Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

43 minutes ago, PRgal said:

I’ve always disliked fake news.  My late maternal grandmother was always spreading that stuff, even back in the early 90s

My FIL was awful for that, his "newspapers" were Allo Police (awful awful Quebec based publication) and the National Enquirer.  He believed everything they wrote was gospel truth.  Dinnertime conversations with him were tons of fun.

• Hugs 1
  • Sad 2
4 minutes ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

My FIL was awful for that, his "newspapers" were Allo Police (awful awful Quebec based publication) and the National Enquirer.  He believed everything they wrote was gospel truth.  Dinnertime conversations with him were tons of fun.

Allo Police, haven't heard about that paper in years. Yes awful.

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

I wonder if it's a generational thing.  My grandmother was born in the 1920s in a different part of the world (Macau).  She didn't read much in English (her English skills were fairly basic, though she was educated at an English medium school.  I guess it's like kids who do French immersion in Canada.  Are many truly bilingual?  Maybe when they finish high school, but if they don't USE it, they forget.  And my grandmother forgot, despite coming to Canada.  If you're Cantonese-speaking, you really don't need to be THAT fluent in English to survive in Toronto, even back in the 80s) and got all her news sources from various Chinese publications.  Some of which are tabloid-y (she loved celebrity gossip rags).  She didn't drive and her life was basically reading those rags, taking care of me while my parents were at work and maybe seeing her friends once in a while (she had some close friends in the Toronto area, but not super-close to where we were living).  

• Like 1
  • Love 1
Just now, peacheslatour said:

Remember this one?

image.png.7009a9df20d69f45910ef5c9a609aa78.png 

Never bought any but read them while in line at the grocery store. In French and English. Lol

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
8 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

Yep. The Snopes link makes it pretty clear that Corning started with something called Nonex in 1913 and removed the lead from that while developing Pyrex that it introduced in 1915. 

Per Snopes, they found no indication from Pyrex's well documented history that they ever changed the composition or manufacture of the product in any way.

The bowls are almost definitely fine. 

But this is that part that's confusing:

A representative for Pyrex confirmed to us that their manufacturing standards had not changed in the preceding six decades, suggesting that if high levels of lead were present in vintage Pyrex, there was no reason why they would not also be present in modern Pyrex. 

I mean, whatever, I have been using them for a long time. But there's not much online about it, other than unsubstantiated/"unofficial" (ie, bloggers doing home lead tests), which could mean it's all good, or...

There's a worldwide vintage kitchenware deep-state coverup that "they" ("Big Vintage"?) don't want you to know about! Wake up!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 1
  • LOL 1
13 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

But this is that part that's confusing:

I mean, whatever, I have been using them for a long time. But there's not much online about it, other than unsubstantiated/"unofficial" (ie, bloggers doing home lead tests), which could mean it's all good, or...

There's a worldwide vintage kitchenware deep-state coverup that "they" ("Big Vintage"?) don't want you to know about! Wake up!

I'm probably going to croak in a few years anyway. C'est la vie.

• Like 1
  • LOL 7
37 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

Hey grammar peevers, look...

I fix grammar for a living and I am not even mad; I laughed.

Screen Shot 2023-03-15 at 5.53.01 PM.png

I've been noticing that too @TattleTeeny.  Maybe it's some "bot" that can't distinguish singular from plural...

In terms of swimming pools (going back to @PRgal's post), my mom did tell me that way back in the day she wouldn't let my older sister swim in a public pool due to fears about polio.  But apparently that was a widespread fear at the time, whether it was proven or not.

Edited by roseha
  • Like 3
5 minutes ago, roseha said:

In terms of swimming pools (going back to @PRgal's post), my mom did tell me that way back in the day she wouldn't let my older sister swim in a public pool due to fears about polio.  But apparently that was a widespread fear at the time, whether it was proven or not.

Polio can spread through contaminated water so it's not at all unlikely that someone could contract it in a public swimming pool in the days before chlorinated pools and vaccines of course!

Edited by Elizabeth Anne
  • Like 1
  • Useful 4
20 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

I confess, I also kind of feel like who cares? 

My personal answer to "who cares if Pyrex has lead" is "not me."  Because...

