Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: About Big People

• Start Topic

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sheesh!  Someone else blaming a malfunctioning organ for their weight gain.  I too have an under active thyroid and I don't blame it for my weight.  I gained weight because I over ate and now I am losing weight because I am eating less and moving more.  I also take medication for my under active thyroid and that puts my thyroid level right where it should be.  I just cannot believe a woman would put herself at risk for the dubious honor of having the world's widest hips. 

Edited by abbey
proof reading fail
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, abbey said:

sheesh!  Someone else blaming a malfunctioning organ for their weight loss.  I too have an under active thyroid and I don't blame it for my weight.  I gained weight because I over ate and now I am losing weight because I am eating less and moving more.  I also take medication for my under active thyroid and that puts my thyroid level right where it should be.  I just cannot believe a woman would put herself at risk for the dubious honor of having the world's widest hips. 

Word. I, too, have hypothroidism & have never used that as an excuse for overeating.

• Love 2

You know, with my condition it's sometimes hard to be physically active. And by "physically active" I mean walking across the hallway to get to the bathroom by myself. I am sometimes laid up for a week at a time. However, I can honestly say that whenever I've gained weight it's for no other reason than I am stuffing myself with whole cartons of Chips Ahoy, my own ice cream pints, and half a dozen donuts at a time. I'm a crap eater, but at least I own it. 

(I'm not actually overweight at the moment-I weigh 105 pounds. But I've been as high as 130, which is a lot on a 4'10" frame, and it's because I'm having too much fun eating.)

• Love 11
On 9/10/2017 at 0:20 AM, Dot said:

Interesting site; thanks for posting it.

There wouldn't be any way it could include MBFFL since there has not even been any filming yet. If that show is coming back, I don't think it could happen as anything but a summer replacement, 2018.

Shall I assume she hasn't mentioned any status of the show at all on her social media?  I know of other TLC shows that seemed dead but then came back, although a little later than they normally would have.

ETA:  Her last season began airing toward the end of January 2017.  Those "premiere date" websites don't have much on shows premiering that late yet.  Does anyone know when filming started last year?

Edited by Snarklepuss

There's a lingerie company in the UK that might potentially be interested in hiring Twitney as a model.  

Check this out.  (WARNING:  Not for the faint of heart.)  I agree with their premise that plus-sized people (I am one) are entitled to feel sexy.  I just don't need them to show the whole world . . . just them and their SO is plenty.

• Love 3

Thanks to both @AZChristian & @auntjess for sharing 2 very interesting articles. I love it when given the opportunity in this forum to read stuff I wouldn't otherwise come across.

• Love 3

I picked up a mahazine at Barnes & Noble called Fabuplus the other day.  Pretty, young (up to 30's probably), overweight women modeling clothes,  talking about their professional work issues, esp. weight bias, travel, and general stuff. It was ok.

Well, our Miss Twit had an ad up front for her cruise, book, and merch, (an ad which Im sure she had to pay for),  as well as a brief, half page article , much further back in the mag,   abt something, sorry, I don't remember.  Her statements and her written words are kind of over-generalized, same old stuff about acceptance, so I skimmed and just don't remember. ...it had that big an impact on me. 

I did really look closely at the women portrayed and Twit was the largest.  I think even among plus size women,  there's a modeling line between curvy-big, and Twit-type slobby, in addition to youth. 

Plus, many wore cute shoes and boots with some heel. Flip-flops are not much of a fashion statement, no matter how awesome your pedicure is.  

I think Twit has bottomed out in the regular plus size market cuz of her extreme weight, lack of style,  age, no professional career as a base to improve upon or break through with weight nondiscrimination,  and lack of a better, pertinent, concise, media-savvy message about plus acceptance--which would be belied anyway by her increasing health issues and disabilities due to weight-- that were flagrantly displayed in her own show. 

She's got nothing, except a food addiction. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Tosia said:

I did really look closely at the women portrayed and Twit was the largest.  I think even among plus size women,  there's a modeling line between curvy-big, and Twit-type slobby, in addition to youth.

Yes, you're moving toward the 600 lb Life size people, and immobility.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Tosia said:

I picked up a mahazine at Barnes & Noble called Fabuplus the other day.  Pretty, young (up to 30's probably), overweight women modeling clothes,  talking about their professional work issues, esp. weight bias, travel, and general stuff. It was ok.

