Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Cup O' Joe

Dagny

Please remember that the Small Talk thread does not allow for the conversations that violate the Primetimer Politics Rule.

• Start Topic

9 hours ago, oakville said:

Is there anything I can do to cheer you up? I could write an extra snarky post about Morning Joe tomorrow for you. 🙂

I'm counting on you! Bless you and all others for the concern for all of us down here.

Last night the plumbing system shook again, indicating some water pressure and we got a trickle of reddish water...like diluted fruit punch! What the hell? Tried to flush the toilet and it filled about an inch with red water. Ick. Back to the manual snow-filling of  the tank. Last evening there was another massive apt fire...not far from us...a newish place...the hydrants were frozen so they had to bring at least 6 water trucks and FD's from all over to help fight it. It collapsed. 50 more people now homeless. (Red Cross, I hope, is helping.) The water dept is finally opening bulk water filling stations...people have to drive several miles, wait in the cold for however long, get their max 5 gallons, take it home and boil it before use...that's easy. There has been no word about the National Guard. Guess they're still up in DC, sleeping in the parking garage. It's incredible that we have 3 major military bases and not one mention of how they might help the citizens. In fact, they are closed to retirees, etc. Can't access our medical providers and the pharmacies have been shut there. 

I just ran the kitchen faucet...water looks clear! But no pressure. Hope it comes back soon. We need showers and shampoos! (My husband would normally shower at the gym...but you guessed: closed.) We have a friend in Kosovo, always complaining about his "brutal" country. I kind of get it.

Let's hope things change soon! I think the temp should hit the 40's today! 22 now and no new snow.

Snark on!

• Love 4

I bet the reddish color is what we call "Red Pipe" where I live.   Yes, the city utility has a fancier name for rust from old water mains, and are trying to replace them as fast as they can.     Or it's dirt stirred up the same way, combined with rust.     Hope every house has water, and power as soon as possible.   

• Love 4
3 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Or it's dirt stirred up the same way, combined with rust. 

Good points. We just, in the last year, got hooked into a massive brand new storage tank about a mile away...filled with water from a huge new pipeline that travels about 150 miles to get here. Could be some rusty joints/pipes mixed with the horrible lime deposits. This is the biggest strain that's been put on the new system. Good news! The pressure is back and water is clear, except for the lime grit, like chalk floating on it...I can filter it out with a cloth or coffee filter. Still boiling it but we're getting there! Water is still out in much of the city but only about 100 homes w/o power. The temp is 44 and the sun is shining! The gym opened! I went to Target to kill time and no crowds/no line and no groceries! Worse than the pandemic panic. Like a new store, waiting for product to put out! I wandered over to dairy and couldn't believe it: Milk! The manager told me they just put it out and would be gone in an hour. Got a gallon and left. I'm in need of anything fresh but will wait til Mon or so...hopefully regular groceries will be restocked and those in greater need can get what they need. They have started various feeding stations and the food bank is to reopen soon.

Thanks to all for bearing my rants! I started the week blow drying frozen pipes and ended it blow drying my hair!

Now back to our regularly scheduled snark. You guys are great!

• Love 8

Not political, not MJ related or tv related.  But.  I see where Jeff Bezos is interested in buying The Washington Football Team....formerly The Redskins.  I am thrilled to hear this....since I loathe Dan Snyder (the current hapless owner).  So because I am excited (and probably many TWFT fans are, too) - it will likely never happen.  Bezos seems to be able to keep his hands of The Washington Post and let his reporters do their jobs; hopefully he would do the same with a professional football team.  Mr. Kemper is doing cheers from up above.  If we had not retired to North Carolina and stayed in the DC area, we would probably have finally gotten seasons tickets.  The waiting list was years-long at one time.

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, Kemper said:

Bezos seems to be able to keep his hands of The Washington Post and let his reporters do their jobs; hopefully he would do the same with a professional football team. 