Lead is very dangerous to children.  I'm not a child and I don't feed any children. 

Lead can be dangerous to fetuses.  I don't have any fetuses in me.

Lead can cause reproductive issues.  I'm not reproducing. 

Lead can cause kidney and cardiovascular problems in adults.  I'm 65 and don't have any kidney or cardiovascular problems so far and can't imagine that exposure to lead at this point would make any difference. 

I apply the same analysis to BPA and phthalates. 

I believe this is one of the advantages of being old. 

• Like 8
  • Applause 3
37 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

A representative for Pyrex confirmed to us that their manufacturing standards had not changed in the preceding six decades, suggesting that if high levels of lead were present in vintage Pyrex, there was no reason why they would not also be present in modern Pyrex. 

The snopes thing is a bit confusing from the way they word things. First, they print all of the things said by the person or people who "tested" the stuff, which doesn't help.

The bold part is reverse engineering their logic, which is a confusing way to make their point. It's basically saying, "We know that they haven't changed shit in many, many years, and since we know for sure the new stuff isn't toxic, therefore, the old stuff also isn't toxic." 

They also do a nice job of calling out the "tester" Lead Safe Mama for being full of it. Although the part where she says, "Please share this one & if you appreciate what I do - pretty please consider making a contribution to help me continue to help families everywhere." is a really good indication of who we are dealing with here. 

• The Pyrex "tested" for lead and pictured in the Facebook posting saying she was "adding it to her toxic collection" (and then lecturing us that no lead is safe) was from some green pattern that was manufactured in 1972.
  • This was AFTER the FDA started testing for leachable lead in 1971. 
    • So again, seems super unlikely that Lead Safe Mama (pretty please donate money to me) is finding lead in her Pyrex bowls manufactured after the date where it would have been thoroughly tested for such a problem.
  • And therefore since the bowls manufactured in 1972 don't have lead in them, and Pyrex hasn't changed the way they make them for a zillion years, bowls like the Butterprint pattern made in 1957-1968 are also lead free.

• Like 10
  • Applause 2
53 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

Hey grammar peevers, look...

I fix grammar for a living and I am not even mad; I laughed.

That was the very first thing I posted about in the feedback thread when the site was updated.  As I was typing, someone else posted the same complaint.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 2
1 hour ago, JTMacc99 said:

The snopes thing is a bit confusing from the way they word things. First, they print all of the things said by the person or people who "tested" the stuff, which doesn't help.

The bold part is reverse engineering their logic, which is a confusing way to make their point. It's basically saying, "We know that they haven't changed shit in many, many years, and since we know for sure the new stuff isn't toxic, therefore, the old stuff also isn't toxic." 

They also do a nice job of calling out the "tester" Lead Safe Mama for being full of it. Although the part where she says, "Please share this one & if you appreciate what I do - pretty please consider making a contribution to help me continue to help families everywhere." is a really good indication of who we are dealing with here. 

• The Pyrex "tested" for lead and pictured in the Facebook posting saying she was "adding it to her toxic collection" (and then lecturing us that no lead is safe) was from some green pattern that was manufactured in 1972.
    • So again, seems super unlikely that Lead Safe Mama (pretty please donate money to me) is finding lead in her Pyrex bowls manufactured after the date where it would have been thoroughly tested for such a problem.
  • And therefore since the bowls manufactured in 1972 don't have lead in them, and Pyrex hasn't changed the way they make them for a zillion years, bowls like the Butterprint pattern made in 1957-1968 are also lead free.

Whooooo, I love it. Also, I just used a midsized Pyrex to make dinner so I guess I still don’t care so much. Feh! And suck it Lead Mama; I’m jaded and also a daredevil. 

And now I am wondering if maybe I bought some of Debbie Downer’s Pyrex that she got rid of…

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

Remember this one?

image.png.7009a9df20d69f45910ef5c9a609aa78.png 

Bat Boy!!!!! My friends used to ride our bikes to Sav-On, stock up on the 2/$1 bags of candy, and buy the National Enquirer. Those were good days.

1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

I'm probably going to croak in a few years anyway. C'est la vie.

