Type keyword(s) to search

Beauty & Style Dislikes: What are YOURS?

PRgal
  • Start Topic

This ad is typically how I feel about booty shorts with words on them. I've only seen one girl at my gym wear them & she was wearing a sports bra, a full face of make up, completely styled hair & was "helping" her boyfriend workout. Me, in my ratty t-shirt, generic sweat pants & hand me down ball cap, looked on sweaty & red-faced in horrified awe. I think hers read Juicy, which I know is a brand, but your butt doesn't need to say it. I'm old.
  • Love 7

I want to know how she was able to move and squat so much in them if they were that tight. I remember (many, many years ago) lying on the bed and sucking in to zip up jeans and then having to maneuver around to get up because I couldn't bend at the hips until I'd worn the jeans long enough to loosen them up a bit.

I want to know how she was able to move and squat so much in them if they were that tight. I remember (many, many years ago) lying on the bed and sucking in to zip up jeans and then having to maneuver around to get up because I couldn't bend at the hips until I'd worn the jeans long enough to loosen them up a bit.

I remember those days too.

Had a terrible night's sleep last night so migrated to the couch in hopes of falling asleep in front of the tv.  Saw a commercial for Jeaneez - a product I never heard of.  They are tights that look like skinny jeans available at the incredible off of Buy 1 Get 2 Free.  I got to believe that is a style choice someone will regret in later years.

• Love 1

I remember also dressing up for birthday parties AND getting a new party dress for my birthday. I grew up in the south, where your devotion to your little girl was measured by the size of the bow on her head.

My parents always made us dress up to fly (and this was in the 80s/90s, not the dawn of the aviation era). So I wore Sunday clothes, pantyhose and dress shoes on long flights as a matter of course. The first time I flew in a plane wearing jeans was in college, and it was heaven. :)

Count me as another person not fond of skinny jeans. I also dislike visible bra straps. If you need a real bra under a spaghetti strap top, get a strapless one or find another top. Gauzy, semi-sheer cardigans are another dislike-  if it doesn't cover anything up and doesn't keep you warm what is the freaking point?? And I really hate 90's-themed parties thrown by kids who think Pearl Jam is some artisan breakfast spread - don't you whippersnappers mock our flannel shirts, dark lipstick & grunge music. Get off my lawn!

• Love 4

My parents always made us dress up to fly (and this was in the 80s/90s, not the dawn of the aviation era). So I wore Sunday clothes, pantyhose and dress shoes on long flights as a matter of course. The first time I flew in a plane wearing jeans was in college, and it was heaven. :)

And I really hate 90's-themed parties thrown by kids who think Pearl Jam is some artisan breakfast spread - don't you whippersnappers mock our flannel shirts, dark lipstick & grunge music. Get off my lawn!

Your parents made you dress up to fly? I hope you didn't have to go to Asia or Australia!

As for those 90s themed parties kids throw: I recent saw a girl who was maybe 23, tops wearing a plaid shirt tied around her waist and Doc Marten like boots. I was thinking "was she even BORN when that look was in?"

(edited)

But that look and those pieces of clothing never stopped being "in." It was a normal thing well before the 1990s for lots of people--though I admit that those people were not generally trying to create a "style" so much as getting dressed to go to work or school.

I actually have worn skinny jeans to help move my grandma out of her Hurricane Sandy-destroyed house. I find them as comfortable as anything else in my collection of various-style jeans. 

As for visible bra straps, I'm fine with them in general, just not gnarly old discolored white ones (not that I own a white bra). Looks the same as layering two sleeveless tops and strapless bras are uncomfortable and make lumps appear in all the wrong places (and I am generally of the lump-free variety).

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 1

Two horrifying trends that may or may not be big outside of California.....

Girls: Wearing a t-shirt over a bikini with flip-flops but no shorts or pants. I was at UCSB the other day and saw more than one person rocking this look, and not at the beach but in line at Starbucks on the main street. I realize the signs say "no shoes, no shirt, no service" and don't say anything about pants, but isn't that pushing it?

Guys: "Dudes in Startup Shirts". Enough said.

But that look and those pieces of clothing never stopped being "in." It was a normal thing well before the 1990s for lots of people--though I admit that those people were not generally trying to create a "style" so much as getting dressed to go to work or school.

That was what irritated me about the grunge look in the 90s. I was wearing flannel shirts long before that just because they were comfortable, and suddenly, it was like everyone thought flannel was invented in Seattle.

