Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Cup O' Joe

Dagny

Please remember that the Small Talk thread does not allow for the conversations that violate the Primetimer Politics Rule.

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, neona said:

i wasn't trolling you, oakville, this genuinely looks fun, i had just never heard of it. here's to hoping you get to see your friends again soon... 

tbh this last stretch just feels interminable....like even longer than the first few months. is it just me? my parents live far away, they're not vaxxed yet and already they act like this is all over and are going out and stuff and tbh it's stressful as fuck.... all i want is for everyone i know to reach that finish line ok and healthy 

No worries. Pickleball is very popular with retirees. It's like playing Ping Pong with paddles & a wifle ball on a Badminton Court . I play with people in their 60's & 70's. I get annoyed when they beat me because I am in my early 50s. I am getting better though. 

I also play Badminton & was planning to start playing tennis this summer.

I am worried about my 21 year old daughter who is in college where there has been an outbreak in the last few days. She has to stay there for exams till the end of April.

Canadians are very envious of how successful the vaccination program has being going in the USA compared to Canada.

People are stressed out here & the liquor stores & marijuana retailers are very busy.

Hopefully, this nightmare will be over soon.

I appreciate your contributions to this forum. It's nice to get an opinion from some younger viewers.

• Love 3

Neona...I am crushed that Simon will not be in the next Bridgerton series.  But, he and "Daphne" had tons of chemistry - so much so that you didn't notice anyone else on the screen.  Whoops...just me? lol  So maybe it is a good thing that he won't be in the next series; "Anthony" didn't have a lot of oomph with the opera singer other than them conducting sexual gymnastics; it will be interesting to see him with someone else. 

• Love 1
17 hours ago, Kemper said:

Neona...I am crushed that Simon will not be in the next Bridgerton series.  But, he and "Daphne" had tons of chemistry - so much so that you didn't notice anyone else on the screen.  Whoops...just me? lol  So maybe it is a good thing that he won't be in the next series; "Anthony" didn't have a lot of oomph with the opera singer other than them conducting sexual gymnastics; it will be interesting to see him with someone else. 

Humph.  Daphne had the personality of a wet noodle.  But Simon -- or Regé-Jean, if you will -- could have sold chemistry with anyone, he's that hot.

• Love 3

As mad as I am at the MLB re: the Allstar game changes, it was thrilling to see excited fans again yesterday at the Rangers game. Great win, Oakville, but I bet it was bittersweet for you there still in lockdown. Despite our loss, it was a real morale booster for our state. I hope your chance of resuming normalcy comes soon.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, plumbago blues said:

As mad as I am at the MLB re: the Allstar game changes, it was thrilling to see excited fans again yesterday at the Rangers game. Great win, Oakville, but I bet it was bittersweet for you there still in lockdown. Despite our loss, it was a real morale booster for our state. I hope your chance of resuming normalcy comes soon.

Thanks. The Jays starting rotation is weak except for Ryu. The team has great hitters & they are still missing George Springer.

The Rangers & Jays had a great playoff rivalry in 2015 & 2016. Do you remember the 7th inning of Game 5 in the ALDS when Bautista hit the 3 run HR ?

I have been to Dallas before & would love to visit the Arlington Ballpark when the border reopens.

Sadly, the Jays can't play in Toronto due to the border being closed. They are starting their home games in Dunedin Florida which is close to our annual vacation spot in Sarasota. The Jays will move back to the AAA stadium in Buffalo NY in late May.

On a brighter note, I was able to book a vaccination appointment for my wife on April 16th !.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, oakville said:

The team has great hitters & they are still missing George Springer.

This sounds like us Astro fans! George was great. Ironic he donated 100 grand to the Minute Maid Park workers last year and then left for Toronto. We aren't big Rangers fans since the Astros, formerly known as Lastros, joined the AL and started winning. (And yeah, cheating, but they paid the price.) Springer, Altuve, Breggman, and Verlander were great. I do remember the playoff game with Bautista...thrilling! I had forgotten about the border issue for the Jays. Bummer. I hope you get good TV coverage to keep up with all the action.