I survived the 70s and 80s, drinking from a hose, BPA, questionable make-up, etc...

2 hours ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

I mean Elvis is totally alive, on an island with JFK and Tupac. 

• LOL 5
13 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

I survived the 70s and 80s, drinking from a hose, BPA, questionable make-up, etc...

Lawn darts.....

14 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

And Jimmy Hoffa.

• Like 1
  • LOL 5
15 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

And Kurt Cobain, too.  Maybe Janis Joplin, who, by the way, finally got her Mercedes and colour TV.  Though she might want to trade that TV in for a 60" flatscreen.  

• Applause 1
  • LOL 3

Sorry for my second one today but what is it with people who have no parking etiquette? 

I moved to a new place, a single family home owned by a church (across the street) that used to be a priest’s home. The pastor of the church lives in the house near the other church he runs so they rented the property to me. It comes with a parking lot and the garage has a sign that basically says this is parking for (church). So today I was looking out my window and saw a car I didn’t recognize parked there. I initially thought it was the priest or another member so I ignored it but the car has not moved. I’m sorry but…what gives this person the right to park there? This isn’t the lot of a grocery store or Walmart. This is freaking private property! Get out! I live here alone and I want to feel safe, not have random entitled strangers parking here who may be able to figure out I am living alone. 

I was told that other cars might use the lot during Mass or another church event (fundraisers, funerals, that kind of thing) which is fine since the lot at the house belongs to the church as well. But now strangers want to treat it as a free for all. Nope. Uh uh. I had this happen at my first apartment too…it had a driveway and random assholes decided to park in it; I had to get my landlord to get a private parking sign. I’m going to push the church for better signage for the lot and am calling the non-emergency police number before work tomorrow if the car is still there so I can have it towed or ticketed once we confirm it doesn’t belong to someone from the church. My mom knows what the priest drives as well as one of the other members who may come during the week. Actually, my mom lives by a bar and left a note on a bar patron’s car last week to stop blocking the lines on her driveway. 

I don’t know about you guys but I have never once driven past a private lot or driveway and helped myself to a parking space. It’s so rude. I hate people. 

Edited by Cloud9Shopper
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
On 3/14/2023 at 9:14 PM, TattleTeeny said:

My BF likes to eat his microwave soups and chili in the “pilgrim bowl.” He means that Pyrex Butter-whatever design; I think he used that same one when he was little, which would make sense, as his mom is who gave me a bunch of my favorite and possibly murderous bowls.

Damn it, damn it, damn it, I want to use them always! I love them. 

I have two heavy mugs from Fort Ticonderoga in upstate N.Y.  I have to drink my coffee in them everyday as I just love them.  They are very heavy and hold the heat in.  We love Lake George and the mountains.  I want to go again this June or July.

• Like 2

Late to the party but still wanted to reply ...

On 3/7/2023 at 5:14 PM, peacheslatour said:

We don't have a smart TV and I hate watching things on my little Chromebook so I miss a lot of things that are streaming. It bugs me but my DH is a Luddite.

Does he like old shows and movies? Would he agree to a Roku or Firestick to watch Pluto, Freevee, Tubi and the like? I've been binging retro shows on Pluto lately and just love it.

On 3/13/2023 at 2:05 PM, peacheslatour said:

I get this. It's been a constant struggle. Same with shoes. I take a 5, not a 5 1/2 which is the smallest I can usually find.

My daughter has a larger shoe size than you and often buys boys tennis shoes. I wear a womens 8 so it doesn't work for me, but I have bought the smallest mens size available before. They're still a tad too large but I just wear thick socks with them. 

11 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

Yes, that was all illogical, which is why I decided just to not use the oldest stuff, which definitely predates whatever change in regulations occurred. It may not be a real risk to my health but I might as well avoid any. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Yes, that was all illogical, which is why I decided just to not use the oldest stuff, which definitely predates whatever change in regulations occurred. It may not be a real risk to my health but I might as well avoid any. 

Even if their process never changed (as confirmed by the company)?

• Useful 1

Today's peeve:  being a captive audience while someone else rants about their own particular peeve du jour!  Today it was at the hair salon and the woman cutting my hair was ranting about Covid lockdowns. I'd have to google to confirm when we last had one in our area but I am confident it was at least a year ago and even then it was not nearly as restrictive as the earlier ones had been. 