Well, our Miss Twit had an ad up front for her cruise, book, and merch, (an ad which Im sure she had to pay for),  as well as a brief, half page article , much further back in the mag,   abt something, sorry, I don't remember.  Her statements and her written words are kind of over-generalized, same old stuff about acceptance, so I skimmed and just don't remember. ...it had that big an impact on me. 

Plus, many wore cute shoes and boots with some heel. Flip-flops are not much of a fashion statement, no matter how awesome your pedicure is.  

I think Twit has bottomed out in the regular plus size market cuz of her extreme weight, lack of style,  age, no professional career as a base to improve upon or break through with weight nondiscrimination,  and lack of a better, pertinent, concise, media-savvy message about plus acceptance--which would be belied anyway by her increasing health issues and disabilities due to weight-- that were flagrantly displayed in her own show. 

She's got nothing, except a food addiction. 

I'm sure that's the article I linked to on Aug 19 in the Social Media thread. Now that you say she had an ad in the mag, too, it makes a lot of sense to me. When I Iived in San Jose, I occasionally free-lanced for a couple of local magazines. If a restaurant or store or similar advertised in the mag, they would get a nice little article written about them. Tit for tat. Quid pro quo. Article for ad.

Edited by Dot
  • Love 2
17 hours ago, auntjess said:

Saw this on the channel guide. Give the Thore's some competition.
http://www.mylifetime.com/shows/livin-large

The healthcare system must just LOVE the kind of patients they're going to see on an increasing basis, with this kind of attitude blooming....

"Life is too short to focus on weight loss when they could be living life in the fast lane, even when the fast lane can’t quite fully support them. While understanding that they could be healthier, and always striving to better themselves, they don’t let their size hold them back from living their lives full of humor, drama and family adventure."

• Love 3
1 hour ago, tdanaher said:

The healthcare system must just LOVE the kind of patients they're going to see on an increasing basis, with this kind of attitude blooming....

"Life is too short to focus on weight loss when they could be living life in the fast lane, even when the fast lane can’t quite fully support them. While understanding that they could be healthier, and always striving to better themselves, they don’t let their size hold them back from living their lives full of humor, drama and family adventure."

Sure.  But if you're IN the fast lane, you'd better be able to keep up with the flow of traffic or people behind you will start beeping and yelling at you.  Kind of like what social media does to people like Twitney.

• Love 5
18 hours ago, auntjess said:

When I first read this, admittedly I jumped to  this conclusion: "Oh hell, NOW what fake competition is she embarking on?!?"

Though I question this trend in shows about obese people, at least it's not all about her life anymore show-wise. And maybe it'll be more "real". 

Edited by TurtlePower
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, auntjess said:

I have found another show to hate watch, Catfish.
These people can easily believe any number of impossible things before breakfast.
Do try one.  It's on MTV, various times in day and afternoon.

Been watching since it started! Idiots. Especially the one who thought he was dating Katy Perry. 

• Love 4
59 minutes ago, auntjess said:

I know.  Wasn't that amazing.  It doesn't bode well for the future of our country, or our world.

I sometimes wonder if these people realize that people who live 6 blocks from them are possibly on the internet looking for love as well.  Right around the corner.  And real.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, AZChristian said:

Sure.  But if you're IN the fast lane, you'd better be able to keep up with the flow of traffic or people behind you will start beeping and yelling at you.  Kind of like what social media does to people like Twitney.

11 hours ago, tdanaher said:

The healthcare system must just L

Yep, life is too short...and even shorter when you ignore rational health guidelines....morons.

• Love 4

I was at the checkout the other day and saw an Us magazine, or Entertainment Weekly or one of those with three big ladies on the front: Melissa McCarthy, Chrissy Metz, and I think Kelly Clarkson, with headlines about being fat...not sure if they were pro or con. 

Anyway, I flip to the story to see I'd our Twitney was pictured or mentioned.  NOPE.

Too bad, so sad. No one noticed Twit was on tv. So much for her "fame". I bet the other ladies mentioned above get alot more fan mail related to their talents/roles than weight. 

There were a bunch of pix of celebrity women with weight numbers by their photos.  Even Rhiannon was shown??????

