Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E06: Bill's Surgery

• Start Topic

I don't have kids and even I know they go through a phase where they say 'no' to anything and everything. And what if he won't miss them? He's suppose to lie? He doesn't know them as well as Jen's mom because he probably doesn't seem them as much and I'm sure Bill's parents understand that.  "Kid's say the darndest things" was a TV show for a reason.  Also didn't see any harm in Will telling Jen to be quiet.  Actually he told her to quit talking to Bill and then Jen said "well can I talk to you?" and Will said "yep"  so maybe he wanted to talk to his Mom. 

• Love 7

It isnt just one or two things, I see a pattern where Will can be disrespectful to his family, especially his mother. Truth be told, Will has no concept of family. He was in an orphanage and had no family, just really good caregivers. He is attached to Bill which is terrific. But I think Bill and Jen could do a better job of educating him about the importance of family. Including Bill's mom and "popeye". These are some of the people who will be there for him unconditionally for the rest of their lives and may have a greater role in his life should any misfortune befall Jen or Bill. So yes, it would be a good thing if Will could say yes to questions about missing his grandparents, even ones he doesnt see often, but that is up to Jen and Bill to get him to understand sooner rather than later.

• Love 3

Maybe he doesn't know what "Miss" means. My mentally delayed child has a problem where he agrees with the last thing said when given a choice. Are you happy or sad- sad? Do you want blue or red? red. Even if they are really the first thing said. That is common. I don't defend Will's behavior and their bad disciplining but I really think in this case the NO was just rote, no thought put into it. 

• Love 1

I agree but here's the flip side: Bill is the one telling viewers that Will is on par with kids his age. And many folks here concur that Will understands a great deal but cannot express it back. I just hope he gave them a hug when Bill's mom and popeye left.

• Love 2

Hey, lets consider that Bill doesn't know any better. He doesn't spend a lot time with 4 yos, Will is his first child, and Bill is from a smaller family. Maybe he really does thing everything is fine? Kids are so resilient and adaptable, Bill may turn out to be right.

• Love 9

Amy Roloff said that dwarf or little person is polite. The "M" word is not.

The Roloffs aren't consistent on the "M" word dislike. They also didn't have a problem with Chelsea Handler calling them "little nuggets".

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem *not* calling someone "m*****", and I avoid the term, but the little people community is not consistent on this one.

• Love 4

Maybe the reason that Bill and Jen don't correct Will is because he is delayed. Maybe they don't hold him to the same standard as other children his age.

That's what I'm starting to think. A lot of his mannerisms are very babyish, so it would help explain things. I think Zoe seems to be more typical for a child her age.

• Love 2

I agree but here's the flip side: Bill is the one telling viewers that Will is on par with kids his age. And many folks here concur that Will understands a great deal but cannot express it back. I just hope he gave them a hug when Bill's mom and popeye left.

In some areas he has implied that and I don't think he's been wrong to do that either, but my point was coming from Will being compared to the average five year old when it comes to things such as bonds with family members or his speech, two big areas in his life where he didn't get off to the best start.

These are issues that Jen and Bill have discussed and expressed both concern about and also happiness and joy that he's doing better than they thought he might, that he is improving and by how much in rather short periods of time.

I do believe Jen and Bill are dealing with Will as who he is, what sort of person he is, and that can mean all sorts of different things, depending on the day, the situation, if he's hungry or not, heh, or sleepy, whatever the case may be.

I don't believe that they are thinking that he has to meet the milestones of the average five year old at every turn is my point, because obviously he isn't in certain areas of life but they aren't pretending otherwise. I think they speak highly of his progress and make comparisons whenever and wherever they apply when it comes to him fitting in with his age group

And I can't speak for anyone else on what Will may or may not understand, but personally I think there's been a good bit of proof that his overall comprehension is a work in progress. But I also think that's to be expected all things considered.

I believe that Will gave them a hug if he felt up to it, heh, but in all seriousness I don't think they left thinking their grandson didn't like them. The last we saw of them they were leading the kids off to have a bath and get them ready for bed, I assume things ended rather positively.

• Love 9

Maybe he doesn't know what "Miss" means. My mentally delayed child has a problem where he agrees with the last thing said when given a choice. Are you happy or sad- sad? Do you want blue or red? red. Even if they are really the first thing said. That is common. I don't defend Will's behavior and their bad disciplining but I really think in this case the NO was just rote, no thought put into it. 

