Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

17 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

The brown butter potatoes have a cup of half and half, a cup of sour cream, and 12 Tb butter. Heart attack on a plate. And I am definitely trying them. 

Do you add bacon? I would... (I mean if you are really look to make something that will clog each and every artery...)

• Like 1
  • LOL 4
20 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

The brown butter potatoes have a cup of half and half, a cup of sour cream, and 12 Tb butter. Heart attack on a plate. And I am definitely trying them. 

Holy hell.  I hate potatoes, but my parents love them so I make some potato side dishes for them and sometimes make rather indulgent potato sides as part of their birthday and Mother's/Father's Day dinners.  This would be far beyond anything I've ever served them.  So I think I have to make this recipe for them on the next holiday -- but not, I swear, as an effort to come into my inheritance sooner.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 1
  • LOL 10

And my power just went out.  The electric company's website says the expected restoration time is 5:30 pm.  Incidentally, the outage area includes the public library, so I won't get to go today, either!  No idea why it went out, either -- the sky is clear and there isn't much wind.  But it is cold, and my heat pump requires electricity to keep me warm.  Fingers crossed it won't really take them all damn day to fix the problem!

• Sad 10

There are two types of left turns:  One is when you're stopped at a light and want to turn left from the road you're on.  If you're lucky, there's a left turn signal/arrow.  I don't really mind these turns. 

Then the more diabolical kind is turning left from a driveway or a stop sign at the intersection of a busy two way road when there is hardly a break in the traffic.  Sometimes you have to wait a long time to get a break.

Is the latter type your main peeve @RealHousewife

• Like 5
3 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

There are two types of left turns:  One is when you're stopped at a light and want to turn left from the road you're on.  If you're lucky, there's a left turn signal/arrow.  I don't really mind these turns. 

Then the more diabolical kind is turning left from a driveway or a stop sign at the intersection of a busy two way road when there is hardly a break in the traffic.  Sometimes you have to wait a long time to get a break.

Is the latter type your main peeve @RealHousewife

Yes! If I can just go, no problem. :)

• Like 2
1 hour ago, RealHousewife said:

Left turns. Had to take several of them the other day and have to take them when I leave the office to grab lunch.

One of my favourite memories of driving with my late sister was the way we would go around and around Robin Hood's barn in her efforts to avoid making left turns.  Makes me smile now, at the time it could be a little maddening!

• Like 4
  • Love 3
12 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

This year we've seen the start of blinking left turn yellow lights at too many intersections.  IMO they're dangerous with the type of drivers we have today (the ones that believe it's my road and get outta my way).

For us it's roundabouts.  Used to be relatively uncommon and now they seem to be part of any new road's game plan.  And I agree with you this is not the way to go with the kind of people who seem to be on the road now.  "Rules are for suckers" kind of drivers.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
2 hours ago, Laura Holt said:

For us it's roundabouts.  Used to be relatively uncommon and now they seem to be part of any new road's game plan. 

Because they're well worth it in the end.  But, boy howdy, is there a learning curve in the beginning in areas where they are new!

• Like 1
10 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

This year we've seen the start of blinking left turn yellow lights at too many intersections.  IMO they're dangerous with the type of drivers we have today (the ones that believe it's my road and get outta my way).

They recently did that near me. The flow of traffic is better, but I see many accidents taking place in the near future.

• Like 1

A single lane roundabout is easy to navigate, a double lane on OTOH is a nightmare.  I used to have to navigate one of those when I lived in Ohio, and it was decidedly not fun.  The other drivers would never let you over, and I had to do a Clark Griswold and travel around the circle more than once whilst traversing it.  I will never understand drivers who consider a turn signal an insult and refuse to let someone into a lane in situations like this.  

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
On 11/12/2023 at 6:05 AM, chitowngirl said:

In my daily email from the NY Times, there is a link to brown butter potatoes. What is happening?? 😆

You dreamt about it last night after reading these posts is what is happening - the thought police have nabbed you!  

