Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E11: Skinny Dipper

HalcyonDays

Canadian here. Episode aired earlier tonight. The caller is revealed in this episode, though as is to be expected, the person the characters think it is turns out to be a fraud. We learn the true identity right at the end of the episode. The twist isn't that hard to see coming; I correctly predicted who the real caller was the moment he first appeared on screen. I'm sure most of you will too.

Spoiler alert:

It's the shrink Henry is ordered to see.

Edited by Soviet Canuckistan
  • Love 1

Ok, Lucas cracks me up.  Sure, he's annoying and geeky but he made me snork a couple times tonight--just during the opening credits.   I also love Abe.  

The stories are ok....I like the concept.  But the co stars make the show for me most of the time. 

• Love 2

Ha, so Henry has been caught multiple times for swimming naked! I think the only other time we have seen him arrested was in one of the very early episodes. He's been an M.E. all this time but no one cared about his record until now? It did kind of crack me up when the police caught him on the bridge about to dive into the water. He should have just jumped anyway. It's not like they could have stopped him at that point!

I knew it was the shrink as soon as Henry told him he had his friend Abe to talk to and the shrink asked if he had someone closer to his age to talk to. Henry never mentioned Abe's age so that was a huge red flag. Later he was way too helpful looking up the patient who connected Raj and Richard which just confirmed my suspicions. When Clark Walker showed up and asked Henry to kill him with that sword, I knew there was no way he could be the real bad guy because duh, he's immortal. Killing him with that sword or anything else wouldn't serve any purpose.

I liked that as much as Lucas likes Henry, he immediately told Jo his suspicions after seeing Richard's body.

Huge nitpick: if Abe decided to close the shop and make it by appointment only while Henry's stalker was still out there, then why didn't they make an effort to lock the freaking door? We saw Henry have to unlock the front door which is how he initially found out that Abe had closed the store, but later he just opened the unlocked door (which is also how Jo got in and caught him with the knife). Later Henry unlocked the door to get in and then left it unlocked (granted Walker was already in the store by then but that's not the point). Come on! The whole purpose of closing the store was to make it harder for a crazy person to have access to Henry, but apparently they thought the "closed" sign was enough to keep people out so why bother actually locking the door?

• Love 4

Forever airs one day earlier in Canada (Monday's at 9:00 pm) for the record.

Really like this episode actually. Was excited when I saw Burn Gorman in the credits - TURN's Major Hewlett! Awesome. I didn't guess that he was "deep throat" but did think when I saw his name "Ah, man, I would love for him to be Adam...and he is! Excellent.

I thought for sure that Henry would have told Jo, but I totally understand why he wouldn't. He has centuries of being burned by people not believing him, so why would Jo be any different. And once again I feel so bad for Henry - imagine what tortures he went through in that asylum, and overall from people not believing. Poor thing. And I know the only way he can prove to Jo about his "condition" is to literally kill himself in front of her ( or be most definately killed), and tell her to meet him at the river.

Got a kick out of the cops making fun of him for skinny dipping. Did think it strange they didn't question him a little more over the murders..I mean there was some damning evidence. Liked that at this point, Henry is like "whatever" to the indecent exposure charges. He's used to it.

So how did crazy guy know the exact cut marks, flourishes that Henry has when performing an autopsy. And did like Lucas being honest with Jo right away. He has  sense of honour. Overall good episode - looking forward to the next one.

• Love 3

So, my initial observations from last night:

Well, judging by what occurred in the taxi, it seems that the body vanishes almost instantly after death, and the clothes and other personal effects go with it.  But they don't turn up on the resurrected body, so where do they go?  (And was that a rare and beautiful Mauser C-96 by the way?) 

Wearing swim-trunks is indecent exposure now?  If so, I know a lot of people who are in trouble!  And what about a bikini?

Henry never said how old Abe was, but the shrink said "...someone closer to your own age..."

Woah!  It is a Mauser C-96!

