Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

Here are my peeves for today.  I have been saving them up.

My toaster has a bagel button.  The bagel button toasts the bagel so it is half burnt and half cold.  I'm going back to the toast button.

Whoever updates XFinity On Demand is on vacation or something because none of the shows that returned this week are available.  I will not call customer service.  I will not. The regular line takes you to a call center in Asia.  That ends in yelling. The helpful (stealth) way to reach a person that can answer questions/help keeps a list of PITA customers who bug them a lot.  Believe me, I asked them if I was on a list because of the amount that XFinity screws with me but they told me there is a list, with example behavior, but I hadn't called the stealth line enough times to get on it.  I still think the regular line has me on a list:)

Next, people around here are losing their damned minds because it might snow tomorrow night.  No carts or parking at the grocery store.  The bread is already gone.  State of emergency starting tomorrow at noon.  Schools already announcing they will be letting out early (five or six hours) before it might start snowing.  We might be snowbound for three days.  There are a lot of temps in the 60s this week and last week for me to believe that.

On the bright side, the storm has a name.  No Snowmageddonapocalypsecatastrophe 2017 this time.  No its named after the matriarch of a soap opera family, originally played by Elizabeth Taylor, who had a diabolical plan to create a weather machine to hold the world for ransom by making it snow.  Winter Storm Helena.

• Love 4

Because I am too lazy to look it up, are there criteria for naming a snow storm like they have for tropical storms and hurricanes?

In general, I find snow storm So-n-so annoying and overly dramatic.  Of course, I don't live where it snows.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, DeLurker said:

Because I am too lazy to look it up, are there criteria for naming a snow storm like they have for tropical storms and hurricanes?

In general, I find snow storm So-n-so annoying and overly dramatic.  Of course, I don't live where it snows.

On researching your question, I am further amused.  Apparently the winter storm names are a weather channel thing. It is poo-pooed by everyone else.  The US government specifically advises not to use those names. Funnily the forecasting service that supports most of my local stations declared that storms shouldn't be given names which has the end result of them being named by the local stations and exchanges like:  This storm may rival Snowmageddon but shouldn't be as bad as Snowpocalypse said with a straight face like any viewer has any idea what they are talking about.

And the weather channel names are provided by a High School Latin class in Montana.

• Love 5
14 minutes ago, DeLurker said:

I believe that is something started by The Weather Channel, although other weather people may be in on it, too. I don't think the National Weather Service names winter storms. The United Kingdom's national weather service does name storms, including winter storms, but I'm not sure it differentiates between winter storms and storms at other times of the year. It's just looking at how serious the storm is.

When I was writing headlines at a newspaper, I preferred Snowmageddon, etc., just because it sounded fun.

Edited by auntlada
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, ParadoxLost said:

My toaster has a bagel button. The bagel button toasts the bagel so it is half burnt and half cold. I'm going back to the toast button.

Stupid toasters. I've taken to heating my bagels in the microwave, convincing myself that they're soft onion pretzels.

Speaking of cooking, I hate when I ruin perfectly good food by inserting myself into the equation. (Tonight's example: Uh oh. Forgot I had something on the stove and now my caramelized onions are ... burnt, I guess you'd call it? Eh, I'll use them anyway.)

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, lordonia said:

Stupid toasters. I've taken to heating my bagels in the microwave, convincing myself that they're soft onion pretzels.

My toaster is new and with too many features.  For the longest time, I just heated it up in the oven.  That worked. 

I gave up on microwaves a while ago.  The house I bought had one installed to close too the stovetop and broke down pretty fast.  Its too close to the range and they don't make a shorter one.  I need the range more and don't want to move all the cabinets up just to have a microwave.  It came down to the microwave on the counter top or my pretty canisters or counter space.  I like my canisters and counter space more than I like having a microwave, apparently.

As someone who is an oddball and has no microwave, I will say that those of you using your microwave and reading the box thinking that TV dinners can really still be heated up in ovens are being lied to.  All those containers melt during cooking now.

I worry sometimes that I'm turning into my Grandmother who had to be talked out of renting her phone from the phone company.  I just like my aesthetics and don't need microwave speed cooking.  Some day I'll move to a house where I can have a microwave without the cabinets and countertop looking blerg.

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, ParadoxLost said:

As someone who is an oddball and has no microwave, I will say that those of you using your microwave and reading the box thinking that TV dinners can really still be heated up in ovens are being lied to.  All those containers melt during cooking now.

ODDBALL!

