Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

(edited)

Gillian Anderson wears a dress covered in embroidered vaginas

Except they were labium (the plural of labia.  So my peeve is adults who don't know the correct name for parts of their bodies, including the actress, the designer and all of the people commenting on it.  (Also adults who use kiddie nicknames like va-jay-jay for body parts, but that's a separate peeve).  

Edited by Quof
Edited because improper word usage, including incorrect grammar and vocabulary, is another Pet Peeve.
  • Like 7
  • Applause 5
23 minutes ago, Quof said:

Except they were labium (the plural of labia).

Other way round. It's "labia" that's the plural, "labium" the singular.

Did she drive there in a Vulva?

• Like 1
  • LOL 14
1 hour ago, Quof said:

So my peeve is adults who don't know the correct name for parts of their bodies, including the actress, the designer and all of the people commenting on it.  (Also adults who use kiddie nicknames like va-jay-jay for body parts, but that's a separate peeve).  

For years now, every one of the many times I see/her the vulva referred to as the vagina instead, including by those who have them, I grumble that we need a nationwide reprinting and distribution of Our Bodies, Ourselves, delivered to every doorstep like the phone book used to be.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, Quof said:

Gillian Anderson wears a dress covered in embroidered vaginas

Except they were labium (the plural of labia.  So my peeve is adults who don't know the correct name for parts of their bodies, including the actress, the designer and all of the people commenting on it.  (Also adults who use kiddie nicknames like va-jay-jay for body parts, but that's a separate peeve).  

Had a grown man on a dating app refer to his wee wee a lot. Lol

• Mind Blown 4
16 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

The site is doing it again. All of my followed shows have gone back to page one.

Mark site as read then hit refresh. Someone posted about it and the admin said this was due to an update earlier today.

• Thanks 1
17 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

The site is doing it again. All of my followed shows have gone back to page one.

Yeah, they did their update again that they rolled back last time because of how slow it was making the site while it ran in the background.  This time it only resulted in a few of my threads showing up as yellow despite no new content, so much less annoying.

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Mark site as read then hit refresh. Someone posted about it and the admin said this was due to an update earlier today.

Okay, I did that and now it's an even bigger mess. I give up.

• Sad 1
Just now, peacheslatour said:

Okay, I did that and now it's an even bigger mess. I give up.

oh boy. It happened to me and after hitting "mark site as read" nothing happened. So then I hit my refresh and my screen was normal again and all the old forums/threads that have had no activity were back to gray again.

I would suggest posting in the Bugs thread.

• Like 1
(edited)

it looks like all the awards threads, instead of being in one handy dandy spot, are now all individual threads that you either have to add all of them to your home page or hunt for them when you want to read/post in them.

In fact, it looks like any single thread forums are now full forums, which is why they turned yellow. Some have disappeared from my home page and I’m hunting them down and are re-following. They don’t get a lot of activity, but I like them there in case they do, I.e. The Dick van Dyke Show, MASH, WKRP, etc…

I’m still looking for TV Movies: Hallmark, Hallmark Mysteries, Christmas, etc…l

Edited by chitowngirl
  • Fire 3
(edited)
4 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

it looks like all the awards threads, instead of being in one handy dandy spot, are now all individual threads that you either have to add all of them to your home page or hunt for them when you want to read/post in them.

Indeed.  (I confirmed this, but also that now any new award show, TV movie, special, other one-off, etc. thread will show up in the Recently Added TV Shows section at the bottom of the home page when created -- we have to add each one individually to our customized home pages, but at least we still have a way of knowing new threads in which we may be interested have been created.)

I love how years ago they did this huge overhaul in which they condensed all the forums for old shows into single threads (either merging or vaulting the old multi-thread forums -- and then in the case of the M shows archive, losing the entire goddamn thing in an update and simply shrugging) and now everything is a forum, with multiple threads within allowed, again.  🙄 

Thankfully, as I said when this briefly existed the other day, the single thread shows had their topics converted to the new [Show - General Discussion] threads within their new forums and those threads originally followed still show up on the customized home page. 

Edit:  Except, once again scratch that last part -- now they're gone, and I have to go find each of those shows' new forums and follow those instead in order to restore my customized home page.  Fanfuckingtastic; most shows on my home page were single thread shows.  Edit #2:  But, wait again -- only some of them are gone.  Maybe still a work in progress?  <sigh>  Edit #3: And now they seem to be back.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 6

Sigh. You can’t even browse through ALL the shows to see if you caught all of yours because they only list the “popular” shows under the Comedy, Drama, etc. headings. I think I got all of mine plus the added award shows, threads from TV movies, limited series…but there’s no master list of shows that I can find…

• Like 3
(edited)
20 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

Sigh. You can’t even browse through ALL the shows to see if you caught all of yours because they only list the “popular” shows under the Comedy, Drama, etc. headings. I think I got all of mine plus the added award shows, threads from TV movies, limited series…but there’s no master list of shows that I can find…

I'm comparing it to my follows.  I never use that, just my customized home page, but there is a list of followed topics -- I'm using that to see which formerly single topic shows that now have forums are no longer on my home page and following the new forums so they'll get back on there.  It's quite a few so far!

