Type keyword(s) to search

Beauty & Style Dislikes: What are YOURS?

PRgal
  • Start Topic

I never really "got" nail art.  Always found it tacky!  I also have trouble wearing nail polish that isn't a nude or neutral (darker browns and brown-based reds or pinks) unless it's on my feet.  Oh, and "shower curtain" earrings (i.e. big hoop earrings - that's what the head at my school called them when I was there back in the 90s)!  Can't do that, either.  I think it's those years at the school.  As for clothing:  shoulder pads on blazers and printed pants (sorry, not ready for that condo in Florida yet).  

• Love 2

I can't see paying a lot of money for nail art that will chip in a day or two. I hated most of the styles of the 80's and early 90's and I came from that era. I hated the big teased hair do's with the crunchy bangs. Nor did I ever like the mullet. I never liked blue eyeshadow or the streaky blush.

I never really "got" nail art.  Always found it tacky!  I also have trouble wearing nail polish that isn't a nude or neutral (darker browns and brown-based reds or pinks) unless it's on my feet.  

I love nail art, to the point where I can't stand just to have plain polished nails, I need one nail to have a little something on it. That said, I don't have dragon lady nails, & I think stuff like this is seriously ugly. I've been watching the show Nail'd It (which is thankfully done this week) & I have never seen so many ridiculous, ugly manicures in my life.

I love nail art, to the point where I can't stand just to have plain polished nails, I need one nail to have a little something on it. That said, I don't have dragon lady nails, & I think stuff like this is seriously ugly. I've been watching the show Nail'd It (which is thankfully done this week) & I have never seen so many ridiculous, ugly manicures in my life.

Wow, that is some seriously hideous nail work.

Much like you, I like to have one nail that is a little different from the rest (I do work in an office and have to maintain some professionalism in my look) and I usually paint my ring finger a lighter/darker shade than the rest and add glitter. decal, or stripes; subtle enough not to be distracting but different enough to be fun.

I like nail art, I wish I was better at it so I could do more. I really am not a fan of the super long nails or pointy nails; oddly enough I also don't like the squared off nails that seems to be so popular in my area.

My other big peeve is the light hair with the dark roots. Can't stand.

My other big peeve is the light hair with the dark roots. Can't stand.

I do not like balayage at all, it looks like your hair is growing out & you have 6 inches of roots. I have no idea why this look is so popular.

• Love 1

I dislike the trend of tops/blouses that look fine from the front, but have an entirely lace back. It feels so uncomfortable on. I received a light pullover sweatshirt for Christmas, only to realize there was a lace back that was not apparent in any of the photos prior to purchase.

The same goes for shirts with odd cutouts in the back. I bought one to try the trend, and the fabric was knotted above the cutouts, which made it even more uncomfortable.

Shirts that are see-through / that necessitate a tank/camisole beneath. "Oh, I bought a shirt that I need to buy another shirt to wear!" Crop tops are the same for me. Again, bought one to try, and I hate them but can layer them.

I still can't/feel weird about doing a smoky eye. It looks so dark when I apply it that I end up just lightening the whole thing to a grey.

Edited by AltLivia
  • Love 1

Here is both rolled up into one. I like red lipstick on most people, and dislike it on myself. Mostly because it ends up looking like bright pink or bright orange lipstick on me, even with liner and primer.

I had the same problem until I tried MAC Diva. It's a great matte red that doesn't pull orange on warm skin tones.

• Love 2

I had the same problem until I tried MAC Diva. It's a great matte red that doesn't pull orange on warm skin tones.

I think if you're a bold enough person to want to wear red lips, there is a red out there for everybody. I have a drawer full of trial and errors and I still haven't found the perfect shade. I think I'm coming to the realization that perhaps red just isn't my style on the daily. I love them on other people though. Mac Ruby Woo is a great red that looks good on many skin tones.

ETA: I'm going to try Diva today when I go to the mall today for the 3257th time this month. Happy Holidays

Edited by ryebread
  • Love 2

I cannot stand ombre hair.  It's a trend I've been waiting to die for a while now.  There's also something coming back that was big about ten years ago.  I don't know what it's called, but I fondly refer to it as skunk hair.  It entails one hair color on top, and a much darker color underneath.  It looks like badly matched hair extensions.

• Love 3

Ombre hair is where the top part of the hair is dark and the ends are a different color; usually lighter. Kylie Jenner is an example with her dark hair with green ends. Her sis, Khloe is a more subtle example with dark at the top that gradually fades to blonde at the ends.

