Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Cup O' Joe

Dagny

Please remember that the Small Talk thread does not allow for the conversations that violate the Primetimer Politics Rule.

• Start Topic

47 minutes ago, xaxat said:

Katty Kay resigns from Ozy Media after a New York Times report about the firm.

Perfect timing. Now she can replace Mika. And Joe. Only one competent journalist is needed to host the show...look at the evening line-up. Time for a shake up, for sure. I never watched her BBC show but I imagine she has access to a whole group of newsy contributors to provide fresh perspectives to the time slot. Go Katty!

• Love 1

Has anyone seen the music video “Move” with Carlos Santana, Rob something who also did “Smooth” with him, and a charming young man (with fabulous hair) whose name I do not know.

I remember when Carlos Santana played at Woodstock (and I think was known as simply “Santana”) and I must say he can still pluck that guitar. It gives me life! He has also maybe lost some of that great hair; hence, the cool hat. If I didn’t know it was 2021,  I would swear no time had passed. Today will be a good day. Because we are “smooth” and can still “move” …. 🏃🏻‍♀️

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Kemper said:

Has anyone seen the music video “Move” with Carlos Santana, Rob something who also did “Smooth” with him, and a charming young man (with fabulous hair) whose name I do not know.

The Best collaboration ever...Santana and Rob Thomas. "Smooth" was my anthem back in the day...It was popular during my 3.5 day road trip/move from Ohio to Texas...Rob's voice and Carlo's playing are just perfection. I was alone in the car and l spent most of my time surfing the radio dial to find it. Thanks for telling me about the new "Move"! Finding it on the internet now is so much easier!

• Love 1

I really do not know much about interpreting TV ratings.  Mediaite is my source. So.  

I checked the network ratings throughout the day and it looks like MSNBC does okay (not really, but generally somewhat better than CNN totals) in viewers.  However, when you get  to the coveted 18-whatever-to-something age group (the all-important Demo!) ... CNN seems to do better than MSNBC in many shows.  Not total viewers, but in the demo.   The odd thing...the 6-9 am morning shows have ratings for each hour for CNN and Fox.  But MJ just gets a rating for the 6:00 hour and a blank for the other two.  Same for Nicole Wallace - no rating for the second hour.  Also - looking at the ratings, there seems to be a good reason the network shelled out the money to keep Rachel Maddow.  Joe must burn. Oakville - I hope I am getting this right.  I have time on my hands this evening.  

• Love 3
On 10/11/2021 at 11:27 AM, plumbago blues said:

The Best collaboration ever...Santana and Rob Thomas. "Smooth" was my anthem back in the day...It was popular during my 3.5 day road trip/move from Ohio to Texas...Rob's voice and Carlo's playing are just perfection. I was alone in the car and l spent most of my time surfing the radio dial to find it. Thanks for telling me about the new "Move"! Finding it on the internet now is so much easier!

My son sent me a “rehearsal” video - can’t remember if it was You Tube; I think it is better, in a way, than the final cut. Not as polished, pretty raw. I don’t know the name of the other singer (the one who is not Rob Thomas) - but even sweating it out, his hair is still absolutely fabulous. And there are two drummers - one is a female! Meeka should have her on.

• Love 1

Haven't had a lot of time to check all the boards this week but now I'm stuck here as a new water heater and water softener are being installed...I wanted to mention something kind of ironic: Got a bunch of novels from the library and opened a random one the other night...starts off with a woman dressing for her first day at a law firm, with her sleepy husband watching Morning Joe; She tries to get his attention by stomping her nude heel into the floor to ask if she looked professional...he says she looks sexy...does any of this sound familiar?! I checked the title of the book: The Boys Club! So many similarities to the show and the characters! Needless to say, this book was wasn't for me and back it goes. Just kind of funny.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Regarding Newt's marriages compared to Joe's.  I don't know much about Joe's because .... I have no idea why. But legend has it that Newt served his first wife with divorce papers when she was in the hospital recovering from cancer surgery.  Legend also has it that he cheated on Wife #2 with Wife #3.  The Vatican one.  One of the paramours-turned-wife helped him with research on one of his books.  Do not know if it was 2 or 3.  What I can't figure out is the appeal of this pig-eyed, bombastic, humorless, irritating ass.  Newt, not Joe. 

