Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E14: Through a Glass, Darkly

Three months have passed, and Mona’s friends and family are still mourning their loss and more adamant than ever that Alison had something to do with Mona’s death. Ready to put “A’s” game to an end and get justice for Mona, the PLLs ramp up their search for evidence that could prove Alison killed Mona. But with Alison claiming her innocence and having a seemingly airtight alibi, the Liars may have to resort to more shady tactics to put Ali away. Meanwhile, Emily and Paige reach a crossroad in their relationship, and Aria starts to worry about her future.

Three months? So, this should put the girls into the second semester of their senior year now.

Toby has probably become the head of the Rosewood police by now.

Aria starts to worry about her future

She will probably try to convince Ezra to apply for a job in the college where she intends to study.

It's kind of hilarious how stubbornly convinced the Liars are that Alison killed Mona, never mind the complete and utter lack of compelling evidence that Mona is dead. You would think that after Alison's return, Zombie Ian and the two or three times Toby was presumed dead they wouldn't be so quick to go order new (skimpy) funeral outfits...

• Love 3

I was having the same thought, about why the hell would any of these girls presume someone is dead when there is no body.  For God's sake, when there IS a body, I would still be doubting the person was really dead!

• Love 2

I was having the same thought, about why the hell would any of these girls presume someone is dead when there is no body.  For God's sake, when there IS a body, I would still be doubting the person was really dead!

For all they know that body could be wearing a mask of someone elses face on top of another mask while also being a doll made to look like the person while also wearing the mask of someone's face. 

• Love 18

For all they know that body could be wearing a mask of someone elses face on top of another mask while also being a doll made to look like the person while also wearing the mask of someone's face. 

AHAHAHAHAHAH you split my sides!!! And the sad thing is I could totally see that happen on this mess of a show XD

I am not sure if this is the right place to post (or if someone posted this). I Marlene King posted that the Patsy Cline song Walkin' after midnight contains many clues for the rest of season 5 and were it will be going in season 6.

It's fine to say that here, but anyone who wants to discuss/analyze it should probably do so in the spoiler thread (or in an unspoiled speculation thread if anyone's interested in starting one of those).

It's kind of hilarious how stubbornly convinced the Liars are that Alison killed Mona, never mind the complete and utter lack of compelling evidence that Mona is dead.

I wasn't bothered by this because Mona disappeared just as she was about to spring the A reveal and never contacted them again. The Liars either believe that Mona left 'em hanging' because she is dead or assume that Mona ran off and doesn't contact them i.e. betrayed them again. (Granted, Mona could have been kidnapped i.e. still alive, but unable to contact them - but this seems a bit of a stretch and she is still more likely to be murdered than return.) Since we know Mona is dead, I'm glad the show is just moving on for once, instead of rehashing trust issues.

I wasn't bothered by this because Mona disappeared just as she was about to spring the A reveal and never contacted them again. The Liars either believe that Mona left 'em hanging' because she is dead or assume that Mona ran off and doesn't contact them i.e. betrayed them again.

But the Liars seem utterly convinced that Mona is dead. There doesn't seem to be any "either" in their minds. If that's the idea, why did the writers have the killer hide the body in the first place? Except for keeping the option of having Mona come back "miraculously", of course.

I am very glad we (hopefully) got rid of Mona but there are way too many murders in this show and the characters' reaction to them are incredibly inconsitent and random.

But the Liars seem utterly convinced that Mona is dead. There doesn't seem to be any "either" in their minds. If that's the idea, why did the writers have the killer hide the body in the first place? Except for keeping the option of having Mona come back "miraculously", of course.

Maybe Mona has a twin.  And she's even more evil than Mona.  And the Mona twin is really 'A'.  Dun, dun, dun, dun.

• Love 1

Aria with a rape whistle is like the greatest thing I have ever seen in my life.    There were two whole scenes where I actually  like Aria in this episode.  The rape whistle scene and the scene where she was talking to Mike about Mona.   That was a good scene too.   Hey maybe I can tolerate her when she is Ezra-less.

We all knew Ali wasn't going to be A.  I did enjoy watching the liars team up against her though.  When Ali said "Who is going to protect you when I am gone?"  My thought was if you call that protection; I would hate to know what you consider a full on assault.