In fairness to Will, I also believe it's completely possible that he did not comprehend the word "miss" in this context and just answered "no" because he felt like it.  However I also agree that he's in need of some "emotional education" - learning that your family loves you and takes care of you and will always be there when you need them. This is important for all children, especially adoptees. Jen did go down that street once on camera - when having lunch after the swim lesson - when she told Will [paraphasing] that "Mommy and Daddy will always be your friends and will always love you - and no matter where you go you will always come home to our house - this is your home..."  He will certainly hear about this concept in pre-school but it should always start in the home. I'm sure Bill and Jen have pointed out in the past who's who in photos - "this is Grandpa Klein, this is Uncle Tommy..." etc. The kids seemed very at ease with extended family at their baptisms for example.

• Love 1

I just rewatched the episode. I have the same question that someone else asked previously. Why does Jen continue to refer to Bill as BABA? At this point, Will and Zoey always call him Daddy. In my opinion, Jen always seems a little out of step with her children.

Maybe because all the merchandise on The Arnold-Klein website has "BABA" written on it not Daddy!

Edited by Foghorn Leghorn
  • Love 3
Will and Zoey always call him Daddy

Not all the time. A recent episode had Zoey yelling for "Baba" when Bill was upstairs I think, and Will has said "Baba" quite a few times this season as well. They go back and forth between that term and "Daddy" probably because they hear the other kids they're around call their fathers "Daddy" as "Baba" would be more foreign to most.

"Baba" is the first name they ever called Bill and it has special meaning to them, imo, and it's no different than a lot of parents who stick with the first name even as their children swap out that name and use another more frequently.

I know growing up my mother always referred to my father as "Daddy" when she addressed him to us, and still does, even long after my brother and I had stopped calling him that and called him our own chosen names. And even then we differed, I stuck with "Dad" while he often calls him "Pa" or "Pop".

• Love 3

I think Jen is always going to be a little out of step with the kids as she works full time and Bill is the primary parent the kids interact with. She had to ask Bill if it mattered which sippy cup was given to which child. Turns out it was water and did not matter. If I have the wrong episode in this thread, i am sorry. If roles were reversed, Bill would probably be asking her the same thing.

• Love 1

I think the point was Jen is calling Bill by that name not Will.  Will seems to have outgrown the term.    

I don't believe he has since he does still use it and so does Zoey, and it hasn't been due to Jen or anyone else prompting them, they just call him that sometimes and sometimes they call him "Daddy".

In the episodes I've heard them use both terms interchangeably without making a big deal of it, and unless my closed captioning translates "Daddy" into "Baba" I wasn't mishearing them, heh.

• Love 3

Not all the time. A recent episode had Zoey yelling for "Baba" when Bill was upstairs I think, and Will has said "Baba" quite a few times this season as well. They go back and forth between that term and "Daddy" probably because they hear the other kids they're around call their fathers "Daddy" as "Baba" would be more foreign to most.

"Baba" is the first name they ever called Bill and it has special meaning to them, imo, and it's no different than a lot of parents who stick with the first name even as their children swap out that name and use another more frequently.

I know growing up my mother always referred to my father as "Daddy" when she addressed him to us, and still does, even long after my brother and I had stopped calling him that and called him our own chosen names. And even then we differed, I stuck with "Dad" while he often calls him "Pa" or "Pop".

THIS! My grandson has different names for each of his four grandmothers, but he'll occasionally call me by just my given name, particularly when he hears his parents or grandpa call me that. While I correct him on that, I wouldn't if he used Grammy or Grandmother. "Baba" and "Daddy" are both respectful, yet interchangable. No need for them to make an issue of it.

• Love 1

There are a lot of families where both parents work full time. Do the children in these families have neither parent in step with them? I don't think that working full time should be an excuse to not keep in tune with your children.

I don't think anyone is making excuses - or assigning blame - for a parent being "out of tune." It is, however, probably true that in most families, there's one parent who may be a little less familiar with the kids' routines, likes/dislikes etc. Usually this is because one parent - for whatever reason - spends more time involved in child care activities. Back in the day when all fathers worked and all mothers stayed at home, this was undeniably fathers in nearly every case. Now when so many families have two working-outside-the-home parents, it could be either. I've worked with many families where the fathers were every bit as "in-step" with their kids as the mothers were. I've also worked with families where I was surprised at how little one parent knew - and it was not always the fathers.

Edited by NausetGirl
  • Love 3

I do feel for Bill.  I had some back pain for one year and have no idea how people tolerate it.  Man, I can't even imagine. I really pray he's better. 

