Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,
  • Start Topic

When I online dated, it was baffling to me how many men put on their profiles how well-traveled, athletic and non-homebodied they were (and how much they HATED people with "no interests and who liked to pursue quiet things/staying home"). Really?? EVERY GUY is out running marathons? How come you aren't meeting your dream woman there, then?

I did get my fair share of responses saying how refreshing my profile was because I didn't say I hung off the side of a mountain every weekend. Most of them were my dad's age, though.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 3

Well yes there's taking it too far either direction. People do that about everything though. Like those people who say the do all their grocery shopping at Aldis and spend like $30 wk in groceries. And then pause like "wow you are so much cleverer and well prioritized."

Why is it impossible to find just a comforter?! I just want a comforter, I don't want a bed in a bag with sheets and pillow shams and I don't want 15 useless, tiny decorative pillows. They aren't out there and it's driving me crazy.

Why in the hell don't these places sell just a comforter?!

My bed is a queen but I need a king size comforter for it so buying a set that included King size sheets is a waste because I can't use the sheets. I also hate decorative pillows all over the bed so I don't need the set with 9 pillows either.

I just don't understand why this is so hard. I've been to 4 different stores in the past few days and have been searching online for 2 weeks.

This is ridiculous.

• Love 2

You probably would diss theirs if they were a loud mouthed smoker who's hobby was drinking at dive bars and rallies. You probably wouldn't date them or hang out.

There's nothing wrong with being boring but many people do find it more insulting or worse than a sarcastic asshole or weirdo. I prefer those types and extremes. More amusing.

Petunia,

To each their own. However; I have to admit that when I was younger (in my 20's), I thought the 'non boring' types were more amusing because they were different from me. What  eventually happened was that , after getting to know a  good number  of  them along with a few scorches, I came to the conclusion that many of them were actually  less interesting to know than  the 'non cool' types. Time will tell if that happens by middle age for you,too.   

• Love 1

Why is it impossible to find just a comforter?! I just want a comforter, I don't want a bed in a bag with sheets and pillow shams and I don't want 15 useless, tiny decorative pillows. They aren't out there and it's driving me crazy.

My bed is a queen but I need a king size comforter for it so buying a set that included King size sheets is a waste because I can't use the sheets. I also hate decorative pillows all over the bed so I don't need the set with 9 pillows either.

I just don't understand why this is so hard. I've been to 4 different stores in the past few days and have been searching online for 2 weeks.

This is ridiculous.

I went to Bed Bath & Beyond and searched comforters, sorted low price to high, and came up with.....3 choices.  You're right, there's something very wrong here.  

Target has some options.

Edited by harrie

All I'm seeing are sets. I checked 2 different Target stores in my area and they had nothing but sets.

It's ridiculous, I never thought it would be this damn hard to find a comforter. I'm also kind of picky about my bedding, I'm specifically looking for a patchwork design this time. We're painting the bedroom next weekend and I was hoping to have my bedding bought by the time we were done. I have my new curtains and some new decorations I bought and I have my eye on these really cute nightstands, but still no bedding.

I have my mom's favorite chair in my bedroom, it's an ugly swivel rocker. I'm about halfway done making a slipcover for it, it's a print with burgandys and dark brown, I really want a comforter to match. I think I'll just have to break down and buy the bed in a bag thing. Maybe I can find somebody with a king bed who I can give the sheets to.

Thanks for your help harrie.

• Love 1

Did you check overstock.com?  I do see a lot more listings for bedspread sets than just for bedspreads, but there are some of the latter (and some of the sets are just the bedspread and two shams).

• Love 1

I haven't checked there yet Bastet. Thanks for the suggestion.

Has anybody ever painted an accent wall in their house? We're doing the bedroom in a cream color and I'm thinking of doing the wall across from the bed in a dark burgandy. The bedroom is a huge loft type room that spans the entire length of the house and the stairs come up in the middle of the room so it's big enough that a dark color won't make it seem closed in. I'm just not sure how it will look, and since it's a dark color it wouldn't be as simple as just painting over it if I don't like it, it would have to be printed and need at least 2 coats of paint over it.

