Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,
  • Start Topic

10 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I am peeved that the Domino's Brownulated sugar is no longer being sold in large bags.  Now they're just selling it in small shaker dispensers, which I don't like, and they've renamed it Pourable Brown Sugar.  They have a poorly designed spout that lets too much sugar flow out at once.  Not good for sprinkling on my oatmeal.   I have glass dispensers like the ones you get at a diner, and I've always transferred from the bags to the dispensers.  Now I'm pouring the whole Domino dispsenser into my glass dispenser.  Phooey.  (I've always used it for baking too, as I've not wanted to deal with the hardened regular brown sugar.  I would have to buy a fresh bag for any baking project if I didn't use the Brownulated.)

They are selling bags of the Demarara or Turbinado sugar with the big crystals, but that's not what I want. 

I checked their web site and emailed a complaint.  Maybe they'll send me coupons for free sugar.

I buy this as well, and lamented when it no longer was available in bulk packaging. I have switched to traditional brown sugar for baking, as it's too expensive to use the (hard to find) smaller shaker bottles, which I use only for oatmeal or similar.

Tip - If your traditional brown sugar is hard-like-rock when you go to use it, add a piece of bread to your container/bag, an it will render it usable once again in relative short order.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Like 1
  • Useful 2
1 hour ago, stewedsquash said:

I immediately transfer my brown sugar to a glass container that has a seal around the metal lid and have never had hardness. Having said that I am going to check out this shakeable brown sugar just as a topping for different things.

This is what it looks like. 10oz container, about 8"-9" tall. I find it randomly but not consistently at the local grocery.

Domino-Brown-Sugar-Pourable-Light

• Like 1
On 2/14/2023 at 9:59 PM, RealHousewife said:

People thinking just because someone says things without caring if it’s respectful or PC that they must be honest. Some of the most blunt, abrasive people are still full of crap. 

I have a former friend like that. She always said that she was rude and mean because her family was abusive and dysfunctional. But she would never stop with the mean, rude comments. It became simply unpleasant to be around her, and over time I cared less tbh about her childhood, because she was now an adult and still selfish, rude, and self-absorbed.

• Like 4
23 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

You can nuke it for a few seconds and it will soften right up. Same with honey that's gone too thick to pour.

You can also put a piece of bread in the bag or whatever container you keep the sugar in. 

Never mind—someone already said it! But it works!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 4
  • Love 1
On 2/13/2023 at 7:53 PM, StatisticalOutlier said:

And while I'm at it--why do tow trucks get to drive with their flashing lights on? 

Yesterday I was driving through a parking lot and noticed some flashing yellow lights.  It was a flatbed tow truck, with nothing on the flatbed and not towing anything, in the drive-thru at McDonald's. 

• LOL 2

My dad re-did his taxes, and managed to knock about half the amount off. He still owes a lot, but he's stopped panicking. Something wasn't registering, involving his vans. I can't remember what the other thing was.

By the way: someone on twitter, recommended an app call Farmish, for finding eggs at a more affordable price. One location for us, sells them at $2, and they come right from the farm. 

• Useful 5

Taxes in general, but receiving a 1099 AFTER I've already filed has me peeved today.  Now I have to go back to the tax preparer and file an amended return.  I don't know whether to be peeved at the USPS or at the agency who sent the 1099.  I would have thought I'd have had everything by the middle of February.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I buy dark brown sugar and repackage it in a zip top bag with the terracotta thing (that first was soaked in water). Place the zip top bag in one of the crispers and never have a problem with it. 

Where do u buy the terra-cotta thing?  Any place that has kitchen stuff?  Walmart?

1 hour ago, kristen111 said:

Where do u buy the terra-cotta thing?  Any place that has kitchen stuff?  Walmart?

I can't recall where I bought this little terracotta "teddy bear".  Could've been Wegmans or another supermarket, or Williams-Sonoma...not sure. But you need to soak it in water for a while before placing it in with the brown sugar. I know I've found them in various stores over the years.

• Like 1

Whispering, depending on the setting and context. This morning I was sitting in Mass and the people behind me were whispering/talking during the offertory hymn and part of the sermon. I found it really distracting especially when the priest is talking! If you need to chat that much either stay home or go outside. I just don’t get it.