I think Bill and Jen are super people and probably better at parenting than many are, but I am a little surprised that the kids seemingly aren't required to comply with much.  I hope it's just the cameras and things are different off camera.  I'm sure that the kids are required to comply with things at school.  I have a special needs child in my family and they are required to comply with things that are within their abilities.  Those kids, according to their parents, are super smart and very capable.  I think their parents will ensure they learn what they need to learn.  Parenting is a process.  Bill and Jen are two of my favorite people in the world, so I have no doubt things will turn around in that regard. Still, I see no problem coming here to share my thoughts about it.  It's a reality show.  I'm sure by now they know this goes along with the territory.

I was a little surprised to see a toy gun on Halloween.  I'm sensitive about things like that. I realize others aren't.  I wonder if it was contributed by grandma.  ??

• Love 1

I don't know how to reply to a specific post. I'm trying to answer the question about why Jen calls Bill "Baba", when Will doesn't use it much, if at all. I believe in an early episode they explained that "Baba" was "Daddy" in Chinese, or some dialect that Will would have heard in the orphanage. So Jen probably still uses it to keep that connection to his heritage.

I do feel for Bill.  I had some back pain for one year and have no idea how people tolerate it.  Man, I can't even imagine. I really pray he's better. 

I think Bill and Jen are super people and probably better at parenting than many are, but I am a little surprised that the kids seemingly aren't required to comply with much.  I hope it's just the cameras and things are different off camera.  I'm sure that the kids are required to comply with things at school.  I have a special needs child in my family and they are required to comply with things that are within their abilities.  Those kids, according to their parents, are super smart and very capable.  I think their parents will ensure they learn what they need to learn.  Parenting is a process.  Bill and Jen are two of my favorite people in the world, so I have no doubt things will turn around in that regard. Still, I see no problem coming here to share my thoughts about it.  It's a reality show.  I'm sure by now they know this goes along with the territory.

I was a little surprised to see a toy gun on Halloween.  I'm sensitive about things like that. I realize others aren't.  I wonder if it was contributed by grandma.  ??

I didn't like the toy gun either.   I hope it was only because it went with the character/costume.

• Love 1

Jen might have passed Chemistry but she doesn't have it with those kids especially Will!  

I also think when Will was crying for his Baba at school he might have been asked "who is Baba?" by his teachers or other kids who might be thinking it was a favorite toy or something and maybe he was asked to say Daddy so everyone knew who he was talking about.  Just a thought.  

Edited by Foghorn Leghorn
  • Love 1

I think Will was supposed to be Sheriff Woody from Toy Story, according to some details of the costume I have heard about.  And Sheriff Woody doesn't carry a gun, only an empty holster.  Still, it could be that gun attitudes are different in Texas.  It really bothers me though.  It's a personal decision for a parent to make, but I was quite shocked.

• Love 2

I was a little surprised to see a toy gun on Halloween.  I'm sensitive about things like that. I realize others aren't.  I wonder if it was contributed by grandma.  ??

Sorry, I had more toy guns  than Barbies growing up. I've never shot anyone. I haven't rampaged, Cars kill more people than guns by far but everyone fucking loves it when Bill hands his son the toy version of a deadly device. The kid was dressed up as a cowboy - I would have been shocked if there wasn't a toy gun with the costume.

• Love 11

Jen might have passed Chemistry but she doesn't have it with those kids especially Will!  

I also think when Will was crying for his Baba at school he might have been asked "who is Baba?" by his teachers or other kids who might be thinking it was a favorite toy or something and maybe he was asked to say Daddy so everyone knew who he was talking about.  Just a thought.

I thought the time Jen and Zoey were at the beach and together in the pink car showed a really close bond between them. I also believe one parent is generally more concerned about some things the other would just let slide. Those define Jen's and Bill's overall personalities, so why would it change with regard to their parenting?

• Love 5

I think the gun was part of the costume. I've never seen Will play with toy guns on the show, he seems to favor toy trains and cars.

As far as Baba vs. Daddy, I think both kids will end up sticking with the latter term as they grow older and become more "Americanized."

• Love 2

I think Will was supposed to be Sheriff Woody from Toy Story, according to some details of the costume I have heard about.  And Sheriff Woody doesn't carry a gun, only an empty holster.  Still, it could be that gun attitudes are different in Texas.  It really bothers me though.  It's a personal decision for a parent to make, but I was quite shocked.

