Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Cabana

• Start Topic

I totally admire the dedication of vegans/vegetarians, but wonder how they reconcile the poisoning of the environment with fertilizers & pesticides, damming rivers & depleting water tables for irrigation, destroying wildlife habitat and the extinction of species, all to grow the food we eat.  One way or another, all our food consumption kills other species.  :-(

Quite true and in the end we in some form or fashion are also consumed. Animal or plant I am for pragmatic but responsible usage.

My boyfriend likes to say that "organic" means they spray at night. ;-)

• Love 2

Off topic. Has anyone had botox shots in the head? My neuro wants to shoot 32 in mine. I've researched on line and found mixed reviews but know of no one who actually has had them.

for like migraines or vanity?

Migraines, but my head may be wrinkled under my hair...

I haven't heard about Migraine success but I years ago, before they were even approved for wrinkles, I did several rounds over a couple of years on "the angry 11" between the brows. It seemed to help ease tension headaches a bit too but I stopped doing it because my forehead was getting reeeally wrinkled. It seems when you treat one area another area will crinkle up even more to show expression and so on. I gave it up because I didn't want to be chasing and treating wrinkles all around my face.

If you decide to do it, good luck!

I haven't heard about Migraine success but I years ago, before they were even approved for wrinkles, I did several rounds over a couple of years on "the angry 11" between the brows. It seemed to help ease tension headaches a bit too but I stopped doing it because my forehead was getting reeeally wrinkled. It seems when you treat one area another area will crinkle up even more to show expression and so on. I gave it up because I didn't want to be chasing and treating wrinkles all around my face.

If you decide to do it, good luck!

Thanks. They're targeting 32 points around the brain to paralyze the muscles. I'm already getting shots in the eyes and was told if they couldn't stop the migraines by the 2nd anniversary of the concussion, they would be permanent. They have until the end of August.

Thanks. They're targeting 32 points around the brain to paralyze the muscles. I'm already getting shots in the eyes and was told if they couldn't stop the migraines by the 2nd anniversary of the concussion, they would be permanent. They have until the end of August.

I'm so sorry you have to deal with a head injury.

• Love 3

Ugh.  I have read that botox can help with migraines but I don't know too much because I've never have had them....or botox.

Good luck and I hope it helps.....

• Love 2

https://www.viceland.com/en_us/video/pakistan/56f2fb9612ab9482463ba146

Thought some of you might enjoy this, it's apparently a series, but the entire first episode is here.  Another country with Sharai law, Pakistan, having a fashion show.  All alcohol is strictly illegal there (but maybe only to Muslims, it was unclear) but anyway, this western chick is having some with rich Muslims, even though she could be arrested.  With all the talk of Dubai, and with this being about a fashion show there, thought you might enjoy it.

• Love 1

The item was announced, whereupon Jane made her way over to the man named Ibrahim, straddled his lap with her legs in her short red dress, grabbed his head with her hands and arms, and gave him a long kiss and a sexy hug. 

Maybe she should head over to NY and give Sonja with a sexy J some competition...

(edited)

Sorry -- edited to delete post -- I thought Bravo was repeating the series today, but my DVR only caught S1E1 and then skipped to E12.  Apologies!

Edited by AuntiePam

This question's out of nowhere but I'm curious. Has David Beckam screwed around on Victoria?

This gave me a good chuckle for some reason. LOL!! I haven't heard anything, but I am without E News channel now. I don't recall ever hearing anything like that.

• Love 1
That is why they invented PIP.  Hit the remote and you can watch both.

JennyMominFL, doesn't that sound like the perfect solution to watching two or more vicious fights at once?  If it were me, though, it would require some real concentration, or by tomorrow morning I'd think that Erika won the New York race and Bernie Sanders told Rinna where to stuff her mouth!

Good job on tech duty, zoeysmom!

Edited by Lura
  • Love 1

JennyMominFL, doesn't that sound like the perfect solution to watching two or more vicious fights at once?  If it were me, though, it would require some real concentration, or by tomorrow morning I'd think that Erika won the New York race and Bernie Sanders told Rinna where to stuff her mouth!

Good job on tech duty, zoeysmom!

At one point last night, during Trumps speech, I told my son, 2 choices of things to watch, both full of sh**

Off topic. Has anyone had botox shots in the head? My neuro wants to shoot 32 in mine. I've researched on line and found mixed reviews but know of no one who actually has had them.

