Type keyword(s) to search

Spoiler Discussion: The apple was poisoned?!

• Start Topic

I don't mind the idea of them doing another Rapunzel in theory, but I am wary she is going to be somewhat wasted again in getting a rushed treatment.  It seems like they are throwing in as many characters as possible the first part of the season -- all who will need introductions as well as introducing the new story line itself, and finding space to resolve things with Emma and Belle.  I have a feeling they are going to be ping ponging from one plot point to the next, none of them getting the attention that they need.

I also wish they would step away from the Disney princesses.   There are other characters they can encounter in the Enchanted Forest.   It seems like they don't even bother to try and dig deep for new ideas or come up with some characters who are not cut out from the same mold.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, CCTC said:

I have a feeling they are going to be ping ponging from one plot point to the next, none of them getting the attention that they need.

That's exactly what it sounds like to me.  Sorta like 6A, with a few random episodes wrapping up Hyde and the Land of Untold Stories, interspersed with Aladdin and with a dash of Gideon/Morpheus plus The Evil Queen, and Cinderella is back for an ep!  And Nemo and The Count of Monte Cristo!  And Robin Hood is back!  Except this time, with few characters we actually care about.

I'm still waiting for Moana to show up.

Let me channel Adam and Eddy.  "We'll be using the movie as a jumping off point.  Moana is a feisty and determined young woman who is on the run in the Enchanted Forest with a price on her head."

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 1

I was thinking if they had Killian say he was going home to his family..he could get on a plane, go through a portal, whatever, then they could cut to blank storybook pages that fill in with illustrations of him reuniting with Emma (& kid if there is one).  That would work for me and get past the 'no JMo' issue.

• Love 11

I don't mind the idea of them doing another Rapunzel in theory, but I am wary she is going to be somewhat wasted again in getting a rushed treatment.  It seems like they are throwing in as many characters as possible the first part of the season -- all who will need introductions as well as introducing the new story line itself, and finding space to resolve things with Emma and Belle.  I have a feeling they are going to be ping ponging from one plot point to the next, none of them getting the attention that they need.

We have a limited budget, so let's cut out characters people would actually are about and bring in a couple dozen guest stars. Seems legit.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 1

Just looking at the photos from Episode 2 posted in the Spoilers Only thread.  Emma looks so awkward sitting on the log beside Adult Henry.  

I was thinking they could have made Lady Tremaine a serial husband killer.  She could have married Rapunzel's father and trapped her in the Tower.  Cinderella rescues Rapunzel and they work together to thwart their evil stepmother.

• Love 3

I was thinking they could have made Lady Tremaine a serial husband killer.  She could have married Rapunzel's father and trapped her in the Tower.  Cinderella rescues Rapunzel and they work together to thwart their evil stepmother.

She's also French Snow White's evil stepmother, Medusa from the Rescuers, Yzma's granddaughter, and the woman who shot Italian Bambi's mother.

A&E are already bored of their new toys?

I wish we had news of more returning characters instead. Zelena? Mulan? Those two street rats in S6 we're supposed to be remember the names of?!

Just leaving this here

At least Regina is wearing something different from what she normally does. 

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 1

I think they should have cast a PoC Rapunzel again, or chosen a different fairy tale character. This has a whiff of getting it "right" this time because of all the complaints on facebook on casting a black Rapunzel before. 

• Love 1

Now that there are a billion different versions of each character, they've freed themselves to do all versions of the character.  This actress looks very much like the cartoon Rapunzel.

I looked up New Rapunzel on Twitter and saw lots of fandom drama.  No wonder A&E are confident the new season will be fine... some people are so ridiculously invested in this show they would get into arguments with other fandoms over something so minor.

Edited by Camera One
13 hours ago, KingOfHearts said:

At least Regina is wearing something different from what she normally does. 

Yeah.  Reddish leather.  I refrained as long as I  could.

Also,  I know everyone think Henry looks like he's wearing Charming.  But to me he looks like a leather bound Peter Pan.  Its the collar.  And it bugs me.  A lot.

11 hours ago, Camera One said:

Now that there are a billion different versions of each character, they've freed themselves to do all versions of the character. 

I think this has got to be flashback driven.  I think the returning characters will get a post S6 Storybrooke flashback.  After that I think they have a plan to put Storybrooke and S1-S6 EF off limits for flashbacks because they know it will become increasingly problematic for a variety of reasons to revisit. 

So I expect them to burn through fairy tales almost episodically vs spending half a season per tale.  I think that most of the flashbacks will be to Henry visiting other fairy tale worlds meeting the other characters who are now in HH. 

