Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 31 (2014-2015)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Okay, I can see thinking Belle might be based on a historical figure that has descendants to be modeled after, but.... Ariel?!! Hahaha, I got a nice giggle out of that answer!

• Love 5

It was nice to have some nice normal people instead of famous idjits.

I like Andrew and am glad he won, but I wish he'd quit rocking and hold still. I felt sorry for the lady in the middle. She seemed knowledgeable but was beaten by the buzzer.

I thought FJ was obviously a Native American given the descendent's name.

• Love 4

I've had Sheena Is a Punk Rocker in my head ever since that clue was read.

I've never been much of a fan of animated films (or TV shows, for that matter; I watched few cartoons as a child), so I was quite hesitant going into FJ, but since Pocahontas was the only Native American I could think of an animated film about, it wound up being an easy one for me.

My education for the day: I never knew what the hang ten phrase meant in surfing.

The Texas category was too easy for this show.  Not celebrity game levels of easy, but easy nonetheless.  And I thought the titanium clue was over valued for a DD in DJ.

In that elements category, I shared Alex's surprise that iodine was a TS.

I wanted to see the rest of the On Your Face category.

• Love 1

I was surprised by last night's FJ. Not by how hard or easy it was, but how differently MrKate and I perceived it. I almost tricked myself out of the right answer, but MrKate claims he had no clue (until I said Pocahontas out loud, and then agreed that made a lot of sense).

With the category of "Animated Movie Characters" my instinct was to bet it all, but then backpedaled, as I was expecting some obscure animated character  (like the cat from "An American Tale 2: Fievel Goes West") or an animated character in a not-completely animated movie (B'rer Rabbit from "Song of the South"; Jessica Rabbit from "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?"; or some other animated character in a partially live-action movie with the last name of Rabbit that I sure wish I could have thought of to have a 3 item list with a theme here, now that those were my first two)

But: "Her look was partly inspired by descendant Shirley 'Little Dove' Custalow McGowan & by model Christy Turlington

Her = Female

Descendant = real person (immediately shrunk my quick list to Anastasia or Pocahontas, then quickly threw out Anastasia, as she wouldn't have had descendants)

"Little Dove" name clue (and the general look of Christy Turlington) reinforced the answer I came two with those clues.

Is it a gender issue? Both males got it wrong, but that seems really dismissive to say a guy wouldn't know it (and, as was said upthread... Ariel?? Giggles for sure.)

• Love 1

I'm a chick and Pocahontas never ever occurred to me. I was picturing Christy Turlington after and just didn't see it.

I have no idea who Christy Turlington is. I've never seen Pocahontas either. I just went by the descendant's name.

• Love 2

I had despaired of the woman at the end when Chile and Peru were both eliminated in the Andes question but she didn't even guess Argentina. But she really pulled up her socks in DJ round.

Andrew pulls the win out again. 

This is the first episode I 've seen since the CJ tournament - I am so glad that is over!

• Love 1

Unless I misheard what he said, I think the champ got credit for a wrong answer tonight.  The clue was "This Tennessee man's career in the whiskey business started in 1863 while he was still a teenager," and he gave the man's name as Jack Daniels.  But his name was Jack Daniel--the "Daniel's" in the whiskey name is the possessive.  I was a little surprised when it wasn't corrected after the commercial break.

• Love 3

Alex is still amazed FJ is important?

When he said that, I said WTF? Pay attention, Alex! It counted again today, big time. Go Andrew!

Dammit! I missed half of DJ because my neighbor kept blowing a fuse I share with him that controls my cable box. Grrrrr!!

I guess growing up and living in cattle country has its advantages. I knew heifer, locoweed and Hereford.

I could have kicked myself, though, on Truth or Consequences. I've been there.

I guessed Frankfurt for FJ but then changed my mind to Zurich.

Unless I misheard what he said, I think the champ got credit for a wrong answer tonight.

Your ears did not deceive you; he appended the S.  I thought for sure they'd correct that after the break, but, nope - it slid right by.

