Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: We're All Broken

Eseni's past comes back to haunt her, but her spirits are lifted by Sister Maria Therese's story of past love. Francesca is overcome by a challenging mission, while Stacey meets death head-on. Christie's visions of Jesus have suddenly stopped and Claire confides in Sr. Cyril about twerking.

I don’t see any way Francesca is going to be a nun. I can’t even imagine why she thought is was a good idea for her. she gets so stressed out by everything. Claire is way too judgmental & needs to get over herself, Christie is still weird & thinks she’s dating Jesus & is worried that he might be cheating on her, & Eseni is wants to be a nun to hide. And they're all still wearing makeup.

Yuck.....Claire.  How can you minister to and serve others with such a superior, condescending and smug attitude?  No thanks.

I know that Jesus is many things to people:  Savior, spiritual guide, inspiration, point of comfort, are just a few that come to mind.  But it doesn't feel right in the gut to think of Jesus as a humanized/sexualized boyfriend that makes you crumple in hysteria when you "see" him.  Yowza. 

• Love 4

It's official: I love, love, LOVE this show! The sisters are great - smart, funny, down to earth. LOVED the gentle smack down of Claire by the sister, and the group smack down by the rest of the girls. No surprise that Eseni and Francesca were pissed, but I loved the fact that Stacy and Christie also got on board. I think Claire was honestly clueless, not that that's an excuse.

I'm liking little Francesca more by the minute. I don't see her as fragile at all, in fact rather tough and gutsy. Yes, she's emotional but she's also only 21 years old. As for her speaking to her mother every day, many adult women who are close to their moms do that their whole lives. I don't think that means anything at all.

Also loved the Holy Cow. Now that's my kind of shrine!

• Love 5

I think I'm interested in this show because it's a calling that's so alien to me. I'm not catholic. I've never attended a catholic school. I've never had much exposure to nuns and, in fact, I'm more of an agnostic than anything. And yet, there are aspects of my personality that might fit in such an environment. Not the selfless part, but more the seclusion/meditative part. ;-)

In any event, either they keep playing the same clip over and over or that one nun is really interested in "murder." Heh.

As for "The Discerners" -- which might make a cool name for a girl group  -- I'm waiting for Christie to get her one-on-one with one of the nuns. Have we seen that yet? I just want to see the look on a nun's face when Christie talks about her boyfriend, Jesus, and how he hasn't been coming around much anymore!

And then she should join this choir:

• Love 3

Wow, Claire, what a complete lack of emotional intelligence. The more they clarified how they felt the more vacant that expression on her face became.

I have a coworker like this - she can never understand why half the department isn't speaking to her.

I love this show, too!  

Claire, oh, Claire.  I think it's possible that she actually has a vocation, but though superficially maybe more mature than most of the others, she's got a long way to go!  Not only does she interrupt a nun at prayer, but does so to snitch!  And she seems to have missed a large part of the David story -- he was dancing in his underwear, his wife bitched at him for behaving that way in public (and before God), and he dumps her and she dies childless.  At least that's my memory. 

As Christie was going on and on about how much further away she felt from Jesus on this retreat, all I could think was He led you to it so he could get AWAY from you!  Which reminded me of this.  https://screen.yahoo.com/dont-pray-much-000000489.html

Sister Cyril:  "My first reaction is 'get a grip' and 'it's not all about you!'"  To be fair, she appeared to be speaking of young women candidates in general, not these precise girls.  

• Love 5

Claire is insufferable, isn't she?  Hopefully there's a redemption arc.  This is a show about faith, after all.

I don't watch reality tv *at all,* yet here I am watching a second episode of this.  I'm hoping beyond hope that there's some real truth in this.  I'm not Catholic, but I'd hope the nuns wouldn't put up with a lot of producer BS.  I mean, considering how reality shows get filmed, are the nuns really putting up with, "ok, Sister, that was good, but could you do it again and turn your head a little bit more towards the camera?"

After this episode, I'm voting Stacey as Most Likely To Move On In Her Nun Journey.  She had a lovely way of trying to talk Claire out of being an arrogant idiot.  Of course, she hasn't cracked at all yet, so haven't seen much.