1 hour ago, Kemper said:

Regarding Newt's marriages compared to Joe's.  I don't know much about Joe's because .... I have no idea why. But legend has it that Newt served his first wife with divorce papers when she was in the hospital recovering from cancer surgery.  Legend also has it that he cheated on Wife #2 with Wife #3.  The Vatican one.  One of the paramours-turned-wife helped him with research on one of his books.  Do not know if it was 2 or 3.  What I can't figure out is the appeal of this pig-eyed, bombastic, humorless, irritating ass.  Newt, not Joe. 

I remember when Newt got mad at John King from CNN brought up Newt's affair at a Presidential primary debate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-gnWKiM4Y8

Luckily for John, he didn't disclose his separation from Dana Bash until 2 months after this debate.

At the time there were rumors that King was spending too much time with the CNN magic wall which he uses on election night to show election results from various counties or states.

Dana got tired of John telling her election results from the 1990's in various counties.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2118113/CNN-anchors-John-King-Dana-Bash-split-years-marriage.html

Edited by oakville
  • LOL 1

I was listening to a station on Serius Radio on my way to meet a friend for lunch. They were relaying a story about a passenger on Delta Airlines. It seems a woman got onboard with a cat carrier and a baby wrapped in blankets. I am sure you can guess where this is going. During the flight either alert passengers or the flight attendant noticed that the woman was breastfeeding a cat. The cat howling was probably a dead giveaway. It was apparently one of those hairless cats; and it had been wrapped in the blankets, masquerading as a baby.  The radio hosts were hysterical, making comments and laughing. I laughed so hard my stomach hurt; it was the radio people making the jokes that made it even funnier than the actual story.

I was in the parking lot when I listened, so was still laughing when I entered the restaurant. The hostess wanted to know what was so funny; she started laughing, took me to my table; bartender and other wait staff wanted to know why we were laughing. They actually sat at the table and joined in the merriment; I was early for our lunch and was feeling festive. 11:15 is a bit early for gin, so I ordered a mimosa and Fried Green Tomatoes to tide me over til friend got there. When she did, the waiter was still laughing and told friend part of the story. When I regaled her, she ordered a mimosa and we kept laughing hysterically. We ate the FGT and ordered. The waiter was gorgeous, sported a ponytail,  had lived in London County, Va (where friend is from); he was tall, had tattoos, was a Washington Capitals fan. We ordered more mimosas. We were “ at lunch” for over two hours. Laughed and laughed, talked and talked. And flirted with the waiter. He didn’t seem to mind having a couple of women in their mid-70’s acting like our old college selves. The thing is - this was the most I have felt like myself since Mr. Kemper passed away. It felt so good to laugh like that again with a friend. We lost our other “bestie” a couple of weeks ago so took the opportunity today to lift our glasses to her. Maybe getting back to normal a bit. Whatever normal is. Cheers.

Edited by Kemper
Changed paragraph, corrected spelling error
  • Love 10
4 hours ago, Kemper said:

I was listening to a station on Serius Radio on my way to meet a friend for lunch. They were relaying a story about a passenger on Delta Airlines. It seems a woman got onboard with a cat carrier and a baby wrapped in blankets. I am sure you can guess where this is going. During the flight either alert passengers or the flight attendant noticed that the woman was breastfeeding a cat. The cat howling was probably a dead giveaway. It was apparently one of those hairless cats; and it had been wrapped in the blankets, masquerading as a baby.  The radio hosts were hysterical, making comments and laughing. I laughed so hard my stomach hurt; it was the radio people making the jokes that made it even funnier than the actual story.

