Type keyword(s) to search

Beauty & Style Dislikes: What are YOURS?

PRgal
  • Start Topic

There's a new trend of dressing up athletic wear. Like heels with jogging pants, fancy sweats with pearls, blazers with jogging shorts.

No. No.

OMG, this reminds me of the eighties.  My mother used to wear designer track suits with high heeled pumps and tons of gold and diamond jewelry.  Ugh.

• Love 2

Winged eyeliner is only really complimentary to certain eye shapes. I know it just doesn't look right on me so I don't bother. I don't necessarily have small eyes but they are slightly almond shape and I don't have a large amount of eyelid space so I have to be careful with eyeliner application because it might make my eyes look smaller.

My contribution to this thread is that I don't like the ubiquitous Valentino rockstud pumps and flats that I am seeing everywhere.  I am suspecting that there are some knockoffs out there too. I just find them to be over embellished and too busy.

BGS0AUK_mk.jpg

• Love 3

Dislike: Orange oompa loompa tans. I usually see these oompa loompas in pairs or groups. Did one get a tan and then the others loved it and went to the same tanning place? Really? They saw their orange friend and actually sought out the same tanning place?

Like: Beachy waves on super long hair. I can do the waves, but my hair is far too thick to wear it that long. I wish I could!

• Love 3

Dislike: Orange oompa loompa tans. I usually see these oompa loompas in pairs or groups. Did one get a tan and then the others loved it and went to the same tanning place? Really? They saw their orange friend and actually sought out the same tanning place?

Like: Beachy waves on super long hair. I can do the waves, but my hair is far too thick to wear it that long. I wish I could!

What's worse are oompa-loompa tans and over-bleached blonde hair.  And often, they are on women who are mature enough to "know better."  In other words, we aren't talking about 18-22 year olds. 

• Love 2

Layer, layer, layer! I've recently found a hairdresser that understands my hair, and now I can wear it long without having to braid it of put it up. Worth exploring. Thick hair is fantastic news! (Mine is more "puffy", very thin but lots of it, and I live in a high humidity place, so it gets huuuuge. If I can do it I'm sure you can too with even better results!)

• Love 1

I had super thick hair (although it is thinning a bit as I get older) and I've always worn it long - sometimes as far down as my waist.  I would have my hairstylist thin my hair once or twice a year to keep things more manageable.  You need a stylist who knows what she is doing and who doesn't get carried away.

• Love 2

Thanks y'all regarding long, thick hair. I do, in fact, have it very layered and at one time several years ago had it thinned out and waist length. It was still a huge chore to care for! It sure was pretty though. My hair is the type that gets wavier the longer it gets. These days I'm too hot all the time to have a big hank of hair covering up my back.

Besides liking long hair, I also wore it longer to weigh it down to get rid of waves.  I tried a bob once and was totally shocked that what I thought would be wave was actual curl - getting my hair to look decent too a lot more work than having long hair.  The day my hair grew long enough to wear it in a ponytail was a day of much rejoicing.

When I have tried getting it layered, it just made it worse. 

• Love 1

What I don't like much:

On clothing, I don't like ruffles, neon colours, denim skirts worn over leggings and paired with sneakers. 

For makeup, accessories, etc, I don't like nail art that much (and the other "nail trends" as well), anklets, SHUTTER SHADES (my goodness), and using black marker to "stylize" converse sneakers. 

What I like a lot: 

Bodycon dresses, clothes with beautiful and sophisticated prints (not paisley ones, sorry), athleisure (so yes, I do love yoga pants), maxi dresses (even though I'm short), and turtlenecks. 

Also, the classic french tip nails, aviator sunglasses, and the new era of Adidas sneakers. :)

• Love 3

What's the deal with weirdly coloured/unconventional lipstick (we are talking about blues and greens.  That's not a "real" lip colour, so PUH-LEEZE)?  You'd think it's a MAC thing, but nope, everyone is getting into it. When I saw my first tube of black lipstick, I thought it was mood lipstick.  Nope, no siree.  It's BLACK.  I'm not going to a Halloween party (speaking of parties, I saw a girl at the mall with orange and green ombre hair.  Oxymoron??)!

I'm beginning to get used to manpris (capris for men), but it's only okay if they're slightly cropped and it's worn as part of a more hipster look.  Any shorter (but longer than Bermudas) is WEIRD and sloppy.  And I don't mean to body shame, but manpri wearers should be on the slimmer side. 

• Love 2
On 2/18/2017 at 1:12 AM, Petunia13 said:

Finally opened my Anastasia Dip Brow.  Not a fan. 

You know who I wish wasn't also a fan of Dip Brow? Every single Sephora worker I see who thinks the world views them through the prism of an Instagram lens. Dear god! A little goes a long way, people! They look like Bozo the Clowns under the belief that their Dip Brow pods are single-use only. 

