Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: a.k.a. 'The Meet Market'

• Start Topic

Oh yeah, Frozen is still a huge thing. I direct my church's kindergarten choir, and that's actually provided a good way to bond with the kids. There was a little girl being very shy, and then I noticed that she was wearing a big ribbon around her neck with a bunch of Frozen pins on it (I guess she had too many to wear them all just pinned to her shirt). I commented on them, and she was impressed that I knew who the characters were and started telling me about all of them and what she liked about them. Elsa is her favorite. In fact, one of the songs we're learning is about how it's a beautiful world, and I asked the kids to tell me some things that are beautiful about the world. Most of the answers were stuff like "flowers" and "trees," but this little girl looked up at me with shining eyes and said with great feeling, "Elsa!"

I'm probably going to miss the Halloween carnival because I'm planning a vacation then (if I ever get around to making reservations), but I'd guess there will be a lot of Frozen characters. There are always a lot of Disney princesses.

Random, did I miss an explanation about why our episode thread is locked when I haven't seen that practice in any other forum on this site? And also when it is scheduled to be unlocked?

I believe it will be unlocked once the episode actually airs, but mods please correct me if I'm wrong.

• Love 1

So is this forum now running on the old TWOP "east coast US" airing philosophy? I thought maybe it might be info in the spoiler threads or something but I don't want to be spoiled so I don't go in there anymore. I checked the top "pinned" post of it just in case there was info.

I was just looking Poltergeist up on IMDb (it's not as random as it seems, I promise) and I found out that a remake is scheduled to be released in 2015. I love me some horror movies but I don't think I'll be going to see that. I less-than-three the original to pieces so any remake is just going to register as a big fat nope with me. Not to mention that I think a large part of the original's charm is the early-80s-ness of it, heh.

• Love 2

Have as much of Poltergeist as you want because I've serioulsy NOPED that movie. Imagine young eight-year-old sharky at my first sleepever party ever! How exciting! Until we watched Poltergeist and then I was the one who got stuck sleeping next to the TV that night. Never again.

• Love 2

Aww! That's me with The Exorcist (although I was 12, it was the tamed-down-for-TV version, and I was under my dad's supervision the whole time).

Me: *runs into my parents' room that night, crying* Can I please sleep on your floor tonight?

My mom, to my dad: What the hell were you thinking?!

My dad: How was I supposed to know she'd react like this? Do you know how many times she's seen Poltergeist? She was perfectly fine with that one!

I slept on their floor for two weeks, and I have since refused to watch it again, although my dad does swear the effects are really cheesy now. I have no desire to find out if he's right. :P

I slept on their floor for two weeks, and I have since refused to watch it again, although my dad does swear the effects are really cheesy now. I have no desire to find out if he's right. :P

They are.  Truly, they are.  I know this because I watched it for the first time as a fully grown adult with a full time job.

Unfortunately, I watched it at night, home alone, after watching one of those "This is the creepy true story the horror movie is loosely based on" shows.

Cheesy special effects didn't save me.  I still didn't sleep.  (My sister says the book is worse--she read it in college and couldn't sleep with the lights off for the longest time.)

Oooh I'm really excited that Cindy hasn't abandoned us.  Can't wait till you feel better. 

BTW does anybody know if the recap section of TWOP is now also gone?  I have not been able to go there for about 3 days.  First it was error messages now it is a blank screen.  I was re-reading some old recaps and now can't. 

The Excorcist really did a number on me too.  I was in Catholic grammer school at the time and the part I found disturbing was the idea that the devil could possess an innocent.  Up till then I always thought the devil couldn't do anything against a person's will and, remember, that in movies evil creatures like vampires can be turned away with the cross so I figured I with my cross and my absolute faith (being a child), was protected from all that and then Meghan an innocent girl got possessed and it freaked me out big time. 

ETA Started reading Cindy's recap and just wanted to mention that she says that she hasn't seen Frozen so she doesn't know how the characters on Once compare to the ones in the movie and I wanted to point out that so far the characters are EXACTLY the same.  As I postulated before the episode was shown it is obvious that Disney lawyers have threatened them with DEATH if they screw with these characters, DEATH.  The mouse has spoken. 