I just wondered if any of you have done an accent wall and if you were happy with it. I've only ever painted a room one color so I'm a little nervous about doing it.

Edited by Maharincess

I've never done one in my house, because I think accent walls look good in rooms where the main paint color is fairly neutral, and I don't use neutral colors, but we did one in my best friend's bedroom.  The other walls are a gold-ish cream color and then the wall the bed sits up against is a deep red (the colors come from her comforter).  She's happy with it.

I think you should go for it.  Yes, it's more work painting over a dark color if you don't like it, but it's only one wall instead of all of them. 

My dark sense of humor makes me think that I'd wake up to a red (whatvever hue of it) wall thinking I was in the elevator scene in The Shining.

Blues and violets and even greens are good for bedrooms. Greens can be too wakeful, though. Red is theoretically way too energizing for sleep.

I have boring cream everywhere rental apartment walls. I miss my almost-periwinkle walls bedroom walls from my condo.

• Love 1

I hate the color green. Green and yellow are my least favorite. I like black and purple but those don't look very good in a wall.

I'm doing the bedroom off the fabric I bought for the slipcover. I love the colors in the fabric. It has burgandy with some browns and navy, it's really pretty. I've had similar colors in my room before and like them.

I know it's probably stupid to change an entire room based on a piece of fabric but I was planning to change it anyway and really love these colors together. I'm going back tomorrow to get some more of the fabric, I have already bought curtains for the bedroom but I'm taking those back and making curtains from the fabric. I just fell in love with the colors and pattern. I already have a fee burgandy/maroon things in the room so I'm ahead of the game.

I usually hate white walls. It's hard to explain my bedroom, I wish I could post pictures. It's basically all slanted ceiling and the pitch is 11 feet high. There is a lot of ceiling, way too much for a bolder color on all the walls.

I've decided to do the accent wall, I googled and looked at some in the same colors and I liked the look. If I end up hating it, I can always change it.

I love to paint. I love the instant gratification that comes with painting and I'm the spackle queen so I will do as much as I physically can and my son and husband will do the rest.

I'm rambling again, can you tell my husband is back on the road? Lol.

I hope you all had a great day.

Edited by Maharincess
  • Love 1

I used to dislike green and yellow. I love blue. Blue walls in any room make me happy. Recently I've come around to liking green , but only if it's on the blue side of green, not the yellowish greens. I love teal and turquoise. But not chartreuse, lime, avocado.

I still hate yellow, not crazy about orange either. But I love all shades of blue.

Maharincess, getting a color scheme from fabric sounds logical to me. If the colors make you happy, then go for it. And I like accent walls, especially in a larger room.

I hear you guys on the "why don't you like to go out?" thing.

I get it and realize it's not everyone's cup of tea to go out and party; staying in and enjoying solitude is highly underrated.

But I will say that this understanding needs to be extended on either end of the spectrum.

Take my husband and me: we're both social butterflies and drink like fish and don't have kids. Yet we don't get out nearly as much as we used to---nowadays we mainly enjoy traveling, hosting gatherings at home and going out to eat at fine local eateries.

Nevertheless, I've had a few friends/family members make unsolicited comments about our lifestyle and it just kinda irks me.

How we "waste" money and we don't save enough and that our lifestyle is "frivolous" and unhealthy...judgemental junk like that.

Really ticks me off, because guess what?

We *all* have activities we enjoy doing that usually takes up time/energy/money and no one has the right to judge your own hobbies as being wrong or unworthy unless they're illegal and/or hurting others!

I had a ((now former)) friend comment on how she was tired of seeing booze/party pics of us on our Facebook feed because it was "fake" and excessive. To which I felt like saying to her that I was sick of HER stupid pics of her children and pets and shitty-looking healthy food pics.