Bezos allows the Washington Post to let Joe Scarborough be an op ed columnist. 🙂

• LOL 2
1 hour ago, Kemper said:

Not political, not MJ related or tv related.  But.  I see where Jeff Bezos is interested in buying The Washington Football Team....formerly The Redskins.  I am thrilled to hear this....since I loathe Dan Snyder (the current hapless owner).  So because I am excited (and probably many TWFT fans are, too) - it will likely never happen.  Bezos seems to be able to keep his hands of The Washington Post and let his reporters do their jobs; hopefully he would do the same with a professional football team.  Mr. Kemper is doing cheers from up above.  If we had not retired to North Carolina and stayed in the DC area, we would probably have finally gotten seasons tickets.  The waiting list was years-long at one time.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed, too.  My beloved What The Fuck* team hasn't been the same since Snyder took over.   

*Every time I see WFT for Washington Football Team, in my mind I switch the letters and see WTF.     

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
16 minutes ago, oakville said:

Joe is too elitist

Wow. That was a moving clip, Oakville. My heart aches for those victims. Any victim of such vicious behavior, from those small businesses, to big corporations, to the foundations of our democracy.

To keep with Joe's elitist image, his wife posted pictures of him soaking in his fancy tub yesterday.😮

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, plumbago blues said:

To keep with Joe's elitist image, his wife posted pictures of him soaking in his fancy tub yesterday.😮

If you don't laugh at this stuff, you cry.  Self-awareness is not a human trait for The Twins.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, oakville said:

Friday's Morning Joe ratings fell to 102 on the top 150 list.

Nice! Keep yelling, Joe and keep messing up the teleprompter, Mika: We know you can go lower! (Maybe double up on that KYV bullshit to hasten your demise.)

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

I had a really weird dream this week. I was a reporter in DC conducting an off the record interview with a senator. We were discussing a really wonky aspect of the Green New Deal. I have a degree in political science, so that's not the weird part.

The weird part is that the interview happened in a bar and we were drinking whiskey in the early morning while Morning Joe was on the TV in the background. 

I don't even watch the show any more and the guy haunts my dreams and drives me to day drink.

• LOL 8
On 3/6/2021 at 3:01 AM, xaxat said:

I had a really weird dream this week. I was a reporter in DC conducting an off the record interview with a senator. We were discussing a really wonky aspect of the Green New Deal. I have a degree in political science, so that's not the weird part.

The weird part is that the interview happened in a bar and we were drinking whiskey in the early morning while Morning Joe was on the TV in the background. 

I don't even watch the show any more and the guy haunts my dreams and drives me to day drink.

xaxat, I wanna know what you take before going to sleep to give you glamorous badass West Wing-style dreams. Mine are all about missing deadlines, being late for shit, and being chased through the house by murderous clowns #dreamenvy

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, Lowcountry snark said:

Joe Scarborough + Bill Mahr are two shitty tastes that taste shitty together.  That interview was terrible.  The two most punchable faces and personalities in the world.
I wonder how turned on Mika got when bad boy Joe said "Fuck" on cable TV?

It's remarkable to see how much Joe's views on politics has changed since his tv show started.

I used to watch Mahr's show , Politically Incorrect before it was cancelled. He had many guests with different view points which I thought was interesting to watch.

Morning Joe used to have a similar formula & had guests from different political parties & walks of life discussing the issues of the day.

There are many days now that the show is unwatchable.

I do wonder how loyal viewers will remain to Joe & his sycophants.

Is the fragmentation of cable news networks into ideological silos permanent ?

• Love 2
2 hours ago, oakville said:

It's remarkable to see how much Joe's views on politics has changed since his tv show started.

I used to watch Mahr's show , Politically Incorrect before it was cancelled. He had many guests with different view points which I thought was interesting to watch.

Morning Joe used to have a similar formula & had guests from different political parties & walks of life discussing the issues of the day.

There are many days now that the show is unwatchable.

I do wonder how loyal viewers will remain to Joe & his sycophants.

Is the fragmentation of cable news networks into ideological silos permanent ?

I used to watch Politically Incorrect, too.  And when Don Imus was fired over his sexist, racist comments...two people in the news defended his right to comment....Bill Mahr and Joe Scarborough.  This was, of course, before Joe was the hand-picked successor.

I do think that Joe is horrified by what his Party has become and wants no part of it.  If Trump had not insulted Meeka; if The Twins were still allowed access to Trump...I wonder how Joe would sound right now.  If Trump had not gone to such dark places...if Meeka could have partnered with Ivanka...  As the Wicked Witch pronounced:  what a world, what a world.