I was in the parking lot when I listened, so was still laughing when I entered the restaurant. The hostess wanted to know what was so funny; she started laughing, took me to my table; bartender and other wait staff wanted to know why we were laughing. They actually sat at the table and joined in the merriment; I was early for our lunch and was feeling festive. 11:15 is a bit early for gin, so I ordered a mimosa and Fried Green Tomatoes to tide me over til friend got there. When she did, the waiter was still laughing and told friend part of the story. When I regaled her, she ordered a mimosa and we kept laughing hysterically. We ate the FGT and ordered. The waiter was gorgeous, sported a ponytail,  had lived in London County, Va (where friend is from); he was tall, had tattoos, was a Washington Capitals fan. We ordered more mimosas. We were “ at lunch” for over two hours. Laughed and laughed, talked and talked. And flirted with the waiter. He didn’t seem to mind having a couple of women in their mid-70’s acting like our old college selves. The thing is - this was the most I have felt like myself since Mr. Kemper passed away. It felt so good to laugh like that again with a friend. We lost our other “bestie” a couple of weeks ago so took the opportunity today to lift our glasses to her. Maybe getting back to normal a bit. Whatever normal is. Cheers.

OMG i'm dying, this is a gorgeous story, Kemper!! 

You and your friend should literally do that at least once a week, life is too damn short. also in college I worked a couple of shitty restaurant jobs and stuff and the badass customers with a sense of humor are the absolute best, at all times, at all ages. When they were in a good mood they would literally brighten *our* day and they wouldn't even know it. happiness is so infectious.

So if nothing else you gotta go back and cheer up ponytail! guy!  

thank god this shitshow is maybe possibly finally coming to an end. wishing everyone a wonderful weekend!

Edited by neona2
  • Love 2
15 hours ago, Kemper said:

I just read my Cat post; our waiter was from Loudon County, Va, not London.  Sorry.  We all discussed Northern Virginia traffic.

It's the worst!  I work in Tysons Corner, a/k/a The Seventh Circle of Hill.  Really, the worst. 

• Love 4
17 hours ago, Kemper said:

I just read my Cat post; our waiter was from Loudon County, Va, not London.  Sorry.  We all discussed Northern Virginia traffic.

Actually, it's Loudoun.  We Northern Virginians are used to the misspelling though. 😉

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

Actually, it's Loudoun.  We Northern Virginians are used to the misspelling though. 😉

Crashcourse...you are so right!! We lived in Northern Virginia from 1970 til 1996.  Long enough to remember when they used to call 395 "the mixing bowl" - near The Pentagon - because so many lanes converged.  I also remember when Loudoun County was mostly rural.

• Love 2

I watched Nicole Wallace for a bit today ... and guess who she had on ... at the SAME time? Clint Watts and Nick Confessori!  Swoon.  Just me?  There was another guy on who was nice-looking, I guess; but who would notice with the other two having So Much Pretty.  Nick C resembles Mr. Kemper in Mr. K's younger days; he got even better when the gray came into his hair and beard; so I will fasten my seatbelt waiting for Nick C to age.   

• LOL 6

Whoa, whoa, whoa! Check out Mika's Instagram. Pictures and videos with her ex, Jim, showing off his rehab of an old factory in his hometown! It was a marvelous project, I've watched his progress on his Insta, but never ever thought I'd see her interviewing him ("her children's father"). She seems to be plugging a certain band that will play there Friday...not Joe's, sadly...but he may have something to do with it. This was nice but quite unexpected!

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I put this here per the mod's request last week.

Kemper wrote:

"I am not trying to be a wet blanket about this…but.  Is there that much of a huge public interest in Forbes “50 over 50” campaign? There apparently is a “30 over 30” list, too. I understand the drive behind it; and I admire any woman who “makes it” in her chosen field; the acknowledgment is well-earned. But for an entire network to push this, to have it be such a huge part of any of their shows, actually amazes me."