Woah!!!  I was right to be suspicious of the shrink!

OK, so how does the immortal shrink know so much about Henry to the point of being able to mimic the brushstrokes of his autopsy?  How did he get into Henry's place of business without being seen to steal the knife, and again to replace it?  Why is he fixated on Henry instead of living his own immortal life?  How long has this fixation been going on?  What exactly does he want from Henry?

• Love 2

When the music started playing in the shop and he went down the stairs, I was terrified he'd find Abe dead. I was so happy to be wrong on that point.

I should have known it was the shrink. Didn't know his name but it was definitely HITG syndrome.

• Love 3

WOW! What an episode!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Where to begin?!!?!    Lt Reese and Henry! ROFL! Twice he had to go to her office!  Sleepwalking Henry? ROFL! He had to go to a therapist! Hahahaha! The flashbacks.. I don't like his wife! She rubs me the wrong way! What kind of asylum was this?!!?! torturing patients?!!?! WHAT?!!  Was that hot water? Awful!!!! Henry telling Jo and the others half truth! Oh come on writers! Let Jo find out the truth from Henry that he is immortal! Let her be with him when he "dies" Come on please?!!?!!

The end of the episode! HOLY CRAP!!!! I gasped when I saw Adam!!!!!! A great twist!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I did NOT see that coming! DAMN I LOVE THIS SHOW!!!!!!! :)

Edited by sonyab
  • Love 4

I should have known it was the shrink. Didn't know his name but it was definitely HITG syndrome.

His name is Burn Gorman, he was most recently in The Dark Knight Rises. i know him as Owen from Torchwood. He always plays asshats so I knew he was the immortal the minute he showed up. It'll be interesting now that Henry knows who "Adam" is. 

I was hoping Henry would tell Jo the truth. I really enjoy their friendship. Plus it would help to have a NYPD Detective to call to get you out of the water so no charges would be filed.

I loved that the cops all cheered for Henry and gave him a speedo and goggles.  

I really like the characters on this show. Most of the cases are still weak but I don't even care. 

• Love 6

When the music started playing in the shop and he went down the stairs, I was terrified he'd find Abe dead. I was so happy to be wrong on that point.

Yeah I thought Abe was dead too! :( I was scared. Whew glad we were both wrong!

• Love 3

I knew it was the shrink as soon as Henry told him he had his friend Abe to talk to and the shrink asked if he had someone closer to his age to talk to. Henry never mentioned Abe's age so that was a huge red flag. Later he was way too helpful looking up the patient who connected Raj and Richard which just confirmed my suspicions. When Clark Walker showed up and asked Henry to kill him with that sword, I knew there was no way he could be the real bad guy because duh, he's immortal. Killing him with that sword or anything else wouldn't serve any purpose.

Yep I figured out that too.

Lucas's Highlander convo with Henry was fun and it was really sweet of him to put the blanket on him. Even Hanson is started to get more lines and a backstory.

• Love 2

*Pouty face* Hey! Adrian Pasdar was mentioned here as being the voice of Adam! The name (and voice) sounded familiar so I made a point of not looking him up on imdb so I wouldn't recognize him should he guest star. I would've recognized him if he had been Adam (*sniff* RIP Burn Notice *sniff*) but since the voice and actor were wrong, I didn't figure it out. /whining

Did anybody else give an audible 'aww' at Lucas putting the blanket on Henry? Or an inaudible one at the Lieutenant being all 'let's get the sonuvabitch'? 

• Love 2

Burn Gorman's face was made to play scary characters. Well, comedy would work too.

For a moment I thought maybe it was a magical sword that Henry was asked to use on the not!immortal. I also considered that maybe an immortal can kill another immortal.

