Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Cup O' Joe

Dagny

Please remember that the Small Talk thread does not allow for the conversations that violate the Primetimer Politics Rule.

• Start Topic

I remember all those clips and the drama that followed. Didn't the Vanity Fair or New York mag article with the infamous Mika on the table with her legs in the air next to Mr. Smug McSquinty appear at about that time, too? It was all in such poor taste for a national "news" show. They were obviously in their cat and mouse flirty period and it was nauseating. Those antics can't be erased from viewers' collective memories and thus makes it hard to take anything they say or do now seriously. Mika's attempt to redeem herself with all this feminist power shit is a joke. A "strong" woman would not have the video resume she does.

• Love 3
(edited)
On 4/3/2020 at 8:40 AM, suomi said:

Joe, however, operates from a [more] passive-aggressive place. There’s an anger in him that he denies but can’t quite hide from view. 

This section of the article really nails Joe's demeanor.  He acts pissy whether he thinks so or not.  There are days when he just glares into the camera and he seems so worked up and ready to go off.

Edited by nittanycougar
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, nittanycougar said:

This section of the article really nails Joe's demeanor.  He acts pissy whether he thinks so or not.  There are days when he just glares into the camera and he seems so worked up and ready to go off.

Joe takes himself far too seriously. He is very thin skinned. He can't tolerate any public criticism of his comments.

I used to enjoy the show more when Joe allowed guests with opinions different than his on the show to have a debate.

• Love 6

Friendly reminder that statements like, "He who shall not be named" and other subtle shade that alludes to, but doesn't invoke the name "Donald Trump." do not require a decoder ring to figure out who you're talking about. It still falls under the Politics rule and it's still not allowed.

I saw Mika's selfie on her instagram yesterday showing off her new (virus) facial masks with Joe's daughter and her friend's daughter. Of course, Mika being Mika, she had the mask so low it barely covered nostrils and all her fans got to point that out to her. Sweet. I think she added more pictures today with the mask fitting appropriately. She's a piece of work. What 50 something year old woman would tag her post with "girlsaresmarterthanboys"? She is emotionally immature. Also, she was on during my 15 second drive by this morning and holey moley...that chest! Massive boobage today...like grandma nursed 12 babies boobage. Yikes.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
18 hours ago, plumbago blues said:

Also, she was on during my 15 second drive by this morning and holey moley...that chest! Massive boobage today...like grandma nursed 12 babies boobage. Yikes.

Yeah what is going on there? I noticed that on my drive by the last 2 days.

I know she has had a couple implant procedures you can tell from when she would wear tight tops, but now she looks like Mrs Weasley in Harry Potter. Those things are massive. 

The actress said they put little bags of bird seed in her bra to make her look like that. Maybe that's what Mika is doing?  

image.png.60165c9135ed576aeea46225c008a33f.png

• LOL 3

Getting back to the mask issue...are you guys wearing them? We haven't been to the store in a week and plan to venture out to heb and Costco today. We are both formerly medical people (I did public health nursing for years and the husband was a dentist) so we have a handful of masks leftover to use but over the weekend I searched for material to make the easy ones with rubber bands and fabric and went through all the closets looking for the right material. I came across a bag of my (late) Mother's cloth napkins and they work perfectly. (Nice tight weave and proper size.) But so bittersweet as her "scent" lingers...a mix of Arpege perfume and the smell of the linen closet of my childhood.. I tear up when I put it on. 

• Love 1

I made one out of a bandana I wear when I'm outside in the summer to protect my neck from sun, and a couple ponytail holders. 

I have to go to Trader Joe's later or tomorrow and I guess I'll wear it.  Altho they only allow a small number of people in the store at one time, and have spacing marked off for check out, so I'm not really concerned, but better safe...

• Love 1

There is a thread on the Young and the Restless forum called Who Needs To GTFO.  We can vote for who we want to see booted from the show (character, not actor/actress).  

I was thinking about the latest posts from those who watch the show regularly - and how it seems to be going off the rails just about everyday.  I don't know who I would vote off...the hosts?  Or the regulars first and then the hosts.  

If we go with the regulars I have a couple...David Ignatius (that artwork in his study was horrific)..Noah Rothman and John Podherez (I know, spelling; but it is a difficult name) although neither is on much anymore.  Susan Ferrico (again, I am tired and can't be bothered to look up her last name)..others that I can't remember.  Those should go before we get to the Donny D's and such.  I think this Virus has kept some of the guests off the show lately.  The lack of guests may be why Joe takes up even more time with his rants.  Which all just blend.

