Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

There doesn’t seem to be a TV pet peeves thread (that I found) so I’m putting this here since it’s more pet peeve than TV opinion.

I hate when people try to force on me how I should watch TV or what I should think of a character or anything else mostly because I feel fiction is subjective and there’s no one true way to see canon. But lately I have mentioned I don’t really care for a ship or a particular era of a show or a character or whatever else and some people act like I can’t possibly have that opinion. 

“But you have to give them a chance; they just got together!” 

“You have to invest in these characters and watch them grow!”

”If you don’t like this ship or that character you just didn’t pay attention. You should be more open minded.” 

No. I don’t have to ship any ship or like a character or watch an episode I don’t like just because you think I’m wrong. And I don’t get this attitude either. Plenty of people don’t like ships and characters I do, and I don’t try to tell them they’re wrong or they’d get it if they just paid attention. Or that if they just gave it a chance they’d like it! I feel like it comes from people who make a ship or something their whole personality and can’t cope with any kind of challenge to their opinion. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 2

OK, maybe I mentioned it before (and some may think I'm being too phobic). However, I don't get why so many servers/hosts,etc. put utensils directly onto the surface of the diners bare tabletops without attempting to put any plate, napkin,etc. underneath said utensils.  For all the diners know, the previous diner might have had a cold,etc. and coughed/sneezed directly onto the tabletop where the utensils have now been placed sans any kind of barriers.

I mean, has anyone heard of a diner getting upset if the utensils were NOT directly on top of the bare tabletop?

Edited by Blergh
  • Like 6
4 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Here is one (of many) of my TV peeves. I just saw an ad for Crisley Knows Best, according to the USA channel it's an all new episode. Aren't the Crisleys in prison?

I asked about this on the Chrisley thread. Someone replied that the show is cancelled, but they're burning off the episodes they had in the can. 

USA should have eaten them. Fuck the Chrisleys. 

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
40 minutes ago, Blergh said:

OK, maybe I mentioned it before (and some may think I'm being too phobic). However, I don't get why so many servers/hosts,etc. put utensils directly onto the surface of the diners bare tabletops without attempting to put any plate, napkin,etc. underneath said utensils.  For all the diners know, the previous diner might have had a cold,etc. and coughed/sneezed directly onto the tabletop where the utensils have now been placed sans any kind of barriers.

I mean, has anyone heard of a diner getting upset if the utensils were NOT directly on top of the bare tabletop?

They're supposed to wipe down tables after each time the table is used.  Napkins are only supposed to be on one side, so where else would they put the cutlery?  I was taught fork(s) on the left, knife on the right unless you're at a very casual place where knives and forks are both on the right.   

• Like 3
2 hours ago, PRgal said:

They're supposed to wipe down tables after each time the table is used.  Napkins are only supposed to be on one side, so where else would they put the cutlery?  I was taught fork(s) on the left, knife on the right unless you're at a very casual place where knives and forks are both on the right.   

They could put cutlery on the place settings, napkins, tablecloth or ( if none of the above exist) on an empty plate or saucer. And, yes, I know they're supposed to wipe the bare table surface between each customer. However,if I didn't witness them doing so, I won't give them that benefit of the doubt!

• Like 2

Waiting for AAA to get here. It's not the waiting so much as watching the icon be about 10 minutes away and then suddenly it's like halfway to Hartford. WTF? The app has also said eta 8:31 since about 7:31, and laptop map has said 20 no 18 no 20 no 19 minutes for the last half hour.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Here is one (of many) of my TV peeves. I just saw an ad for Crisley Knows Best, according to the USA channel it's an all new episode. Aren't the Crisleys in prison?

Nowadays, it pays to be a crook.  You write a book, tv appearances, make a movie, etc.  Going to jail is the best.  Look at Martha Stuart, Teresa Gudice.  Millionaires and beloved.

• Like 3
7 hours ago, kristen111 said:

Nowadays, it pays to be a crook.  You write a book, tv appearances, make a movie, etc.  Going to jail is the best.  Look at Martha Stuart, Teresa Gudice.  Millionaires and beloved.