Glad you got your wife an appointment. I got my 2nd one this morning...in and out in 15 minutes. Big relief, for sure.

• Love 3

Was watching MJ this morning, and they had Claire in here kitchen.  It looked as if Claire is relaxing her standard of dress.  I'll have to avert my eyes next time😰.

• LOL 2
1 hour ago, Liberty said:

Was watching MJ this morning, and they had Claire in here kitchen.  It looked as if Claire is relaxing her standard of dress.  I'll have to avert my eyes next time😰.

What did she have on?  It could not be worse than the peasant blouses Alex Witt wears on some Saturdays.  Loose, low neck; sometimes there is a wee pop of cleavage.  I would like to see Claire top that!

• Love 2

Claire decided to 'set the girls free' underneath a black turtle neck.

With her age and physique there is no way she could have passed the pencil test.  A lot of guests, and even hosts, can dress in a traditional manner of professional dignity at this early hour.

• Love 2

Donnie said something disgustingly flattering to one of Twins this morning...maybe about How Important One Of Them Is. My mouth dropped open; but sadly the plumber came in to deliver bad news..so Donnie’s remark was put away in my brain.  I do remember it being a shocking example of sucking up.

An aside...last week it was an electrician, this week the plumber.  It is rare to find technicians willing to work on an over 100-year house, so I drop everything when I hear the words “ could you come take a look at this” because it is always $$$$$ news.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Liberty said:

A lot of guests, and even hosts, can dress in a traditional manner of professional dignity at this early hour.

A lot, yes, but certainly not all. If Mika sets the standard for professional dignity then the bar for guests is pretty low. Claire might as well show up in a housecoat and curlers.

27 minutes ago, Kemper said:

An aside...last week it was an electrician, this week the plumber.

Ack! I almost envy you, Kemper. At least the guys have come over and started the work. I'm in the process now of trying to get estimates from the tree guy for my dead palm, plumbers for a new water heater and softener and spigots, and the window guys for my dumb kitchen windows. My house is only 20 yrs old but they all still seem to find "oh, another thing I think you should consider" when they see the place. Losing all of 2020's planned little projects makes this year's seem huge. I feel the pressure, for sure.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, plumbago blues said:

A lot, yes, but certainly not all. If Mika sets the standard for professional dignity then the bar for guests is pretty low.

last week in Phoenix a local news weather woman was wearing one of Mia's bathrobes while providing the forecast 🤔

• LOL 3

This week I heard a story involving one of the Kardashians ..the tall one who sexily pouts while she is doing a migraine prescription commercial.  Apparently a photo or video of her was released without being "touched up" ... meaning no makeup, I guess.  She is upset.  (She was also shown dancing around in what appeared to be a g-string)  

This would seem to be a true KYV teachable moment.  This is the kind of thing Meeka should be taking on.  Not having celebrities/newswomen come on to pat all yourselves on the back and eager to share your privilege with the rest of us.  Sorry, I sound petty.  It is just the hypocrisy from this particular Twin...your entire career is possible due to trading on your family name, your legs, and marrying your boss.  And working on a network that is depending on your spouse for ratings.  Why not bring on a doctor, nurse, administrative assistant, lawyer, teacher, blue collar worker?  I may actually be interested in someone who isn't a celebrity or part of the KYV coven.

The upside...I am considering picketing a local newspaper office due to their poor customer service (I checked with the local police to see if I need a permit)...an actual plumber came and fixed problematic drains...and an actual electrician repaired some faulty wiring.  And I am going to visit my best friend (and Happy Hour mate); the first time we have gotten together in person (other than scattering Mr. Kemper's ashes) in about a year.  There will be wine, cheese, crab cakes and shrimp.  Winning.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, Kemper said:
12 hours ago, Kemper said:

Why not bring on a doctor, nurse, administrative assistant, lawyer, teacher, blue collar worker?  I may actually be interested in someone who isn't a celebrity or part of the KYV coven.

