Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

On 6/23/2023 at 1:04 PM, annzeepark914 said:

Good grief! 117° in Salem, Oregon. 115° in Portland. Lots of power outages. 😟

Odd.  Where I am in Portland the high was 82.

34 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

This was in the news online a few days ago. So, it never got up to 115° in Portland?

Not this year - unless I somehow slept through it!  Even with global warming, that's far above the norm and I would have remembered if it had been anything close to that.  I went online and checked in with Mr. Google, and I think the record 115 mentioned is probably from the summer of 2021, which I do remember suffering through in my un-airconditioned, un-insulated, top floor apartment.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
16 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Seems like in that case, contractors should express before showing up that they would like all homeowners present for the estimate. 

My husband will ask the person booking the appt if there will be anyone else involved in the decision making, 99% of the time its not a problem, it's the 1% that can be tricky so he tries to nip it in the bud early. 

• Like 4
(edited)

I mentioned this is the commercials forum because I am noticing this on commercials a lot lately. But I am seeing it in person as well and it's become a peeve of mine:  people who are rude for no good reason.   From cutting in front of someone in a line-up to asking personal questions you have no right to ask to (and this happened to me yesterday) a total stranger commenting that the magazine I had just selected was written by idiots for idiots.  Uh, thanks....

Edited by Laura Holt
  • Like 1
  • Mind Blown 8
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 1
47 minutes ago, Laura Holt said:

I mentioned this is the commercials forum because I am noticing this on commercials a lot lately. But I am seeing it in person as well and it's become a peeve of mine:  people who are rude for no good reason.   From cutting in front of someone in a line-up to asking personal questions you have no right to ask to (and this happened to me yesterday) a total stranger commenting that the magazine I had just selected was written by idiots for idiots.  Uh, thanks....

That's maddening! WTF is wrong with people? Why can't they leave other people alone?

• Like 6
  • Mind Blown 1
1 hour ago, Laura Holt said:

a total stranger commenting that the magazine I had just selected was written by idiots for idiots.

I would've handed it right to them and said, "Oh, it was meant for you, then."

I don't seem to attract people like this, luckily. Or maybe I just need to get out more.

• Like 2
  • LOL 10
18 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

I would've handed it right to them and said, "Oh, it was meant for you, then."

I don't seem to attract people like this, luckily. Or maybe I just need to get out more.

The perfect response!  The kind I think of at midnight and long after I could use it!

13 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

I love that movie so much.

One of my favorites too!

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Gosh no worries @TattleTeeny, I just wanted to clarify that he does ask. 

Story time:  The worst situation that happened was when he met with the female homeowner to figure out the problem, it ended up being really bad and the estimate (with detailed explanation on paper) was close to $1,000 for the repair. She didn't blink an eye and agreed to the cost and booked a date for him to come back and do the work. That night he got the screaming mad husband calling him and accusing him of taking advantage of his wife's "stupidity", his words. He cursed my husband out, called him a scammer and a shyster and said he was going to report him to the BBB. My husband hung up the phone and canceled the repair date. Two weeks later he gets a call from the husband, apologizing, and asking to rebook the date as he'd gotten estimates from 2 other repair places and both were almost double the cost with added work (that wasn't necessary). When my husband arrived on the repair date, the man brought him coffee, and offered lunch, couldn't have been nicer and more humbled. 

• Mind Blown 3
  • Applause 5
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, KittyMom4 said:

Gosh no worries @TattleTeeny, I just wanted to clarify that he does ask. 

Story time:  The worst situation that happened was when he met with the female homeowner to figure out the problem, it ended up being really bad and the estimate (with detailed explanation on paper) was close to $1,000 for the repair. She didn't blink an eye and agreed to the cost and booked a date for him to come back and do the work. That night he got the screaming mad husband calling him and accusing him of taking advantage of his wife's "stupidity", his words. He cursed my husband out, called him a scammer and a shyster and said he was going to report him to the BBB. My husband hung up the phone and canceled the repair date. Two weeks later he gets a call from the husband, apologizing, and asking to rebook the date as he'd gotten estimates from 2 other repair places and both were almost double the cost with added work (that wasn't necessary). When my husband arrived on the repair date, the man brought him coffee, and offered lunch, couldn't have been nicer and more humbled. 