• Love 1

The girls are more nuanced this week, with more depth and dimension. Claire has as much work to do as the rest, clearly. Stacey is possibly the steadiest and may have a real vocation. Christie still puts me off but who knows, she may belong in a contemplative order. Eseni and Francesca made more sense in terms of why they're there.

• Love 1

I get the impression that Christie is from a charismatic religious background--or thinks she is. One of the sisters said she understood it and was concerned that Christie would have a big adjustment to their order. I didn't know that there is a charismatic Catholic tradition in the US, but I wish the show would talk about this if it is the case.   

• Love 1

I was raised Catholic but dropped it as soon as I left home for college, as did my brothers. To keep the peace, my family didn't talk about religion a lot after that.

So I don't have much on this, but one of my mother's younger cousins was a priest who suddenly went charismatic with it. His bishop disapproved and the cousin ended up moving to Australia for a congregation there. He eventually left the church and formed his own group. Then he died.

That's literally all I know.

But it's by way of saying that whatever charismatic element exists in the Catholic church was and probably still is small. Others may have more info on it, however.

Memo to Christie: Why don't you journal and contemplate and try to connect with Jesus at night in your room? Seems they have an early lights-out policy, so don't tell me you have no time on your own.

Christie did come off better than Claire, though, in that scene where Claire apologized for being so superior to everyone else. It was astonishing how obtuse Claire was on how she comes across. They spelled it out for her, and in her confessional, she still didn't get it.

I'm coming to the point where Stacy is the only one I like, the only one who seems to understand what she's there for. Then again, some of them might be there for other reasons than discernment, so maybe they understand their own motives very well indeed.

• Love 2

Christ-ie's weeping meltdown on the church floor was ridiculous. Gawd that was so over the top ridiculous. How is it appropriate to do that in a quiet, public place?? She is bat-sh!t. 

Claire bugged when she was looking down on the girls for drinking wine. I never knew that Jesus didn't enjoy his wine. News to me, Claire. He went to social events and weddings and enjoyed his time with his followers and they drank wine to relax - at least that is what I was always taught. Plus, I've never been to a Catholic event (party, reception, summer bazaar, BINGO night, etc.) where there wasn't alcohol. And the clergy partook of the wine and beer. As long as the girls didn't disturb the Sisters trying to sleep or pray or leave a mess of bottles, I see no problem with relaxing with wine. 

• Love 1
Plus, I've never been to a Catholic event (party, reception, summer bazaar, BINGO night, etc.) where there wasn't alcohol.

Or baptism, or first communion, for that matter!  Not to mention the religious orders that make booze.

I think she was probably raised in one of the conservative arms, one without a community base of Irish/Italian/Polish/Spanish background.  Because all of those Catholic cultures looove their booze, as did pretty much every single person in the Bible.  

Because some of the girls' behavior and language seemed really evangelical Protestant to me, I asked a very devout Catholic coworker today about the hands in the air praying and whether that was a "thing" now.    She said no.  So it must be regional.  

I am SO in love with these nuns....*LOL*  I'm not paying attention much to the girls as I am to the nuns.

Agreed Claire is an insufferable snot right now, but there's nothing like a Catholic nun to deliver a much needed dose of humility at some point!  She'll be shown the error of her ways before the end of the show.  She's definitely coming off as Judgy McJudgerson.

As I mentioned last week, my dad taught at my Catholic High school & my folks had parties & gatherings at our house.  Almost all the nuns & priests enjoyed a cocktail or two, but their guideline was pretty much "everything in moderation". 

• Love 2

I'm not religious, but like many of you I find this show incredibly compelling. The sisters are so awesome. I realize there's a huge age difference between most of the sisters and the young women who are discerning, but it's sadly hard to believe that any of the discerners could ever turn out anywhere near as great as the sisters we've met so far. I agree with you all about Claire being insufferably smug and self-superior, but I have to admit that I'd be pretty annoyed by these other girls as well. 

I almost---almost!---feel badly for making fun of the one who's obsessed with Jesus "flirting" with her and coming on to her romantically because I think she might be legitimately troubled. 

I agree with everyone who thinks the supermodel one with a boyfriend just wants to be on TV. 

For some reason I can't even begin to justify, I actually have kind of a soft spot for Francesca. I agree with those who think she's immature and melodramatic and all that, but she strikes me as by far the most genuine of all of them.  