• Love 1

I cannot stand ombre hair.  It's a trend I've been waiting to die for a while now.  There's also something coming back that was big about ten years ago.  I don't know what it's called, but I fondly refer to it as skunk hair.  It entails one hair color on top, and a much darker color underneath.  It looks like badly matched hair extensions.

Skunk hair was big for Asian guys a while back.  My cousins both had them.  Blech!  And I agree about ombre.  EWWW!

• Love 1

Yes! It looks like someone just chickened out in the middle of getting her head shaved. Plus, can you imagine the growing out process?

My search for the perfect red lipstick for everyday wear ended with Revlon Rich Girl Red. I have weird pale skin that I swear actually changes from warm- to cool-toned from hour to hour. If I'm fully made up I can pull off classic reds, but the RGR works with just tinted moisturizer.

• Love 2
(edited)

Yes! It looks like someone just chickened out in the middle of getting her head shaved. Plus, can you imagine the growing out process?

My search for the perfect red lipstick for everyday wear ended with Revlon Rich Girl Red. I have weird pale skin that I swear actually changes from warm- to cool-toned from hour to hour. If I'm fully made up I can pull off classic reds, but the RGR works with just tinted moisturizer.

Congratulations!  I'm still kind of looking!  The only reds I've found that worked for me have been glosses/tinted balms.  I want a REAL lipstick!

Edited by PRgal

Congratulations!  I'm still kind of looking!  The only reds I've found that worked for me have been glosses/tinted balms.  I want a REAL lipstick!

Hey PRGal, what is your skin tone/foundation shade? I am Chinese as well and lipstick is the only makeup I wear. I collect red lipsticks and have ones which cover the orange reds, true reds, blue reds, brown reds, berry reds, etc. I am quite fair for Asian girl though.

Hey PRGal, what is your skin tone/foundation shade? I am Chinese as well and lipstick is the only makeup I wear. I collect red lipsticks and have ones which cover the orange reds, true reds, blue reds, brown reds, berry reds, etc. I am quite fair for Asian girl though.

My go-to tinted moisturizer/foundation/BB/CC right now is Smashbox and the shade I use is light-medium.  I consider myself medium toned by East Asian "standards," but I think some people think I'm a bit on the "dark" side (as they assume I'm Filipina).

My go-to tinted moisturizer/foundation/BB/CC right now is Smashbox and the shade I use is light-medium.  I consider myself medium toned by East Asian "standards," but I think some people think I'm a bit on the "dark" side (as they assume I'm Filipina).

Since you have more of a medium tone, I think you should some orangey reds, warm reds, tomato reds, brown based reds, golden reds, tawny reds. A really orangey red and a classic from the 1950s is Revlon Fire & Ice. I have a number of Revlon lipsticks actually: they are affordable, widely available, pigmented, and I find the matte better than the MAC matter formula. A tomato red from the drug store would be Rimmel Kate Moss 01 (plain; more tomato) or 111 (matte version).

I can wear the aforementioned reds and the more cooler ones, but I avoid those that are too dark and too orange/coral since I am not as medium toned.

Good luck! I really believe there is a red lipstick for all women and it is a lot of experimenting.

• Love 1

Speaking of hair I can't stand the new trend where girls are shaving part of their head and leaving the other side long cause that's not cute at all.

Sadly not a new trend - a SIL was doing this 15 or so years ago and she wasn't unique.  At her age - probably 30ish at the time - it came off as a desperate attempt to be young and cool.  The ever present super tight tank shirt over her Rubenesque figure (to put it kindly), multiple piercings, multiple tattoos, ...said anything but cool.  It probably says she is a person who has never met a trend she didn't like.

Piercings, tattoos, tank shirts, etc...by themselves are not the problem for me nor do I think of them as desperate cries for attention.  But when combined in the quantity of my SILs...well that makes all the armchair psychologists in the family start to diagnose.

Way back when dinosaurs roamed college campuses, I did see a few haircuts like that I kinda liked.  But the look was almost asexual as both alt guys and alt girls would wear it.  I liked it best on girls with relatively short hair (no longer than a bob) and stick straight hair.  On longer hair and hair with more wave or texture, it just never had any appeal.  The SIL in question has always had long long naturally curly hair so I definitely did not like it.

