Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 31 (2014-2015)

Athena
  • Start Topic

(edited)

I talked myself out of Laura Ingalls Wilder because 2014 threw me.

Ditto.

I'll bet none of the three has ever heard of the Cisco Kid.

I liked Brennan well enough but I was really rooting for Ian - too bad he faded like that.  He looked so bummed that  Alcott was wrong.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 1
I'll bet none of the three has ever heard of the Cisco Kid.

Considering that Brennan works with computers as an operations analyst, I was surprised he missed this one -- but I guess when he read 'routers' he thought tools and thats why he guessed 'Ryobi'.

Ditto.

That makes three of this -- it just seemed too obvious.

• Love 4

Brennan is another much-discussed contestant whose mannerisms I barely notice, let alone get annoyed by.

I’m not a big NBA fan (even though I like college hoops), but I ran the category.  Maybe that means the clues were too easy.

I’m surprised Jackson was a TS.  I suspect it was more not knowing Grant is on the $50 bill in order to do the 40% math than not knowing Jackson is on the $20, but it’s still surprising for not one of the three to get it.

I knew Johnny and June were going to be a TS, and was pre-emptively sad.

Gerontology was over-valued as a DD.

I’ll be damned – a female author in a category that didn’t specify gender.  I guess they didn't have room for "American Woman Authors."

With that said, “Pioneer” and the rest of the clue made me think of Little House on the Prairie and Laura Ingalls Wilder, but I, too, rejected her because of the 2014 publication date.  I had a set of her Little House books as a kid and could never get through a single one; they just didn’t interest me.  So her works are not something I pay attention to, and I hadn’t heard anything about this other series.

• Love 2

Pioneer Girl is the published, annotated, and edited original manuscript Wilder wrote before she started her Little House series. It was Wilder's first attempt at longer storytelling to write down her life. They've been trying to get the original published for decades and even this recent version edited by Wilder biographer Pamela Hill Smith was delayed. It's grittier and more honest than the book series. The writing is raw and unpolished, but it's good if you enjoy American history because she really captured how life was back in the day.

• Love 5

The only reason I knew about Pioneer Girl because of someone on another message board last year who was having difficulty finding the book and asked for help. (I suggested contacting the Wilder museum/bookshop, which worked.) So that's how I knew Wilder.

• Love 1

Pioneer Girl was widely discussed on my other addictive forum, so I got that one.

Cisco obviously isn't the powerhouse it was 10-15 years ago, or any IT guy would have gotten it. I got sick of hearing husband talk about Cisco certifications in those days.

Ian's hair was taking me back to the 1990s!

• Love 3

The only thing I really remember about The Cisco Kid is that black suit with the fancy piping he always wore.

And that he was a friend of mine*

*song by War

• Love 8

After the first round, I thought for sure Ian had a runaway, so I was surprised to see him come in third.

For women in my area and age group, going on a Laura Ingalls Wilder vacation to South Dakota and Minnesota seems to be required, although I haven't done it yet, so many of my friends were talking quite intensely about "Pioneer Girl" last year.  Because of that, FJ was an instaget for me, and I'm glad Jeopardy reminded me, because I'll put a hold on it at the library.

For anyone interested in her life and the sites, there's an excellent ebook called "The Wilder Life: My Adventures in the Lost World of Little House on the Prairie" by Wendy McClure that I enjoyed.  That author apparently lives just up the road from me.  (Seriously, a huge number of women from Chicago just get in their cars each summer and go on a Laura tour!)

• Love 3

49ers quarterback could refer to Steve Young, but adding the 4 Super Bowls detail meant it was Montana.

The only 49ers quarterback I know is Joe Montana.  I occasionally watched while he was playing, and only because I thought he was hot.  Yeah, I'm not a football fan.  :-)

"What's Happening with the Patriots" (note: not the actual show title)

Damn, and I was picturing Tom Brady hanging out with Raj, Dwayne and Rerun.

• Love 5

(Seriously, a huge number of women from Chicago just get in their cars each summer and go on a Laura tour!)