• Love 3

My parents made me dress up to fly. When I was a kid I would fly cross country and back every summer by myself. Always wore dress and cute little shoes. I still dress up (sort of) to fly. Now I'll wear jeans, but they must be nice jeans, and typically a long sleeved shirt of some sort and knee-high heeled boots. The idea of wearing shorts or a skirt without pantyhose on a plane ... I just can't.

That was what irritated me about the grunge look in the 90s. I was wearing flannel shirts long before that just because they were comfortable, and suddenly, it was like everyone thought flannel was invented in Seattle.

I was in high school in the late '80s, and flannel and boots was the standard for a larger percentage of the guys I knew before and after that. Metalheads from working-class families, mainly, in a not extremely fashion-conscious Jersey town. Of course, because it was the '80s, there were the Cavaricci-wearing ones and some preppies too, but "my" circle has kind of stayed the same over the years. And also of course that attire blew up a few years later and became a capital-S Style, but it really is a mainstay for many. (I always had my dad's old flannels because I was an art student--good for keeping paint off yourself (and I was Grunge Era college-ready!).

• Love 1
My parents always made us dress up to fly (and this was in the 80s/90s, not the dawn of the aviation era). So I wore Sunday clothes, pantyhose and dress shoes on long flights as a matter of course.

Oh man, that's depressing. I usually wear yoga pants and sneakers on flights. The thing with flying is that I always have to make sure I have a hoodie or sweater in case it's cold on the plane. I also make sure the kids wear long pants and pack hoodies for them as well in the carryon. I hate being cold on airplanes!

Saw a guy jogging in a high end shopping district last night wearing short shorts (think 1970s/1980s basketball jerseys), shoes and nothing else.  At least he was in fairly decent shape.

In the 70's and early 80's, people dressed up to fly.  they also dressed up to go shopping (downtown Chicago), to museums, etc. You just didn't go out in public without being dressed up.  

I was in high school in the 70's and school dances - not proms, just the sock-hop type of casual dances in the school gym - had a dress code.   Girls had to have dresses or skirts, no pants allowed.  Same rule as church, actually.  

• Love 1
(edited)

You just didn't go out in public without being dressed up.

Now people wear pajama bottoms in public.

One style I don't like is when girls purposely let their bra straps show.

Edited by BatmanBeatles
  • Love 2

In the 70's and early 80's, people dressed up to fly.  they also dressed up to go shopping (downtown Chicago), to museums, etc. You just didn't go out in public without being dressed up.

I didn't dress up when I was a kid except for church and school pictures and other occasions when I was forced to do so (not flying because we never flew anywhere). Now, though, I do like to dress nice to fly, although not really dressed up. I just like to wear nice khakis (or corduroy pants in winter) because they're comfortable and a nice blouse or sweater -- not a T-shirt unless I'm traveling on a group trip and everyone is wearing the trip T-shirt. To me, sweatpants are for bed or exercise when it's cold, not for wearing anywhere. And I've got nothing against nice flip-flops (not plastic pool ones, but leather), but I don't wear them to fly because I can't run through the airport in them if I need to, and since a flight is usually late, I usually have to run to get to the next flight. I do wear slip-on shoes for security lines, but something I can wear with socks because planes are cold. I think nice jeans are OK to fly (I have problems with intentionally ripped jeans and jeans with holes -- they're for working around the house, not to wear out), but I don't wear them because I find jeans constricting and uncomfortable if I have to sit in the same place for a long time.

I just want to look as though I didn't just roll out of bed and jump on the plane, but that I made an effort to look decent in public.

(edited)

I've actually found some really nice knit pants from Lands End - their Starfish line.  They are as comfortable as sweats, but look nice enough to wear anywhere.  They're my choice for flying. 

I don't have flip-flops.  The thing between the toes makes me nuts.  AND I have to have arch support.  I got some nice sandals from Clarks, and a pair from Crocs that are the equivalent.  But on an airplane?  have to have socks and shoes, or my feet freeze.

I think there was a huge change in how people dressed in the 70's.  Early 70's, there was an expectation of being dressed up always, if you went anywhere.   By late 70's, things went 180 degrees in the opposite direction, and jeans and t-shirts were kind of the "uniform"  for everywhere.  (at least in Chicago)

Edited by backformore
  • Love 1

I think the big difference between how people dressed to fly in the 70s & today is how different the whole experience of flying is. Back then, there was actual room in the plane, with bigger (and fewer) seats, people weren't treated like cattle or things that the airline employees had to put up with, you didn't have to go through all the security, there weren't all the restrictions on luggage, etc, etc, etc. Now, you're jammed into a plane like sardines, airline employees can be really rude, you have to let strangers put their hands on your body to get through security, meals are very often BYO, & you have to pay extra for luggage. Why would anyone dress up for the privilege of being treated like crap? 