• Love 3

Hmmmm...who to kick off the panel?? The list is long, IMO. Katty Kay (or what's left of her...turning into Katty Katwoman with that face), Susan Del Percio who has zero personality and is so masculine looking that I had to look her up to see if she had transitioned and somehow that disturbs me (sorry if that offends), St. Ignatius, all the Palm Beach "experts", Rothman, Eugene Robinson, Barnicle (of course)...I'm sure there are others but these come to mind immediately. I watched for a few seconds this morning just as Mika was saying goodbye to Donnie...I think...was he on today looking like he just got of the shower with his hair all slicked back?! OMG. What a horrid look. Good thing I was clicking off.

I see that the NBC channels are running ads with snippets from their "stars" (Rachel, BriWi, et.al.) about staying home; did the dynamic duo tape a bit? Or were they too stressed? The show has just gone to hell.

• Love 5
On 4/6/2020 at 5:30 PM, plumbago blues said:

Also, she was on during my 15 second drive by this morning and holey moley...that chest! Massive boobage today...like grandma nursed 12 babies boobage. Yikes.

I have noticed the boobs lately.  It is impossible not to, since she keeps wearing tight tops to show the chest off. It's clearly a midlife crisis boob job. She could buy her tops a size bigger but chooses not to. 

Maybe she thinks the added sexy factor helps with Joe and also NBC.  Most networks marginalize female anchors and reporters who are over 50. 

Two exceptions are Elizabeth Palmer and Jane Pauley on CBS. I  can't think of any other 50-ish women on MSNBC besides Mika.

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, nittanycougar said:

I have noticed the boobs lately.  It is impossible not to, since she keeps wearing tight tops to show the chest off. It's clearly a midlife crisis boob job. She could buy her tops a size bigger but chooses not to. 

Maybe she thinks the added sexy factor helps with Joe and also NBC.  Most networks marginalize female anchors and reporters who are over 50. 

Two exceptions are Elizabeth Palmer and Jane Pauley on CBS. I  can't think of any other 50-ish women on MSNBC besides Mika.

Andrea Mitchell.  She may be boring and talk in a monotone; but she has been around forever.  And has probably earned her stripes; I don't know how much has to do with who her husband is; I don't think they were married when she first started out. Were they?

Her plastic surgeries look pretty good; the only time I noticed a huge change was when she appeared on-camera one day (a few years ago) and had that look of "perpetual surprise" (thanks Tony Kornheiser for that quote) - but it settled pretty quickly.  Plus I don't think she is going sleeveless ("Arms Mitchell") all that much anymore.  Maybe when the weather turns warm?  

• Love 4

Mika changed her wardrobe to accentuate her bosom around the time that Michael Avenatti was a guest on the show. He flirted with Mika & Joe got upset with him. Joe made a comment one day that he was familiar with Ms. Daniels film career. Mika said that she hadn't seen any of her movies.

• LOL 4
11 hours ago, xaxat said:

Alex Witt, Chris Jansing and Joy Reid. Rachel is 47.

Thanks, I did not realize the ages of Chris and Joy.  

I always get a kick out of Alex Witt.  She looks so bored and over everything.  For some reason, I find it hilarious.  Mika will probably get that slot when the show ends.

I feel like Andrea Mitchell is kept around out of respect for her glory days as a White House correspondent.  She is always getting confused and tripping over her words.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, nittanycougar said:

I feel like Andrea Mitchell is kept around out of respect for her glory days as a White House correspondent.  She is always getting confused and tripping over her words.

She also gets brain farts where for a moment or two there's dead silence, like she's trying to remember what she was going to say.

I really think she should retire.  Same thing with Eugene Robinson, who should just stick to writing columns.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, Ohwell said:

I really think she should retire.  Same thing with Eugene Robinson, who should just stick to writing columns.

Agree 100%. Management waits much too long to give the oldtimer's the boot...Look at Chris Matthews...I hated him but it was a shame he had to go out under such a black cloud. It could have been avoided had they been monitoring his behavior more closely. Larry OD is another that isn't aging well, IMO. Unwatchable. To say nothing of Tom Brokaw...OMG. (Actually maybe they DID get rid of him...can't remember when I last saw him.)

• Love 4
9 hours ago, plumbago blues said:

Compare the normal boob size in the picture above (with her I'm so sexy putting on lipstick pose) with those massive sacks of silicone we see on the show. Hmmm. 

Umm just from personal experience, these things really do vary depending on weight gain/weight loss and what type of bra is worn (if any). I mean I'm sure she had some work done at some point... but probably not in the last 1-2 years...

Either way I feel kind of uncomfortable...like I feel there are so very many substantive reasons to be dissatisfied with her professional performance. I just imagine one day some MSNBC executive will finally stumble upon this (easily searchable) forum, with all its deeply insightful, intelligent, legitimate criticisms...and dismiss all of the legitimate stuff because so much energy is spent on a woman's private decisions about her breasts and marriage. YMMV...just my two cents... it's not really a criticism, just a feeling that blending concerns about someone else's personal choices with issues of clear professional incompetence blurs lines in ways that are, on balance, unhelpful to most women...