My microwave died recently and it took two weeks for a special order on the replacement. I did a lot of gusty sighing as I dragged out various pots in the meantime, but reading the instructions on my Atkins frozen meals did me in: Transfer contents to oven-safe container, heat oven to 350 degrees, cook covered for 15 minutes, open and stir, then cook for another 15 minutes.

What am I, an animal!!

• Love 6
5 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

I can't stand the "Once I was ____ years old" song that seems to play on a loop on every radio station. Shut up. You are annoying. Why does everyone like this song? It's like Christmas shoes....I can't stand it.

I HATE that song. The morning radio crew I listen to call it the "'march toward death' song", which cracks me up. They have no power over what is played, since they are syndicated, but based in my city.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, auntlada said:

I believe that is something started by The Weather Channel, although other weather people may be in on it, too. I don't think the National Weather Service names winter storms.

Yes, naming winter storms is a marketing gimmick The Weather Channel started a few years ago.  The National Weather Service pointedly said they would not use names for winter storms, and instructed their staff not to use TWC (or other) winter storm names.

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

I HATE that song. The morning radio crew I listen to call it the "'march toward death' song", which cracks me up. They have no power over what is played, since they are syndicated, but based in my city.

There is another song that annoys the crap out of me.  I never could figure out the name or who sang it.

But it was something like getting ready to go out on Saturday night and turning the radio on to XXX.  Every single radio station had a version of this thing with their call sign in the lyrics.  It meant that every single station played it all the time. 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

I can't stand the "Once I was ____ years old" song that seems to play on a loop on every radio station. Shut up. You are annoying. Why does everyone like this song? It's like Christmas shoes....I can't stand it.

Is that "It Was a Very Good Year"?

If not, I need to know what annoying song I'm missing. As much as I liked George Michael, I've had Father Figure playing on a head loop since the 25th and I seriously need a replacement.

When I was seventeen
It was a very good year
It was a very good year for small town girls
And soft summer nights
We'd hide from the lights
Under the village green
When I was seventeen

When I was twenty-one
It was a very good year
It was a very good year for city girls
Who lived up the stairs
With all that perfumed hair
And it came undone
When I was twenty-one

etc.

Edited by IsleOfWhy
20 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

No, it's "7 Years" by Lukas Graham.  Yes, it is annoying.

21 minutes ago, editorgrrl said:

7 Years by Lukas Graham:

Wow, that's annoying icky - somehow I've missed that tune when looking for local traffic info.

Edited by harrie
5 hours ago, ParadoxLost said:

Here are my peeves for today.  I have been saving them up.

My toaster has a bagel button.  The bagel button toasts the bagel so it is half burnt and half cold.  I'm going back to the toast button.

I purchase Lender's Bagels and keep them in the fridge. The bagel button on my toaster wasn't even lightly toasting them so I thought maybe I needed to use the defrost button first. It turns out only using the defrost button to toast my bagels works better then the bagel one. 

I remembered what my pet peeve was the other day and it was actually Amazon related too. I hate that what appear to be fake selling accounts are turning up on Amazon under the "Other Sellers" section of item listings. They seem to be there for just about everything I look at lately on there. The last two items I noticed it going on under were cat food and air tight pet food containers. For both items the new accounts hadn't sold anything and were listed as being in Brazil.

Whoever updates XFinity On Demand is on vacation or something because none of the shows that returned this week are available.  I will not call customer service.  I will not. The regular line takes you to a call center in Asia.  That ends in yelling. The helpful (stealth) way to reach a person that can answer questions/help keeps a list of PITA customers who bug them a lot.  Believe me, I asked them if I was on a list because of the amount that XFinity screws with me but they told me there is a list, with example behavior, but I hadn't called the stealth line enough times to get on it.  I still think the regular line has me on a list:)

I know I have to definitely be on that list. I don't call alot but when I do.....the conversation goes very poorly. I swear, one day my bill is going to have my first name changed to "B**ch" or something. I would love to see their interoffice notes about me, heh.  Giving them hell about their piss poor service is a great stress reliever.

Anyway, I've cut the middle man out at this point, and threatened to disconnect my service (even over the tiniest issue) and I get straight to the customer retention dept. Their job is to try to keep you with Comcast through any means necessary, and they are usually the folks that resolve issues the quickest.

The last few times I've called them, the CR reps (2 of them) said "I understand. I am a Comcast customer too and I've had the same problem, so I know where you're coming from".  I don't know if that is something they are supposed to parrot or what, but it bugged me.  Its like Comcast is basically telling their reps to admit that their products are shitty as a way to relate to their customers. I don't want someone relating with me over a shitty product. I just want a functional product at a reasonable price.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, IsleOfWhy said:

Thanks! I have heard that before.