My mom always makes comments to me that our travels/going out isn't responsible and that we should save our money and stay home more. I make decent dough in a career I love, pay my bills, and I'm essentially saving myself at least half-a-million dollars by deciding not to procreate, so what's the problem?

I just wish more people had a live and let live understanding of others. We all like different things and have a variety of different hobbies, so why do some folks feel the need to so cruelly disrespect others' hobbies and preferences??

Like I just Unfriended some dick on Facebook who had the nerve to post, "No one gives a shit about your stupid food posts, so please do me a favor and Unfriend me if you post that here."

To which I replied before I gladly hit the Unfriend button, "I never gave a shit about your endless posts about your kids, your boat or your idiotic political rants, but I liked them anyway just to be polite and because you Friended me here first. Nice to know it took a moronic status like this to make me realize that I don't wanna even pretend to be your 'Friend' here anymore."

Ugh...some people...

Edited by Sun-Bun
  • Love 5

Yes!! I'm glad that you told him that before you unfriended, I applaud you Sun-Bun!

I hate people like that so I'm happy you told him off.

Sorry for talking about painting in Pet Peeves, somehow I thought I was in Chit-Chat.

I hear you guys on the "why don't you like to go out?" thing.

I get it and realize it's not everyone's cup of tea to go out and party; staying in and enjoying solitude is highly underrated.

But I will say that this understanding needs to be extended on either end of the spectrum.

Take my husband and me: we're both social butterflies and drink like fish and don't have kids. Yet we don't get out nearly as much as we used to---nowadays we mainly enjoy traveling, hosting gatherings at home and going out to eat at fine local eateries.

Nevertheless, I've had a few friends/family members make unsolicited comments about our lifestyle and it just kinda irks me.

How we "waste" money and we don't save enough and that our lifestyle is "frivolous" and unhealthy...judgemental junk like that.

Really ticks me off, because guess what?

We *all* have activities we enjoy doing that usually takes up time/energy/money and no one has the right to judge your own hobbies as being wrong or unworthy unless they're illegal and/or hurting others!

I had a ((now former)) friend comment on how she was tired of seeing booze/party pics of us on our Facebook feed because it was "fake" and excessive. To which I felt like saying to her that I was sick of HER stupid pics of her children and pets and shitty-looking healthy food pics.

My mom always makes comments to me that our travels/going out isn't responsible and that we should save our money and stay home more. I make decent dough in a career I love, pay my bills, and I'm essentially saving myself at least half-a-million dollars by deciding not to procreate, so what's the problem?

I just wish more people had a live and let live understanding of others. We all like different things and have a variety of different hobbies, so why do some folks feel the need to so cruelly disrespect others' hobbies and preferences??

Like I just Unfriended some dick on Facebook who had the nerve to post, "No one gives a shit about your stupid food posts, so please do me a favor and Unfriend me if you post that here."

To which I replied before I gladly hit the Unfriend button, "I never gave a shit about your endless posts about your kids, your boat or your idiotic political rants, but I liked them anyway just to be polite and because you Friended me here first. Nice to know it took a moronic status like this to make me realize that I don't wanna even pretend to be your 'Friend' here anymore."

Ugh...some people...

Agreed. I normally hate the "you're just jealous" retort because it's unoriginal and childish, but you know what? I truly believe those people are just jealous. I for one think it's wonderful that you travel and see the world (or, at the very least, different parts of the country). Yes, traveling can be a pain, but the memories and experience are priceless.

Petunia,

To each their own. However; I have to admit that when I was younger (in my 20's), I thought the 'non boring' types were more amusing because they were different from me. What  eventually happened was that , after getting to know a  good number  of  them along with a few scorches, I came to the conclusion that many of them were actually  less interesting to know than  the 'non cool' types. Time will tell if that happens by middle age for you,too.   