• Love 3

Someone online spoiled it for me, very unfortunately. If I hadn't decided to check my LJ before watching the episode, I never would have seen her post, all excited about Burn being the guy. I'm still ticked. I mean, likely I would have been suspicious of him from the start because he's Burn and they wouldn't give him a lame ass role (I actually really liked him on Torchwood), and I definitely noticed when he mentioned Abe's age, but I hate being spoiled. It changes the feel of an episode from the start. I spend more time noticing the obvious details, rather than enjoying the ride. I still found the cab reveal to be creepy, but I think it would have chilled me a lot more if I hadn't been 100% sure it was him already. *grumble grumble grumble*

One thing I really loved was how Ioan played all his scenes, especially the ones where he seemed so astonished that these people in his life would actually go to bat for him, rather than immediately accuse him or betray him like the people in his past. It made me well up, in the end, when each and every person reached out to him in some way and he just stared at them in complete and utter amazement, like he was thinking, "You can't possibly believe me or want to be there for me in this way. I thought I only had Abe."

(I am also very relieved that Abe's okay. I don't believe they'd get rid of Judd Hirsch. He's too awesome in this role, and there's still so much more they could do with his character and his relationship with Henry. But it definitely scared me.)

Edited by sinkwriter
  • Love 4
When Clark Walker showed up and asked Henry to kill him with that sword, I knew there was no way he could be the real bad guy because duh, he's immortal. Killing him with that sword or anything else wouldn't serve any purpose.

I figured the earlier Highlander reference was meant as a clue (or anvil) that immortals can be beheaded. Because of it, I thought at first that Clark was asking him to do so because he'd had enough after thousands of years. Even so, it might be useful down the line with Adam. Heh, is his last name Pierson?

Edited by justmehere
  • Love 4

Someone online spoiled it for me, very unfortunately....I still found the cab reveal to be creepy, but I think it would have chilled me a lot more if I hadn't been 100% sure it was him already. *grumble grumble grumble*

I hate being spoiled too and wasn't for this, but it was so obvious that I doubt you would have enjoyed it more. *trying vainly to be comforting*

...(I am also very relieved that Abe's okay. I don't believe they'd get rid of Judd Hirsch. He's too awesome in this role, and there's still so much more they could do with his character and his relationship with Henry. But it definitely scared me.)

I was seriously worried that they had killed him off--so worried that I later almost wished I'd been spoiled that he wasn't in danger, LOL. Oddly, I was especially worried because Abe had dropped about 4 Yiddish references in the opening scene--it seemed to point to something, so when Henry raced home to no Abe with a sword weilding murderer in the house, I thought: Crap. They're killing off Abe so Judd Hirsch is just playing it wild and free.
  • Love 3

First of all, about frickin' time someone (and how wonderful that it was geeky Lucas!) mentioned "Highlander"!!  Heehee, loved it.  

Second, Burn Gorman!!!!! Man, I loved him in Torchwood (RIP, Dr. Owen Harper).  And he's playing opposite a Welshman again.  Someone said it above, he's got the face to play the psycho.  Only, please keep using your accent.  The American tone just sounds wrong.  I cringed a bit when he showed up as the shrink, but it was so lovely to hear him, until the unveiled him as Adam, sans British accent.

• Love 3

Second, Burn Gorman!!!!! Man, I loved him in Torchwood (RIP, Dr. Owen Harper).  And he's playing opposite a Welshman again.  Someone said it above, he's got the face to play the psycho.  Only, please keep using your accent.  The American tone just sounds wrong.  I cringed a bit when he showed up as the shrink, but it was so lovely to hear him, until the unveiled him as Adam, sans British accent.

I know him from Torchwood too, so when I heard his American accent in the final scene, I thought maybe it was dubbed because it sounded so natural, so I Googled him. According to https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burn_Gorman#Early_life he lived in the U.S. for his first 7 years, so I guess, like John Barrowman (Torchwood lead), Gorman could be described as truly across-pond bi-dialectical.
  • Love 2

it seems that the body vanishes almost instantly after death, and the clothes and other personal effects go with it.

Yet that pocket watch keeps coming back in one way or another, so where ever clothes and things go, they don't go far.