Agree 100%. (Though I am not familiar with the current Kardashian kerfuffle.) The problem with your idea is that Mika is only interested in the elite and celebrated women...those she can attach her own value to. We all know she is just out for herself and making herself look like some kind of super woman who can fix the world. It would be too much work for her to chase down a story/person of real value, the unsung hero-type who is plodding along without fanfare. Actually, I think she should have based her KYV platform on that time she ripped up or burned the script about who, Paris Hilton, years ago. She had her "moment" and got lots of press...and could have started a campaign against all the shallow bullshit but she found it easier to pick somewhat better known women who have the right pedigree and connections that she can glom onto and use to her advantage and give herself ego points for. Ridiculously, she based her campaign on her situation: the whole bonus thing, dating and marrying her coworker/boss, etc. and pretended that what she did had value. What a joke. (What she should do, Kemper, is highlight someone like you: a strong, determined woman, willing to take a stand against the everyday injustices and annoyances we all face...even the local paper!...all while enduring a very sad and difficult year.)

Sorry so wordy. And sorry for the dumb copy error above. 🙁

• Love 4
7 hours ago, plumbago blues said:

The problem with your idea is that Mika is only interested in the elite and celebrated women...those she can attach her own value to.

There is so much here for Mika to thoroughly examine.  For example, the Kardashians and Paris Hilton traded sex appeal for notoriety and fortune... what does this say about us all, about this as a path to follow/not follow?  What about women who struggle but still know their value and aren't elite media stars or captains of industry?   This is what I presumed years ago KYV would be about.  No.  It has nothing at all to do with this.  She congratulates those who've crossed the finish line and won already and ignores those who run the race and lose ground.
Bless your heart, Mika.

• Love 6

About the Paris Hilton stunt -she did it for effect; the camera panned to her stalking off the set in faux outrage.  She got tons of mileage out of that staged tantrum; but maybe I should have a grudging respect for knowing her value on how that would go over.

Plumbago B...thank you; everyone has had a terrible year.  We do what we can to keep going.  To paraphrase Julia Sugarbaker: "none of the women in my family has ever aspired to be Miss Congeniality" ... or even a better one regarding women that sadly, Meeka will never use:

'Women may be one group that grows more radical with age' (thank you, Gloria Steinham). 

Lowcountry snark:  brilliant post!    

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Lowcountry snark said:

There is so much here for Mika to thoroughly examine.  For example, the Kardashians and Paris Hilton traded sex appeal for notoriety and fortune... what does this say about us all, about this as a path to follow/not follow? 

It would be risky for Mika to discuss trading sex appeal for notoriety/fortune because this is exactly what she did when she dumped her husband for Joe. She acknowledged that it was a difficult decision when she began to realize that she had "chemistry" with Joe she was interviewed by Leslie Stahl in 2017. 

Mika has written in her first book how upset she was when CBS fired her before her 40th birthday in 2007 . CBS had complained about her poor wardrobe choices & that she had gained weight & didn't look professional when she appeared on air for the network.  Mika found work doing the overnight shift at MSNBC &  Joe watched her while in bed at night during the Scarborough Country repeats & took a liking to her.

I think it is sad that many women on cable news are judged based on their physical attractiveness.

Mika admitted in her first book that she was offered jobs in communication before she accepted the overnight MSNBC  job which paid well & didn't demand that she look "sexy" for tv, but she turned them down.

Mika grew up in a very well known family that had high expectations. Her career on tv was almost over at 40 & Joe's lust "rescued" her. It's sad.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I watched previously to the 8am restart, and the 8am restart to 8:30am, and they haven't covered the mass shooting at a Fed Ex facility?  Just Chauvin specifically and policing in general - it's Friday and it's been this way all week.  So I clicked to Fox News to see what they were trying to politicize, and there was a package on Florida passing legislation on trans-gender athletes, then a fan caught a baseball with his nachos, then a picture of Putin and Biden shaking hands as they said Russia is growing stronger, then a package on "Biden's Border Crisis" and how Biden's policies created this situation at the border.  THAT is how you do propaganda, MSNBC.   
If MSNBC wants to dip a toe into the culture wars, they don't have to spend 15 hours a week with 25 PHDs being correct, thoughtful and woke.  Just fling shit at the wall. 
OTOH, I appreciate the level of expertise that MSNBC has in their stable and how Meachem can give me a 5 minute mini-course on American history.   But c'mon, there are a LOT of other topics to cover.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Lowcountry snark said:

If MSNBC wants to dip a toe into the culture wars, they don't have to spend 15 hours a week with 25 PHDs being correct, thoughtful and woke.  Just fling shit at the wall. 

