Type keyword(s) to search

RHoBH in the Media

• Start Topic

Ever since I read some time ago that Lisa Rina is a friend of Kyle's, I've been wary of her joining RHOBH.  It stands to reason that if they're friends offstage, they'll be friends onstage as well.  To me, Kyle is an insidious backstabber and the most disloyal friend anyone could have.  I was hoping that BRAVO would can Kim and that Kyle would quit out of loyalty (as she said she would).  I don't have the experience of having seen Lisa on a previous show, so all I can do is try to keep an open mind.  If she's anything like Kyle's other friends, though, such as Faye and Dana, I'll be disappointed.  

By the way, has anyone read about Dana's case going to trial?  I know she was charged, but I haven't read anything since.

Edited by Lura
  • Love 2

Lura, I think Lisa Rinna will be OK on this show, nothing like Faye. She seems very down-to-earth and can laugh at herself. At least, I hope she is still that way. Surprising to read that last year she said no way she'd be on this show and now here she is.

Frankly, I'm more interested in seeing Harry Hamlin and whatever one-liners he comes up with.

By the way, has anyone read about Dana's case going to trial?  I know she was charged, but I haven't read anything since.

It came out in the last few that days she's asking for her $25K bond back to supposedly care for her child and ailing 90-something grandmother...and faces up to 20 years in prison...

Edited by CyberJawa1986

Thanks, CyberJawa.

LOL, cooksdelight.  You never know, though, when Dana might tire of those cell lights on all night, and those specs might come in handy.  On the other hand, she just may have hawked those sunglasses to pay for her bail.

Edited by Lura
  • Love 1

Hey Lura, I know you're a bit sceptical of Lisa Rinna (b/c she's a friend of Kyle's), but according to this article Brandi and Yolanda don't care too much for her. I don't know if that's a positive or negative for you since you like Yo (or used to) and you don't like Brandi anymore -- I actually think she's going to be a great addition.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2763137/Thinking-pink-Brandi-Glanville-Real-Housewives-stars-Camille-Grammer-Kyle-Richards-sport-matching-dream-team-tops-scavenger-hunt.html

One thing that bugs me about this article is the buzz around whether or not the women will bring enough drama b/c for the most part they're all getting along. I, for one, welcome it. I don't think they have to have OTT fighting to make it watchable. Petty little tiffs are enough for me (as long as it doesn't carry on nauseatingly long, ahem Kyle). I want more story lines about their real life lives at home and glamour. I watched the Ladies of London and liked it far more than RH's due to the fact they weren't heavily fighting all the time and the show was classier.

Edited by msblossom
  • Love 3

Brandi had Lisa R on her podcast show.  Doesn't mean they like each other.  But Lisa R did go on it.  And it was sexy.  

Brandi Glanville @BrandiGlanville  ·  Sep 16
Check my sexy interview with @lisarinna on @PodcastOne Brandi Glanville Unfiltered for free now !!!

I would be curious what Brandi could bring to the show if she's not going to get into fights with people or be drunk? A few episodes promoting her next book? A few episodes of her t-shirt line? Another house rental? More cursing and see thru clothing with no bra? There's not much she can bring to the table that's new and exciting. Maybe this can be her last season, going out with a whimper.

I'm really hoping that Brandi and Yolanda have scenes separate from Lisa R, Lisa V, and Kyle. Makes it easier to fast forward.

I watched maybe 1 1/2 episodes of the London ladies and gave up. Would you say it is worth it to re-dvr it if they do a marathon again? Since you said it was less fighting I might give it a chance, just to see London things.

I think it's worth it. It's a bit of an acquired taste, imo, because it's a completely different show, but has similarities to the HW's franchise. The season only had 8 episodes -- which makes it a bit better because it doesn't require such a big commitment and there's no reunion or lost footage episode. That said, I always think it takes a new season 4 or 5 episodes to get in the groove of things. And yes -- LOTS of London goodies! Even Prince Charles @ a polo match.

