Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

(edited)

Well, the bank has decided the pandemic is over. They've removed the plexiglass at the concierge/lobby attendant's desk and the "six feet" stickers are gone from the floor.

Meanwhile, someone is hacking and coughing in the back of the bank.🥴

Edited by bilgistic

I had to go to work yesterday for the first time since September. Thankfully, we have to go just once a week for now. It wasn't so bad, but I was the only one wearing a mask. As I went to 3 different shops on my way home, I was still the only person wearing a mask everywhere. Sigh.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, JustHereForFood said:

It wasn't so bad, but I was the only one wearing a mask. As I went to 3 different shops on my way home, I was still the only person wearing a mask everywhere. Sigh.

I have found that in most places I go to it's about 50/50 now in terms of mask wearing.  What really surprises me is how many store employees have stopped wearing them.  I mean I do understand it must have been a pain to wear one for hours at a time but still, they are encountering dozens, if not hundreds, of people each day.  You'd think they'd be extra worried.  But apparently Covid is now over for many people and the rest of us are just being overly cautious.  

• Love 5
(edited)

Knowing what we know about transmission, catching COVID while going grocery shopping and not talking to anyone is pretty low, especially if you're vaxxed and boosted.

I still wear a mask but I'm choosing to not judge people for not wearing masks while doing low risk activities (open space, not talking) which is part of the CDC guidance.

Edited by theredhead77
On 5/9/2022 at 1:33 PM, peacheslatour said:

Box wine! I can never get the spigot to turn on a new box. I used a wrench and it crushed the plastic spigot but at least it turned!

I had to search to find your post only because I opened a new box of wine tonight.  What I do is punch out the circle  and pull out the stabilizer, then turn the box upside down so all the wine flows away from the spigot. Then the spigot is easy to pull out and put to position. Then pull  down the cardboard stabilizer and put in place remove metal seal and there you go!

• Useful 1
(edited)
16 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

I still wear a mask but I'm choosing to not judge people for not wearing masks while doing low risk activities (open space, not talking) which is part of the CDC guidance.

Here there are still some places where you must wear masks and in others it's at the discretion of the owner.  

But with regard to the judging what has been nice to see is that people just accept masks or no masks, if there have been any incidents of people being challenged or someone being abusive (either to the masked or unmasked) it hasn't made the news.  Which is the way it should be and hopefully will remain like that going forward.

Edited by SusanM
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, SusanM said:

But with regard to the judging what has been nice to see is that people just accept masks or no masks, if there have been any incidents of people being challenged or someone being abusive (either to the masked or unmasked) it hasn't made the news.  Which is the way it should be and hopefully will remain like that going forward.

This is the way it should be, no one should be judged or shamed for either choice. I no longer mask and have no issues with those that still choose to. 

• Love 2
23 hours ago, bilgistic said:

Well, the bank has decided the pandemic is over. They've removed the plexiglass at the concierge/lobby attendant's desk and the "six feet" stickers are gone from the floor.

Meanwhile, someone is hacking and coughing in the back of the bank.🥴

Peeve of mine:  The newscasters in CT have suddenly decided that it's OK to sit maskless within 2 feet of each other at the news desk while reporting on the ever increasing positivity rate in the state, which today has inched up past 13%. Then they tell us the CDC is again recommending masks in public places here as they spew breath particles at each other.

5 hours ago, SusanM said:

Here there are still some places where you must wear masks and in others it's at the discretion of the owner.  

That's because there are few mask mandates left anywhere in this country anymore, and it's by far the supporters of no masks that challenge being told they have to wear them.  Meanwhile those that are pro-mask don't tend to challenge others when mask mandates are rolled back and most people around them are not wearing masks, even if they don't approve and it makes them feel unsafe.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, BexKeps said:

This is the way it should be, no one should be judged or shamed for either choice. I no longer mask and have no issues with those that still choose to. 

I don't understand people who don't wear masks & feel like it's ok for them to literally attack people who do. Why? If I want to wear a mask, & they don't, why does that apparently offend them? Definite peeve of mine.

• Love 23
8 minutes ago, GaT said:

I don't understand people who don't wear masks & feel like it's ok for them to literally attack people who do. Why? If I want to wear a mask, & they don't, why does that apparently offend them? Definite peeve of mine.

Mine too.

