Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Cup O' Joe

Dagny

Please remember that the Small Talk thread does not allow for the conversations that violate the Primetimer Politics Rule.

• Start Topic

Morning Joe is a weekday morning talk show on MSNBC, with Joe Scarborough discussing the news of the day in a panel format.

TWOP is shutting down and we're trying to find new homes to rant.

• Love 1

I caught that segment today and I was kind of astonished...in a good way. Usually, they mock MJ in kind of a lighthearted, "we're all friends here" way. But this one was just deliciously vicious. And after yesterday's cat antics, it was well deserved!

• Love 1

I just watched the cat thing, and that was fucking surreal.  Also, the cat looked drugged.

The Daily Show could've been much much meaner, but I doubt Samantha Bee's writers ever really sit through the show frequently enough to have the healthy loathing of it we all have.  Familiarity breeds a special kind of contempt.  They didn't even show the Russell Brand shit storm or Mika's catalog of unfomfortable failures.

The Samantha Bee Daily Show segment about this show was a thing of beauty. I keep trying to explain to my parents how ridiculous this show is but they still love it. I wonder if they hate watch it and won't admit it because they are very intelligent people. I feel like we will be racing to grab as many things about each show from TWOP like the Russell Brand segment from this show for the next two months so they won't disappear forever.

• Love 1

Hellooo, Stafford! Had to go back to my Phil hartman/The Sinatra Group avatar. As we all know, MJ is essentially The SInatra Group. Mika and the mindless minions are like Steve Lawrence and Eydie Gormet.

http://snltranscripts.jt.org/90/90ksinatra.phtml

Frank Sinatra: You don't know what censored is, junior. Censored is being dumped by Columbia because Mitch Miller doesn't like the way your career is going. It's having million-dollar pipes and nowhere to play 'em. Am I right, Steve and Eydie?

Steve Lawrence: Yes, you are, Frank.

Eydie Gorme: Absolutely, Frank.

Generally, recaps are part of the general discussion I guess. Our main recapper, Oakville, has been busy lately. Trust me, it's a thankless job. Think Andy Dufrense crawling through 500 yard of shit-smelling foulness. I vote just based on who I like or don't like. There's no real set crtieria of how a person votes in the Survivor Game. Even if you've seen the show only a handful of times, you still come away with stark views on the show's main players. Thinking on it, it's kind of apt that MJ now has a survivor game being how it's become more of a reality show now.

• Love 1

My question was should the small talk thread be for general discussion outside of what is on the show and a separate thread be created for discussing and re-capping the actual show?

I vote we stick with the two threads for now...as we get more people we might want to revisit. But this way we all get cozy in one place, plus a separate place for our game.

In keeping with the rules about the small talk threads for each show I'm going to create a thread for show discussion and let this thread be for media mentions of the show in other places and a place for everyone to chat about politics in general. Also, I will move the survivor game posts to that thread if they weren't already replicated there.

If someone here wants to create a catchy title for a show discussion only thread go right ahead. My creative juices are dead today.

(edited)

Well now that the TWoP forums (fora?) are gone for good, I will say that I won't miss the overbearing moderation over there. I was banned on the day they announced they were shutting down and everyone was sort of in shock. Someone posted in a show thread a sort of "where will we go now" question, only to have the moderator tell them they were posting in an inappropriate place - to which I replied "for Pete's sake, TWoP Nikita, ease up!" For those few words, I was instantaneously BANNED! I couldn't even say a proper goodbye. It seemed petty and harsh to me - what do y'all think?

Edited by captain1
  • Love 1

Captin1, my post was deleted immediately after the TWoP closing announcement and I got a stern warning from the moderator because I lightly (or so I thought) criticized Bravo/NBC (I think I said something to the effect that NBC must be spending their money on more orange paint). I think the TWoP Mods were worried about keeping their job until the end of May. In fairness to the Mods the one Mod that gave me a warning did warn us not to criticize the Sponsor networks.

I don't envy the moderator's job and I'm very sorry that they lost their jobs. I do think some mods are more strict than others. I've noticed some show forums on Previously TV are locked so I'm assuming some caution still applies to stay on topic and not to attack others views. I hate reading comment sections of other websites when the whole thread is taken up with "You're an idiot" followed by "No, you're an idiot". I'd much rather read "Joe said blah, blah, blah and he's acting like an idiot".

I'm sorry you couldn't say your goodbyes. It was sad today when I clicked on TWoP and saw the website closed but I think most of the regulars have joined PTV and I'm grateful we have a place to continue our discussions. Thank you PTV.

• Love 1

I confess I'm interested in hearing Joe's take on the media's take on the right wing's take that it's the soldier's fault he was kidnapped for 5 years and Obama is a criminal for managing his release.

How fucking INSANE is the world that this is how this topic is now framed?

• Love 1

The Small Talk topic is for:

• Introductions
  • Off-topic chatter
  • Having virtual tea with forum buddies

This is NOT a topic for actual show discussion. When you want to talk about the show:

1. Figure out the nature of the topic you want to talk about
  2. Look for an existing topic that matches or fits
  3. If there is NOT an existing topic that fits, CREATE ONE!

