Type keyword(s) to search

Trailers & New Movies: Coming Soon to a Cinema Near You!

• Start Topic

Oh, they will.  I worked in a theatre when South Park: Bigger Longer Uncut came out and had an angry parent storm out after 5 or 10 minutes saying "how was [she] supposed to know" it wasn't kid-friendly.  The obvious answers being, in no particular order:

1) By looking at the R rating

2) By understanding the innuendo of "Bigger, Longer, Uncut"

3) By noticing this show only airs at MIDNIGHT on the comedy network

4) By knowing absolutely anything about the movie you're taking your children to

5) By being a remotely decent parent.

I work at a movie theater, and during the first week or so it was out, people were taking little kids to see Deadpool.

• Love 1

I work at a movie theater, and during the first week or so it was out, people were taking little kids to see Deadpool.

I was listening to a podcast called The Read and one of the hosts, Kid Fury, had a whole read about going to see Deadpool in VIP and there was an entire family with children sitting next to him (and they even tried to steal his assigned seat!).  He ranted about not only is it bad parenting, he now had to sit next to an 8yo watching freaking Deadpool, which is not what he spent his $25 for.  His read was hilarious but also totally on point.

Sorry, off-topic I know.

Edited by dusang

Damn, Colin Firth and Patrick Dempsey are looking good. (And really, Renee's surgery wasn't that bad.)

Okay, the trailer wasn't quite as atrocious as I feared but really there's something fundamentally depressing about a woman who is presented with so many chances to not fuck up her life still fucking up her life -- if I remember the last book/film correctly I'm not entirely sure why she and Mark would have split.

Although daaaaaaamn Colin & Patrick... 

Also, my love for Emma Thompson is boundless yet still growing.

First trailer for The Lego Batman Movie

DARKNESS!  NO PARENTS!

Now that's a batman movie I wanna see!

Oh YEAH! Ditto! Which reminds me, There are a couple of Lego movies on Netflix, which I think I'll check out before I sit myself down and watch the Bale movies, followed by the DCAU.

• Love 1

While this trailer failed spectacularly in conveying what the plot of this film is, I did clearly comprehend that both of these characters are reprehensible douchetards who should not be immortalized in film.

• Love 1

America Ferrera? Salt n' pepper Eric Bana? I'm in.  

Eric Bana is honestly one of those guys who are getting better with age. As one of the 10 people who saw The Finest Hour, I couldn't get over how much hotter he was as an older guy than he was as a bland young hunk.

Extended Me Before You trailer:

Oh, the feels! God, I have such a good feeling for it. It really does look like they're staying pretty true to the feel of the book.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 1

Paul Dano and Daniel Radcliffe star in Swiss Army Man, in which Radcliffe plays a farting corpse.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/04/04/swiss-army-man-trailer-daniel-radcliffe-farting-corpse

So. Many. Questions.

I first heard about this movie during a rundown of the Sundance premieres, saw the "Daniel Radcliffe plays a farting corpse with an erection" description and I think I might have said, "of course," out loud. I wonder if he ever gets nominated for real awards will he stop trying so hard to seem edgy? Or maybe it just seems more pronounced with him because he was such a big child star. Like, how a lot of pop stars sex it up, but with Miley Cyrus, people read a level of rebellion into it that they wouldn't with someone who only got famous as an adult.

I first heard about this movie during a rundown of the Sundance premieres, saw the "Daniel Radcliffe plays a farting corpse with an erection" description and I think I might have said, "of course," out loud. I wonder if he ever gets nominated for real awards will he stop trying so hard to seem edgy? Or maybe it just seems more pronounced with him because he was such a big child star. Like, how a lot of pop stars sex it up, but with Miley Cyrus, people read a level of rebellion into it that they wouldn't with someone who only got famous as an adult.

In fairness to Daniel, he appeared in the Broadway revival of Equus in 2008. I think once you've been bare-ass naked in a live stage performance, that's about as "rebellious" as you can get.

He's set for life financially, so he can probably just afford to do stuff that he thinks is fun. He's done non-edgy roles too, just gets less attention for them. I saw him in "The cripple of Inishmaan" in London, he was terrific in it and that's a very classical theatre role.

• Love 1

If you watch from his interviews, Radcliffe has quirky tastes and does a lot of his roles because they interest him. I don't think he is trying to be that edgy anymore.

In other news, The BFG trailer is out:

Disney + Spielberg will be a profitable equation at the very least. It does look promising though especially with the girl they have cast as lead. 

• Love 1

I find Radcliffe to be very authentic in his roles and when I see him in interviews.  I actually like that he combats this idea that people seem to have of him because he was in Harry Potter.  IMO, he seems to have a natural edge to him and seems very artistic and interested in varying acting roles.  I think when people have an idea of who they think you are and then meet the real you and you don't resemble their idea, they seem to have a really hard time accepting that. 

I also don't understand this need "we" sometimes have to think that we know people based on meeting/experiencing/watching them as children.  It's like if you meet a child at ten years old and then didn't see them again until they were 25/30 and still thinking that you "know" them.  Why would they be the "same" as they were when they were a child, especially when you couple that with them acting and playing a character. 

• Love 2
(edited)

I agreee -- I don't think Daniel Radcliffe is trying to be edgy and rebellious for its own sake. He doesn't really convey that desperation that you see in someone like Miley Cyrus has to be "edgy." He seems like he just genuinely likes films like that and trying new things. I mean his Broadway resume is also quite varied. And from what I've heard, that farting corpse film is surprisingly very good.

Edited by JustaPerson

Obviously I meant figuratively from nowhere, not literally. I haven't heard of any of those movies except The Equalizer and that was a bit part. Hardcore Henry is her first big feature lead, then she's the female lead in The Magnificent Seven and the titular character in The Girl On The Train. This is all in one year. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CKPj4O5_9s

Maybe it's just because I read the book, but I feel like the trailer already gave away the big twist.

The trailer totally gave away the big twist. Admittedly, it's a twist I guessed about a third of the way into the book, but still not one that should be given away in the trailer like that. I'm also not sure why they changed the setting to America considering they cast a British actress as the lead, but that's neither here nor there.

• Love 1

The trailer totally gave away the big twist. Admittedly, it's a twist I guessed about a third of the way into the book, but still not one that should be given away in the trailer like that. I'm also not sure why they changed the setting to America considering they cast a British actress as the lead, but that's neither here nor there.

I know.  That trailer was incredibly spoilerish.  Way to give away the whole movie.  I'm not sure if they did it that way because they know most people haven't read the book so they may not realize how many spoilers are in the trailer, or was it a way to distance themselves from Gone Girl and not advertise it as a "whodunit" necessarily. 

• Love 3