I think Yolanda is very territorial and that might be why she isn't gelling with LisaR. I think Yolanda is falling for the mechanics of being on the show, if that makes sense. She has a part she wants to fulfill or wanted to fulfill and it didn't happen the way she wanted it too. And you would think that she would be the alpha in the Yolanda and Brandi pairing but I think Brandi is manipulating the friendship. I don't even think it is a friendship, I think it is an alliance, and Brandi is the alpha.

You make a good point with Yo. I think she is territorial and when someone comes along who is confident and successful like Rinna, Yo gets her back up and sees it as competition. She didn't have a problem reaching out to Brandi, Kim, and the Wiccan HW (I forget her name) because she sees herself as better than them in the sense they are kinda pathetic and NEED an ally. And in her relationship to Brandi -- it's been said many times around here that Brandi's got some good dirt on Yo which gives Brandi the upper hand, and I can see that as plausible.
  • Love 1

Thanks, msblossom, for the link, and I totally agree about the wish for less fighting and more glamor.  If only BRAVO would hear our pleas!

I think I have RHOBH figured out at last.  I think it's a love/hate thing.  The powers that be want us to love every character and hate every character at the same time.  As we saw last season, even LisaV isn't immune to trouble, and we've all seen Brandi be downright loveable at times.  While it's true that I thought Yolanda could do no wrong for a long time, I've now seen some obvious faults in her.  I still like her, but ....  Even Kyle isn't 100% bad (only 99% -- sorry, couldn't help it!).  I actually started out liking Kyle, but after the infamous dinner party with Faye badgering Brandi, I haven't been able to look at her in the same light.  So, thanks to this board, I think I'll like LisaR and Eileen Davidson until the writers think the two have earned their stripes and make them UNlikeable!  Because, if the past is any indication, that love/hate theme is bound to show up again for both of them.

Edited by Lura
  • Love 1

Thanks, msblossom, for the link, and I totally agree about the wish for less fighting and more glamor.  If only BRAVO would hear our pleas!

I think I have RHOBH figured out at last.  I think it's a love/hate thing.  The powers that be want us to love every character and hate every character at the same time.  As we saw last season, even LisaV isn't immune to trouble, and we've all seen Brandi be downright loveable at times.  While it's true that I thought Yolanda could do no wrong for a long time, I've now seen some obvious faults in her.  I still like her, but ....  Even Kyle isn't 100% bad (only 99% -- sorry, couldn't help it!).  I actually started out liking Kyle, but after the infamous dinner party with Faye badgering Brandi, I haven't been able to look at her in the same light.  So, thanks to this board, I think I'll like LisaR and Eileen Davidson until the writers think the two have earned their stripes and make them UNlikeable!  Because, if the past is any indication, that love/hate theme is bound to show up again for both of them.

I agree with you in a sense - that the characters (/people) on RHOBH have a bit more depth than on the other Real Housewives franchises. No one is completely unlikeable or completely flawed; in that way, the dynamic complexity of their humanity, shallow people that they are, actually appears. They are deeply shallow, as the expression goes.  Richard Lawson (Gawker recapper a few years back) was right to say that the sadness of all the RH franchises is best expressed in Beverly Hills. Brandi, that 19-year old trapped in the body of a 42-year old, comes the closest to being truly unlikeable, but even she can be charming. Lisa V. is manipulative, duplicitous, and backstabbing, but still remains intriguing, albeit more to others than to myself (I think she's mostly a good actress and a fair-weather friend.) Kim is immature and can't always take responsibility for her actions, but is (in my book) entertaining and likeable because she seems flawed and fundamentally decent. I'm not judgmental of her for her mental health or addiction issues. Kyle is self-deprecatingly witty and fun, but is more calculating than she lets on. The list goes on...By contrast, the RHONJ cast are all boorish, vile idiots, who lack any intriguing complexity (or contradictions) in their natures.

