Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

Something that peeves me is not being able to delete emojis and fellow posters' names inside a post.

I’m curious what you mean because I don’t think I’ve run across it. Do you mean within a quote box, or when you’re editing your own post, or…?

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

I’m curious what you mean because I don’t think I’ve run across it. Do you mean within a quote box, or when you’re editing your own post, or…?

When I'm editing my own post.

• Useful 1
(edited)
18 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

When I'm editing my own post.

Oh now you have me curious. I can’t remember that I’ve tried that, but I wonder if it’s browser specific.  

Let me try it on iPhone/safari …

edit- I had multiple users and emojis at the end of my original post, and it let me delete them (placed my cursor at the end of the post and backspaced multiple times). So not sure if that helps with your peeve or not. 

Edited by SoMuchTV
Testing!!
  • Like 1
17 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Oh now you have me curious. I can’t remember that I’ve tried that, but I wonder if it’s browser specific.  

Let me try it on iPhone/safari …

edit- I had multiple users and emojis at the end of my original post, and it let me delete them (placed my cursor at the end of the post and backspaced multiple times). So not sure if that helps with your peeve or not. 

Sadly, no. But thanks for your help. I have an android phone...maybe that's why?

11 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Sadly, no. But thanks for your help. I have an android phone...maybe that's why?

That’s weird. If I remember, I’ll try it on a pc tomorrow, in case you’re peeved enough to make a bug report. I’m sure knowing what devices/browsers have the problem will help them narrow down the issue. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
4 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

No luck for me on Android, either. 

Okay, I'm going  try my Android.

1 minute ago, peacheslatour said:

It worked.

Edited by peacheslatour
(edited)
14 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

That’s weird. If I remember, I’ll try it on a pc tomorrow, in case you’re peeved enough to make a bug report. I’m sure knowing what devices/browsers have the problem will help them narrow down the issue. 

Okay... on my pc - win11, Firefox

@users:

Emojis:

I'll come back and try to edit in a bit.

---

And... deletes successful

Edited by SoMuchTV
Testing Win11/Firefox

I am sure this has come up before, but leggings! Target used to have the best ones and they were discontinued a while back. They were slightly shiny -- not my favorite thing, but the shine wasn't super-egregious and it kept them from getting all linty like matte-finish ones do. I still have them, but the tag with the fabric content has long since faded, so I can't use that info to find a duplicate! 

(edited)
7 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

I am sure this has come up before, but leggings! Target used to have the best ones and they were discontinued a while back. They were slightly shiny -- not my favorite thing, but the shine wasn't super-egregious and it kept them from getting all linty like matte-finish ones do. I still have them, but the tag with the fabric content has long since faded, so I can't use that info to find a duplicate! 

The only leggings in cold weather that I love are Cuddleduds. They're thin but warm. Kohl's is the only place I've found them and they come in one color...sort of black with a very fine gray thread running through. I'll have to post a link to them if I can find them (bought two more sets this past fall and might buy more). Also, Old Navy has leggings I like (I think I get the Jet Black) ones. They're a teence thicker without being "thick". Neither of these brands are shiny though.

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Like 4
  • Useful 1
4 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Thanks! Bear in mind, I work at home and I have 2 long-haired cats -- hence my lint/fur issue!

I have one long-haired cat. I think Old Navy offers these leggings in other colors..maybe ones that match your cats! If my cat were all black, it would be great but she's Tuxedo. I just had to edit my previous post as those Cuddledud leggings that I love have a touch of gray, but the dominant color is dark charcoal. Loooove 'em 🩶.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
3 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I have one long-haired cat. I think Old Navy offers these leggings in other colors..maybe ones that match your cats! If my cat were all black, it would be great but she's Tuxedo. I just had to edit my previous post as those Cuddledud leggings that I love have a touch of gray, but the dominant color is dark charcoal. Loooove 'em 🩶.

image.png.564a12aa8771cfaf530e6300298f32ba.png

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 13
  • Love 1
(edited)
On 2/6/2024 at 9:55 AM, KittyMom4 said:

I know exactly what you mean, it's something I've always pondered as well. I think it has been hitting me harder now that I'm a few years out of retirement age and I start reminiscing about the coworkers that have come and gone. Some were great friends for a time and then one of us moved on to a new position/department and eventually lost touch, kinda sad, but it is the natural way of things. 

When I analyze this more this kid/guy even if we weren’t really close back then is still apart of fund memories I have as a kid.

So perhaps why this is hitting me all of a sudden.

which makes me wonder what in present day and trigger me to be sad 30 years down the road 

I know exactly what you mean, it's something I've always pondered as well. I think it has been hitting me harder now that I'm a few years out of retirement age and I start reminiscing about the coworkers that have come and gone. Some were great friends for a time and then one of us moved on to a new position/department and eventually lost touch, kinda sad, but it is the natural way of things. 

