Type keyword(s) to search

My Five Wives - General Discussion

• Start Topic

A lot of churches have short term "mission trips."  Anything from a weekend to a few weeks.  It's possible that she hooked up with one of those.

Edited by camom
  • Love 1

I was getting some serious creep vibes from Brady while he was washing the dishes and telling his wives that he could do what he wanted and he didn't need their opinions. He's a patronizing a-hole, and it was most noticeable in those few minutes.

I was a little surprised with Rhonda's reply to Nonie asking for help with the business. "I'd probably mess it up". Um, you could at least try, you quit your job - potty training only takes up so much time in the day.

Also, did anyone notice Rosie's passive aggressive attempt to tell Nonie about Tallie and the tomato? It seemed like one of those "I have a funny story to tell you, but it's not really funny, and your kid is being a brat" type of stories.

• Love 1
I am curious as why the children are going on missions , since that term relates to Mormon sects and they are no long part of that life. 

They called the Peru trip a "service mission" and I don't think that term is exclusive to Mormons. It's very common for teens to take short "service mission" trips, regardless of religion. Many are organized through high schools and completely unconnected to any church. It's a trend that seems to mainly about giving kids some exposure to the wider world, and something to write about for their college application essays.

On an unrelated note, is there any family member who is employed somewhere other than the family business? That seems to be a precarious "put all your eggs in one basket" situation.

• Love 1

On an unrelated note, is there any family member who is employed somewhere other than the family business? That seems to be a precarious "put all your eggs in one basket" situation.

And for some reason I feel like Brady doesn't bother with pesky little things like life insurance.  

Paulie's a dental hygienist, and until very recently, Rhonda worked long hours in a doctor's office as some type of assistant (not a nurse).  Rosemary used to do the office work, but she went back to school and Nonie took over that role.  When the show started, four out of the six adults had jobs - which is extremely impressive compared to the Browns.  Why Rhonda's continued non-cancer travails required her to quit a good job that she loved ......  I don't get it.

If Nonie is having difficulty with the office work, Rhonda and/or Robyn should step up and help out.

• Love 1
It's very common for teens to take short "service mission" trips, regardless of religion. 

Yes, I did mention that in my post. I just usually hear people say their teen is going on a service project not that they are "doing their mission" which implies to me that it is a required thing. Since Brady now says they are not a part of any church, I would assume this is a volunteer thing, but he and the wives act like it is something the teens have to do which is more in keeping with the Mormon missions, rather than seeing the world, volunteering.

Rhonda quit her job because Brady asked her to since they were doing "so well". I wonder if he thinks her long work hours were causing her to be so concerned about her health. She seems very high strung to me, as does her cousin Robin. I do think Nonie seems much more outgoing and out spoken than the others, but I see that as a good thing. I do relate to Rosemary and her struggle with her weight, but being mumbly and depressed isn't going to help you either. 

Back to complain again.  As I said upthread, TLC screwed up programming and I was stuck with the idiot medium.  In attempting to find a re-airing of the new episode, I found every damn show TLC has ever shown - including John and Kate and 17 Kids and Counting, and I'm left with this - are you fucking kidding me?  They couldn't torpedo this show more effectively if they were trying.  You would think after the HBB disaster, they would actually try promoting their other shows.  Whatever.

ETA  Good Lord these people are incompetent morons.  Just tried to watch 90 Day Fiance  on the DVR, and guess what.  That's right - it's My Five Wives.  Let me take a wild guess here.  If I DVR Long Island Medium ......  I'll get to watch 90 Day Fiance.

Edited by RedheadZombie
  • Love 1

Family film festival? Really? TLC sure has a formula for their shows. Haven't we seen some sort of incarnation with both the Browns and the Duggars? Sheesh. 

Although, I will say, I'm probably the only one, but I was laughing my ass off at the body pillow skit. It was just so corny and ridiculous, right up my alley. I loved that Robyn was able to poke fun at her gift idea, and that they ALL could poke fun at their relationship and the jealousy issues that come with it. Brady being cast aside for a Brady pillow? Just hilarious! Hey, he's around so little as it is, they might very well start preferring the pillow to him. 

