Type keyword(s) to search

Whitney Thore: So She Thinks She Can Dance

• Start Topic

Possibly Sweatney subconsciously knows the men she pursues won't ever become her life partner and that's why she picks them? Because she isn't capable of caring enough about THEM to make a successful relationship possible, and she's gratified to always have a victim story to tell?

• Love 3
On 1/15/2018 at 2:33 PM, TurtlePower said:

I've never seen this and didn't think it was a bad as everyone else thought. This Whitney is likeable; this is the Whitney I wanted to see on the show. This Whitney was being honest--admitting she overate in college which led to her weight gain. Admitting that it was harder, but not impossible, to lose weight (she lost 100 lb). And when she made her fat girl dancing video, she was much more mobile (and nicer!).

Now we have a sad sack who can barely move, makes excuses and has fake storylines. It's a shame because the show could have been so different and meaningful.

Omg. She got bigger 

• Love 1

Just when will the TLC show producers, Whitney‘s parents, and Whitney‘s friends get tired of trying to think of “fun activities” for her to do to fill up her empty life? No job. No hobbies (outside of cat molestation). No goals. No ambition. No reason for her to get up in the morning other than the occasional pretend BGDC.

• Love 3

I absolutely cannot stand Whitney. It has nothing at all to do with her size. One of the most narcissistic and manipulative people I've ever seen. I think it's pathetic that the TV Network glorifies her morbidly obese condition by giving her a show of her own. Trust that she will soon be in front of Dr. Nowzarden in Houston begging for weight loss surgery which he would never give her because she would be one of the most non-compliant patients he's ever had. I think it's great that she doesn't give a vibe that she is self-conscious about her size.....but clearly she is. She is a bully to her friends and manipulates them in every way to get what she wants......which is to cater to all of her wants and needs. It's clear that she has created this big personality and wants to be seen as an extrovert that loves her fatness, but she's kidding herself. She'll die much younger than she otherwise should and her entire philosophy is to try to make people change the way they see her and accept her instead of making the necessary changes she needs  to save her life.  I realize her unique disease can cause real weight gain.....but wolfing down pizzas and other ridiculous foods in large volume will certainly be the root of the cause of her further weight gain. My God....if she lost just 5 pounds a month she'd be down 60 pounds in one year. But she intimidates everyone around her, including her parents, by throwing her crybaby temper tantrums, which is just another form of bullying, until everyone enables her and gives her whatever she wants. And that ridiculous laugh or hers. She actually thinks that the things she says are that funny. Here's a thought......when your telling a story, make it something interesting rather than about how much you like to smell your cat's breath.

• Love 6

In the Unpopular Opinions thread, @SunnyBeBe posted: "I do think that Whit is a vulnerable person, despite her gruff demeanor at times. Regardless of how smart asp, funny or tough a woman may come off, it's often an act and just trying to save face.  I think our insecurities come out particularly when we are betrayed and/or rejected."

Some time ago, someone in the forum (I wish I could appropriately credit you, please come forward if you wish) gave Twit the armchair diagnosis of histrionic personality disorder. I think HPD fits her to a T; it's like narcissism on steroids. Twit has even admitted to depression tho to none of the other symptoms. She has also stated that she has been in therapy for nearly 3 years. Since her behavior hasn't changed an iota in that time, I think she needs a new shrink who will tell her the truth about what her problem is & give her tools to cope with the disorder since my understanding is that it can't be cured but can be mitigated.

Since there are a lot of new people in the forum, here's the Wikipedia summary of HPD once again:

HPD lies in the dramatic cluster of personality disorders. People with HPD have a high need for attention, make loud and inappropriate appearances, exaggerate their behaviors and emotions, and crave stimulation.They may exhibit sexually provocative behavior, express strong emotions with an impressionistic style, and can be easily influenced by others. Associated features include egocentrism, self-indulgence, continuous longing for appreciation, and persistent manipulative behavior to achieve their own needs.

People with HPD are usually high-functioning, both socially and professionally. They usually have good social skills, despite tending to use them to manipulate others into making them the center of attention. HPD may also affect a person's social and/or romantic relationships, as well as their ability to cope with losses or failures. They may seek treatment for clinical depression when romantic (or other close personal) relationships end.

Individuals with HPD often fail to see their own personal situation realistically, instead dramatizing and exaggerating their difficulties. They may go through frequent job changes, as they become easily bored and may prefer withdrawing from frustration (instead of facing it). Because they tend to crave novelty and excitement, they may place themselves in risky situations. All of these factors may lead to greater risk of developing clinical depression.