Morning Joe is pure entertainment now.  Maybe that is why we still check-in to see what Meeka is wearing, are most of the guests still sycophants, and is Preacher Fog-Horn Leg-Horn Joe ranting.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, Kemper said:

I used to watch Politically Incorrect, too.  And when Don Imus was fired over his sexist, racist comments...two people in the news defended his right to comment....Bill Mahr and Joe Scarborough.  This was, of course, before Joe was the hand-picked successor.

I do think that Joe is horrified by what his Party has become and wants no part of it.  If Trump had not insulted Meeka; if The Twins were still allowed access to Trump...I wonder how Joe would sound right now.  If Trump had not gone to such dark places...if Meeka could have partnered with Ivanka...  As the Wicked Witch pronounced:  what a world, what a world.

Morning Joe is pure entertainment now.  Maybe that is why we still check-in to see what Meeka is wearing, are most of the guests still sycophants, and is Preacher Fog-Horn Leg-Horn Joe ranting.

I forgot about Joe & Bill defending Don Imus !

IIRC, Joe & Mika were surprised that Trump was elected President & blamed the "MSM media" for not taking Trump & "white blue collar voters in swing states seriously ".

Mika & Joe decided to use their personal relationship with Trump to become the inside sources during the Trump transition. Mika & Joe were both on the Apprentice & Joe was a non paying guest at Mar a  Largo for years prior to Trump running for President . 

Joe made several recommendations to Trump for his cabinet. Richard Haas for Secretary of State. Harold Ford Jr for Secretary of whatever.

Mika recommended Dina Powell for the cabinet & Trump picked her for Deputy NSC.

MSNBC ran ads bragging about Joe's inside scoops during the transition.

Trump was inaugurated & Sean Spicer ranted about crowd size at the inauguration.

Mika & Joe were invited to the White House for lunch in late January 2017.

Joe told Trump that he was foolish to complain about crowd sizes at his inauguration.

Trump offered to marry Mika & Joe at the White House. At the time, Mika & Joe were not engaged but there was speculation about their relationship.

Joe started criticizing Trump's "Muslim travel ban " restrictions etc & demanded that Trump fire Stephen Miller.

Trump refused to fire Miller.

Trump got mad & threatened to disclose Mika & Joe's affair to Fox News . Jared Kirshner had to mediate the dispute between Mika, Joe & President Trump.

Joe refused to apologize to Trump .

Mika freaked out & called Roger Ailes to complain about her kids being damaged about her affair becoming public knowledge.

Mika was still negotiating her divorce settlement with her ex husband & was worried about having her kids being subjected to media inquiries.

Ailes agreed to stop publishing the story that would appear in the NY Post & Joe provided  scoop to the NY Post about MSNBC firing Alec Baldwin as a peace offering.

Mika & Joe continued to criticize Trump's behavior' s President  & Trump attacked Mika for her plastic surgery in June 2017.

Joe realized that his ratings were increasing as a result of his feud with Trump , so he kept criticizing Trump.

Mika & Joe were happy to get their contract renewed in 2018 which allowed them to work from their new home in Florida.

Mika & Joe save millions in taxes per year by moving to Florida & have a much easier job by not having to do any research on the topics they cover. The show doesn't book any guests that would contradict Mika & Joe's latest talking points. It's shocking for me to see the decline in quality of the discussions on the show since 2018.  

Mika & Joe should should apologize to viewers for being Trump sycophants during the 2016 GOP primary.

I agree with you that Morning Joe has become an entertainment show.

I watch CNBC now in the morning & they do professional interviews  with politicians & business leaders.

I recap Morning Joe for entertainment purposes , but I am sad that the show rarely provides any useful information.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Excellent synopsis, oakville. You nailed it!

Even more than how they assisted 45's election, the insufferable aspect for me was the overly casual name dropping following the election. Every morning it was Jared this and that and Ivanka this, that and the other. Joe is way too big a lunk to pull off "the cat who drank the cream" but that's who he was. And Mika, I can't describe her without spiking my blood pressure.