• Love 3

I agree with the flavor of your post in general terms but she has attracted these observations by very publicly conducting herself in decidedly unprofessional ways for a prolonged period of time and, adding insult to injury, seeks financial gain by setting herself up as THE arbiter of how professional women should look, act and behave in the workplace.

I mean, sleeping with your married boss during numerous out of town trips and sharing a pied-a-terre for years while you are married and glorying in the resulting job security but then hectoring women about going for drinks after work with their co-workers deserves scrutiny, criticism and disdain. 

• Love 6
30 minutes ago, neona said:

I just imagine one day some MSNBC executive will finally stumble upon this (easily searchable) forum, with all its deeply insightful, intelligent, legitimate criticisms...and dismiss all of the legitimate stuff because so much energy is spent on a woman's private decisions about her breasts and marriage. YMMV...just my two cents...

I think the idea that an MSNBC exec would listen, much less care, to what a poor unpaid intern has to report about posts from an Internet forum, and then make decisions on that, is giving us too much credit. 😆 

Anyway, has anyone watched The Morning Show on Apple TV? 

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, XOQueens said:

I think the idea that an MSNBC exec would listen, much less care, to what a poor unpaid intern has to report about posts from an Internet forum, and then make decisions on that, is giving us too much credit. 😆 

Yeah, maybe not an exec. 😂  But let's be honest, probably one of their kids. I first stumbled upon this forum, very easily, by googling something simple like "morning joe mika brzezinski". I'm not saying humor or snark are bad, I'm just saying it's very very public, and the most nuanced feedback free of the old-fashioned sexist stuff is the feedback most likely to make a difference, both to the show and to our society as a whole... this is not a condemnation just a reminder... 

• Love 1
36 minutes ago, suomi said:

I agree with the flavor of your post in general terms but she has attracted these observations by very publicly conducting herself in decidedly unprofessional ways for a prolonged period of time and, adding insult to injury, seeks financial gain by setting herself up as THE arbiter of how professional women should look, act and behave in the workplace.

I agree with you about Know Your Value...but there's hardly a professional development program that DOESN'T seek financial gain by spouting unnecessary generalities. But yeah...her professional shortcomings are fairly evident to intelligent working women...which is kind of why the other stuff is so superfluous? I feel like I've known a lot of professional woman who've had pretty crazy personal lives and pretty flamboyant clothing tastes...who've done botox and bleach and whatnot... but whose professional conduct, in my opinion, has been BEYOND reproach..and I feel bad that the blurring of the lines here, ESPECIALLY attributing professional incompetence to sexuality, are a disadvantage to all those women... 

44 minutes ago, suomi said:

I mean, sleeping with your married boss during numerous out of town trips and sharing a pied-a-terre for years while you are married and glorying in the resulting job security but then hectoring women about going for drinks after work with their co-workers deserves scrutiny, criticism and disdain. 

There's also literally no evidence of any of this. It's conjecture. No one knows the timelines. I assume there was some infidelity, but the timing, circumstances etc have never been proven. People talk about non-Disclosure agreements that don't even exist in the public record. No one knows what went down, and when. No one knows what her relationship was with her ex (he might have been deceived.. but also it could have been a mutually agreed open relationship...or he could have been abusive..no one knows - and it's really no one's business.)

I DO agree with you about the weird speech about after work drinks. But again, that's a lack of intellect and circumstantial thinking. It all boils down to professional inadequacies.  She wasn't exempting herself out of privilege but out of ignorance.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, suomi said:

Yeah. I mean, I agree with the general sentiment, but in this case I find the handwringing to come off a bit off. Mika has monetized her personal life, personal outlooks, and personal opinions. When a public figure tells other women how to dress, what to wear, which shoes are ok, what to eat, who to eat with (at what hours to eat), pens screeds on her commitment to ending botox/fillers/plastic surgery - and when each click lines her pocket - is it really shame on everyone for commenting what she is putting out there? She's actively entwined her personal life and professional life in ways that make me incredibly uncomfortable, but she's shown she's ok with the crossover and the monetization of it.

ETA because I don't want it to get lost (lol), if anyone else is watching The Morning Show hit me up!

Edited by XOQueens
  • Love 8

I think The Morning Show is what my daughter was talking about during FaceTime the other night; she said I would enjoy it.  

I love this Board; love the humor, insight, comments, etc.  It can be a real pick-me-up in these times we are in.  Laugh-out-loud comments, back-and-forth discussions, different insights, etc.  We are here for the snark and humor.  We take an interest when someone mentions a happening in their life.  We need this.  And yes, Meeka's breasts and tops sometimes seem to take on a life of their own.  Bless her heart.