I agree, Kemper. The whole thing reminds me of "{Your city here} Best Doctors/Lawyers/Dentists" lists that come out periodically...IMO it's a pay to play game. I actually know it was in a place we once lived where the local paper solicited dentists for the list...they could be on it if they contributed to a scholarship fund or made a donation to some cause...my now-retired dentist husband just rolled his eyes and ripped up the application every year. I wonder if, in this case, the women's employers, sponsors, families, whomever, contribute to Forbes for the recognition? And that MSNBC pays a bounty to be part of it? I just read a book from the former editor of Real Simple magazine, Kristin van Ogtrop, (Did I Say that Out Loud?---great read, BTW) where she mentioned in her bio that Fortune magazine named her one of the "55 Most Influential Women on Twitter"...so every media company seems to use this as a tool to snag readers. It's kind of sad that MSNBC is so tied up in this stunt...and, of course, that Mika is the face of it. What a farce. (Not a follower of Andrea Mitchell but I give her credit for not using her husband's fame/notoriety to promote herself.)

• Love 5

Four hours. Four hours! Isn’t this historic? Has anyone in tv history ever hosted a daily four-hour show? And is this being reported and talked about in newspapers and news outlets anywhere besides Mediaite? Not that I don’t believe that it is true. Four hours of The Twins.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Kemper said:

Four hours. Four hours! Isn’t this historic? Has anyone in tv history ever hosted a daily four-hour show?

I haven't watched network daytime shows (nor evening news shows) in probably 30 years but I think the Today show is a 4 hour block these days. Perhaps they'll call it MJ but divide it into hour long blocks, say for politics, sports, KYV (ugh) or something similar. Like going to Saks or Nordstrom's...big name store  but made up of little designers' boutiques. News magazines of unwatchable length. I haven't seen any other references to it, either...but then it is MJ. Their audience is tiny and the show is really not worth reporting on.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, plumbago blues said:

I haven't watched network daytime shows (nor evening news shows) in probably 30 years but I think the Today show is a 4 hour block these days. Perhaps they'll call it MJ but divide it into hour long blocks, say for politics, sports, KYV (ugh) or something similar. Like going to Saks or Nordstrom's...big name store  but made up of little designers' boutiques. News magazines of unwatchable length. I haven't seen any other references to it, either...but then it is MJ. Their audience is tiny and the show is really not worth reporting on.

The Today show is 4 hours, but they have enough people to swap out different combinations of hosts and different sets for each of the last two hours. It’s not like two people doing 4 hours from a bunker in Florida.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Rickster said:

The Today show is 4 hours, but they have enough people to swap out different combinations of hosts and different sets for each of the last two hours. It’s not like two people doing 4 hours from a bunker in Florida.

I can`t see Mika & Joe doing 4 hour live. Joe usually disappears around 7:30 am to take his son to school. They are doing a live segment at 8 am in the last few weeks.

• Love 2
On 1/30/2022 at 12:20 PM, oakville said:

I can`t see Mika & Joe doing 4 hour live. Joe usually disappears around 7:30 am to take his son to school. They are doing a live segment at 8 am in the last few weeks.

Maybe they started doing a live segment at 8 when they were in contract negotiations. It’s possible that it was a stipulation on the network’s part.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Kemper said:

Maybe they started doing a live segment at 8 when they were in contract negotiations. It’s possible that it was a stipulation on the network’s part.

I believe they have signed a new contract which forces them to be live at 8 AM. The new emphasis on sports is trying to appeal to casual viewers.

I don't know if Morning Joe will be broadcast in Canada for the next few weeks while the Olympics is on. In the past, our state broadcaster, the CBC which has the TV Olympic contract does not allow the MSNBC feed. It's bizarre but I hope that the others on the forum will keep me up to date with the latest antics of Mika & Joe.

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, oakville said:

I believe they have signed a new contract which forces them to be live at 8 AM. The new emphasis on sports is trying to appeal to casual viewers.