Martha had great image advice.  She served a short prison sentence and could rehabilitate herself.  Even Teresa served a relatively short sentence.  The Chrisleys got very long sentences, so crime isn't going to pay for them 

• Like 1
  • Applause 3
On 2/5/2023 at 7:34 PM, Blergh said:

OK, maybe I mentioned it before (and some may think I'm being too phobic). However, I don't get why so many servers/hosts,etc. put utensils directly onto the surface of the diners bare tabletops without attempting to put any plate, napkin,etc. underneath said utensils.  For all the diners know, the previous diner might have had a cold,etc. and coughed/sneezed directly onto the tabletop where the utensils have now been placed sans any kind of barrier

Something that bothers me is when a waiter lifts the water glasses off a tray, to place at each setting, with his/her fingers wrapped around the top of each glass. When I see that, I never drink the water. I once saw Giada, at a famous bar in Venice, turn around a cocktail glass that the owner  handed to her with his fingers touching part of the top of the glass. Then she took a sip. 

• Like 7

Using "the claw" to place (or remove ftm) a drinking vessel is extremely poor form, and shows not only a lack of self-awareness, but a lack of training.  Always should be handled around the body of the glass, or by the stem.

Back in normal times, I would have asked for a replacement when a server violated this rule, but now, the unfortunate climate in our culture risks that your beverage comes back with unknown um, violations having been done to it.

Now I would simply return it and ask that it be removed from the bill.  Since I can no longer actually afford to eat outside of my own home, it's not a problem. 

Ah the joys of modern life.

• Like 5
  • Hugs 1
43 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Using "the claw" to place (or remove ftm) a drinking vessel is extremely poor form, and shows not only a lack of self-awareness, but a lack of training.  Always should be handled around the body of the glass, or by the stem.

Back in normal times, I would have asked for a replacement when a server violated this rule, but now, the unfortunate climate in our culture risks that your beverage comes back with unknown um, violations having been done to it.

Now I would simply return it and ask that it be removed from the bill.  Since I can no longer actually afford to eat outside of my own home, it's not a problem. 

Ah the joys of modern life.

• LOL 4
3 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Hey @EtheltoTillie and others: Looks like we got the "old" home page for "our shows" back!

Now I need to test to see if the multi-quoting in one window, will carry over to a new window has also been restored.

Yes, I noticed that this morning.  It's not exactly the same, though because all the letters run together.  But it's still easier.  Now I don't have to look at the top of each column to see where each show's alphabetical order is. 

• Like 2

I can't figure out what TPTB have done to this site but it's strange. I don't use the dark background so it's hard to see where one can click for the emoticons. This two legged cat doesn't like change 😾.

My mega pet peeve: people who don't step on it when the light turns green, and the insecure folks behind them who are afraid to beep the horn. Quit texting or checking out Facebook. Pay attention to the lights. Those of us way in the back of the line may not make the light if you dawdle. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
24 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Quit texting or checking out Facebook. Pay attention to the lights. Those of us way in the back of the line may not make the light if you dawdle. 

Other than the comments section of most of the internet, there is no greater concentration of people who don't give a crap about what their actions mean for other people than in automobiles. Right now. Everywhere. 

Within the last 24 hours, I've had not one but two people do the old rolling stop to just pull out in front of me on a 55 MPH road and go about 40 after that. If they had bothered to actually stop at the STOP sign, they would have seen that pulling out in front of me was dangerous. But by just blowing off the stop, I guess the theory was, he's got enough time to slam on the breaks so avoid hitting me.

This morning on the highway I got the person in front of me in the left lane who somehow got caught in the gravity of the truck in the right lane as we were going up a hill. That's the only explanation of how we slowed down from 75 to 50 as we passed by the slow moving truck. Somehow the gravity of the truck sucked in the car in front of me and slowed it down by 25 MPH.

I got a "Blinker? I don't need no stinkin' blinker" today at lunch.

And last night coming home from shopping I got a "I'm gonna go 45 in this 55, but when you go to pass me in the legal passing zone, I'm gonna go 65."

The whole lot of them, just ugh. 

• Like 5
  • Hugs 1
  • Fire 1
  • LOL 1
5 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

It's not exactly the same, though because all the letters run together. 

That's being discussed in the thread for this latest site update.  Somewhere down the line, those of us who want the letter headings back, so it's not one long list but is again broken up into sections, may be given the option to display it that way.  So, add your voice to those wanting such an option.

• Like 3
18 minutes ago, Bastet said:

That's being discussed in the thread for this latest site update.  Somewhere down the line, those of us who want the letter headings back, so it's not one long list but is again broken up into sections, may be given the option to display it that way.  So, add your voice to those wanting such an option.

Done!  Thanks for letting me know. 

On 2/7/2023 at 2:33 PM, annzeepark914 said:

My mega pet peeve: people who don't step on it when the light turns green, and the insecure folks behind them who are afraid to beep the horn. Quit texting or checking out Facebook. Pay attention to the lights. Those of us way in the back of the line may not make the light if you dawdle.