And then, THEN, 45 who had been playing them all along dropped them like a dollar watch. On the national stage. Game recognized game and they never saw it coming and it was spectacular.

I have no words left other than repeating "excellent synopsis."

ETA: That's the last time there was chatter about Act II of friend of the show Harold Ford's government career. He rebounded with another TH gig (mentioned when we discussed him here recently) but he seems stalled because his name was on no one's lips in this administration. 

Edited by suomi
  • Love 4
35 minutes ago, oakville said:

Morning Joe falls to 3rd place in key demographic 18-49. Show now ranked 110th with 1.1 million viewers.

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-top-150-tuesday-cable-originals-network-finals-3-23-2021.html

So MJ gets better ratings than Deadline White House (with Nicole W)?  Where is the humanity?  Is it because Nicole's show starts at 4:00? I thought her show got really good ratings.  However, it is late and I may not be comprehending the list(s), I have a litterbox to scoop, had a gin-and-tonic Happy Hour FaceTime with my best friend and am looking forward to bed, a book, Trever Noah and Barney curled up next to me.  Barney is a cat.  His name is not Simon, the Duke from Bridgerton.  Although that would be a great name for a cat.  

• LOL 6
13 hours ago, Kemper said:

So MJ gets better ratings than Deadline White House (with Nicole W)?  Where is the humanity?  Is it because Nicole's show starts at 4:00? I thought her show got really good ratings.  However, it is late and I may not be comprehending the list(s), I have a litterbox to scoop, had a gin-and-tonic Happy Hour FaceTime with my best friend and am looking forward to bed, a book, Trever Noah and Barney curled up next to me.  Barney is a cat.  His name is not Simon, the Duke from Bridgerton.  Although that would be a great name for a cat.  

it's probably because Nicolle has been on vacation. Kemper you need to get a dog and name him Simon, Duke of Hastings, and then when you go for a walk in the park you can shout "your grace! your grace!"

Edited by neona
"grace" not "lordship" haha
  • LOL 4

Neona...best laugh I have had all day!  I can start calling Barney “Your Grace” when he gets too haughty.  You know, like cats do.

He will not walk on a hooked rug (he is fearful); howls (the human equivalent of shrieking) if he is out on the screened porch and the temp is below 70; he gets on his hind legs and peers in the door while howling...I have put these hysterical pics on my Facebook page.  He is an embarrassment to cats everywhere.

Edited by Kemper
spelling error
  • LOL 4

Joe may just be burned out...early hours, aging, lifestyle, Covid, ranting, etc.  Meeka either cannot do the job or doesn't care about doing the job.  Neither of them really cares now that they are established as a Brand; they rely on the "regulars" to do the heavy lifting.  And as someone stated on another MJ thread, those guests (other than maybe Heilemann) have become wallpaper.

Plumbago! You are so right!  They they cannot seem to pivot away from Trump.  They continue to rely on the easy things...voter suppression, Georgia!, and other critical news; but they don't know how to deliver it as real, hard news.  The must have the Trump angle inserted.  To be fair, all the networks are doing this right now.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Kemper said:

Neither of them really cares now that they are established as a Brand; they rely on the "regulars" to do the heavy lifting.

Very true but I wonder how long their "Brand" can stay viable when they put such little effort into it. Granted, their audience here is prone to snarking and finding fault (because it's just so damn easy) but I think the gradual ratings drop may reflect real disappointment with and fatigue from their schtick from real Nielson (or who ever rates this stuff today) viewers. Way back 40 years ago in college we learned about brand maintenance...the keys were keeping it relevant and keeping it fresh...make your customer want to come back frequently and be surprised. Here we come back, see and hear the same old thing, and click away. (A treasure hunting trip to Costco it isn't.) Brand extension is a thing but they're doing it wrong by going in separate directions...KYV and a rock band have zero to do with the Brand. Just shows how bored they are with their bread and butter show. As are we.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Kemper said:

Joe may just be burned out...early hours, aging, lifestyle, Covid, ranting, etc.  Meeka either cannot do the job or doesn't care about doing the job.  Neither of them really cares now that they are established as a Brand; they rely on the "regulars" to do the heavy lifting.  And as someone stated on another MJ thread, those guests (other than maybe Heilemann) have become wallpaper.