Oakville - keen observation! I do think sports talk could pull in some casual viewers. But. “Sports talk” is just that….talking about sports in general, sports making  news ( athletes or coaches behaving badly) or when sports makes serious national news. But casual viewers would not tune in for 10 minutes or more of Red Sox/box seat observations…20 minutes of soccer…etc.  Rich political guys over sharing their fandom. Hard pass.

• Love 2

There was mention in the Discussion thread about Joe’s hair. I think his “style” has purposely gone to Old Sage of the network. The Twins’ longevity in the early morning news shows was mentioned in that fawning piece yesterday on Mediaite. 

The network has handed Joe a lot of power.  The Twins are basically selecting the supporting cast and the way the show will look and sound. This would seem to be much more than any other cable host on any news outlet. Take that Rachel M! The  “regulars” will do the heavy lifting. He will appear and pontificate with his pearls of wisdom. The hair says it all. Whew. Took me awhile to get there.

Mediaite touched on how The Twins have been able to keep up with the grueling early morning pace for all these years. Taking time off. 😁

Edited by Kemper
Added paragraph
  • Love 2

Maybe the network just keeps them on, and rewards them with an extra hour😖because no one else wants that slot? It was entertaining and lively in the beginning, when it focused more on "fresh" news and popular culture and provided competition to Fox, etc., but then it turned into a dreary rehashing of political analysis...all of which is usually analyzed to death the night before. Maybe the network doesn't want to waste money on new, younger, and more vibrant talent (Bye, Kasey) and bright, new sets in favor of the billions they're deploying to Peacock? Unless they really amp up the spontaneity and vitality, why would anyone really want to play Hollywood Squares with a bunch of old fogeys? (I take no offense as I am one myself!) It would be quite a PR job to start over and pump some life into this "Iconic" platform. Perhaps not worth it to MSNBC now...maybe MJ will just be a place holder til they find a break-out star or two on Peacock and then bring them over? Meanwhile, I'll continue my boycott.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, plumbago blues said:

Maybe the network just keeps them on, and rewards them with an extra hour😖because no one else wants that slot? It was entertaining and lively in the beginning, when it focused more on "fresh" news and popular culture and provided competition to Fox, etc., but then it turned into a dreary rehashing of political analysis...all of which is usually analyzed to death the night before. Maybe the network doesn't want to waste money on new, younger, and more vibrant talent (Bye, Kasey) and bright, new sets in favor of the billions they're deploying to Peacock? Unless they really amp up the spontaneity and vitality, why would anyone really want to play Hollywood Squares with a bunch of old fogeys? (I take no offense as I am one myself!) It would be quite a PR job to start over and pump some life into this "Iconic" platform. Perhaps not worth it to MSNBC now...maybe MJ will just be a place holder til they find a break-out star or two on Peacock and then bring them over? Meanwhile, I'll continue my boycott.

I would have to look up Morning Joe's ratings during from 2008-2012, but Joe did get get a bonus for the show achieving ratings above 300k per day. Joe donated part of his bonus to Mika with the approval of his then wife Susan . They get between 700-800K now, so the network must believe that they can make money paying Mika & Joe between $15-$30M per year.

• Love 1

Oakville - you could speak to this much better than I can because I have a hard time interpreting ratings. It is odd that the 2 to 3 hour shows are broken down to a cumulative total rating (in the thousands) for MJ and Deadline White House; but are listed hour-by-hour for CNN. And MJs ratings have shot up; as have CNNs. 

But in the all-important “younger” demo, CNN is killing it. All across every hour it is besting MSNBC in most every time slot. I would think this does not bode well for MSNBC in the future because younger viewers seem to be more interested in straight (ish) news rather than personality driven news.

• Love 1

MJs ratings have gone up since the Ukraine tragedy started unfolding; as have all the networks. The really interesting thing is that CNN has been killing it in the 25 something to 60 something demos from 9 to 4;  sometimes the gap is shocking. They even bested MJ a couple of times.  This should be worrying to a network that is spending many millions on expanding MJ and apparently no other daytime programming. Joe is truly king of the MSNBC castle.