Edited by amensisterfriend
  • Love 2

Gotta love reality TV...I went from kinda-sorta being on Claire's side to totally being on Stacey's side. The way she and Christie (!) put Claire in check was pretty impressive.

Speaking of impressive...I'm loving all the nuns. The last time I had any sustained contact with nuns was high school 30+ years ago and this show's making me nostalgic for my teachers...okay, the nice ones at least.

I too didn't know there was such a thing as charismatic Catholicism. Christie's behavior is something I've seen before in evangelical Protestant circles. Either way it creeps me out...I really hope we get to see one of the nuns talk to Christie about this whole Bride of Christ thing. ("Yeah, we're Brides of Christ, but not in a literal sense, you know?")

Looks like they're in Chicago next week...I can't wait to see how they take to city ministry. Are they only going to Carmelite facilities or will they be working with other orders as well?

• Love 3

There is a charismatic Catholic parish in my diocese, and a few parishioners at my church do the hands out praying too. Also, my daughter has attended a catholic youth retreat every year that sounds to me to be exactly what Christie is used to (minus the Jesus is my boyfriend business...I've never heard that!). The way she talked about needing Adoration to see Jesus, and crying hysterically when she finally did, is how I've heard it described from this retreat.

She could have an evangelical background, but it's not completely unheard of in Catholicism. If she's serious about becoming a nun, though, she's going to have to accept the quiet/contemplative experiences of faith too.

Thanks for the link TomGirl, that article gave me the answers to questions I had about the show. Now that I know for sure it's more "reality" than reality, I'll grain of salt my show watching. 

• Love 1

I noticed at the end of this episode, they weren't wearing make up.  

I think this show is probably more real than most reality shows.  Sometimes I get annoyed with people who write articles like the one linked, it's like they're saying, "I know something you don't; I know the truth."  Like a person too cool for school.  

• Love 1

I noticed at the end of this episode, they weren't wearing make up.  

I think this show is probably more real than most reality shows.  Sometimes I get annoyed with people who write articles like the one linked, it's like they're saying, "I know something you don't; I know the truth."  Like a person too cool for school.  

It's just one person's opinion who has no more knowledge of the folks on this show than you or I do.  I'm not getting a fake vibe from anyone, and that's got to be rare for reality tv.  I don't know if any of the young women will take vows.  I don't think they know themselves yet, but I'm enjoying the look into a way of life completely outside my own experience.

• Love 2

Jumping on the love train for this show!

I think that they are wearing make-up in the TH due to the television lighting. You would think they would make it less obvious...

The girls have Facebook pages, and on Claire's she said that she's actually saying "I'm not ANTI-drinking" not "I'm not INTO drinking." She goes on to say she doesn't drink for medical reasons. Her judginess annoys, but I can kind of relate to her in a way. She obviously takes her faith seriously, and although I am not Catholic, I am religious and I take my faith seriously as well. If you are serious about being a nun, I can see where twerking in the convent would bother you. But, she lacks the maturity to love people where they are. I think she's had a lot of people telling her how special she is for her serious faith at such a young age, and she was expecting the same at the convent. She seems shocked no one thinks she's a special snowflake.

Christie. Oh, Christie. Her whole "Jesus is my boyfriend" thing seems more evangelical than Catholic. I think she was expecting days full of prayer and journaling, and the service aspect just doesn't seem appealing to her. On a totally shallow level, her teeth bug me.

Eseni: your boyfriend is hot.

Love Stacey, still making my mind up about Francesca. I'm a BIG fan of the Carmelite nuns.

EDITED TO ADD: I saw on Facebook that episodes 3 and 4 will both be shown Tuesday night.

Edited by Crystal
  • Love 2

Anti-religion and loving this show. After watching episodes 1 & 2 back-to-back this morning even *I* was contemplating life as a nun! But maybe I'm just trying to get away from drama for what looks like a simple life. Anyway, I couldn't put in that much prayer time.

It feels less "reality" than most shows, mainly due to Francesca's comment that they wanted her to go without makeup, "in front of the cameras!" and also when she walked off after Eseni, she walked right past a cameraman, and he was in the scene.

• Love 3

On a totally shallow level, her teeth bug me.

I'm glad I'm not the only one!  It looks like she has way too many huge teeth filling up her mouth, and it's all I can look at when she speaks.  Also her top lip is curled under so it makes them more prominent.