When I analyze this more this kid/guy even if we weren’t really close back then is still apart of fund memories I have as a kid.

which makes me wonder what in present day and trigger me to be sad 30 years down the road 

I know exactly what you mean, it's something I've always pondered as well. I think it has been hitting me harder now that I'm a few years out of retirement age and I start reminiscing about the coworkers that have come and gone. Some were great friends for a time and then one of us moved on to a new position/department and eventually lost touch, kinda sad, but it is the natural way of 

Edited by BlueSkies
Edit: I am triggered my WiFi cuts out and all of a sudden 3 replies are there!
  • Like 1

This is embarrassing, but I'm getting increasingly annoyed by this trend of communication (especially beloved by people who outrank me at work):

Person: "Wiendish!"

Me: "Yes?"

Person: "Hi."

Yeah, they never have anything to ask or tell me, and there's always that obnoxious, accompanying smirk, like "I just made you think I had something to tell you, but I didn't, and I successfully wasted your time, you stupid peon".

It just strikes me as such a petty power move, and I hate how dumb it makes me look. I just need to be on my guard, I guess.

• Like 3
  • Fire 1
  • Useful 1
51 minutes ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

This is embarrassing, but I'm getting increasingly annoyed by this trend of communication (especially beloved by people who outrank me at work):

Yeah, they never have anything to ask or tell me, and there's always that obnoxious, accompanying smirk, like "I just made you think I had something to tell you, but I didn't, and I successfully wasted your time, you stupid peon".

It just strikes me as such a petty power move, and I hate how dumb it makes me look. I just need to be on my guard, I guess.

This sounds like "the latest" from middle school. If it were happening to me, as soon as someone said, "annzee?" I'd just look at them (no expression).  When they would say "Hi"...I'd simply nod my head & get back to what I was doing. 

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
2 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

This sounds like "the latest" from middle school. If it were happening to me, as soon as someone said, "annzee?" I'd just look at them (no expression).  When they would say "Hi"...I'd simply nod my head & get back to what I was doing. 

I'd just go "Uh huh" and go back to work. No reaction, no expression.

• Like 7

I’m looking into grad programs for a career change and I cannot stand admissions counselors spamming me with multiple weekly phone calls and voice mails. Especially after I said email is my preferred communication. These are legitimate schools too, not for-profit diploma mills. I think maybe one or two schools have not blown up my phone so far. Like look, yes I am excited to consider and research your program, but believe me if I want to set up a call I will. It’s kind of a turnoff as well if you’re so pushy to get me into your program. 

• Fire 1
  • Applause 2
(edited)
4 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

I truly don't understand this from any perspective. Are they just saying hi? 

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 2

The library I work in has a chatbot that is not restricted to people affiliated with the university. At certain times of the year we get a lot middle and high schoolers using it and when it's an actual reference question I am happy to answer (for some reason primary sources for eras of American history are popular). But when the conversation starts with "hi!" I'm poised to block the IP.

I've only had my smartphone for four years, and already it has to be replaced because the battery doesn't really charge as quickly and I can't use an important app because I need to upgrade my phone. Ugh.

• Sad 2
40 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

I was just picturing the dog in my avatar with the rose in your avatar pinned to its hair, @ginger90. Like they were made for each other.

I noticed that too. It's a cool juxtaposition. You guys have to post together from now on. ❤️

• Like 4
  • Love 2

I'm so mad, y'all.  And a little sad.  About a week ago, I ordered these special, limited edition shoes the minute they were released -- they're so pretty!  Red with golden dragons embroidered near the heels for the Lunar New Year.  I'm a Dragon, so I really wanted these shoes!  Anyway, they arrived today, and instead of the Women's size 7, the box contained a pair of Men's size 12.  And because the shoes are limited edition, and it's been a week, they are sold out of the red ones.   

They were apologetic about it, and sent me a return label, but I really wanted those shoes! (I need another pair of shoes like I need a hole in my head, but they're so pretty!  Even the giant (to me) shoes are pretty!)  

• Hugs 1
  • Sad 11

DAMMIT!

I got my license today. With the OLD picture! And NONE of the changes I completed when I was AT the MVA two weeks ago! I was assured that all those updates would be in the new license and that the most recent picture taken would be on the new license!

I'm going to call them tomorrow and ask if they can please send me one with the correct information and updated picture please and thank you.

I know, I know, I'm being shallow, but I can't help it. 

• Like 5
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Hugs 4
17 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

DAMMIT!

I got my license today. With the OLD picture! And NONE of the changes I completed when I was AT the MVA two weeks ago! I was assured that all those updates would be in the new license and that the most recent picture taken would be on the new license!

I'm going to call them tomorrow and ask if they can please send me one with the correct information and updated picture please and thank you.