This. I am just sick to death of the philosophizing and pontificating. The show used to be a real news show, with serious stories along with engaging, if kind of silly, stories. It was informative while still being somewhat lighthearted. Now it's all doom and gloom and I don't want to be lectured to at 5am. I can't watch more than about 10 minutes anymore.

• Love 3
On 4/16/2021 at 4:54 PM, plumbago blues said:

This. I am just sick to death of the philosophizing and pontificating. The show used to be a real news show, with serious stories along with engaging, if kind of silly, stories. It was informative while still being somewhat lighthearted. Now it's all doom and gloom and I don't want to be lectured to at 5am. I can't watch more than about 10 minutes anymore.

I am puzzled at Morning Joe's focus on the "Culture Wars". Joe is not believable as a leader of "Woke America". Joe has told numerous stories over the past few years about being very popular in the African American community. Joe bragged that he was one of the first kids to attend desegregated schools & that the African American kids looked up to Joe because he was successful in baseball & football.

Joe also said that he never heard anyone using the "N" word to describe African Americans while he was growing up in Georgia,Alabama, Mississippi & the Panhandle in Florida. It's highly unlikely that happened.

My favorite anecdote about Joe is when he said that he was very friendly with many members of the Black Caucus & that  Congresswoman ,Maxime Waters suggested that Joe be considered for a leadership position with the group.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, oakville said:

Joe bragged that he was one of the first kids to attend desegregated schools

Like he had anything to do with that decision. What a pioneer. When I was a kid, we just went to school. We didn't have any personal choice in the matter. Bragging that he never heard the N word uttered is just unbelievable. Wouldn't his wokeness get some cred by saying that he heard it and was disgusted by it? Apparently he'll just say anything. Perfect fit for politics...perhaps he should return.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, plumbago blues said:

Like he had anything to do with that decision. What a pioneer. When I was a kid, we just went to school. We didn't have any personal choice in the matter. Bragging that he never heard the N word uttered is just unbelievable. Wouldn't his wokeness get some cred by saying that he heard it and was disgusted by it? Apparently he'll just say anything. Perfect fit for politics...perhaps he should return.

Agreed. It's also absurd that Joe used to brag about having a Confederate Flag & UK flag in his college dorm room in the early 1980's.

The fact is that Joe ran as a "Good Ol' Boy" Southern Republican that appealed to white voters that were tired of the Democrats controlling Congress in 1994. Joe's district does not have a large percentage of African Americans voters.

He knew what he was doing when he tried to introduce legislation to denounce Rev Al Sharpton.

• Love 2

I just saw where Mark Halperin has gotten a job (in a limited capacity) with No Labels.  Having not seen him in years, I have to wonder if his face still resembles bread dough. He was not a bad-looking man, I guess, but I could never stand him.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1

watching the Chauvin verdict special coverage, and I know I've said this before but doing this "Brian Williams swoops in like Superman!!" stuff is nuts and extremely tone deaf...and especially on *this* case. Nicolle is perfectly capable, and also in this case, if anyone is gonna swoop in, it should be Joy. ffs

(i swear, I LIKE him. just, in his own timeslot?)

• Love 1

Sorry, there is no one I would rather have sitting in the anchor chair for something like this.  There is not much he has not reported on; plus he and Nicole have excellent chemistry.  She is still commenting - and I would think that she would welcome him as a partner on a story like this. Just my opinion.