Edited by vrocotamy
  • Love 4

I would be curious what Brandi could bring to the show if she's not going to get into fights with people or be drunk? A few episodes promoting her next book? A few episodes of her t-shirt line? Another house rental? More cursing and see thru clothing with no bra? There's not much she can bring to the table that's new and exciting. Maybe this can be her last season, going out with a whimper.

I'm really hoping that Brandi and Yolanda have scenes separate from Lisa R, Lisa V, and Kyle. Makes it easier to fast forward.

Brandi could go back to being who she was in her first two seasons. I don't remember anyone coming on one of these shows and being so popular so quickly. To the tune that she had a major best selling book early in her second season. She could simply do no wrong - ever. Game Night was horrible, and Kyle and Kim showed us their asses. Brandi was no innocent, however, but she was the victim and she played it for all it was worth. She didn't dwell on that night or seem to hold any ill will. She forgave and moved on and looked like the bigger person. Folks loved her and hated Kyle. It literally happened overnight. She somehow managed to make herself the victim in the whole Adrienne deal, which I would have said was impossible, especially on a show that counts women as its target audience. I couldn't imagine women any where taking up for someone who would divulge something so personal on TV, and then try to play innocent for the next several months, but Brandi was able to pull this off. Even by the time the reunion came around and we all knew that she had been lying for months about there ever being a lawsuit, Brandi had her huge fan base on her side. It was nothing short of bewildering to me, but she did it. Last season she came out aggressive. She wasn't sweet or needy. She was after Lisa, and even though she was no more horrible than she had ever been, folks didn't like her anymore. I think it would be easy for Brandi to once again be the girl she once was and I believe there are a lot of folks out there who would forgive her tomorrow and love her again. I will not be one of those people.

• Love 3

I think (hope) Brandi has crossed the point of no return vis-à-vis winning back any fans she might have lost last season. As much of as bad behavior is the sine qua non of this franchise, overt and persistent racism is one of the more egregious and unforgivable transgressions a public figure can make these days. I was going to forego the upcoming season because Joyce was let go; she really read Brandi for filth and did a much more eloquent job of articulating the specifics of Brandi's poor me/victim MO than Adrienne, Paul, or Kyle ever managed to.

I'm watching because of and have high hopes for Eileen. From the footage I've watched of her in interviews and at awards shows, she seems very much a 'pretty/popular' girl ie someone very secure in themselves and accustomed to positive attention, perhaps even to the point of mild narcissism/vanity. I can completely see that being threatening to both Brandi and Yolanda (who I really hope gets some heat; she's largely managed to escaped unscathed and staked out a mind-boggling position as some sort of voice of reason despite fabricating the tale about Ken assaulting her out of whole cloth).

A Kyle/Brandi fistfight would be one of the rare instances in which I would be enthusiastically Team Kyle. I also think it would be a really bad idea on Brandi's part to engage physically with Richards the younger. Kyle was pretty scary when she lunged across the limousine to get into her sister's space.

• Love 2

Joyce was boring and a yapper.  I think Lisa ultimately wanted her fired because she knew Joyce would have been relegated to being Lisa's ally, and Lisa didn't want that yip yapping in her ear all day long about pee pees.

• Love 3
She somehow managed to make herself the victim in the whole Adrienne deal, which I would have said was impossible, especially on a show that counts women as its target audience. I couldn't imagine women any where taking up for someone who would divulge something so personal on TV, and then try to play innocent for the next several months, but Brandi was able to pull this off.

Adrienne really miscalculated that one, didn't she? While Brandi obviously should NOT have repeated the info, I venture to guess that most people wouldn't bat an eyelash had Adrienne just come clean and not forced Bravo to edit out any direct reference to the surrogacy. By leaving the viewers to fill in all the blanks, she also gave Brandi plenty of wiggle room to color people's perceptions of what was going on behind the scenes. At risk of blaming Adrienne, she really should have just sucked it up and not tried to so hard to conceal things. It's a reality show! (Or "reality" show, if you prefer.) She could have easily won that battle against Brandi. Much like Luann and pirategate on RHONY, don't conceal just reveal. For all of Brandi's faults, in this case she was clearly savvier than Adrienne at playing the HW game.