I totally would if I lived in the Midwest.  I managed to score a copy of Pioneer Girl from the library about a month after it came out; it's really a terrific book, though still quite raw as its primary text is unedited.  So FJ was an instaget for me.

(edited)

I knew about Pioneer Girl because my Mom and I have been talking about the book for a while.  I wanted to get it but they printed so few copies during the first run, it took forever for it to become available to buy.  Of course, now I have to find the time to actually read it.

(Seriously, a huge number of women from Chicago just get in their cars each summer and go on a Laura tour!)

That's my dream - to visit all her homes.  I actually have a guidebook to all her homes.

Edited by M. Darcy

Count me in as another who missed FJ because of that. If they had left the year out, easy peasy. Year in ... Whaaaaa? I wouldn't have written Wilder because that would have made me look so stupid since she lived and wrote decades before last year. "Dooah!" -- TM Homer Simpson

Yeah, "router" is another word that can be used in two ways. I was thinking tools as well, although I knew Ryobi couldn't be correct. I use to write for the equipment industry so was stumped. Then it turned out to be computer routers, so that was a real DUH moment for me since I work with them now.

How old am I that I used to watch The Cisco Kid. I still use Pancho's catch phrase: "Let's went, Cisco" when it's time to leave. I'm sure my friends hate me for it.

Jeopardy! is on NBC at 4:30 here so I'm ahead of all of you it appears, in watching new episodes. Golf was on my Fox last night but it didn't interfere with any shows I watch so I was okay with it. Even though it does not belong on weeknight primetime. 

I was all pumped that Brennan was behind after the Jeopardy! round, then he went and made it a runaway. Does anyone know how old he is? I don't always listen when Trebek introduces or talks to the contestants. It is nice he's young and smart. But I'm ready for him to leave. Although I do feel better today (flu bug gone) so maybe he won't bother me so much today.

• Love 2

How old am I that I used to watch The Cisco Kid. I still use Pancho's catch phrase: "Let's went, Cisco" when it's time to leave. I'm sure my friends hate me for it.

I have never watched The Cisco Kid but I would absolutely love you for this. I wouldn't even care how many times you said it.

• Love 2
(edited)

Thanks, Chattygal. Good link. Yeah, there have been several Massachusetts contestants lately, but at least Trebek isn't going all Bahstun Cah Pahk on them like he did with that first guy, who kept slipping in and out of his accent, real or not.

ETA: Mojoween, you have just made me feel better. Thanks.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 1
(edited)
I feel like there's been over-representation from Massachusetts for a few months - do they do local cattle calls from those who have passed the online test? It feels like at least every other night, my ears perk up hearing a local town mentioned.

I think it also has a lot to do with the timing and convenience of getting to the in-person testing location -- because there are only so many cities that those are held in, they are not always conveniently located for everyone, and they are typically held during weekdays from 9 and 5.

For example, for the online test registration this past April you had to pick the location where you wanted to take the in-person testing location if you were selected -- if I remember correctly, the only city in the northeast was Boston, and I believe that the next closest locations after that were St. Louis and maybe Atlanta.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 1

You're welcome Saber!

Last year when I got the Sports Jeopardy! call I was able to take the test in New York City but this year for both Jeopardy! and Sports I would have had to drive to Boston. Which, considering the rigamarole of driving from Syracuse to Secaucus (with a stop in Red Bank) and then taking the train to Penn Station I probably would be better off going to Boston.

That could be a Jeopardy! clue. "What city is it possible to drive to within the same state by actually driving through two other states to get there?"

• Love 2

I used to watch it too; Cisco was my first crush - I was very young:)  Oddly, I don't remember "Let's went, Cisco" (or I would be using it all the time too) but dh and I do use "Oh, Cisco!", "Oh, Pancho!".  I was just looking up The Cisco Kid on wikipedia and apparently he was based on an O. Henry story - who would have guessed?!

(edited)

but dh and I do use "Oh, Cisco!", "Oh, Pancho!"