Plus, I just think Robyn is very talented and I love seeing her when she's being creative. That's when she really shines. She should start making things and selling them on Etsy or something. It might be a real confidence booster. 

Although Brady really annoyed me with how dismissive, and almost rude, he was when discussing his brother's business venture with his wives - I was still on his side about it. Don't they have a bankruptcy hanging over their heads? All sorts of financial issues? Seems to me getting some more money coming in would be a good thing. Brady's stretched too thin as it is? Tough. If you wanted a husband you could spend tons of time with, you probably should have married a monogamous one, and not had 4-5 kids each. Someone's gotta feed all those mouths!

So we got our first glimpse of pregnant Nonie, and maybe an idea of why Brady didn't seem to relish the idea of her getting knocked up again. Look, I don't want to be mean. I had REALLY bad morning sickness with all three of my kids. I rarely threw up, I was just constantly nauseous, 24-hours a day. The only thing that helped was eating, but everything repulsed me. So I'm constantly shoving food into my mouth that makes me want to gag, so I don't actually gag.....ugh, it's the worst. And all my kids were planned, so I don't think you can't complain just because you're in a situation YOU wanted. But.....I also did not lay around on the bed, crying and just begging for people to come in and pay attention to me. If it were anyone other than Nonie, I'd give them a pass. But given what we've seen and heard so far, I can imagine her constantly throwing a pity party and playing victim the entire time. She already needs extra help in the office? I'm sorry, but is running the books for her husband's company REALLY that hard? I worked on my feet 8 hours a day in a super busy pharmacy when I was pregnant with my first. I would have killed for a nice job in my own home where I could put my head down if I needed to. Man up, Nonie! 

I did get a giant chuckle out of their little girl wanting to name the baby Satan!

So if Brady hates country music so much, how did line dancing end up in the pot? Oh, that's right - TLC. 

• Love 1
Rhonda is starting to bug me too; she seems to have her nose in everything

She bugs me as well. It's like she tries very hard to come across as the fun, easy going wife - but underneath I think she's very stealth. Also, her weird, floppy side bangs drive me nuts!

Also, did anyone notice Rosie's passive aggressive attempt to tell Nonie about Tallie and the tomato? It seemed like one of those "I have a funny story to tell you, but it's not really funny, and your kid is being a brat" type of stories.

I actually really loved how she did that. And normally I hate passive aggressive tactics. But seeing how Nonie went ballistic a few times last season, when confronted with issues, I wonder if they haven't realized that's the best way to deal with her. "Here, have some ginger to settle your stomach. Oh, and your naughty little kid snuck into our house and left the door open, letting dozens of flies in. Hahaha, isn't she a character?" Point. Made. 

• Love 5

I also did not lay around on the bed, crying and just begging for people to come in and pay attention to me. If it were anyone other than Nonie, I'd give them a pass. But given what we've seen and heard so far, I can imagine her constantly throwing a pity party and playing victim the entire time. She already needs extra help in the office? I'm sorry, but is running the books for her husband's company REALLY that hard? I worked on my feet 8 hours a day in a super busy pharmacy when I was pregnant with my first. I would have killed for a nice job in my own home where I could put my head down if I needed to. Man up, Nonie!

Ghoulina,  we must have worked for the same pharmacy! lol  Nonie can take a seat with her non-stop bitching.  I find it hard to believe, because every time there is an activity that she wants to participate in, she does so happily.  If it's not up her alley, she cries "morning sickness"  Please, girl.  You wanted this, and a few other wives wanted additional children as well.  Don't forget that YOU are the only one getting/having another.  It seems like such a rub in their faces and it really upsets me.  She clearly isn't taking anyone else's feelings into consideration. 

• Love 2

I had HG with all my pregnancies and didn't lie on the bed crying.  So there Nonie.  I did, however, have to take medication for the eight months it lasted each time.

If things don't change, ratings improve or TLC's floor for renewal drops, I predict this season is the last.  Once again, they did not make the top 100 cable shows for the day.  They could try to blame Christmas specials perhaps.