The Wikipedia article is much longer & worth reading if you're interested in knowing more about HPD.

• Love 10

Here it is. 

Posted by ChristmasJones  

The term narcissistic gets thrown around a lot these days (far too much IMO)...

For fun, I decided to re-read the characteristics of another personality disorder - histrionic personality disorder.  I was surprised to see how many of these fit Whitney.  (of course we can't really diagnose anyone on TV, but I do think its interesting to look at her through this lens, as opposed to just labeling her as narcissistic)

Curious what others think.

Histrionic Personality Disorder

A pervasive pattern of excessive emotionality and attention seeking, beginning by early adulthood and present in a variety of contexts, as indicated by five (or more) of the following:

Is uncomfortable in situations in which he or she is not the center of attention

Interaction with others is often characterized by inappropriate sexually seductive or provocative behavior

Displays rapidly shifting and shallow expression of emotions

Consistently uses physical appearance to draw attention to themself

Has a style of speech that is excessively impressionistic and lacking in detail

Shows self-dramatization, theatricality, and exaggerated expression of emotion

Is highly suggestible, i.e., easily influenced by others or circumstances

Considers relationships to be more intimate than they actually are

If nothing else, I think she does have many of these traits.

https://psychcentral.com/disorders/histrionic-personality-disorder-symptoms/

Edited by AUJulia
To add attribution
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Dot said:

In the Unpopular Opinions thread, @SunnyBeBe posted: "I do think that Whit is a vulnerable person, despite her gruff demeanor at times. Regardless of how smart asp, funny or tough a woman may come off, it's often an act and just trying to save face.  I think our insecurities come out particularly when we are betrayed and/or rejected."

Some time ago, someone in the forum (I wish I could appropriately credit you, please come forward if you wish) gave Twit the armchair diagnosis of histrionic personality disorder. I think HPD fits her to a T; it's like narcissism on steroids. Twit has even admitted to depression tho to none of the other symptoms. She has also stated that she has been in therapy for nearly 3 years. Since her behavior hasn't changed an iota in that time, I think she needs a new shrink who will tell her the truth about what her problem is & give her tools to cope with the disorder since my understanding is that it can't be cured but can be mitigated.

Since there are a lot of new people in the forum, here's the Wikipedia summary of HPD once again:

HPD lies in the dramatic cluster of personality disorders. People with HPD have a high need for attention, make loud and inappropriate appearances, exaggerate their behaviors and emotions, and crave stimulation.They may exhibit sexually provocative behavior, express strong emotions with an impressionistic style, and can be easily influenced by others. Associated features include egocentrism, self-indulgence, continuous longing for appreciation, and persistent manipulative behavior to achieve their own needs.

People with HPD are usually high-functioning, both socially and professionally. They usually have good social skills, despite tending to use them to manipulate others into making them the center of attention. HPD may also affect a person's social and/or romantic relationships, as well as their ability to cope with losses or failures. They may seek treatment for clinical depression when romantic (or other close personal) relationships end.

Individuals with HPD often fail to see their own personal situation realistically, instead dramatizing and exaggerating their difficulties. They may go through frequent job changes, as they become easily bored and may prefer withdrawing from frustration (instead of facing it). Because they tend to crave novelty and excitement, they may place themselves in risky situations. All of these factors may lead to greater risk of developing clinical depression.

The Wikipedia article is much longer & worth reading if you're interested in knowing more about HPD.

I also believe she has a “set” mindset versus a “growth” mindset. Simplistic example—people with set mindsets might take to a new activity quite easily, at first. They tend to have unrealistic goals and they overestimate their abilities. When the activity becomes more technical and difficult, set mindsets will often give up because it has become “too hard”.  

Growth mindsets embrace challenges as a way to learn and grow. 

• Love 5
19 hours ago, drGil said:

I absolutely cannot stand Whitney. It has nothing at all to do with her size. One of the most narcissistic and manipulative people I've ever seen. I think it's pathetic that the TV Network glorifies her morbidly obese condition by giving her a show of her own. Trust that she will soon be in front of Dr. Nowzarden in Houston begging for weight loss surgery which he would never give her because she would be one of the most non-compliant patients he's ever had. I think it's great that she doesn't give a vibe that she is self-conscious about her size.....but clearly she is. She is a bully to her friends and manipulates them in every way to get what she wants......which is to cater to all of her wants and needs. It's clear that she has created this big personality and wants to be seen as an extrovert that loves her fatness, but she's kidding herself. She'll die much younger than she otherwise should and her entire philosophy is to try to make people change the way they see her and accept her instead of making the necessary changes she needs  to save her life.  I realize her unique disease can cause real weight gain.....but wolfing down pizzas and other ridiculous foods in large volume will certainly be the root of the cause of her further weight gain. My God....if she lost just 5 pounds a month she'd be down 60 pounds in one year. But she intimidates everyone around her, including her parents, by throwing her crybaby temper tantrums, which is just another form of bullying, until everyone enables her and gives her whatever she wants. And that ridiculous laugh or hers. She actually thinks that the things she says are that funny. Here's a thought......when your telling a story, make it something interesting rather than about how much you like to smell your cat's breath.

You certainly described her very well.  

• Love 5
On 1/20/2018 at 5:39 PM, ClareWalks said:

How would she even know? When's the last time she had an empty stomach? (Seriously, not even trying to be a dick, she eats a lot and often on this show) I hate this kind of stuff because it diminishes actual hunger. Like "haven't eaten in days" hungry. People like Whitney think "starving" is when you get a bit hangry because you haven't had carbs in a few hours.

Her behavior diminishes anybody that has ever struggled over anything ever.

I cannot stand people who perceive themselves as victims!!!    They infuriate me.

Edited by Kid
  • Love 9

Wow, that second picture! What the hell do the two of them think they're doing? If he's actually forcing her leg up, there is nothing safe about this.  However, in both pictures,  she's faking the amount of extension she has in the lifted leg by having the other leg bent at the knee.

• Love 9

Adding to the lexicon of Whitney Werds: Twerty.

Whitney, in talking head, announces that she is giving her mother a twerty. "What's a twerty?" asks the baffled producer she is speaking to.  Whitney gives producer  her open-mouth look of disbelief and says, "It's a kitty." Apparently the producer looked even more baffled and Whitney added impatiently. "Kitty - Twitty- Twerty!"  She makes a "duh" face at the producer and the scene ends.

Edited by Ketzel
  • Love 5

Rewatching an old episode from season 2 when Whitney does the penguin 5k, and I have a serious question.  I’m no athlete but is a 5k really that hard to do in an HOUR when your walking even for somebody’s Whitney’s size?  She looked smaller back then and more mobile, but her 70 year old dad, who doesn’t look particularly in good shape was clearly not having  a difficult time.

• Love 8
6 hours ago, Irate Panda said:

Rewatching an old episode from season 2 when Whitney does the penguin 5k, and I have a serious question.  I’m no athlete but is a 5k really that hard to do in an HOUR when your walking even for somebody’s Whitney’s size?  She looked smaller back then and more mobile, but her 70 year old dad, who doesn’t look particularly in good shape was clearly not having  a difficult time.

My mom visited me once and I signed her up for a 5k without telling her in advance. She was almost 60, had back issues and had been smoking for 40 years and never exercised ever. She still beat Whit's time.

• Love 13
5 hours ago, Nancypants said:

Whitney thinks she is the Shit but she ain't even a fart.

I don't know about that - "Eternal" "dance" partner Todd seemed to think she was a fart. (Or at least farting in rehearsals, during season 4 Ep. 3). Who could forget his facial expression as Whitney did her signature "bend from the waist and shake ass" move inches in front of him? Or his deadpan, "The instant I heard the noise, I cut off all air to my entire respiratory system." Followed by Whitney bellowing laughter in his face like she had just done the funniest thing ever?!

Edited by Ketzel
  • Love 9
15 hours ago, Irate Panda said:

9 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

My mom visited me once and I signed her up for a 5k without telling her in advance. She was almost 60, had back issues and had been smoking for 40 years and never exercised ever. She still beat Whit's time.

5k in an hour is a brisk walk for most people, even out-of-shape people. I tried looking up her time for the Tuxedo Trot and it looks like they don't keep previous participants' times available. Was she over an hour? 

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, TurtlePower said:

5k in an hour is a brisk walk for most people, even out-of-shape people. I tried looking up her time for the Tuxedo Trot and it looks like they don't keep previous participants' times available. Was she over an hour? 

I remember Whit finished in 1:03-something. That is about a 20-minute mile which is fairly leisurely, actually. A brisk walk is more like a 16-minute mile or less. Considering Whitney was "jogging" some of it, I shudder to think how slow the actual walking portions were.