I know, I know, I'm being shallow, but I can't help it. 

If you old picture is anything like the one I am currently stuck with, then you are not being shallow.  I get to spend the next 6 years with an absolutely horrid ID photo because I was too tall for the camera.  I'm still a bit salty that the wonderfully pleasant (please note my heavy sarcasm) DMV worker knew the camera was not at the correct angle for me, she even graciously took a second photograph, and refused to adjust the camera between takes.  

• Mind Blown 3
  • Sad 2
  • Fire 1
(edited)

Yesterday my husband had lens replacement surgery.  We were waiting in the prep area, he with a sticker that said "Yes" on his forehead over his left eye, & I busy watching the surgeons walking past (mega ortho surgery day, including several of the orthopedic surgeons we've both seen over the past few years).  All of a sudden one of them came into our cubicle, walked right up to MrP914, asked how he's doing, then turned to me, asked how I was doing.  He thought my husband was his next surgery patient 😁.  It was really funny (his patient was in the cubicle next door). It was nice to see him though...he did my rotator cuff surgery in 2016 & last year did my husband's torn meniscus.  He's an excellent surgeon...once he fixes your issue, you're totally repaired! Husband's surgery went very well & he's ready to watch the Superbowl on Sunday (but is taking it easy...no heavy lifting, etc). 

Oh geez...I put this in the wrong thread.  Just like my ortho surgeon walking into the wrong cubicle 😄

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Like 4
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1
24 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Yesterday my husband had lens replacement surgery.  We were waiting in the prep area, he with a sticker that said "Yes" on his forehead over his left eye, & I busy watching the surgeons walking past (mega ortho surgery day, including several of the orthopedic surgeons we've both seen over the past few years).  All of a sudden one of them came into our cubicle, walked right up to MrP914, asked how he's doing, then turned to me, asked how I was doing.  He thought my husband was his next surgery patient 😁.  It was really funny (hisIs l patient was in the cubicle next door). It was nice to see him though...he did my rotator cuff surgery in 2016 & last year did my husband's torn meniscus.  He's an excellent surgeon...once he fixes your issue, you're totally repaired! Husband's surgery went very well & he's ready to watch the Superbowl on Sunday (but is taking it easy...no heavy lifting, etc). 

Oh geez...I put this in the wrong thread.  Just like my ortho surgeon walking into the wrong cubicle 😄

Is lens replacement the same as cataract surgery? I'm seeing my eye doc on the 19th to schedule that for myself.

(edited)

I am feeling way peevish today.

First peeve: The BBfuckingC &/or Brtibox. 1. They have the whole of British TV forever and there's so much good stuff they could show but choose not to. 2. If they're going to run a show, run the whole fucking show! WTF with airing a season of Pointless, for example, and then skipping a couple of years and running another season? 3. Also WTF with filming things and then not running them, even in the UK, for a year or more? How long ago did Moonflower Murders finish filming, for instance? 4. And why don't you announce when things are going to air more than 3 days in advance? 5. Dearest Beeb...why won't you sell TV licenses to people outside of the UK? I would be happy to buy one just to feed my quiz show addiction without having to run a VPN to get into iplayer, especially since it rarely works for me, or rely on the kindness of YT strangers/official feeds that cut up quiz shows that should run sequentially, like Pointless. I don't want to watch selected games from season 5 or whatever, I want to follow the contestants and see who stays and who goes. And with ROHOG...it's UK celebrities, do you expect to open up vast foreign markets for this? 6. Britbox, where the hell are the other Gardeners' World specials?! GAH!!!

Second peeve: what's with the dill pickle shortage in Connecticut?

Edited by ABay
  • Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Fire 2
  • Applause 1
2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Is lens replacement the same as cataract surgery? I'm seeing my eye doc on the 19th to schedule that for myself.

No. This was a 2 hour surgery as they also removed glaucoma. The lens, that had been implanted in 1995, had slipped, so it was replaced. Cataract surgery is quicker and (relatively speaking) simpler. I had it done in December and was awake the whole time (didn't feel anything). 

• Thanks 1
  • Useful 1

Peeve:  I'm part of a group on a social platform for people from my age cohort who are neither true Generation Xers or Millennials.  I posted about the young lady and her skin tone outfit on that group and got nothing but negative comments, telling me to stop.  I'm an adult and I'm allowed to say things I want to say.  I openly admit that I can be a "pearl clutcher" at times, and I really think I should be allowed.  Being the way I am is probably WHY a lot of people who think like me keep their mouths shut these days.  That said, I'm really glad that people here aren't like that!  Or at least I don't participate on shows where there are tons of flame wars!