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
On 11/10/2023 at 10:07 PM, Laura Holt said:

I know Pioneer Woman gets a lot of flak for some of her recipes but I have to say at least when I look at her stuff it's mostly ingredients I will actually have in the house!  That said a few years ago when we moved I went through my cookbooks and got rid of most of them when I realized I looked through them but I never actually used them.

Good old Betty Crocker is now my go to for basic recipes (and for reminders of how long to cook a roast and at what temp).    Mostly though my recipes are in a file folder for the ones I use again and again.  If I want to be creative I'll go online but they can be so tricky.  My one rule of thumb for online is if the writer says "family favourite, my kids stand up and cheer" it's probably not very good 😄!

I will give PW a thumbs up for being simple in her cooking, my main struggle is with the calorie content for a lot of what she makes, delicious, yes, healthy, no. (I also follow a woman on TikTok who makes delicious looking stuff but its very heavy in cheeses, sour cream and butter. Something I'd make once in a while but not too often.)

Betty Crocker is a good one! My eldest daughter gave me The Weeknight Dinner Cookbook: Simple Family-Friendly Recipes for Everyday Home Cooking  by Mary Younkin for Christmas last year, it's fabulous. It uses staple pantry items, and the best is she uses dried spices. 

On 11/11/2023 at 9:49 AM, TattleTeeny said:

Have you tried Truth & Justice With Bob Ruff? It's my absolute favorite. He is a true deep-diver into the cases he covers, which are mainly focused on possible wrongful convictions (and he and his audience have been instrumental in helping get people freed). If you like the meticulous details of an investigation, you may like this podcast (but if you want a new case delivered in an hour once a week, probably not). 

No but I just found it and will start listening to it! I tried listening to the podcasts you mentioned and gave up quickly as well. A friend of mine recommend one that I can't think of right now, two young women discussing crimes, omg, it was horrible. Their voices were grating and they giggled throughout. I got through 3/4 of an episode and gave up. 

On 11/11/2023 at 7:34 PM, TattleTeeny said:

Ooooooh, speaking of pet peeves, man (extremely protracted frustrating peeves). Surely someone can do this before I shuffle off this mortal coil?! Come on, please, finally! Damn it.

That said, that case was one of the ones I used to give idiot My Favorite Murder a chance.

I hope this is solved in my lifetime as well. 

• Like 2
On 11/12/2023 at 7:34 AM, Browncoat said:

And my power just went out.  The electric company's website says the expected restoration time is 5:30 pm.  Incidentally, the outage area includes the public library, so I won't get to go today, either!  No idea why it went out, either -- the sky is clear and there isn't much wind.  But it is cold, and my heat pump requires electricity to keep me warm.  Fingers crossed it won't really take them all damn day to fix the problem!

My power went out last weekend, someone hit a power pole or transformer and took out the entire zip code. The power company has it back on 3.5 hours later (which is super fast IMO). I hope yours comes back soon!

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2
42 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

My power went out last weekend, someone hit a power pole or transformer and took out the entire zip code. The power company has it back on 3.5 hours later (which is super fast IMO). I hope yours comes back soon!

I found out today that apparently a transformer blew, and four big areas in town were out, with some overlap (my house was in an overlap area).

A few years ago, they put in three roundabouts on the street where I work.  The day they opened the one I can see from my window was crazy.  We watched most of the day, while people tried to go around it the wrong way, or stopped in the middle, or (as they continue to do) treat it like a four-way stop, and stop whether or not any other cars are in sight.  It drives me nuts when people stop at an empty roundabout!  I mean, sure, if there's a car right there (or a pedestrian), by all means, stop!  But if all roads are devoid of cars, keep going!

Corollary peeve -- people who don't stop their cars for pedestrians in the crosswalks.

• Like 3
  • Fire 1
  • LOL 1

How do people feed their families??? 

I wonder this too. I am not going to lie, I have been pretty lucky over the last bunch of years, even with a couple of layoffs and a partner with very sporadic income, to have a reasonably workable "cushion." But I am by no means rolling in dough or unbothered by thoughts of "what will happen when I am older?" So, considering that, I do wonder how people who live where I live, but who make less than I do and have entire multiperson families to take care of, do it.