This completely made me laugh because I'd forgotten about that, Cisco and Pancho said it every episode. Thanks for the flashback, Trey! I did not know TCK was an O. Henry story though. I shall have to look that up and read it!

if I remember correctly, the only city in the northeast was Boston, and I believe that the next closest locations after that were St. Louis and maybe Atlanta.

ChicagoCita was trying to get somewhere ... St. Louis? Kansas City? ... to take the test. One would think Chicago would be a nice, big central location for testing but St. Louis and KC are easier to negotiate, and cheaper to stay in.

Not that I'll ever have to worry about showing up for an in-person test. I'm pretty much past my expiration date for ever getting on any tv show.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 2

Oddly, I don't remember "Let's went, Cisco" (or I would be using it all the time too) but dh and I do use "Oh, Cisco!", "Oh, Pancho!".

We use the latter a lot in my family, too.  For the former, we say "Let us went."

I didn't hear that clue last night; it must have been while I was answering the phone.  The archive isn't updated yet.

• Love 2
(edited)

Congrats to Brennan for his 5th win, but Jennifer really handed it to him.

She had the last clue in the DJ round, and it was a DD -- why, oh, why didn't she bet enough to take the lead ?  Regardless if she got it wrong or not, it still would not have been a runaway for Brennan.

ETA: I missed FJ, went with George Hale.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 2
ChicagoCita was trying to get somewhere ... St. Louis? Kansas City? ... to take the test. One would think Chicago would be a nice, big central location for testing but St. Louis and KC are easier to negotiate, and cheaper to stay in.

It's in KC, Mo.  The two previous times I in-person auditioned (and failed to get the call!), auditions were held in a hotel that's a 20-minute bus ride from my house. So I'm a bit bummed that it's so far away this time, especially since I am pretty much tied to being in Chicago for the foreseeable future, but I'm planning on giving it a shot. Thank you, Saber5055, for your advice on someone to tend to my chronically ill cat while I'm out of town.

• Love 4
(edited)

I was surprised by some of the TS in the Bronte category.  My neighbors' puzzlement for the evening will come from me shouting, "Condole!"

For FJ, my mind spun around blankly until the last few seconds when it came to me in a flash of "duh."  Under game conditions, I'd almost certainly have embarrassed myself.

And the town (re-)named after a type of spruce that Alex thought was so obvious was as unknown to me as it was the contestants.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 2
(edited)

I swear on the show I watched tonight, Brennan won his fifth game, but this article says that he lost his fifth game with a totally different FJ question: http://www.saratogian.com/general-news/20150619/skidmore-grad-to-plays-fifth-round-on-jeopardy

Specifically:

The Malden, Mass., native had a four-day total of $102,000 as of June 18. “Jeopardy” airs locally at 7:30 p.m. on WTEN, Channel 10.

On the fifth day, Bushee finished the first and second rounds in the lead. When it came to the final Jeopardy question – a query about a futuristic television show – he guessed the correct answer, Back to the Future, but didn’t wager enough to finish with the top total of the night.

Edited by Athena
Spoiler tag.

Congrats to Brennan for his 5th win, but Jennifer really handed it to him.

She had the last clue in the DJ round, and it was a DD -- why, oh, why didn't she bet enough to take the lead ?  Regardless if she got it wrong or not, it still would not have been a runaway for Brennan.

ETA: I missed FJ, went with George Hale.

She couldn't have known that the last clue would turn out to be a giveaway considering that no one had answered any of the previous ones correctly, though, and risking too much might have placed her in a worse position for FJ, which turned out to be fairly easy as well.  Then, again, I'm consrvative in betting, even with other people's money. 

• Love 1
(edited)
She couldn't have known that the last clue would turn out to be a giveaway considering that no one had answered any of the previous ones correctly, though, and risking too much might have placed her in a worse position for FJ, which turned out to be fairly easy as well.

But that's what bugged me -- she wagered $2000 anyway so she might as well have wagered at least another $401 just in case she did get it right. I find it disappointing when contestants appear to be playing for 2nd place -- it's like they have already given up.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver

I thought it was weird when Jennifer answered 'den of vipers,' and Alex paused before saying, "We'll accept that." What else would it be?