Oh, I had no idea the character didn't carry a gun. I totally agree with your opinion on the subject of toy guns.   I know that none of my daughters friends ever had guns, we just lived in a place where its not acceptable anymore, which I was happy about.    I would never let my child play with a gun.

I think the gun was part of the costume. I've never seen Will play with toy guns on the show, he seems to favor toy trains and cars.

As far as Baba vs. Daddy, I think both kids will end up sticking with the latter term as they grow older and become more "Americanized."

I think you are right.    Did anyone else notice/remember that in addition to the two new fancy kiddie cars, Will also has a Mercedes kiddie car.  I remember seeing it in the garage.     

• Love 3

I just rewatched the episode. I have the same question that someone else asked previously. Why does Jen continue to refer to Bill as BABA? At this point, Will and Zoey always call him Daddy. In my opinion, Jen always seems a little out of step with her children.

Bill referred to himself as Baba while talking to Will in this episode, too.

In my opinion, it's much ado about nothing.  My brother coined my nickname when he couldn't pronounce my given name.  My Mum calls me by the nickname to this day, even though my brother quickly learned how to call me by my given name.  No big deal.  I love the nickname; it's a special bond between me & my Mum.

• Love 3

I thought the time Jen and Zoey were at the beach and together in the pink car showed a really close bond between them. I also believe one parent is generally more concerned about some things the other would just let slide. Those define Jen's and Bill's overall personalities, so why would it change with regard to their parenting?

Completely missing the connection to my quoted post?  

I find Jen to be very nurturing and loving. She's not cold, or emotionally distant. When she sees Bill playing with the children, her face lights up. Just because she doesn't get down on the floor to play or give out hugs (at least on camera) doesn't mean she is not bonded with Will.

She realizes that Bill's bond is very strong and she encourages their interactions.

I think Zoey is well-adjusted to both parents, which is great.

If Bill and Jen are a little lax in discipline, I'd rather see that than to see them harsh or standoffish with their own children.

• Love 10

It takes years to raise children.  It is not an overnight thing, it won't happen instantaneously.    You cannot judge parents until they turn out an end product (adult, not toddler, preschooler or even teen, but an actual adult). 

Edited by wrestlesflamingos
removed command
  • Love 5

Yes, this is often repeated. Is it really that unusual? Is Jen wrong, and or a bad person, for feeling a little jealous? Does this one comment forever mark her as the lesser parent?

I mean, to be perfectly honest, I don't see Bill bothered by it. He also doesn't seem keen to include Zoey in the masculine adventures of "Bill and Will" or to participate in the girly things. While I personally don't like how gender specific they are, its not child abuse.

I don't think it's at all unusual either. Jen is not wrong to feel envious that Bill can be the stay-at-home parent. She's now a mom and naturally wants to be close to her kids. And let's remember, she has a fair amount of the competitive gene in her system. I'm sure if she could, she'd be BOTH a full-time physician and a SAHM.

Also, I'm willing to bet if it was Bill saying that he was jealous of her relationship with the kids, everyone would be all "Awww..... - isn't he sweet?" 

Edited by NausetGirl
  • Love 7

When I watched the show, I had a question. Last year when Jen was sick, they skipped trick or treating. This year when Bill was sick, they went ahead with it. I wonder why? Even if they felt that Zoey wasn't ready last year, Bill could have taken Will out trick or treating.

I think when Jen was sick they said they tried to stay home as best they could so that Bill or the kids didn't catch anything from someone else since Jen could get sick easily.  I think it was something like that.  They were probably just trying to stay away from large groups of people and kids. 

Edited by gunderda
  • Love 8

My kids did pretty much every thing Will and Zoe do that everyone is upset over. My son sucked his thumb into his teens. The other was in diapers until almost 4. My developmentally normal daughter didn't say more than 10 words until she was well past 3.. This would cause some here  to have a fit of apoplexy . My kids would prefer one parent for a year or two and then switch to the other parent for a while, depending on development stage.     They are all full grown adults now. We are all close. The son with diaper issues is in the Army, no diapers allowed. The thumbsucker is a film student.  Once my daughter did start talking she never stopped. And I mean never.

I don't think I ever got down on the floor and played wth, my kids

Edited by JennyMominFL
  • Love 16

I can think of many reason why they may not have trick or treated. Bill didn't feel well, His back was hurting. He didn't want to leave Jen as sick as she was. Also, and i say this as someone who lives with a compromised immune system, It is different to hand people outside, candy from your own house, than it is to knock on other peoples doors, possibly enter their foyer and to collect candy from numerous peoples germy hands and then bring it home to your wife who is on chemo.  Maybe they thought that since Will was so little  last year that he wouldn't remember it , or even realize it was going on anyway, whereas this year he was old enough to really enjoy, participate and remember it.    There are just so many possible reasons why they didn't do it.