(And that's only helping me so much, as I had Award Shows, One-Offs, etc. on my home page, and wasn't following any threads within those [because following within those categories didn't add them to your page], so those I'm really going to have to poke around.) 

But there's a way to expand each of those genre headings to get a master list; I saw a screencap somewhere -- you click on the heading (e.g. Drama) and it will show you all, not just the popular list.

Edited by Bastet
  • Useful 3
13 hours ago, Bastet said:

Edit:  Except, once again scratch that last part -- now they're gone, and I have to go find each of those shows' new forums and follow those instead in order to restore my customized home page.  Fanfuckingtastic; most shows on my home page were single thread shows.  Edit #2:  But, wait again -- only some of them are gone.  Maybe still a work in progress?  <sigh>  Edit #3: And now they seem to be back.

This is so godamned frustrating and a complete waste of time-I have to go and unfollow shows that I maybe posted in ONCE many years ago, and instead of reinstating the old forums that were condensed-IF we want to create threads, "we" can do it. Until the next time it's condensed?

• Like 2
  • Fire 1
14 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

Sigh. You can’t even browse through ALL the shows to see if you caught all of yours because they only list the “popular” shows under the Comedy, Drama, etc. headings.

If you click on the category heading it lists all of the shows under that category.  

17 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

Can't you use the "TV Show Index" (near the bottom of your home page, right above "Beyond TV") to see all shows in order, regardless of category, with the ones you follow in bold??  That still works for me.

2 hours ago, SweetSable said:

If you click on the category heading it lists all of the shows under that category.  

1 hour ago, Quof said:

in random order 

If you're still seeing things out of order, you should report it on the Bug thread. They corrected some alphabetizing issues yesterday; maybe they missed some?

• Like 1

I know I'll get used to it like I do every time they change this site around, but having forums for the old documentaries, comedy specials, etc. that used to just be threads within the One-Offs forum is driving me nuts -- I only got up to H so far and my home page is already so damn big from adding them.  I think I'm going to have to decide which ones I truly care to know when there's new commentary posted, and those where it's not worth the home page clutter to know that someone found the show after all this time and posted about it.

• Like 1
  • Fire 2
1 hour ago, chitowngirl said:

Is anyone else seeing double avatars over there <?

I wasn't, but now I am, and the site is all screwy horizontally (the big waste of space on the right that is normally gone when I set my browser zoom to 170% now won't go away).  This happened briefly several weeks ago, so hopefully it will go away soon.

• Useful 2
10 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I wasn't, but now I am, and the site is all screwy horizontally (the big waste of space on the right that is normally gone when I set my browser zoom to 170% now won't go away).  This happened briefly several weeks ago, so hopefully it will go away soon.

And it's already back to normal for me (we'll see how long that lasts; this place is glitchy lately).

• Like 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

I know I'll get used to it like I do every time they change this site around, but having forums for the old documentaries, comedy specials, etc. that used to just be threads within the One-Offs forum is driving me nuts -- I only got up to H so far and my home page is already so damn big from adding them.  I think I'm going to have to decide which ones I truly care to know when there's new commentary posted, and those where it's not worth the home page clutter to know that someone found the show after all this time and posted about it.

I'm just incredibly confused now.  I don't have time to start figuring this out today.  I posted in the bugs thread.  I noticed some of the changes yesterday in regard to the award shows.  But someone mentioned they couldn't find TV movies . . .  haven't looked, but that was one of my follows on the custom home page. 

1 minute ago, EtheltoTillie said:

But someone mentioned they couldn't find TV movies . . .  haven't looked, but that was one of my follows on the custom home page. 

It's here, but it's a category now, so you can't add it to your home page anymore, you can only add forums within it (each TV movie that had a thread within the old TV Movies forum now has its own forum). 

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

I am! :(. The far left one shows how long ago the post was made and the next one is what we have normally seen with the post. Sheesh.  I'm afraid to look at my shows list after reading this thread. This thread was open when I left so I haven't gone to my list yet.....Arg, I wish they would just stop with the upgrades for a while.

(edited)
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

My double avatars have disappeared -- I only see one now.

So have mine...Magic I guess....Or maybe we need to get our eyes examined for double vision!  LOL!