Examples of topics that populate show forums include (but by no means are limited to):

• Character topics
  • Episode topics
  • Season topics
  • Spoiler topics
  • Speculation topics
  • In the Media topics
  • Favourite X topics
  • ...you get the idea

Happy trails beyond Small Talk!

There's no omnibus catchall MSNBC forum on previously.tv, so I'm bequeathing Morning Joe with this marvelously no-self-awareness tweet by the Dauphin about Robin Williams. From breezily dismissing his babysitter "who could barely speak English" and reminding us how young he is to have such a prominent job, it is perfect Little Lord Fauntleroy:

https://mobile.twitter.com/LukeRussert/status/498972571115601920

The catchall MSNBC forum is here. http://forums.previously.tv/topic/3523-msnbc-the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly/?view=getnewpost

Gawd, that tweet really shows how fatuous he is, doesn't it.

You all have missed Fox News

I wouldn't necessarily say "missed".  Joe fills enough of my outrage shot glass that I want to deal with on a daily basis.  When someone says something outrageous on Fox, I think "of course they said it, why wouldn't you say something inappropriate or outrageous."

• Love 2

Well, this is funny. I flipped channels this morning and came across a Match Game rerun from the late 1970s on GSN featuring frequent Morning Joe guest Donnie Deutsch, fresh out of UPenn and rocking a righteous 'fro.

• Love 1

Response to convo in MJ thread:

There is already some tit-for-tat happening between countries who don't agree with another country's policies.

For instance, just try, as a US citizen, to get into Canada if you have ever had a DUI. My understanding is this was done as a response to US not allowing entry to people from Canada, and other countries, who have a marijuana violation. I believe Great Britain has also complained about that.

I could imagine a country could decide that they don't want anyone in their country who has violated a gun law. Or has a penchant for assault rifles. 

Probably not likely but...

• Love 1

While in Buffalo for a work trip earlier in the year a coworker and I drove across to the Falls one night (crossing at the Peace Bridge, for those who know the area) and we presented our passports and were asked standard questions.  The entire exchange took about two minutes. 

(edited)
3 hours ago, arejay said:

Wait, there is time at a border crossing to check the driving records of a person trying to see the Falls from the Canadian side?

1 hour ago, MyAimIsTrue said:

While in Buffalo for a work trip earlier in the year a coworker and I drove across to the Falls one night (crossing at the Peace Bridge, for those who know the area) and we presented our passports and were asked standard questions.  The entire exchange took about two minutes. 

Was one of the "standard" questions, Have you ever been convicted of a crime? If you responded that you did have a dui (considered a criminal offense) it would be up to the Canadian customs/immigration person whether to allow entry. If you had a dui and answered "no" they would in all probability turn you away. Some say a dui in the last 10 years is okay for entry but it is up to the border entry official. 

This [url=https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g153339-c49436/Canada:Dwi.Or.Dui.Driving.Convictions.html] page of info[/url] from TripAdvisor covers it quite well.

If you have had a dui and you're considering more than a quick jaunt you should also consider having this kind of Canadian law firm straighten things out.

Been there done that^^^^^ Husband had 2 DUIs 35 years ago. Takes about 6 months and $1500. 

From the US Customs and Border Control.

Edited by NewDigs
Tried to fix top link.
12 minutes ago, NewDigs said:

Was one of the "standard" questions, Have you ever been convicted of a crime?

No, they pretty much just asked us where we were going and where we were from.  Maybe crime questions are asked randomly?  Don't get me wrong, having lost a family member to a drunk driver I think it's an interesting move by Canada but we had a different experience at the border, that's all.

• Love 1

My understanding is that they've had to really lighten up on some of the more "day-trippy" crossings but even then you take a chance on who's actually asking the questions. Some entry people can be real hardasses.

We were doing a pretty major trip (Winnipeg to Churchill and back via train) and didn't want to take chances. And I still wouldn't. We have Canadian friends w/ tales  and many a MN fisherman has been denied car-entry.

I am also quite certain that their clamp down on dui entries was in response to Canadian citizens being denied entry to the US because of marijuana issues.  The US treats marijuana users more harshly than many countries. I have even heard complaints from UK people. Often it's businesses trying to send temporary workers into the US so sometimes they don't even try.

I was traveling to Canada with a co-worker who had a DUI and they turned him away at the border.

Canada is surprisingly difficult to enter anyway. I have to go there for work a few times a year, and invariably, no matter how prepared I am with a letter of invitation from my client, I get dragged off into that hot little room and interrogated as to whether I am there to steal a Canadian citizen's job.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, cased said:

Here's a new article about Joe.

http://www.gq.com/story/joe-scarborough-has-big-dreams-trump-musical

it's long, and it contains weeks worth of discussion material. What's interesting, is that Joe (and Mika) were interviewed for the article, but parts of it are far from complimentary. I'm guessing, this is not exactly the article that Joe was expecting. 

Wow. I know Joe has an oversized ego but he's freaking delusional!