Joyce was boring and a yapper.  I think Lisa ultimately wanted her fired because she knew Joyce would have been relegated to being Lisa's ally, and Lisa didn't want that yip yapping in her ear all day long about pee pees.

I genuinely wonder if Lisa has that kind of sway over the producers. And if she does, I could see that being the case re: Joyce. She clearly never actually liked Joyce in the way that I actually think she and Brandi were friends. I think she only tolerated Joyce because everyone else had turned on her. And if Lisa did have the power to influence casting decisions, I'm more surprised she didn't keep Carlton around. Useless as Carlton was, I think Lisa actually did seem to like her toward the end.

Edited by KFC

I genuinely wonder if Lisa has that kind of sway over the producers. And if she does, I could see that being the case re: Joyce. She clearly never actually liked Joyce in the way that I actually think she and Brandi were friends. I think she only tolerated Joyce because everyone else had turned on her. And if Lisa did have the power to influence casting decisions, I'm more surprised she didn't keep Carlton around. Useless as Carlton was, I think Lisa actually did seem to like her toward the end.

I don't think Lisa was solely responsible for production firing Joyce, but her dislike of Joyce may have influenced their decision. Lisa is RHOBH's biggest asset. She's a fan favorite, not only in terms of RHOBH but for all the franchises, and, in the face of declining ratings for RHOBH and the franchise as a whole, Bravo will want to keep her happy. She also helps production do their job by subtly and surely precipitating drama.

IMO, Lisa is the Teresa Giudice of RHOBH - in terms of how their role has played out among the cast and to the public - not in terms of personality. Her narrative, on and off screen, has followed Teresa's, but she's enacted that narrative more intelligently. Like Teresa, who came onto RHONJ at Dina's behest, Lisa came onto the show at Kyle's behest; like Teresa, Lisa endeared herself to fans and provided light entertainment, mostly separate from the show's drama, for the first season. Like Teresa, she gained a devoted fan following for that very reason after the first season aired, coming out of left field to become the series' unexpected focal point. Like Teresa, Lisa set the stage for her stardom at the first season's close - and proved her indispensability to production. Lisa did it in a far more subtle way than table-flipping, however! She set the actions in motion for drunk Taylor to confront drunk Kim, and for Kim and Kyle to have a blowout fight. Like Teresa, she developed a close relationship with the online gossip mills, and, like Teresa, her supposedly indispensable status for the continuation of the show went to her head. The other women caught on to Lisa's oh-so-very subtle manipulation in Season 4 and almost unilaterally attacked her, resenting not only her conniving but her breakout success.

I used to think that Lisa V had a lot of power, but I no longer feel that way.  I think she was the most fascinating in the beginning, and being an audience favorite didn't hurt.  I've always felt that Kyle had some kind of pull with Andy.  For one thing, she's managed to keep Kim on the show long after Kim had relevance or a storyline.  I think  that her very public threat to quit the show if Kim was fired had some influence on Andy or TPTB.  Last season certainly made me suspect that either Lisa had very little pull or had lost the power she once had.  Just my take on things.

• Love 3

I used to think that Lisa V had a lot of power, but I no longer feel that way. I think she was the most fascinating in the beginning, and being an audience favorite didn't hurt. I've always felt that Kyle had some kind of pull with Andy. For one thing, she's managed to keep Kim on the show long after Kim had relevance or a storyline. I think that her very public threat to quit the show if Kim was fired had some influence on Andy or TPTB. Last season certainly made me suspect that either Lisa had very little pull or had lost the power she once had. Just my take on things.