I had much feels during the Emily and Paige airport scene.  I am a shipper so I am sad to see Paige go.  I did however understand her point of view.  I thought the scene was very well done.  I am glad she got out alive.  

Oh liars; just when you think your out........What the frak did you do to piss a psychopath off anyway?  That is what I want to know.  Did you steal his/her cookie?  Parking space?  Really.  At this point I don't care who A is.  I want to know what evil evil thing you did to deserve such madness.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 3

I'm very glad we didn't have to deal with multiple episodes of whether Spencer will go to jail or not. 

They said that Mona died on Thanksgiving. And Halloween in this calendar year was supposedly the season 3 Halloween special. So, you're telling me that the second half of season 3, all of season 4 (including all of Ravenswood), and the first half of season 5 happened between Halloween and Thanksgiving. Oh, for the love. 

I really wish they would stop trying to make Grunwald happen. I get that they feel the Ravenswood viewers need closure, but we really don't. We need to just forget that dark chapter of nonsense and move on.

I feel like A is getting more desperate. They're starting to come closer to the Liars more often now. I think they're going to slip up soon. 

That scene with Mike and Aria absolutely killed me. I just wanted to give him a hug. Same with every scene with Mona's mom.

I wish we hadn't had to see Mona struggle so much in that video footage. I could have lived without seeing that. 

How did Toby go from enrolling in the police academy to graduating and getting hired by the Rosewood police in the span of like 4 months? Is Toby just the biggest genius to ever grace Rosewood? Or is the reason that Rosewood cops suck so much because they have approximately 3 weeks of schooling?

• Love 2

The episode started pretty slow but I'm happy to say it shaped up halfway through.

Aria and the rape whistle was ridiculous beyond words, especially considering how obvious it is that Alison is innocent. But I will say her scene with Mike really impressed me . I'm under the opinion Aria has all the reasons in the word and some to hate Mona and pull out a red dress a la the one Hanna wore when Ian died. So she could have shut down Mike's agnsty party ten seconds flat by mentioning simply one of the horrible things Mona has done to her and the rest of the girls since the show started. So I think it was beyond generous of Aria to offer to hear about the Mona Mike knew. It was an inspired thing to say, to say the least. I can't say I would have been able to act in such a way if I had been in Aria's position.

Mike's whole "I know the real Mona" thing really got on my nerves. I find it extremelly arrogant and egotistical. While I think he has every right to mourn his dead girlfriend because he obviously got to know a different side of Mona, I find the complete lack of empathy he shows towards his sister who was bulied by said girlfriend really off putting. Again, I have to applaud Aria here because she never seems to have held it against Mike the fact that a girl having been her former bully never stopped him from considering her "girlfriend material", but by God I do. If he was my brother, I'd have raised hell.

I actually finished the episode thinking it was Mike who attacked Aria. He has done it before.

Pailey couldn't bore me more even if they tried so I'm so so soooooo relieved Paige is gone, at least for the time being. I tend to have all the patience in the world for Emily (I was one of the few that dug her morning of Maya is S3 while never liking Maya), but her hot and cold thing with Paige has completely lost me and I didn't feel any simpathy whatsoever when Paige rightfully chose to leave. Emily will have a new girlfriend in a week and if it's Alison I wouldn't be surprised.

Speaking of Alison and Emily, I was really shocked at Emily being willing to create false evidence to frame Alison. I still haven't decided if that was in character. I understand wanting to save Spencer played a huge part in that as did Emily still feeling scorned by Alison but Lord that was harsh!

Hanna calling Grimauld (sp??) was interesting.

I was surprised Jason came though for Spencer. Well done! And his scenes with Ali are all gold, but that last one when the police arrived and she just asked him to try and stall them killed me. I can't help it, my heart really went out for her during the arrest scene even as I felt the girls were justified, for the most part, for acting how they've been acting. I also realize a lot of what has brought her to this moment was her own doing and the moment overall gave me a sense of satisfaction because it felt very earned. But I was very conflicted watching.

I wish we hadn't had to see Mona struggle so much in that video footage. I could have lived without seeing that.

Same here, that was completely horrible.  I can't believe that was allowed to be shown. I truly can't.

The girls talking about leaving Rosewood made me strangely sad. It's the sanest thing to do, obviously, but the prospect of them being apart... 