• Love 4
(edited)

I think the big difference between how people dressed to fly in the 70s & today is how different the whole experience of flying is. Back then, there was actual room in the plane, with bigger (and fewer) seats, people weren't treated like cattle or things that the airline employees had to put up with, you didn't have to go through all the security, there weren't all the restrictions on luggage, etc, etc, etc. Now, you're jammed into a plane like sardines, airline employees can be really rude, you have to let strangers put their hands on your body to get through security, meals are very often BYO, & you have to pay extra for luggage. Why would anyone dress up for the privilege of being treated like crap?

Yeah, but people don't dress up to fly in business or first either. Unless they have to head to a meeting as soon as they land. Maybe.

Edited by PRgal

I have old Eastern Airlines dinnerware - small appetizer plates made of real china with a silver border.  Probably only appropriate for dressed up fliers!

The transition to more casual wear was hard on me.  I resisted "casual Friday" for many-a-year because it just did not seem "corporate".

The hardest for me to adjust to was casual wear to church.  I grew up going to church every Sunday and you had special "church" clothes that were barely worn any other time.  When people started to show up to church in jeans, I was certain the roof would collapse.  Even in college, where wearing super casual clothes (shorts, t-shirts, tank shirts pulled on over a bikini top, ...) was the norm, I still needed to dress for church.

Is it my imagination or are flip-flops kind of fading a a trend? They'll never go away (unless the beach goes away), but it seems to me that 5 years ago, shorts- (and short-skirt-)wearers would always wear flip flops, and jeans-wearers would sometime wear them. Now, from what I observe, shorts-wearers often have shoes on and jeans-wearers almost always have shoes on.

I also never understood how anyone would wear flip flops in particularly dirty cities like NYC and Boston. Or in an airport, where you have to take them off to go through security. ewww.

I hate french manicures, but I find them particularly distasteful when done on toes.

For me personally, I would never wear open toe shoes, flip flops, etc., without my toes being painted and looking nice. 

I hate fedoras. They only look good in old movies and on older men dressed in suits on the way to church or something. When worn 'ironically' by hipsters and the like, I just hate it.

Speaking of hats, I hate this style hat:

82a2d289a0794372a1292ab6b439a92a.jpg

Feel like it is worn at the beach by a lot of real housewives wannabes. ugh!

I can't wait to the Kardashian 'set the makeup gun to whore' style of makeup application trend dies.  I just don't believe I should be able to see a person's foundation caked on their face. Also, I'm seeing a lot of terrible contouring out here. Yikes! 

Platform stilettos are just inherently tacky to me. Kinda feel the same way about red leather clothing of any kind outside of a jacket/coat and even than it depends.

• Love 2

I hate french manicures, but I find them particularly distasteful when done on toes.

I don't hate French manicures on fingers, but toes is a different story. I just think it looks incredibly stupid, especially when you get down to the tiny toes.

Only reason to dress nice when flying would be for upgrades - happened to me twice! whem coming straight from work and probably looking hassled. The other times I tried the looking nice vibe did not work.

On the other hand, my very overweight mother got upgraded half of the time on her long haul flights back from visiting us in Hong Kong - but never from Singapore! Obviously, criteria differ from country to country, or airline to airline. (So Air France and  Cathay are more sympathetic to large people than Singapore Airlines? while I cannot say  it's always so, my empirical experience is so.)

Talking about long haul America-Europe-Asia, Tiurkish airlines used to be very good (connectivity with many cities + luggage not delayed) but lately have become lackluster (long delays at night in Istanbul airport, to the point that night flights become day flights which really mess up with your system after you land), can someone recommand a decent alrernative? Anyone happy with other airlines deserving these routes?   

(edited)

Yup. My goal is to be as comfortable as possible in what is inevitably a claustrophobic and frigid space, and in those conditions, I'm comfortable in beat-up old jeans and a baggy sweater, preferably with a hood to keep my head from touching the filthy seat.

Edited by TattleTeeny

OH MY GOODNESS!  I was having coffee, minding my own business this morning and overheard a job interview at the table next to mine.  The job sounded like it was for a law firm and the guy being interviewed was a recent law school grad.  What was he wearing?  A loose polo shirt and JEANS.  I'm not sure I'd dress like that for a CREATIVE position (though it might be fine once I GOT the job).  This was in Toronto's financial district, and I tend not to see anything less (on men, anyway) than khakis.  And dress shirts outnumber polos.  Are 20-somethings REALLY that clueless about appropriate interview clothing?  If they don't have anything dressy, BORROW SOMETHING.  They have friends, don't they?