• Love 5
14 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

I remember Whit finished in 1:03-something. That is about a 20-minute mile which is fairly leisurely, actually. A brisk walk is more like a 16-minute mile or less. Considering Whitney was "jogging" some of it, I shudder to think how slow the actual walking portions were.

I suppose it is! Think I got confused with our wildland fire pack test, we're to finish 3 miles walking (no running) with a 45 lb pack in 45 minutes. Not sure how I got 20 minute miles as "brisk"!

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, TurtlePower said:

I suppose it is! Think I got confused with our wildland fire pack test, we're to finish 3 miles walking (no running) with a 45 lb pack in 45 minutes. Not sure how I got 20 minute miles as "brisk"!

Damn! That is intense!

• Love 1
34 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

Poked around some local NYC 5ks, and at random, i saw one where a 93-year-old man finished last. In 58 minutes. (The front of the pack generally finished the whole 5k in 14 minutes, near there.)

• Love 7
5 minutes ago, tdanaher said:

Poked around some local NYC 5ks, and at random, i saw one where a 93-year-old man finished last. In 58 minutes. (The front of the pack generally finished the whole 5k in 14 minutes, near there.)

[Whitney Voice] Sure, but I bet HE didn't have PCOS! Or haters making fun of him for being wrinkled. It's so much worse to be discriminated against because you are a woman of size than it ever is to be discriminated against because of age! Why, I bet people even cheered for him as he went by, but no one said anything at all to me! Not one thing! Don't I deserve an 'attagirl'? No! Because people hate fat women! How am I supposed to be a role model for the fat/fit life, if no one sees me being fit? And how can I help it when I have PCOS and it's not my fault? I TOLD Daddy I never wanted to do the stupid 5K again the first time we did it, so why did he MAKE me do it again? He wanted to see me fail! Everyone wants to see me fail! They are just jelly of my fabulous life, all of them.

• Love 14
3 hours ago, TurtlePower said:

I think Glenn stated she was in at either and hour and 3 minutes or and hour and 13 minutes, I couldnt quite understand him but he definitely said an hour and something.

Edited by Irate Panda
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, TurtlePower said:

Good work!
I saw the show where a trainer works with the person to lose weight, Extreme Weight Loss maybe, they had the person at the fire training place with the pack, and climbing stairs with it.  
Didn't realize quite how heavy it was.

3 hours ago, Brooklynista said:

A professional dancer. Over an hour to walk 3 miles.

She's only a professional dancer from the waist up.

• Love 5

Is MBFFL throwing out some new episodes ? My DVR is indicating first run eps...confused!! 

2 hours ago, auntjess said:

Good work!
I saw the show where a trainer works with the person to lose weight, Extreme Weight Loss maybe, they had the person at the fire training place with the pack, and climbing stairs with it.  
Didn't realize quite how heavy it was.

She's only a professional dancer from the waist up.

Waist up I just see ALOT of arm waving . I see no dance 

• Love 7
16 hours ago, Ketzel said:

[Whitney Voice] Sure, but I bet HE didn't have PCOS! Or haters making fun of him for being wrinkled. It's so much worse to be discriminated against because you are a woman of size than it ever is to be discriminated against because of age! Why, I bet people even cheered for him as he went by, but no one said anything at all to me! Not one thing! Don't I deserve an 'attagirl'? No! Because people hate fat women! How am I supposed to be a role model for the fat/fit life, if no one sees me being fit? And how can I help it when I have PCOS and it's not my fault? I TOLD Daddy I never wanted to do the stupid 5K again the first time we did it, so why did he MAKE me do it again? He wanted to see me fail! Everyone wants to see me fail! They are just jelly of my fabulous life, all of them.

@Ketzel - you channel Twit WAY too well.... that is spot on! *big ole donkey bray*

3 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

And she barely HAS a waist anymore! ;)

As evidenced by the wedding dress she tried on that was "fit and flare". It's supposed to fit "in" a the waist but she had no fit. She's all flare. 

• Love 9

I’m confused I’m rewatching season 3 (I know preposterous) when Whitney is talking about Heather starting to date that Buddy is her ex-boyfriend...I thought they never dated she just had a crush on him.  Did they date or is this a whitneyism of rewriting history?  

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, Irate Panda said:

I’m confused I’m rewatching season 3 (I know preposterous) when Whitney is talking about Heather starting to date that Buddy is her ex-boyfriend...I thought they never dated she just had a crush on him.  Did they date or is this a whitneyism of rewriting history?  

The latter, were you to ask Buddy.