I can't decide which TS surprised me more -- heifer or Chirac.  Maybe the latter; the French History category was pretty easy, and then they go and blow a clue from modern times. 

I thought the Goodyear clue was over valued as a DD, since the category spotted contestants the first name.  And I thought the Tarrytown clue was one of the easier ones in the Sleepy Hollow category, so I was a bit surprised that was designated as a DD.

I thought Zurich for FJ, then realized I was in the wrong country.  I got Frankfurt, but didn't have a lot of faith in it.

(edited)

The answer to the cow question wasn't heifer it was Heferod.

I can't decide which TS surprised me more -- heifer or Chirac. Maybe the latter; the French History category was pretty easy, and then they go and blow a clue from modern times.

The answer to the cow question wasn't heifer it was Hereford. Edited by biakbiak

I got Frankfurt because I just a read a bio about one of the Rothschilds.  They came from Frankfurt.  (but please note, I'm not one of those conspiracy people who think the Rothschilds own all the money.  Oprah does.)

I noticed the Jack Daniel thing, too.  Last year, I toured the distillery in Lynchburg, TN. (No free samples.) They show you the safe in his office that killed him.  He'd forgotten the combination and in frustration, kicked it.  Did major damage to his foot that never healed & he eventually died from it - now they're saying he was probably diabetic & didn't know it.

• Love 1
(edited)

Your ears did not deceive you; he appended the S.  I thought for sure they'd correct that after the break, but, nope - it slid right by.

I can't decide which TS surprised me more -- heifer or Chirac.  Maybe the latter; the French History category was pretty easy, and then they go and blow a clue from modern times. 

I thought the Goodyear clue was over valued as a DD, since the category spotted contestants the first name.  And I thought the Tarrytown clue was one of the easier ones in the Sleepy Hollow category, so I was a bit surprised that was designated as a DD.

I thought Zurich for FJ, then realized I was in the wrong country.  I got Frankfurt, but didn't have a lot of faith in it.

I got all the cow questions right - having uncles who farm really paid off last night.  (Obviously none of the contestants watched Dig or they would've at least gotten heifer.)

And I watch too much television, obviously, because the only reason I knew Tarrytown was due to watching Sleepy Hollow.

I never realized that the company name for that particular brand of Tennessee whiskey was possessive; needless to say I answered "Jack Daniels" as well.

I didn't get Goodyear - I said Wrigley.  And I answered Amsterdam for FJ because I had no freaking idea and the "Mainhatten" thing threw me.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 1
(edited)

Good on me, I ran the "Cow" category. It's typical for contestants to not know animal categories, they leave them for last, and they're my specialty. However, I traditionally tank on "Shakespeare" and "Opera" categories. Call me The Bizarro Jeopardy Player.

Good catch on Jack Daniel(s) Modrianyone. That one slipped by me. And thanks for the fill-in on the guy, Prevailing Wind. Some day that info could be in a Jeopardy game!

Sleepy Hollow was a hoot, because I, too, watch that show. So "Tarrytown" was a given. Thanks, Tom Mison, for being hot.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 4

I was majorly bummed when they didn't finish the NATO phonetic alphabet category, as it's a bit of an obsession of mine. Since I know it so well, once they gave the letter right at the top, I didn't need the rest of the clue, I already knew the answer! Strange to see that subject back so quickly, I seem to remember the phonetic alphabet being the basis for a category not too long ago.

• Love 1

I was majorly bummed when they didn't finish the NATO phonetic alphabet category, as it's a bit of an obsession of mine.

Me too!  I was a huge fan of Dollhouse so I was waiting for Victor or Echo.  I didn't know that Melville quote but thanks to Dollhouse I knew "N" was for November.

• Love 4

And I answered Amsterdam for FJ because I had no freaking idea and the "Mainhatten" thing threw me.

Alex's pronunciation of Mainhatten sounded German to me, but I settled on Bonn.

• Love 1

Me too!  I was a huge fan of Dollhouse so I was waiting for Victor or Echo.  I didn't know that Melville quote but thanks to Dollhouse I knew "N" was for November.

