Type keyword(s) to search

My Five Wives - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Oh my goodness.  I wonder if the priesthood council of that church will do anything about that accusation.  Also, whether or not they will try to evict the Williams' from their houses in retaliation.  I could be wrong, but I thought the AUB owned the land the houses sit on, but perhaps I'm mistaking it with an FLDS practice.

Here's more from the bradyandwives.com blog.  Rosemary details the abuse by her father and writes that he was a deadbeat dad who didn't take care of his wives and was a child beater as well.  She says another girl was sexually abused by him and later told Rosemary about it.  Rosemary said her father claims not to remember doing it.  Her mother wants her to be quiet and not bring any more shame on the family.

Edited by technorebel
  • Love 1

Submerging your kids in lake water, while it is cold enough for everyone on the shore to be huddled in sweatshirts, looks like child abuse to me. & am I the only one pissed about Nonie being pregnant? They have no business adding another kid to their mess.

• Love 3

I would love to know the full story about the tension between Paulie and Rosemary.  It was obviously much more than we were shown.  Brady's parents seem to want to give him some guidance, but he is oblivious that he may not be doing the right things. 

I certainly hope that cute little 5 year old is in speech therapy.  If not, they are being neglectful.

• Love 1

I really felt sorry for those kids after Brady announced the baby.  Paul and the rest of the kids had this look: "uh oh. Another person I have to fight for for food/attention/etc"  

I'm glad that Paul realizes what a douche his parents are.

• Love 6

I generally don't judge these people for their decision to live this way, BUT I did find it poignant when - following the upsetting news of news of Nonie's pregnancy - Paul, the teenager who has spent his whole life in polygamy said, "I can't imagine having more than one wife and having so many kids."  He seems to feel pretty strongly that his mom has been brainwashed.  I'm curious about how often the kids socialize with people outside of the polygamy lifestyle and how Paul - someone who has spent his whole life in polygamy and arguably knows that lifestyle much more than he knows any alternative - has come to such a conclusion.  I don't want to count it as proof that polygamy is unnatural, or however I might phrase what I mean by that (human instinct is against it?), but I do find it quite interesting.  I think Carly said she and her husband won't have a plural marriage, and I think I remember at least one of the Kody Brown's daughters saying she was opposed to it as well, and I'm fascinated by the perspective - maybe even moreso from a male child.  

Edited by missalanny
  • Love 3

Brady kept repeating how the construction business in Utah is on the upswing and he is doing so well now, yet we all know he just had a bankruptcy. It was on TV, the internet and in print. It is really ridiculous that they are not only not addressing the money problems, but are steaming ahead in increasing the size of their family, moving to another state and will have to spend in the mid to high six-digits for land and homes.

And I am sick and tired of Tailey and Rod. Rod especially was a little too excited and took things a little too personally regarding Brady reproducing. Bleh. 

Paul is allowed to feel his feelings, Brady. Let him be. 

• Love 1

Brady kept repeating how the construction business in Utah is on the upswing and he is doing so well now, yet we all know he just had a bankruptcy. It was on TV, the internet and in print. It is really ridiculous that they are not only not addressing the money problems, but are steaming ahead in increasing the size of their family, moving to another state and will have to spend in the mid to high six-digits for land and homes.

And I am sick and tired of Tailey and Rod. Rod especially was a little too excited and took things a little too personally regarding Brady reproducing. Bleh.

Paul is allowed to feel his feelings, Brady. Let him be.

All I could think of was the Duggar family and how TLC paid for them to finish their TinkerToy House. I bet Brady is hoping TLC will do the same for them.

• Love 1

I used to post about this show every week the moment it ended, but lately I find myself struggling to stay interested.  It's the same thing every week . . .

Tension between two or more wives.  

Am I pregnant or not?  

Should I try for a baby?  

Can I adopt a baby?  

Why can't I adopt a baby when we already have 20+ children?  

Why doesn't Brady pay me more attention?