Anyway I assumed she was upset because, as a hairdresser this had impacted on her being able to work.  But no.  She retired pre-Covid and is just temping this week because staff are off due to March break.  I guess I should not call this her peeve do jour as  I think this lady is going to be mad about this for the rest of her life.  She must be a joy at parties.

Edited by Elizabeth Anne
  • Like 1
  • LOL 5

My takeaway from the yellow parts of snopes:

If there is harmful lead before 1971 as claimed by the scammer then there is harmful lead after 1971 because they haven’t changed their formula. There is no harmful lead after 1971 when FDA started enforcing a standard (or starting a standard, not sure which) and since the formula has not changed since 1940 that means there is no harmful lead before 1971. 
The key word used for me to make that conclusion  is “if” in pyrex’s statement. If one is then the other is. If the latter is then the former is. The latter is shown that it isn’t therefore the former isn’t. 
Also the person who tested the item, in order to push a documentary they were doing, didn’t have enough knowledge to know that the item tested was not from the time frame they claimed. They claimed it was pre FDA and it was post FDA. They did not do a scientifically sound test and  got the item tested wrongly identified.  Snopes even uses “tested “ when saying the documentary person tested the item. The person was hyping her flawed documentary about lead.

FDA statement says you shouldn’t use it if it is damaged but not because of lead being an issue but because of other standards (breaking while using for example). 
Pyrex is fine. The woman is no better than those facebook  “stay out of (insert store/area) someone tried to (insert drama) !!” attention seekers.

eta snopes stated it wasn’t true in the headline and in the rating (not provable)

Edited by stewedsquash
  • Like 4
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, stewedsquash said:

The woman is no better than those facebook  “stay out of (insert store/area) someone tried to (insert drama) !!” attention seekers.

It's the "pretty please send me money so I can continue to help families" that got me all riled up about Lead Safe Mama.

It's fearmongering for profit or personal gain.

And that is more than just a pet peeve of mine. 

• Like 7
  • Fire 1

I'm pretty sure I've peeved about this before, but I'm going to peeve again.  It really irks me when people checking out at the store wait until everything has been scanned, bagged, and it in their cart before they root around for their wallet in their pocket, purse, etc. for their credit/debit card.  Didn't they know they would be asked for this item at some point?  I was behind someone a few minutes ago who even gathered up all of his bags from the carousel-thingy and arranged them in his cart before he got out his wallet.  The, he had to rummage through about 20 cards before he found the one he wanted.  My back hurt, my knees hurt, and my right foot hurt (from dropping a heavy figurine on my toes this morning--nothing broken, only scraped and bruised) and I just wanted to get home.  If I hadn't gotten so many frozen dinners for upcoming lunches I could have gone through the '20 items or less' line.

• Like 5
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, BooksRule said:

I'm pretty sure I've peeved about this before, but I'm going to peeve again.  It really irks me when people checking out at the store wait until everything has been scanned, bagged, and it in their cart before they root around for their wallet in their pocket, purse, etc. for their credit/debit card.  Didn't they know they would be asked for this item at some point?  I was behind someone a few minutes ago who even gathered up all of his bags from the carousel-thingy and arranged them in his cart before he got out his wallet.  The, he had to rummage through about 20 cards before he found the one he wanted.  My back hurt, my knees hurt, and my right foot hurt (from dropping a heavy figurine on my toes this morning--nothing broken, only scraped and bruised) and I just wanted to get home.  If I hadn't gotten so many frozen dinners for upcoming lunches I could have gone through the '20 items or less' line.

LOL.  A couple decades ago you'd have been griping about the person who waits until the total comes up before they pull out their checkbook and start writing their check.  Or maybe a decade before that, when the oddball who wanted to pay with a credit card had to wait for a manager to come over to approve it.  Get off my lawn.  Also I feel your pain.  Ouch.

• Like 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

People who had 100 coupons lol. Are there even paper coupons anymore? 

Must be because I know I've been stuck in line behind people who seem to have a coupon for every item in their cart!   