Edited by cuddlingcrowley
  • Love 4

I didn't mind Grunwald in this episode, as long as she doesn't come back. I don't mind a little touch of the supernatural on this show and there was a touch of it in the books as well.

I'm also wondering if Jason gave a subtle nod to the twin theory. Maybe Ali has so many baby books because they're not only of Ali. I'm also wondering if that's why Ali remembered the day from the photograph as a "good day." She was faking that memory because she wasn't there, her twin was.

Of course, it doesn't make sense that Jason wouldn't know he has another sister, but then again, the show has already established that Jason has severe issues with his memory, supposedly due to drugs, but who knows, he could be in a hyperreality or something.

• Love 2

So am I the only one suspecting Mike? There's just something shady about him, I don't care what anyone says. And I kind of felt like Aria knew something was off with the whole "who else could it be" unconvincingly and A having his phone. Maybe he "killed" who he thought was Ali because wasn't she blackmailing Aria's father (hard to keep straight cause she blackmailed like ten people the day she "died").

And when I saw that tape the first thing I thought was it was Mike with a wig on.

Edited by Danielle87
  • Love 2

The only thing is, I doubt Mike would kill Mona. That end scene, with him crying, suggests he loved her. Unless we go back to Mike's mental issues..which were brought up and never touched on again. And the fact that A somehow seems to know that Aria is claustrophobic, which is something that Ali didn't seem to know, but Mike probably would...hmm..now that's got me thinking. 

I feel for Ali. I don't think she's a sociopath. I think she's a queen bee and a survivor. When it's you or her, she picks her every time. There's enough to her though, to suggest she has emotions and a tragic story. 

Apparently this was Aria's awesome episode. (Although, are we getting hints that A is going to pick on Aria this half?) The rape whistle was fantastic. Between the martial arts and the rape whistle, she is the only liar that has actually taken her safety into consideration. Although she still ended up in plastic wrap. 

I'm totally team Emison, so..goodbye Paige.

Speaking of ships (and Aria) the computer....did A steal Mona's computer? Did Caleb really give it to her? If that's the case, shame on Caleb. He should know the liars can't have nice things. And I love Caleb's chemistry with all of the other liars. 

Also, my favorite scene of the night was with Mona and Hanna. That was just so well done. 

Speaking of ships (and Aria) the computer....did A steal Mona's computer? Did Caleb really give it to her?

That's what it looked like to me.  I was like, of course the girls lose the computer.  But I don't know why Caleb couldn't have taught her to hack on some other computer. 

They need to stop with the supernatural crap, if I want to watch a show about that I'll watch, well, Supernatural.

What the hell was that with Aria & A & the computer? Aria looks up something on one of Caleb's computers, & somehow A knows right away & sets it up to steal the computer from her? Why? If A can see that Aria is looking something up on a computer, what do they need the computer for? Is A monitoring Caleb now? Is A Caleb?

Oh liars; just when you think your out........What the frak did you do to piss a psychopath off anyway?  That is what I want to know.  Did you steal his/her cookie?  Parking space?  Really.  At this point I don't care who A is.  I want to know what evil evil thing you did to deserve such madness.  

The $1,000,000,000 question which has never been explained. Why? Why is this all happening? I think the show has been renewed for 2 more seasons, are they really going to keep this "who is A?" crap up without an explanation for at least 2 more seasons?

Edited by GaT
  • Love 1

Apparently this was Aria's awesome episode. (Although, are we getting hints that A is going to pick on Aria this half?) The rape whistle was fantastic. Between the martial arts and the rape whistle, she is the only liar that has actually taken her safety into consideration. Although she still ended up in plastic wrap

Yes! I loved the rape whistle. At least Aria tries to defend herself. I noticed this A was about the same size as Aria which made me think Mona (or Mona's twin if they go there, which *gag*, but it would fit with the Grunwald "each one hated the other" clue). Why did Aria even have Mona's computer anyway?

But then in the video Mona's attacker appeared larger than her which made me think Mike or Lucas. I know I am probably over analyzing and it's just Joe Schmoe hanging around the set in the hoodie.