• Love 7
8 minutes ago, Irate Panda said:

This is the Schroedinger's Cat of Whitney-world. Did they date, not date, hook up (or as she put it "cross the fleshhold)... kinda like Avi with both Twit and Nada: I bought a dress to marry him, we were almost engaged, we're dating, he's my boyfriend. It really is quantum mechanics at their most confusing. And I love how she told her dad that they were getting married and Glenn pointed out that they weren't engaged and she just eye-rolled and said something like of Course they aren't engaged, she didn't say they were engaged, she said she was going to marry him. So now you can plan to marry and do the whole engagement thing after??? Maybe her whole concept of space-time is just so much more advanced than ours. Maybe that's what's wrong. We're just too simple-minded to grasp this non-linear fabulousness that is her life. 

Yeah. That's got to be it. 

• Love 15

Eh, the story changes all the time, depending on what storyline Twit is working on.  He's her ex, or they are just friends.  They crossed the "fleshhold" or they never have.  I don't believe any of tit.  More like he's a hired actor, doing whatever the storyline calls for.

• Love 7
On 1/20/2018 at 6:30 PM, Starry Eyes said:

14292386_10102343399271168_3402104873797965159_n.jpg

I remember the first time  saw this, I was speechless. I thought either she had no clue what an ass she was making of herself or she was baiting everyone to make fun of her.  It’s right up there with her picture superimposed on an elephant

• Love 7

I picture Whitmee right now on her personal couch semi watching the Superbowl using it as a reason to use all 4 of her Pizza Apps., collapsing in a calorie induced stupor before halftime. And when she got Dominoes she got the stuffed crust with wings and that HUGE cookie. 

OBNOXIOUS PIG.

Just now, Nancypants said:

I picture Whitmee right now on her personal couch semi watching the Superbowl using it as a reason to use all 4 of her Pizza Apps., collapsing in a calorie induced stupor before halftime. And when she got Dominoes she got the stuffed crust with wings and that HUGE cookie. 

OBNOXIOUS PIG.

Keep eating, buttwings.

• Love 5
35 minutes ago, Maggienolia said:

This is the Schroedinger's Cat of Whitney-world. Did they date, not date, hook up (or as she put it "cross the fleshhold)... kinda like Avi with both Twit and Nada: I bought a dress to marry him, we were almost engaged, we're dating, he's my boyfriend. It really is quantum mechanics at their most confusing. And I love how she told her dad that they were getting married and Glenn pointed out that they weren't engaged and she just eye-rolled and said something like of Course they aren't engaged, she didn't say they were engaged, she said she was going to marry him. So now you can plan to marry and do the whole engagement thing after??? Maybe her whole concept of space-time is just so much more advanced than ours. Maybe that's what's wrong. We're just too simple-minded to grasp this non-linear fabulousness that is her life. 

Yeah. That's got to be it. 

What damn loser would marry that ridiculous annoying fat turd.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

Re: Buddy, I am 95% sure they had one drunken hookup and Buddy has no memory of it.

Maybe - but if so let's not encourage Buddy to remember or even hint at it happening around him. The poor guy just got sober. We want it to stick.

Also, you don't call a drunken hookup your ex-boyfriend so even if it happened, once again Whitney makes WAY too much out of a relationship.

• Love 7
15 hours ago, Bubbles1967 said:

I remember the first time  saw this, I was speechless. I thought either she had no clue what an ass she was making of herself or she was baiting everyone to make fun of her.  It’s right up there with her picture superimposed on an elephant

Yeah, me too. "On an empty stomach, I can't dance". I found it insulting, actually, to those with a real hunger problem. Meaning it's not just late for breakfast for them, but that they have no breakfast. Kids going to school on an empty stomach. Parents skipping meals to feed their children. People who see someone throw out a fast food bag and rifle through it to see if anything is left. THAT is hunger.

Fuck you, Whitney.  What's an empty stomach for her anyways? Missing a stop at Dunks for a sugar latte and a giant cookie? She's got enough reserves from the past several years of over-eating to last her a while (channeling Dr. Now). 

Edited by TurtlePower
  • Love 11

Whitney explains how difficult a 5K is when you are carrying an extra 200 pounds. But she's mostly pissed about it and resentful her father seems to be enjoying himself, while her feet are really really hurting.

Here's a scene of Whitney and Buddy discussing their "relationship" while sharing a few pizzas.  Spoiler alert to counter the clickbait headline- No, they did not get engaged. :-) Buddy, in fact, appears fairly horrified at the very idea.

Both of these are from early seasons of the show.

Edited by Ketzel
  • Love 4