This reminds me though of the people I see who want to use something on their phones - like an airmiles # or similar and spend ages scrolling through their photos/files/whatever trying to find it.  I'd think they'd have it up and ready for scanning but I think wrong.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

A couple decades ago you'd have been griping about the person who waits until the total comes up before they pull out their checkbook and start writing their check. 

Those people drove me batty!

• Like 3
12 minutes ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

This reminds me though of the people I see who want to use something on their phones - like an airmiles # or similar and spend ages scrolling through their photos/files/whatever trying to find it.  I'd think they'd have it up and ready for scanning but I think wrong.

I recently redeemed a coupon (at Harbor Freight) for a pressure washer.  It was the first time I had done this on my phone (via an e-mail message) and I had it ready and waiting when I was in line.  I held that phone like a hand grenade because I was afraid I would do something to 'lose' the coupon (and then have to scramble to find it again).  In my defense, I was still learning my smart phone at the time. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I still use paper coupons, but I only take the ones I’m using with me to the store, and I have them at the ready when I check out.  It doesn’t take any longer to scan those than it does to scan another item or two.  And I’m sorry to tell you that if I’m buying gift cards, I’ll write a check — which I write beforehand so all I have to do is hand it over.  I suppose the bad part there is that I get my groceries in a separate order from the gift card.

The only time I feel like I’m holding up the line is when I make a work-related purchase. Those are tax-exempt, so I have to fill out some paperwork at the store.  Sometimes it takes the cashier a couple of minutes to find the form, and of course it takes me a couple of minutes to fill it out.  Still, it doesn’t take any longer than when someone has a giant cart piled high with groceries!

• Like 4
8 hours ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

Must be because I know I've been stuck in line behind people who seem to have a coupon for every item in their cart!   

They’re probably trying to find their card.  I have more than 10 cards on my phone and many people have more. 

Today it was at the hair salon and the woman cutting my hair was ranting about Covid lockdowns. I'd have to google to confirm when we last had one in our area but I am confident it was at least a year ago and even then it was not nearly as restrictive as the earlier ones had been. 

Ugh, people are still overstating the "lockdowns" and "quarantines." I can speak only for where I live, but no one was locked anywhere, even at the very beginning. Obviously, there were advisories, and some businesses were unable to operate while shit was still being figured out, but some people make it seem like we were all herded back inside with bayonets if we dared venture outdoors.

• Like 12
  • Applause 2
On 3/15/2023 at 10:37 PM, PRgal said:

I wonder if it's a generational thing.  My grandmother was born in the 1920s in a different part of the world (Macau).  She didn't read much in English (her English skills were fairly basic, though she was educated at an English medium school.  I guess it's like kids who do French immersion in Canada.  Are many truly bilingual?  Maybe when they finish high school, but if they don't USE it, they forget.  And my grandmother forgot, despite coming to Canada.  If you're Cantonese-speaking, you really don't need to be THAT fluent in English to survive in Toronto, even back in the 80s) and got all her news sources from various Chinese publications.  Some of which are tabloid-y (she loved celebrity gossip rags).  She didn't drive and her life was basically reading those rags, taking care of me while my parents were at work and maybe seeing her friends once in a while (she had some close friends in the Toronto area, but not super-close to where we were living).  

Misinformation is a widespread problem. It was always here, but got much worse with the expansion of internet access. The older generation that doesn't have much understanding about the safety on internet is particularly vulnerable, but it's not limited just to them, I've seen young people completely brainwashed by that stuff. I could go on a long rant against misinformation crap, but considering who tends to support it, I'm unable to not go into politics when talking about it.

• Like 9
1 hour ago, JustHereForFood said:

Misinformation is a widespread problem. It was always here, but got much worse with the expansion of internet access. The older generation that doesn't have much understanding about the safety on internet is particularly vulnerable, but it's not limited just to them, I've seen young people completely brainwashed by that stuff. I could go on a long rant against misinformation crap, but considering who tends to support it, I'm unable to not go into politics when talking about it.