Edited by JennyMominFL
  • Love 13

But everyone is different. Some children are different because they learn so easily and years before their peers, that can be difficult. Some children are extraordinarily tall and everybody thinks they are older than they are and gives them dirty looks for acting so young. Some children need speech therapy. Some children have a rather wimpy outlook on life's challenges, and they are teased. Etc. Etc. Every child I have every known has been significantly outside the norm in some way for at least some period of his/her life. It's actually good because the child develops both strategies for coping and empathy. 

Absolutely true. Every child experiences situations growing up where they feel comfortable and others in which they feel ill-equipped, even unaccepted. The reasons are as myriad as the situations. And each child handles these situations in different ways as well, because of their own personalities, how they've been raised so far etc. A mixture of nature and nurture. An outgoing, extroverted kid might barrel into a new classroom on the first day without a care in the world. A more introverted child might hide behind his mother while he scopes out the "lay of the land." But it is necessary for children to be subjected to new and different situations. Each child needs to learn how to cope in his own way. The child that is so indulged or overprotected that he never experiences uncertainty or unpleasant situations in childhood is in for a very rough time as an adult.

Edited by Wellfleet
  • Love 4

I've deleted a lot of off topic posts from this thread. The episode threads are for discussion of the episode. Please take banter and chat to the Small Talk thread and general observations about the Klein's to The Humans thread.

Banter includes anecdotes about parenting, comparisons to children you've known, personal child care expertise, and anything that is about you, and how you relate to the show or each other.

I'm sorry about some of the posts we lost and the irritation. Please help me avoid this in the future by using the threads available to you.

• Love 6

For the most part I think they say Baba after Jen has said it, simply repeating what she has said. I am sure she has said daddy and they say daddy. I think its fine Baba or daddy and of course the occasional "Beel". Lol!!
  • Love 1

This was a really enjoyable episode, not that seeing Bill go through surgery is enjoyable, but I like seeing their families and the interactions it makes them seem human. A lot of time I think Bill and Jen want to come off as perfect and not needing any help when in fact they do. It was nice to see his parents helping post surgery. The trick or treating was adorable. Zoey is clearly right where a 3 year old should be developmentally while Will is not. He is sharp as a tack in understanding what he is being told but his delivery is definately delayed. I think the fact that he couldn't get the saying trick or treat is not such a big deal, he understood that the point is to ask for a treat so he said I want treat. He still doesn't speak in sentences and his speech is choppy but remember he couldn't hear for the first almost 3 years of his life and it's only been a year since his surgery. I believe that Zoey will probably help Will with his development. Back to the trick or treat, Jen was so obsessed imo, for him to say to say it but, I was relieved that after Will said I want treat her friend Susan said that is good enough but, Jen still pushed the trick or treat.

• Love 2

This is not quite the same but I had a friend whose little brother grew  up in a home  where the family spoke English and Portuguese. This little boy didn't speak for ages. He was 2, not words, then 3 ,no words. Then somewhere around 4 he started speaking both languages.  Everyone was afraid he was never going to talk.

Will spent 2+ years hearing Chinese and I believe some English. He also had a hearing problem. All of these things sound like a recipe for major speech delays. It is the normal progression of langage learning to first learn to understand ,and then to speak the language. I have studied 4 languages. Spanish in HS, French in college, and Italian and German on my own. First  came the ability to read it(something not germaine this topic, due to Wills age), next came the ability to understand language, last came the ability to really speak the language.

If I am in Germany  I can usually  understand what someone says but formulating a response comes very slowly and is certainly not made of complex sentences. I probably speak German and Italian a lot like Will speaks English now.

As  I have also studied some linguistics, that seems to be standard. After all as babies we listen listen, and listen some more, and then, somewhere in our second year, usually early, words start. Sentences really start coming somewhere in the 2 1/2 to 3 year range. So it is 2 1/2 years plus years of processing langauge before we are really ability to respond in sentences. Will issues, being in a bilingual environment ,and have a hearing issue that was corrected ,probably puts him right about where he should be for someone with someone with  his obsticles. Yes, he is certainly behind the average child, but he not really behind for someone with his unique issues. 