• Love 1

*Pouty face* Hey! Adrian Pasdar was mentioned here as being the voice of Adam!

Yep, I was totally looking for Adrian even though I knew Burn was a HIKTG and kept thinking 'He'd make a great Adam/Immortal. Wish he could be a recurring character' and lo and behold he was!

BG is back filming AMC's 'Turn' (he's less of a scoundrel and more of a comical redcoat foil with a sense of honor) so I'm betting he'll just be a voice over the phone for a while on 'Forever'.

Also if there is a regular to be offed in dramatic/tragic fashion, my money is it'll be Luke ::sob:: Abe is old and expected to die but Luke is young and has his whole life ahead of him so the bitter irony of him being taken out as well as how dismissive people are of him at times would have maximum impact. But honestly, I adore his adorkablness and professionalism and desire to connect with Henry. He seems to really like and admire him.

IG seems to really be having a blast playing this character and gets to display a wide range of emotion: vulnerability, protectiveness, curmudgeon, sass, arrogance, wit, and worldliness. The procedural/case of the week is really beside the point.

• Love 2

Yet that pocket watch keeps coming back in one way or another, so where ever clothes and things go, they don't go far.

Thinking about the Mauser pistol.  The body and clothes disappeared while the cab still careened along unpiloted.  But the gun could have simply fallen to the floor or seat or gone with the driver.  The car went into the water and presumably Burn Gorman's body resurrected there.  So, when a skinny-dipping Henry found it, it could have been washed there either from the car's resting place or the place of resurrection.  These two places might be fairly close together, so whether the gun went with the body or stayed with the car, it could have still ended up the same place.

I'm not sure why I'm so interested in pinning down the exact resurrection process, but while the resurrection in the nude offers the opportunity for some light humour, the question of what happens to clothes/personal effects seems inconsistent.  Yes, the pocket watch is a prime example.  Also, the absence of cops knocking on his door bearing bundles of clothes and asking embarrassing questions.

• Love 1

...I'm not sure why I'm so interested in pinning down the exact resurrection process, but while the resurrection in the nude offers the opportunity for some light humour, the question of what happens to clothes/personal effects seems inconsistent....

We seem to be given these rules: When Henry disappears, all of his clothes literally disappear except for the pocket watch, and all of his wounds disappear except for the first. I'm not sure yet about Burn Gorman's character's rules of immortality. Maybe the gun is his "pocket watch"?
  • Love 1

I forget - did the watch fall off while he was struggling to get out? Then I'd say that his clothes disappear (and are lost for good) if they're still on him but if they're removed beforehand, they'll still be on the scene - like in the pilot where Jo found his bloodied watch, or in this episode where his watch was still in the car.

But I do think they're inconsistent, because there must be times when he's wearing his watch and he dies and then we wonder, how did he get his watch back? (Maybe it's the watch that makes him immortal! LOL. I kid, and for the most part I recognize that this is something I'll probably have to ignore and/or hand wave, but seriously they should be more consistent.)

• Love 2

One detail I really liked in last night's episode: the claw marks on the inside of the cab, showing how desperately Henry was trying to get out before he drowned. That was chilling to see, and I liked both Jo's and Henry's reactions to seeing it. That kind of detail really adds to the moment, I think. It was disturbing.

• Love 10

I forget - did the watch fall off while he was struggling to get out?

Yes.  He dropped it while still pounding on the inside of the car window.  So, the watch stayed where it fell (in the car) because it wasn't on him at the moment of death.  One might say the same for the gun.  It could have fallen from BadGuy's hand (does he have an official name?) in the instant before death.

One detail I really liked in last night's episode: the claw marks on the inside of the cab, showing how desperately Henry was trying to get out before he drowned.

Chilling.  however, if it were me, I'd have been trying to kick the  window out, since leg muscles are stronger.