Edited by Kemper
Spelling
  • Love 2

Mika just said from next week they're gonna be four hours ---> still there's literally no news about the fourth hour? Do you guys have any tea?

I have to leave the house at 9 so for me what I really really want is an actual real 8 am hour instead of the boring repeat stuff. Right now it's like 15 min live, then 20 min some boring Sky news or other package, which in itself is good but not why I watch this show? Then at about 8.20 they do a 20 mins repeat of the 8 a.m. hour that everyone has already seen. So can they plz move that boring repeat shit to the 9 a.m. hour and give us real MJ content and discussion in the 8 a.m. hour??? If they do that really I don't care what they do in the 9 a.m. hour when I'm at work. it's pretty nuts that they asked for a fourth hour when it's always been a fact that they don't wanna be present in the third 🥴

aggh. I just read that Craig Melvin is leaving. Can't they just put us all out of our misery and re-hire Kasie Hunt???? The BBC rehired Katty. I wanted to watch Kasie's new thingy but you have to subscribe and it's like $5.99 a month. Who the hell launches a new streaming service without making it free for a couple of months?? are they insane? I looked it up on youtube and they've released a 1-minute clip of Kasie, which gave no indication of what her show is gonna be.

And then they released like 30 min of Anderson Cooper's new show, and about 60% of it is him, talking on zoom with some other lady. Yes let's all pay to watch two people zoom each other! I am so mad that we all stayed inside for two years just to re-emerge in this zoom world where old people have decided they don't wanna go out and contribute to society, ever again, and then complain about it. they promised us new roaring 20s and all we get is higher ups on screens screens screens

• Love 2

I just saw the Monday ratings.  MJ will do fine at the 9:00 hour; because that hour almost always beats CNN. But I noticed that CNN beat them in the “demos”; actually CNN beat them in demos for the four-hour time period in total. 

• Love 1

Hey, Oakville. Congrats on a thriller of a game last night! The opening ceremony was so touching and the joy of the city welcoming back their team was overwhelming! We tested you for awhile but I'm glad you were able to fight back...the win was deserved. Hope this cheered your family up a bit. 

• Love 1

https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/21/media/cnn-shutting-down/index.html

*sigh* so NOW can they hire Kasie back?? We all knew this was gonna happen because the whole CNN+ thing was so damn terrible. And so unnecessarily badly rolled out. And we all literally said so. It's like hey, here's a product for the internet! people! but also, let's not listen to what the internet! people! have to say about what they like, what they want, what their interests are and their actual practical needs are in terms of technology *cries*

But but msnbc lost Rachel and Brian in ridiculous ways....so for the love of god, after all of this, can we please have Kasie Hunt back?? 

Edited by neona2
  • Love 1
On 4/21/2022 at 11:36 AM, neona2 said:

But but msnbc lost Rachel and Brian in ridiculous ways....so for the love of god, after all of this, can we please have Kasie Hunt back?? 

Unless her contract specifies she had to be given a show, isn't she still under contract to CNN?

Rachel had the right not to come back, but I am mad at her for nixing Keith Olbermann as her replacement. 

• Love 3

I understand a lot of people wanting Kasie Hunt back; but I assume she is still under contract to CNN.  MSNBC “underuses” some of the on-air personnel they already have. Giving Joe S and his minions another hour effectively prevented someone more deserving of a show. At least Kasie could handle Breaking News.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Question about the Supreme Court decision about roe vs wade. My understanding is that it now is up to states to make their laws. So if a state makes a abortion ban law now can it be repealed under a different legislature? Would the laws be constantly changed?

• Useful 1

What are your thoughts about the new CNN line-up? I don't watch either channel (MSNBC/CNN) hardly at all so I don't know how to judge this. Is Chris Licht putting a knife in MJ's back? I was a bit surprised not to see Kasie as a co-host since she has early a.m. experience. Hmmm.

• Love 1