Edited by Absolom
  • Love 1

I wasn't sure where to post this since there is no Polygamy USA thread. I assumed most people who have seen my 5 wives and sister wives have watched polygamy USA? I happen to see the Cawley family out shopping last week. I did not see Rose Marie with them and wondered if she had gotten married. I checked her face book and she last name is now Knudson. One of her dad's wives maiden name was Knudson and the Knudson family has a

few of the nicer homes in CP. I curious who she married? I so wish they had another season of Polygamy USA.

I loved Polygamy USA.  Now that was a look at a very different polygamous culture, a closed society, more or less.  So Rosemarie finally got a name?  I wonder if she came up with it herself or "the brethren" gave it to her, and what number wife she is.  To be honest, I would've married anyone just to get away from Michael Cawley's creepy voice.

I also wonder about Kelly and that handsome young man she married (whose name I can't recall).

Edited by technorebel
  • Love 1

Although Brady really annoyed me with how dismissive, and almost rude, he was when discussing his brother's business venture with his wives - I was still on his side about it. Don't they have a bankruptcy hanging over their heads? All sorts of financial issues? Seems to me getting some more money coming in would be a good thing. 

So if Brady hates country music so much, how did line dancing end up in the pot? Oh, that's right - TLC. 

My problem with the whole "helping his brother" deal was that Brady never explained why it would be so great to his wives (unless I missed that?). It was just "I want to do it and I'm doing it - and Nonie is, too. Oh, and also, if I want to go out of town on business, I will."

I thought it was weird that the wives put something they knew Brady would hate in the date jar, but I guess this was their chance to pick something that THEY wanted to do, rather than Brady (and something TLC could film).

I actually really loved how she did that. And normally I hate passive aggressive tactics. But seeing how Nonie went ballistic a few times last season, when confronted with issues, I wonder if they haven't realized that's the best way to deal with her. "Here, have some ginger to settle your stomach. Oh, and your naughty little kid snuck into our house and left the door open, letting dozens of flies in. Hahaha, isn't she a character?" Point. Made. 

That is a good point, I didn't take into consideration the fact that she lost her mind over a bill las season (although I am still slightly convinced that Paulie was poking sensitive spots on purpose)!

The only good part of the episode (for me) was the wives movie.  When they came into Robin's bedroom and found her in bed with all of their Brady pillows, I cracked up.  At least they've got a sense of humor, though it didn't look like any of the kids got it.

• Love 3
My problem with the whole "helping his brother" deal was that Brady never explained why it would be so great to his wives (unless I missed that?). It was just "I want to do it and I'm doing it - and Nonie is, too. Oh, and also, if I want to go out of town on business, I will."

Yea, I do agree that he was being rather dickish about it. I don't see why he didn't explain that his brother had helped him out a lot over the years and now was his chance to give back, and it really wouldn't take much extra time. But, then again, maybe I would be dickish too if I was doing the dishes and four (was Paulie not there?) women cornered me and started nagging me. But, then again, if I signed up for that many wives I shouldn't be upset if they gang up on me.

Sigh....this show makes my head hurt. 

• Love 1

I am not surprise that the ratings for the show is in the toilet.  I believe that in Season One we saw glimpses of their real personalities.  However, I have a feeling they didn’t like what they saw, and decided to pull back.  So now on Season Two, we have contrived situations and re-enactments.  This is Nonie’s sixth child and Carlie’s first, and yet, Carlie is the one giving Nonie advice on how to deal with morning sickness.  Alrighty then!

• Love 3

If there was any question as to which wife is Brady's favorite, then I believe that was answered tonight.  He just seems more relax and at peace when he is with Rhonda.  He seems to dread his time with Robyn.  I believe she stresses him out. 

• Love 1

I was right that the two year mission was connected to the Mormon church and not a typical teenage service project. I felt really sorry for Paulie; I would be beyond devastated if my son left me for two years.

I understand the idea that they have to do majority rule with everything, but it would be hard to be in a marriage where you had no say in something important. Spending so little time with your husband is roughly equivalent to being a single mom with an occasional boyfriend who visits. That has to be difficult.

The Vegas trip seemed kind of forced. Brady and Rhonda were giggling a lot, but I don't know if they were having a lot of fun. The hotel looked "interesting". Robin continues to seem kind of depressed and very needy, I wish she could have some kind of therapy to determine what is really going on. 