Did Brady react to that wife more positively than he does to me?

Why is my son upset that I'm having yet another child when there are already far too many mouths to feed?

It's all just so yawn-inducing.  I don't blame Paul for his lackluster reaction to the baby news.  For these poor kids, the news that a new baby is on the way must feel pretty absurd by this time.  Is there any way we can get Paul and Jinger Duggar together?

As for Rod, color me unimpressed.  He lost me last week when he discussed his testicles in detail on my television amidst his Bigfoot calls.

Edited by SuzyLee
  • Love 4

I felt like there was so much going on behind the scenes in this episode that we didn't see.  Like Brady's mom's discussion with Rosemary.  What a gloss-over.  I just KNOW there was more dirt dished there that we were not privy to on screen.  Same for Brady's dad's discussion with him.  At least his father is somewhat open about his position on his son having so many kids to support.  Otherwise, once again the discussion of Rosemary's tension with Paulie was glossed over.  And again with Nonie's announcement to her kids.  When Nonie told Paul to speak his mind he mumbled something that sounded to me like he didn't want to do it right there, meaning on screen.  So again, more dirt that we didn't get to see.  This show would be more interesting if they let it all hang out like they did last season.  No wonder ratings are down.  These people just aren't interesting enough to watch unless they're all in constant conflict with each other, and even then it's getting to be a stretch.

That said, did anybody notice the continuity error with Brady's leg?  In one scene he's barely able to walk with a crutch.  In the next scene with the baptisms, he obviously has no injury yet.

Edited by Snarklepuss
  • Love 1

I found it shocking and heartbreaking to hear Paul say that his Mom (Nonie) is being scammed by “those people” and that he “begged” her not to have anymore children.  He also vowed that as soon as he finishes High School he would be out of there. I feel sorry for the kids because they didn’t ask for any of this.  It’s clearly worse when the parents decide to go public.

So Brady’s mom was the one who thought Rosemary belongs with Brady; that explains a lot.  I never saw any chemistry between them and he seems to barely tolerate her.  I am willing to bet that someone else thought Robyn belongs with him too.  As to the tension between Rosemary and Paulie - Rosemary explained that she felt Paulie was more into Brady than the lifestyle.  Shades of Meri Brown.

• Love 3

I would love to know the full story about the tension between Paulie and Rosemary.  It was obviously much more than we were shown.  Brady's parents seem to want to give him some guidance, but he is oblivious that he may not be doing the right things. 

Maybe I'm reading too much into the conversation between Stella and Rosemary, but I got the impression that Rosemary is one of her favorites and she's very protective of her.  If true, I can see why.  Paulie is dull as dishwater.  I haven't seen or heard any mention of the tension between Nonie and Paulie.  See, there is Paulie as the common denominator again.  For whatever reason, Nonie is being shown in a more positive light this season.  

Edited by Sammich63
  • Love 1

I try to not hate on the wives too much, because I honestly think that they were kind of suckered into this life and anyone would be jealous, insecure, and needy in their situation. But I do get a weird vibe from Paulie, like some sort of manipulation or something. Between that, her being one of Brady's obvious favorites, and Rosemary not being one of the favorites, and Rosemary being completely different personality wise, it is not shocking to see that there is friction between the two.

I liked Stella and Rosemary's talk, they seem to have a good relationship; in spite of the fact that I think Stella should have not set her up with Brady. And as much as I dislike men's role in polygamy, Brady's dad had some solid advice and seems to be better at handling it.

Given that I see Paulie as a pretentious manipulator and Rosemary as a genuine, honest person, I can totally see how Brady's mom would favor Rosemary because she is also a geniune, unpretentious person.

