Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Cup O' Joe

Dagny

Please remember that the Small Talk thread does not allow for the conversations that violate the Primetimer Politics Rule.

• Start Topic

10 hours ago, Kemper said:

If he can get his humor front and center again, maybe he could be on Morning Joe as a new regular. 

Hmmm. Interesting premise. Wonder what the duo would think about that, after their ill-fated attempts to resurrect Halperin? I also wonder if Joe would be a little chafed having a real comedian-turned-politician upstaging him...his "humor" is nothing compared to Al's. Awkward but fun to watch! Hell, maybe he'd replace them when they get pushed over to Peacock! Fresh blood welcomed on that tired show.

• Love 3

Suomi...you were in my head! Actually, Brian Williams is the only host I can think of who is quick-witted and can make subtle jokes.  I like all the hosts (with maybe one or two exceptions) but none of them can really loosen up when the time calls for it except maybe Nicole Wallace.  Never thought I would type that! Yes, I know humor is not a requirement for a news person; nor should it be.  But at times it could sure help.  

• Love 6

Kemper, I've always liked Brian Williams.  I  think he got a bad rap. I've always thought that he just conflated his experiences in Iraq - perhaps due to being scared about being in a war zone.

He just seems like a genuinely nice person, and he is really funny.  I  loved this SNL sketch where he busted on his own ego:

Edited by nittany cougar
  • LOL 5

Nittany Cougar....I wish Brian Williams had gotten the 7:00 hour; but maybe the 11:00 slot allows him the leeway for his natural wit to shine.  And he is still the best for Breaking News.

• Love 7

BriWi is a careful enunciator, he rarely trips over his own tongue and his cadence works for me as well.

I don't think I have ever said or thought "What did he say, what was that?"

He is the best thing going, for my wants and needs. He is my go-to, whatever is happening. 

• Love 7

My niece is/was an on-air newscaster in a large market.  Her university sent students from their Communications/Journalism classes to internships for the different stations in the DC market.  Apparently Andrea Mitchell was a dragon to intern for. Lol. 

But.  Andrea M has been on the front lines, doing her job, for decades.  In times where there were not many women on the job.  So I guess she earned the right to hold a young’uns feet to the fire.  

• Love 3

Re: Halperin: I think he tried to get other jobs...from a Feb 27, 2020 article on The Cut:

"On the career front, Halperin says he’s having a hard time, telling Mother Jones he has applied to Target and restaurants in a bid to get health insurance for his son, but doesn’t want to work in media again. Still, Halperin did manage to wrangle another book deal in 2019, and while How to Beat Trump has not sold well, the fact that he was able to write it does not point to total ostracism. As he noted, the publisher approached him." 

I wasn't aware of a recent book. I haven't seen him (or anyone else!) on NewsMax.

Poor Halperin. All he had to do was to remember to not rub himself all over his female coworkers and he wouldn’t be in this position.

I really don’t know what these guys are thinking when they do stuff like that. Disgusting.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Eliot said:

I really don’t know what these guys are thinking when they do stuff like that. Disgusting.

These Guys do it, I think, because they can - or could, back in the day.  I never liked Halperin's smug, doughy face and then he called Obama a D..k.  On air.  Isn't that what he called him?  It is all starting to blend together.  

• Love 2

Joe egged him on and then acted contrite.  Halperin was suspended by MSNBC, which he richly deserved.

The incident took place during the “Morning Joe” show, when host Joe Scarborough asked Halperin what he thought of Obama’s press conference and Halperin questioned whether the seven-second delay was in effect so he could give his real opinion — apparently thinking it would be bleeped out before hitting the air. Scarborough told Halperin to go for it because they would use the delay to prevent whatever he said from being broadcast. “You fall down, I’m going to catch you,” Scarborough told Halperin.

At that point, Halperin said he thought Obama had been “kind of a dick.” Scarborough then expressed amazement that Halperin had actually said that and told him he had only been joking about using the seven-second delay.

“Delay that. Delay that. What are you doing? I can’t believe … don’t do that. Did we delay that?” Scarborough said.

“I was just joking,” Scarborough said to Halperin.

“Catch me now, I’m falling,” Halperin responded.

Just minutes later, Halperin quickly apologized on the air to the president and viewers for his choice of words. “Joking aside, this is an absolute apology. I shouldn’t have said it. I apologize to the president and the viewers who heard me say that,” Halperin said.