I am going to be sitting back and watching with popcorn (to throw at the screen) when they have their "oh shit!" moment and realize they don't have much in the way of flashbacks for Regina, Hook, and Rumple other than EF or Storybrooke. and that flagging ratings make them want to stunt cast with the S1-S6 cast members.  Then, even if they manage to come up with a "satisfying" way to set up S7, it will all unravel as they pile on flashbacks that make the current time line infuriating and the past ruined.

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Love 1
12 minutes ago, Noneofyourbusiness said:

Wanting revenge doesn't sound like Tangled, though.

True.  Neither does Tiana's story but A&E claim they are using the movie as a "jumping off point".

I think this has got to be flashback driven.  I think the returning characters will get a post S6 Storybrooke flashback.  After that I think they have a plan to put Storybrooke and S1-S6 EF off limits for flashbacks because they know it will become increasingly problematic for a variety of reasons to revisit. 

I certainly hope so.  I vaguely remember Robert saying something about finding out something important about Belle and Rumple from their Enchanted Forest past?  That surprised me since we pretty much saw every millisecond of the era when Belle was his indentured servant.

I certainly hope so.  I vaguely remember Robert saying something about finding out something important about Belle and Rumple from their Enchanted Forest past?  That surprised me since we pretty much saw every millisecond of the era when Belle was his indentured servant.

If this show has taught me anything, it's that there's always room for retcons. Particularly with Rumpbelle.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Camera One said:

I just figured it out.  Rapunzel's hair was an ingredient of the latest Curse, and that's what kept Hook, Rumple and Regina looking so young.

I guess they couldn't find a new mate for Maleficent and Lily. No dragon eggs.

On 9/9/2017 at 8:57 PM, Rumsy4 said:

I think they should have cast a PoC Rapunzel again, or chosen a different fairy tale character. This has a whiff of getting it "right" this time because of all the complaints on facebook on casting a black Rapunzel before. 

At least they have several other PoC in the cast -- at the4 time, Rupunzel being black was a welcome change.  Of course she only got one episode but that was better than Cinderella's original fairy godmother.

“He is an Uber driver. He wrote one book called Once Upon a Time that we’ll realize has all the stories from the first six seasons, but it did not do well, no one bought it, and he’s a guy that’s kind of down on his luck looking for his place in the world.”

Henry actually turned into Isaac.

• Love 9

@Rumsy4  I sincerely thought that was a joke.  I had a comeback about Henry being the gum scraper at Pike's Market which eventually leads him to learning that the chewed wads have enough leftover hopes and dreams and wishes to open portals to other realms.  Or maybe to restore cursed memories.

But then I looked at the spoiler only thread and {facepalm}.

I've watched this show.  I should have seen this coming.  The only meta A&E love is the meta about them.  But jeez, I hate everything about Henry being a struggling author who wrote a S1-S6 OUAT book and failed to sell it.  It makes perfect sense but I hate it any way.

How is it that my expectations are this low and yet they still manage to come in under them.

• Love 13
9 minutes ago, ParadoxLost said:

@Rumsy4  I sincerely thought that was a joke. 

Season 6 onwards, it's been getting very hard to tell satirical posts on this forum from actual spoilers/canon.

How is it that my expectations are this low and yet they still manage to come in under them.

I know! This latest spoiler about Henry sounds like the most boring development ever! A&E really think they are some oppressed writers who are completely misunderstood by most of the viewers of the Show. Wasn't Isaac, and Henry's misadventures with Violet's father enough? Do they really have to whine about it for seasons? We should have seen this coming when they made Henry Isaac's successor. 

Edited by Rumsy4
  • Love 6

It just all sounds so mundane and incredibly boring. They're introducing like 6 new regulars - they should be trying to drum up excitement, but instead every article makes it sound worse than the last. Struggling to pay rent? Trouble at work? Uber driver? Failed author? The hits just keep on coming.

And sorry, but taking a character no one knows, that audiences have never even seen, and making her the focal point of the promo poster is just another big swing and a miss...

• Love 5
20 minutes ago, Kktjones said:

And sorry, but taking a character no one knows, that audiences have never even seen, and making her the focal point of the promo poster is just another big swing and a miss...

At least it's better than another apple!!

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Kktjones said:

I thought it would have been better if they did a twist on the original Cinderella poster.  Then I looked at the original poster which proclaims "greatest since Snow White"  Yeah.  Never mind.

It just all sounds so mundane and incredibly boring. They're introducing like 6 new regulars - they should be trying to drum up excitement, but instead every article makes it sound worse than the last.

