Type keyword(s) to search

Spoiler Discussion: The apple was poisoned?!

• Start Topic

In some ways Lana really seemed to capture vintage EQ in that clip more so than she has in awhile.  She seemed more frustrated and driven, whereas often in the last couple of years the writing has been lazier with just campy snark.   There were also some nice little touches in that scene.  I am not sure Lana has the best voice professionally, but the song seemed to be tailored pretty well to her range.

Both previews have shown more fun and cleverness than you see in most episodes.  It does seem like a good deal of planning and effort went into this.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, KingOfHearts said:

To be honest, as a musician, I haven't been so excited for an episode of this show in a long time. I think the writers remembered they were writing Disney characters, if just for a split second.

To be fair, they brought on two different writers to write the actual songs so I wouldn't give much credit to A&E.

Regina's number had a very campy Rocky Horror vibe to it. It was good, I guess, but it was no Revenge. Once again proving that we're really lucky to have Colin O'Donoghue on this show of ours.

• Love 4
(edited)

To be fair, they brought on two different writers to write the actual songs so I wouldn't give much credit to A&E.

Which just goes to show you how entertaining the show could be in the hands of other writers. Songwriting is completely different from writing a narrative, yes, but the songwriters know how to utilize the characters in their own medium. A&E couldn't touch it as much because they were terrified of doing it in the first place. "We don't know what we're doing, so do what you think is best."

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 3

I haven't watched since season 1 but I had to pop in to comment. I watched the Mirror Mirror clip they released. What in the goddamned hell? That was embarrassing. It makes Frank Wildhorn look like Stephen Sondheim. Good Christ. And who told the actress playing Regina that she could sing? It's high camp but like the rest of the show, I can't enjoy it because the show seems to be taking it seriously. Like, on some level they think it's good. I will always prefer the 10th Kingdom which is nonsense but knows it's nonsense. Also, why is there still so much bad green screen? 

• Love 5
(edited)
36 minutes ago, aradia22 said:

I haven't watched since season 1 but I had to pop in to comment. I watched the Mirror Mirror clip they released. What in the goddamned hell? That was embarrassing. It makes Frank Wildhorn look like Stephen Sondheim. Good Christ. And who told the actress playing Regina that she could sing? It's high camp but like the rest of the show, I can't enjoy it because the show seems to be taking it seriously. Like, on some level they think it's good. I will always prefer the 10th Kingdom which is nonsense but knows it's nonsense. Also, why is there still so much bad green screen? 

I can't imagine the horror it must be for someone who hasn't watched since S1 to see what this show has become over the past 6 seasons.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 7

Ok just for once I will fangirl about my only OTP at Life!

I loved how both Jen and Colin have been involved in the cs wedding. I really don't know if it usual for actors.

But, all the writers and actors did care for the wedding even if I don't think overall cs had as much attention as people think. Everything sounds good for their wedding!!

Loved that Colin wanted a very vintage wedding dress!

(edited)

From the EW article:

Title: Once Upon a Time bosses say finale will offer closure

Closure, my Aunt Fanny.

“I would say that if this is the series finale, then you will have the usual opinions on a series finale ranging from the best ever to the worst ever, because that’s the internet,” executive producer Edward Kitsis says.

Not because your writing sucks?

Edward Kitsis says. “What I would say for fans is it will be complete, so they will not have any dangling threads that they’re like, ‘I can’t believe [it]!’ We’re not going for a crazy ending that everyone goes, ‘Well, what did that mean? I feel unsatisfied.’ We understand that this could be the last year. We feel like we completed this story and the next chapter of Once Upon a Time will be completely different.”

“By the end of the season finale, a lot of what we’ve been doing for the last six years is wrapped up, and we hope in a very satisfying way,” executive producer Adam Horowitz says.

There are ALREADY a billion freak'in dangling threads. How could any fan of ignored characters feel "satisfied", when practically this entire season was wasted on horrible plotlines, both retreads and retcons?

Arrgh, why do quotations on this board have to be so annoying... trying this again.

Kitsis adds. “We feel like, creatively, it’s time to end a few stories, but we feel like this is the kind of show that regenerates.”