This is true.  However, it really irks me how quickly and frequently people are honking their horns lately.  Just today, at two different lights, two different jackasses were blasting their horns at the first car in line within a half second of the light turning green.  And it wasn't just little nudging beeps, either, but long, aggressive horn honking even after the line started moving.  A few years ago I read Tim Snyder's "On Tyranny" and it made an impact on not only how I interact with strangers but in observing how other strangers treat each other.  There is some serious short-tempered ugliness out there.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 3

Yes @annzeepark914that's totally understandable.  As you said, people who are glued to their phones and not paying attention sometimes need a nudge, especially at short lights.  What I'm talking about are the aggressive, impatient people who are honking as soon as the light turns green.  It's happening more and more in the areas I travel.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 1

I've posted this before, but if you're a shitty parker, at least leave the good parking spots open. Unless it's an emergency, there is no reason for you to park in the front and take up two good spots. They're especially precious during the winter.

• Like 3
9 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

I've posted this before, but if you're a shitty parker, at least leave the good parking spots open. Unless it's an emergency, there is no reason for you to park in the front and take up two good spots. They're especially precious during the winter.

I won't argue that there are some horrible parkers out there (I've encountered them!) but sometimes disabled people will take up two spots if all the disabled parking is gone.

• Useful 1
On 2/7/2023 at 3:33 PM, annzeepark914 said:

Where I used to live was near a college campus and more frequently than not I'd be behind someone with their head bowed looking at their phone when the left turn arrow turned green.  Since it is not green for long I would tap my horn after a few seconds. A few of them were polite but the majority gave me the #1 sign. 

On 2/7/2023 at 3:57 PM, JTMacc99 said:

Within the last 24 hours, I've had not one but two people do the old rolling stop to just pull out in front of me on a 55 MPH road and go about 40 after that. If they had bothered to actually stop at the STOP sign, they would have seen that pulling out in front of me was dangerous. But by just blowing off the stop, I guess the theory was, he's got enough time to slam on the breaks so avoid hitting me.

This morning on the highway I got the person in front of me in the left lane who somehow got caught in the gravity of the truck in the right lane as we were going up a hill. That's the only explanation of how we slowed down from 75 to 50 as we passed by the slow moving truck. Somehow the gravity of the truck sucked in the car in front of me and slowed it down by 25 MPH.

I got a "Blinker? I don't need no stinkin' blinker" today at lunch.

And last night coming home from shopping I got a "I'm gonna go 45 in this 55, but when you go to pass me in the legal passing zone, I'm gonna go 65."

The whole lot of them, just ugh. 

HAHAHAHA! We drive a rural route to our place on the St. Lawrence, it's about a 3 hour drive, and let me tell you, the number of vehicles that would pull out in front of us while we are going 55-60mph and then putter along at 40-45mph as if the whole road belonged to them was infuriating! Blinkers? Why signal? Just slow waaaaaaaayyyy down and make us guess which direction you're turning, we've made it a game! 

• Fire 2
  • LOL 1
53 minutes ago, KittyMom4 said:

then putter along at 40-45mph as if the whole road belonged to them

I'm pretty convinced that at a certain age, some people have a gene that's triggered and from that point until they die, they drive 42 mph everywhere. 

Speed limit is 55?  42.

Speed limit slows down to 30 in residential area?  42.

Stop sign? 42.

• Like 1
  • LOL 12
15 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

I 2nd this and will add: I purposely park in the *farthest area possible, where there are no other cars around. Why, why, why when I come back to my truck is there always at least one car parked in a spot right.next.to.me? You couldn't have taken one spot over? or 5 spots over? Why??????

*I do this because I drive a truck and it's big and I don't want to worry about dinging someone's door or blocking the view of smaller vehicles near me trying to pull out. 

19 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

I'm pretty convinced that at a certain age, some people have a gene that's triggered and from that point until they die, they drive 42 mph everywhere. 

HA! You may be on to something! 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, KittyMom4 said:

I purposely park in the *farthest area possible, where there are no other cars around. Why, why, why when I come back to my truck is there always at least one car parked in a spot right.next.to.me? You couldn't have taken one spot over? or 5 spots over? Why??????

What is with this???  Are they lonesome? No matter where I am, if I park away from the rest of the pack, when I return a car/van/truck will be snuggled up right next to my car. 