I too found Paul's comments about his mother being "suckered" by "those people" shocking - I know it's hard for the leopard to change its spots but I totally don't think Nonie is having another child because of any kind of religious brainwashing.  I do wonder at this point if it doesn't have to do with ego and bumping up her position in the family, like was a factor in the Brown family with Robyn, etc.  When you have so many women competing for a man's attention another kid might look like a good way to get more of it, or at least to feel closer to a husband they have so little time with alone.  I'm beginning to see the desire to have children in these women as a substitute for closeness they're not getting from Brady.  Or at least in their minds to have more closeness from him that they were starting to feel like they weren't getting.

• Love 5

Obviously, they're all going to move in with Brady's parents.  They wax sentimental about how much they miss out on being so far away, and -- since the Brady Dad has only one wife left -- obviously there are plenty of empty bedrooms in the polygamansion!  And, this way, the Brady Dad can be on every show.  Was I confused, or do both Rosemary and Nonie have blonde sons around age 15 named Paul?

What bugged me about the baptisms was Brady saying it was no longer a religious ritual to him, but more of a "coming of age" ritual.  But then he did baptist them "in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost."  It was very odd.

since the Brady Dad has only one wife left

I was wondering about that.  Apparently he once had three wives, then last night he talked about one wife (and her kids) leaving.  What happened to the other wife?  And does anyone know how many siblings Brady has?

What bugged me about the baptisms was Brady saying it was no longer a religious ritual to him, but more of a "coming of age" ritual.  But then he did baptist them "in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost."  It was very odd.

I was wondering about that.  Apparently he once had three wives, then last night he talked about one wife (and her kids) leaving.  What happened to the other wife?  And does anyone know how many siblings Brady has?

During Carly's baby shower, there was a woman sitting to Stella's right.  I think that may be the other wife since Rod didn't mention both wives leaving.  She looked older than Stella.  At first I thought she was a relative, but it could have been the other wife.  Brady does have a brother in the business with him in Utah, right?  I don't know of any other siblings.

Was I confused, or do both Rosemary and Nonie have blonde sons around age 15 named Paul?

The name of Rosemary's son is James.

Rod’s second wife seems to be camera shy.  Last season when Brady and Rhonda went to visit, there was a shot of her sitting at the dinner table, but she wasn’t introduced.

Edited by Adeejay

According to The Principle (F-LDS): Rod's 2nd wife left him for another woman - not something he could really "fight against", right? Stella and his 3rd wife, Nora, are still around (Nora was 17 when they were married. Rod was somewhere around 50). From what I can tell Brady has a total of 12 siblings.

I hope Paul can separate and live his own life instead of being guilted by his family to stay close!

Why does it seem like Brady is constantly walking on egg shells when he's talking to his kids like he's a step-dad that was recently introduced to the family?? He gets this fake sweet tone in his voice like he's talking to a 5 year old.... yet he's talking to his teenage kids. 

And he said to Nonie while they were in bed "I'm ready to be a dad again!"  uhhhh dude... you're already a dad to 24 kids. 

I missed the little girl being "baptized" but when the boy was in the water the poor kid was shivering like crazy.  I can't imagine how cold that water was. 

• Love 1

According to The Principle (F-LDS): Rod's 2nd wife left him for another woman - not something he could really "fight against", right? Stella and his 3rd wife, Nora, are still around (Nora was 17 when they were married. Rod was somewhere around 50). From what I can tell Brady has a total of 12 siblings.

Wow!  What an asshole.

Here's the post if anyone's interested:  http://politicsrusprinciple.tumblr.com/post/92653493773/casual-reminder

I hope Paul can separate and live his own life instead of being guilted by his family to stay close!

Like Logan Brown, Paul can reject the polygamist lifestyle, but remain close to his family.  I prefer this kid so much over Paulie's grinning "lady's man".

I'm liking Nonie more and more.  I'm glad she told Paul to speak his mind.  I didn't realize she was younger than the other wives.   I think Nonie is showing more vulnerability, and she seems a little unsure or insecure.  Interesting that none of her kids were happy with the news.