I used to hate whispering when I worked in offices too. While I don’t necessarily mind the possibility of needing to see coworkers in person again, I don’t miss trying to get my work done while two people whisper within earshot. I think it’s just the sound that and hush hush that grates on me for some reason.

• Like 4
52 minutes ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

Whispering, depending on the setting and context. This morning I was sitting in Mass and the people behind me were whispering/talking during the offertory hymn and part of the sermon.

You should turn around and tell them to stop talking.  If people don't get corrected, that gives them license to think rudeness like that is okay.

When I was young, I was an usher at an event venue.  Another usher and I were sitting on the ground behind the seats talking to each other.  A man in the back row turned around and told us to shut up, and while it pissed me off at first, I realized he was 100% right, and I'm not sure without such an intervention I ever would have grokked that it's not okay to talk when other people are trying to listen to something.  I'm so embarrassed I was that clueless, and rude.

So whenever I tell someone to stop talking, like at a lecture or a movie, I think of it as doing them a favor, as well as doing a favor for everyone around me who for some reason puts up with it.  Not all are receptive--there's the time a couple came in late to a movie and sat right behind me in an otherwise almost empty theater and were continuing their argument and weeping and I stood up and turned around and said, "Can you please stop talking?" and the guy shot back, "Can you kiss my ass?"  I stammered, "No."  That's telling him!

They left a few minutes later--they stayed long enough to show me I can't tell them what to do, I'm sure.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 2
1 hour ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

Whispering, depending on the setting and context. This morning I was sitting in Mass and the people behind me were whispering/talking during the offertory hymn and part of the sermon. I found it really distracting especially when the priest is talking! If you need to chat that much either stay home or go outside. I just don’t get it.

I used to hate whispering when I worked in offices too. While I don’t necessarily mind the possibility of needing to see coworkers in person again, I don’t miss trying to get my work done while two people whisper within earshot. I think it’s just the sound that and hush hush that grates on me for some reason.

Was there a young child behind you?  Kids sometimes ask their parents to tell them what's going on - especially if they're not regular church goers.

3 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I can't recall where I bought this little terracotta "teddy bear".  Could've been Wegmans or another supermarket, or Williams-Sonoma...not sure. But you need to soak it in water for a while before placing it in with the brown sugar. I know I've found them in various stores over the years.

I just put a pile of brown sugar, butter and cinnamon on my gigantic sweet potato.    I might explode soon.

• LOL 7
17 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

I just put a pile of brown sugar, butter and cinnamon on my gigantic sweet potato.    I might explode soon.

Maybe if you added a handful of toasted pecans? KABOOM!

Edited by peacheslatour
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, Anela said:

By the way: someone on twitter, recommended an app call Farmish, for finding eggs at a more affordable price. One location for us, sells them at $2, and they come right from the farm. 

Wow!  What a find -- two dollars!!  (You mean per dozen, right, not per egg? 🙂 ).  I used to have a neighbor down the street with chickens, but they moved years ago, so I've been buying from a family a few miles away.  They've long charged $7 for a dozen, which is now what factory-farmed eggs cost in stores, and the family has not raised their price, so there are a whole bunch of people here paying the same amount for old eggs from chickens who are not treated properly* that I pay for fresh eggs from happy, loved chickens.

*Eggs produced in CA must be from cage-free chickens, so one of the industry's most cruel practices is not at play, but the minimum requirement for space/movement is still pitiful and all the other problems remain.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
3 hours ago, PRgal said:

Was there a young child behind you?  Kids sometimes ask their parents to tell them what's going on - especially if they're not regular church goers.

No it was adults/older teenagers. 

The lady who answered the phone during the penitential act (a confession prayer) a few months ago and had a conversation from her pew still reins supreme as the worst person at Mass ever, though. Multiple people turning around to be like “what even?” 🤣

• Mind Blown 2
  • LOL 3
4 hours ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

The lady who answered the phone during the penitential act (a confession prayer) a few months ago and had a conversation from her pew still reins supreme as the worst person at Mass ever, though. Multiple people turning around to be like “what even?” 🤣

Did any of them say anything?  Like hey, get off the phone.  I've noticed that people on the phone in particular kind of stare into space, so no amount of looking at them will have any effect whatsoever.