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 2
  • LOL 2
On 2/7/2023 at 2:33 PM, annzeepark914 said:

If I caused you to honk, I apologize, but I was not texting or dawdling. I've been in two accidents in the past 20 years and both occurred when I proceeded on a green light and another driver ran the red light and hit my car (one from the right, one from the left, and both struck the rear quarter panel of my vehicle, so I was well into the intersection). As a result, I don't trust people not to run red lights!  I look to be sure the other cars are stopped or slowing before I hit the gas. 

• Like 8
  • Useful 3
57 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

image.png.85e7735414a7fa71fcc078b4f5bc1a40.png

This cartoon reminds me of something my stepdaughter told us about some people with autism. She wanted to give us an example of how they might not be thinking of what other people might not like. Going to a movie where there's hardly anyone in the theater?  The person with autism might very well go sit next to the one person in the theater. Who knows why???  

• Useful 7
1 hour ago, HissyFit said:

If I caused you to honk, I apologize, but I was not texting or dawdling. I've been in two accidents in the past 20 years and both occurred when I proceeded on a green light and another driver ran the red light and hit my car (one from the right, one from the left, and both struck the rear quarter panel of my vehicle, so I was well into the intersection). As a result, I don't trust people not to run red lights!  I look to be sure the other cars are stopped or slowing before I hit the gas. 

I will always wait a beat before going when the light turns green just for that reason. I'm 99% sure that waiting a literal second was covered in drivers ed too. 

• Like 8
  • Useful 1
14 hours ago, HissyFit said:

I don't blame you for checking carefully before proceeding. One of my friends was hit by a car that had already stopped for a red light & then, as she was entering the intersection, he started driving again (his excuse was that he had to pick up his kid at school). He only got a ticket for crashing into her car. She was ok but had to deal with getting the car repaired. But I was referring to folks who just sit there because they're texting, not paying attention. Hope you didn't have any injuries. Running red lights, rolling through stop signs, not stopping for right-on-red turns has gotten worse. A few months ago I almost got hit by a cop running a red light (& he wasn't speeding or had his lights flashing). It's a jungle out there 👀.

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Like 4
3 hours ago, HissyFit said:

Yes I do the same thing.  Many years ago I got a speeding ticket and had to take a class to avoid points on my license.  Waiting a beat or two to proceed when a light turned green was one of the safety topics of that class.  The instructor had also been hit more than once from red light runners.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

Running red lights is chronic in my area. It has continually gotten worse over the past 5 years. I happen to believe that it is a by-product of alternate direction traffic signals; where north/south first gets a turn arrow, then the straight lanes proceed, then the east/west does the same.  Not saying it's justified, but since everydamnbody is in such a fking hurry, they choose to run a light rather than face the wait. 

Roundabouts, at least in our area, are not the answer unfortunately, since the vast majority of drivers are completely befuddled about how to maneuver through them. image.png.021916f2318f587f14dc845a82fc57e1.png

• Like 1
  • LOL 6
7 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Roundabouts, at least in our area, are not the answer unfortunately, since the vast majority of drivers are completely befuddled about how to maneuver through them. 

The closest I have come to death recently was driving with my Dad through a roundabout.  He would never listen to me where driving is concerned anyway but I do know how roundabouts work and he does not.  Which was made abundantly clear when we crossed right in front of an oncoming - perfect right to be there - car.  The other driver was pretty forebearing all things considered.  I guess he saw Dad's white hair and my horrified expression and he just kept driving without honking or making a one finger salute.  Sigh.  I hate roundabouts...and driving with my Dad.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 1
  • Wink 1
1 hour ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Roundabouts, at least in our area, are not the answer unfortunately, since the vast majority of drivers are completely befuddled about how to maneuver through them. 

We have three newish roundabouts on the street where I work, and it was comedy gold the day they opened.  No one could figure them out, and some people tried to go around them in the wrong direction.  We don't get that so much anymore, but we do still get the ones who treat the roundabout as a four-way stop.  Drives me nuts.

• Like 4
15 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

What is with this???  Are they lonesome? No matter where I am, if I park away from the rest of the pack, when I return a car/van/truck will be snuggled up right next to my car. 

LOL, "snuggled up", no truer description!! Baffles me, you have an entire parking lot but that spot right next to my truck is where you need to be? 

On the opposite side of this, I have watched people vie for spots closest* to the building to the point where there is a screaming match. Good grief people, is it really worth saving a few extra steps to get your blood pressure through the roof?

*I am not referring to handicap spots or people who may have difficulty walking. These are able bodied folks who apparently only want to walk a certain number of steps......

15 hours ago, HissyFit said:

If I caused you to honk, I apologize, but I was not texting or dawdling.