My grandmother died in 2013 and her rant about getting HIV from the pool was back in the early 90s.  No internet, only print, radio and TV (she only watched the Chinese language channel).  Like I said, she read a lot of tabloids. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
5 hours ago, JustHereForFood said:

The older generation that doesn't have much understanding about the safety on internet is particularly vulnerable

I have access to my mom's Facebook account and I go in every few days to clean it up (she knows about this). I "caught" her doing an "if you copy and paste this text it will clean up all your ads" post. Last year she spammed all of her friends via messenger with the "if you copy/paste this into your feed it means FB can't use your data" nonsense. I called her to explain that doesn't do crap. What can help is letting me turn on the ad-blocker and stop clicking on things. We also reviewed "sponsored posts" vs posts from her friends. So far, so good.

Thankfully, she doesn't buy things online. She'll send me what she wants and I'll find it. I have a hard rule that if she sees it on Facebook she needs to go find it on Amazon. I worry about them getting scammed. They're still mentally there, and savvy. My dad will mess with the scammers claiming to be his grandkids (there are no grandkids, I'm an only child and I am female so we would know). I pass the new scams on to them to keep them aware.

• Like 8
  • Applause 1
5 hours ago, JustHereForFood said:

Right, and an example of this is the frequent lack of understanding that literally anyone can, say, add text on top of a photo to make it look like a celebrity said something. It’s like some members of certain age groups believe that if it’s on the internet at all, it must be true in some way or another.* And maybe that stems partly from the fact that, in their day, news was generally reported straight-up/as-is without interjected editorializing. It must be hard for them to fathom the way information is shared now, when such an idea might seem be like sci-fi to them way back when.

*Except when it doesn’t fit their preferred narrative anymore.

• Like 4

Yes I wonder what it's like for young people who may not know what to believe anymore.   For what it's worth, I just noticed that the New York Times, which I read online, has dropped the byline "All the News that's Fit to Print".

When did that happen??

• Mind Blown 2
5 hours ago, PRgal said:

My grandmother died in 2013 and her rant about getting HIV from the pool was back in the early 90s.  No internet, only print, radio and TV (she only watched the Chinese language channel).  Like I said, she read a lot of tabloids. 

Sure, that's why I said it got worse, but it has always been there.  We still have one (at least one that I'm aware of) print magazine that is full of misinformation, mostly medical (recent years have been a goldmine for those creeps) and they try very hard to look legit, print in on nice expensive paper, etc. I guess for some people, that looks more legit than if the same stuff is on the internet. 

And facebook makes everything worse.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
3 hours ago, roseha said:

Yes I wonder what it's like for young people who may not know what to believe anymore.   For what it's worth, I just noticed that the New York Times, which I read online, has dropped the byline "All the News that's Fit to Print".

When did that happen??

It did not happen.  I just checked.  I no longer get the hard copy paper, but the PDF of the front page of the print paper still shows the old slogan. 

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, JustHereForFood said:

Sure, that's why I said it got worse, but it has always been there.  We still have one (at least one that I'm aware of) print magazine that is full of misinformation, mostly medical (recent years have been a goldmine for those creeps) and they try very hard to look legit, print in on nice expensive paper, etc. I guess for some people, that looks more legit than if the same stuff is on the internet. 

And facebook makes everything worse.

And it doesn't help that celebrities always tout this or that diet helps them stay thin/fit.  Yeah, but the celebs also have trainers that they work with daily.   

• Like 1
1 hour ago, EtheltoTillie said:

It did not happen.  I just checked.  I no longer get the hard copy paper, but the PDF of the front page of the print paper still shows the old slogan. 

Thanks @EtheltoTillie for checking that!  I wish it was on the digital version though.  Just for the sake of it.

10 hours ago, JustHereForFood said:

The older generation that doesn't have much understanding about the safety on internet is particularly vulnerable

The internet has been in existence for 40 years, and has been in widespread use for probably 30.  Anyone in their 80s today was probably exposed to computers, and the internet, in their workplace. 

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, Quof said:

The internet has been in existence for 40 years, and has been in widespread use for probably 30.

Shhh. 1995 (when we got our first internet-capable computer) was just a couple of years ago. Though, according to Target and other clothing retailers, we are currently living in the mid-1990s.

• Like 1
  • LOL 5