I don't like asymmetrical hems, whether they're side-to-side or front-to-back, I mean, if someone else wears them, I don't care (I'm pretty open-minded about everyone wearing what they like; I'm sure some people think I look like an ass regularly) but I won't wear them. I'm also not a big fan of cutouts in dresses. Also, I do not like embellished back pockets on jeans (especially on men). But, to be fair, I prefer basic Levi's so this pocket whickety-wack is easy enough to avoid.

In a more shallow vein, I sometimes feel sort of pissy that skull and leopard motifs have become so, so mainstream! Yes, I am totally being "that guy" about it, I know...and it's just a tiny "pang" of annoyance. Back in my day, those things belonged to gin-soaked cigarette-smoking grandmas and punks, haha! That said, though, it is much easier now to replace my elbow-hole-riddled leopard cardigans than it used to be, so that's nice!

Edited by TattleTeeny

Oh dear. I have one embellished pocket jean, used to have an asymmetrical bob, and live the half shaved look. But, my hair is now back to being straight and getting longer than my collar bone. I rebelled against the jeans for a long time but where I live, they seem to be really popular. Some places I go, like to a rodeo type event or fair, I think they look good. Mostly, I wear skinny legged jeans. I'm very narrow but have large boobs. It's hard to dress for, but I really like A line dresses or tight jeans and a fitted shirt.

Hmm. So things I don't like? I don't like tons of jewelry. I'd rather see 10 gold bracelets on someone than jewelry on every finger, wrist, ear, ankle, and the neck. I'm pretty minimal with that.

I'm also not a fan of spray tans. I know it's healthier but so easy to mess up. I just stay fairly pale.

I think instead of really disliking certain things, it depends on where the person is going. I have very strange clothing items and also very, very simple.

I mean, heck, I just bought a red cape with a hood (because little red riding hood was so cute in Into the Woods,) a cropped light pink lace top, Aqua jean shorts, and then some very simple items from Rag and Bone.

None of that really would fit the same style. But I'm going to wear it all various places. The cape for walking downtown or by the river. The cropped top with a sweater for a dive bar or with a skirt for a picnic. The shorts for Six Flags. The Rag and Bone stuff for daily wear/early dinners/shopping at the mall.

• Love 1

Another new pretty red is the latest MAC Diva shade ($ to AIDS research y'all!!). There's a lipstick AND gloss, and I wear the gloss alone at work, it's really pretty.

I agree.  That's another one that suits a lot of different skin tones.  (Sadly, not mine)

Kyle Richards from Real Housewives of BH was wearing Mac Russian Red last night on Watch What Happens Live.  It's another really nice Mac shade.  But it was too harsh on her.  It made her lips look like a bloody, hard, gash on her face.  I think if she had lined a slight, rounded cupid;s bow on the top lip, they wouldn't have looked so straight across and hard.  I'm pretty sure a make-up artist did her face last night, though.

I mean, heck, I just bought a red cape with a hood (because little red riding hood was so cute in Into the Woods,) a cropped light pink lace top, Aqua jean shorts, and then some very simple items from Rag and Bone.

None of that really would fit the same style. But I'm going to wear it all various places. The cape for walking downtown or by the river. The cropped top with a sweater for a dive bar or with a skirt for a picnic. The shorts for Six Flags. The Rag and Bone stuff for daily wear/early dinners/shopping at the mall.

Oh, thank God. I thought for a second there that you bought all that stuff to wear together. I was having a hard time picturing it, but what I got did not look good together. Separately, they might be fine, but together, just no. I wish I could wear capes without feeling silly. I really like the way they look, but if I wear them, I feel like I'm putting on a character.

• Love 1

Kyle Richards from Real Housewives of BH was wearing Mac Russian Red last night on Watch What Happens Live.  It's another really nice Mac shade.  But it was too harsh on her.  It made her lips look like a bloody, hard, gash on her face.  I think if she had lined a slight, rounded cupid;s bow on the top lip, they wouldn't have looked so straight across and hard.  I'm pretty sure a make-up artist did her face last night, though.

I thought she looked awful in that color too!  She needed to go a shade darker.

Oh dear. I have one embellished pocket jean, used to have an asymmetrical bob, and live the half shaved look. But, my hair is now back to being straight and getting longer than my collar bone. I rebelled against the jeans for a long time but where I live, they seem to be really popular. Some places I go, like to a rodeo type event or fair, I think they look good. Mostly, I wear skinny legged jeans. I'm very narrow but have large boobs. It's hard to dress for, but I really like A line dresses or tight jeans and a fitted shirt.