The book just adds to the idea that they have given up on the idea of new viewers picking up or returning to the show.  Henry having the original book makes it hard to believe they can go any other way than eventually setting Henry, Regina, Rumple and Hook on a path to rediscover Storybrooke.  How is that supposed to work?  Or how is that supposed to not be completely frustrating and counter to the idea of rebooting and embracing a new story for returning viewers?

The interviews just underline for returning viewers that the show hasn't changed.  Be reassured.  They don't actually get that this isn't a good thing. 

Frankly they probably don't even realize how annoying the meta author stuff is.  They probably think they are giving returning viewers what they want.  Hey, there is technology now and uber.  Isn't fairy tale characters not really reacting to technology one of your gripes because Storybrooke was kind out of time and isolated.

BTW.  I looked up the definition of Capraesque (a term they used to describe Storybrooke).  I am annoyed (what's new) as I'm sure they meant Regina.

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Love 2

I was wondering how they were going to get Adult Henry to meet all these ex-fairy tale people in Hyperion Heights.  The Uber Driver thing is a very easy way to do it.  So I guess every ride will include Lucy declaring who the customer really is, and they'll find a reason to stalk these people and give them their happily ever afters?  Which is what?  

Adult Henry "dealing" with his lack of writing success is so meaningless since the "failed book" stuff is all just fake memories, right?  This doesn't even have the potential to replicate Emma's character growth in Season 1.  Adult Henry may be separated from Lucy but he didn't miss her whole childhood, from what we saw in the Season 6 finale flashback.  I wonder if Cinderella II missed Lucy's childhood, or if her separation from them were more recent.  

executive producer Edward Kitsis tells EW. “He is an Uber driver. He wrote one book called Once Upon a Time that we’ll realize has all the stories from the first six seasons, but it did not do well, no one bought it, and he’s a guy that’s kind of down on his luck looking for his place in the world.”

This is one thing I don't get.  Henry only wrote the stuff from Season 5 onwards.  Why would the book contain stories from Season 1-4?  

Edited by Camera One

I'd love to see the reviews of Henry's book.

"The beginning was really interesting with a really interest protagonist trying to learn about her past while dealing with her own self-esteem issues and saving a town. I don't understand why they decided to start focusing on the other chick who whines about everything even though she's the most successful character on the show."

"Why are the heroes held to a higher moral standard than the "redeemed" villains? I would have killed a woman who threatened to kill my child too."

"Damn. He can't keep track of what he wrote only several pages ago?"

"What the hell was the point of Hyde? That whole story line was random."

"Baby Neil hasn't aged in two years."

"I'm rooting for the guy whose village Regina slaughtered."

"Who's Lily's father?"

"That's seven hours of my life I'll never get back."

It will be amazing if Henry starts the sequel of the book with "Oh yeah, five of the main characters are gone now with little to no explanation! And here's Cinderella 2.0!" 

• Love 15
32 minutes ago, Domenicholas said:

I'd love to see the reviews of Henry's book.

I was thinking that too but hoping for actual reviews.

"Fueling itself with folklore, proceeds as if no characterization is required." Slate

"It doesn't quite know what it is" The Hollywood Reporter

"Once Upon a Time succeeds on charm but comes up short on logic." Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

I do wonder if Henry's book is a novel or a children's book?  Will it be illustrated?  Are there going to be drawings of Emma, Snow, and Charming in it?  I think they'll want him to be a serious author.  But I don't think they can resist illustrations.  I think they will want to show Hook, Regina, and Rumple seeing images of the people they don't remember.

Maybe Henry creates graphic novels.  But I doubt it. 

I'm a little scared that they are going to share too much of what is in that book and I will be forced to launch into a Roswell comparison which will involve flashbacks and rapidly devolve into... that's not what happened... that's not how that happened... stop trying to tell me what happened didn't happen that way... I watched it...you suck.

• Love 10

"My version is edgy and grounded and raw and a bada** actually," Ramirez says. "She's not this damsel in distress. Meeting the prince was [not] the end of her night, that was actually the beginning."

As edgy and grounded and raw and badass as Bandit Snow, I'm assuming.  I can't help but feel that this will be forced.  I really hate that they did the done-a-thousand-times-over "romantic interests meet by collision".  Henry has been so underdeveloped that they will need to invent a personality for him to have any character development.  So far I haven't read a spoiler which has made me go, "Oh yeah, that was something they never explored in the original series which will be interesting to see."  

"Regina was a multifaceted character," Anwar says. "So far... I haven't seen any sides to Lady Tremaine that isn't just God-awful yet, but I have to say I have tremendous pleasure in portraying a character that's just so mean. It's so fun."