Just in case you're ever in a car that goes into the water -- it's vital to get a door or a window open before the car goes under.  Even just an inch will do.  If water can flow in, it prevents external water pressure from sealing the doors & windows as the car sinks. 

• Love 4

Just in case you're ever in a car that goes into the water -- it's vital to get a door or a window open before the car goes under.  Even just an inch will do.  If water can flow in, it prevents external water pressure from sealing the doors & windows as the car sinks.

I've read that before. In fact, when the cab was going into the water, all I kept thinking was, open a window, open a window!

• Love 1

Same here. As soon as the psychiatrist came onscreen and I listened to his voice, I knew he was Adam. He's creepy though. I look forward to seeing what the writers will do with this plot in subsequent episodes. I feel bad that Henry's lived for over 200 years, but I'd hate to be Adam and live for over 2,000 years. That would suck.

For a second, I worried that Clark was going to kill Abe. Thankfully that didn't happen because I really like Abe.

I can't help but like this show, even with its flaws.

One detail I really liked in last night's episode: the claw marks on the inside of the cab, showing how desperately Henry was trying to get out before he drowned. That was chilling to see, and I liked both Jo's and Henry's reactions to seeing it. That kind of detail really adds to the moment, I think. It was disturbing.

Yes! I noticed that too. Definitely a creepy moment because of the sense of desperation that those claw marks represented. Even though Henry's died numerous times, it seems he's still scared of death. By contrast, Adam doesn't fear death.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 2

Another good episode.  They really did make it look like the killer might have done something to Abe.  

I really liked that they believed Henry's stalker story and didn't think that he was the killer and I loved the other police officers ribbing him about swimming naked (and giving him the pair of goggles)

• Love 2

One of my fears is being trapped in a car underwater and a few years ago, I saw two season finales with people trapped in cars underwater and another one where someone survived a crash but couldn't get his seatbelt unbuckled so he was stuck in the seat for days. That was enough to wake my sleeping paranoia. I had done some googling but never gotten around to actually buying anything but seeing that many (fictional) people trapped motivated me to buy these keychains for everyone in my family. They will cut through a seatbelt and break open a car window. I also bought one of these to stay in my car at all times (two of these are installed in every new Dutch car). I hope I never have to use them, but watching this episode reminded me how glad I am that I spent a few dollars on these items. Seeing how deeply Henry clawed into the plastic in his desperation totally freaked me out!

It's true that if you roll down even one window just a little bit you are much more likely to be able to escape, but these days so many cars have electric windows that you may not be able to react quickly enough to remember to put the window down before the electrical system in the car shorts out from the water. [/paranoia]

• Love 4

Maybe I can alleviate some of that paranoia ElectricBoogaloo, the electrical system on a car still works for several minutes underwater (per reports and tests like on Mythbusters). Henry didn't know it but he actually could've rolled down the windows to swim out.

• Love 2

Thanks, that does make me feel a little better! I seriously appreciate when anyone investigates stuff like that, whether it's MythBusters or random people who post videos on YouTube. I was a little skeptical about the Resqme and the Lifehammer but thankfully there were a bunch of people who made videos of themselves testing both items on junk cars. Some of them even had the cars turned upside down to simulate what could happen in an accident. My paranoia salutes people like that! I will have to check out that episode of Mythbusters. I used to watch religiously but my watching has really declined in the past few years. The funny thing is that I thought this paranoia was just me, but when I gave one of those keychains to a friend of mine, she said that she drives over three bridges every day on her way to work and she is afraid of getting into an accident whenever she drives on them.

So was it just tv drama that Henry couldn't get the window down? Or maybe he was just so panicked that he wasn't thinking clearly? I can't remember if he tried to get the window open before he started trying to break it. I love technology but sometimes I think about back in the olden days when all car windows were manual and you could roll them down by hand.

• Love 3

I love spoilers, so I was not disappointed at all watching this episode and knowing from the beginning who "Adam" was.   To me, it enhances the enjoyment, because I can appreciate the little clues and ironies as they appear.