“We’re going to have a meeting after the show,” Scarborough said.

According to Scarborough, there had been a mishap with the seven-second delay button — a new executive producer apparently didn’t know how it worked. “You are supposed to know how to do the job,” Scarborough said of his producer. “I would tell you what I think of him, but he doesn’t know what button to push.”

https://www.politico.com/story/2011/06/mark-halperin-suspended-by-msnbc-058098

• Useful 3
  • Love 3
14 minutes ago, suomi said:

According to Scarborough, there had been a mishap with the seven-second delay button — a new executive producer apparently didn’t know how it worked. “You are supposed to know how to do the job,” Scarborough said of his producer. “I would tell you what I think of him, but he doesn’t know what button to push.”

Or, alternatively, you don't coax a guest into swearing on live TV.

• Love 7

This just goes to show that whoever came up with the name "Morning Douche" - was so so right.  Joe should have gotten a suspension, too.  But apparently he is Golden at the network; and Meeka basks in the aura.  I am actually surprised that Fox has not offered them the morning spot - and I think Joe would be a good fit; a true Conservative (hushed whisper) who can also entertain and belittle.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

Caught Halperin on Newsmax tonight doing commentary on Georgia. Wow, did exile age him. His hairline has receded quite a bit and his face is rounder. Features are softer...but, hey, none of us are looking any younger. I didn't really listen to him because I am beyond over elections at this point but I have to say I felt a little sad for him sitting there on that cheesy set. Sad, but still mad. Putting himself out there like that has got to be humiliating.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

I came of age in the 60’s. And there were times, indeed, that it seemed like the entire country was on fire. But.

There was always the sense that after Vietnam, the country would be able to come out okay in the end. Things  never went as terribly wrong and as far as bringing guns into the Capitol and causing the deaths of 5 people.

Joe is getting harder and harder to take first thing in the morning. Zbig was right- Joe is stunningly superficial. I may need a wee break from the bloviator. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 5

that's interesting Kemper. I also think two things maybe make it worse right now, the disinformation, and the isolation. Everyone is trapped in information bubbles while at the same time for long periods we can't physically leave our homes... my impression from 60s documentaries etc was there was a least a sense of community that was hopeful *cries*

If you're gonna take a break please don't do it before inauguration, we need your snark! also someone needs to teach me how to make mimosas!!

• Love 3

Is it okay to "chat" here about Meeka and Bridgerton?  I do wonder if she ever watches television for fun?  Just pure escapism?  I do think Joe does...sports, music, comedy, reviews of his book.

I get together with girlfriends to group FaceTime for Happy Hour; cocktails, snacks, comments on haircuts, etc.  We are all swooning over The Duke and Daphne.  We have agreed that this particular series came along at just the right time.  We are (at least my friends and me) staying in a lot; having groceries and things delivered or picked up.  As are a lot of people.  So this series comes on in the dead of winter, politics is ugly, the days are short.  Here comes a hard R-rated series, regency England, balls, music, fantastic jewelry and a couple who just light the screen on fire.  One friend, kind of a prude, will not watch it with her husband! lol.  He strolled through the room while we were discussing it and he grinned and said he was watchng it by himself.  And enjoying!

I am in my mid-70's; I am the youngest person in our group....and I just want to say that 60,000,000 viewers cannot be wrong.  Maybe someone in this thread can post on Meeka's Instragram or whatever she uses and ask about her watching this show.  Please.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
21 minutes ago, neona said:

I totally missed this but Katy Tur will be the best mom on the planet, she has the kindest face and literally kept me sane thru election season by being calm and reassuring while I was bouncing off the walls with insomnia. Well, her and Ayman and Ali Velshi! But mostly Katy... best wishes to baby Tur!!!

Yay, a baby sister for Teddy! So happy for Katy. Nice photos, check out his curls.

(My little bro had curls like those which grew to shoulder length. I remember crying during his first haircut "Noooo").

https://people.com/parents/katy-tur-pregnant-expecting-second-child-daughter-tony-dokoupil/

• Love 5

Meeka was an answer on my crossword puzzle today!  The clue was something like "Bryzinski on MSNBC" ... four letter answer.  Is she aware of this?  If only someone could let her know.  😎

• LOL 2
17 hours ago, Kemper said:

Meeka was an answer on my crossword puzzle today!  The clue was something like "Bryzinski on MSNBC" ... four letter answer.  Is she aware of this?  If only someone could let her know.  😎

Ha! In the old, carefree, fun days of the show Joe would have had a field day with this. Taunting her and mocking her (of course) while she would be all flustered and embarrassed and swatting him with her papers. Kind of like Mika's "south of France" vacation meme days. Now, though, in this joyless, dismal, dark platform they've adopted, I doubt it would be mentioned...Joe's ego may not allow it.