• Love 3

totally fair, my friend, ymmv 🙂. i'm guessing we agree on the verdict, so disagreeing re the anchors is small potatoes in the greater scheme of things. And you're right, he did try to include her AND they got Joy on the phone, so fair enough

• Love 1

Has anyone ever been to an “interactive” art exhibit?  My daughter and I share a birthday so we are getting tickets, staying in a hotel and everything AND soaking up Van Gogh. Wine, cheese and birthday cake. Maybe Meeka would like to come? I have no expectations because I am still not sure what an interactive exhibit is.  Daughter has shared the gist, I have seen it online.  You know, The World Wide Web that everyone talks about.  🤓

• Love 2
(edited)
On 5/13/2021 at 7:39 PM, Kemper said:

Has anyone ever been to an “interactive” art exhibit?  My daughter and I share a birthday so we are getting tickets, staying in a hotel and everything AND soaking up Van Gogh. Wine, cheese and birthday cake. Maybe Meeka would like to come? I have no expectations because I am still not sure what an interactive exhibit is.  Daughter has shared the gist, I have seen it online.  You know, The World Wide Web that everyone talks about.  🤓

omg yes!! this Immersive Van Gogh thingy has been making the rounds!! I've been twice. It's good. Ish.

BUT it depends on the number of people there - nr 1 advice, get there early in line, make sure there are no tall annoying dudes in front of you blocking the view. it's basically like going into a number of rooms where each room has a painting projected large-scale on all four walls, and because it surrounds you it can be a really overpowering beautiful feeling, BUT also since it's a projection, you don't want anyone standing in front of you, that will ruin the effect.

So as soon as you feel things are wrapping up in one room, hurry up and move on to the next, again to avoid annoying tall dudes!!

An interactive art exhibit can be beautiful because it kinda....surrounds you. And there's a narrative, which is useful but can also be super cheesy. A digital projection will never be a replacement for seeing the real thing, communing with the brush strokes up close, etc. BUT if you relax and appreciate it for what it is, the way it surrounds you can definitely be an enjoyable experience. 

Before you go, there is this really great enjoyable 3-part documentary about Van Gogh you should watch from Perspective: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHtggrbCFHc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jF0s_OcQEak

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XA_CqvjQWu8

ETA: also, I forgot to say happy birthday to you!!! and to Lil Kemper!! Let us know what you guys thought of it!!

Edited by neona
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

Brown Bear....are you in the part of Virginia that is experiencing the horrific cicada invasion?  We lived through one when our son was maybe in Kindergarten (he is now 49) ...and he took joy in putting them in his pockets and releasing them in the back seat when I was driving.  The roads were so thick with them that you couldn’t see the asphalt.  We lived in Northern Virginia.

There was an article yesterday from Anne Arundel County, MD about the awfulness.  It is infecting the DC suburbs in Maryland right now also.

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, Kemper said:

horrific cicada invasion?  We lived through one when our son was maybe in Kindergarten (he is now 49) ...and he took joy in putting them in his pockets and releasing them in the back seat when I was driving.  The roads were so thick with them that you couldn’t see the asphalt.  We lived in Northern Virginia.

There was an article yesterday from Anne Arundel County, MD about the awfulness.  It is infecting the DC suburbs in Maryland right now also.

Kemper! And others, of course! Have you read Summerlings by Lisa Howorth? You Must! It is a delightful novel set in the late 50's/early 60's about a boy and his friends coming-of-age in the DC suburbs. In the middle of a spider invasion! It was a wonderful read. Funny, poignant, and ever so real...especially to those of us of a certain age who were growing up at that time. I read it last spring during the lock down and it brought me joy. I am certain you could relate to it. (I worked all through high school and college at the library and so books are a bit of a passion and good ones are hard to find. This was a keeper. IMO, of course!!)

• Love 1

Plumbago...thank you for the recommendation!  I will meander to my local library library next week.  I am getting a ton of family in over the Memorial Day Weekend...my daughter called me and told me that The Circus is Coming to Town.  She knows her value!!

• LOL 1
2 hours ago, oakville said:

Katty Kay is leaving the BBC. Will she till appear on Morning Joe ?

Wow. I wondered how she'd distance herself from the Bashir/Diana thing. Didn't expect this!

My first thought is that Mika will be a woman scorned. I think she liked buddying up to Katty on their IG chats and such and is probably mad that Katty has moved on to a more established, if not more legit, platform rather than go all in with Mika. Wise move, Katty.

• Love 2

I just watched a video parody on You Tube where Meeka is one of the featured players..thank you My Grand for this.