Edited by lorikauai

Okay, my out-there theory is that Mona planted the cameras to frame Ali for her own murder. Mike really did put on the wig and "fight" her to stage the murder. (Or a different accomplice). The blood was collected over a period of time after Ali's reappearance (hence the fainting episode). Mona is the one who attacked Aria to get her own computer back. Where is she? Hiding in her missing RV somewhere.

• Love 14

Wow I found it really hard to transition from crying to lauging so fast. It was like mona's funeral...then toby being full on cop in an interrogation room...then paige leaving...then aria's whistle...

I think I laughed the hardest at Aria's: "if mona can find proof then so can we!" Sweet, naive Aria. where's your military grade hacking material, girl? 

Also at this point i dont know if the girl who plays alison is an incredible actress because she knows whats going on with ali, or if she just picks a random emotion for each scene so all her bases are covered...

I forgot this in my other post. No way is Mona dead. She's alive & hiding somewhere, it may even be part of A's scheme. Mona & whoever that was that "attacked" her knew the camera was there, & set it up. 

lorikauai you posted while I was still typing, yeah, it's something like this. I like the blood theory.

Okay, my out-there theory is that Mona planted the cameras to frame Ali for her own murder. Mike really did put on the wig and "fight" her to stage the murder. (Or a different accomplice). The blood was collected over a period of time after Ali's reappearance (hence the fainting episode). Mona is the one who attacked Aria to get her own computer back. Where is she? Hiding in her missing RV somewhere.

Thoughts during this episode:

Ezra: "This 3 months later (older) thing is really killing my vibe.  Hey Aria - I hear your younger brother is single now?"

Apparently Spencer got arrested under national security laws or something, because not even she and her lawyers knew what the charges were?  Also, rookie cop Toby is actually now Detective Toby and is partnered with Tanner on cases that he has clear conflict of interests on.  Rosewood PD is amazing.

Aria with a rape whistle, Aria: Master Hacker, Aria: Murdered via nail-gun.  Fantastic.

Emily going to look for a "muffin tray" at Alison's house.  Everyone else is apparently: "Yeah, that sounds legit".

Aria (to Emily): "Hey, why don't you skip the dramatic confrontation with our current antagonist in the main plot and go be with your Love Interest".

Emily: "The hell?  Do I look like an Aria?  I'll deal with that after the shit goes down".

I keep feeling that like John Constantine or someone is going to pop up whenever The Grunwald is around.  I actually quite enjoy the addition of the outright supernatural elements to the show.  It already feels like a comic book in alot of ways anyway, so why not explicitly make it so?  I want to see Hanna become The Grunwald's apprentice, in order to use the Dark Arts to try and rescue Mona from the underworld.  But of course that never goes well, and Mona gets banished to the hells.  "It's OK Hanna, really.  You tried, and I thank you for that.  Hell is probably more my style anyway.  See you soon!"

The Emily/Paige goodbye and the Aria/Mike heartfelt were pretty well done imo.  I mean Mike will probably never be seen again this season (because he's Mike) and Emily will probably have at least 2 new girlfriends next episode (because she's Emily), but there was some genuinely earned emotional beats there. 

Oh, and best line of the episode:

Spencer: Planting evidence is an actual crime Emily!

Emily: Yeah, and you're going to jail for actual murder!

Edited by Agent Dark
  • Love 4

OMG can we talk about Aria's marching band outfit? WTF, Aria? Do you think you're posing for the cover of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band? I know I am going to hell, but I laughed and laughed when I saw Aria's rejection letter from Oberlin. Special little snowflake Aria didn't get everything her heart desires? I am cracking up at the thought that Aria is going to become a hacker though. And as mean as it sounds, I kind of loved when she got attacked by A because it's always the other girls being assaulted by A.

While I understand Paige's parents want her to get out of Rosewood so that she will be safe from all the pedos and shovels, if they were THAT concerned about her safety then why did they let her stay in Rosewood for three more months? This whole "now I have enough credits to graduate" excuse makes no sense. Most high schools end their fall/winter terms in December or January so why would her parents let her stay until the end of February? If I were really concerned for my kid's safety, I would have her move right away. And if I thought she would be safe from December through February, I would let her stay until June to graduate with her friends, finish the swim season, etc.

FINALLY the girls are getting a little smarter about their creeping around. I was so glad to see that Spencer and Emily were wearing gloves and they had their hair tied up when they snuck into Mona's house.

