Type keyword(s) to search

Media, Ratings and Scheduling

• Start Topic

I know they've been taping for about the past month, so I'm going to keep that in mind if they do any topical jokes. (Like how Justin Bieber kept coming up in a prior season.)

Apparently Penn & Teller were tapped as guests, as I learned from Penn's podcast. However I was cringing as he was talking because he was so excited about getting to improvise and talking about how he'd been brushing up with his improv friends so he could do a good job. And me sitting here knowing they're just going to be Living Scenery and then have Wayne sing about them.

• Love 4

Well, Whose Line's Facebook released the first preview of the new season with tidbits from Cedric the Entertainer and Penn & Teller. I also heard Bill Nye will be on the show too, which is cool and all. 

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=442225719279134

Now onto the real beef:

Seriously, do the producers/directors like to pretend there is no existence of certain fans who are done with the special guests, doing the same games over and over, and over again? It just seems to me they were trying to base the game structure on the 10 episodes of the "Best of Whose Line" DVD. Yeah it's cool they upped the ante with the celebrity lineup, but for longtime Whose Line fans, I think are certain people who would prefer the guests once or twice in a blue moon (season). 

Personally, I hoped the show would open more leeway for other up-in-coming improvisors. And let's not forget wanting Drew or Chip (oops, I'm sorry, Charles Esten) to be a special 4th seater. I guess the show's formula was enough to earn a stable viewership, so what's the point of breaking it, I guess? 

No but really, is there anyone, anyone, anyone who can answer why the show isn't willing to bend or take risks with the show's concept? Maybe do 6-chair holiday special, have special episodes (perhaps a compilation like the UK version)? Reduce the number of guests the viewers didn't ask for? Is this improv show losing its true identity now that it's a 30-minute primetime SNL with different celebrities? 

• Love 4

While many here don't want to see the guest stars, I wonder how many people outside feel the same way. I have a feeling that the network hopes the guest star will draw in the casual viewer, who after seeing the other skits, will return week after week.

Personally, I would prefer to see less than three regulars like the old British version. While I love all three regulars, it limits how often I can see the guest players. I would also like to see them shorten the segments. I like song styles because we get to hear Ryan and Colin riff and then try to get Wayne to do something they don't think he can, but the songs are long and they only do two or three rather than five or six. Scenes from a Hat usually runs too long. Same with Props. Cutting down some of the skits would allow for another whole skit to be shown. Maybe even some of the classic games that they never or rarely do.

As for having six guests, I think that would be very difficult to do in what is a 22 minute episode. Maybe they could be given a special hour long (44 minutes w/o commercials) episode to have more performers.

Here is a nice interview with Colin Mochrie.  As an improvisor myself, a couple of things stood out to me.

Because the shooting schedule’s short, we only do two weekends out of the year. It’s fast and furious, and in most of those weekends we can get 30 shows. So yeah, I think it can keep going as long as our hips hold up.

I can't imagine doing 30 shows in 1 weekend, let alone shooting them for TV?

And I liked these couple of quotes about doing improv.  These are so, so true.

So basically it’s just sticking to the rules of improv. You have to make sure to have fun. You have to make sure the person you’re working with is having fun. It really isn’t a secret.

That’s one of the great things about improv. I’m just as surprised as the audience as to where it’s going to go.

• Love 2

Has anyone heard of a return date?

Not yet. They taped last month so the episodes are ready to go. (As, I understand, are 4 unaired ones from last year.)  But no announcement that I heard. It's probably a summer run again.

• Love 2

First trailer of the new season ft. a brief snippet of Chip Charles Esten! (and some other guests to pad out the special guest spot) My guess for the lack of Chip in the trailer is for longtime WL viewers (like myself) to keep the nostalgia hype under wraps until the season begins, which is fine because I don't want a trailer to spoil the experience and humor of the episode. I really hope the Chip tapings will kick off the season if we longtime viewers have to linger in Chip's less than one-second clip.

Also, considering why Chip finally makes an appearance since WL's revival makes sense because of his stable status in the country superstar world with Nashville and his Every Single Friday project, and 2017 seems to be the right time to publicize himself beyond the usual demographics. Now the "Nashies" who haven't experienced Chip's comedic stint will finally get a taste of it. Clever timing, boy :3 

• Love 1

My biggest complaint is the limited number of games that they do. I miss Super Heroes, Mission not so Impossible, Greatest Hits, Sound Effects, Film Dub, and many others. I would be happy to see much less of Helping Hands and Moving Scenery. I do love the new game where all of their lines have to come from text messages. I get that CW wants to do cross promotion, so do Song Styles and have them sing to/about the guest star and then leave him or her out of the rest of the show. 

• Love 1

The guests take up too much time.

I could do without Living Scenery forever.

I love Film Dub, Party Quirks and that game where they went to a special set and laid down, it was riotously funny.

• Love 1
(edited)

Just saw that this is coming back tonight (6/4).  Just missed it - I'm sure I can catch the rerun at some point.

ETA - there are 2 episodes, listed as S6E1 & S6E2.  I guess the listings are counting the seasons differently than they are here.

Edited by SoMuchTV

News! Colin Mochrie just tweeted that they’ll be back for a final taping session in January. We’ll just have to wait and see (a) how many episodes will be created out of that and (b) whether they start midseason or next fall. 

• Useful 3
On 2/1/2023 at 12:34 PM, LizDC said:

12 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

WHOSE LINE IS IT ANYWAY? (Season 12 Premiere)    TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 14

Wait, so it's cancelled?  Not cancelled?  Is this season just the airings of what was previously taped?

21 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:
On 2/1/2023 at 12:34 PM, LizDC said:

Expand  

34 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

WHOSE LINE IS IT ANYWAY? (Season 12 Premiere)    TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 14

Wait, so it's cancelled?  Not cancelled?  Is this season just the airings of what was previously taped?

I am pretty sure they are showing the episodes mentioned in the tweet, the show is cancelled, but the last episodes they taped haven't aired yet.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
On 10/23/2023 at 12:09 PM, seacliffsal said:

This makes me both happy and sad.  Happy that it's back, sad that it's the final season.  But, we never know...just like previous iterations of this show, it may yet return down the road.

I wonder if there are any young people out in the world doing the level of improv that could hold a torch to what this team has managed to create. I'm sure there are people doing it all over the place, but how do we find the geniuses and get them on TV?

• Like 1
On 10/22/2023 at 10:55 PM, Sarah 103 said:

In case anyone else was wondering when the new and final season would start.

https://www.tvguide.com/news/the-cw-fall-tv-shows-2023-the-complete-schedule/

Tuesday, Nov. 14
9 p.m.: Whose Line Is It Anyway? — Season 12 premiere
9:30 p.m.: Whose Line Is It Anyway? — New episode

Bumping this to remind anyone who's still following that there are new episodes tonight.  YouTubeTV and IMDB call it Season 13; TitanTV calls it Season 21.  Tune in for What Season is it Anyway?

• Like 1