I don't check this thread much and I know this is a late response. Anyway, Botox is FDA approved for migraine prevention. The injections are into muscles on the forehead, head, back of neck and trapezius (top of shoulders). You may start noticing help in a week or two...maximum benefit around 1.5 months and wears off after about 3 months (however the benefit may indirectly last longer since if you have less migraines then you are using pain killers less which in turn lessens the effect of rebound headaches or analgesic overuse headaches). Basically if you use pain killers more than 2 days a week on average then you are more likely to have more frequent headaches (this only applies to migraineurs). So with Botox you reduce your migraine frequency (ideally, but it also may help the severity and duration) which in turn lessens the amount of pain killers you take so you have less migraine headaches and less "regular headaches" (those daily headaches that you can get in-between the super severe migraines). If the first set of injections don't help, then still consider getting the 2nd set in 3 months. It's very efficacious even in this hard to treat patient population (often they have already failed multiple other preventive medications so they are already refractory patients).

There's no magic 2 year time frame for head injuries and for migraines. More likely they have exhausted all other treatments and if this doesn't work then they don't know what else to try

Good luck and it sounds like you are getting top notch treatment;-)

Edited by Vicky8675309
  • Love 2

I don't check this thread much and I know this is a late response. Anyway, Botox is FDA approved for migraine prevention. The injections are into muscles on the forehead, head, back of neck and trapezius (top of shoulders). You may start noticing help in a week or two...maximum benefit around 1.5 months and wears off after about 3 months (however the benefit may indirectly last longer since if you have less migraines then you are using pain killers less which in turn lessens the effect of rebound headaches or analgesic overuse headaches). Basically if you use pain killers more than 2 days a week on average then you are more likely to have more frequent headaches (this only applies to migraineurs). So with Botox you reduce your migraine frequency (ideally, but it also may help the severity and duration) which in turn lessens the amount of pain killers you take so you have less migraine headaches and less "regular headaches" (those daily headaches that you can get in-between the super severe migraines). If the first set of injections don't help, then still consider getting the 2nd set in 3 months. It's very efficacious even in this hard to treat patient population (often they have already failed multiple other preventive medications so they are already refractory patients).

There's no magic 2 year time frame for head injuries and for migraines. More likely they have exhausted all other treatments and if this doesn't work then they don't know what else to try

Good luck and it sounds like you are getting top notch treatment;-)

Thanks so much. Pros & cons on several forums really confused me, but it doesn't take much. I have four more weeks of depakote infusions and they re-evaluate. At least I'm not like Yolanda and bed ridden for 18 months.....

• Love 2

Thanks so much. Pros & cons on several forums really confused me, but it doesn't take much. I have four more weeks of depakote infusions and they re-evaluate. At least I'm not like Yolanda and bed ridden for 18 months.....

pros when used as directed: excellent efficacy, minimal to no drug to drug interactions, not harmful to liver/kidneys, usually leads to less use of oral medications (eventually you may be able to wean off some daily prevention medications and use less as needed pain killers, if you have any side effects they aren't permanent and wear off, less wrinkles (lol), you just get the injections every 3 months rather than another daily prevention medication, limited potential side effects compared to oral medications for migraine prevention, and more pros...

cons: can be painful (not excessively) getting injections since migraineurs are more sensitive to pain (migraine patients can have allodynia where non-painful stimuli is perceived as painful---like headbands can be painful, pain when brushing hair) and the face has more pain receptors than the top of the thigh for example, if the doctor injects the wrong area or uses too much botox then you may have temporary eyelid/brow drop or neck weakness but these potential side effects are rare and usually dependent on the person administering the botox, and then the usual potential side effects that go with any injection (pain, infection, bleeding, bruising)

If you read the package insert for almost any drug, including botox, they will list a billion (exaggeration) potential side effects but typically botox has less side effects in most people than the typical oral preventative medications like (amitriptyline/elavil, nortriptyline/pamelor, depakote/valproic acid, topamax/topiramate, propranolol/Inderal, magnesium oxide, butterbur, and riboflavin, etc...)