I feel this. My husband had an auto repair business for thirty years and that kind of thing used to happen to him too. Kudos to your DH for his professionalism.

• Like 6
  • Hugs 2

Kind of a lighthearted one but photographers (and by photographers I mean amateurs with cell phones and that annoying relative at the family gathering) who want to take pictures while you’re trying to eat. I was at an event at my church last night and here comes Janice with her iPhone while people are eating being all “OK smile!” Come on Janice, can I at least finish this handful of pretzels?! Why do people think others eating makes for good pictures? Leave me alone until after dinner for the love of God! 

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1

A swarm of cobra chickens has staked a claim on some outside territory near my new place. I almost got into a car accident to avoid hitting one that was playing in the road.

If you don't know what a cobra chicken is...

• Mind Blown 2
  • LOL 2

I called the water utility company today to pay a bill by phone. Normally, if one chooses to speak to a representative, there's a service fee involved, so I always use the automated choice. With this particular utility, I'd always paid by check, so I went through the usual steps of giving my routing number and checking account number. I was then told the balance amount, to which they had added a $1.75 service fee. What the heck? Is this something new? For using the automated choice?  So, I thought, 'screw that', and logged online to pay the bill. Well, again, after entering all my info, they still tagged on the $1.75 service fee. Like hell, will I pay that extra amount. I think a U.S. postal stamp is up to 60 cents, but it's still not costing me a buck seventy-five to use snail mail.

I've paid the gas bill by phone, the electric bill by phone, my Macy's charge by phone, all using the automated choice, and none have imposed a service fee. I'm pretty annoyed right now. 

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 3
  • Sad 2

If you have the ability to pay bills online, why are you paying by phone?  I can't imagine keying in all those digits for the account number, etc.   

• Like 4
14 minutes ago, Quof said:

If you have the ability to pay bills online, why are you paying by phone?  I can't imagine keying in all those digits for the account number, etc.   

I dislike paying bills online b/c most department stores, or utility companies require you to set up an account to pay online. I really, really hate setting up online accounts for everything, as it requires me to think up passwords and keep a record of them. When you pay by phone, they recognize your phone number, and therefore your account number. After the first phone call, when one has already keyed in the routing and checking account numbers, the automated voice will just ask during subsequent phone calls if I want to use the checking account ending in numbers 1234 to pay my bill. It's super easy. 

• Like 3

But why not just pay everything through your online banking:   1. pay phone bill - presto! 2. pay water bill - presto! I don't have to log into an account for any service provider, just my bank.

• Like 7
1 hour ago, ECM1231 said:

I dislike paying bills online b/c most department stores, or utility companies require you to set up an account to pay online. I really, really hate setting up online accounts for everything, as it requires me to think up passwords and keep a record of them. When you pay by phone, they recognize your phone number, and therefore your account number. After the first phone call, when one has already keyed in the routing and checking account numbers, the automated voice will just ask during subsequent phone calls if I want to use the checking account ending in numbers 1234 to pay my bill. It's super easy. 

28 minutes ago, Quof said:

But why not just pay everything through your online banking:   1. pay phone bill - presto! 2. pay water bill - presto! I don't have to log into an account for any service provider, just my bank.

Taking to chit-chat...

Paywalls. Fucking pay wells.

Not everything should have a damn subscription to read new stories and whatnot on the internet—especially if it’s really important. Deaf ears the point of hav8bf a free and fair internet, don’t you think?

Why yes, I am pissed off with what’s going on with Twitter, why do you ask?!

• Like 8
2 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Paywalls. Fucking pay wells.