Hmm. So things I don't like? I don't like tons of jewelry. I'd rather see 10 gold bracelets on someone than jewelry on every finger, wrist, ear, ankle, and the neck. I'm pretty minimal with that.

I'm also not a fan of spray tans. I know it's healthier but so easy to mess up. I just stay fairly pale.

I think instead of really disliking certain things, it depends on where the person is going. I have very strange clothing items and also very, very simple.

Oh, that's all OK--I swear, I don't glare at people who wear this stuff (or, if I do, I would never let them see me do it because that's rude and unnecessary). I just mean it's the stuff I avoid when shopping, and that sometimes it gets on my nerves because it's all over the place. It's hard to avoid embellished jeans pockets--even Levi's has added to the standard chevron-shaped thing, those jerks. Like I said, though, everyone should wear what the want (and, please--I have to drive the BF to work in an hour and do some errands too, and I have no plans to change out of the old oversized men's sweatpants I slept in to do it). 

I'm probably sometimes an over-jewelryer! I just have so much stuff (I love flea markets and grandmas' jewelry boxes and vintage stores) that I sometimes feel like I have to make myself wear too much in order to justify my crazy purchases (though, half the time, any bangle or long necklace that taps on my desk at work too much gets taken off and set aside--and for some reason, it ALL has to come off the minute I get home at night).

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 1

Leggings as pants is getting overdone and tired. I swear yesterday I worked, hit the gym, and 2 stores on errands every woman I saw had on leggings. And several men too. I'm not really judgy if you're working out but I worked with one woman for a couple years and another is my neighbor I never seen them in anything else.

• Love 2
Leggings as pants is getting overdone and tired. I swear yesterday I worked, hit the gym, and 2 stores on errands every woman I saw had on leggings. And several men too. I'm not really judgy if you're working out but I worked with one woman for a couple years and another is my neighbor I never seen them in anything else.

I am a petite lady with short legs so jeans that claim to be short are still too long for me and I have to cuff them or pay to get them hemmed.  I wear leggings a lot simply because they fit my legs and they are comfy and easy to wear; they stay in place (!!).  I don't wear them ever day because yeah it can get over done but I just like the ease of them. 

A trend I hate....UGGS!  Barf, just barf.

• Love 1

I can see the appeal of leggings on a comfort & practical basis, but I've got to say seeing people wear them, especially with shorter shirts and outside the gym/exercising, just makes me judgey.  I'm not typically hyper-critical of what others choose to wear, but I find myself thinking "Really?  You think that is flattering?".  I do see people who look really great though and think "if there were a legging license; you could get one" or "if I had your butt, I would wear them too".

I hate people who wear pajama bottoms in public, but only because I am too old and can't bring myself to do it out of fear my Mother would die of shame if she ever found out.  Pajama People - I hate you because I envy you.

• Love 4

I'm sick of pajamas as actual clothes and leggings as pants, too! I saw a woman at the grocery store yesterday wearing not only pajama pants but actual slippers, as well. Maybe I'm just old fashioned but I feel like if they are used for sleeping and actually look slept in, they shouldn't be worn outside the house. Has it really gotten so hard to just throw on a pair of jeans?

• Love 2

I'm sick of pajamas as actual clothes and leggings as pants, too! I saw a woman at the grocery store yesterday wearing not only pajama pants but actual slippers, as well. Maybe I'm just old fashioned but I feel like if they are used for sleeping and actually look slept in, they shouldn't be worn outside the house. Has it really gotten so hard to just throw on a pair of jeans?

Did she look like she knew she had slippers on? After my son was born, I almost left the house in my house slippers instead of shoes several times. I was wearing mostly slip-on shoes and only putting them on to leave the house. I would just forget that I hadn't put on actual shoes. I always remembered, but at least once, it was a pretty close call.

I'm pretty sure I've run to the store for snacks or smokes in pajama-like pants and flip-flops. I don't think I've gone anywhere that wasn't a short jaunt though (with the exception of taking the BF to work last weekend, but I did not get out of the car). And I am guilty of leggings as pants (I like them with ballet flats in the warmer weather, and they're good with boots in the cold), but only with butt-covering shirts and sweaters (because if I'm wearing leggings as opposed to a dress, I'm probably feeling in the mood for basic comfort). I have a good enough butt (is that terrible to say about oneself?) but I still feel overexposed, even though mine are nice and opaque.