I wonder if the wives getting together for drinks and the girls night is producer planned. It just doesn't seem like something this brood would do. In some ways they seem close, but they also seem nervous around each other. I'm not sure you can really be close to someone who is sleeping with your husband.

They make little jokes about their sex lives, but you can see they struggle with wanting more attention than they are getting.  On another note: Sister Wives is coming back. Yeah! Crazy Kody has more energy and personality than Brady (in my opinion), and the wives don't have that annoying giggle.

• Love 2

I admit that Paulie would drive me nuts if I had to spend much time with her (her little baby voice alone would drive me crazy), but I do feel sorry for her now.  I assume that her premature grandchild was born not too long after her son left for two years.  That's a lot of emotional stuff at once.

• Love 3

Thank goodness the anniversary trip to Vegas didn't include a stop to see their "good friends, the Browns." I am surprised KoDouche let the Williams into his city without demanding a tribute of camera time. And, what's the over/under on number of episodes before Robyn whines to Brady that she didn't get a trip on her anniversary? 

• Love 2

I've never been to Vegas, but that hotel looked very podunk to me, and probably far off the strip. The pool looked no better than a Comfort Inn type of place.

Brady mentioned how the timing was bad because he wouldn't be there for Pauly, as golden boy gets ready to leave. But, not one mention of Brady wanting to maybe hang out some with his oldest son before he leaves for 2 yrs. Brady really is a pathetic excuse for a "dad".

It was interesting when Rosemary basically admitted that she got wrangled into this polygamy bullshit for some kind of salvation in the afterlife. It seemed to me that after having lived it, she regrets it and sees the BS for what it is.

• Love 4

I was surprised that it was sad, meek little Robyn who said she was ready to bolt the religion when Brady first brought up leaving. She seems like the one who is still only one step out of the prairie dress. I was also surprised when Rosemary said the wives had never really discussed, as a group, leaving the religion, and their booze-night discussion was the first since they had left. Kinda makes me think their leaving wasn't really a "decision" but a "booting", as has been alluded to in various media reports. It was also interesting that Rosemary was talking about the strangeness of their situation, like maybe she is having some second thoughts about being low man on the Brady Totem Pole.

When Rhonda grabbed onto the pole in the limo, I screamed at the the TV, "Don't touch that thing Rhondaaaaaa!" Scared the shit out of my cat.

I was just in Vegas. Rode on the High Roller. Brady should have taken her there, that was pretty cool and not very expensive.

They tweeted that they quit the two- night rotation because they all hated it. Duh.

Edited by Galloway Cave

Did they even show which hotel that was?? 

a 2-night rotation seems a lot more sensible than 1-night. I get Robyn's thinking on it.   Nonie hates everything so it doesn't surprise me that she didn't want to do it.  

I could see why Robyn wanted to try the two night rotation.  I guess there would be advantages and disadvantages to either way.  At least they tried it, even if they decided it wouldn't work.

Unfortunately, whether it is one night or two nights, I don't see how Robyn or anyone else will really get the connection to Brady they want. The four days or eight days apart can't do anything other than undo any real connection made.

It is clear that Rhonda is the favorite. She is the Cool Wife (to borrow a phrase from Gone Girl) and probably a respite from all the drama. To be fair, she is also the wife who seems to be the nicest to all the other wives, so I can't hate her. She and Rosemary are probably my faves.

Speaking of, I felt bad for Rosemary being stuck with Paulie with all the obvious tension they have shared and Robyn, who seems like somewhat of a Debbie Downer. It seemed like there was a bit of awkwardness.

• Love 1

This is how the hotel described the room they stayed in...

Swinger Mega Suite

Players, dominatrixes, and seducers: escape to the
Rumor Swinger Mega-Suite where day becomes night and anything goes.

Seductive Black Color Scheme
    Zig-Zag Mirrors Throughout
    1st Floor Extra-Large Private Oasis Patio with Lounge Chairs
    Custom California King Bed

http://www.rumorvegas.com/suites/mega.php

I somehow do not think they got this room by accident!

• Love 3

I've been feeling like Brady reminded me of someone for the longest time, but haven't been able to place it. After starting season 3 of The Killing I realized - he is like a brokedown Peter Saarsgard. 