Not everything should have a damn subscription to read new stories and whatnot on the internet—especially if it’s really important. Deaf ears the point of hav8bf a free and fair internet, don’t you think?

Why yes, I am pissed off with what’s going on with Twitter, why do you ask?!

Yessss

• Like 3
On 7/1/2023 at 5:14 PM, ECM1231 said:

Good idea, paying by phone.  Lots of my bills are automatically take n out of our checking acct instead of gas and electric.  I mail early, but somehow they don’t get it until late, then call up saying it was late.  They cut their staff, then say I was late, Morons.    

• Mind Blown 1
  • Fire 1

Ever since Macy's charged me a late fee (even though I'd mailed my payment in time) I take my statement & check to the store & pay in person. Fortunately I don't have to do this often, and the store is close by.  Everything else I charge on Mastercard & have that statement drawn on my bank.  

(edited)
2 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Ever since Macy's charged me a late fee (even though I'd mailed my payment in time) I take my statement & check to the store & pay in person. Fortunately I don't have to do this often, and the store is close by.  Everything else I charge on Mastercard & have that statement drawn on my bank.  

Eh, never mind.  Repeating myself.  Happy 4th Everyone.  Fireworks here for 3 days so far.  🤷‍♂️🍉🍣

Edited by kristen111
  • Like 5
(edited)
2 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I've had nothing but trouble since I opened a Macy's card a couple of months ago and I hadn't intended to use it again.  However, tonight I scored what was originally a $35 Denby bowl for $1 by dint of a perfect storm of a sale, a coupon, and a card-holder discount.  The sales person was flabbergasted (and even double checked!), then congratulated me on my shopping savvy.

image.png.83189c0e9625daced35df467045ba8c7.png

Edited by Leeds
  • Like 8
  • Applause 5

Great buy @Leeds 👏🏻👏🏻

I have a peeve. I was away and drove home on a two lane 70 mph speed limit highway (I-95) for a few hours. Why do people drive side by side and block traffic from passing while they are driving at 68mph?  People tried using their lights, honking, hugging their bumper (trying to push them) to no avail. They’d just go slower. I doubt they even knew each other as their license plates were from different states. Was I ever happy when I got to my exit. 

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

Great buy @Leeds 👏🏻👏🏻

I have a peeve. I was away and drove home on a two lane 70 mph speed limit highway (I-95) for a few hours. Why do people drive side by side and block traffic from passing while they are driving at 68mph?  People tried using their lights, honking, hugging their bumper (trying to push them) to no avail. They’d just go slower. I doubt they even knew each other as their license plates were from different states. Was I ever happy when I got to my exit. 

I will say, it IS somewhat satisfying when there is a car weaving in and out of traffic to be blocked by cars in both lanes…as long as they are both going a smidge above the speed limit!

My peeve? When the roll of toilet paper is running low, I will sometimes get the new one out and put it nearby since the area it is stored is not near the toilet. SOMEONE in the house will start using the new roll instead of using the existing roll, all to avoid changing it.

• Like 5
  • Fire 1
  • LOL 4
17 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

I will say, it IS somewhat satisfying when there is a car weaving in and out of traffic to be blocked by cars in both lanes…as long as they are both going a smidge above the speed limit!

My peeve? When the roll of toilet paper is running low, I will sometimes get the new one out and put it nearby since the area it is stored is not near the toilet. SOMEONE in the house will start using the new roll instead of using the existing roll, all to avoid changing it.

At least the bathroom HAS TP rolls. What's worse is going to a restaurant or other establishment and they have NONE! Yep, I learned the hard way to carry Kleenex around- just in case.

• Like 2
  • Wink 2
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, chitowngirl said:

I will remember this episode always. I roared then, and still do. 