There was Adele, Cristina Aquliera and others I'm blanking on now,  several of whom had gained weight temporarily, and others I would not consider having an over-weight problem.  It's still on sale , so check it out.  

These mags do show skeletal skinny celebrities (Tory Spelling,) often enough so fair play?????

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Tosia said:

I was at the checkout the other day and saw an Us magazine, or Entertainment Weekly or one of those with three big ladies on the front: Melissa McCarthy, Chrissy Metz, and I think Kelly Clarkson, with headlines about being fat...not sure if they were pro or con. 

Anyway, I flip to the story to see I'd our Twitney was pictured or mentioned.  NOPE.

Too bad, so sad. No one noticed Twit was on tv. So much for her "fame". I bet the other ladies mentioned above get alot more fan mail related to their talents/roles than weight. 

There were a bunch of pix of celebrity women with weight numbers by their photos.  Even Rhiannon was shown??????

There was Adele, Cristina Aquliera and others I'm blanking on now,  several of whom had gained weight temporarily, and others I would not consider having an over-weight problem.  It's still on sale , so check it out.  

These mags do show skeletal skinny celebrities (Tory Spelling,) often enough so fair play?????

Yeah I read that one (gossip mags are my guilty pleasure). Some of the ladies featured were indeed obese, others, like Christina Hendricks, just not "Hollywood thin" yet healthy (she looks amazing, I have no idea why she was included in this). 

I don't think they know who Whitney is and if they do, she's already got a platform--her show. Good thing too, she doesn't deserve any more attention. 

On 9/21/2017 at 2:50 PM, auntjess said:

OMGoodness. These people are so misguided. "Life is too short to focus on weight loss when they could be living life in the fast lane" Jeez. As a fluffy black woman, with a mother who had to have been 350 lbs or more when I was a kid; with a sister who, until I introduced her to vegetarianism, was double my size most of our lives; and various aunts and cousins who are fluffy as well; I know from big black people. We have so many health issues that happen to us because of our weight, looking at these people, I can't imagine that they think all is well. This isn't to say they shouldn't enjoy their lives, but part of that enjoying (and keeping) their lives should be better eating and doing some exercise. I find them painful to look at. 

• Love 3

Whitney makes fun of her parents (especially her mom's) accent all the time.  In fact, she makes fun of her parents no matter what they say.  I couldn't imagine calling my mom a bitch, especially on national television, when her dad wanted to talk to Whitney alone, she said "You bitch" to her mom as her mom left the room.  And her poor dad.  I think he's got really good morals and values when he told Whitney that she's going to be living in sin with Lennie, if he moves in.  She goes on to tell him that she's lived in sin practically her entire adult life.  That really hurt her dad, when he even had to leave the room because of her disrespectful remarks.  

• Love 7

Eh, it's hard for me to have much sympathy for Babs and Glenn. They raised their little darling, after all. And I must say, Glenn's concern with Whitney's sex life is just odd, considering she's well over thirty.  But they both treat her like she's a rebellious teenager, which I have no doubt contributes to her treating them as if she is, also.

• Love 7
On 11/7/2017 at 2:49 PM, TurtlePower said:

I don't think they know who Whitney is and if they do, she's already got a platform--her show. Good thing too, she doesn't deserve any more attention. 

From what you just said, Whitney is NOT a star, or a celebrity like she longs to be.  I sincerely hope she's had her 15 minutes and rides off into the sunset never to be heart of again, unless she's managed to make it to 600 pound life.  Has anyone on 600 pound life claims they were diagnosed with PCOS?  Whitney is such a liar and she's lying to everyone who watches her show.  You can't be fat and healthy.  Period.  She's just fooling herself and others, which is even sadder.  

On 9/17/2017 at 0:22 PM, AZChristian said:

(WARNING:  Not for the faint of heart.)  I agree with their premise that plus-sized people (I am one) are entitled to feel sexy.  I just don't need them to show the whole world . . . just them and their SO is plenty

That is just sick........

• Love 1

WOW....I just went to Hunter Thore's FB page.  He has wiped out everything to do with his sister's show, nor did he list her as a family member like he's done before.  He used to have an ad up on his profile about Whitney's show, but he's taken it all down.  It's like older brother wants nothing to do with his sister's show!!  I wonder....