Edited by MDKNIGHT
  • Love 1

Just a small rant (may I?): fuck you, British shows, fuck you and your tendency to change the cast between seasons, even the protagonists. I've already had to quit Being Human, Misfits and Bedlam because of that, and now I download a new ep of season 3 of a little-known show none of you probably watch just to find one the heroine has quit. And I was actually planning to spend the evening watching it. Maybe her replacement (or, indeed, the replacements all the other heroes I've mentioned) is great, but they are not why I've watched the shows. I've watched because of the initial characters. Isn't that the point of TV shows - watching characters you care about? 

Sorry for the rant. I'm grumpy and a bit drunk and have nothing to watch right now. 

Edited by FurryFury
  • Love 1

FurryFury I feel your pain. The short version of why this is, is because British shows typically contract their actors for a much shorter time (usually 1-3 season), and after that initial period actors may choose to move on no matter what or attempt to renogotiate for higher salaries etc. So it's nice for the actors because they don't ever have to be tied down to a project for too long if they don't want and then they get more bargaining power later, but it's rough on viewers.

Oh, I know. I'm still pissed. For me, writing is the most important part of any show or movie, always, and having to write out the character the show was centered around is simply unacceptable. I'd prefer a recast, even.

At least the US shows have the wisdom to contract the main actors for a longer period, usually.

Edited by FurryFury
  • Love 1

Today, I'm super frustrated with my students. I know they are a special group, but none of them knew who Nelson Mandela was (one of them even said he was Obama's brother, and another one mixed him up with bob Marley). They are young and Spanish, but it's kind of sad.

• Love 1

I would never abandon you, but I also don't want to step on our hosts' toes. Find me on Twitter and you'll find me.

In re THE EXORCIST, I watched it with my then 12 year old daughter. I thought it was the edited version, but it wasn't. Imagine me trying to explain the um crucifix scene to my poor little girl. She's nearly 16 now and still not over it.

Oh, geez! Yeah, I'm reasonably sure that wasn't in the version I saw.

It's funny because my mom was all peeved at my dad for letting me watch The Exorcist (and letting me and my then-9-year-old brother watch the TV edit of Child's Play a couple years later ... my brother had a My Buddy doll that went up in the attic that day and never came back down) but when I Know What You Did Last Summer came out on video, she decided that would be neat for a movie night. I was in high school, but I still haven't quite forgiven her for that, haha.

(See, I like scary movies, but I don't like gore. Because if I'm going to watch a scary movie, I want to be creeped out, not grossed out. I much prefer the ghost stuff to the slasher stuff. My sister, on the other hand, is the complete opposite. She would prefer to be grossed out over creeped out, though she'd rather not watch any of it at all.)

Edited by Dani-Ellie

I'm going to spend the weekend in Bologna (Italy).

Yes, the town that gives name to that thing that Hook was force fed!!!

Bologna is one of my favourite cities in the world. I've been there twice and I love it. It's full of life.

• Love 1

This is m second time here. What's funny is that I'm here to mee a close friend that live in the centre of Italy. We could have met in Rome (easy for me as I come from Paris), but decided for Bologna as she's never been here!

Is it OK to talk about Frozen here?  I liked the movie but the parents were so dumb!  Instead of locking Elsa away, why not send her off to a desert tribe, where she can learn how  to control her power?  I know -- PLOT!!!  But that really bugged me!

Is it OK to talk about Frozen here?  I liked the movie but the parents were so dumb!  Instead of locking Elsa away, why not send her off to a desert tribe, where she can learn how  to control her power?  I know -- PLOT!!!  But that really bugged me!

There's two other threads technically that work for Frozen discussion, Frozen in Storybrooke and Once Upon a Time vs. Other Fairy tales threads. I entirely agree with you though. I hate the parents and never feel bad for them. They were awful.

Meawnhile, I do not do scary movies.

Edited by Aliasscape

I'm in a bind. I've just rewatched my favorite anime of the last 5 or so years in preparation to its season 2 launch, and it only served to highlight how little I care about most of the ongoing shows (especially dramas. Brooklyn 99 is great, and so is Parcs and Rec, when it returns, but I've never been able to truly invest into comedies emotionally). I made an effort to watch Once this Monday (and I didn't care about the episode much), and I'm seriously unsure if I will watch Agents of SHIELD tomorrow. There's just such a lack of well-written action/genre dramas right now, it's disheartening.