• Love 1

This is a somewhat small thing, but it's funny to me that the descriptions of these shows keep referring to the place they visit and plan to move to as "Seattle". They haven't once been shown in Seattle. They are out on the Olympic Peninsula which is a beautiful place but doesn't have much to do with Seattle. There's no way this group of 30+ is finding a giant, affordable compound to buy in Seattle.

Come to think of it, I don't see how they can afford to move anywhere. I think they're stuck.

• Love 1
(Nora was 17 when they were married. Rod was somewhere around 50).

Um....I'm sorry, but that is gross. I try not to be too judgmental of age differences, but that one really crosses the line, IMO. What on earth do a teenager and a man old enough to be a grandpa have in common? At that point, he probably had kids her same age. I really liked his dad until I read this. Now I'm pretty skeeved out. 

Speaking of....Carley was another one who didn't seem too happy about Nonie's pregnancy. She seemed to be trying to downplay it, but I really think she thought it was unsettling that her sibling would be the same age as her own baby. 

Really, nobody except Nonie, Brady, and creepy Grandpa seemed thrilled about it. What does that say? I realize that no matter how many, or few, kids you have, older siblings may not be happy about an addition to the family, and that you don't base your decision on what your other kids think. To a point. But if the entire family seemed a bit upset about it (minus Rhonda, who probably jumps for joy every time the mail shows up), you might want to re-examine things. 

• Love 7

Really, nobody except Nonie, Brady, and creepy Grandpa seemed thrilled about it.

I don't believe anybody else was happy. When Nonie announced it to her sister wives at lunch (between mouthfuls of food--ugh), they all cried and played it off as tears of joy, and giggled through the pain like they always do. When she told her own kids, not one of them even acted a little excited (I was pleasantly surprised there wasn't a Tailee talking head inserted during that clip). When they made the announcement to the whole family, I got the feeling that Brady's dad's reaction was over-the-top, not just because he IS over-the-top, but so that attention would be directed away from the fact that nobody was exactly thrilled. Nonie had to make the comment, "Well, WE'RE excited about it" when she didn't get the reaction she was hoping for.

I didn't understand the purpose of the baptisms, if they're no longer practicing their faith. Brady may have claimed it was just a rite of passage or whatever, but I sort of think they're still following tenets of their faith, "just in case". Especially after comments Paul made about Nonie being brainwashed. I don't think they've left their faith as much as they want everyone to believe.

• Love 3

Come to think of it, I don't see how they can afford to move anywhere. I think they're stuck.

I don't understand their current living situation.  I know that they live in an AUB community, but Brady said something about being "in the faith" is a requirement to live there.  That makes me believe that they don't actually own anything and could be kicked out at any time.  But then, if that was the case, why haven't they already been kicked out?  I just don't get it.  Was real estate listed as an asset in the recent bankruptcy?  I think they are hoping that TLC will magically provide them with a custom built home.  

I don't understand their current living situation.  I know that they live in an AUB community, but Brady said something about being "in the faith" is a requirement to live there.  That makes me believe that they don't actually own anything and could be kicked out at any time.  But then, if that was the case, why haven't they already been kicked out?  I just don't get it.  Was real estate listed as an asset in the recent bankruptcy?  I think they are hoping that TLC will magically provide them with a custom built home.  

My only theory is that since Rosemary's father is now AUB President, he was letting them stay in their homes until they found somewhere else. However, now that Rosie has gone to the media about sexual abuse as a child (article here) I am guessing their eviction notice will be coming pretty soon.

Really, nobody except Nonie, Brady, and creepy Grandpa seemed thrilled about it. What does that say? I realize that no matter how many, or few, kids you have, older siblings may not be happy about an addition to the family, and that you don't base your decision on what your other kids think. To a point. But if the entire family seemed a bit upset about it (minus Rhonda, who probably jumps for joy every time the mail shows up), you might want to re-examine things.