I think popularity equals pull which equals power. Lisa is extremely popular. To my knowledge she was the first HW to reach 2000 comments on her Bravo blog in one week - and 99% of those comments were positive. She is also Executive Producer of VPR. I think this is the biggest deal, and quite honestly the reason the other gals were pissed last year. Several made comments that Bravo would never really give her the edit they would the others because of her overall role with the network. I think that is true. Keeping Lisa happy to an extent has to come into play. Not that they were worried if she would come back for this season. She had to come back because of her contract. They want her to be happy for future contract negotiations, and they want her to keep making Ken available for the drama because he is almost as big of a draw as she is. They wouldn't want her to get pissy and pull a Teresa on the NJ show and basically step away from any drama. Regarding Kyle, I know she isn't particularly popular, but I do think there is an understanding that she plays an important role on the show. I don't believe the Kim part for a second, unless it was part of Kyle's contract coming on the show. As Lisa has admitted, she had to come back this season because she had a contract. I would be surprised to hear it wasn't the same for Kyle.

Edited by motorcitymom65
I don't believe the Kim part for a second, unless it was part of Kyle's contract coming on the show.

Motorcitymom, I wouldn't make that up about Kyle and Kim -- honestly.  Kyle gave an interview with a writer from a magazine, and it seems to me that the Huffington Post picked it up.  It was right after last season ended, so I can't recall the details.  I know that you like Kyle, which is fine by me, but that interview actually took place.  Looking at it another way, you have to give Kyle credit for her loyalty to her sister and for possibly putting her own neck on the chopping block.

Edited by Lura
  • Love 1

Motorcitymom, I wouldn't make that up about Kyle and Kim -- honestly.  Kim gave an interview with a writer from a magazine, and it seems to me that the Huffington Post picked it up.  It was right after last season ended, so I can't recall the details.  I know that you like Kyle, which is fine by me, but that interview actually took place.  Looking at it another way, you have to give Kyle credit for her loyalty to her sister and for possibly putting her own neck on the chopping block.

...I'm going to back up Lura, I don't recall reading an actual interview with Kim, but the news broke out amongst different blogs and sites about the Kyle/Kim thing.

• Love 1

I also recall hearing this in the media. Kyle has said this for 2 years in a row now, but I don't believe she would leave the franchise if they dumped Kim or demoted her to Friend status because Kyle is also in a long term contract (from what I've heard over the summer). So I don't think Kyle has any more pull than Lisa. I do think the HW's franchise as a whole, not just BH's, will be a thing of the past in 2 years. The whole thing is close to it's expiration date imo and I won't be sad. I'm ready for the next new thing.

• Love 1

Motorcitymom, I wouldn't make that up about Kyle and Kim -- honestly. Kim gave an interview with a writer from a magazine, and it seems to me that the Huffington Post picked it up. It was right after last season ended, so I can't recall the details. I know that you like Kyle, which is fine by me, but that interview actually took place. Looking at it another way, you have to give Kyle credit for her loyalty to her sister and for possibly putting her own neck on the chopping block.

Lura, I didn't mean to insinuate that you would make that up. Sorry if it came out that way. That story has absolutely been around since last year (attached below). I have read it on about a dozen sites. It wasn't an interview with Kim, it was a typical story that originated from ROL. If you do a search, you will find many articles about this, and every single one of them use the same quote from the original ROL article and list them as the source for the information. The same ROL that said Kim was fired, was sure Lisa was quitting last year and Brandi was getting a spin-off two years ago. My favorite part is when they say that Kyle has made it known she will "threaten to quit" if Kim is fired. Not quit, but threaten to quit. These are the small ways ROL gets away with printing shit. I have little doubt Kyle has said she will threaten to quit about a whole host of things, as have the other gals.

I do like Kyle, but not enough to believe she would quit a gig like this - which she loves more than the air she breathes - for the sake of her sister. She is entirely too narcissistic for that.

http://radaronline.com/exclusives/2014/01/bravo-firing-beverly-hills-housewife-kim-richards-sister-kyle-threatens-to-quit/

Edited by motorcitymom65
  • Love 3

msblossom, thanks for the link to the Eileen-Kim blurb.  Since I'm usually too busy to watch daytime TV, I had no idea who Eileen Davidson was or what she looked like.  I wonder if that story was a plant by Kim or Kyle or someone else. Some of the things Eileen was supposed to have said weren't direct quotes.  It seems odd to me that a new HW would stir the pot before the season has even started on TV.  Maybe I'm just looking on things with a jaded eye today!