• Love 4

OH MY GOODNESS!  I was having coffee, minding my own business this morning and overheard a job interview at the table next to mine.  The job sounded like it was for a law firm and the guy being interviewed was a recent law school grad.  What was he wearing?  A loose polo shirt and JEANS.  I'm not sure I'd dress like that for a CREATIVE position (though it might be fine once I GOT the job).  This was in Toronto's financial district, and I tend not to see anything less (on men, anyway) than khakis.  And dress shirts outnumber polos.  Are 20-somethings REALLY that clueless about appropriate interview clothing?  If they don't have anything dressy, BORROW SOMETHING.  They have friends, don't they?

Yes. At least all the ones I've interviewed.

I just flew back from NY today and thought of this thread, lol! Just for the record, I was wearing skinny jeans, black ballet flats and a loose black top that came to mid thigh. I got bumped up to first class, woo hoo!

• Love 5

A long time ago I tried to convince my sister that you do indeed need to dress appropriately for a job interview. She just didn't understand, she said the people interviewing her were casual. She didn't get the job. Huh. Unless they call you and specifically tell you, hey, we're super casual here, then you MUST dress in a suit or tailored outfit, no jewelry, no perfume, nice hair, brushed teeth, no coffee breath.

• Love 1

A long time ago I tried to convince my sister that you do indeed need to dress appropriately for a job interview. She just didn't understand, she said the people interviewing her were casual. She didn't get the job. Huh. Unless they call you and specifically tell you, hey, we're super casual here, then you MUST dress in a suit or tailored outfit, no jewelry, no perfume, nice hair, brushed teeth, no coffee breath.

I have a couple of interns this summer and while by and large they dress appropriately, they have worn shorts, tank tops and very casual flip flops. I work in an business casual large office where no one wears shorts. I think it's a lack of observing the people around them and gauging what's appropriate. I also teach a graduate level course and on the last day of class we talk about job hunting. I mention dressing well for the interview and I always get a few eye-rolls. It seems like they are from the students who show up 15 minutes late and wearing pajama pants.

Edited by MargeGunderson

Going to the beach for a week soon.  Sadly, my bathing top that I have had forever needed to go - it was a tankini style.  That left me with the prospects of either getting a new bathing suit or a new top (if I continue to use my old board shorts that I got with a bikini I bought many many moons ago.

So not pleased with the styles I have found online or in stores.  They are either bare so much skin and designed for the very very young (who don't need support) or hideously ugly.

After too many hours trying things on (what is clearly a snipe hunt), I opted to buy a short sleeve rash guard and use the trusty old board shorts.  True, rash guards cover, but don't hide the less than flat stomach I am now the owner of, but it was better than the other bathing suit/top options.  I'll just wear a sports bra or something under it.

Had a text consult with my neice while shopping - she is a semi-pro surfer.  Her advice - buy a rash guard that is more fitted because in the water it will drag less and don't buy white.  In white, you are likely to burn anyways.

• Love 1
DeLurker it sounds like you have it handled but I'll throw my tip out there. I've had good luck with Lands' End suits. They aren't cheap but hold up for many years. I wear tankinis as well (often with an old lady skirt) & have been pleased with the quality & coverage. I also like that they have some options for larger busts.

I bought two Lands End suits for my vacation last year, I got a pretty good sale, they have sales often so keep checking. They fit nicely and are good and sturdy. Pretty colors and patterns available too.

I was hesitant to buy a swimsuit from Lands' End just because of the danger of getting a bad fit by mail order, but it turned out very well. I have a hard time finding swimsuits that fit because my top is a smaller size than my bottom. The Lands' End suit fit very well, though. I like that they have multiple ways to fit (cup size, length and size). It also seems to last, but I don't swim a lot so I'm not really the best judge of that. I love the purple color I got, though, and the tummy-slimming.

I didn't check Land's Ends, so that probably happens when I get back.  I've been hesitant to buy online too for the sizing issue.

After trying on the board shorts and the rash guards, I feel pretty good about the decision.  It isn't cutting edge fashion, but it does provide the coverage that I feel comfortable in at this stage in my life.

I grew up 7 miles from the beach and was there as frequently as possible growing up (through my mid 20s actually).  I was perfectly comfortable in the barely there bikinis (although thongs were not to my taste), could pull them off without problem (thanks to a genetically determined slim frame and decent height) and was probably least self-conscious in a bikini compared to other clothes.  Having to put so much thought into swimwear as I got/get older is probably the biggest wardrobe related adjustment I have had to make.

One more added Lands' End note, I've never had a problem with returns & I've returned a fair amount. I even had to send back a school uniform shirt with a logo & they took it without hesitation.