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • LOL 9

You know this kind of person:

You'll say the sky is blue today.  And they'll have to dispute it by saying "We'll not really, or its partially blue, or where I was it just wasn't the case"

Just annoying shit like that.  And be in your face about it.  I'm at the point of my life I just say fuck that when trying to interact with this type of individual 

• Like 7
3 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

SOMEONE in the house will start using the new roll instead of using the existing roll, all to avoid changing it.

It's crazy how changing toilet paper rolls is despised by so many (including myself). I realized I hated the spring roll holder thing so when I had a choice, I purchased one that pivots. I can't use the style that is open because my house lions figured out how to bat at it until it came off and became a toy.

image.png.4ab64405af2fa2752aace49011fb3632.png

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
5 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

It's crazy how changing toilet paper rolls is despised by so many (including myself). I realized I hated the spring roll holder thing so when I had a choice, I purchased one that pivots. I can't use the style that is open because my house lions figured out how to bat at it until it came off and became a toy.

image.png.4ab64405af2fa2752aace49011fb3632.png

My toilet paper peeve? The eternal debate over whether it should be over or under. My thought? I DON'T FUCKING CARE, I JUST WANT THERE TO BE TOILET PAPER, WHY IS ANYONE HAVING THIS DISCUSSION?!?!?!

Sorry, this has bugged me for way too long.

11 minutes ago, BlueSkies said:

You'll say the sky is blue today.  And they'll have to dispute it by saying "We'll not really, or its partially blue, or where I was it just wasn't the case"

Just annoying shit like that.  And be in your face about it.  I'm at the point of my life I just say fuck that when trying to interact with this type of individual 

I'm with ya. Then there's the person who will drag politics into every discussion, until even the most trivial subjects provoke a Capra-esque filibuster that will suck the energy and fun out of absolutely everything. 

• Like 7

I have the spring type roll.  I had a dog that used to pull the tissue off the roll, you know where they grab an end and run like the wind, leaving a trail of paper, so I had to mount the roll higher on the wall.  Our new dog doesn't do that, so we could return to the lower mount.

• LOL 4
55 minutes ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

My toilet paper peeve? The eternal debate over whether it should be over or under. My thought? I DON'T FUCKING CARE, I JUST WANT THERE TO BE TOILET PAPER, WHY IS ANYONE HAVING THIS DISCUSSION?!?!?!

Sorry, this has bugged me for way too long.

I'm with ya. Then there's the person who will drag politics into every discussion, until even the most trivial subjects provoke a Capra-esque filibuster that will suck the energy and fun out of absolutely everything. 

I haven't talked to a friend for about a month now for this reason alone.  He sent me a text where he said I'm not going to turn this stuff political but then went on with some his beliefs. 🙄  Then he called me out for clamming up when he mentioned politics.

To which I just waited a week and texted back "Politics aren't my favorite topic, plus there's times I get in moods with not wanting to communicate with anyone and this is how I roll"

Still haven't reached out or heard back from him 

I remember hearing that old warning many years ago: never discuss religion or politics. Back then, discussing these topics just made people grumpy. Today? 🔥🤬😖  It's not worth losing a friend, or causing estrangement in a family (& I speak from experience).

• Like 7
5 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

I remember hearing that old warning many years ago: never discuss religion or politics. Back then, discussing these topics just made people grumpy. Today? 🔥🤬😖  It's not worth losing a friend, or causing estrangement in a family (& I speak from experience).

Just talk about the weather...wait, even THAT can be polarizing.  Just what CAN we talk about these days?  That's my peeve.  Oh, and smelly bathrooms.  You know, those that use really strong-smelling cleaning agents (some Chinese restaurants around here are REALLY GUILTY for this).

• Like 4
1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

Oh, I can speak to how this ruins relationships. My MIL has driven away four of five siblings, and her children only talk to her out of duty. She's become impossible in her older years, thinking that because she's achieved a certain number of years that she can say whatever she wants, no matter how offensive. She hung up on me for no reason about six months ago, and other than leaving her voicemails to give her appointment dates, I don't miss her talking at me. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 3
6 hours ago, BlueSkies said:

I would entirely avoid interacting with anyone like that! Life is hard enough...