You are so right. Then there is Brady telling is dad that is all tuned in with his family. So if a sister wife leaves, they say they lost a "companion"? Sounds like the dog ran away. Paul was so unhappy with the announcement, his feelings were very genuine. He was not being s sulky teenager Brady, he is just not drinking the koolaid. I, too want to know more about the family finances. No way they can afford any of those properties. And Brady must have been a blond as a child, I can't tell who belongs to who mom-wise, but there are a lot of blond children.

Edited by jacksgirl
  • Love 1

I am really curious why Paul was so upset. Who brainwashed Nonie? I would love to hear the back story to all this. And really, I am so curious how long she actually was TTC. She was really down about it not happening the first month, welcome to most of the population, Nonie! And also, did she say "we are going to be a family of 5? I like odd numbers?" Huh? Or did I mishear the 5 part?

Edited by CourtneyCourt
  • Love 2

And also, did she say "we are going to be a family of 5? I like odd numbers?" Huh? Or did I mishear the 5 part?

She said 25.

I am really curious why Paul was so upset. Who brainwashed Nonie? I would love to hear the back story to all this.

I think he was talking about the church and the whole "the more kids you have the better wife you are", populating your husband's planet and all.

• Love 2

One of my pet peeves popped up this week.  Everyone said "real-a-tor" instead of "realtor."  Not sure why it bugs me so much, but it does.  It's not that difficult a word to pronounce.

• Love 5

I am really curious why Paul was so upset. Who brainwashed Nonie? I would love to hear the back story to all this. And really, I am so curious how long she actually was TTC. She was really down about it not happening the first month, welcome to most of the population, Nonie! And also, did she say "we are going to be a family of 5? I like odd numbers?" Huh? Or did I mishear the 5 part?

I wonder if part of why Nonie's son was so upset is that he's had a front row seat to his mother's bouts of screaming whenever she gets her feelings hurt by one of the other wives.  She strikes me as being fairly volatile.  He also must be aware of their financial situation and the fact that dear old Dad doesn't really spend much time with the kids he already has.  But, no Brady, that wasn't just typical teenage moodiness.  That boy is truly angry.

• Love 1

I wonder if part of why Nonie's son was so upset is that he's had a front row seat to his mother's bouts of screaming whenever she gets her feelings hurt by one of the other wives. She strikes me as being fairly volatile. He also must be aware of their financial situation and the fact that dear old Dad doesn't really spend much time with the kids he already has. But, no Brady, that wasn't just typical teenage moodiness. That boy is truly angry.

Also, do I recall Brady saying that Nonie's emotions get seriously out of whack during or after pregnancy, like maybe she suffers from PPD? Maybe her kids don't want to deal with that again.

Edited by Lopethina
  • Love 2

I found the "Baptism" very cult-like. Dude has a god complex. Rod too-look at all my DNA! I did this! It's like they equate their virility with being this superior supreme being.

It may just be that she has droopy lids, but Carly always looks high or medicated to me.

Robyn seems so emotionally stunted to me-she's this woman-child and like Rosemary, seems to have no self worth. It's very sad.

That explains a lot about Rosemary's almost willingness to be fifth in line for Brady's scraps of affection. She may be the third wife, but she is treated like the fifth wife. She has the least amount of kids. She seems to get the least amount of Brady's attention. Nonie gets to have another baby? SERIOUSLY? Her kids are the smartest people on this show, and their reaction to the news speaks VOLUMES.  They are obviously 10 times more self aware then their idiot parents are. Three cheers for Paul (?), Nonie and Brady's oldest, speaking up and saying what everyone else is thinking about his selfish mother bringing a 25th child into this shit show. Even Brady's father worried on camera about Brady biting off more than he can chew and looking so worn out, and all Nonie can think of is adding more onto his burden to satisfy her own yearnings. Ditto to Rhonda and the adoption fiasco.

And for the love of Cod, can we STOP referencing Robyn's toddleresque blubberfest over the fucking anniversary ring EVERY FREAKING EPISODE?! No wonder she's such a doormat. 