The guy's got an interesting tone to his voice that doesn't match his appearance.

I agree that the voice is interesting, but I feel sorry for those of you who hear this constantly.  I never heard it before, and I had a hard time listening to the entire thing even ONCE.  I hated the lyrics - at age 11 he was smoking weed and drinking whiskey, and his dad told him to get a wife?  Then at the end, he talks about  being 60, and it's like 60 is 90  - lonely old man hoping his kids visit.  Ugh.  I hate it.

• Love 2

My pet peeve this week -  I'm going to a wedding in a few weeks.  Why is it so difficult to find a nice dress, fancy enough for a wedding, that has SLEEVES (it's Chicago, it's winter) and isn't obscenely short? (i'm too old for mini dresses)  Everything it sleeveless, and/or a short lace thing that looks to me almost like lingerie.  

Edited by backformore
  • Love 5

On the storm naming front, I recall hearing on Wait Wait Don't Tell Me, that people take storms with female names less seriously than those with male names with often hazardous results.  Perhaps Hurricane Katrina stopped that.

6 hours ago, backformore said:

My pet peeve this week -  I'm going to a wedding in a few weeks.  Why is it so difficult to find a nice dress, fancy enough for a wedding, that has SLEEVES (it's Chicago, it's winter) and isn't obscenely short? (i'm too old for mini dresses)  Everything it sleeveless, and/or a short lace thing that looks to me almost like lingerie.  

Ugh, I know! OK, I will never be too old for a mini anything but my arms get cold easily and I like sleeves!

16 minutes ago, Qoass said:

On the storm naming front, I recall hearing on Wait Wait Don't Tell Me, that people take storms with female names less seriously than those with male names with often hazardous results.  Perhaps Hurricane Katrina stopped that.

Pet peeve: People are idiots.

• Love 9
30 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

Y'all can't just feed me an opening like that and not expect me to do this:

Thank you. I thought of this and have been singing it all morning. When I thought of it, I knew if I posted it, you'd agree.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, JTMacc99 said:

Pet peeve: People are idiots.

Well, who's left to read this Forum? Goats? LOL

Along those lines, I somewhat get peeved when folks praise humanity for positive actions yet blame 'society' for every individual and collective unpleasant choice. So who exactly composes society? LOL

• Love 2

I don't know if this is a peeve but I am wearing new updated glasses today and, ughhhh--curse the "getting used to" stage! It's on par with "itchy healing tattoo" period. Blah, I feel mildly queasy so far!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 3
16 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

I don't know if this is a peeve but I am wearing new updated glasses today and, ughhhh--curse the "getting used to" stage! It's on par with "itchy healing tattoo" period. Blah, I feel mildly queasy so far!

I got the progressive lenses for the first time when I got these glasses. I have never been as uncomfortable with a new pair of glasses in my life as I was with these.  Apparently MANY people get pissed off before they get used to them and go back and demand normal lenses.  I stuck it out because I need to be able to read the damn computer without sticking my face right up to the screen, and that outweighed the crazy new way of looking through my glasses they require.

Did your vision change from the last pair TattleTeeny, or is it just the way the new glasses are different from the old pair?

Edited by JTMacc99
  • Love 2

I think I'm in the same boat as you were. I had one prescription, which I needed for computer and night driving--and I've always had two pairs, one of which I leave in the car at all times (while I can get by at work if I forget them, I am not trying to drive at night glasses-less!). At my last exam, I learned that my prescription changed and that I should be wearing glasses more often than I had been--and this is tricky to me right now, as I never wore them just, you know, walking around doing day-to-day things (for example, if I get up from my desk to get coffee or go to the bathroom, I take them off first). So, they suggested two sets: one for computer/reading and another for driving. This, however, made me nuts because if I am to continue my "always have a spare" policy, I'd need...four pairs?! NO!

So, I opted for one pair of "everything bagel," which I can use across the board, while my old frames have been updated to just my reading prescription. I can just leave those on my desk at work, I guess; whether I plan to or not, that's likely what will happen. Still, though, it's the night driving that concerns me because that was my big reason for having a dupe set that always stayed in the car. Now I need to remember to keep the "everything bagel" pair with me always. Maybe I better take Leave-at-Work pair back and have them made into the same as Everything Pair?

And this is not a vanity thing (I actually like how I look in glasses) but I still can't get used to the idea that I should leave them on all day. First-world problems, I know; I'm very lucky that I can relatively easily and not too expensively get the eye care I need. But oh my goodness, this day is a tricky one, as I am doing proofreading onscreen and in hard copy (and what about my tipsy TV viewing lying around on the couch? Who wants glasses on then?!)