Edited by FurryFury
  • Love 1

I was listening to an Alan Sepinwall/Dan Fienberg podcast where they referred to a show as a "laundry folding show". I have several of those. There are some great serious well-written dramas -- Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Orphan Black -- and then there are the shows that you can half pay attention to as you fold laundry, clean the basement or knit. Or knit. Or also knit. I'm a bit of a yarn addict.

• Love 2

I finally installed xkit app on my mobile--it's like $2. Loving it so far, especially the cache-clear feature. It also has a lot of useful features from the regular extension like blacklist, etc.. I already preferred using tumblr on mobile--now there's even more reason!

I don't know what sort of Twitter spambot just sent me this message

prize Team91 ‏@eia1214l9  20m20 minutes ago

The |Prize| Patrol picked you as todays Regina  winner!!  Claim at this page @_Claim_Here

but, boy, were they barking up the wrong tree! LOL!

• Love 5

Ingenious: Interactive Periodic Table of Storytelling

Will make any story telling piece of cake.

Thanks for the link, katusch.  It looks really interesting.

ETA:

Well, so far our fandom has several entries in the Draco in Leather Pants category.   We also show up in the Magnificent Bastard category, with a short mention in Manipulative Bastard.

Edited by Mari
  • Love 1

Huh, I've read, like, 90% of the more popular trope pages a few years ago (seriously, TV tropes are that addictive). 

Well, so far our fandom has several entries in the Draco in Leather Pants category.

If only the writers didn't succumb to it as well.

• Love 1

I don't count that time as spent in vain. It really helped me to understand fiction. At least much better than my high school literature classes with teachers trying to explain stuff like themes and ideas, etc. I do have a pretty deep fascination for tropes in general, though. The site simply helped me to discover it :)

Edited by FurryFury
  • Love 1

I have been to the TV Tropes page once in a while, but re-reading the Draco in Leather Pants right now, it seems too much like Regina. 

Take this paragraph for instance: [T]hey are frequently the love object of the local Mary Sue (Robin/Henry), who uses the power of love to redeem the character. "I can fix him" is a commonly expressed sentiment among fans of Dracos in Leather Pants. In extreme cases, the affection these characters receive from fans can lead them to forget that they're actually still supposed to be villains (Sydney Glass is still in the mirror. She's still trying to force a "Happy Ending"). Or, on the flip side, even the worst crossings of the Moral Event Horizon can be rationalized ("It's complicated."), while any insult from the hero towards the villain is cast as deplorably mean (Liferuiner!Emma). The writer's attempt to make the villain more "sympathetic" will likely causes them to remove everything that made the character so cool/well liked in the first place (Woegina!Tears).

Edited by Rumsy4
  • Love 4
[T]hey are frequently the love object of the local Mary Sue (Robin/Henry), who uses the power of love to redeem the character. "I can fix him" is a commonly expressed sentiment among fans of Dracos in Leather Pants.

The scary thing with this show is that Robin and Henry don't seem to believe that Regina needs fixing or redeeming (and the show seems to see her as totally redeemed). Robin thinks that she was just bold and audacious rather than evil, and doesn't believe she's a monster, in spite of the testimony of one of her victims (his wife). Henry believes that the book that recorded her actual actions is wrong about her. All they seem to feel she needs is help getting all the rewards she deserves that are being kept from her by those awful good guys who've destroyed her life with their life-saving, truth-telling ways.

I am resisting all tropes links because I'm trying to wrap up a ton of work so I can go on vacation next week. I did feel moderately famous when I discovered that I've been referenced on TV Tropes. That was almost as cool as having an IMDB listing.

• Love 1

My 8 year old is insisting that it would be cool for me to wear my Bandit Snow costume to her school's Trunk or Treat this evening. I'm honored yet flabbergasted. I thought I was the embarrassing parent not the cool one.

Where did you get a Bandit Snow costume? I'm pulling out my cheap Disney Snow White costume to hand out candy on Halloween. I've done it before and all the kids loved it! So wear that costume with pride!

Where did you get a Bandit Snow costume? I'm pulling out my cheap Disney Snow White costume to hand out candy on Halloween. I've done it before and all the kids loved it! So wear that costume with pride!

I made it a couple of years ago for a fairy tale themed Halloween party. I've worn it to a couple of cons as well. I also have a 16th century style dress with color choices rather like Snow's movie dress but my daughter was adamant that that wasn't acceptable. LOL. 

• Love 1