Type keyword(s) to search

Trailers & New Movies: Coming Soon to a Cinema Near You!

• Start Topic

Valarian and the City of a Thousand Planets.

Have no idea what to really think.  It looks like a mixture of Luc Besson's The Fifth Element, along with Jupiter's Ascending, with a dash of the Mass Effect video game series.  If nothing else, I at least expect it won't be boring.  Although I hope Cara Delevingne is way better in this compared to her time on Suicide Squad.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Although I hope Cara Delevingne is way better in this compared to her time on Suicide Squad.

The only things that give me pause are the two leads. Cara mainly, but also Dane Dahaan because he seems a bit miscast (from what little I know about the character he's supposed to be). Otherwise this looks great -- please be good!

• Love 2
4 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Have no idea what to really think.  It looks like a mixture of Luc Besson's The Fifth Element, along with Jupiter's Ascending, with a dash of the Mass Effect video game series.  If nothing else, I at least expect it won't be boring.  Although I hope Cara Delevingne is way better in this compared to her time on Suicide Squad.

It's based on a French graphic novel series, though I know nothing of what they're about.

5 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

This looks horrible and I don't understand the plot. 

And I don't like Cara Delevingne. I don't get how she is a model at all she is in not model material IMO and she's a horrible actress. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Jazzy24 said:

This looks horrible and I don't understand the plot. 

And I don't like Cara Delevingne. I don't get how she is a model at all she is in not model material IMO and she's a horrible actress. 

It's just a hype trailer. As much as I love it, there isn't any plot that I can discern. Maybe the next trailer.

I feel like if that had a good script they would have gotten better actors than DaneDehaan (I like him, but he's def nowhere near A-list) and Cara Delevigne (I like her too, but I don't think she's a very good actress).

Besson has been more miss than hit lately. And I'm a bit mad they kept the the male hero Valerian in the title but left out his female, equally prominent partner Laureline, since the French graphic novel is actually called Valerian and Laureline.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, KatWay said:

I feel like if that had a good script they would have gotten better actors than DaneDehaan (I like him, but he's def nowhere near A-list) and Cara Delevigne (I like her too, but I don't think she's a very good actress).

Besson has been more miss than hit lately. And I'm a bit mad they kept the the male hero Valerian in the title but left out his female, equally prominent partner Laureline, since the French graphic novel is actually called Valerian and Laureline.

Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher weren't exactly household names when the first Star Wars movie came out.

On ‎11‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 10:07 PM, Joe said:

Kong: Skull Island. Looks entertaining. Not high art, but entertaining is enough. Aso, those skullcrawlers look similar to the MUTOs from the 2014 Godzilla. I know there's been rumblings of a new King Kong vs Godzilla movie...

It's more than rumblings.  This Kong movie takes place in a "shared universe" with Godzilla.  They made the Kong in this movie ten times bigger so that it can eventually fight Godzilla.  Kong vs Godzilla comes out in a few years.

• Love 1

The Mummy

I don't care what people say: I enjoyed the hell out of the first two (the third one with Jet Li kind of lost me).  They were cheesy and dumb, but John Hannah was hilarious, Rachel Weisz was awesome, Oded Fehr was badass, Arnold Vosloo managed to make the mummy actually sympathetic at times, and Brendan Fraser was likable and charming enough to make up for whatever weaknesses he has an actor.  So, I'm not quite sure I'm down for it being turned into a more dark and generic Tom Cruise vehicle.  Also, why is he the only one who gets any kind of billing, while Russell Crowe is right there, with an Academy Award Winner title to his name?  Still, Sofia Boutella as Scary and Sexy Mummy will likely make me watch it.  

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 6

Yeah, the first two were just so much fun. This... interesting. I'll have to see some more before I can make a judgement. However, a plane crash like that? There shouldn't be enough of Tom Cruise to fill a body bag, let alone a perfect corpse. I hope that that's explained at some point. And if he can come back, what about the other soldiers on the plane?

• Love 1
42 minutes ago, Joe said:

No. This isn't a sequel. It's a different take on the whole mummy idea, allegedly.

Yes, my understanding this is the launch of another movie "universe" of monsters.  Also, it's clearly set in modern day, which would make Brendan Fraser's character, were he to exist in this universe, like 100 years old.

Edited by dusang
5 hours ago, dusang said:

Yes, my understanding this is the launch of another movie "universe" of monsters.  Also, it's clearly set in modern day, which would make Brendan Fraser's character, were he to exist in this universe, like 100 years old.

Yes, yet another studio "borrowing" the idea from the MCU. Hollywood lives by the Deep Throat code (no, not that one. Well, maybe....) "Follow the money."

Yes, this movie starts the "Universal Monster Shared Universe".  Tom Cruise plays the "connector/Iron Man" of this franchise. Russell Crowe is Dr. Jekyl, Johnny Depp is Invisible Man, Javier Bardem or Dwayne Johnson as the Wolfman, and Angelina Jolie as the Bride of Frankenstein.