I continue to love this show and all its quirkiness.    I love the wacky balance of humor and suspense and creepiness.  

I also felt the anxiety about something horrible happening to Abe when Henry heard the music playing in the empty shop, even though I know there is no way the show is going to dump Judd Hirsch.    His character is just too endearing, and he helps to round out Henry's character.   

The supporting characters continue to entertain as their personalities evolve.   And now the creepy psychiatrist is revealed.   What fun!   I hope we get to hear of some of the adventures he's had along the way in his many-thousand year lifespan.   Obviously, he's taken the affliction in an entirely different direction than Henry has, but perhaps that's because he's just so worn out from outliving everyone and everything in his life.    

Imagine what Henry must think when he sees what immortality has done to a man who has endured it so much longer than he has.   It might make him fear for his own sanity if he doesn't fine a "cure."  

• Love 2

..So was it just tv drama that Henry couldn't get the window down? Or maybe he was just so panicked that he wasn't thinking clearly? I can't remember if he tried to get the window open before he started trying to break it. I love technology but sometimes I think about back in the olden days when all car windows were manual and you could roll them down by hand.

Henry doesn't drive, does he? So he probably doesn't know much about what to do in cars and might not even know how to operate electric car windows.

And the writers apparently don't frequent Internet sites with advice on what to do if you drive your car into a body of water. I never heard it before and likely wouldn't have thought about the physics in the few seconds when it mattered.

That sounds plausible, chitowngirl. And we did see that Henry wasn't able to exit the cab when Adam first locked the doors on him and drove off with him in the back. So he may have been trapped in that back seat. There was a partition blocking him from reaching any controls the front seat may have had to get him out. *shudders* That's even more chilling to think about. Horrific.

• Love 2

One of my fears is being trapped in a car underwater and a few years ago, I saw two season finales with people trapped in cars underwater and another one where someone survived a crash but couldn't get his seatbelt unbuckled so he was stuck in the seat for days. That was enough to wake my sleeping paranoia. I had done some googling but never gotten around to actually buying anything but seeing that many (fictional) people trapped motivated me to buy these keychains for everyone in my family.

I carry one of these in my pants pocket wherever I go.  I keep it sharp so it will do a seatbelt no trouble.  Also, it's built like the proverbial BSH, so I am confident it could bust the glass as well.  Hell, I think it could prize the door open!

I noticed Henry seemed to be pounding on the partition between front and rear, rather than an external window.  Not terribly familiar with NYC cabs, but I have the impression this partition is flimsier than tempered window glass. 

I noticed Henry seemed to be pounding on the partition between front and rear, rather than an external window.  Not terribly familiar with NYC cabs, but I have the impression this partition is flimsier than tempered window glass.

I would think so too, but that's TV for you! Gotta go for the dramahhh.  *GRIN*

I knew it was the shrink as soon as Henry told him he had his friend Abe to talk to and the shrink asked if he had someone closer to his age to talk to. Henry never mentioned Abe's age so that was a huge red flag.

This wasn't a tip off for me because I thought he was essentially being asked to go to the shrink in the same manner that some police officers after certain types of incidents are required to go to therapy. So if the department sent him, they probably also sent a file on him, which easily could've included info about Abe.

The tipoff for me was twofold: 1) just the fact that he was British. That coupled with the actor, who always plays creeps, and his general "something's up" vibe in their initial meeting, somehow screamed to me that they wanted us to not suspect him because he had a British accent, which is exactly why I did. It was a too-obvious "misdirect". Also he was too helpful about the patient. I would very much have expected an ethical shrink to refuse. Not that there aren't unethical shrinks who aren't immortal psychopaths, but this show has conspicuous patterns so it was an easy call from there, I think.