I think that Kim  is still on the show because she holds her own as a character.  She is not a one of superstar Housewives like Nene and Teresa, but I do think that she has enough of an "it" factor to draw in viewers even when she is doing mundane things like making chicken salad or dealing with her untrained dog.

Re Eileen Davidson, I don't have an opinion regarding who's behind the story about her and Kim having a rocky relationship, but since she was cast, stories have cropped up about her on ROL like that she dates Angelina Jolie's father and also had a death to me in her family, that suggests to me that she may have hired a publicist to take advantage of the RHoBH platform.

I think that Kim  is still on the show because she holds her own as a character.  She is not a one of superstar Housewives like Nene and Teresa, but I do think that she has enough of an "it" factor to draw in viewers even when she is doing mundane things like making chicken salad or dealing with her untrained dog.

Re Eileen Davidson, I don't have an opinion regarding who's behind the story about her and Kim having a rocky relationship, but since she was cast, stories have cropped up about her on ROL like that she dates Angelina Jolie's father and also had a death to me in her family, that suggests to me that she may have hired a publicist to take advantage of the RHoBH platform.

I don't have an issue with Kim Richards on the show. I have always said I liked her quirkiness, and her TH's, for me, are hysterical. I don't think she adds enough to the show to be a full-time HW. She doesn't share enough of her real life to warrant more than Friend status, imo.

I have to laugh because when I first read your comment, quinn, I thought you were saying Kim and Jon Voigt were dating and I thought that was an unlikely paring as I've ever heard. Eileen and Jon Voigt make more sense.

• Love 1

I don't have an issue with Kim Richards on the show. I have always said I liked her quirkiness, and her TH's, for me, are hysterical. I don't think she adds enough to the show to be a full-time HW. She doesn't share enough of her real life to warrant more than Friend status, imo.

I have to laugh because when I first read your comment, quinn, I thought you were saying Kim and Jon Voigt were dating and I thought that was an unlikely paring as I've ever heard. Eileen and Jon Voigt make more sense.

Completely agree.  I like Kim, but in small doses. She just doesn't have enough going on to be a full-time HW. She would be great in a "friend-of" role. 

Actually, it won't surprise me to find this is what happens.  Bravo seems to be doing this thing where they announce the cast, shoot the season, and then announce that someone has been demoted after filming is complete (or almost complete).  They did that with Lu on the NY show, and it was just announced that they did that to 

Porsha on the Atlanta show.  She filmed the whole season and was disappointed to find that in the editing she was demoted.  I could see that happening to Kim, especially if she doesn't have much of a story (again), and they have two new other gals on the show that are more interesting. 

http://www.usmagazine.com/entertainment/news/porsha-williams-says-she-was-blindsided-by-rhoa-demotion-2014110

• Love 1

Completely agree.  I like Kim, but in small doses. She just doesn't have enough going on to be a full-time HW. She would be great in a "friend-of" role. 

Actually, it won't surprise me to find this is what happens.  Bravo seems to be doing this thing where they announce the cast, shoot the season, and then announce that someone has been demoted after filming is complete (or almost complete).  They did that with Lu on the NY show, and it was just announced that they did that to 

Porsha on the Atlanta show.  She filmed the whole season and was disappointed to find that in the editing she was demoted.  I could see that happening to Kim, especially if she doesn't have much of a story (again), and they have two new other gals on the show that are more interesting. 

http://www.usmagazine.com/entertainment/news/porsha-williams-says-she-was-blindsided-by-rhoa-demotion-2014110

The way I see it Kyle and Lisa are the core of the show and the other three returning Housewives Kim, Yolanda and Brandi are primarily there because BH has a weak bench / recruiting system.  To me I don't have an issue with Kim being on the show because of lack of storyline, for me last season no one in the BH cast had anything any more interesting going on in their regular lives than Kim and her dog, it's not like I was riveted by Brandi's book storyline or Lisa building a new restaurant.  So that leaves tuning in for personalities and interpersonal interactions, and my point is that for me Kim holds her own vis a vis the others.