• Like 6
28 minutes ago, PRgal said:

Peeve:  I'm part of a group on a social platform for people from my age cohort who are neither true Generation Xers or Millennials.  I posted about the young lady and her skin tone outfit on that group and got nothing but negative comments, telling me to stop.  I'm an adult and I'm allowed to say things I want to say.  I openly admit that I can be a "pearl clutcher" at times, and I really think I should be allowed.  Being the way I am is probably WHY a lot of people who think like me keep their mouths shut these days.  That said, I'm really glad that people here aren't like that!  Or at least I don't participate on shows where there are tons of flame wars!

You can say whatever you want (within reason, of course) on these sites. But be prepared for the snide backlash. 

Speaking of skin tone leggings, on one episode of Fixer Upper, a woman was wearing these leggings. At first I thought she wasn't wearing *anything* under her tunic top! I'd never seen skin tone leggings before. 

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

You can say whatever you want (within reason, of course) on these sites. But be prepared for the snide backlash. 

Speaking of skin tone leggings, on one episode of Fixer Upper, a woman was wearing these leggings. At first I thought she wasn't wearing *anything* under her tunic top! I'd never seen skin tone leggings before. 

They exist, but they're SUPPOSED to be meant for people with skin tones VERY DIFFERENT from said legging colour.  Like, I'd look fine in a medium brown, but Susan Kelechi Watson from This is Us would look like she wasn't wearing pants.

• Useful 3
7 hours ago, PRgal said:

I posted about the young lady and her skin tone outfit on that group and got nothing but negative comments, telling me to stop.

I do want to commend you for calling the outfit "skin tone" rather than "nude".  That's my gripe with retail and fashion sites - 99% of the time when they call something "nude" they really only mean nude for a medium-toned Caucasian person. I bought a "nude" bra from Amazon and flagged the description as inaccurate a couple years back.  I'll have to go back and see if it's still listed, and if the color is still described that way.  I  suspect it is.

• Like 6
On 2/9/2024 at 3:29 PM, ABay said:

Dearest Beeb...why won't you sell TV licenses to people outside of the UK? 

I’ve been saying this ever since we moved to the US. Take my money please and give me something decent to watch!!

• Like 4
  • Applause 3
On 2/9/2024 at 1:51 PM, annzeepark914 said:

Yesterday my husband had lens replacement surgery.  We were waiting in the prep area, he with a sticker that said "Yes" on his forehead over his left eye, & I busy watching the surgeons walking past (mega ortho surgery day, including several of the orthopedic surgeons we've both seen over the past few years).  All of a sudden one of them came into our cubicle, walked right up to MrP914, asked how he's doing, then turned to me, asked how I was doing.  He thought my husband was his next surgery patient 😁.  It was really funny (his patient was in the cubicle next door). It was nice to see him though...he did my rotator cuff surgery in 2016 & last year did my husband's torn meniscus.  He's an excellent surgeon...once he fixes your issue, you're totally repaired! Husband's surgery went very well & he's ready to watch the Superbowl on Sunday (but is taking it easy...no heavy lifting, etc). 

I’ve had two, a month apart.  The best thing ever!  Came right home and mytv was spectacular… brilliant colors, clear and beautiful.  It’s unbelievable what they can do in a matter of minutes.

• Like 4
17 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I do want to commend you for calling the outfit "skin tone" rather than "nude".  That's my gripe with retail and fashion sites - 99% of the time when they call something "nude" they really only mean nude for a medium-toned Caucasian person. I bought a "nude" bra from Amazon and flagged the description as inaccurate a couple years back.  I'll have to go back and see if it's still listed, and if the color is still described that way.  I  suspect it is.

I've seen some bra companies (for example) offer several shades of "nude" so I tend to use it interchangeably.  

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, PRgal said:

I've seen some bra companies (for example) offer several shades of "nude" so I tend to use it interchangeably.  

FWIW, when I searched on Amazon for "nude bras" the models in the pictures were overwhelmingly white women, modeling bras that kinda-sorta matched their skin tone.  When I searched for "skin tone bras" the models were women of a wide variety of colors, modeling bras almost none of which were anywhere close to their skin tone.  I have no idea what my point is here.  Just seemed interesting.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2

My pet peeve of the day is that my refrigerator is giving up the ghost! The freezer still OK, but fridge thermometer says "danger zone, 50°". It has been a reliable old guy, replacing the brand new one I bought when I moved here (2004) that died at 2yrs2mos. This one was made in 1998, bought it off an ad, but I think is finally going. It has served me well. But now I need to go up to town and buy a new one ASAP!

• Mind Blown 2
  • Sad 6

@Gramto6 Make sure you really check them out. We got the freezer on top (which is what I need as I don't want to always be bending over for ice, etc). But the shelves are so...limited in height?? I'm *always* bending, trying to see what's hidden in the back of each shelf 🤬. Now I wish we'd bought the side by side.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1