13 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

The Mummy

What the heck was that? And why is Sofia Boutella perpetually cast as alien/foreign/abnormal? I'm probably one of the few Americans left who still finds Tom Cruise to be a decent actor, but I don't know what this is.  Tom, you could have given me a sequel to Edge of Tomorrow, dammit! 

If loving 90s/00s The Mummy is wrong, I don't want to be right.  They hold up very well - the cast is great, and they're entertaining.  We shall not speak of the 3rd.  

• Love 5
17 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

The Mummy

I don't care what people say: I enjoyed the hell out of the first two (the third one with Jet Li kind of lost me).  They were cheesy and dumb, but John Hannah was hilarious, Rachel Weisz was awesome, Oded Fehr was badass, Arnold Vosloo managed to make the mummy actually sympathetic at times, and Brendan Fraser was likable and charming enough to make up for whatever weaknesses he has an actor.  So, I'm not quite sure I'm down for it being turned into a more dark and generic Tom Cruise vehicle.  Also, why is he the only one who gets any kind of billing, while Russell Crowe is right there, with an Academy Award Winner title to his name?  Still, Sofia Boutella as Scary and Sexy Mummy will likely make me watch it.  

I also loved the first two Mummy movies, and while this has none of the light tone of the Brendan Fraser version, I can sort of see what Cruise is after with his iteration. And as you say, I'd probably watch it at least once for Boutella.

I just heard about this one today. It seems neither like those completely saccharine heartwarming movies or those pretentious symbolism movies. It definitely feels like the kind of thing you wait to watch on Netflix.

Well! That looks very different from Nolan's usual stuff. What's his take on a war movie going to be like? The trailer doesn't really show that much in terms of the characters or plot.

The cinematography in this looks stunning, at least. No green screen there, looks like filmed on location quite a lot.

• Love 1

Some of it was actually filmed at Dunkirk.

Nice! I kept thinking the film looked old-fashioned (for lack of a better word) when I was watching the trailer, then I realised that's because it looks like there's almost no computer generated effects. It's so rare these days for action type movies I was almost taken aback. The budget for this must be enormous though, if they really mostly use practical effects and filmed on location...

12 hours ago, KatWay said:

Nice! I kept thinking the film looked old-fashioned (for lack of a better word) when I was watching the trailer, then I realised that's because it looks like there's almost no computer generated effects. It's so rare these days for action type movies I was almost taken aback. The budget for this must be enormous though, if they really mostly use practical effects and filmed on location...

Nolan is pretty famous for using practical effects wherever he can, including sequences that would probably be a lot easier to do with CGI. Examples include the hallway fight in Inception and the chase scene in The Dark Knight.

You're right about the budget though, it must be huge. But Nolan's recent run at the box office means he can probably do what he wants for now, at least until one of his movies flops*. Even Interstellar, which was pretty divisive, made nearly 700 million worldwide, a huge number for an original title these days. It'll be interesting to see if he can still draw his usual audience for a non-genre film.

*I wonder if that would convince him to play the franchise game again? Given what a disaster their attempt at launching a DC universe has been, WB would probably be willing to give him whatever he wanted (including funding for an original project or two) in exchange for his return to the fold.

Edited by AshleyN

You're right about the budget though, it must be huge. But Nolan's recent run at the box office means he can probably do what he wants for now, at least until one of his movies flops*. Even Interstellar, which was pretty divisive, made nearly 700 million worldwide, a huge number for an original title these days. It'll be interesting to see if he can still draw his usual audience for a non-genre film.

I think Dunkirk is going to be a hard sell, to be honest. Of course I'll see it, but even with Nolan's fanbase and reputation, will people turn up for it, especially in the US? It's about a WW2 event before American involvement that most Americans are likely not that interested in. And it looks upsetting and dark, but not a genre film, on a summer release date. I hope it goes well for him, but European audiences can't make up for US audiences if they fail to turn up. And other overseas countries have never been interested in WW2 movies.

• Love 1
On 14/12/2016 at 10:17 PM, AimingforYoko said:

Chris Nolan's Dunkirk:

I generally don't pay much attention to trailers, and I'm not a big fan of Nolan, but this looks fantastic.

The story of Dunkirk is part of British folklore, and seeing it done justice in a big budget, modern blockbuster movie will hopefully be as good as it should be. This was a stage in the Second World War where the German army was unstoppable, and if the Dunkirk evacuation hadn't happened, it's likely Britain would have been forced to sue for peace.

If Americans don't turn up to see a movie that doesn't have American heroes it, then that's a shame. Not everything has to be about America, all the time. Especially not in a period in the Second World War where the majority of Americans were sitting on their thumbs, desperately trying to pretend that what was happening in Europe was no biggie.

• Love 1