I did encounter one of my pet peeves this last week: People who cite how long they have been doing something as proof that they know everything about how that thing is to be done. Longevity does not equal expertise or excellence.

• Like 10
7 hours ago, BlueSkies said:

Oh my gosh, I think you know my boss.  She does this.  Or she'll say something, I'll agree with her, and then she'll backtrack and try to take back what she said.  She hates it when I agree with her, but is too big on keeping up appearances and trying to look good, so she'll never admit it.  Some days it's funny.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Thanks 1
26 minutes ago, Bookworm 1979 said:

Oh my gosh, I think you know my boss.  She does this.  Or she'll say something, I'll agree with her, and then she'll backtrack and try to take back what she said.  She hates it when I agree with her, but is too big on keeping up appearances and trying to look good, so she'll never admit it.  Some days it's funny.

I hear you.

If it's a neighbor or even family member you can just avoid the person to an extent.  Sucks when it's a boss or co worker.  Yeah somedays I imagine it could be funny but other days you're probably ready to run out on a highway.  I deal with this as well at work 

• Like 2
16 hours ago, Bookworm 1979 said:

Thanks for sharing.

I keep remembering this post when I’m dealing with co workers today!  Like just let it roll off me kind of thing 

• Like 3

I guess this isn't a pet peeve as it's not terribly likely to happen again (I hope) but we're having road work done on our street and the streets near us that is probably going to take at least another 2-3 weeks and the workers have placed the port-a-potty directly across the street from my front window.

So on top of dealing with the noise and general disruption I am treated to the sight of workers trailing in and out of the outdoor john all day - which wouldn't be so bad if they'd shut the damn door after they exit (well at least they seem to shut it while they're in it anyway so there's that!)

• Like 2
  • Sad 4
2 hours ago, Laura Holt said:

So on top of dealing with the noise and general disruption I am treated to the sight of workers trailing in and out of the outdoor john all day - which wouldn't be so bad if they'd shut the damn door after they exit (well at least they seem to shut it while they're in it anyway so there's that!)

Now this^^^^would be my luck! I guess men aren't embarrassed to be seen using the portajohns out on a street.  I've seen these portajohns  perched on medians on 4 lane roads and thought..."what can that be like, sitting on the throne as traffic is whizzing (no pun intended...well, maybe) by, wondering if one of the vehicles might slam into the john".  I have a vivid imagination.

• LOL 10

I dealt with like a really abrasive customer today.  It's like she wanted me to stop and drop everything right there and accommodate her.  The issue was I couldn't get her off the phone until I said Yeah I'll do it for you.

So I wrote that her number and when that number comes up on Caller Id I am not answering it.  

I probably didn't handle that conversation well but it felt like she was coming through the phone and was going to strangle me. Like I actually prefer customers or what not that straight up scream at you versus keep nagging at you 

• Mind Blown 1
  • Hugs 4
49 minutes ago, BlueSkies said:

I dealt with like a really abrasive customer today.  It's like she wanted me to stop and drop everything right there and accommodate her.  The issue was I couldn't get her off the phone until I said Yeah I'll do it for you.

So I wrote that her number and when that number comes up on Caller Id I am not answering it.  

I probably didn't handle that conversation well but it felt like she was coming through the phone and was going to strangle me. Like I actually prefer customers or what not that straight up scream at you versus keep nagging at you 

Sorry you had to deal with that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

Sorry you had to deal with that. 

Me too!

I just don't understand why people have to be so rude and demanding to someone that is there to help them. 

• Like 6
11 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

Me too!

I just don't understand why people have to be so rude and demanding to someone that is there to help them. 

Too many people feel entitled these days. I come from the age when you earned  what you got. That includes respect. 
I especially dislike it when someone is rude to servers or staff. 

• Like 9