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 1
On Thursday, January 05, 2017 at 11:46 AM, topanga said:

What is it with men and their aversion to women's health? Periods, specifically?

We babysat our grandaughters one day. At dinner, the 7-year-old volunteered to say grace.  She said, "Thank you for the fun day we had.  Thank you that we have each other and this good food we are going to eat...(Long thoughtful pause)...And please help Mommy to be less crampy."  Stunned silence from us.  Her grandfather made a TMI face and asked me why this was a topic of discussion at the dinner table. I said I was sure that wasn't the word she meant to use.  She thought carefully and said,"No, I think I meant cranky."  Amen!

Edited by Angeltoes
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, Angeltoes said:

We babysat our grandaughters one day. At dinner, the 7-year-old volunteered to say grace.  She said, "Thank you for the fun day we had.  Thank you that we have each other and this good food we are going to eat...(Long thoughtful pause)...And please help Mommy to be less crampy."  Stunned silence from us.  Her grandfather made a TMI face and asked me why this was a topic of discussion at the dinner table. I said I was sure that wasn't the word she meant to use.  She thought carefully and said,"No, I think I meant cranky."  Amen!

This takes me back to the peeve about some men being so twitchy about women's bodies and health.  Let's say this wasn't a (very cute) choice of the wrong word and her mom did have cramps - why would it be an issue for her to pray that she feels better?  I doubt he would have objected if she prayed for her mom's headache to go away.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 4

I don't get it either.  This same man used to work with a bunch of other middle-aged guys.  They thought nothing of proudly farting at the lunch table.  Then the other baboons at the table would grade the gassy one on things like "lingering endurance" and "odor" like it was an Olympic event.  It was a source of pride to get high marks.  

• Love 1
5 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

I got the progressive lenses for the first time when I got these glasses. I have never been as uncomfortable with a new pair of glasses in my life as I was with these.  Apparently MANY people get pissed off before they get used to them and go back and demand normal lenses.  I stuck it out because I need to be able to read the damn computer without sticking my face right up to the screen, and that outweighed the crazy new way of looking through my glasses they require.

Did your vision change from the last pair TattleTeeny, or is it just the way the new glasses are different from the old pair?

Progressive lenses are really tough to get used to.  I wear mine every moment that I'm not in the shower or in bed, I'm that blind.   But the hardest thing with progressives was walking down a flight of stairs - distance perception is distorted, and I couldn't tell when the steps were going to end.  

• Love 4

You guys are not encouraging. I'm going to have to get bifocals next time I go to the eye doctor, and I want progressive ones rather than ones with lines, but I already have issues with depth perception.

My mother used to use words to make my brother stop talking about inappropriate things at supper. (Things like how to fix a bloated calf.) I don't know what her words are beyond "breast," though, because that is all she ever had to say.

• Love 6

I just got progressive/multifocal contact lenses.  My near vision was perfect immediately, I could read easily for the first time in ages.  The distance vision has taken some time to get used to, but overall my life is easier than it was with single-focus lenses. And, no, I haven't tripped on stairs.  

Progressive lenses are really tough to get used to.  I wear mine every moment that I'm not in the shower or in bed, I'm that blind.   But the hardest thing with progressives was walking down a flight of stairs - distance perception is distorted, and I couldn't tell when the steps were going to end.  

Oh lordy, I'm clumsy at best, haha! This will be fun!

Update: I drove home in them and not bad. Shortly after I made the first post about it, it started to level off!

• Love 1

I moved up to full-time glasses wearing including progressive lenses about three years ago, and I still come really close to tripping when stepping up on a curb, walking on uneven ground, etc.  They also bug me because I just don't like having them on my face all the time, or seeing the edge of the lens out of the corner of my eye.  

34 minutes ago, harrie said:

I moved up to full-time glasses wearing including progressive lenses about three years ago, and I still come really close to tripping when stepping up on a curb, walking on uneven ground, etc.  They also bug me because I just don't like having them on my face all the time, or seeing the edge of the lens out of the corner of my eye.  

That part won't bother me. I've had glasses for about 40 years, minus a few years in high school and college when I wore contacts.

4 hours ago, Angeltoes said:

I don't get it either.  This same man used to work with a bunch of other middle-aged guys.  They thought nothing of proudly farting at the lunch table.  Then the other baboons at the table would grade the gassy one on things like "lingering endurance" and "odor" like it was an Olympic event.  It was a source of pride to get high marks.  

The 12-year-old in me can't help but laugh at the thought of farting as an Olympic event!