Oh, also: I volunteer at an animal shelter. I usually wear jeans but I'd probably wear leggings there too.

Edited by TattleTeeny

The quick run to get snacks in jammies is understandable, but you shouldn't smoke so that is a DeLurker Don't.  In the future, if you must get smokes, you must put on proper clothing as a penalty.  Maybe something appropriate for the opera.

I don't think it is terrible to say you have a good enough butt.  Chances are, you've had outside reinforcement of this, so that works in my world.

It's awesome you volunteer at the animal shelter. 

• Love 1

I hate, hate, hate ruffles of any kind. Give me clean lines, preferably in solid colours. An interesting detail is ok, like a triangle cut in the front or even better in the back, or openings on the arms, but please no ruffles.

Also hate dresses that look like little girl dresses, tied up in the back. Especially for pregnant women. They're pregnant, they're not 5!

• Love 3

I hate, hate, hate ruffles of any kind. Give me clean lines, preferably in solid colours. An interesting detail is ok, like a triangle cut in the front or even better in the back, or openings on the arms, but please no ruffles.

For me, it's the peplum. I don't think even most models can make the peplum work. It works in the historical context because everything was voluminous in the olden days, but now it looks makes the outfit look big and bloated. It's not that subtle I find.

• Love 3
For me, it's the peplum.

I would have seconded that two weeks ago, but then, on my birthday, I got a too wide top with holes on the top arm area (not a good description, but I hope you see what I mean) and wore it with a belt on top of a straight skirt. The outcome was a bit peplum but surprisingly flattering - and I'm no model shape, but I still have a thin waist, and it did work, to my utter amazement!

• Love 1

Also hate dresses that look like little girl dresses, tied up in the back. Especially for pregnant women. They're pregnant, they're not 5!

I was of like mind until I got pregnant.  Dresses that tie or somehow are cinched in the back allow room for expansion.

I hate polka dots (regardless of size).  A loathing developed as a small child, but it still stands.

I was of like mind until I got pregnant.  Dresses that tie or somehow are cinched in the back allow room for expansion.

I hate polka dots (regardless of size).  A loathing developed as a small child, but it still stands.

Oh Delurker, come on now :) I was pregnant and lived with (expandable waist) pants and sun pleat skirts most of the time. They looked so great that I still regret passing them on to a friend who moved away while pregnant and never gave them back. I swear I would still wear them otherwise! Especially that one sun pleat skirt - so roomy and light, perfect for summer weather and VERY flattering!

And I do like polka dot, medium size, on tops, but only in white polka dots on black backgroung. I swear I must have a weird fetishism for B&W because that's how I like my fav pictures, and how I dress (with some red or purple added), but not how I dream - thankfully my dreams are full technicolor ones.  

I would have seconded that two weeks ago, but then, on my birthday, I got a too wide top with holes on the top arm area (not a good description, but I hope you see what I mean) and wore it with a belt on top of a straight skirt. The outcome was a bit peplum but surprisingly flattering - and I'm no model shape, but I still have a thin waist, and it did work, to my utter amazement!

Ahh, I think that worked because you made the peplum effect with a belt. I like to employ belts as well to define my waist. I think when the peplum is built in as a feature to a top, it usually fails for me though. I'm glad you've made it work. That always makes me feel good with an outfit. :)

• Love 1

I'm just starting to look around for some maternity clothes and bought online a sundress with small light blue flowers that ties in the back. I like looking young and sweet. I'm not that sweet, but it gives off a better first impression. Plus, I'll be heavily pregnant in the late summer (100+ here). I think it will look okay and be comfortable for lunches out or going shopping.

• Love 1

Actually I don't think I bought maternity clothes - just got some roomier stuff a size or two up.  I didn't put on weight all over - just my breasts (which I could not wait for them to go away - there quite uncomfortable) and I looked like I swallowed a basketball. 

Beauty

Actually I don't think I bought maternity clothes - just got some roomier stuff a size or two up.  I didn't put on weight all over - just my breasts (which I could not wait for them to go away - there quite uncomfortable) and I looked like I swallowed a basketball. 

I hate you. I put on weight all over. I was not one of those cute pregnant women. Think Alyssa Milano on Project Runway All-Stars. I was huge, and my baby was only 6.5 pounds. And I didn't gain that much weight, just sort of normal. It just went everywhere. I did have cleavage for the first (and only) time in my life, however.