I was really impressed with how Brennan came back to the lead.

I thought it was weird when Jennifer answered 'den of vipers,' and Alex paused before saying, "We'll accept that." What else would it be?

Viper pit/pit of vipers.

• Love 2

Oh, no worries! I am intrigued at how/why their information got mucked with at the Saratogian. Did someone catch a rerun tonight and say, "Oh hey the champ lost" and just stick it in the piece? Truly weird.

Good question!

Per the archive, "Back to the Future" has never been a Final Jeopardy answer, so it is not about a rerun.

• Love 1

I've always heard "nest of vipers."

That's what I thought they were expecting also, though it obviously isn't the only possibility.  I found this at phrases.org.uk:

The first documented occurrence of the two terms [the two terms being "nest" for groups of villainous people and "vipers" as an insult for those of poisonous intent] combined to form 'a nest of vipers' was in 1644, when a pamphlet that criticised a group of plotters who were planning treason against the English Parliament was titled A Nest of Perfidious Vipers.

• Love 1
(edited)

The Bronte-saurus category was interesting.  I don't know why the one contestant thought "bacca" might mean milk; I can almost see Brennan thinking of Bacchus and thus guess wine.  But it seemed obvious to me that it was tobacco.  I thought the rest of that category was fairly hard.

I was very surprised that strudel was a ts with a picture of it right there.

Did not get FJ but smacked my head at the reveal.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 2
(edited)

And the town (re-)named after a type of spruce that Alex thought was so obvious was as unknown to me as it was the contestants.

Yes, Mr. Trebek was at the height of pomposity (!) when he gave that TS answer. Which I didn't know either.

I'll bet that newspaper article was talking about the sixth game, Monday's episode. They could have gotten the info from Brennan himself and goofed up the episode number. We will find out next week ...

But that's what bugged me -- she wagered $2000 anyway so she might as well have wagered at least another $401 just in case she did get it right.

I'm terrible at math so I can see myself doing that same bet, absolutely sure I had bet enough to be in first place, only to find out I'd goofed up my addition/subtraction. Duh.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 1
She had the last clue in the DJ round, and it was a DD -- why, oh, why didn't she bet enough to take the lead ?  Regardless if she got it wrong or not, it still would not have been a runaway for Brennan.

I also think Jennifer made a foolish bid.  She didn't help herself at all for FJ.  

Was that the category where it was a "tru" word?

Yes, so when the contestant guessed "pinwheel," I expected Alex to say something about remembering the category.

Way to go, Skidmore College Office of Communications and the Saratogian. I think they just spoiled a future game.

This ruined the suspense of today's game for me.  Next thing I know, Skidmore College will tell kids there's no Santa! 

• Love 2
(edited)
I haven't finished watching tonight - take it he loses? The fault with the reveal seems to be firmly in the Saratogian's camp, as they inserted the specific game information. Skidmore revised their release earlier today with the correct Friday results.

So, how did the Saratogian get today's results last Friday is the big question ?

I'm not sure what Brennan was thinking with that $5000 wager -- he should have at least bet enough to cover if Sasha got it right.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 3

That wager killed me. I like Brennan and wanted to continue to watch him do well, and I hate when it's just a bad FJ wager that decides the winner/loser.

I also laughed when I saw the FJ category, because of the Saratogian article. Looks like someone broke the terms of their contract :P

• Love 3

Another great game even if we were spoiled for the result which is really crappy.  But the contestants put on a good show. And congrats to the new champ.

I thought there were some fairly obscure questions in this game with few triple stumpers.  One of the TS's I knew was canary for a female singer or a stool pigeon.

FJ was almost an instaget.  I thought someone might say The Jetsons.

• Love 2

I'm not sure what Brennan was thinking with that $5000 wager -- he should have at least bet enough to cover if Sasha got it right.

I liked Brennan, and I noticed he was a very conservative and consistent better. He always did about $3000 or $4000 with his DD.

Since I was a bit spoiled, I was rooting for Kay! Then Sacha came out of nowhere.

• Love 2