'Finally, he gave me his scoop. "I'm working on a musical," he said. "It's Trump: The Musical. ... "It's actually Hamilton meets The Book of Mormon," Scarborough gushed, pitching his conceit for the comic romp. With Brzezinski egging him on,...'

''Scarborough left others with the impression that he believed Trump was seriously entertaining the idea of tapping him as his running mate. "When he was in his 'Love Trump' phase," says one person familiar with Scarborough's thinking during this period, "he thought he could or should be Trump's veep."'

'That one man's president is another man's "influencer"—"It might as well be called Morning Delusions of Grandeur," quips one of Scarborough's former colleagues—'

'For years, Scarborough complained—bitterly in private and not even all that cryptically in public—about the network's lefty slant. But since Andy Lack retook the reins of NBC News last year, he's demoted or jettisoned many of the more ideologically driven MSNBC hosts—from Al Sharpton to Ed Schultz to Melissa Harris-Perry. At the same time, Lack has elevated hosts like Chuck Todd, Andrea Mitchell, and Halperin and John Heilemann—or, as Brzezinski described them to me, "our people"'

'As he ambled down a Cleveland street toward the arena, he was surrounded by a scrum of three security guards, a Morning Joeproducer who doubles as his Boy Friday, his "chief of staff," an MSNBC publicist, and his personal photographer. When Scarborough would approach a curb, one of his security guys would helpfully caution, "Step."

Scarborough's gaggle of attendants is the source of much amusement inside and outside NBC. "Matt Lauer is a $25 million-a-year broadcaster and he doesn't have any of the accoutrements Joe has," notes one news executive. "It's like he's the King of Liechtenstein."'

And these are just a couple of the many highlights of the article. It's a fairly quick eyerolly read.

And I'm agreeing that this not exactly the article Joe was expecting. 

He's probably on the phone to GC now. Wonder if he's Tums or Maalox.

Edited by NewDigs
  • Love 5

Left out a good one:

'About the only instance in recent years in which Scarborough didn't get his way with Griffin, according to two sources, was when the host, after searching for his name on the Internet and being displeased with the results, demanded that the network president "call Google" to fix it. Griffin had to inform Scarborough that, alas, Google's search algorithms were beyond his control.'

• Love 4
38 minutes ago, NewDigs said:

Wow. I know Joe had an oversized ego but he's freaking delusional!

'Finally, he gave me his scoop. "I'm working on a musical," he said. "It's Trump: The Musical. ... "It's actually Hamilton meets The Book of Mormon," Scarborough gushed, pitching his conceit for the comic romp. With Brzezinski egging him on,...'

''Scarborough left others with the impression that he believed Trump was seriously entertaining the idea of tapping him as his running mate. "When he was in his 'Love Trump' phase," says one person familiar with Scarborough's thinking during this period, "he thought he could or should be Trump's veep."'

'That one man's president is another man's "influencer"—"It might as well be called Morning Delusions of Grandeur," quips one of Scarborough's former colleagues—'

'For years, Scarborough complained—bitterly in private and not even all that cryptically in public—about the network's lefty slant. But since Andy Lack retook the reins of NBC News last year, he's demoted or jettisoned many of the more ideologically driven MSNBC hosts—from Al Sharpton to Ed Schultz to Melissa Harris-Perry. At the same time, Lack has elevated hosts like Chuck Todd, Andrea Mitchell, and Halperin and John Heilemann—or, as Brzezinski described them to me, "our people"'

'As he ambled down a Cleveland street toward the arena, he was surrounded by a scrum of three security guards, a Morning Joeproducer who doubles as his Boy Friday, his "chief of staff," an MSNBC publicist, and his personal photographer. When Scarborough would approach a curb, one of his security guys would helpfully caution, "Step."

Scarborough's gaggle of attendants is the source of much amusement inside and outside NBC. "Matt Lauer is a $25 million-a-year broadcaster and he doesn't have any of the accoutrements Joe has," notes one news executive. "It's like he's the King of Liechtenstein."'

And these are just a couple of the many highlights of the article. It's a fairly quick eyerolly read.

And I'm agreeing that this not exactly the article Joe was expecting. 

He's probably on the phone to GC now. Wonder if he's Tums or Maalox.

OMG! I have to read this article. I never knew that Joe had an entourage!

• Love 3

What a well-written article! Quite subtly brings across Joe and Mika's affair, his general d-baggery (and how its known to one and all at MSNBC) and his delusions of grandeur. Even listening to his "musical" without comment (except for the lyrics) lets us in on the joke that is Joe.

I really liked this part: "'As he ambled down a Cleveland street toward the arena, he was surrounded by a scrum of three security guards, a Morning Joeproducer who doubles as his Boy Friday, his "chief of staff," an MSNBC publicist, and his personal photographer. When Scarborough would approach a curb, one of his security guys would helpfully caution, "Step." "

"Step".  lol.  But shouldn't there be a "sir" in there somewhere?  I wonder how closely Joe's break with Trump coincided with the realization that he would never be asked to be his vice-president.  What an ego!  (And he doesn't know Trump as well as total strangers do if he thinks he would EVER let Joe use his name in a musical--not unless he approved the book, the songs, took none of the risk and kept all of the money!)

• Love 5