So Ali's mom had an affair with Spencer's dad AND Bethany's dad? I know we're not supposed to speak ill of the fictional dead, but man, she sure got around.

Even though Mona was crazy, I liked the flashback of her telling Hanna that Hanna was smarter than Spencer and that she just pretends she isn't smart as a way to hide. Entwined with the crazy was her real love of Hanna. I mean, sure, she tormented Hanna and hit her with a car but she also really believed in Hanna.

I didn't mind the Grunwald in this episode because it came across as Hanna being desperate to find Mona's body, willing to try anything, and as Hanna told Caleb, they know that Grunwald's psychic abilities are real, not some fraud at a carnival. If you have the resource available, why not try? So within the context of what's going on, it made sense to me that Hanna would want to ask for Grunwald's help (hell, that made more sense than the entire season of Ravenswood).

I know that I can't base anything on the video of Mona being attacked because A was most likely some random person on set in a hoodie and a wig, but the body seemed like a guy's, not a girl's, which made me wonder who it could be. Of the guys left on the show, it's definitely not Caleb which leaves Mike, Ezra, Toby, and Holbrook.

ITA that Mike was looking a little shady at the beginning of the episode (although I did love him shutting down Ezra trying to talk to him about his feelings). It made me wonder if he was going to take on the Black Hoodie of A as his way of keeping Mona alive. Yes, A attacked Aria, but she was just scared, not hurt. Maybe Mike thinks he can find something on Mona's laptop?

Heh, I laughed when Mike said he was tired of hearing people talk about how nice Mona was because she wasn't nice. Even her boyfriend can admit that! But ITA with the previous post about how Mike seemed to have no issue that his girlfriend tormented his own sister for months. Great that he got to see a less torturous side of Mona, but that doesn't erase all the things that she did to Aria. I could never date someone who messed with my sister like that.

I was glad that Paige asked Emily how she got past security and she said that she bought a cheap ticket to Atlantic CIty because when I initially saw her run up to the gate, I thought COME ON, it isn't 1999 anymore, people!

• Love 3

Whoa, this is amazing and covers things that have been in episodes long past. I'm impressed!

• Love 2

I haven't had a chance to read all the posts yet, so I don't know if this has already been answered by anyone or not, but I have two questions:

1) Can someone please explain to me what Mike meant by "I'm tired of everyone repeating how nice and sweet mona was. It's hypocritical: she wasn't. But she was". WTF??? o.O

2) Can someone please explain to me why Paige wanted to leave anyway? It kinda went like this:

Emily: Ali was arrested for Mona's murder. It's over. Rosewood is a safe place again.

Paige: Oh.

Emily: See? That means you can stay! Isn't that great?
Paige: No, I want to leave anyway.
WTFx2??? o.O

Maybe it's just me, but I've found the dialogues in this episode to be particularly cryptic and convoluted...

Mike is A. This started when his screwed up family returned to Rosewood. Aria has gotten off relatively easy because she is his sister. Aside from pushing her over, locking her in a box, and now trapping her in plastic (which she was too dumb to get out of quickly), A has been good to her. Because he's her brother. Mona suspected as much and got close to him. Then she got dead. His cries were cries of guilt because he is mentally insane and actually belongs at Radley. But none of this makes sense as to why or how A pulls stuff off so my theory is debunked already. Stupid show. I did think that was him in the wig though.

I was sad that Jason took Spencer's side because that means he is officially in even more danger. He can survive falling down an elevator shaft and walk out of the hospital, but maybe A will be more forgiving since he actually helped frame Ali. The three baby book and "that was a good day" lines point to the twin theory. Same with the line where he said "you have a knack for remembering things differently."

I thought the Grunwald and Alison scenes were interesting. The way she said her name made me think she knew that she wasn't Alison.

• Love 1

Brilliant point! I think Mona’s definitely alive, but I forgot about that fainting spell.

Really dumb question: wasn’t Aria’s attacker holding Mike’s ringing phone? With all the overcomplicated twists the show tries and usually fails to pull off, it would be kind of amazing to put something so obvious out there…no one would suspect it would be Mike holding Mike’s phone ;)

• Love 1

Brilliant point! I think Mona’s definitely alive, but I forgot about that fainting spell.