Just wait.  

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, ParadoxLost said:

I was thinking that too but hoping for actual reviews.

"Fueling itself with folklore, proceeds as if no characterization is required." Slate

"Once Upon a Time succeeds on charm but comes up short on logic." Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

I do wonder if Henry's book is a novel or a children's book?  Will it be illustrated?  Are there going to be drawings of Emma, Snow, and Charming in it?  I think they'll want him to be a serious author.  But I don't think they can resist illustrations.  I think they will want to show Hook, Regina, and Rumple seeing images of the people they don't remember.

Maybe Henry creates graphic novels.  But I doubt it. 

I'm a little scared that they are going to share too much of what is in that book and I will be forced to launch into a Roswell comparison which will involve flashbacks and rapidly devolve into... that's not what happened... that's not how that happened... stop trying to tell me what happened didn't happen that way... I watched it...you suck.

I'd guess serious author given what A&E think of themselves. It'll be the "best" book ever written ever. Bigger then Harry Potter. It'll have sold more copies then the Bible. It'll be hailed as best and life changing even more then when the first Bible was written down. The Cult of A&E ah I mean Regina and Rumple will be created, A&E I mean Henry will go on talk shows to tell everyone how amazingly sassy Regina is and Rumple screwing everyone over. 

• Love 3
18 minutes ago, Camera One said:

"Regina was a multifaceted character," Anwar says. "So far... I haven't seen any sides to Lady Tremaine that isn't just God-awful yet, but I have to say I have tremendous pleasure in portraying a character that's just so mean. It's so fun."

I wonder who told her Regina was multifaceted.  I wonder if that person on hearing about this interview already told Anwar she's been multifaceted this whole time.

But in all seriousness, I think there is an outside chance that Lady Tremaine will just stay mean.  I'm not sure they are going to feel the need to make Lady Tremaine misunderstood now that Regina has moved fully into heroine mode.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, KingOfHearts said:

It looks like Henry's struggles to sell his "Once Upon a Time" book is another shameless self-insert for the writers. Didn't we get enough of that in the S4 finale with Isaac?

It will be easy to write present-day Adult Henry.  A&E can actually use how they felt as under-appreciated writers in Hollywood, where their self-esteem was trampled as no one understood their brilliance.  Lucy will help get Henry's creative juices flowing again and he can take a nap and get a chapter with illustrations done.  A&E keep forgetting - the job of the Author doesn't actually require any talent.

But in all seriousness, I think there is an outside chance that Lady Tremaine will just stay mean.  I'm not sure they are going to feel the need to make Lady Tremaine misunderstood now that Regina has moved fully into heroine mode.

Unfortunately, this is the only way that A&E know how to write.  The number of villains who had a softer side outnumber the ones who did not.  If Lady Tremaine stays on the show, eventually she will get that treatment (increased chance if A&E love how bold and audacious she is).  Even villains who end up being pure baddies still get a bone... Hades with that ridiculous falling-in-love-on-a-bicycle flashback, and The Black Fairy with her "sad" mother-looking-out-for-her-son backstory.   

• Love 2

Anwar didn't even know what Once Upon a Time was when she got the call about the part. I doubt she's watched the show. S1 Regina was straight up evil. There were no facets to her character other than a horrible person who enjoyed the power she had over others. I didn't see any attempts at making her multifaceted until "The Stable Boy" and even that left me scratching my head. Right up through the end of the season, Regina was portrayed as an evil, selfish murderer. S1 actually had fewer villain sob stories and made the heroes the ones we were supposed to root for.

That said, they are only filming episode 6, so it's not like they're super far into the story. With eight million new characters, maybe they just haven't had time to get to Lady Tremaine's inevitable sob story about how Cinderella ruined her life and deserves to suffer (along with countless innocent others) by living in Seattle and worrying about paying rent and whether they can make their car payments. Apparently, S7's message is that real life is the curse. How hopeful. I bet it will be super fun to watch.

• Love 8
6 hours ago, Camera One said:

I wonder who Cinderella's Fairy Godmother will be?  I'm really looking for them to really explore that character in this new reboot!

With this show.  Its likely Rumple again, either directly or after murdering the Fairy Godmother.

Thinking about it, Rumple going off with any combination of Hook and Regina and Emma with the purpose to help Henry is doubtful.  I'm thinking he has some motivation that takes him to this other version of the  EF before even Henry shows up.  I don't think they can give up the crutch they lean on which is Rumple manipulating all events and mentoring all the female villains.