Wow, I watched Dollhouse but had no idea about the theme of the names!

• Love 1
(edited)

I have no idea who Christy Turlington is. I've never seen Pocahontas either. I just went by the descendant's name.

I don't know either, though I have seen Pocahontas.  In this part of Virginia, Custalow is a known Native American name, of the Mattaponi tribe, so I knew it was Pocahontas.  Although Custalows are usually associated with the Mattaponi Tribe, Pocahontas was a member of the Pamunkey tribe.  I've also been to the Pocahontas grave site in Gravesend, but I know there's a lot that I don't know about her.  

Edited by zoey1996
  • Love 2

There's a game show premiering on ABC tonight called 500 Questions. I don't know the format or quality, but on the surface, it seems it might appeal to the Jeopardy crowd. 

• Love 1
There's a game show premiering on ABC tonight called 500 Questions. I don't know the format or quality, but on the surface, it seems it might appeal to the Jeopardy crowd.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/500_Questions

From the Wikipedia entry: "ABC is dubbing the show as an event style similar to NBC's failed Million Second Quiz."

It runs for seven straight nights, a la MSQ.

There's no better idea than ripping off a really bad idea and making it even worse

• Love 2

Wow, I watched Dollhouse but had no idea about the theme of the names!

I think they explicitly mentioned it at some point because I probably wouldn't have caught on either :P I named my cat Echo after the character on Dollhouse.

Sierra, Victor, Echo, Whiskey and November were some of the names I can remember, I'm sure there were more.  FWIW a local drag queen goes by India Foxtrot.

Also Alpha! And I think Charlie?

Well, it wasn't written in ENGLISH!

"Iesvs Nazarenvs Rex Iudaeorvm" in Latin, and also posted in Hebrew & Greek, so that passersby, at least the educated ones, could read the crimes of the condemned.

But yeah, "Nazarene" isn't a "place."  And the clue asked for "this place," not a literal translation, so I guess I have to give 'em that.

And oh, yeah, I was pretty surprised yesterday when they accepted Jack DanielS!

• Love 1

Board hopping makes my OCD act up. Andrew's win total also hurts my soul. If he wins tomorrow I hope he rounds it out.

Are they not able to re-tape the interviews? Because why would they keep in the show Alex asking Ben where he served overseas when the answer was Virginia, Rhode Island, Texas and Hawaii?

Bad form on the Ashley Simpson answer, Alex. This is exhibit A why they need to either make the whole name standard or only ever allow the last name without asking them to be more specific.

Like in the "Alliterati" category, they should have had to give both names because that was kind of the point of the whole category.

• Love 5

Well, it wasn't written in ENGLISH!

"Iesvs Nazarenvs Rex Iudaeorvm" in Latin, and also posted in Hebrew & Greek, so that passersby, at least the educated ones, could read the crimes of the condemned.

But yeah, "Nazarene" isn't a "place."  And the clue asked for "this place," not a literal translation, so I guess I have to give 'em that.

And oh, yeah, I was pretty surprised yesterday when they accepted Jack DanielS!

That irritated me though because it can be translated either way and the "N" isn't even necessarily representing a noun. The clue did specify place, and I thought it was a fairly easy clue, but it's unfortunate that the woman in the middle just way over-thought/over-complicated it.

• Love 1
(edited)

Bad form on the Ashley Simpson answer, Alex. This is exhibit A why they need to either make the whole name standard or only ever allow the last name without asking them to be more specific.

Before being prompted for more information on the returning champ's "What is Simpson ?" answer, Alex said "Who is A".  Way to go Trebek -- and give away the first initial of the first name.

I am glad that they called Andrew on his answer of 'What is Pebble ?'

Good thing there was only one alternative answer for the Fisher King response by Andrew </sarcasm>, since per mythologydictionary.com, he could have also answered from the following:

Fisher King, Amfortas, Pelles, Anfortas, Grail Keeper, Grail King, The Fisher King, The Sinner King, Rich Fisher, Fisherman King, Le Roi Mehaigne, The, Maimed King, Parlan, Pelham, Pellam, Pelleam, Pellean, Pelleham, Pellehan, Pellehen, Pelle(h)an, Wounded King, SinnerKing, Alan, Alain le Gros or Aleyn and several others.