• Love 10
5 hours ago, BexKeps said:

This, 100%.  Still required in medical buildings here, but that's it.  For now.

• Love 1

My pet peeve: apps that were working fine yesterday and suddenly decide to stop working properly today. Merlin (bird ID app) was fantastic and then stopped showing the birds or playing the recordings back today. I uninstalled and reinstalled 3 times and it's still not working.

On 4/22/2022 at 11:08 PM, Gramto6 said:

I have somehow "lost" my little blue rimmed Chinese  bowl for sauces...it just "disappeared" a couple of months ago, No idea where it went, wish I could find it...

Quoting myself,,, I have pretty much ensured my little bowl will show up soon as I just ordered a new set of 4 from Amazon. LOL

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
On 5/2/2022 at 10:47 PM, ECM1231 said:

Well, I've been debating on whether or not to express my pet peeve, b/c it may seem trivial to some, but I really, really dislike having to bag my own groceries at the supermarket. I should preface that by saying that I don't mind HELPING to bag my groceries, b/c I do tend to like to bag similar items together, but the cashier rings them up and just stands there.

Quoting myself because I found out something interesting. On my next shopping trip the cashier again just stood there. I went to speak to the store manager. He immediately asked me who was my cashier. I told him I didn't want to get any employees in trouble. He told me that they are required to follow company policy and employees may only bag using the store's own brown bags, which cost a nickel and not a quarter. It's because of COVID that they can't touch a customer's own bags. I guess it makes sense but I wish they would have had signage telling us this. And whether it's a quarter or a nickel, their brown bags still suck and rip almost immediately. Plus, I rather like doing my part for the environment.

I guess I should just suck it up. 

3 hours ago, ECM1231 said:

Quoting myself because I found out something interesting. On my next shopping trip the cashier again just stood there. I went to speak to the store manager. He immediately asked me who was my cashier. I told him I didn't want to get any employees in trouble. He told me that they are required to follow company policy and employees may only bag using the store's own brown bags, which cost a nickel and not a quarter. It's because of COVID that they can't touch a customer's own bags. I guess it makes sense but I wish they would have had signage telling us this. And whether it's a quarter or a nickel, their brown bags still suck and rip almost immediately. Plus, I rather like doing my part for the environment.

I guess I should just suck it up. 

In my state they haved banned bags altogether. 

I had a grocery delivery and it came in beautiful new tote bags.  A ton of them.  I don't know what they will do about deliveries in the future, as they surely cant keep that up.

• Love 1
(edited)

On my lunch break, I went to Trader Joe's, which I haven't been to since the first year(?) of the pandemic. Only about 25% of the customers were masked, but that's far higher than I see on the side of the county where I live. I had my own bags and they used them. When I went in 2020 or 2021--what even is time anymore--they wouldn't use them but bagged in their paper bags. They now have fancy plastic shopping bags with handles, and I'm kind of bummed I didn't get one.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 2

In spring of 2020, when we were still learning how the virus did and did not spread, stores stopped letting customers bring their own bags, but that was very short-lived; they switched to requiring you to bag your own groceries if you brought in your own bag.  That lasted several months, I think, but it's been back to baggers/checkers doing it for quite some time now (unless the customer wants to do it, of course).

• Love 2
(edited)

I'm still trying to remember to take in my cloth bags at the supermarkets, especially Wegmans since they use slippery brown paper bags. I loathe those bags. No handles and you can easily get a paper cut handling them🤬. Harris Teeter & Safeway still use plastic bags. But if I forget my tote bags, I recycle the plastic bags.    

Edited by annzeepark914
57 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

I'm still trying to remember to take in my cloth bags at the supermarkets, especially Wegmans since they use slippery brown paper bags. I loathe those bags. No handles and you can easily get a paper cut handling them🤬. Harris Teeter & Safeway still use plastic bags. But if I forget my bags, I recycle them.    

I bought canvas tote bags years and years ago. We couldn't use them in 2020 -21 but now they are handing out paper bags again. We have so many of our own bags we never need them. I do miss plastic grocery bags just because they're useful for cleaning the cat box. We've been using the plastic bags that come with our newspaper but they are sub optimal.

• Love 2

I hate the idea that as a single woman, people in my real life tell me that I need to give a chance to every single potentially interested guy that crosses my path, and if I don’t, then I’ll never meet anybody. Even if they give off weird vibes they just have to have a “chance” and shame on me for not giving it. I’ve even been somewhat shamed for not wanting a second date with a guy who trashed his ex on the first date. (He’d just ended an engagement; I don’t think he was over it.) 