This is not a specific response to that post but more to all the posts that came before and that I didn't think of quoting : My thinking now is that you can pretty much divide people into "cats" and "dogs". Of course, it's not black and white. For instance, I'm a very social "cat", i.e. I love interacting with other people but I need to be alone to recharge my batteries. Now, I seem to attract dog people, both as friends and lovers, and after a while we get tired of each other, because they think something is wrong in me that I cannot convert to being a full-time dog, and I get tired me what I *should* do . Friends, previous lovers : I was never a dog, what you liked in me was the challenge, please let me go back to being a cat!

Friends and lovers who are also cats, on the other hand: it may start slowly, and they may be wary of my outgoing tendencies at first, but boy, do we get the distance!

Has anybody ever painted an accent wall in their house? We're doing the bedroom in a cream color and I'm thinking of doing the wall across from the bed in a dark burgandy. The bedroom is a huge loft type room that spans the entire length of the house and the stairs come up in the middle of the room so it's big enough that a dark color won't make it seem closed in. I'm just not sure how it will look, and since it's a dark color it wouldn't be as simple as just painting over it if I don't like it, it would have to be printed and need at least 2 coats of paint over it.

I just wondered if any of you have done an accent wall and if you were happy with it. I've only ever painted a room one color so I'm a little nervous about doing it.

Painted two accent walls, one in the dining room, one in my teenage son's bedroom. All the rest was white with a hint a purple, with pure white ceilings, and these two were dark red (i.e. what I call "Chinese red", think the color of Chinese lacker). I love it, it's great both in the dining room and in my son's room, where the wall is partly covered by open shelves, in his room it's all black and white so that touch of color on the side of the bed is a welcome addition, I think. 

I don't mind going out but I hate entertaining at my house, HATE it!

I hate them in my space, I hate them touching my stuff, I hate them getting in the dog's space and I hate them asking what's behind the closed door.  It's two bedroom ranch, you know damn well that's my bedroom and you know damn well why the bedroom door is closed, fuck off!

• Love 7

Why are some others insecure I don't share their tastes even though I don't dis theirs? I don't get it.

Because they are insecure and making petty comments makes them feel a smidge better about themselves.  Having been a person who was out at least 5-6x per week for years (in my early to mid 20s), it can be a shallow existence and some people feel self conscious to be classified as such.  I, and my cohorts from the time, were okay with being shallow - we were having fun.  But we didn't expect to sustain that lifestyle indefinitely - we expected to one day grow up.  And eventually being on the go all the time lost the appeal.

I wonder if birth order matters in this?  Most of us were the youngest in larger families so we never had the same expectations placed on us as the older ones did, especially first borns.

Try Vermont Country Store, LL Bean and Lands End.  Or, my favorite, a duvet.

Has anybody ever painted an accent wall in their house? We're doing the bedroom in a cream color and I'm thinking of doing the wall across from the bed in a dark burgandy.

I've done one before and was happy with it.  A darker color like burgundy would be more daunting to me, but that is just a matter of preference. 

<snip>

Ugh...some people...

Hmmm...I was beginning to suspect I was related to you, but my social butterfly brother and SIL do have kids (adults now).  It takes a lot of energy to be as social as you are, and if you both enjoy it, good for you!  I look at one my brother and his wife do in a single week - work, volunteer work, cooking, karate, house hold chores, get togethers, etc...and it is exhausting just for me to look at.  But they have a good time and are good people, they share their home and activities with other like minded people, ...I imagine if they had to spend a week living as I do, they would be bonkers!  But if anyone ever has an emergency?  They are the people you want on your side. 

And back in days of yore when I was out to a club or dive bar most nights, they were at home raising their children and living a lot leaner.  They are at a place financially where they are comfortable and can afford to spend their time and money on what others may call "frivolous".  I was doing that before - I can't nor shouldn't fault them for daring to live in a way that I no longer want to.