I am not sure what to think about the switch to two nights with Brady. I get what Robyn is saying. It probably takes awhile to switch from single-mom mode to wife mode. Maybe two nights in a row would feel more comfortable. But, damn, how sad is it that after 20 years (give or take) you're still not that comfortable with your husband? I do applaud Robyn for having the nerve to bring it up to everyone, though, as she generally seems the meekest out of the bunch. 

Like Rosemary, it doesn't really hurt to try, right? Nonie only went along with it because every other wife was okay trying it, but it was obvious that stick-in-the-mud did NOT like the idea. She can lose me with her complaining that being 4th wife meant she automatically didn't have as much time to get to know Brady - then don't BE fourth wife. Don't enter into this family! Maybe get to know the dude BEFORE you marry him? 

At any rate, I get that going 4 nights without him is easier than 8 nights, but it's not like they won't see him at all. Don't they have dinner together every night, as a family? And he makes the rounds in the morning to say his goodbyes. It's not like he's going across town. 

• Love 4

I've been feeling like Brady reminded me of someone for the longest time, but haven't been able to place it. After starting season 3 of The Killing I realized - he is like a brokedown Peter Saarsgard. 

I am not sure what to think about the switch to two nights with Brady. I get what Robyn is saying. It probably takes awhile to switch from single-mom mode to wife mode. Maybe two nights in a row would feel more comfortable. But, damn, how sad is it that after 20 years (give or take) you're still not that comfortable with your husband? I do applaud Robyn for having the nerve to bring it up to everyone, though, as she generally seems the meekest out of the bunch. 

Like Rosemary, it doesn't really hurt to try, right? Nonie only went along with it because every other wife was okay trying it, but it was obvious that stick-in-the-mud did NOT like the idea. She can lose me with her complaining that being 4th wife meant she automatically didn't have as much time to get to know Brady - then don't BE fourth wife. Don't enter into this family! Maybe get to know the dude BEFORE you marry him? 

At any rate, I get that going 4 nights without him is easier than 8 nights, but it's not like they won't see him at all. Don't they have dinner together every night, as a family? And he makes the rounds in the morning to say his goodbyes. It's not like he's going across town. 

He does look like Sarsgaard!  Now that you've pointed it out, I'm not going to be able to un-see it.

I knew that two-night rotation wouldn't last.  They barely get a piece of him now and complain about it all the time. There's no way they can go eight days without some Brady love.  If I were in this situation, I wonder if I might not prefer one whole week of Brady, and then four weeks off.  Why am I even thinking about that!

• Love 1
He does look like Sarsgaard!  Now that you've pointed it out, I'm not going to be able to un-see it.

Right??? Even the voice!!!

If I were in this situation, I wonder if I might not prefer one whole week of Brady, and then four weeks off.  Why am I even thinking about that!

That's actually not a bad idea. Like I said, it's not like they'd NEVER see him. They have family dinners together every night, supposedly. And maybe once a week they could do a group date. But yea, I rather like that idea. An entire week would probably give you a lot better quality time. Then again, you might get really used to it and it would be harder to let go for an entire month. Who knows? The whole thing seems so unnatural to me, it wouldn't really matter how you do it. It's going to be hard no matter what. 

• Love 2

Those poor women.  They seem so sad, lonely, frustrated and depressed.  Laughing/giggling to cover the pain.  Even though Paulie can be a little stealth sometimes and None whiney and bitchy, I still think overall they are much sweeter and gentle by nature than the Brown women.  I like the way they interact as a family unit and not as a man and his four girlfriends who live separately.  They don't share kitchens, but they do eat together once a week and the kids seem very loving towards each other.  They might be less lonely if they had jobs.  I don't care how many babies Nonie has, she is not going to feel fulfilled when what she is really lacking is the fulfillment that comes from a deeply intimate relationship with a spouse.

• Love 2

Now that they've left or been kicked out of their church, their apparent sole reason for doing polygamy was eternal salvation so what's left?  I'd be depressed, too, if I began believing that what I'd been told all my life was so much hooey and yet I was stuck with the results.  I can give them a little sympathy with that. 

This episode finally made the ratings chart with a paltry 851,000 viewers but a .4 rating.  Viewership overall must have been down. 