Not at all, I have only tapped my horn at people who I can see have their head down or turned to talk to their passenger. I too wait a beat because I witnessed a near miss several years ago. I am only referring to the ones where I can count to 5 and their brake lights are still on. 

1 hour ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

IMHO, if roundabouts were as common as stop lights I think they would be easier for everyone to understand. There will always be those entitled folks who will disobey/ignore/pay no attention to what they SHOULD do, because to them the rules don't apply. Roundabouts also keep the flow of traffic pretty even, again, IMO, because how many times have you been stuck at a red light with no one coming? Or trying to turn left but keep missing the opportunity because of oncoming traffic and the light turning again? Left turns in general are so dangerous, again because folks run red lights, don't pay attention or just feel entitled. 

I used to have to drive through 4-way stop every day, if you want to take your life in your own hands I highly recommend. Talk about a free-for-all! 

• Like 4

Why is it that no one who makes videos about drawing faces EVER shows how to do the head tipping toward the viewer? You want to know how to do chins, you're covered. But try to find one that shows face in profile with top of head? You're fucked. I can't get it right and it's driving me crazy. Even the movable Loomis and Planar heads don't really help because they don't show things like what the nose should look like or how to do the hairline as it comes around the head. And looking for Google images is hopeless. I have no problem changing proportions on any other angle, just this one. So my pet peeve is my inability to get it right.

• Hugs 1
  • Useful 1

Baffles me, you have an entire parking lot but that spot right next to my truck is where you need to be? 

Actually, I do that, especially in the winter where the ground is covered in snow and ice around here and I can't see the lines that delineate the parking spots. So, I think to myself, well, this person must have an idea where the spots actually are, so parking right beside them will give me the spot right beside them.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1

IMHO, if roundabouts were as common as stop lights I think they would be easier for everyone to understand.

I don't disagree.  If folks would pay attention to the signage, it would be a smoother commute, lol. Same folks who will sit at a 4-way stop until everyone within 1/4 mile has gone in front of them.

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
7 hours ago, KittyMom4 said:

On the opposite side of this, I have watched people vie for spots closest* to the building to the point where there is a screaming match. Good grief people, is it really worth saving a few extra steps to get your blood pressure through the roof?

Even worse, people have shot other people over a parking spot -- happened in Durham, NC on Black Friday one year when I lived there, and I've heard of it happening near where I live now, too.

• Mind Blown 2
  • Sad 2

Two fold tonight:

Bad parties. I went to a party with some people from my old church because I imagined it would be fun to visit with them and get to spend time with my family who were also coming. The company was nice, but the party was a total dud. Mediocre DJ playing the same tired songs or just bland selections, too few people dancing, and even worse karaoke. My mom said the party used to be more fun. Huh. I sure as hell hope so. 😂Oh and someone brought out the ice cream for dessert too soon so it was a soupy, melted mess by the time we got it. 

The second part is that I hate when people try to make me feel bad for being an introvert and getting tired at social gatherings. I was with my grandparents and my dad for about four hours socializing and sitting around, then the party with bad music was about four hours. I’ve always been more introverted and I hate that it’s seen as something I should be ashamed of, like my mom asking “What happened to you?” “Come on, smile!” “Why didn’t you come up with us during this song?” and people asking me why I won’t do karaoke. Like OK maybe I don’t want to badly sing along to Don’t Stop Believing. So what? Or maybe parties with lousy DJs aren’t appealing anymore. Being an introvert, four hours is about my limit for socializing, so doubling that just wore me down. It’s actually part why I hate Christmas so much. Everyone expects you to be “on” and happy and smiling for multiple days and gatherings and can’t understand why you get tired and God forbid you say you’re skipping a party… 

Sigh. Next year if anyone asks I’ll just say I have plans the night of the party. I guess I expected to have more fun and now I feel worn out. 

Edited by Cloud9Shopper
  • Like 5
  • Applause 3
On 2/10/2023 at 8:43 PM, Annber03 said:

My parents encountered roundabouts for the first time when we lived in Colorado over a decade ago. They HATED them. 

They're easy to hate when you're unfamiliar, and are unsure how to navigate them.  So different from anything we've had previously. Once you become used to them, you too will curse 4-way stops, or even long, drawn-out traffic signals.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 2

Today's peeve: I guess it's the lead up to Valentine's Day but I've been seeing a lot of selfies being posted on FB with the happy couple grinning for the camera in a picture obviously taken in a bathroom mirror.  Because nothing says romance like a picture with a toilet in the background I guess.

Edited by Elizabeth Anne
  • Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 17
  • Love 1