The title is “Like a Kidney Stone” with Yamiche, Meeka, Katy Kur and an appearance by Dylan.  All their lips are mouthing the lyrics, which have been changed to fit what was happening at the time.  But the tune was the same.  It is hilarious and makes me wonder if Meeka has seen it?  If so...would she laugh?  Maybe like A Kidney Stone.

There is also one with Cuomo and Trump both talking like tough guys to “With a Little Help From My Friends” which is also really funny.  Or maybe we are easily amused.

Has anyone seen the clip of the CNN reporter hysterically reacting to a cicada landing on his neck?  On live tv?  I don't blame him...it would be horrifying.  But the reaction of the crew to this...!!!  That was the best part.  "Are the cicadas organizing a planned attack" or some such.  I think it was on Mediaite.

On 5/26/2021 at 7:49 AM, oakville said:

Yeah, Willie made a big announcement about it. Katy said she couldn't resist the opportunities offered. She'll still be doing MJ segments.

4 hours ago, Kemper said:

Has anyone seen the clip of the CNN reporter hysterically reacting to a cicada landing on his neck?  On live tv?  I don't blame him...it would be horrifying.  But the reaction of the crew to this...!!!  That was the best part.  "Are the cicadas organizing a planned attack" or some such.  I think it was on Mediaite.

I only just saw it on MJ this morning. Mika was very disapproving of the reporter's colleagues. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Hope this does not violate any Forum rules for politics...if so, please do not ban me.  I mean well.  Here goes (hope it is not too long)...

I have been searching for something to “get me going and out and about” since this last awful year.  I am 74 so my options are a wee bit limited.  I have an acquaintance who heads up a pretty “radical” group (my kids and Grands are nicely appalled). Last night was my first Zoom meeting; actually first time meeting all but one of them.  It went spectacularly wrong.  I was drinking beer and watching hockey when I remembered the meeting; but had the time wrong.  I joined the meeting in progress.  I was asked to introduce myself; I chirpingly said my name, my occupation (Retired Librarian impresses no one) I was a widow, and a little bio.  The Head Person asked what “pronoun” did I want to identify as.  Danger Will Robinson! I had no idea what she was talking about, so I said my name is Sally (not using my real name on this Board - that is probably not allowed).  So here is what happened....

I said “my name is Sally... but wait, that is a noun” and then burst into uncontrollable laughter.  I could not stop; all the wee squares were staring at me.  I grabbed the beer and guzzled, kept laughing and it came up a bit through my nose.  Still laughed.  Again, could not stop.  Then my beloved cat jumped on my lap and peered at the squares. I kept laughing and took another swig of beer.  They moved on. 🤓

I actually enjoyed some of the discussion once I got control of myself and Mr. Kitty. I heard from the Head Lady today about how much the group enjoyed my “infectious” laughter.  Okay then.

Edited by Kemper
Spelling error
  • LOL 6
On 6/3/2021 at 12:15 AM, Kemper said:

Hope this does not violate any Forum rules for politics...if so, please do not ban me.  I mean well.  Here goes (hope it is not too long)...

I was asked to introduce myself; I chirpingly said my name, my occupation (Retired Librarian impresses no one)

UMM excuse me, librarians are the. most. badass. people ever. My schooling was bland and boring, all my epiphanies in life have come from librarians saying "nah, that's crap, have you read this?", or "maybe this would interest you", or "that's a shitty translation, I'll order you a better one"... actual heroes!!!!

On 5/26/2021 at 12:49 PM, oakville said:

This is depressing...I'll miss Katty.... i'm honestly kinda confused, isn't the BBC basically the best gig there is in the UK? 

• Love 2

Oakville...having been previous ticket holders to The Washington Capitals, we (The Kemper family) were very familiar with The Philadelphia Flyers; both teams were in the rough-and-tumble Patrick Division.  Rod Brind'a'mour was a Philly player.  Typical hockey face...nose looks to have been broken several times.  At least.