• Love 3

I do feel for them, being stuck like they are in this huge family and missing out on having their own husbands.  But they do seem to try to do their best with the situation.  I like these women more than the Brown's, especially Rosemary, Paulie, and Robyn.  They seem quite genuine.  I don't see the attraction of Brady Williams--he is almost as creepy as Kody Brown.  I wonder what will become of them when the kids are grown.

• Love 3

Brady does look like a low rent Peter Sarsgaard, only without the charm. I continue to like Nonie and she seems the most real to me along with Rosemary. Robin and Paulie seem very fragile, and Rhonda does the little girl giggling all the time which seem to be covering something up.

I didn't have a problem with Nonie not liking the idea of the 2 night rotation but trying it anyhow. These women can't be clones of each other and you feel what you feel. It was likely that the other women weren't that keen on it either which is why they scrapped it. I'm not sure why these woman are so hot for Brady though. He is ok looking, but seems really low energy. I'm thinking he does just the right amount of paying and then withholding attention to get the reaction he wants.

What is curious, is that the Brown women don't seem quite so desperate to have their time with Kody, although they live in different houses and probably don't see him every night even for a kiss. I almost feel like these women are brainwashed into living and dying for this man's attention which is kind of gross overall.

Edited by Madding crowd
  • Love 1

What is curious, is that the Brown women don't seem quite so desperate to have their time with Kody, although they live in different houses and probably don't see him every night even for a kiss. I almost feel like these women are brainwashed into living and dying for this man's attention which is kind of gross overall.

I agree, we've had far less whining and general angst from the Brown women over their private time with Kody.  They seem to go about their lives when he's not there as if they're single moms (which they are).  Both families are/were members of the same offshoot, AUB, so I wonder if the different communities within that group are all that similar.  Kody Brown's family somehow seems more modern than the Williams Family. 

At any rate, if I had to choose, I'd go Brown.

• Love 3

If I had to guess, I think things changed for the Browns when they moved to Vegas.  Before that they were living in one house (until Robyn showed up) and saw Kody often.  When they moved, they were in separate houses and found out that they like it that way.  It will be interesting to see if anything changes when the Williams family moves to WA state (which you know they will).  If they can build their own place, it might be similar to what they have now.  But they might have to have separate homes, which will change their outlook on the relationship with Brady.

Well, I wouldn't be so sure that some of the Brown women don't bitch and whine about it. Shit, Meri will bitch and whine about anything. But I think the issue is, the Williams family has chosen (or TLC has) to make their schedule, rotation, etc. a focal point of the show. And the Browns have never done that. We hear little and less about WHAT exactly their schedule is, if any. (I'm of the opinion that Kodouche rotates between Meri and Robyn, based upon his need for peace and sex, in that order. Christine and Jenelle get the leftovers.) I'm sure if there was more of a focus on it, we might hear more bitterness and unhappiness. We did have that one moment over the gym mats, when Christine expressed wanting Kody around more. And I'm pretty sure we've heard similar from the kids. But they generally steer clear of that topic, which leads me to believe it might be a touchy one. 

• Love 4

Wait, did I read upthread that Paulie was a dental hygienist? Funny, all the hygienist's at the dental practice that I go to, know how to take a BP. They do it first thing, before they even look in your mouth and start digging around. I'm not saying that Brady's stress attack was for the cameras, but I found it strange that she had to go to Rhonda to get that done. 

And...wow. Five wives, 25 kids, and no wills? No knowledge of life insurance arrangements? Or custody arrangements in case something happens to any one of the wives or Brady? Forget that Brady could drop dead of a stress induced heart attack thanks to his lifestyle, but he's in construction. Accidents can happen on a job site. You'd think that they'd all know where the important paperwork is, and who needs to step in if one mom is incapacitated. Especially after the "cancer scare." 

• Love 3

So, does Brady owe Paulie another night since he had the nerve to have a panic attack on her night? Also, surprised we didn't see Robyn cry and say that Brady never had a panic attack on her night. Finally, since this episode was mostly about Nonie and the fact that she is pregnant and that means she and Brady HAVE SEX, she was maniacally happy throughout. As opposed to being so sick she couldn't take her head off the desk in an episode that wasn't all about her.

• Love 6