• Love 2

I know we moved passed the period discussion, but it was so timely.  I was just at a happy hour with 3 men (plus me, so only 4 people) and the men had a discussion of the finer points of tampons, their costs, periods and one comment on pregnancy.  Not "Eww.  GROSS! GROSS! GROSS!" from any of them.  Only one of them is married (to a woman), one is single but in a relationship and the other totally single (I don't even know if he dates).  All in their mid to late 30s.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

I do like to bring up the Men in Black line when applicable. Which is often.

A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it.

I want that on a shirt.

• Love 2

Ok men, don't read this.  

We've been talking about how cold it is.  My old lady peeve is god damn night sweats. My bed is in front of a big window, it's been in the low 30s at night and I sleep with my window wide open. The poor cat gets so cold she burrows under the blankets. So I sleep under a huge window in freezing temperatures, wearing just my underwear and covered in just a sheet and I still wake up drenched every. damn. day.  It sucks and I'm so friggin sick of it.  Nothing I try has helped.  I have to change my sheets and mattress pad damn near every day along with my pillows and body pillow.  I think I'm the oldest woman here at 51 but have any of you women ever had this and what can be done for it? 

Ok men, you can read again.

My peeve for the day is people who name their kids ridiculous names. There's a woman on one of the local Facebook garage sale things and her son is named Jho'chya, which she pronounces Josiah.   Why?  Why do that to a poor kid?  He'll have to spell that name every time he says it.  This kid has an eye condition, he was only born with one eye and his mother exploits that trying to get people to give her stuff but that a whole different peeve. 

Who do people do this to kids?  What's wrong with Josiah? 

• Love 3
32 minutes ago, aquarian1 said:

Not "Eww.  GROSS! GROSS! GROSS!" from any of them.  Only one of them is married (to a woman), one is single but in a relationship and the other totally single (I don't even know if he dates).  All in their mid to late 30s.

I do think, on average, there are generational distinctions when looking at men's reactions.  To make another sweeping generalization based on anecdotal evidence, it also seems, especially among men 40ish and under, that those who have sisters tend to be less squeamish about it.  Sure, some of them grew up in households where it was treated like a dirty secret, but for a lot of them it was just part of family life -- sometimes someone has a headache, sometimes someone has gas, sometimes someone has cramps, etc.  Sometimes the grocery list includes Immodium, sometimes it includes Tampax.  It's all just what happens and they're either private and selective about discussing things like that or they're open about it, but whatever they are, it's across the board -- they're not open about everything else, but freaked out by the mention, or mere existence, of periods.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 4

I've NEVER understood why men get so stupid over "women's" issues. I would never be with a guy who couldn't handle that kind of talk or a man who thinks buying tampons is humiliating. My guy has always bought female products for me and he doesn't give a shit.  My son is the same way, he buys his girls products if needed. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Maharincess said:

Ok men, don't read this.  

We've been talking about how cold it is.  My old lady peeve is god damn night sweats. My bed is in front of a big window, it's been in the low 30s at night and I sleep with my window wide open. The poor cat gets so cold she burrows under the blankets. So I sleep under a huge window in freezing temperatures, wearing just my underwear and covered in just a sheet and I still wake up drenched every. damn. day.  It sucks and I'm so friggin sick of it.  Nothing I try has helped.  I have to change my sheets and mattress pad damn near every day along with my pillows and body pillow.  I think I'm the oldest woman here at 51 but have any of you women ever had this and what can be done for it? 

Ok men, you can read again.

My peeve for the day is people who name their kids ridiculous names. There's a woman on one of the local Facebook garage sale things and her son is named Jho'chya, which she pronounces Josiah.   Why?  Why do that to a poor kid?  He'll have to spell that name every time he says it.  This kid has an eye condition, he was only born with one eye and his mother exploits that trying to get people to give her stuff but that a whole different peeve. 

Who do people do this to kids?  What's wrong with Josiah? 

Men, read at your own risk or scroll on.....

@Maharincess, if it gives you any comfort, you are not the oldest one here. Unfortunately, I cannot help you much with the night sweats. There are potential remedies (Hormone Replacement Therapy, antidepressants and other medications) for them, but I've always decided the night sweats were less of a problem than the treatments.  It's also theorized that eating soy products, like tofu or textured vegetable protein (Boca Burgers, Morningstar stuff) can help relieve them - I eat them about once a week, but I have the feeling you'd have to eat them every day to have some impact.  Just in case this has some ideas you haven't already tried - here.  I haven't found an easy answer - I'm still on and off with the bed clothes all night. Best of luck in this fun adventure.

• Love 2