• Love 1

Eileen's relationship with Jon was about 25 years ago when she was still something of an ingénue. I think she did a theatrical/studio movie with him, but her career never took off in that arena or primetime.

Although I thought Kyle's outing of her substance abuse problems was gasp-worthily reprehensible - easily one of the ugliest things I've witnessed on this franchise - I've never liked Kim and find her uncomfortable to watch. As helpful as it can be to contextualize addiction in the framework of illness/genetic predisposition/disease, I think Kim exemplifies that alcoholism can be intermarried with and operate as a byproduct of terrible character. Like many drunks I've encountered, she's a narcissist in the sense that she will stampede to position herself as a victim, takes little responsibility for her poor behavior, and displays a gargantuan sense of entitlement. She's like an overgrown child. During some of her "zany"/light-hearted confessionals last year, I found myself wondering if she had incurred some sort of brain damage as a result of her drinking.

• Love 4

I think Kim exemplifies that alcoholism can be intermarried with and operate as a byproduct of terrible character. Like many drunks I've encountered, she's a narcissist in the sense that she will stampede to position herself as a victim, takes little responsibility for her poor behavior, and displays a gargantuan sense of entitlement. She's like an overgrown child. During some of her "zany"/light-hearted confessionals last year, I found myself wondering if she had incurred some sort of brain damage as a result of her drinking.

I agree with this description of Kim, but in my book Kim's more interesting than Yolanda and less exhausting than Brandi.

• Love 1

Like many drunks I've encountered, she's a narcissist in the sense that she will stampede to position herself as a victim, takes little responsibility for her poor behavior, and displays a gargantuan sense of entitlement. She's like an overgrown child. During some of her "zany"/light-hearted confessionals last year, I found myself wondering if she had incurred some sort of brain damage as a result of her drinking.

I think that what you say about Kim is probably true, but I don't necessarily see narcissism in Kim anymore than I do any of the other HW's.  I have always thought that you had to have a hefty amount of narcissism somewhere in your DNA to be a Reality "star".  I think in Kim's case it just gets blamed on the fact that she is an alcoholic. 

I am hoping that as Kim moves farther away from having to battle her addictions day to day (yes, I realize she will always have to battle them, but hopefully it will get easier) and closer to being comfortable in sobriety, that we will see more of her actual life. I would love to see Kim on the dating scene with someone who is not that Ken guy. I think it would be highly entertaining to watch her navigate this world. I enjoyed watching her at that "has-been" event last year where she interacted with her fans. She just seemed so grateful for the fact that folks still remembered and loved her. I thought she was charming. 

• Love 2

I think that what you say about Kim is probably true, but I don't necessarily see narcissism in Kim anymore than I do any of the other HW's.  I have always thought that you had to have a hefty amount of narcissism somewhere in your DNA to be a Reality "star".  I think in Kim's case it just gets blamed on the fact that she is an alcoholic. 

I am hoping that as Kim moves farther away from having to battle her addictions day to day (yes, I realize she will always have to battle them, but hopefully it will get easier) and closer to being comfortable in sobriety, that we will see more of her actual life. I would love to see Kim on the dating scene with someone who is not that Ken guy. I think it would be highly entertaining to watch her navigate this world. I enjoyed watching her at that "has-been" event last year where she interacted with her fans. She just seemed so grateful for the fact that folks still remembered and loved her. I thought she was charming. 