• Like 6
10 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

I wonder this too. I am not going to lie, I have been pretty lucky over the last bunch of years, even with a couple of layoffs and a partner with very sporadic income, to have a reasonably workable "cushion." But I am by no means rolling in dough or unbothered by thoughts of "what will happen when I am older?" So, considering that, I do wonder how people who live where I live, but who make less than I do and have entire multiperson families to take care of, do it.

They either are extremely lucky and are gifted money from family and friends, are in debt up to their eyeballs, or know how to play the system.  

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

They either are extremely lucky and are gifted money from family and friends, are in debt up to their eyeballs, or know how to play the system.  

Any family money I was ever going to get is being drained by my dad's care. $11,500.00 a month.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 4
  • Hugs 3
  • Sad 1
3 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Isn’t it better though to see that he’s comfortable and cared for in his last years? 

Absolutely. It's just that if he were aware of what's happened to him, he would be mortified. He prided himself so much on leaving something substantial for his grandson. The way he lives, I hate to say it but I wish he had gone when my mom did. These last years have broken my heart. He can't speak or walk and he doesn't recognize anybody. It's no way for the smartest, the most generous, kindest, most talented man I've ever known to go out.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 18
  • Sad 3
15 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Absolutely. It's just that if he were aware of what's happened to him, he would be mortified. He prided himself so much on leaving something substantial for his grandson. The way he lives, I hate to say it but I wish he had gone when my mom did. These last years have broken my heart. He can't speak or walk and he doesn't recognize anybody. It's no way for the smartest, the most generous, kindest, most talented man I've ever known to go out.

I lost my Mother to Alzheimer’s and it was terribly sad to watch. My heart goes out to you and your family. The medical system seems to drain us of whatever we have during our last years. It shouldn’t be a for profit business. 

Edited by Mindthinkr
You not your.
  • Like 8
  • Hugs 2
  • Fire 1
  • Thanks 1
On 11/12/2023 at 7:29 PM, Laura Holt said:

For us it's roundabouts.  Used to be relatively uncommon and now they seem to be part of any new road's game plan.  And I agree with you this is not the way to go with the kind of people who seem to be on the road now.  "Rules are for suckers" kind of drivers.

They are going to be building 2 roundabouts one just North of me and the other just South. Fortunately the town just North of me installed one about 5 years ago so at least most people in this small area already know how to navigate them.

• Like 2

This is gonna make me sound like such a capital-O Old, but why do so many flea market vendors not have "normal" shopping websites or even just Etsy pages anymore? It's all Instagram or "contact us." I don't want to! If I took a card, it was because I dug your stuff, but (a) didn't have cash/Venmo, (b) couldn't decide what I wanted to buy and wanted to see everything, or (c) didn't want to carry something around for the rest of my fun flea market day!

ETA: OOH, I should clarify that I mean people who handmake stuff -- jewelry, etc. I didn't mean, like, the guy who has a boatload of old Pyrex or midcentury steppy-stools or old books!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 5
  • Useful 1
3 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

This is gonna make me sound like such a capital-O Old, but why do so many flea market vendors not have "normal" shopping websites or even just Etsy pages anymore? It's all Instagram or "contact us." I don't want to! If I took a card, it was because I dug your stuff, but (a) didn't have cash/Venmo, (b) couldn't decide what I wanted to buy and wanted to see everything, or (c) didn't want to carry something around for the rest of my fun flea market day!

ETA: OOH, I should clarify that I mean people who handmake stuff -- jewelry, etc. I didn't mean, like, the guy who has a boatload of old Pyrex or midcentury steppy-stools or old books!