What's odd is that my older brothers used to be bewildered at what I found so interesting going out with my friends every night, are now the ones who are a lot more social and have encouraged me to join them at these functions (which I don't because I find crowds and loud places unpleasant now).

The first thing I do after a guest leaves my house is put the pillows back on the couch the way they SHOULD be.

I smile to myself when people observe that I don't get out much.  I did that plenty when I was a young'n.  I'm done now but boy, do I have some stories I could tell them!  Of course, they'll never think to ask.

But there's a downside:  I'll probably meet my great love because he is also home reading a book while his home fills with the scent of baking brownies from scratch.

• Love 1

My dark sense of humor makes me think that I'd wake up to a red (whatvever hue of it) wall thinking I was in the elevator scene in The Shining.

I had to have all the bedrooms painted in this house before we moved in (January).  The master bedroom was painted an unusual shade of red - and all four walls, not just an accent wall.  My brother and his son took great delight in discussing whether it was best described as "dried" or "congealed" blood.

• Love 1

I hate how "boring" has become the last acceptable insult and/or "constructive" criticism. I've had people blithely hint or outright say that I'm boring or no fun, whether it comes to what I do in my free time, what I do or don't do with my hair, or compared with someone else.

Let me state that I have no illusions about myself: I'm not an exciting person. At all. I'm shy, introverted, socially awkward, and reserved. Stupid things excite me, I'm a homebody, and I like being alone. But I won't lie, I'm getting really sick of jabs at my character. All right, so I'm boring, a Bert in a world full of Ernies, and I'm aware that the late, great Elaine Stritch said that "The worst thing you can be is boring".

Far be it from me to question Ms. Stritch, but... really? Being boring is the worst thing you can be? Worse than being abusive? Manipulative? Cruel? Homicidal? Genocidal? Really? The worst?

And another thing: I don't change my hair as often as others, if at all. Fine, that makes me boring, but fuck you, it's my hair. I'm cheap, I'm lazy, and it's too much trouble. I'm proud of my black hair, and I'm glad I don't look like everyone else. In fact, I happen to think un-highlighted brown/black/red hair is beautiful. Mind you, these are just my stupid opinions; you can do whatever you want with your hair, I don't give a crap, but don't tell me what to do with mine. I think it's wrong how society has conditioned us to think non-blonde hair is ugly (Abercrombie and Fitch used to have a popular shirt that read "I Had a Nightmare That I was a Brunette").

Boring? Ha. You sound like the kind of person I'd want to hang around. Except you like being alone, and, uh, so do I, so never mind. But in theory, you're like my long-lost twin! 

I don't mind going out but I hate entertaining at my house, HATE it!

I hate them in my space, I hate them touching my stuff, I hate them getting in the dog's space and I hate them asking what's behind the closed door.  It's two bedroom ranch, you know damn well that's my bedroom and you know damn well why the bedroom door is closed, fuck off!

Thanks for the laugh, bosawks. I will admit that there's something about closed doors at a person's house that makes me desperate to find out what's behind them: a secret child, a dead body, piles of money and jewelry, or simply a huge mess--which I would love to see since the rest of the house is so friggin' spotless. 

Edited by topanga
  • Love 1

I have mentioned this before but I'd take "boring" before another person condescendingly labels me "quirky"

Same here but 'quirky' beats being tagged as having a 'syndrome' . That tag seems to be tossed about like confetti nowadays.

• Love 1

It has a hand printed on each cup.

It lies around the house not picking up after itself.

It "forgets" to text you.

It sees how it fits on your friend but lies about it after it comes home all stretched out.

• Love 6

I had trouble finding an additional comforter a couple of years ago, but I'm less picky about them and came up with a solution that works for me: I bought a sleeping bag, one that's rated for camping in snow conditions. I just unzip it so that it lays flat & put it on the bed when the weather is cold. It's the warmest "comforter" I've ever used. And as an added bonus, I can use it as a sleeping bag if there's ever a need..