Glad to hear someone else enjoys crossword puzzles. I used to do them sporadically over the years but now I do them religiously. Keeps me sharp and inquisitive. I marvel at how much one can learn from them and think what a wonderful tool they are for parents to use to help kids learn about a lot of different things. Underappreciated IMO. 

• Love 6
On 1/31/2021 at 8:35 AM, plumbago blues said:

I just saw that he is mulling a bid for NYC mayor!!! That would be interesting. 

So he doesn't live in Minnesota anymore?  I still am bitter about him resigning.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Kemper said:

So he doesn't live in Minnesota anymore? 

Here's all I know: was clicking through the 433 cable channels the other morning and caught a news show with his picture and noticed the headline..."Will he make a run for it?" Paid a little more attention and saw that they meant NYC mayor. I, too, thought how can that be if he's in MN. Looked around the web a little more and found that people have spotted him grocery shopping near his old place in NY and the tongues started wagging. Have no concrete knowledge. It would be wild though. I think there are about 30 candidates already!

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

(Humor me here.) The crossword clue was "Overly submissive"...the four letter answer started with M and had a K in it! Alas; it was Meek, not Mika. So close, tho!

ETA: I'm not making this up. That puzzle writer must be trolling.

Edited by plumbago blues
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1

https://nypost.com/2021/02/06/lincoln-project-co-founder-resigns-amid-contract-dispute/?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=NYPTwitter&utm_medium=SocialFlow

Will Mika ask Steve Scmidt about her departure from  Project Lincoln ?

It would be an excellent opportunity for Mika to show how her "Know Your Value" strategies can help women.

I remember the segment on Morning Joe, & Joe said he knew her from his visit to NH during the primaries. 

• Love 2
On 2/6/2021 at 4:45 PM, oakville said:

Will Mika ask Steve Schmidt about her departure from  Project Lincoln ?

Wow. All about the money, I'd say. That Lincoln group are all just a band of grifters, IMO. They are everything they hate Trump for. I caught Schmidt last week, with the sound on for once...ack! That voice! How annoying.

I doubt Mika will mention this as she pretty much fits in the grifter category herself. (See KYV...I doubt she'd stick with it if NBC stopped promoting it and paying her for it.)

• Love 4
On 2/8/2021 at 6:14 AM, plumbago blues said:

Wow. All about the money, I'd say. That Lincoln group are all just a band of grifters, IMO. They are everything they hate Trump for. I caught Schmidt last week, with the sound on for once...ack! That voice! How annoying.

I doubt Mika will mention this as she pretty much fits in the grifter category herself. (See KYV...I doubt she'd stick with it if NBC stopped promoting it and paying her for it.)

It is very lucrative business to be a political consultant. Steve Schmidt must have a made a fortune from advising the Starbucks CEO to run for President & the Lincoln Project.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, oakville said:

I don't think  Mika & Joe would mention the scandal on the show given their close relationship with Schmidt, Wilson, Michael Steele & Susan Del Percio.

Are hinky shenanigans a prerequisite for being a Friend Of The Show? It would seem so. It has been shown over and over that the twins run with a shady crowd. I still say Joe has some MeToo that has yet to be revealed. Island of misfit toys, indeed.

Concerns about the group’s finances have also resurfaced. The Lincoln Project showered firms owned by its co-founders with tens of millions of dollars, with $45 million spent at two advertising companies owned by Steslow and Steve Schmidt alone.

https://newrepublic.com/article/161356/spectacular-fall-lincoln-project-never-trump

• Love 2

I hope Mika & Joe will be invited to Schmidt's mansion in Utah before he sells it.

Joe could prepare a customized 15 minute rant on why it's wrong for Mormons in Utah to support President Trump. Joe could quote the Book of Mormon & compare it to his favorite bible verses.