Edited by Gramto6
  • Wink 4
  • LOL 2
(edited)
19 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

Yes. But to be fair, I'm drunk.

Just kidding, I'm not.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • LOL 11
41 minutes ago, aquarian1 said:

I haven't had most those issues, but I haven't enjoyed this "upgrade" either.  

cat bed GIF

1 hour ago, TattleTeeny said:

OH MY GOD, seriously with these certified mail forms! Like, thanks for providing SO MUCH SPACE to write addresses. Reformat this shit already.

Sheesh, so many forms are like this.  Ugh.

• Like 3
  • Fire 1
(edited)

Not so much a “pet peeve” but a peeve and I want to talk about it.

For several years, I’ve been shopping at a grocery near my kids schools, in the mornings, after drop off.  At this time there is only one full serve line available and it has always been manned by the same lady.  In the past, we have always been cordial and made pleasant small talk.  

In the early autumn of this school year, there was a difficult customer in front of me who wouldn’t let some issue go.  It was an issue that the cashier couldn’t solve and she repeatedly stated this fact,  but was nice about it to the customer, although as the exchange progressed, I could tell she was getting edgy.

Then it was my turn.  I had bought some gift cards in addition to groceries.  In the past she would always scan the gift cards and then immediately hand them to me, so I put out my hand for them with this expectation.  That day, she YELLED at me that she absolutely couldn’t hand over the cards until I paid for them.  I felt her yelling was uncalled for, but figured her adrenaline was pumping due to the previous customer.  So, I let it go and remained positive and pleasant to her.

i figured it was “just a bad day” and that things would return to normal in the future.  This has not been the case.  She has been incredibly rude to me ever since.  At first I thought maybe it was embarrassment over her previous behavior, but now it’s been too long.  

Anyway, today I bought wine with other groceries.  The customer in front of me took a long time.  He let her ring him up, and do all the bagging by herself, and they also conversed pleasantly at length.

so, I got my store card, credit card, and driver’s license ready.  And once my store card was scanned, I ran my credit card through the reader, and started bagging my own groceries to be helpful and efficient as a line had formed behind me while she was chatting with previous customer.  This is all stuff I’ve done before and I’ve seen other customers do, so she shouldn’t have had any issues with it.  

While I’m bagging at the end, she tells me in a nasty tone of voice that she needs to see my ID for the wine.  That is when I started to snap.   It was still in my hand so I held it out to her but she wouldn’t reach out to take it from me, so I move to the side, and hand it to her there (gently and nicely).  I moved back to bagging as I still had an item in my hand.  Instead of handing me my ID back at the end where I am and where she’s putting the groceries, she places it on the side where I could very easily forget it and walk off without it.  That’s when I completely snap.  So, I stop what I am doing, put down what is in my hand and SNATCH my ID off the side in a way that connotes displeasure.  

GAH!

After that, she was conciliatory, asking me how I wanted the rest of my things bagged, but she did disagree with me not wanting bags for jugs of liquids, stating they’d be easier to carry in a bags (not if they fall through the flimsy film!).  

Edited by Scatterbrained
  • Like 7
  • Mind Blown 2
15 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

People farting in enclosed spaces. We can hear and smell you!

I would be careful about fart shaming people.

They might have a medical condition or maybe come from a culture that has food rich with oligosaccharides. They could also be old and not have the control a younger person might have. 

• Like 8
  • Useful 3
1 hour ago, Scatterbrained said:

Not so much a “pet peeve” but a peeve and I want to talk about it.

For several years, I’ve been shopping at a grocery near my kids schools, in the mornings, after drop off.  At this time there is only one full serve line available and it has always been manned by the same lady.  In the past, we have always been cordial and made pleasant small talk.  

In the early autumn of this school year, there was a difficult customer in front of me who wouldn’t let some issue go.  It was an issue that the cashier couldn’t solve and she repeatedly stated this fact,  but was nice about it to the customer, although as the exchange progressed, I could tell she was getting edgy.

Then it was my turn.  I had bought some gift cards in addition to groceries.  In the past she would always scan the gift cards and then immediately hand them to me, so I put out my hand for them with this expectation.  That day, she YELLED at me that she absolutely couldn’t hand over the cards until I paid for them.  I felt her yelling was uncalled for, but figured her adrenaline was pumping due to the previous customer.  So, I let it go and remained positive and pleasant to her.

i figured it was “just a bad day” and that things would return to normal in the future.  This has not been the case.  She has been incredibly rude to me ever since.  At first I thought maybe it was embarrassment over her previous behavior, but now it’s been too long.  