I got a Facebook friend request from a guy whose name I recognized from my old church. It’s entirely possible we were FB friends at one point and I deleted him for giving off bad vibes, but it’s been a few years so I don’t really remember. Maybe I turned down a request at the time. Anyway, it turns out that he was also at my friend’s wedding last weekend. I didn’t notice him there and he didn’t interact with me in any way (saying hello, seeing me on the dance floor, making small talk, etc.) My friend must have encouraged him to add me, though, because after I deleted the request, she texted me saying her friend thought I was cool and pretty and wanted to add me.

I found it creepy that he wanted to be my Facebook friend without any prior interaction whatsoever, so what happened when I expressed concern to a family member? Oh it’s OK, maybe he’s shy! But you can’t know who he is if you don’t talk to him! Well you won’t meet anyone with that attitude!

I’m sorry but I hate this idea that every available guy deserves something from me just because I’m single and they exist. If you want to go out with me or get to know me, cool. But don’t just refuse to talk to me or add me unsolicited when I have never spoken to you before and you didn’t send a message with your request. I’d rather be single than deal with guys like this LOL.

It does kind of suck, though, that I can’t catch guys who have manners and treat women well like my friends have. 

• Love 16
(edited)

I was on a flight from Detroit to Seattle earlier today, and my seat neighbor was not only unmasked but also coughing and sneezing the entire flight without even attempting to cover his mouth. I was so disgusted by that but didn't say anything because I didn't want to make the situation worse. This was a man in his late 30s or early 40s, so if he hasn't learned by now how to cough/sneeze around other people, there's probably nothing I could have done to change that. I mean, that would have been very inconsiderate even before the pandemic, right? Or am I overreacting?

Edited by chocolatine
1 hour ago, chocolatine said:

I was on a flight from Detroit to Seattle earlier today, and my seat neighbor was not only unmasked but also coughing and sneezing the entire flight without even attempting to cover his mouth. I was so disgusted by that but didn't say anything because I didn't want to make the situation worse. This was a man in his late 30s or early 40s, so if he hasn't learned by now how to cough/sneeze around other people, there's probably nothing I could have done to change that. I mean, that would have been very inconsiderate even before the pandemic, right? Or am I overreacting?

No not overreacting at all. Common courtesy says cover your mouth and nose when you sneeze or cough. Especially in these days of Covid. That guy was an inconsiderate pig!

• Love 9
8 hours ago, chocolatine said:

The only people that I give any slack to about open-mouth coughing/sneezing are the very elderly, and even then it's with a grumble.  Same with doing so in their hand.  For a person in their 30's or 40's to be doing so indicates that A) they're arrogant assholes, or B) they were raised by wolves. 

• Love 5
35 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

The only people that I give any slack to about open-mouth coughing/sneezing are the very elderly, and even then it's with a grumble.  Same with doing so in their hand.  For a person in their 30's or 40's to be doing so indicates that A) they're arrogant assholes, or B) they were raised by wolves. 

He was pretty well dressed and seemed to be a on a business trip, so I think A is the most likely scenario.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, chocolatine said:

I hope you are okay. A couple of my colleagues flew back from a conference on Thursday and one of them tested positive over the weekend. Hopefully the guy next to you had allergies. 

• Love 6
1 minute ago, MargeGunderson said:

I hope you are okay. A couple of my colleagues flew back from a conference on Thursday and one of them tested positive over the weekend. Hopefully the guy next to you had allergies. 

Thank you! I was wearing a mask (I know it doesn't really protect me though, just other people from me), plus I got my booster shot two months ago, so I hope I still have strong immunity. Feeling good so far this morning, but I know symptoms can develop after a couple of days. I managed to get through two years without getting sick, so it would be really annoying if I got sick because of that jerk.

• Love 6
36 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

Thank you! I was wearing a mask (I know it doesn't really protect me though, just other people from me), plus I got my booster shot two months ago, so I hope I still have strong immunity. Feeling good so far this morning, but I know symptoms can develop after a couple of days. I managed to get through two years without getting sick, so it would be really annoying if I got sick because of that jerk.