Really dumb question: wasn’t Aria’s attacker holding Mike’s ringing phone? With all the overcomplicated twists the show tries and usually fails to pull off, it would be kind of amazing to put something so obvious out there…no one would suspect it would be Mike holding Mike’s phone ;)

Yeah, the attacker was holding Mike's phone. Mona probably just wanted her computer back, haha.

I also found it strange that there were no traces of blood in the video but at the crime scene the place was covered.

Brilliant point! I think Mona’s definitely alive, but I forgot about that fainting spell.

Really dumb question: wasn’t Aria’s attacker holding Mike’s ringing phone? With all the overcomplicated twists the show tries and usually fails to pull off, it would be kind of amazing to put something so obvious out there…no one would suspect it would be Mike holding Mike’s phone ;)

Not to be rude but I really don't know why people keep saying Mona's alive.  We saw her cold corpse in the trunk of A's car.  I'm pretty sure she's as dead as Nate.

• Love 1

Not to be rude but I really don't know why people keep saying Mona's alive.  We saw her cold corpse in the trunk of A's car.  I'm pretty sure she's as dead as Nate.

I think it was either Mona with dead people contact lenses in, a dummy made to look like Mona, or she's the one with the (now dead) twin. I was going to say that I would believe she's dead when they show us her body, but this is Rosedale, the place where the coroner identified Bethany as Ali, so I'm not really sure at what point I would believe she's dead.

• Love 1

I think it was either Mona with dead people contact lenses in, a dummy made to look like Mona, or she's the one with the (now dead) twin. I was going to say that I would believe she's dead when they show us her body, but this is Rosedale, the place where the coroner identified Bethany as Ali, so I'm not really sure at what point I would believe she's dead.

But why would they show the viewers the dummy but not the liars? It's one thing to want is to think she's dead but to create a dummy with no body found seems like a waste of time. Says the 27 year old still watching this show....

• Love 2

Oh, I know...and I'm one of those people! I like the show, but it's not exactly known for its consistency. The showrunners constantly backtrack with these weird, hackneyed explanations, and I roll with it. So if I can buy into a hyper-reality state, and the multiple "A" revelations that weren't (remember when Ezra was A, and the show put a hashtag on it?!), I can buy Mona being passed out or otherwise pretending to be dead in that trunk to pull off the faked death.

• Love 1

Not to be rude but I really don't know why people keep saying Mona's alive. We saw her cold corpse in the trunk of A's car. I'm pretty sure she's as dead as Nate.

Eh, it was probably Mona pretending to be a body and leaving evidence in the trunk of Ali's car while they have Ali occupied on an A-like wild goose chase. She is committed enough to have her accomplice stuff her in a trunk.

• Love 1

Oh, I know...and I'm one of those people! I like the show, but it's not exactly known for its consistency. The showrunners constantly backtrack with these weird, hackneyed explanations, and I roll with it. So if I can buy into a hyper-reality state, and the multiple "A" revelations that weren't (remember when Ezra was A, and the show put a hashtag on it?!), I can buy Mona being passed out or otherwise pretending to be dead in that trunk to pull off the faked death.

And weren't they making a big deal about knowing someone is really dead when you see the body just prior to Mona's death? That usually means they are lying. How many times have they sworn up and down that a reveal was the real deal just to have it be another fake out?

• Love 1

Who wrote this episode? It was awful. I can't even muster the energy to write about the many fails on that front.

Same goes for plot. You guys already mentioned the stunning shit happening with all the Toby plot line and Spencer's and anything and everything that has to do with procedural aspects just gets more and more insane.

So, moving on from the script and plot, holy shit were there some lame scenes. The slap at the funeral was worthy of soap operas in terms of acting and editing (if at least it hadn't inserted the unnecessary shot of the Liars going all Shock!Gasp!...)  Aria's scenes were decent in themselves, but seemed to come out of nowhere and at a cost (Ezra trying to talk to Mike was a scene I sadly cannot unwatch; she had some of the worst lines - that "he loved her" in the scene with Ezra was cringe-worthy as both writing and line delivery; and... she could not see if the person right in her face was Ali or not? it's not like his/her face was obscured by camera angles; also why did she have the laptop to begin with and how did A know? Would the information on why she was rejected by a college be stated explicitly on a hack-able site or what exactly did she want Caleb to hack to find out if A was to blame for the rejections..? or did she think the letters were fake? or, wait, could it be that the show just needed a reason for her to have the laptop? oh, show...); the A fireworks looked so fake I just laughed, and it would have been so much better if the show only revealed an A message in the next episode - not that it would have come as a surprise then, but it would have been a tad different in terms of pacing.