Anyway, today I bought wine with other groceries.  The customer in front of me took a long time.  He let her ring him up, and do all the bagging by herself, and they also conversed pleasantly at length.

so, I got my store card, credit card, and driver’s license ready.  And once my store card was scanned, I ran my credit card through the reader, and started bagging my own groceries to be helpful and efficient as a line had formed behind me while she was chatting with previous customer.  This is all stuff I’ve done before and I’ve seen other customers do, so she shouldn’t have had any issues with it.  

While I’m bagging at the end, she tells me in a nasty tone of voice that she needs to see my ID for the wine.  That is when I started to snap.   It was still in my hand so I held it out to her but she wouldn’t reach out to take it from me, so I move to the side, and hand it to her there (gently and nicely).  I moved back to bagging as I still had an item in my hand.  Instead of handing me my ID back at the end where I am and where she’s putting the groceries, she places it on the side where I could very easily forget it and walk off without it.  That’s when I completely snap.  So, I stop what I am doing, put down what is in my hand and SNATCH my ID off the side in a way that connotes displeasure.  

GAH!

After that, she was conciliatory, asking me how I wanted the rest of my things bagged, but she did disagree with me not wanting bags for jugs of liquids, stating they’d be easier to carry in a bags (not if they fall through the flimsy film!).  

Complain to management. This is the time to go all "Karen."

• Like 6

Maybe the nasty cashier is confusing you with a rude customer and not realizing her mistake? Either way, this has gone on too long and is totally unprofessional on her part. I would say something to the store manager. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 2
16 hours ago, BlueSkies said:

I know right?  People that just act like its nothing 

My first flower shop was in a high rise office building. I used to take the freight elevator to my storage room in the lower parking level. If the maintenance guys were on it to, they would fart just as they got off and leave me to ride the stinkmobile all the way to the garage. They thought it was the height of hilarity.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 2
  • Fire 1
  • LOL 2
3 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

I would be careful about fart shaming people.

They might have a medical condition or maybe come from a culture that has food rich with oligosaccharides. They could also be old and not have the control a younger person might have. 

And you can only hold one in for so long no matter your age.  I'm not going to hold a fart in for 30 minutes or more just because I'm in a subway car or an airplane, though if I was sitting in the aisle seat I would make an attempt to use the lavatory at the back of the plane, middle or window is a different story.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

My first flower shop was in a high rise office building. I used to take the freight elevator to my storage room in the lower parking level. If the maintenance guys were on it to, they would fart just as they got off and leave me to ride the stinkmobile all the way to the garage. They thought it was the height of hilarity.

Nasty jerks. 

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 3
(edited)

In relation to the cashier story, last week I was speaking to a social worker at a local hospital about my client.  The social worker was being very difficult and was unwilling to answer my questions, having to do with the patient's discharge plan.  She had already talked to the patient's son, and he's a handful, so I think she had had enough.  However, when she shouted and then hung up on me, I was peeved. 

I turned professional Karen.  I called the risk management unit at the hospital  The risk management unit is where they deal with things that could turn into a lawsuit and try to defuse whatever the problem is.  I told my story reasonably, provided my HIPAA release, and asked that they calm this woman down and ask her to talk reasonably and professionally to me.

Well, they must have read her the riot act, because the next day she called me all apologetic and was my new best friend.  I thanked her for calling and said we had gotten off on the wrong foot.  Now we are working cooperatively.

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Like 1
  • Applause 10
6 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

They could also be old and not have the control a younger person might have. 

I would say at least 95% of the time I've had someone fart near me in public, it was an elderly person, usually a man. 

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

First World Peeve Alert: I hate when I lose clothing but especially when I lose something that's cool and a pragmatic item!  I'm so mad at myself for having lost my fave scarf that not only wrapped around the neck several times but was warm and thick so I could keep the whole neck and upper chest area toasty warm even in the most freezing temps!  All I know is that I brought it to work, then sometime between the time I changed from street clothes to work clothes then back, it was gone. I'm not even sure about that because the first time I noticed it was missing was when I was about to walk out the building and I didn't feel that usual toasty embrace- and all my efforts to retrace my steps back to my locker and change are to spot it were for naught! Yep, and right when my neck of the woods is having a long spell of subfreezing temps!ARRGHH!!

Yeah, I'm going to try to buy a replacement ASAP [and hope that the stores aren't sold out] but it makes me so mad at myself! PHOOOEY!!!!!

• Hugs 1
  • Sad 11

I have had this issue too, though not necessarily with pragmatic clothing! I get it when I lose a scarf or gloves or even a sock, but how in the hell do I lose T-shirts? One was a Han Solo and another was one that said "Cat Club." Just gone!

• Like 1
  • Sad 5
  • LOL 1