Plumbago! You are so right!  They they cannot seem to pivot away from Trump.  They continue to rely on the easy things...voter suppression, Georgia!, and other critical news; but they don't know how to deliver it as real, hard news.  The must have the Trump angle inserted.  To be fair, all the networks are doing this right now.

How much wine will I need to drink in order to recap Thursday & Friday's shows?

Mika used to be much more involved in the show. They used to discuss a variety of topics like raising children, economics, foreign affairs, new companies.

Andrew Ross Sorkin, Erin Burnett , Brian Sullivan used to have a half an hour on Morning Joe to discuss economic & financial issues on the show.

Mika's decline surprises me more than Joe's. She used to be able to read the TelePrompter relatively effectively & did participate in the interviews.

Willie is much more alive on his Sunday show. He does good interviews with celebrities.

Morning Joe doesn't work with the 8 Brady Bunch boxes & Zoom calls.  They need to be sitting around a socially distanced table & have a spontaneous conversation.

I watch CNBC in the morning now. Joe Kernan, Becky Quick & Andrew Ross Sorkin have great chemistry & interview politicians from both parties with respect.

Mika & Joe decided to put all their professional eggs in the Trump Presidency. It worked for a few years & they had record ratings & were able to get the 3 year contract renewal in 2018. I doubt MSNBC would allow other hosts to set up a breakfast nook studio before the pandemic. 

• Love 3
34 minutes ago, plumbago blues said:

Very true but I wonder how long their "Brand" can stay viable when they put such little effort into it. Granted, their audience here is prone to snarking and finding fault (because it's just so damn easy) but I think the gradual ratings drop may reflect real disappointment with and fatigue from their schtick from real Nielson (or who ever rates this stuff today) viewers. Way back 40 years ago in college we learned about brand maintenance...the keys were keeping it relevant and keeping it fresh...make your customer want to come back frequently and be surprised. Here we come back, see and hear the same old thing, and click away. (A treasure hunting trip to Costco it isn't.) Brand extension is a thing but they're doing it wrong by going in separate directions...KYV and a rock band have zero to do with the Brand. Just shows how bored they are with their bread and butter show. As are we.

Agreed. I suspect that show's ratings are being kept afloat by people that keep their TV's on to MSNBC as background noise especially with people working from home during Covid. If you look at the network's ratings throughout the day, they are around 1 million viewers.

My focus is on the 18-49 viewers, because the network can charge advertisers more for those viewers.

• Love 4

Joe's not totally off base to be ranting against the anti science anti vaxxers 

We've now gotten both our COVID vaccines. But we're still following the CDC guidelines and I'm particularly getting sick of the COVID deniers. 

Edited by tres bien
  • Love 5
34 minutes ago, tres bien said:

Joe's not totally off base to be ranting against the anti science anti vaxxers 

We've now gotten both our COVID vaccines. But we're still following the CDC guidelines and I'm particularly getting sick of the COVID deniers. 

That's great news !

Unfortunately, I won't be eligible to get the vaccine for a few months. So far, only residents older than 70 are eligible for a vaccine in Canada. There are exceptions for health care professionals & first responders.

Canada is far behind the USA in obtaining & administering vaccines.

• Useful 2

Today is a red letter day for me!  I am having three friends over for coffee!  These friends are remnants of my former “coffee group”; which sadly has winnowed down due to age and Covid.  But we are going to sit in my sunroom and catch up! In person!  We are all over 74; all had our vaccines, all ready to try and go forward with our lives.  We will be “socially” distanced; will wear our individual masks when not talking or sipping. But this is the light at the end of the tunnel that has driven all of us for this past year-and-a-half.

Conversation today will revolve around what is happening in Georgia, the horrific images coming out of the Floyd trial, etc.  Plus what is going on with all our families; and local gossip. 

And I hope that all of us on this Board, who in small ways have helped keep each other laughing and chatting this past year, are starting to come out of this battle ready to pick up the pieces and start our new normal. 

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Kemper said:

Today is a red letter day for me!