One thing I did like was that Jason did not really change his mind after talking to Spencer. Sure, he confronted Ali, but he didn't do anything about it until he saw the tape and was asked a direct question. I thought that was nicely done. What was not nicely done? The police missing that camera right at the crime scene; I understand the need for it, but the show could have had Spencer suspect a camera might be there and specifically look for it instead of making the camera easy enough to spot by accident.

If Ali was indeed framed for Mona's death, was she lured out of the house at the time of the murder? If so, how? And where was she? Why would she not volunteer this information - was it a phone call or a text or an email? because there are records of such things. Why would Ali keep up the mysterious act at this point when, as Emily reminded Spencer in the episode's best line, being framed for actual murder is already pretty much the worst? Whatever secret Ali has should be beyond huge. (i.e. will totally disappoint.)

Edited by Crim

But why would they show the viewers the dummy but not the liars? It's one thing to want is to think she's dead but to create a dummy with no body found seems like a waste of time. Says the 27 year old still watching this show....

Oh you silly Spencer Hastings, trying to apply logic to anything in PLL. :-) I'm sure A has taken pictures or video to send to all the liar's phones at an inopportune moment, enticing them to meet them in a dark room, or the woods, or some other place where they can be all alone, without telling anyone they're going there of course.  

Eh, it was probably Mona pretending to be a body and leaving evidence in the trunk of Ali's car while they have Ali occupied on an A-like wild goose chase. She is committed enough to have her accomplice stuff her in a trunk.

How....?  Wouldn't A check to make sure that his/her attempted murder was actually a murder?

Because there was no murder/attempted murder. If Mona is alive it was all staged.

Yeah, but for whose benefit would this staged body be? Nobody was there but A, putting the baby Jesus in the trunk. I'm going with Mona (or a twin) is worm food.

• Love 1

she could not see if the person right in her face was Ali or not? it's not like his/her face was obscured by camera angles;

Unless the intruder with Mike's cell phone was wearing a burqa or a balaclava under the hood, how did Aria not see who it was ?  She was staring right at him/her !!

the A fireworks looked so fake I just laughed

The really laughable part about the fireworks is that the rocket that crossed the A appeared to have been launched from Ravenswood -- it was nearly horizontal.

When the PLLs first see the fireworks, Aria says "Is that the carnival at St. Bridget's ?"  If there really was a carnival somewhere within Rosewood, the PLLs would have been all over it, so I doubt there was any carnival at all.

• Love 1

Yeah, but for whose benefit would this staged body be? Nobody was there but A, putting the baby Jesus in the trunk. I'm going with Mona (or a twin) is worm food.

You may very well be right. I just think the producers are intentionally deceptive, especially in the A tags, which are generally shown for the audience's benefit. One of the only truly consistent things they've done on this show is emphasize twins, dolls and masks. So I guess that's why it seems likely that they'll bring her back. I would not apply this logic to any other show ;)   

• Love 1

Even if Ali is being framed for Mona's murder, she's still acting sketchy as hell. When Jason point blank asked her where she was on Thanksgiving, she professed her innocence, accused the PLLs of framing her, and didn't actually tell Jason a damn thing or answer his question.

• Love 2

Damn, I can't even enjoy Ali's downfall much because it seems so obvious that we are supposed to feel bad for her. The old "have the bad guy be unfairly persecuted got a change" trope. The slap in particular felt so silly and contrived.

Why would Jason lie for Ali's alibi? This makes no sense.

Three cameras and the police failed to find even one? Just when you think they cannot get any dumber.

Emily should have invited Paige to the Alison arrest party. So inconsiderate of her.

Aria hacking. What's next, Spencer teaching people how to take it easy?

• Love 1

she could not see if the person right in her face was Ali or not? it's not like his/her face was obscured by camera angles; 

I think I saw a black covering over the hoodie's face. It looked like one of those morph suits where there's nylon over the face to allow for breathing, but not sheer enough to be able to see the person's features.

• Love 1