"Others used the money earned during their time with Lincoln Project to refinance homes, or purchase a new one. Schmidt purchased a $1.4 million “Mountain Modern” custom home in Kamas, Utah, with five bedrooms, seven baths and a “stunning” view of the Uinta Mountains, according to property records and real estate listings. He is currently trying to resell the home for $2.9 million."

https://apnews.com/article/john-weaver-lincoln-project-crisis-b14be5f06588b8f1d78125d4141394cb

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, suomi said:

Are hinky shenanigans a prerequisite for being a Friend Of The Show? It would seem so. It has been shown over and over that the twins run with a shady crowd. I still say Joe has some MeToo that has yet to be revealed. Island of misfit toys, indeed.

I cease to be amazed at how many shady characters Mika & Joe allow on the show.

Conway freaked out a few weeks ago when Mika gently asked him about the accusations against Weaver.

• Love 2

Steve Schmitt is about the only one of the Lincoln Project people that I enjoy listening to...his rants are priceless.  But again.  Let's not forget it was the "movers and shakers and money-raisers" like most of the "Project" guys who helped bring us to where we are today.  Some finally have buyer's remorse.  I loved their political ads running up to the election; they raised tons and tons of money for these ads; yes, I am sure a huge portion of it went into their pockets.  But the ads...did they really make a difference?  Or were they preaching to the choir?  The Twins, however, loves these guys;; they are Joe's people.  He is just like them...rants and all.  I will bet Joe is a bit envious of Steve S, though...Steve doesn't have to get up at 5:00 a.m. every morning; Steve can rant and say just about anything without possible blowback from his employers.  Well, maybe Joe can, too.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Kemper said:

Steve Schmitt is about the only one of the Lincoln Project people that I enjoy listening to...his rants are priceless.  But again.  Let's not forget it was the "movers and shakers and money-raisers" like most of the "Project" guys who helped bring us to where we are today.  Some finally have buyer's remorse.  I loved their political ads running up to the election; they raised tons and tons of money for these ads; yes, I am sure a huge portion of it went into their pockets.  But the ads...did they really make a difference?  Or were they preaching to the choir?  The Twins, however, loves these guys;; they are Joe's people.  He is just like them...rants and all.  I will bet Joe is a bit envious of Steve S, though...Steve doesn't have to get up at 5:00 a.m. every morning; Steve can rant and say just about anything without possible blowback from his employers.  Well, maybe Joe can, too.

Schmidt is a political mercenary. He recommended that Sarah Palin be McCain's pick for VP when McCain wanted to pick Democratic Senator Lieberman in 2008. He was running  Starbucks founder Shultz campaign for President in 2020. It will be interesting to see if he participates in running campaigns for Democrats in the future.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 2/13/2021 at 5:14 AM, suomi said:

Are hinky shenanigans a prerequisite for being a Friend Of The Show? It would seem so.

I keep forgetting to bring up Harold Ford, Jr. He has found a spot as a pretty regular panel member on Bret Baier's show on Fox. He is supposed to be the dissenting voice but he's just so congenial and milk-toast-y. Always agreeable. Doesn't really bring much fire to the table but he's pleasant. I know he was a rain maker at Morgan Stanley but now he's done this: https://www.nasdaq.com/articles/diversity-focused-spac-empowerment-inclusion-capital-i-files-for-a-%24200-million-ipo-2020. He is always so polite...thanks Bret for having him on, etc. Mama raised him right.

• Useful 1

Right after my rage this morning at Claire, Karma paid a visit. All the water is now off in this part of the city. (Can't pump it without power.) We thought frozen pipes earlier this week was our biggest issue! Luckily, the freezing rain stopped and the temp rose a little so we went into survival mode and collected several gallons of water (half a trash barrel) from the melting snow and ice from the gutters...kinda Keystone Kop-like, running with buckets from one downspout to the other, but mission accomplished! We're ready for toilet duty! Have plenty of water bottles and juice for drinking. All the grocery stores nearby are now closed...gave up on opening d/t lack of power, water, inventory and the coming ice and snow later today. Crazy. We are so blessed though to have enough power...to see reports of people in their homes without it and water is heartbreaking. They finally opened the convention center and arenas as warming stations for them but they filled up fast. They say the temp will be 70 a week from today and we will welcome it.

Ms. Plumbago - glad to see you have power;  but I know this is all stressful and infuriating.  

Here is a stupid question regarding The Red Cross.  Is this situation in Texas something that they could go in and assist with?  Giving out blankets, food, water, etc.?  Of course, getting into the areas that need it, with the weather conditions, would be problematic.