• Like 3

Shoe insoles' sizes -- or size ranges, rather! I understand that it is typical to have to trim them down but "women's 6-11" is a bit too broad; I am literally slicing off half the thing here (any farther and I'd be cutting into the so-called "stimulating nodes"!). 

• Like 2
  • LOL 3
4 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Shoe insoles' sizes -- or size ranges, rather! I understand that it is typical to have to trim them down but "women's 6-11" is a bit too broad; I am literally slicing off half the thing here (any farther and I'd be cutting into the so-called "stimulating nodes"!). 

And socks!  Sometime, the heel ends up at the ankle! 

• Like 3

Peeve:  People who pick up and drop their phone repeatedly on their workout machine at the gym. Pick it up, scroll, scroll, scroll, drop it on the little shelf thing and keep repeating that pattern every few minutes. It is so loud and distracting! The man next to me on the treadmill this morning must have done it 20 times in the 45 minutes I was on the machine, ARGH! 

• Like 1
  • Fire 1
On 2/19/2023 at 3:02 PM, Cloud9Shopper said:

No it was adults/older teenagers. 

At my parish we make a big point of asking everyone to turn OFF their cell phones during the introductory bit before Mass starts. I am a lector twice a month (for the Saturday vigil Mass as I'm in the choir every Sunday morning for the main 10:30 AM Mass) and I always pause after that and look out at the congregation expectantly so they don't miss the opportunity to silence their phones!

Nonetheless we have a lot of senior citizens who still don't know how to work their cell phones all that well and at least once a month one will ring during Mass but I have never seen anyone actually answer their phone or talk on one during the liturgy. We do have lots of squalling infants on Sunday mornings (our "crying rooms" are overflowing) but up in the choir we just laugh and refer to them as future choir members.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

@isalicatI’m in the choir too! :) I mostly love it but a lot of the ladies I sit by tend to chatter during practice and never seem to know where we are. We only have a few men, and they are pretty with it. It’s fun though. 

The choir director at my parish is a professional musician of great repute (and her husband is the Director of the San Luis Obispo Master Chorale - I auditioned and was accepted to the Chorale in 2019 and then Covid hit in 2020 and we went on hiatus for way too long, but we have had a full season this year, performing at the Performing Arts Center - we are doing Mendelssohn's Elijah on April 23rd). So good luck "chattering during practice" - the standard is really high and we are expected to be able to sight read our parts from scratch and be very diligent about showing up. Pet peeve: people (who should know better) that applaud after Mass for the choir (we sing all the Mass parts plus a relevant choir piece during Communion). It is not a performance, people, we are part of you, we are just singing. Stop clapping!!

• Like 2

Ah the clapping doesn’t bother me too much! Whoever is saying the Mass (my parish has a main priest and an assistant priest) will thank the choir when we sing and people will clap. I think it’s nice of the priest to acknowledge it and hear the appreciation. They’ll recognize first-time altar servers at the end too. Our main priest has a good sense of humor so he’ll say to the kids “Now they won’t clap for you every week so don’t get used to it!” The kids also know it’s in good fun. 

One week during Mass the choir wasn’t singing but there was a problem with the organ that caused it to make an odd sound and the priest said “Well that doesn’t sound very peaceful! It looks like (our organist’s name) is still working on his lessons.”

I am kind of done with high standards choirs at this point in my life. I have been in church and school groups since I was younger, and when I saw our local choral society had two hour practices I decided that was not for me. But I don’t begrudge anyone who enjoys it. I’m just happy with my weekly church choir practices and occasional Masses. 

• Like 1

Reading these posts re: choirs and practice brought back a memory of my dad talking about his early days playing the church organ--as a teenager! My grandfather was a Congregationalist minister. So, back in the very old days, my dad had to not only play the (pump) organ in church, but also play for choir practice on Wednesday nights (a school night 🧐). As an adult, he was the organist & choir director at a Baptist church in our town (mom, sis & I attended the Methodist church). 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
10 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

Having giant/wide feet. No cute shoes/socks for me.

Am always wearing men’s socks and shoes 😢😢😢.

Opposite is true too.  I mean, unless you mean little kid cute.  

• Like 3
1 hour ago, oliviabenson said:

Having giant/wide feet. No cute shoes/socks for me.