• Love 1

Judgmental people are way past a pet peeve for me. They fall into the very rare category of things I genuinely hate. Sometimes it comes from a place where I can tolerate it (let's say it's Dad, and he's just applying his own life lessons and feels that he's trying to protect me from things he wished he had done differently) and other times it's just somebody doing it because it makes them feel better about themselves. 

• Love 1

I hate that too, I hate that people think that their way of living is the only way somebody can be happy and fulfilled in their lives.

Why can't people just let people live how they want to live without judgment? I don't understand it, unless the way somebody else lives negatively affects your life, mind your own business!

I like my quiet, boring life in the woods, I don't judge people for wanting to live in the city and/or go out every night so why do people think it's OK to tell me my life is boring? I had somebody tell me they'd kill themselves if they lived my boring life.

Live and let live.

• Love 4

New peeve.  If you ask for my email address, please use the one I give you and not something you find via social media or some other account.  I have 4 email address: 1 for family, 1 for friends, 1 for junk (i.e. every website that asks you to register for info, including social media) and 1 from my cable company that I never use.  Twice now, I have been asked for my email and had that ignored and had someone say, oh I used what's on FB.  Ugh!  My FB one is even masked to be @facebook.com.  1) Why did you ask in the first place if you were just going to ignore me?  2) I know most people probably don't have that many email addresses, but when it's masked maybe that should clue you in that something is up.

Related but separate rant - FB managed to associate the account I never use and so these messages were going there and not even to my junk account.  It had the junk account listed as the primary and the never-used account as alternate.  I at least check my junk account semi-weekly for coupons and stuff, but I have no idea how that unused account got there.  I *know* I did not put it there.  I don't link it to anything, I don't get any email there except the monthly bill notification from the cable company.  Ugh.  I have checked all my security and profile settings.  I changed them and changed them back and changed my password.  FB is beginning to scare me.

• Love 2

I hate that too, I hate that people think that their way of living is the only way somebody can be happy and fulfilled in their lives.

Why can't people just let people live how they want to live without judgment? I don't understand it, unless the way somebody else lives negatively affects your life, mind your own business!

I like my quiet, boring life in the woods, I don't judge people for wanting to live in the city and/or go out every night so why do people think it's OK to tell me my life is boring? I had somebody tell me they'd kill themselves if they lived my boring life.

Live and let live.

People, by and large, are assholes. I've met a select few people in my life that I don't think are assholes. I know that's a "pessimistic" view of the world, but when you expect people to let you down, you aren't disappointed and/or surprised when they do.

I'm not that "nice" of a person. I'm courteous and respectful in general (but respect is EARNED), but if someone does something disrespectful or intolerant, I'm going to call them on it, and that's not very "nice". I don't suffer fools, and I quit caring what people thought about me in about 10th grade, if not before then.

• Love 5

Spent a fair amount of my life with a similar attitude.  Eventually decided it isn't worth the time and energy that I spent disliking these folks and I was spending more of my time thinking about the people I did not like as opposed to the people I did.  Under the right set of circumstances, even Mother Teresa could probably come off as a jerk; alternatively, Hitler might come off as a decent sort (clearly, not the same set of circumstances).  I may not be able to come up with scenarios that would yield these results, but I am sure they exist.

• Love 1

I have mentioned this before but I'd take "boring" before another person condescendingly labels me "quirky"

*nods head so hard it almost falls off and rolls into a quirky corner*

Maybe I'm wrong in the head, but I would almost prefer someone cussing me out or outright judging me to someone who patronizingly "praises" what a "free spirit" I am or how I am "my own person." Ya, guess what? I read subtext. Just say, "You are one freaking weirdo and you stick out like a sore thumb and I can't even try to get to know you because you're just. so. WEIRD."

So I hate small talk and rarely take conversation at face value - if it makes you uncomfortable, fine, but chitchat and prattle make me mental, too, so how about we both suck it up and refrain from calling each other names like we learned in kindergarten. Fakey Boring Plastic McFakerson. 