I'm willing to cut some slack when it's a side hustle.  Operating a website for your hobby is expensive and time consuming.  Etsy did help back when it first launched, but that site changed a couple of years ago and it is not what it used to be.  If your jewelry, art, etc. is not your full-time job, then Etsy is not for you anymore.  The site prioritizes sponsored posts by drop-shippers and flippers (those who buy wholesale items on AliExpress and attempt to pass them off as handmade).  When it's your side hustle, it's now far easier to do one set of photos and slap them up on Instagram or Facebook, then do messaging to sell.  

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 7
  • Love 1

I haven't tried the brown butter mashed potatoes yet, but I have a recipe I want to try from Cook's Illustrated for Colcannon, which is an Irish dish made with mashed potatoes and usually cabbage.   This version has mashed potatoes with kale.  @Bastet you like kale and hate potatoes.  Cognitive dissonance. 

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Like 1
  • LOL 3
6 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Because stuff gets lost/stolen when shipped. Also it costs $ to list/sell/ship… you are dealing with a flea market seller… You don’t have to buy anything at the flea market… and if you really wanted it you would have bought it on the spot. 

Just my 2 cents.

• Like 4
  • Useful 2

Well, no — not buying something immediately doesn’t mean that I don’t “really want it”; it only means the reasons that I listed in my original post. Haha, I spent all of my 20s and most of my 30s not buying things I really wanted!

And yet another reason is that I am with the person for whom I want to buy something, so I can’t do it right then and there. This is where a discreetly taken picture is very helpful later.

And like I also said, most of them are selling online, just not through certain channels, so they’re still shipping things and taking the risks you mentioned.

I know I don’t “have to buy anything at the flea market” — I’m actually missing the point on that part, as my point was that I wanted to buy something outside of the flea market.

I get all the reasons why they may not and they’re valid. It’s just a peeve I have, which is why I made the post. I don’t begrudge the artisans, I just prefer a more direct way to buy online and a way to see as much of the work as possible. 

And, yes, @Ohiopirate02, Etsy has become so convoluted and complicated over the last couple of years. Ugh.

Different peeve: how in the hell does it take only a millisecond to fast-forward way too far, but seemingly minutes to rewind to get back where I want to be? And why do I do it every single time?! 

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 5
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, TattleTeeny said:

Different peeve: how in the hell does it take only a millisecond to fast-forward way too far, but seemingly minutes to rewind to get back where I want to be? And why do I do it every single time?! 

I do that, too.  And with Paramount+, it seems like if you so much as breathe on the FF button, it zips ahead at 10x speed.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

Note to self:  Look at ALL the pages in that stack of papers BEFORE you put them in the shred bin.  I'm missing one document that I kind of need, and I suspect that's where it went.  (I can re-create it, but it's annoying to have to do so.)

• Like 4
  • Hugs 2
  • Sad 4
  • Useful 1

Talking about money and how things are so expensive now.   People with Grandchildren.  How much money is expected for gifts for birthdays, holidays, etc.  I have six grandchildren.  Between birthdays, holidays, graduations, Comunions, and whatever, what’s a decent amount for a gift of money?  Every month it’s something, and we are not rich living where we live.  Everything is sky high here .. gas, food, meds, etc.

• Hugs 6
On 11/17/2023 at 12:21 PM, Browncoat said:

Note to self:  Look at ALL the pages in that stack of papers BEFORE you put them in the shred bin.  I'm missing one document that I kind of need, and I suspect that's where it went.  (I can re-create it, but it's annoying to have to do so.)

Here's another tip: open up just delivered magazines & catalogs and shake them. We keep finding envelopes containing bills, or occasionally, even checks inside. I'm now wondering if new sorting machines at the postal facilities are causing this. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 6
11 hours ago, kristen111 said:

Talking about money and how things are so expensive now.   People with Grandchildren.  How much money is expected for gifts for birthdays, holidays, etc.  I have six grandchildren.  Between birthdays, holidays, graduations, Comunions, and whatever, what’s a decent amount for a gift of money?  Every month it’s something, and we are not rich living where we live.  Everything is sky high here .. gas, food, meds, etc.