Sorry that you (and the rest of us) are still being exposed to such inconsiderate idiots, and I hope you end up being fine. But the bolded sentence in your post isn't correct. Masks do protect the wearer as well as those around the wearer. Here's just one article of many you can find that explains this. So even though jerkface not wearing one was inexcusably selfish, you did yourself a favor by wearing yours.

• Love 11
14 hours ago, chocolatine said:

No not at all. Inconsiderate and ignorant describes him.

• Love 5
On 5/16/2022 at 11:26 AM, Mondrianyone said:

Sorry that you (and the rest of us) are still being exposed to such inconsiderate idiots, and I hope you end up being fine. But the bolded sentence in your post isn't correct. Masks do protect the wearer as well as those around the wearer. Here's just one article of many you can find that explains this. So even though jerkface not wearing one was inexcusably selfish, you did yourself a favor by wearing yours.

Early in the pandemic they were saying that wearing a mask mostly protected others, which never made sense. Plus it encouraged a bunch of selfish people to protest wearing masks. Then I think this misinformation persisted. 

• Love 7
On 4/20/2022 at 4:55 PM, Mondrianyone said:

Lemme link you to a post of mine from about a month ago detailing an experiment that changed my life. I just repeated it with another batch of avocados, and it worked like a charm again. (Post is about 2/3 of the way down the page--I don't know if it's possible to link to a specific post.)

I seen that hack before and also if you make guacamole you can also put water on because water air tight and when you want to eat just pour the water off.

• Useful 4
7 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Early in the pandemic they were saying that wearing a mask mostly protected others, which never made sense.

I know it didn't, from the standpoint of simple physics--it was like saying, "You can't walk through this brick wall in one direction, but you can in the other"--and I pushed back against it from the start. If people want to be dicks, they can always find an excuse.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

I know it didn't, from the standpoint of simple physics--it was like saying, "You can't walk through this brick wall in one direction, but you can in the other"--and I pushed back against it from the start. If people want to be dicks, they can always find an excuse.

The Stargate works like that! But other than that, I feel like I'm constantly the exasperated  woman in this meme/commercial.

image.png.5bc0251ca9f67920706c42f7b05d0c9c.png

• Love 5
(edited)
On 5/11/2022 at 1:56 PM, EtheltoTillie said:

I have acquired various vintage Corning ware items from yard sales very cheaply.  It's expensive to get them on Ebay because the shipping is high for these heavy items.  Of course yard sale picking is a waiting game.  You have to play the long game.  

@EtheltoTillie, you used to have another name, right? Was it you who, a while back, helped me identify a non-Pyrex, but Pyrex-like, bowl that I'd been lucky enough to find for $3 at my local Goodwill?

I bought canvas tote bags years and years ago. We couldn't use them in 2020 -21 but now they are handing out paper bags again. We have so many of our own bags we never need them. I do miss plastic grocery bags just because they're useful for cleaning the cat box. We've been using the plastic bags that come with our newspaper but they are sub optimal.

@peacheslatour, although our litter here is flushable (or so it says; no problems...yet), I usually keep a package of paper lunch bags for the times that I need to scoop and throw out.

Early in the pandemic they were saying that wearing a mask mostly protected others, which never made sense. Plus it encouraged a bunch of selfish people to protest wearing masks. Then I think this misinformation persisted. 

I have never understood how the protection is supposedly one-way only? (And the mistake back then was saying it was for other people's benefit; maybe the selfish would have complied more if they had only their own health in mind).

I have a wedding tomorrow and I feel nervous. Part of it is outside, so that's nice, and I have no plans to get all up close with anyone but my own BF. On the rother hand, it will be nice to do something out of the ordinary. I am double-boosted, so hopefully that means something?

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 3
11 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

@EtheltoTillie, you used to have another name, right? Was it you who, a while back, helped me identify a non-Pyrex, but Pyrex-like, bowl that I'd been lucky enough to find for $3 at my local Goodwill?

@peacheslatour, although our litter here is flushable (or so it says; no problems...yet), I usually keep a package of paper lunch bags for the times that I need to scoop and throw out.

Yes, Tattle, I used to be GussieK.  But if you searched for it, you wouldn't find it as the system changes all entries to the new name.  

• Useful 3
  • Love 1

@PEACHESLATOUR, although our litter here is flushable (or so it says; no problems...yet), I usually keep a package of paper lunch bags for the times that I need to scoop and throw out.