How big?  I wear a size ten wide or eleven regular and have a closet full of cute shoes in multiple styles.  There are a lot more options now than there used to be (the wide is new, but I reached size ten length back in high school [which was many, many moons ago]).  DSW is the brick and mortar chain with the best selection at that size I've found, but there are numerous online options and some offer free returns.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
40 minutes ago, Bastet said:

How big?  I wear a size ten wide or eleven regular and have a closet full of cute shoes in multiple styles.  There are a lot more options now than there used to be (the wide is new, but I reached size ten length back in high school [which was many, many moons ago]).  DSW is the brick and mortar chain with the best selection at that size I've found, but there are numerous online options and some offer free returns.

I’m a 12/13 in men’s shoes 

I have really big/wide feet and I’m 5’6! I must look like a clown with my big feet 😢

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1

Evening peeves:

Thin mints aren't calorie free. 

When I get all snuggled into bed with one of my house lions tucked in next to me and then the other one comes barging in and opening the door more than I like it. So I have to get out of bed and adjust the door.

When I forget to collect the bell ball toys before bed and the above house lion decides 3am is time to play with one on the bed.

• Like 4
  • LOL 9
10 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

Evening peeves:

Thin mints aren't calorie free. 

When I get all snuggled into bed with one of my house lions tucked in next to me and then the other one comes barging in and opening the door more than I like it. So I have to get out of bed and adjust the door.

When I forget to collect the bell ball toys before bed and the above house lion decides 3am is time to play with one on the bed.

Or you're stumbling in the dark to get to the loo and you trip over said jingly toys and the lions think you want to play now!

• Like 4
  • LOL 7

My sister used to get so mad that I got the small (annoying) feet and she didn't. BUT...she is 4 or 5 inches taller than I am; it would be dangerous for her to have my kind of feet!

Ugh, my peeve right now is tiredness; it seems to hit in the afternoon lately. I'm assuming it's left over from having COVID last week. I shouldn't complain though; I had no symptoms at all when I was testing positive, except for being a little tired. However, what I will complain about is the fact that I tested positive for COVID only a couple of days after I finally got rid of the walking boot I had for a fracture! My mobility, literal and figurative, has been compromised since before the start of this year!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Hugs 10
50 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Or you're stumbling in the dark to get to the loo and you trip over said jingly toys and the lions think you want to play now!

Or when you get up to use the bathroom and one of the lions takes that opportunity to go curl up in the warm spot and immediately fall asleep.

• Like 4
  • LOL 3
1 hour ago, theredhead77 said:

Or when you get up to use the bathroom and one of the lions takes that opportunity to go curl up in the warm spot and immediately fall asleep.

My boyfriend does that -- and he's way harder to move than the cat is, haha! Come on, just because I got up doesn't mean I am getting up.

Nail polish! And I don’t even mean chipping, though that sucks too. I mean lumpy texture and bubbles the day after, even though it was smooth and beautiful yesterday when I did it! 

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Mind Blown 1

Riley does that every single time I get up.  In fact, she's there and curled back up before I've even fully cleared the bed.

• LOL 6

Look up opportunist in the dictionary and see a picture of a cat.

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 10
1 hour ago, TattleTeeny said:

Nail polish! And I don’t even mean chipping, though that sucks too. I mean lumpy texture and bubbles the day after, even though it was smooth and beautiful yesterday when I did it! 

I've found that usually means I've put it on too thick. Yes, it looks great at first, but the top of the polish, exposed to air, dries first, and the bubbles are formed as the still-wet polish underneath tries to dry. Two thin coats (yes, the first one may look wimpy) with sufficient drying time between them, really do look better. (Three for me, because I use a clear, smoothing base coat.)

• Like 3
  • Useful 4
10 minutes ago, HissyFit said:

I've found that usually means I've put it on too thick. Yes, it looks great at first, but the top of the polish, exposed to air, dries first, and the bubbles are formed as the still-wet polish underneath tries to dry. Two thin coats (yes, the first one may look wimpy) with sufficient drying time between them, really do look better. (Three for me, because I use a clear, smoothing base coat.)

As a paint and coatings expert, many thin coats are much preferable to one thick coat.

• Like 4