Not long after we moved to North Carolina, he was traded to the Hurricanes; they won the Cup while he was playing for them.  Over the years he has moved from Assistant Coach to Head Coach. My dermatologist (never had seen hockey until the last 5 years or so) was checking my wrinkles recently and I noticed that he was sporting a Hurricanes button.  We started talking hockey and I mentioned that I remembered Brind'a mour from his Flyer days.  Without missing a beat, the doctor said "Wow, you are really old school aren't you" and then realized that maybe he had suggested that I was old.  Well, someday we is all going to be old. Bless his heart.

• Love 2
34 minutes ago, Kemper said:

Oakville...having been previous ticket holders to The Washington Capitals, we (The Kemper family) were very familiar with The Philadelphia Flyers; both teams were in the rough-and-tumble Patrick Division.  Rod Brind'a'mour was a Philly player.  Typical hockey face...nose looks to have been broken several times.  At least.

Not long after we moved to North Carolina, he was traded to the Hurricanes; they won the Cup while he was playing for them.  Over the years he has moved from Assistant Coach to Head Coach. My dermatologist (never had seen hockey until the last 5 years or so) was checking my wrinkles recently and I noticed that he was sporting a Hurricanes button.  We started talking hockey and I mentioned that I remembered Brind'a mour from his Flyer days.  Without missing a beat, the doctor said "Wow, you are really old school aren't you" and then realized that maybe he had suggested that I was old.  Well, someday we is all going to be old. Bless his heart.

I remember when the Hurricanes beat Montreal in the 2006 playoffs. It's funny because, Eric Staal scored in overtime to beat Montreal in a playoff game. Eric Staal now plays for Montreal & is helping the team as a veteran.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Kemper said:

"Wow, you are really old school aren't you" and then realized that maybe he had suggested that I was old.  Well, someday we is all going to be old. Bless his heart.

So true: that was certainly one of those statements we've all made and instantly regret! Leaves everyone feeling awkward. Just kind of ironic that it happened while he was surveying your face! I started going to a Derm (at the start of pandemic mask wearing) for precancerous facial spots and will always remember him subtly recoiling in horror when I lowered my mask. Felt my age, for sure. (Not that the bevy of smooth skinned botoxed-and- filled ladies in the waiting room were confidence builders.) I'm slowly molting with Rx Retinol and would love to try botox but then I think, really, what's the point? As they say, I earned those wrinkles!

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Plumbago!  Yes!  I have tried the retinal creams (my best friend and I try different ones and compare wrinkles).

A complete stranger (man) in line at the DMV the other day heard me talking to another complete stranger (a lady) about retirement; she had just retired at 65 (Social Worker, another profession we "bless hearts"). When I told her my age the Stranger Guy turned around, literally looked me up and down, and said "well, you move pretty good for your age" and then.. "you do not look your age" ... I would have kissed him but he maybe had not bathed or shaved in awhile.  Who knows.  Perhaps he cleans up well.  

But yes, Ms. P...I do feel your pain and annoyance; been there.  All the yoga in the world will not make the wrinkles go away...especially the Upper Arms.

• Love 4
44 minutes ago, Kemper said:

When I told her my age the Stranger Guy turned around, literally looked me up and down, and said "well, you move pretty good for your age"

I have aged horribly in the last three years.  I was 60 when I moved into my retirement community and more than one person felt the need to remind me you have to be 55 to live here.  Now, no such problem.  It feels so much easier to blame the hideous political climate than the fact that I lost 65 pounds and all that padding that had been keeping the wrinkles at bay. 

46 minutes ago, Kemper said:

All the yoga in the world will not make the wrinkles go away...especially the Upper Arms

The Upper Arms are Not Amused.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

Meowmommy...I think everyone has aged a good bit in this last year-and-a-half.  If we are older it has been maybe worse.  You are correct about weight loss showing up in the face. I have gone down two sizes and sadly, I only notice my 74-year-old face.  You sound like you cope with humor mixed with a good dose of reality.  The best way to go through life!

My children are trying to decide where I live without being obvious about it.  They obviously have never met their mother.  But yes, a 55-and-older community does have appeal.  I do not golf or play bridge.  To Mr. Kemper's dismay.  My thing is more "let's get together for drinks and snacks" ... that phrase can serve us well! 

• Love 4