IV depakote is often used to break an intractable migraine (like an as needed pain killer) and oral depakote is taken daily to prevent migraines but I haven't heard of a regimen of scheduled infusions of depakote. Make sure they are periodically checking your liver function while on depakote (and blood cell counts). If you haven't tried the Raskin Protocol of DHE (dihydroergotamine) then you may want to ask your neurologist about it. It is a 3 day admission for IV DHE every 8 hours for 3 days and it kind of works as a reset button (breaks the migraine and keeps you migraine free for a few days while a transition treatment is given to hold you over until the new preventive agent starts to work). For example, a person could get botox then get the Raskin Protocol while waiting for the botox to "kick in". However one has to be able to take medicines that cause blood vessel constriction (i.e., can't have heart problems, etc) if they are to get DHE. Often private practice neurologists don't do Raskin Protocol since many of them just do clinic work and don't do hospital work (so they don't admit patients but sometimes they will have a hospitalist do it....one great thing about academic centers is there are residents and interns to take care of the hospital patients and the attending doc can just come in once a day at a set time to round on the patients...hence Raskin Protocol admission maybe more common at academic centers)

Always talk to your neurologist about anything your read about migraines that interests you since they know you and your health. I just jumped in because this is my niche and passion;-) Unlike a lot in neurology, with migraineurs you can really help them (not all) and improving the quality of someones life is so rewarding!

The potential problems swallowing/breathing with botox is rare with injections for migraines since the front of the neck is not injected (unlike with torticollis or spasmodic dysphonia....botox for those disorders more commonly affects swallowing). Also distant migration of botox to other muscles causing diffuse weakness/paralysis is very rare with injections for migraines. As with any treatment you have to look at potential benefit vs potential harm and it just seems so clear to me that the potential benefit outweighs potential harm but botox for migraine prevention isn't anything new to me and I can understand being worried/anxious about something new for oneself.

oh yeah, sometimes a patient will get a migraine after the injections (if anxiety is a trigger and sometimes it just happens) or the day after...it's ok to take your migraine pain killer (unless your neurologist says otherwise)

also go to the Allergan website (drug company) and see if they have any "rewards". I don't know if they still have it but they had something last year where you got like a 100 or 250$ back (to be applied to future purchases or something)...any little bit helps

Edited by Vicky8675309
  • Love 2

pros when used as directed: excellent efficacy, minimal to no drug to drug interactions, not harmful to liver/kidneys, usually leads to less use of oral medications (eventually you may be able to wean off some daily prevention medications and use less as needed pain killers, if you have any side effects they aren't permanent and wear off, less wrinkles (lol), you just get the injections every 3 months rather than another daily prevention medication, limited potential side effects compared to oral medications for migraine prevention, and more pros...

cons: can be painful (not excessively) getting injections since migraineurs are more sensitive to pain (migraine patients can have allodynia where non-painful stimuli is perceived as painful---like headbands can be painful, pain when brushing hair) and the face has more pain receptors than the top of the thigh for example, if the doctor injects the wrong area or uses too much botox then you may have temporary eyelid/brow drop or neck weakness but these potential side effects are rare and usually dependent on the person administering the botox, and then the usual potential side effects that go with any injection (pain, infection, bleeding, bruising)

If you read the package insert for almost any drug, including botox, they will list a billion (exaggeration) potential side effects but typically botox has less side effects in most people than the typical oral preventative medications like (amitriptyline/elavil, nortriptyline/pamelor, depakote/valproic acid, topamax/topiramate, propranolol/Inderal, magnesium oxide, butterbur, and riboflavin, etc...)

IV depakote is often used to break an intractable migraine (like an as needed pain killer) and oral depakote is taken daily to prevent migraines but I haven't heard of a regimen of scheduled infusions of depakote. Make sure they are periodically checking your liver function while on depakote (and blood cell counts). If you haven't tried the Raskin Protocol of DHE (dihydroergotamine) then you may want to ask your neurologist about it. It is a 3 day admission for IV DHE every 8 hours for 3 days and it kind of works as a reset button (breaks the migraine and keeps you migraine free for a few days while a transition treatment is given to hold you over until the new preventive agent starts to work). For example, a person could get botox then get the Raskin Protocol while waiting for the botox to "kick in". However one has to be able to take medicines that cause blood vessel constriction (i.e., can't have heart problems, etc) if they are to get DHE. Often private practice neurologists don't do Raskin Protocol since many of them just do clinic work and don't do hospital work (so they don't admit patients but sometimes they will have a hospitalist do it....one great thing about academic centers is there are residents and interns to take care of the hospital patients and the attending doc can just come in once a day at a set time to round on the patients...hence Raskin Protocol admission maybe more common at academic centers)

Always talk to your neurologist about anything your read about migraines that interests you since they know you and your health. I just jumped in because this is my niche and passion;-) Unlike a lot in neurology, with migraineurs you can really help them (not all) and improving the quality of someones life is so rewarding!