Yo, food companies: if you put ANY artificial sweetener in something, label that sh*t. I just bought over 10 cups of something I thought had sugar because it wasn't marketed with "light" or "lite" or "diet" or even "sugar free." And....phhhttttt! Stevia! F*ck you, I don't care if it comes from a plant, by the time you mortar and pestle it and bubble acid through it or whathave you....it's artificial sweetener and I shouldn't have to read the fine print to discover that.

It has a hand printed on each cup

Totally thought this was true, bilgistic! Then again, I've fallen for the 'did you know gullible isn't a word in the dictionary?' joke. Twice. 

• Love 1

I hate even asking because it will point out that I am a techno-idiot but I've somehow managed to make the Forums show up in tiny print while the rest of this site looks fine.  This happened once before and I managed to fix it but I don't remember how.

Help?

I did that before but have no idea how I did it or how it became undone.  To quote Philips Henslowe from Shakespeare in Love: It's a mystery.

I haven't been saddled too often with "quirky".  I've been described as "unique" from high school forward.  I usually describe myself as "left of center".

Yo, food companies: if you put ANY artificial sweetener in something, label that sh*t. I just bought over 10 cups of something I thought had sugar because it wasn't marketed with "light" or "lite" or "diet" or even "sugar free." And....phhhttttt! Stevia! F*ck you, I don't care if it comes from a plant, by the time you mortar and pestle it and bubble acid through it or whathave you....it's artificial sweetener and I shouldn't have to read the fine print to discover that.

YES!   I always think that artificial sweetened stuff tastes ten times sweeter than the stuff with sugar.  And some of it gives me intestinal cramps.  

I can't keep all the sweeteners straight, I avoid them when I can.  A lot of stuff leaves a weird metallic aftertaste. 

• Love 1

One of my pet peeves is how everything that is supposed to make something is easier is being called a hack. 

That show Life Hacks has almost never shown me anything that is a legit "hack"! For instance, if I need to cut open one of those impossible plastic packages and I don't have ordinary scissors handy, what makes the idiot hosts think I'll be able to quickly get hold of a can opener?! Further, if I have lots of aluminum foil and an operational dishwasher in which to hack my as-yet-uncooked lasagne, odds are that I am in the same room as a--GASP!--functioning oven!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 3

We did pale beige walls (to match the carpet), and one wall behind the headboard in a deep, dark purple. I love it, especially with black drapes and a bold leopard comforter (king size on a queen bed, haha! I did have to buy it with pillow shams, but I was OK with that because I just leave them on two of our four pillows, while the other two have regular pillowcases). I sometimes feel bad that my BF is sleeping in what may look like a 1970s goth-brothel, but he seems fine with it.

And don't be too daunted about covering it later; it can be just as hard to adequately cover a light color with a red-based one! Ugh, it's infuriating and unexpected...and often holds true for hair color and tattoo ink, in fact! It took my BF three coats to cover a pale pastel yellow with the purple.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 1

Crazy Russian Hacker's YouTube channel is hilarious "BOOM!"

Some of the hacks are good. He shows a lot of ways to recycle garbage like wine corks or use household cheap shit for experiments also good on him he probably makes like ten g a month on his channel.

I feel like a "hack" is, like, using a pencil eraser if you lose the back of your earring.

I could have used that hack this morning.  As soon as I got to work, I noticed that I had lost the back of one earring.  I just took it off for the rest of the day.

New peeve:  Why do drug companies insist on constantly changing up their packaging for meds?  I'm on one BP med and I know that the packaging has changed at least three times within the last couple of years.  It was first in blister packs, then it changed to a brown bottle, the size/shape/color of the pills has changed at least twice and today when I got a refill, it had been repackaged once again in little fat squatty white bottles. And sometimes, when I get a 90 day supply it's in one big bottle, but (like today) it was in those three little bottles of 30 pills each.  I can understand the change a year or so ago when it went generic, but whenever it changes, I have to look extra close to make sure I was given the right medicine (I always look, but I get to know the color/shape of the pill and the type of bottle).  Maybe the drugs are sold to various companies for manufacture, but i find it a pain.