Sigh I used to love to swim & I love the beach, but taking a trip just hasn't been in the cards for the last several years. I feel fortunate that my kids dad is able to take them on a big trip at least once a year, often with a couple of smaller trips scattered in between so they've had several beach experiences & I wanted them to get to have those, since I thought it was amazing when I went as a kid. I hope you have a fantastic time on your trip DeLurker!

Add me to the Lands End love.  I have cardigans in so many colors from there.   I don't do a lot of swimming, but in the past 25 years, the only swimsuits I've worn have been from Lands End.  I have a two piece with a skirt, and a long top with the slenderize panel that I like.    Here's the thing about returns -  all Items are guaranteed -period.   That's their motto.  If you wear it for a year (or more)  and it doesn't hold up, the color fades, whatever -  you can take it back, and get back what you paid for it.  

When my kids were at that rough-house age, I loved getting them Lands End clothes -  they really held up, zippers rarely broke, elastic held its shape, seams stayed together.  The prices might be a little higher than some places, but clothes that last are worth it.  AND, they have sales all the time.  Even more if you register on their website, you'll get coupons for $ off. 

there used to be a Lands End outlet store near me, so it was convenient to take stuff back there instead of sending it by mail.   The outlet store is gone, but I live close to a mall with a SEARS, and Lands End merchandise can be returned at SEARS now. 

Oh - one more thing -  Lands End has customer service people who answer phones who actually know the merchandise.   They can even help you on the phone as to whether certain items run big or small, let you know exact lengths, etc.   One woman was even able to help me match a print dress with a solid sweater over the phone, when I couldn't figure out from the online pictures, the difference between the various blues. 

Edited by backformore

You never know (especially without knowing what the position was); it's not out of the realm of possibility that he was told that casual was fine, or that the interview wasn't a spur-of-the-moment, come-as-you-are kind of thing. 

You never know (especially without knowing what the position was); it's not out of the realm of possibility that he was told that casual was fine, or that the interview wasn't a spur-of-the-moment, come-as-you-are kind of thing. 

I'd still wear something more "professional" looking.  I might not show up in a suit, but definitely not denim, either.  Especially for legal positions.  However, I'm probably close to 10 years older than that guy.

Well, I'm thinking, say, dude's at his current job or whatever and gets a call saying, "Blah-blah, I'll be at This Local Cafe near your office at one; want to meet up for a quick interview?" Maybe he was an I.T. guy; that outfit seems to be their uniform at my office. So much stuff is casual now, or at least laid back.

Edited by TattleTeeny

Well, I'm thinking, say, dude's at his current job or whatever and gets a call saying, "Blah-blah, I'll be at This Local Cafe near your office at one; want to meet up for a quick interview?" Maybe he was an I.T. guy; that outfit seems to be their uniform at my office. So much stuff is casual now, or at least laid back.

Well, the guy better have a SUPERB interview and resume!  Sorry, I'd dock points for his not-so-financial-district appearance/wardrobe.  He's in the maybe a callback pile rather than a more likely a callback pile in my books.  Anyone who has attended law school should know what is considered appropriate for a job interview in that field. 

And that would be up to you, were you his interviewer. But it's all neither here nor there, unless you asked for and subsequently learned the details of his interview attire. There are any number of reasons for it, and one's rules are not everybody's (my former assistant interviewed in his mandated cashier gear from his previous job; I'd have passed on a qualified employee had I judged so harshly). Still other people might balk at an interview being held anywhere but an office; clearly, neither of these parties had an issue with it. 

Unless they call you and specifically tell you, hey, we're super casual here, then you MUST dress in a suit or tailored outfit, no jewelry, no perfume

I've never interviewed in a suit or without jewelry in my life. I've just always had jewelry that I rarely removed. And, while I've owned a suit or two (far from corporate looking; I like micro-miniskirts), I didn't use them for interviews--dresses, sometimes with a cardigan, tights or not, depending on weather/temperature (but never nude pantyhose because ugh). It's always worked out for the most part. I don't think the "rules" of many areas of corporate life are as bland and stuffy as they once were (which works out for me and my purple and/or blue hair, visible tattoos, and short dresses).

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 2

It really depends on the industry and the area you live in. In any case, however it looks there's no way to tell if the young fellow is just naive or is following instructions.

I'm in HR and for my company (manufacturing) we'd expect someone with a professional degree to interview in a suit. However, we're business casual in dress code and in a rural area where someone who knows the company might know that and dress accordingly. So if they were otherwise a great candidate, we'd probably dismiss the oversight, ensure the employee knew the dress code during orientation and then watch to see if he/she can comply.

• Love 1