I agree with this, although I do think hunger for attention among the ladies across the franchise manifests itself in different ways. There are those concerned with their popularity with respect to the audience (Lisa V); those so narcissistic on a pathological/personal social disorder level that it doesn't even occur to them to edit their behavior (Vicki Gunvalson); and those who somehow embody elements of each of the two taxonomies (Teresa G). Kim squarely fits into the second category for me. Watching her interview with Andy post-season 2 while she was in rehab was mind-blowing. Her evasion of responsibility and weird ascription of the damage incurred by her children to Brandi - instead of, you know, the nationally televised footage of their mother literally crawling around on the floor trying to scrape up some drugs from the bathroom floor - had me convinced she was going to be dead within a coupe of years. Glad to see I was wrong on that front.

I agree with this description of Kim, but in my book Kim's more interesting than Yolanda and less exhausting than Brandi.

On the sliding scale of RH sociopathy and awfulness, I have to concur that I don't think Kyle or Kim  even makes it into the most despicable top 5 for the Beverly Hills cast alone. Yolanda, Brandi, Faye, and Taylor have all been worse in their own respective ways.

• Love 2

I've always wondered if Kim is extremely shy, almost awkwardly so.. perhaps even on the autism spectrum a bit?  It could explain why she seems very awkward socially and turned to alcohol amongst other recreational drugs to cope and be social?  Just a theory.

That said, I'm anxious to see when season 5 premieres.. certainly they have filmed enough to edit together some episodes even if they were getting along well the first weeks of filming.

• Love 1

IIRC, season 5 will be airing in November. Though, that's also RHOA, so I'm not sure that they'll start two new seasons in the same month. Of course, if we're hearing about their Amsterdam trip and news of drama, etc is coming out, then the new season should be starting soon.

Edited by DeeplyShallow

IIRC, season 5 will be airing in November. Though, that's also RHOA, so I'm not sure that they'll start two new seasons in the same month. Of course, if we're hearing about their Amsterdam trip and news of drama, etc is coming out, then the new season should be starting soon.

Last year they premiered the BH show the night after they premiered Atlanta, so they have no problem starting the season in the same month. 

I am wondering if we will get BH in November, simply because they are still filming since they got such a late start this year. They were only in Amsterdam last week, which means they still won't have filmed the Season Finale Party yet. It doesn't seem like it takes them as long to edit the BH show as it does some of them, but I think it usually takes them at least a couple of months. I wonder if we won't have to wait until December? 

Interesting article, cooksdelight.  I thought it posed an interesting question.  If all of this season's BH housewives are getting along so well, will the audience be bored (like the BRAVO insider claimed)?  If you can believe it, even Brandi has sworn off from being nasty!  (How long will that last?)  Speaking as only one viewer, I don't care for the show when everyone is at odds with everyone else, but I like a little bit of discord to give us something to snark about.  I really can't imagine an entire season without somebody stepping on somebody else's toes.

Incidentally, the writer spelled Lisa R's last name as both Rina and Rinna.  I've been confused here on the board with the two different spellings.  In Italian, it would be spelled Rina, but which one is it?

Incidentally, the writer spelled Lisa R's last name as both Rina and Rinna.  I've been confused here on the board with the two different spellings.  In Italian, it would be spelled Rina, but which one is it?

IMDB has it as Rinna so I'm guessing that's the way she spells it.

• Love 1

Last year they premiered the BH show the night after they premiered Atlanta, so they have no problem starting the season in the same month. 

I am wondering if we will get BH in November, simply because they are still filming since they got such a late start this year. They were only in Amsterdam last week, which means they still won't have filmed the Season Finale Party yet. It doesn't seem like it takes them as long to edit the BH show as it does some of them, but I think it usually takes them at least a couple of months. I wonder if we won't have to wait until December? 

I think that the Beverly Hills cast-members, mostly being trained actresses (or at least performers of some kind), do a lot of the essential work of making the series watchable  - creating coherent characters and story-lines - during filming through their performances, with production's assistance. In other installments of the franchise (e.g. New Jersey) this work falls upon production, both more heavily during filming and after filming is completed.

• Love 1