The potential problems swallowing/breathing with botox is rare with injections for migraines since the front of the neck is not injected (unlike with torticollis or spasmodic dysphonia....botox for those disorders more commonly affects swallowing). Also distant migration of botox to other muscles causing diffuse weakness/paralysis is very rare with injections for migraines. As with any treatment you have to look at potential benefit vs potential harm and it just seems so clear to me that the potential benefit outweighs potential harm but botox for migraine prevention isn't anything new to me and I can understand being worried/anxious about something new for oneself.

oh yeah, sometimes a patient will get a migraine after the injections (if anxiety is a trigger and sometimes it just happens) or the day after...it's ok to take your migraine pain killer (unless your neurologist says otherwise)

also go to the Allergan website (drug company) and see if they have any "rewards". I don't know if they still have it but they had something last year where you got like a 100 or 250$ back (to be applied to future purchases or something)...any little bit helps

I appreciate all the advice and reason. The migraine forums are mostly hyperbole. The procedure was either the most pain felt in their entire lives or it cured them in days. The infusions are depakote but the name was changed to depcon. You may know it by that. Now I feel better with another alternative, so forward! Thanks.

• Love 1

Is Latuda right for anyone? There's a scary list of side effects listed in their commercial.

Is Latuda right for anyone? There's a scary list of side effects listed in their commercial.

Sorry, I am unfamiliar with that medication. As I am sure you know, the list of side effects are actually potential side effects. Send me a PM if you want me to look it up on UpToDate and I can copy/paste what it says about Latuda in a PM to you

• Love 1

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for being patient with the forum upgrade!! If y'all have any questions you can send a PM or I suppose just ask in here for a bit. At some point I'd say lets not fill up our small talk with forum questions but while everyone is getting used to it it's fine. Yay new shiny forums!! We have @ mentions now (just type the @ symbol and start typing a user name and you'll get a list of names to pick from) and quoting is easier now too. You can highlight part of a post and a little bubble saying "quote this" will pop up and boom... selective quotes. 

• Love 5

I'm having issues with navigation problems, notification problems,. Seems everything is taking 5-6 clicks to get where I want to go.  Nice look to the forum and the mobile site is much better but dang one would think make it easier not harder. Geeze, they don't even alphabetize your followed forums, I was told they are working on it.

Makes it not so enjoyable.

At least it isn't as fucked up as the Frontier Communications /Verizon switch. Can't even stream Bravo nor AMC on my computer with Frontier.

• Love 1
47 minutes ago, Giselle said:

I was told they are working on it.

You were told right.

These forums are gigantic and it took longer than expected to get some of the migration down so they went live while the bots were still doing a bunch of back end work so as to not have them down another day. That's why, for example, any posts prior to today that quote a post look funny (like, there's no quote) and some spoilers aren't tagged. They're only like that because the bots haven't gotten to them yet.

As for the following stuff issue. Basically all I can say is what's been said. It's being worked on. Clearly the idea wasn't to make things more complicated, and until the wee hours of last night when some things broke the intent was to have the home page fully customizable, so that you'd be able to put the forums you "follow" on the home page and only see the shows you follow as your homepage of the forums. That's still being worked on. It is the intention as far as I know. Once that is fixed the whole following thing should be rendered irrelevant because everything will just be on the main page however you have it set up. So, please be patient. They've only been "live" for a few hours and the people behind the scenes are working on getting everything to how it should be as fast as they can.   

• Love 8

Hi Lisin, Just as I went to post my response to you yesterday the forum went down for repairs.  I was and am going to say "thank you" to you and the others at PTV for your hard work and efforts. I appreciate the playground upgrade and realize that there will always be a few issues to be resolved stuff cropping up as the platform is used, old beloved features that need to be reincorporated in a new way and a learning curve. Just glad to have this place back up and running.

Thank you again, you make it fun!