"Creatively", or to cut costs. What he really needs is to cut the BS.

KITSIS: and the next chapter of Once Upon a Time will be completely different.”

With that said, the OUAT bosses insist that a seventh season wouldn’t be a complete overhaul. “We’re not designing this in a way where you say goodbye to everyone and never see them again,”

So which is it?

“If you think the reboot is going to be, ‘Oh my God, it’s Bashful and Sneezy on a road trip,’ the network did not go for that,” Kitsis quips.

He jests but that would be more entertaining than what they have "planned".

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 7
(edited)

Kitsis adds. “We feel like, creatively, it’s time to end a few stories, but we feel like this is the kind of show that regenerates.”

Which would work if this were more like Star Trek, and we had different crops of characters to play with. Rehashing the stories of the same main characters over and over again is not "regenerative". 

Edited by KingOfHearts

Nice to know Emma & Hook are separated before they can consummate the marriage. Those two can't catch a break. Honestly. Snow, the Black Fairy and the Blimp of Pointlessness all cockblocked them this season. Enough. This season needs to end not with them driving off as co-sheriffs or whatever, but boarding a plane for a relaxing honeymoon in Bora Bora.

• Love 8
4 hours ago, aradia22 said:

It's high camp but like the rest of the show, I can't enjoy it because the show seems to be taking it seriously. Like, on some level they think it's good. 

That's the main issue with the entire show in general. It's super campy, but they also take themselves way too seriously and think it's good.

Also, why is there still so much bad green screen?

They waste most of their budget on the Evil Queen's wardrobe.

• Love 4
(edited)
29 minutes ago, KAOS Agent said:

Nice to know Emma & Hook are separated before they can consummate the marriage.

Yep - and chances are very high that the season (series?) will end without us knowing that they actually had a chance to consummate it.

46 minutes ago, Camera One said:

One positive thing is that we likely will never have to endure another EQ vs. Snowing flashback! Can you even imagine a season without them?

Edited by Kktjones
Because clearly with and without mean different things :)
  • Love 1

Well, at least they are married. That's something, right?

And hey, judging from the pancake scene we had the other week, chances are the relationship might have been consummated long before rings were involved ;)

• Love 2

I'd be pissed if they have Snowing make a major decision like "Oh, we're leaving Storybrooke", yet there has been zero buildup or mention of it until the final episode.  They better not think something like that would be "satisfying" and "wraps up" their story.  

I think they're going with Snowing settle down in a nice little house in the country and raise their family and everything will be all peaceful and stuff. Which ignores them wanting to move back to the Enchanted Forest and have some adventures in S2 and the whole "I want to be Snow White again" thing in S5 and seems more reflective of Mary Margaret than Snow White, but hey, the curse was totally the best thing ever at this point, so Mary Margaret winning in the Snow White personality stakes just makes sense. At least Hook will be happy since his mother in law is less likely to drop in unexpectedly. Although I kind of hope he told Emma to have a conversation about boundaries and took back the key.

• Love 5
(edited)
2 hours ago, KAOS Agent said:

Nice to know Emma & Hook are separated before they can consummate the marriage. Those two can't catch a break. Honestly. Snow, the Black Fairy and the Blimp of Pointlessness all cockblocked them this season. Enough. This season needs to end not with them driving off as co-sheriffs or whatever, but boarding a plane for a relaxing honeymoon in Bora Bora.

For all we know that could be what happens. S7 is going to have CS in it so if they want to set up a CS pregnancy than as always with this show they have to give us an implied sex scene or aftermath.

Edited by cappoe
2 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

And hey, judging from the pancake scene we had the other week, chances are the relationship might have been consummated long before rings were involved ;)

Oh, it definitely was. 

• Love 1

Sorry, but Lana really can't sing. And she's in three songs? Figures... 