Its starts to make it easier to understand how someone other than Regina, Emma, or Hook (Lady Tremaine) could have the knowledge to cast the curse

• Love 3
10 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I'd guess serious author given what A&E think of themselves. It'll be the "best" book ever written ever. Bigger then Harry Potter. It'll have sold more copies then the Bible. It'll be hailed as best and life changing even more then when the first Bible was written down. The Cult of A&E ah I mean Regina and Rumple will be created, A&E I mean Henry will go on talk shows to tell everyone how amazingly sassy Regina is and Rumple screwing everyone over. 

It will be like when Isaac does the book, Heroes and Villians, with the alternative version of the Enchanted Forrest in the season 4 finale. We see him doing a speaking/signing engagement complete with Regina fan girl.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, ParadoxLost said:

Nah, if he's a failed novelist, it's more likely:

Publishers Weekly: Fanciful premise of fairytale characters living in modern America and the story of how they came to be here never quite lives up to its promise in this debut novel. It starts strong, but quickly loses its way, with the heroine soon taking a backseat to the villain, inconsistent messages, and a complete disregard for the potential in its charming situation. Some colorful characterizations can't quite make up for a muddled mess of a plot rife with holes, inconsistencies, coincidences, and deus ex machina solutions.

Kirkus: There's no good sense of who the audience for this epic might be, other than adults who never outgrew their Disney princess phase or the kind of people who write love letters to serial killers. Probably won't stay on shelves long.

Random Amazon reviewer: Don't be fooled by the "look inside" sample. That's really the only good part of the book, and it's like that part really has nothing to do with the story. It really goes downhill from there. The main character at the beginning ends up sidelined, the villain suddenly becomes the biggest hero who's loved by everyone, and for some bizarre reason, every fairytale villain desperately wants to take over this one small town in Maine. It's like reading bad fan fiction. One star.

Though the real question is, is this part of the fake memories, and the curse is able to convince the rest of the world that this book exists, or has the curse been going long enough for the book to be written, Henry to get an agent, the agent to sell it to a publisher, the publisher to get it in stores, and for it to fail? Or is the failure maybe part of the way the curse works -- Henry has fake memories of publishing a book, but it was such a failure that there's no record of this book ever existing? The publisher doesn't remember it, it's in no stores, and it doesn't even show up on Amazon?

I'm sure in the world of this story, it will be the most brilliant book ever, but the world didn't recognize Henry's genius, or it's only the curse that made it fail. It's funny how a couple of writers who have worked on major series and have created and run two series seem to have this chip on their shoulder about being "struggling" writers who aren't appreciated. No wonder they identify with Regina, the underdog who's a queen/mayor, lives in a palace/mansion, and has magical powers.

• Love 8
11 hours ago, ParadoxLost said:

I also think there is a chance she could remain a villain, because there is a fair chance there will not be another season which is when they would have really focused on her redemption.

• Love 2

"Lucy, right now, has to bear the burden of the truest believer because her father no longer does," Kitsis says. "It is up to her to get people to remain hopeful. You’ll see a lot of Henry in her, and I think you’ll see a lot of her grandma, Snow, in her."

HER GRANDMA IS EMMA! Are they being serious with this?

• Love 19

“Lady Tremaine doesn’t like Cinderella very much and she’s got an agenda," Horowitz says. "But there is something broiling beneath that’s personal and painful that is driving all of this."

So, she is going to be just Regina 2.0, half-assed "redemption" included.

However, Kitsis adds: "He’s a good cop [with] a plate filled with temptation."

Wow,so new, so original, so groundbreaking, Hook is going to be tempted by the dark side (again).

8 minutes ago, Serena said:

They are stupid, so probably yes.

• Love 6

I swear the drinking games must be a blast every season getting the same crap with Hook and Rumple. 

Rumple so shady

Hook's moral code being tested

For a brand new show they're doing the same crap they've done for 5 seasons.

• Love 5
23 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

Maybe that's the big twist?

The other big twist is that apparently Hook lost an ARM in the off-season as I'm pretty sure he had two last we saw him. Sorry, but that whole article was just riddled with strange comments...

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Serena said:

It's Eddy. We can't really expect him to say anything that makes logical sense. Lucy's probably in the mental placeholder he's used for Henry all this time. So, Henry's grandmother = Lucy's grandmother. Next interview, we'll hear about Henry's WALLS.

Edited by Rumsy4
  • Love 5
3 minutes ago, PixiePaws1 said:

With that last spiel... Lady T turns out to be  the sad misguided redeemed villain and Driz is full on evil villain. 

And where the heck is Anastasia? (I'm not talking about the OUATIW version. That's her name in the Disney movie.)

Edited by KingOfHearts