• Love 7

I know what goes into changing to a new format, but God I hate this one. I miss the notification symbols so that I know a topic has been updated. The time stamps all say "21 hours ago" there is nothing telling me when something is new....and the previously mentioned non-alphabetization of my shows I watch.

Anyhow, I know there are still tweaks to be made. On the positive side, it is a lot easier to quote or bold, italicize, etc. And posting photos is easier, it appears. I miss the colors, it's so black/white/gray.

• Love 7

I miss sorting by "last updated"  (that way I can have my "followed content" window behind my work window & just click on it to go to my happy place during the course of the day without too much clicking!)

• Love 4

I miss some features of the old board too, especially the colors.  I feel like I am operating in 'safe mode' LOL!

I like the shows I am following to be in alphabetical order, too.   Changing technology always takes some adjustment and mourning over the familiar that is gone forever.  

• Love 2
2 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

I know what goes into changing to a new format, but God I hate this one. I miss the notification symbols so that I know a topic has been updated. The time stamps all say "21 hours ago" there is nothing telling me when something is new....and the previously mentioned non-alphabetization of my shows I watch.

Anyhow, I know there are still tweaks to be made. On the positive side, it is a lot easier to quote or bold, italicize, etc. And posting photos is easier, it appears. I miss the colors, it's so black/white/gray.

I thought it was just me!  I liked it when there was the last post listed with the time and day, just clicked on it...so much easier. :(

• Love 3
1 hour ago, wings707 said:

Changing technology always takes some adjustment and mourning over the familiar that is gone forever.  

I work in Information Technology and that is indeed a fact. However, I also miss the same things all you guys listed!! In time we will get used to it. Especially once the bugs are tweaked. Hopefully? ; )

• Love 2

Have you guys customized your homepages yet? Doing that basically turns the homepage into the old "My Shows" button... it just bolds forums with new content. The only current glitch is that since the Real Housewives shows are nested in a way unlike any other forum for whatever reason the system doesn't know there's a new post, but it's the RH shows, you can basically assume there's always at least one new post! 

They're also of course working on getting the shows your following to be sortable into alphabetical order and all that stuff. 

• Love 3

I have 7 pages of forums I follow, so customizing my home page isn't that helpful until something somewhere sorts by last update/new content time.  I tend to wait for all the bugs to be worked out before disrupting my life, time and patience trying to adapt to new stuff (besides, these old eyes are really tired just trying to read all those crazy instructions!).  Like Scarlett says, "I'll think about it tomorrow, when I can stand it".  :-)

• Love 5
On 4/28/2016 at 2:18 PM, wings707 said:

I miss some features of the old board too, especially the colors.  I feel like I am operating in 'safe mode' LOL!

Me, too. I appreciate all the effort and work that went into the change, but it's just not working for me at all  -- visually cluttered and headache inducing after reading for more than fifteen minutes.  

Edited by film noire
  • Love 3
17 hours ago, talula said:

Happy the in-between advertising posts are gone!  Love the new format and look...thanks PT.

The advertising posts are what keeps the site afloat, the revenue needed to operate. Having built a site for a former employer, this much I know. :)

I don't like the page that comes up when you log on.  It looks like the site is down.  I will get used to all of this.  A friend of mine tried to register and gave up, she kept saying it is down.  I get past the first page by clicking on my notifications but if you don't have any, you have no access. 

Question: Something simple that I'm probably missing. When you comment and enter you (at least I am) are taken to the end of the thread and lose your place where you were reading. For now I just try to remember at what time the last post was I read and scroll back to that place but with the new format its really wonky to do that. What am I doing wrong? How can I not lose my reading place as I post?

Edited by Almost 3000
  • Love 1
11 minutes ago, wings707 said:

I think that is just the way it is.  I thought the old site did that too.  

Thx, its just more cumbersome now because the way the recent time posts are different and I used to just go to My Content and could find where I was. Being on the west coast means I'm usually behind anyway and with the upgrade now if I post I get totally lost as to where I was.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, wings707 said:

I think that is just the way it is.  I thought the old site did that too.  

No, with the old format, you could hit "quote" on a post and keep reading until you hit a little box that was on the right side, then it took you to the bottom of the page to type your response/post. Now, when you hit "quote" on a post, it automatically takes you to the bottom of the page.

• Love 3