Congrats! You deserve every ounce of joy! What a year. My husband had his 2nd vax yesterday and I'll get my 2nd next Tuesday. Plan on waiting a few weeks and then will arrange for some long overdue (in my mind, not his) house maintenance: 2 windows (just little "eyebrow" type in the kitchen) need replaced and I'm planning to get new flooring for all the bedrooms. I have been hesitant to start any project this last year after seeing the workers re-doing neighbors' homes: they all start off with masks but once out of sight of the homeowners the masks come off: watching them hanging out of windows and working inside homes without them just scared me. I'll still demand masks but feel a little safer knowing we've been vaxed. Our closest friends have immunocompromised young adult children and are playing it safe so no socializing yet. But my yard is full of blue bonnets and all of my perennials (yes, even my namesake blue plumbagos!) made it through the freeze. Only my border of rosemary and my giant palm tree died...both a bitch to remove but I was tired of them anyway. I'm keeping busy working in the yard, dreaming of happy hour with friends!

• Love 4

Sadly, today will be the last day that I will be playing Pickleball & Badminton for the next month . The province of Ontario is going into the third lock down because our hospitals have over 400 people in ICU's with Covid. We had 2,500 cases today which is high for a population of 14.5 million.

Restaurants, Hair Salons, Gyms &  Fitness Clubs will close for a month.

It's very frustrating, because Canada is supposed to have a good healthcare system but it's not set up to deal with Covid.

The vaccination process is very slow here.  The USA sent us Astra Zeneca vaccines that the Health Advisory Council jut told people not to take because of bloodclots.

5 hours ago, oakville said:

The vaccination process is very slow here.  The USA sent us Astra Zeneca vaccines that the Health Advisory Council jut told people not to take because of bloodclots.

I'm sad for you, Oakville. How frustrating. It's been a year of one step forward, 3 steps back. Hang in there. I hope that at least the sun is shining and the temps are rising. Spring itself should bring you a little joy.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, oakville said:

Sadly, today will be the last day that I will be playing Pickleball & Badminton for the next month . The province of Ontario is going into the third lock down because our hospitals have over 400 people in ICU's with Covid. We had 2,500 cases today which is high for a population of 14.5 million.

Restaurants, Hair Salons, Gyms &  Fitness Clubs will close for a month.

It's very frustrating, because Canada is supposed to have a good healthcare system but it's not set up to deal with Covid.

Oakville, it is very slow going in so many places. And frustrating.  But we are looking much better than we were a year ago. If we can just keep our heads down and keep going.

You will play pickleball (don’t know what this is but it sounds fun) and badminton again! 

• Love 3
31 minutes ago, Lowcountry snark said:

Soccer analyst and frequent guest on Morning Joe Roger Bennett explicates a Geico commercial:

Wow. That's a guy with a lot of free time. Mika needs to hire him to break down all aspects of popular culture so she'd understand what all the rest of us know. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 1

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/rege-jean-page-bridgerton-season-2-1234942827/

Omg noooooooooooo......! Kemper. Our deepest condolences. Should we send emergency supplies of gin?

I wonder what season 2 will be like? i never actually read the books

P.S. i love the vaccine stories 🙂 gonna be a while for me but mostly i'm stressing to get my parents vaxxed and it's a nightmare admin-wise gaaaah. But I'm so happy we are all getting there, step by step... also oakville pickleball is literally the most adorable name for a sport i've ever heard heh

• Love 1
(edited)
49 minutes ago, neona said:

P.S. i love the vaccine stories 🙂 gonna be a while for me but mostly i'm stressing to get my parents vaxxed and it's a nightmare admin-wise gaaaah. But I'm so happy we are all getting there, step by step... also oakville pickleball is literally the most adorable name for a sport i've ever heard heh

Edited by oakville
Pickleball is fun !
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

i wasn't trolling you, oakville, this genuinely looks fun, i had just never heard of it. here's to hoping you get to see your friends again soon... 

tbh this last stretch just feels interminable....like even longer than the first few months. is it just me? my parents live far away, they're not vaxxed yet and already they act like this is all over and are going out and stuff and tbh it's stressful as fuck.... all i want is for everyone i know to reach that finish line ok and healthy 

• Love 3