• Love 2

Well, considering it's New York and there is so much crime (well, everywhere, tbh), the partition between passenger and driver is going to pretty secure. I've seen cabs with metal screens between the front and back. Also, "Adam" engaged the child lock, so that Henry couldn't escape. Probably another thing cabbies frequently utilize in case someone runs off without paying. Just saying. So Henry was pretty much screwed from the get go.

I *think* this is a nitpick, but I haven't rewatched the episode yet. The knife that we see Adam pull out of the sheath and stab the cabbie through the seat with, had large serrations on the blade edge. At least it looked like it. And the blade was very slender. The bowie knife/murder weapon that we see later on that was used and belonged to Henry was straight edge and much wider. I was actually waiting for Henry to mention the serrations during the autopsy but he never did. Maybe I didn't see it right?

• Love 2
The knife that we see Adam pull out of the sheath and stab the cabbie through the seat with, had large serrations on the blade edge. At least it looked like it. And the blade was very slender. The bowie knife/murder weapon that we see later on that was used and belonged to Henry was straight edge and much wider.

Different crimes, different weapons. The hunting knife that was Henry's and used and found sticky with blood in his possession was used to do the autopsy murder, Smythe. The long slender sword (I didn't notice serrations on that one, only on the hunting knife?) was used to kill the cabbie through the seat, Raj. Basically the weapon Clark showed up with, asking Henry to kill him with, was much more similar to what killed the cabbie. At least that's how it looked to me.

• Love 1

That was a lively ep.

Who knew they waterboarded at Bedlam?! How very, um, topical! 

Still 'shipping Henry and Reece. Still grateful to the Contrivance Fairy for giving me more undressed IG.

Also from Mythbusters, if your windows are sealed, you will be able to open the doors no problem once the inside water pressure has equalized with the outside. You will know this when the back of the car comes even with the front. (Cars are front-heavy; the engine sinks faster than the trunk.) Of course, that takes a minute or so, so the trick is to stay calm so you can hold your breath longer.  Me, I bought one of those window-shattering hammers to keep handy, because I don't think I could stay calm enough to wait.

• Love 6

Different crimes, different weapons. The hunting knife that was Henry's and used and found sticky with blood in his possession was used to do the autopsy murder, Smythe. The long slender sword (I didn't notice serrations on that one, only on the hunting knife?) was used to kill the cabbie through the seat, Raj. Basically the weapon Clark showed up with, asking Henry to kill him with, was much more similar to what killed the cabbie. At least that's how it looked to me.

Ah crap, you are right. The bowie knife was used on victim #2 - the poor autopsy guy. I think I was waiting for Henry to point out the cabbie's knife wounds showed indications of serrations, but they didn't say that, and maybe Henry might have said a smooth blade was used. The weapon that Clark had was not serrated though. Forgot about the second guy - and shame on me, because his death was quite horrific.

The blade used to kill the cabbie was not serrated.  What appeared to be serrations was the hamon line caused by differentially heat treating the edge of the blade to harden it.   (A cheap blade may have a fake hamon etched on for appearances sake.)

The blade used by Clark Walker at the end looked similar -- red sheath and all.  But it appeared to be shorter, and to have a much coarser pattern on the hamon.

• Love 1

That was a lively ep.

Who knew they waterboarded at Bedlam?! How very, um, topical!

Still 'shipping Henry and Reece. Still grateful to the Contrivance Fairy for giving me more undressed IG.

The drama and suspense in this ep were ramped way up. Probably because the killings were so personal to Henry.

And I like that Martinez always trusted Henry--even at times she probably shouldn't have. Like when she walked into the basement and saw him with the bloody knife. She never drew her gun. Her hand never even moved towards her holster.

I still want Henry to tell Jo what's going on rather than her finding out on her own. She's very perceptive and trustworthy. I wish Henry would trust her more as a friend. But I understand his hesitation. They don't talk about Jo grieving her dead husband anymore.  But maybe her quiet seriousness and the small frown she always wears are enough to tell the story. I wonder if she was different before her husband died.  

• Love 4