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 4

Grandpa Oddball may have seemed happy at the announcement, but not 15 minutes earlier in the show, he was discussing with his wife how worried he was about Brady, how tired he seemed, and how he believed that he had bitten off more than he could chew. But, Nonie, all crazy eyes and clueless, can only see what SHE wants. Who gives a shit about adding to the burden, right Nonie? A sixth child pulls her even with the number 1 wife, Paulie, in the "I had the most Brady babies.' That's all she gives a shit about. Her status in the family and with Brady.

Three cheers for Paul, and his ability NOT to pretend to be happy for the cameras. Even the younger kids didn't exactly jump for joy. In fact, they didn't react AT ALL, which speaks volumes. They couldn't pretend to feel happy when they weren't, yet were afraid of punishment if they acted out against the news.  Paul is old enough where he feels emboldened not to hide his displeasure.

Also, do I recall Brady saying that Nonie's emotions get seriously out of whack during or after pregnancy

That is truly frightening, since we've seen how psychotic and manipulative she is when NOT knocked up.

Robyn seems so emotionally stunted to me-she's this woman-child and like Rosemary, seems to have no self worth.

It doesn't help matters that we get treated to another flashback of her snot filled blubberfest over that fucking ring every episode. God, how annoying.

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 2

Grandpa Oddball may have seemed happy at the announcement, but not 15 minutes earlier in the show, he was discussing with his wife how worried he was about Brady, how tired he seemed, and how he believed that he had bitten off more than he could chew.

I agree with Grandpa.  Say what you want about Kody Brown, but he looks well rested. Brady on the other hand, looks as if he hasn't had a good night sleep in four years.  I thought the reason Grandpa was hooting and hollering was to spare Brady and Nonie's feelings, because everyone else looked morose; even Grandma.   I believe Nonie felt the tension and that is why she was quick to chirp, "well we are excited." 

• Love 1

I found the "Baptism" very cult-like. Dude has a god complex. Rod too-look at all my DNA! I did this! It's like they equate their virility with being this superior supreme being.

I'm not Mormon, but I belonged to a religion that believed in baptism by full-immersion.  Maybe that's why it didn't strike me as strange.  I was baptized in a church, but always thought it would be pretty cool to be baptized in a body of water.

I'm confused about what they still follow in the AUB, and what they don't.  I don't think they've rejected the root of Mormonism.  It seems like they didn't care for the bigotry and strictness, as well as all the fire and brimstone of going to hell if you break a rule.  They still pray with the folded arms and baptize at the age of eight.  Also, I was confused by Brady's implication that he hadn't baptized prior children.  I thought all adult males were priesthood holders in their families, and baptized within their own families.

• Love 1

I'm also under the impression that they are no longer part of the religion, but very much still followers of the faith. I also believe that what has been suggested (reported?) earlier - that they/he may have been pushed out - probably is behind that. The likelihood that they (at least the whole family) didn't really leave willingly seems quite high.

They very much still believe - hence, the continuing to follow traditions core to the faith itself (e.g., baptism at that age). They just won't, of can't, practice with the AUB anymore.

Also, if they no longer really believed, they have no (faith-based) justification for their family as it is currently configured.

Edited by RealityCowgirl
  • Love 2
Even the younger kids didn't exactly jump for joy. In fact, they didn't react AT ALL, which speaks volumes. They couldn't pretend to feel happy when they weren't, yet were afraid of punishment if they acted out against the news.

I found the younger kids' lack of reaction interesting. Most little kids get excited about babies. I have no desire to have another kid, but if I told the kids that we were expecting one, they'd get all crazy. They recently got their first cousin when my sister had a baby 3 months ago, and they are just all about babies. Little kids usually see babies as cute and fun, and aren't really thinking of all the hard work that goes along with it. Unless....the kids are already feeling neglected because there are over freaking 20 of them and their dad is constantly flitting from one house to another, while their mom has irrational breakdowns. It actually makes me pretty sad to see how they just sat there, wheels spinning in their head, imagining life with another baby.

• Love 6