• Love 9

Y'all. Y'all. I just got home and tuned in to the re-runs and we're at the Twit comes to the hospital to see Babs post-stroke... and I just realized that Bads - in a hospital bed after having had a stroke - looks WAY better and healthier than Twit does. 

• Love 7
10 hours ago, writerchick57 said:

WOW....I just went to Hunter Thore's FB page.  He has wiped out everything to do with his sister's show, nor did he list her as a family member like he's done before.  He used to have an ad up on his profile about Whitney's show, but he's taken it all down.  It's like older brother wants nothing to do with his sister's show!!  I wonder....

We should all be smart enough to scrub Whitney from our life.

• Love 7

@Notyrmama: "Probably veering off topic here, but couldn't Jazz's weight gain be attributed to her taking hormone therapy? I really don't watch this show too much, but she did seem a little more round than last year, but no where near obese or morbidly obese.  For instance, I highly doubt she gained 100 pounds since last year...(I'm talking to you WHITNEY!) maybe 20 or 30 pounds, which I think is common to people on hormone therapy."

Jazz's humongous weight gain is for the same reason as Twit's. No, not PCOS, but eating junk food all day long. Jazz is still eating like a teenage boy which she isn't.

With her new driver's license she takes off periodically to a drive-in where she buys the largest b urger on the menu. Her mom found a hoard of wrappings in a drawer that looked like the floor of Twit's car. Her eating is out of control & can't be blamed on hormones.

And she is obese now.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Dot said:

@Notyrmama: "Probably veering off topic here, but couldn't Jazz's weight gain be attributed to her taking hormone therapy? I really don't watch this show too much, but she did seem a little more round than last year, but no where near obese or morbidly obese.  For instance, I highly doubt she gained 100 pounds since last year...(I'm talking to you WHITNEY!) maybe 20 or 30 pounds, which I think is common to people on hormone therapy."

Jazz's humongous weight gain is for the same reason as Twit's. No, not PCOS, but eating junk food all day long. Jazz is still eating like a teenage boy which she isn't.

With her new driver's license she takes off periodically to a drive-in where she buys the largest b urger on the menu. Her mom found a hoard of wrappings in a drawer that looked like the floor of Twit's car. Her eating is out of control & can't be blamed on hormones.

And she is obese now.

Ok, that's fair, I was only able to watch bits and pieces of that show last night as I was mostly falling asleep (and she looked fine to me, LOL).  Poor kid.  I hope she figures out how to get healthy before she gets too far out of control.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, spankydoll said:

If I called my Mother a bitch she would build a time machine to get back to the 60's and abort me. That would not happen in her world. 

If I had a dime for every time Twit has disrespected her parents on national television, well, I wouldn't be rich but I'd sure be richer than I am right now...LOL

• Love 7

I checked the PTV Forum rules to make sure this is okay and it seems like it is, mods please delete if not allowed! I created a closed FB group (meaning people outside the group can't read the posts, but I will add whoever here wants in) for discussion of Whit and all unpleasantness that is Whit-adjacent. Here is a link: Cat Breath

If the link doesn't work, PM me and we'll trouble-shoot the problem. Again if this is not allowed I am totally fine with removing it! :)

• Love 7

http://www.lifeandstylemag.com/posts/ruby-gettinger-now-151760

For four seasons, we watched as Ruby Gettinger worked with nutritionists, doctors, and trainers to lose weight on her hit Style series Ruby. In 2008, the redhead started the show at 550 pounds, and ended up dropping more than 220 pounds. 

For those hoping to see Ruby on TV again, you may be in luck! The outgoing life coach reveals she's working with a new production company.

Maybe the competition will inspire Whitney to change her ways?

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, editorgrrl said:

http://www.lifeandstylemag.com/posts/ruby-gettinger-now-151760

Maybe the competition will inspire Whitney to change her ways?

I think it's more likely Twit will be inspired to think she will continue to be a reality TV star when MBFFL ends. These people -- Ruby, Mama June, Kardashians, SpHeidi, all the Survivors & Bachelors, etc. -- seem to spend the rest of their lives going from one awful reality show to another, usually as a "celebrity" *snort* & hoping for a new show for themselves. Even Anna, Mama June's eldest daughter, was trying to get her own show for a while. And to steal a quote from a best-selling book: "she is dumb as a brick."

• Love 1