That sounds great! My DH has a Kirkland brand from Costco that he is devoted to. What brand of flushable litter do you use?

On 5/13/2022 at 5:43 PM, peacheslatour said:

I do miss plastic grocery bags just because they're useful for cleaning the cat box. We've been using the plastic bags that come with our newspaper but they are sub optimal.

I have a Litter Genie. It's awesome.

• Useful 2
(edited)

I use World's Best (the red bag). It is truly the cleanest litter I have ever dealt with, both in terms of dust (practically none, except a little when I empty the bag into a plastic bucket-bin thing) and in terms of scooping, meaning that everything comes up neatly and doesn't tend to leave the surrounding area "tainted" -- looks like a new batch of litter. Also, it's pretty good about containing smell (though because I work at home now, I am easily able to get rid of everything immediately, so I don't deal with that too much anyway). Plus it's not made with anything that may affect the cats' health.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, TattleTeeny said:

I use World's Best (the red bag).

I use it as well and have been very satisfied with its performance. My two kitties have always shared a box and no one has ever smelled that I have cats. 

Peeve: I planted 11 zucchini plants. This morning I was chuffed today to see I had 6 blooms. 
No more. My neighbor came over and picked them all for his dinner tonight 🤬

(edited)
9 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

WHAT?! Why would he do that?!

He likes the blooms breaded and fried. 

Last year I planted 4 which is enough for single me. He kept swiping my blooms o I only got about 4 of them. Yes, I have spoken to him about this. That’s why I planted 11. He thinks if they aren’t picked just after opening that they don’t taste as good. There will be another chat tonight 🤬 as I will be calling him and telling him that he’s had his meal now leave them alone. 

Edited by Mindthinkr
  • Love 5
11 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

He really just needs to plant his own. 

I am just dumbfounded that a neighbor would trespass on your property & steal from your garden (even if it's a patio garden, makes no difference). What is wrong with people today? Where did they get the idea that they can do whatever they want?

• Love 8
(edited)
37 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

I am just dumbfounded that a neighbor would trespass on your property & steal from your garden (even if it's a patio garden, makes no difference). What is wrong with people today? Where did they get the idea that they can do whatever they want?

Agreed. The first time is a warning. The second time I'd file trespassing charges (and I am a 'don't call the police unless I am witnessing an active violent crime or a horrible accident person').

Edited by theredhead77
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

Peeve: I planted 11 zucchini plants. This morning I was chuffed today to see I had 6 blooms. 
No more. My neighbor came over and picked them all for his dinner tonight

That's OK.  Now you get his first born child and you can lock her up in a tower and climb up her hair to go see her.  Zucchini, rhubarb, I'm pretty sure the rules are the same.

• LOL 7
  • Love 1

To continue the garden theme, I’m annoyed at the bunnies who chowed down on my 2 new Oriental Poppy plants. I bought one years ago and have been on the outlook ever since to buy 2 more. One of my neighbors brought me one from a nursery I didn’t know about, and then I went last weekend and bought another. The stupid rabbits chomped both plants, even after I put down deer and rabbit repellant. Yesterday I put mesh covers over both to protect them until they get bigger. Weird that they didn’t bother the one I already had at all.

• Love 1
34 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

To continue the garden theme, I’m annoyed at the bunnies who chowed down on my 2 new Oriental Poppy plants. I bought one years ago and have been on the outlook ever since to buy 2 more. One of my neighbors brought me one from a nursery I didn’t know about, and then I went last weekend and bought another. The stupid rabbits chomped both plants, even after I put down deer and rabbit repellant. Yesterday I put mesh covers over both to protect them until they get bigger. Weird that they didn’t bother the one I already had at all.

Rabbits are a blight in my garden and so are squirrels. I must have planted thousands of tulip bulbs in my yard in the forty odd years I've lived here and they get them every time unless I put screens all over the place.

• Love 2
(edited)
4 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

No more. My neighbor came over and picked them all for his dinner tonight 🤬

This is that jerk ex-boyfriend, right, not some random neighbor?!  That's totally inappropriate of him to do without asking, of course, but it would be utterly wild if someone with whom you have no relationship other than being neighbors trespassed and stole vegetables.

Although, now that I remember some rants posted to Nextdoor, that does happen here sometimes.

Edited by Bastet
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3