I guess I would be pissed too if I couldn't carry a tune, and was cursed by my sworn enemy to sing. lol 

• Love 4
(edited)

This tweet by Giles Matthey is part of what convinces me that Rumple will be dying for Gideon in the finale.  What I think will happen is that Fiona, who is supposed to face Emma in the Final Battle, gets killed off before she can (possibly by Rumple, either because he turns on her or because he planned it all along) but this somehow causes Gideon to be thrown back into the position of Emma's opponent in the Final Battle since she's got to have someone to fight.  In order to spare Gideon from death, Rumple will trade places with him.  They were being pretty heavy-handed with the Emma-Rumple parallels in 6x19, so that also lends credence to "Rumple is actually Emma's final boss" theory.  The Savior vs. the almost-Savior.

Edited by Inquirer
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Rumsy4 said:

Sorry, but Lana really can't sing. And she's in three songs? Figures... 

Yeah, I just watched the EQ song.  I saw others saying the singing was bad and thought, maybe it was just the song itself, so I made myself sit through the entire thing, waiting for the vocals to get better.  Sadly, they didn't.  I think she was trying to sing too rough and gravelly (eeeevilllll) and it just didn't work.  

• Love 1
(edited)

The songs are already available for download on Australian iTunes, so they may leak at any moment.

EDIT: Aaaaand the CS duet is already on Twitter. Beware! Or go seek it out, if it's your thing.

Edited by Serena
  • Love 1
(edited)
23 hours ago, Curio said:

I just finished listening to Regina's song and I can't even remember the melody. It's not as catchy or memorable as "Revenge" or Snow and Charming's duet.

It's starting to get stuck in my head today. Maybe it's because I've heard it a few times already. This musical is going to be insidious, isn't it?

Here's the rest of the scene after that script tease:
Emma: "What? You want me to fight her?"
Henry: "You're the Savior, Emma. Even if you die, at least I have my other mom."
Emma: "I'm glad you have that much faith in me, kid."

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 5

@KingOfHearts

Fixed it for you! :-)

Henry: "You're the Savior, Emma. Even if you die, at least I have my other  REAL mom and Gram and Grampa have their TRUE daughter! Regina is all we ever WANTED. If it wasn't for the fact that we NEEDED you to DIE, I would've never gone to get you!"

• Love 5

After listening to the final track from the musical, "A Happy Beginning", it really felt like that could be the end of the season/series. I know it would be a bit strange to end with a song, but given the lyrics and the way the chorus swells, it just feels like the end of a movie or something. Almost like anything that happens after that will be jarring. Maybe I'll just turn the TV off at that point and pretend Once is done forever and everyone got a happy beginning...

• Love 8

Honestly, I must be bless this year because I genuinely loved the wedding dress, the ring and love musical.

And, now love absolutely love the cs duets!! But why so short!!!

Probably help I don't have too much strong headcannon. In fact, my only deception is about Killian tux. I always saw him in a naval uniform but it's not big deal and the tux grew on me.

Since, I have lesser sake for the final I know I will be ok with whatever recon they do.

Bring Rumple the light and tlk Rumbelle just keep a little place for  Emma and co.

6 hours ago, Inquirer said:

This tweet by Giles Matthey is part of what convinces me that Rumple will be dying for Gideon in the finale.  What I think will happen is that Fiona, who is supposed to face Emma in the Final Battle, gets killed off before she can (possibly by Rumple, either because he turns on her or because he planned it all along) but this somehow causes Gideon to be thrown back into the position of Emma's opponent in the Final Battle since she's got to have someone to fight.  In order to spare Gideon from death, Rumple will trade places with him.  They were being pretty heavy-handed with the Emma-Rumple parallels in 6x19, so that also lends credence to "Rumple is actually Emma's final boss" theory.  The Savior vs. the almost-Savior.

I really hope not. It's no fun for me if Rumple dies. Not that I care for the charcater. I would just prefer he lives the rest of his life powerless.

• Love 1

Colin's singing voice sounds like his speaking voice, but Jen's sounds completely different. It's a pleasant, Disney princess-sounding voice, but it might take some getting used to. At least their voices sound good together.

• Love 2

You can change the country setting on your iTunes to Asia or Australia and listen to previews of the songs. It's interesting that the versions on iTunes are different than those in the sneak peeks. They are more polished and "studio" sounding than the others. 

As someone else mentioned, I was really surprised by Jen's voice. She sounds very "Disney Princess-ish". The CS duet is cute, but very very brief. 