• Love 2

Well, here goes. Made it through the night without incident. Had turned the water off where it comes into the house last night as the city directed. Heard gurgling this am and we turned it on and ran the faucet and there was water...brown, chalky trickles! It finally cleared some and gained a bit of pressure but the city is on a boil order so I filled several pots and boiled it but it still looks pretty gross. Thru the day it has lost more and more pressure and...then there was none!  Out again! Such a pain. 30% of the city is without water. Would be nice if there was some personal notification about this, like emails or calls but we've heard nothing...just vague news reports of outages and us neighbors checking in. We have gone from the 7th largest city in the US to a third world country in the last 5 days. No water, thousands w/o power, no mail delivery all week, no UPS, Fedex, and Amazon, no trash pickup, surgeries cancelled, stopped all vax sites and testing, urgent cares closed, doctors closed, schools closed, restaurants closed, no food delivery or grocery delivery, food bank closed, store shelves empty, if they are open...the saddest thing though is the hospitals; several here in SA, and Houston, Austin, etc. are asking for food and water to feed staff and maybe patients! They'll take donations or are willing to pay. Plus it has been snowing all day...like snow-globe snowing. Unbelievable. Another day of below freezing. 20 degrees tonite again. I am fortunate to have some quick fix sandwich meat and nuggets in the freezer and some buns and rolls. Plenty of canned goods. Have a case of bottled water. We will easily get thru this but  to watch civilization as we knew it just collapse is unbelievable. 

Kemper: the Red Cross was a good thought. Haven't heard a word about them so I looked on line and they seem to be involved with actual warming stations. There have been several big apt fires that I think they have been working to help the suddenly homeless. 

Last year I gave up bourbon for Lent. This year I feel like we've all given up our sanity!

Edited by plumbago blues
  • Love 1

Ms. Blues...it just keeps getting worse, doesn't it?  I do know that the Red Cross is asking for donations; what is your weather forecast for the next couple of days?  Still bitter cold?  A daughter of a friend of mine is in Texas...her pipes are frozen, she has no water, and she, too, has been gathering water from dripping eaves.

I gave up Irish Whiskey for Lent; since it appears that we may need to start on an ark here in my neck of the woods...giving up the whiskey looks to be an epic fail.  

We are all thinking of you and yours...and wishing/hoping for some relief.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, plumbago blues said:

Well, here goes. Made it through the night without incident. Had turned the water off where it comes into the house last night as the city directed. Heard gurgling this am and we turned it on and ran the faucet and there was water...brown, chalky trickles! It finally cleared some and gained a bit of pressure but the city is on a boil order so I filled several pots and boiled it but it still looks pretty gross. Thru the day it has lost more and more pressure and...then there was none!  Out again! Such a pain. 30% of the city is without water. Would be nice if there was some personal notification about this, like emails or calls but we've heard nothing...just vague news reports of outages and us neighbors checking in. We have gone from the 7th largest city in the US to a third world country in the last 5 days. No water, thousands w/o power, no mail delivery all week, no UPS, Fedex, and Amazon, no trash pickup, surgeries cancelled, stopped all vax sites and testing, urgent cares closed, doctors closed, schools closed, restaurants closed, no food delivery or grocery delivery, food bank closed, store shelves empty, if they are open...the saddest thing though is the hospitals; several here in SA, and Houston, Austin, etc. are asking for food and water to feed staff and maybe patients! They'll take donations or are willing to pay. Plus it has been snowing all day...like snow-globe snowing. Unbelievable. Another day of below freezing. 20 degrees tonite again. I am fortunate to have some quick fix sandwich meat and nuggets in the freezer and some buns and rolls. Plenty of canned goods. Have a case of bottled water. We will easily get thru this but  to watch civilization as we knew it just collapse is unbelievable. 

Kemper: the Red Cross was a good thought. Haven't heard a word about them so I looked on line and they seem to be involved with actual warming stations. There have been several big apt fires that I think they have been working to help the suddenly homeless. 

Last year I gave up bourbon for Lent. This year I feel like we've all given up our sanity!

I am very sorry to hear this news. I can only imagine how devastating this is to everyone in Texas. It's very scary at how quickly life can deteriorate without electricity & water.

I had the pleasure of visiting Dallas for a wedding many years ago & loved the city. I hope to return one day.

Is there anything I can do to cheer you up? I could write an extra snarky post about Morning Joe tomorrow for you. 🙂

• LOL 2
  • Love 3