I feel your pain! I too have 6 grandchildren and I have finally had to pare it down to Birthday's, Christmas and Graduations. I am a widow so don't have any extra income added to the budget from a spouse.  It is hard, I'd like to be able to shower them for every occasion, but it just isn't possible. I have to think of my expenses and needs too.

I do what I can with love, that is all I can do.

Edited by Gramto6
typo
  • Like 2
  • Hugs 3
  • Love 6
12 hours ago, kristen111 said:

Whatever you can spare and if it’s $5 so be it. It’s a gift…

• Like 4
16 hours ago, kristen111 said:

As a person who doesn't have kids or grandkids but had grandparents, the best memories I have were from the time I got to spend with them.

Just gift them an afternoon with grandma. Make a plan on what to do, maybe teach them to cook or bake something. My grandma taught me to make whipped cream once. My other grandma got me to watch her cat and taught me how to get them to trust you. My grandpa taught me how to milk a cow by hand. They were farmers.

It doesn't break the bank and as a former grandchild, I wouldn't miss those memories for anything. I cannot remember the gifts. At all.

• Like 5
  • Love 11
50 minutes ago, supposebly said:

As a person who doesn't have kids or grandkids but had grandparents, the best memories I have were from the time I got to spend with them.

Just gift them an afternoon with grandma. Make a plan on what to do, maybe teach them to cook or bake something. My grandma taught me to make whipped cream once. My other grandma got me to watch her cat and taught me how to get them to trust you. My grandpa taught me how to milk a cow by hand. They were farmers.

It doesn't break the bank and as a former grandchild, I wouldn't miss those memories for anything. I cannot remember the gifts. At all.

I used to love it when my grandma would take me to lunch. The Rhododenron Room in Fredrick and Nelson. Real silver, linen tablecloths and the best Crab Louis in the world.

• Like 3
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, supposebly said:

That is so true, plus you were lucky.  I never saw my Grandparents unfortunately.  I do make sure I see all mine as they live close.  The best things they love to hear are stories about when their parents were growing up.  Funny things that Grandmothers remember.  They crack up.  Thanks for your input.

Edited by kristen111
  • Like 1
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

Whatever you can spare and if it’s $5 so be it. It’s a gift…

It’s usually $50 .. more for special occasions.  Just feeling the pinch lately, as things are so expensive and we are retired.  I’m just wondering what other grandparents give.  Curious.

• Like 2
18 hours ago, kristen111 said:

Taking my response to ChitChat, since it’s not exactly a peeve…

Sometimes it feels like this is how I get half my exercise*:  Walk to another room intending to do Task A, get distracted by Task B, return to previous spot, remember "Task A, dammit!", head back.

Unfortunately, when Task A was adding two items to the grocery list, I never got around to the whole remember and return part, so last night I realized I'll have to go back to the store today.  I'm still trying to muster up the motivation to do so.

*Aided by the similar routine: Walk to another room, arrive there and wonder "What did I come in here for?", come up blank, go do something else, remember, return.

• Like 4
  • LOL 6
32 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

Getting a gift card that has limits on what I can get. Got items that I don’t need/want. I rather have bought something I can actually use.

I’ve never seen this with a gift card but I have with coupons.   Macy’s sent me a coupon for $20 off of $100 and I had at least ten items on my wishlist that were all on sale and the coupon wasn’t good for any of them.  

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 4

Yeah, I constantly get e-mails from World Market (Cost Plus?) saying. big savings on whatever. One time I finally went to the store up in town since I was there anyway. And got some food items I like from there. Got to cash register and the teeny tiny fine print on the coupon on my phone said "No food items..." Food is basically all I buy there, so now I just delete the coupon. Bugs me to have that restriction, as I just might buy something else once there for the food. Now I don't even go there any more!

• Like 3
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 1

I got a debit card as a reward for participating i something and it clearly says you can use it like any Visa card but isn't redeemable for cash at an ATM. Well, Amazon wouldn't recognize it and I've had trouble using other temporary debit cards like this in the past. So it really isn't possible to use it like any other Visa card. Wankers.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4
  • Fire 1