50 minutes ago, Kktjones said:

The CS duet is cute, but very very brief. 

It's not like cutting a verse from Regina or Zelena's songs to make room to extend the main character's duet with her brand new husband was ever an option. 

• Love 5

The CS duet is actually not a dedicated CS song. It's a musical finale type number that includes lines from everyone in the cast. Yes, that means CS don't get their own song per se, but it's a good celebratory number for the CS wedding.

• Love 2

I love them all. They actually help remind me why I fell in love with all these characters to begin with.

the writers haven't always made it easy. But these songs have defintitely made me nostalgic for the days I just loved watching Once.

• Love 1

I just saw the Snow & Charming duet and it is absolutely delightful! Josh should really think about doing Broadway - he sounded fantastic! I showed all three sneak peeks to my GA sister and she actually likes Hook's song the best (but also really liked Snowing's). It's funny that they finally decided to do the musical when the show is winding down as it seems to be breathing new life into the show.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Kktjones said:

I just saw the Snow & Charming duet and it is absolutely delightful! Josh should really think about doing Broadway - he sounded fantastic!

They really do sound like they are characters in a Disney animated movie.  In one of the interviews Ginny mentioned Josh spent about 11 years in London West End productions.  I knew he studied over there, but did not realize how much musical theater experience he had.  This episode is shaping up better than I had thought it would - at least so far.

I watched the Buffy musical episode recently (trying to catch episodes on Netflix I missed the first time around before it was removed.  Hush was genuinely creepy).  Their musical episode was ok, but only Giles had a truly strong voice.  This cast seems to have a lot more in the pipes department overall.  Also, the songs have a bit more personality - the Buffy songs largely had a generic 90's pop sound, although the moment Buffy revealed she was in heaven was well-done.

• Love 1

Cannot express how much I hate it when they put  'sha na ns na na' into songs..!

The lyrics for A Happy Beginning  plus Emma's Theme are a gift to the CS Tumblr gif makers...and I cant wait for what they come up with. Going to be spectacular. So many talented and creative people out there.

I admit I cried listening to A Happy Beginning..

I hate the upcoming separations even more now.

• Love 1
(edited)

Early thoughts on Zelena's number... The music is great, and I love that she's singing it. My only issue with the song itself is the lyrics. They're too generic and don't reveal much of anything new about the character. She is being shoehorned into the flashbacks, and the words reflect that. I don't think it deserves an entire three minutes. I'd rather see her singing in the present about her desire to be accepted or even her relationship with her sister. Rehashing "wicked always wins" does no service to the character. The visuals might help make it more entertaining, but I don't think they'll warrant the song's existence. 

The Snowing vs. Evil Queen sing-off is cringe-worthy.

As for Emma's song, after hearing the whole thing... I adore JMo's singing voice, but the note-for-note remake of the show's theme was extremely distracting. I couldn't tell if Emma was pouring her heart out or the show credits started already. 

I have no complaint for A Happy Beginning. That's just sheer perfection. 

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 1

Okay we get it show, you can't do the Disney songs, you don't need have such transparent references.

A&E said they specifically chose not to do Disney songs because "that's not the story they're telling".

I adore JMo's singing voice, but the note-for-note remake of the show's theme was extremely distracting. I couldn't tell if Emma was pouring her heart out or the show credits started.

I tend to like songs that are based on themes we've heard before (for example, when they wrote new songs for the Disney musicals like "The Little Mermaid", "The Lion King" and "Beauty and the Beast" based off themes from the score).  But I can see how this one might be a little weird.

• Love 1
(edited)

I tend to like songs that are based on themes we've heard before (for example, when they wrote new songs for the Disney musicals like "The Little Mermaid", "The Lion King" and "Beauty and the Beast" based off themes from the score).  But I can see how this one might be a little weird.

I usually do too, but this just didn't work with vocals. It's too verbatim. When I heard they were doing Emma's theme, I assumed it was this, what played over Emma's apartment in the Pilot episode. I thought that would have worked better. The song she sings in the musical was always more of a main theme for the show as a whole. It has played in many situations that had little to do with her at all.

Edited by KingOfHearts