WTF ?  Plus, wasn't there something in the clue about a regal link.

Like in the "Alliterati" category, they should have had to give both names because that was kind of the point of the whole category.

Exactly -- what was the point of including alliteration as part of the category if they didn't force them to say both first and last name to confirm the alliterative aspect to satisfy the clue ?

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 3

I don't know why the judges can't choose a method and stick with it. It's like they decide as they go along. And it doesn't help matters when Alex gives away the answer.

(edited)

Glad Andrew won again. He does need to even out that score tomorrow.

I instantly disliked Ben for his annoying board jumping (that he kept up even after finding the DDs he got wrong) but to answer a question about foreign deployments with postings in America made him sound not very bright. Plus, he was too slow picking clues.

They need to start requiring first and last names, period! Sheesh!

Oh, and Alex, go boo hiss yourself.

Edited by CarpeDiem54
  • Love 4

The clue did specify place, and I thought it was a fairly easy clue, but it's unfortunate that the woman in the middle just way over-thought/over-complicated it.

Twelve years of Catholic school, I thought that was way too easy for FJ.

Based on the category, my wager for FJ would have been a big fat zero, and when I first read the clue, I thought that would have been a good thing -- I had no idea there was anything written on the cross.  But limited knowledge helped; the only place associated with Christianity I could think of beginning with N was Nazareth, so I guessed my way into a correct answer.

I'm a bit surprised Witness for the Prosecution and The Verdict were TS.

I'm still annoyed by Jack Daniels being accepted, especially after today's correction of the "Pebble" error.  I think of that as one of those built-in possibilities everyone would be on the lookout for; either from being so used to hearing/saying Daniel's and forgetting to correct for the clue seeking the person rather than the liquor or from thinking Jack's last name was Daniels rather than Daniel, that's an anticipated mistake.  So when a contestant makes it, I expect it to be caught.

• Love 2

I'm still annoyed by Jack Daniels being accepted, especially after today's correction of the "Pebble" error.

You know, in early Flintstones episodes, Wilma's maiden name was indeed "Pebble!"  In later episodes, after they introduced her mother Pearl Slaghoople, her maiden name seemed to change to Slaghoople.  Major continuity error there, Hanna-Barbera.

The contestant (I forget which one it was) could possibly argue this point.  All they asked for was the name of a Flintstones character, right, not specifically Fred & Wilma's daughter?  So Wilma (a Flintstones character) was originally (sur)named Pebble.  I'd argue it!

• Love 2

but to answer a question about foreign deployments with postings in America made him sound not very bright.

It's entirely possible that Ben has never been deployed outside the U.S., which is why he only listed American postings, but if so, he should've said that.  Of course, that would've made Alex look a bit dim, so . . .

• Love 2
(edited)

I am enjoying Andrew a great deal as he seems so enthusiastic and personable.  The swaying didn't bother me as much last night. I finally realized who he reminds me of - Michael Sheen from some TV movie where he played Tony Blair.  Glad he got his 5 days. The next TOC is shaping up nicely...

Andrew has been my favorite champ of the last dozen or so.  I like how calm he is and I've never really noticed the swaying.  I hope he stays around for a while, and now that I've said that, I hope I haven't jinxed him.

Edited by SierraMist
  • Love 1

The contestant (I forget which one it was) could possibly argue this point.

I believe it was Andrew, who won anyway. So, never mind I guess. Except for the principle of it. Great trivia, BTW, Wild Sow; thanks!

• Love 1

I believe it was Andrew, who won anyway. So, never mind I guess. Except for the principle of it. Great trivia, BTW, Wild Sow; thanks!

Thanks!  

Wilma's maiden name is kind of the Chuck Cunningham / Judy Winslow / Bobby Martin of The Flintstones.