That said, I also am not a fan -- even the lightest shade is too dark for me. I am, however, a big fan of the Benefit Gimme Brow Volumizing Fiber Gel. Their light shade perfectly matches and it's foolproof to apply. 

Brands that do not maintain consistent shade naming/numbering across ranges in foundation. I am looking firmly at you NYX. Vanilla in one range is a light shade w/ yellow undertones and in another range is light-medium w/ peach undertones and don't get me started on the beige shade range. I don't expect uniformity of colour between ranges because of differences in formula, I do expect to be able to pick up a foundation and know roughly what depth of colour and undertone I am getting. NYX is far from the only offender and it is not just drug store brands but they came to mind because I just brought a one of their serum foundations and finding a shade was a nightmare.

• Love 1

Georgio Armani does the same thing. The shade in luminous silk is not the same in their other foundations. A lot of brands say they're neutral in their shade title and are warm. I forget what brand it might be makeup forever but I was matched a shade that had the word warm in it but I'm very cool undertones. 

• Love 2

This is a really big dislike of mine, products that don't have the instructions on the container. Those little pamphlets they include in the box are very nice, but if you don't keep them or the box, & you don't use the product daily, then you end up with a mystery product you can't remember how to use.

• Love 7
(edited)

Agree with tops/dresses that require buying/wearing a top underneath-annoying.

Also ditto preferring makeup that has instructions on the packaging, but the little pamphlets are better than nothing. 

Skinny jeans-they're flattering on women who are, well, skinny, with thin thighs. I don't find them sexy on most women, and don't like the look on men at all. I wish people would chill on this trend. We don't ALL have to wear skinny jeans!

Most closed-toed shoes out there-either they're ugly or uncomfortable. Why they can't make cuter shoes that aren't either tight, pointy-toed, or high heeled? I want comfortable shoes for the office that are still stylish.

Heels in general. I have a love-hate relationship with them. They are so sexy and feminine, but I don't think women should feel like they have to wear painful, damaging footwear just because they're dressed up. 

Also prefer more office appropriate clothes that are fun. I see funner patterns on the more revealing clothes. Why can't they make more dresses that aren't sleeveless, low-cut, or too short that are still gorgeous and feminine?

Lack of vegan shoes and bags-I want more!

Any beauty company that's not vegan and/or does animal testing. 

Fake tan. Yes, tans can be sexy, but it's like the skinny jeans trend. We don't ALL need them. I see so many women who have perfectly gorgeous fair skin. Why not rock your naturally beautiful skin? While the fake tans are better than frying your skin in the sun, I still don't know how safe those fake tans really are. 

Lip injections-a lot of women are perfectly beautiful without pouty lips. 

That over plucked 90's brow look-such a shame to see a beautiful woman with awful brows. Someone like Pamela Anderson would look so much prettier with more brow. 

Butt implants/abnormally large butt trend-yes, a soft, round bottom is sexy and feminine. I still don't get the appeal of a ginormous, plastic tuchus. Neither does any man I know. To each his own I suppose. 

While I love makeup, I don't like that women feel forced to wear it. Same thing for shaving every hair off your body, having to flat iron curls out, etc. I get laser hair removal and prefer to wear my hair straight. If you feel confident and comfortable the way you are naturally, you shouldn't be shamed for that imho. I think it's ridiculous a woman can't go out barefaced and has to flat iron her hair for a job interview. As long as you are clean and modestly dressed, you should be good to go imo. 

Also nothing against eyelash extensions, tinting, micro-blading, permanent makeup, or plastic surgery. I'm all for doing what makes you feel better. But it's annoying when those models who are clearly enhanced post those "no makeup selfies," pretending to be so naturally beautiful and self confident when they've clearly had help and continue setting unrealistic beauty standards for all the women out there.

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Love 3

@RealHousewife: I agree with you re: shoes.  Almost everything I see are either ugly or made for people my mom's age (I'm almost 40 (though I feel more like 30) and I don't need shoes worn by people who can get discounts).  However, re: skinny jeans - they're godsend for those of us in cold, snowy climates.  NO DIRTY PANTS!!

• Love 1
On 5/20/2019 at 6:46 PM, RealHousewife said:

Most closed-toed shoes out there-either they're ugly or uncomfortable. Why they can't make cuter shoes that aren't either tight, pointy-toed, or high heeled? I want comfortable shoes for the office that are still stylish.

Heels in general. I have a love-hate relationship with them. They are so sexy and feminine, but I don't think women should feel like they have to wear painful, damaging footwear just because they're dressed up. 

I actually love wearing high heels, but since being diagnosed with MS it is better if I don't. They give me major charlie horses if I try to wear them. UGH. Now I live in ballet flats at work. I find them super comfy and nice looking. I hate sandals, especially at the office, since they crank the AC and even in closed toed shoes I'm freezing! So it is ballet flats aka skimmers for me. But i have to get suede foot beds. I don't get the idea of a leather foot bed in a shoe you are going to not wear socks/hose with. They are sticky and uncomfortable to me.