Edited by BooksRule

I hate when they change packaging. This isn't as important as medicine but I went shopping with my daughter today, we went to the pet store so I could stock up on some supplies. I looked for my dogs' treats for 20 minutes before I finally had to get somebody to help me. They were right in front of me but they changed the packaging so I kept looking right past them.

I am proud that I didn't come home with any living thing from the Pet store this time. Last time I went I came home with guinea pigs and a bearded dragon.

They did have a really nice aquarium though. I've been wanting one for upstairs and I think I found the one I want. It's expensive though so I need to think about it for a day or two.

Oh yeah...this is Pet Peeves. My peeve is that aquarium stands cost as much if not more than the damn aquarium does. The tank I want is only 65 dollars more than the stand.

I wonder if it would be OK to just keep it on my dresser instead of a stand.

• Love 3

Oh yeah...this is Pet Peeves. My peeve is that aquarium stands cost as much if not more than the damn aquarium does. The tank I want is only 65 dollars more than the stand.

I wonder if it would be OK to just keep it on my dresser instead of a stand.

A word of advice: If you live in earthquake country, make sure the aquarium is secured well enough that it could never be knocked over or off in a quake, regardless of what you have it sitting on. You do not want the added aggravation of having to deal with fish and water all over the place when you're cleaning up after a big one. I ended up with a soaked mattress and carpet after the Loma Prieta quake...

• Love 2

A word of advice: If you live in earthquake country, make sure the aquarium is secured well enough that it could never be knocked over or off in a quake, regardless of what you have it sitting on. You do not want the added aggravation of having to deal with fish and water all over the place when you're cleaning up after a big one. I ended up with a soaked mattress and carpet after the Loma Prieta quake...

I was getting ready to see Stevie Nicks at the Concord Pavilion the night of the Loma Prieta quake. My kids were really young and thought the earthquake was the funnest thing in the world.

I am smack in the middle of earthquake country. My tank in my living room is secured, I'll definitely do the same with the upstairs tank.

That's great advice.

I'm a California girl born and raised but I knew what the Pig was! It took me a second to think about it but I figured it out.

I feel so proud.

Edited by Maharincess
  • Love 1

All the talk about the Piggly Wiggly made me look up Lewis Grizzard. I always think of him when it is mentioned because I always want to call it the Hoggly Woggly (for no reason but silliness) and he was the first person I heard or read that used that name.

Now I want to read his books or see the episodes of Designing Women where he played Julia and Suzanne's brother.

• Love 1
Now I want to read his books or see the episodes of Designing Women where he played Julia and Suzanne's brother.

I like his stand-up bit in that episode about the difference between naked and nekkid.  "Naked means you ain't got no clothes on.  Nekkid means you ain't got no clothes on, and you're up to something."

• Love 3

All the talk about the Piggly Wiggly made me look up Lewis Grizzard. I always think of him when it is mentioned because I always want to call it the Hoggly Woggly (for no reason but silliness) and he was the first person I heard or read that used that name.

I'm Southern by birth, currently living in the Midwest. I loved Lewis Grizzard & his books (have most, if not all), & was so sad when he died. I also think his Designing Women ep(s?) is (are) among my favorites. The end of the 1 where his character was introduced, where he left his visit with Julia & Suzanne out of the blue because he thought they were embarrassed by him, especially because he'd been in a psychiatric hospital, really got me.

But I didn't know Piggly Wiggly is nicknamed "The Pig" & there was (may still be) 1, when I was a kid/middle school aged, near where my grandparents lived, in a small, rural, Alabama town between Huntsville & Birmingham.