ETA that I am only trying to speak of his language delays. not of any other issues

Edited by JennyMominFL
  • Love 8

If they let people come to their door, then they probably weren't worried about germs. If it wasn't that, I wonder why Bill didn't take Will trick or treating last year.

They said several times last year that they were holed up in the house because Jen could not be exposed to any illnesses, germs, etc. while undergoing treatment. Makes sense to me. 

I thought it was funny, when they were trick or treating. When they asked Will what he would say when he went to the door, he answered "William" in the exact same tone that his parents use when they say it.

I have also noticed he is an excellent mimic.

• Love 2

He's a very funny little boy. He seems to have a great sense of humor. He'd be the death of me, I'd have such a hard time being angry with his sunny little face when he was in trouble. He takes such joy in everything, I could see him doing things he knows are wrong but being so happy about it. Cheeky little thing!

• Love 2

Gleeps, Trixie, that seems reasonable! :D

<flaunts sporty Bob White jacket>

*Bob White Whistle*...I was so surprised to see someone's username as 'Trixie Belden', then your 'Bob White' jacket comment....I loved Trixie Belden books as a kid, and just last week, downloaded the 1st 3 books onto my Kindle and am reading them! I just finished the 2nd book today & have started the 3rd.  I love them just as much, if not more, as an adult as I did as a kid back in the '70's. I love the ones written by the original author.  Thank you for allowing me to share my memories...

Now, onto the episode..I did not see the segment of Bill's surgery yet.  The 2 times I turned it on, they were at the dinner table and Bill's mom asked Will if he will miss them.. He said 'no'. I am sure Will did not mean 'you can leave here and I will not care one way or the other.'.  I am pretty sure Will does not understand what is meant by that question.  He probably does not understand the concept yet that they are leaving to go to another state and he will not see them again for a while.  Just a thought.

The costumes were cute.  I personally do not have an issue with the toy gun as Will was not pulling it out shooting it at anyone, that I noticed.  When we were at Disneyland a few months ago, there was a Toy Story ride where we had 'gun' type controller and were 'shooting' objects as we rode past them.  Again,  just my opinion. 

What I found adorable was when they went to that first house and Will & Zoey went into the house.  It was someone they obviously knew.  He went right for the guitar.  The man came over and held one end up for him.  Will made this hilarious face like he was rocking out.  I rewound it and watched it twice, it was so funny!

Edited by alegtostandon
  • Love 2

This episode really got to me. I'm a nurse and I have been doing Orthopedics /neuroscience the past 10 years. Bill needing fluid resuscitation, 4 units of blood and being kept on a ventilator for 12 hour post surgery let me know how serious his situation was. Most patients are on the floor, breathing on their on, don't require a blood infusion and are up and walking within 24 hours of the surgery start time.

I'm a former recovery room/critical care nurse.  I think Bill stayed on the vent because of a combination of blood loss, amount of time under general anesthesia, and the anatomical problems unique to a little person's airway.  I'm surprised he hadn't been given the option to donate his own blood ahead of time.

They seemed to do an appropriate amount of letting the kids know what's going on without frightening them.  Since Will and Zoey are likely to need surgeries at some point, it's great for them to see first hand that things get better.

I thought we were told that both Will and Zoey are lucky to have a different form of dwarfism than Bill and Jen, and they would be much less likely to need multiple surgeries.

I didn't like it either.  I thought to myself - I know this is Texas, but is it appropriate to point your toy gun at someone as you say "Trick or Treat"?  Seems more like a robbery.  They should have taught them to say, "this is a stick up".

• Love 1

I didn't like it either.  I thought to myself - I know this is Texas, but is it appropriate to point your toy gun at someone as you say "Trick or Treat"?  Seems more like a robbery.  They should have taught them to say, "this is a stick up".

Ok, I did not realize he pointed the gun at people as he said 'TREAT'...now, that, I do not agree with.  I thought it was simply a prop with his costume that stayed in the holster.  I rescind my previous comment.  The moment he did that, it should have been taken away from him.

• Love 3

I don't know if they ever explained to the children what Trick or Treat meant. If they did, perhaps Will would have had a clue! I doubt if he understood either Trick or Treat.

This may sound shocking coming from a preschool teacher, but I don't think we will ever break preschool boys of the habit of making guns out of Lego's, Playdough, or toast! It almost seems hard-wired, like the fascination with wheels. Of course we tell them that it's not appropriate in school, but I don't know if their parents are that vigilant, and for sure once they're out of parents' sight they will resume playing with "guns" - including real guns, unfortunately.

• Love 7