Happy Easter, everyone.  Hug your loved ones tight....give virtual hugs...FaceTime...Group FaceTime (warning...Mr. Kemper and I need alcohol for this one)..call...do a drive-by.  Whatever can bring us closer to those who are important to our lives.

• Love 7
15 hours ago, plumbago blues said:

Agree 100%. Management waits much too long to give the oldtimer's the boot...Look at Chris Matthews...I hated him but it was a shame he had to go out under such a black cloud. It could have been avoided had they been monitoring his behavior more closely. Larry OD is another that isn't aging well, IMO. Unwatchable. To say nothing of Tom Brokaw...OMG. (Actually maybe they DID get rid of him...can't remember when I last saw him.)

Joe was very upset at how MSNBC treated Chris Matthews. He defended him on the show.

Tom Brokaw still appears occasionally on Morning Joe , but not since the Coronavirus pandemic started. The network has to be careful with him because he does make inappropriate statements about African Americans. He has had to apologize for some his tweets.

Mika defended Brokaw, Mark Halperin,Matt Lauer,Charlie Rose, Harvey Weinstein  & Harold Ford Jr against accusations of sexual harassment. She said they she was not harassed by those men.

• Love 4
15 hours ago, XOQueens said:

There was someone who worked on Morning Joe that posted on this forum a few years ago. She assured us that Mika & Joe were nice people.

• Love 3

i get a sense that Mika and Joe appeal to each other's narcissistic, fame-seeking side.  They both were sort of well known before they became a couple, but neither was a household name.

They were seeking the spotlight and happened to find it together.  They need the drama to continue so they can stay front and center.  They seem to feed off of it.

• Love 4

Mr. Kemper was Googling salaries of well-known people.  Rachel Maddow is the highest paid NBC (or maybe MSNBC) employee.  Wonder how Joe feels about that?  I thought he was The Star.  Well, HE probably thinks he is The Star.  

• Love 3
17 hours ago, Kemper said:

I think The Morning Show is what my daughter was talking about during FaceTime the other night; she said I would enjoy it.  

I’m really enjoying it. It’s about the fallout of a #metoo scandal hitting a morning show at a toxic news network. Cough cough cough...

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

Gotta say it. I love this board and all participants because we see it and use it as it was intended: A place to comment and rant about tv shows. Simple. I was so sad when TWoP shut down but am so happy that Primetimer is carrying the torch for all of us snarkers. I still have no Pity for anyone who willingly puts themselves on the national stage. We are watching, which is what they want...but we are also reacting.  Now that I've survived Lent, I'm off to enjoy a bourbon, neat, with 2 cherries. Happy Easter to all.

• Love 8

With regard to monitoring public reaction to the show, I worked in TV many years ago and we did have to pay attention to the mail and online postings.  I would read the stuff and make a report for the  folks in management.  I also got to answer viewer letters which was hilarious and eye-opening.

Edited by nittanycougar
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

I also got to answer viewer letters which was hilarious and eye-opening.

I worked as a school librarian; at one of them, we had a folder in the cabinet titled "Fanatics" - for letters parents wrote objecting to a particular book.  You could always tell when a Judy Blume book came in - we were bombarded with letters. 

One parent objected to the language in a book titled "The Santa Clauses" (I think that was the title...it has been decades).  The offending words?  "Bah, Humbug" 😊  I think the book won awards for illustrations; but again, I could be dis-remembering.  But that is the gist. Good times.

• LOL 6
On 4/10/2020 at 5:15 PM, Kemper said:

I was thinking about the latest posts from those who watch the show regularly - and how it seems to be going off the rails just about everyday.  I don't know who I would vote off...the hosts?  Or the regulars first and then the hosts. 

When this board first became active, there was a thread for kicking people off the show. I think it was called the Survivor Game? 

I remember posting on it and suggesting that Nicolle Wallace should be booted off. How times have changed. Nicolle's show is the only one I watch every day. I like her guests and I like the way she runs the show. I don't know why she rubbed me the wrong way when she was on MJ, but I've done a 180 on her. She's probably my favorite MSNBC personality.

I wonder if there's anyone else who would benefit from getting away from MJ.

• Love 8

You guys know back in the TWOP days, Aaron Sorkin got into it with a couple of the mods over what people said about West Wing, and he set up a fake account to "correct" people. He even wrote part of an episode about it, where Josh starts posting on a forum.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 1
29 minutes ago, Jordan Baker said:

I wonder if there's anyone else who would benefit from getting away from MJ.

RE: Nicole, back in the day she was VERY full of herself, an ideologue, and thought of herself as a hardened PR flak owning the libtards.  She sought out conflict and would toe the company line even when she knew she was wrong... being a flak for the "other team."  She was a little rough around the edges, always looking for a fight.  Smart, veteran with real game experience, but immature.
And she was going to parlay her growing notoriety into media fame/fortune on The View.  And the real world smooshed all that.  She got fired quickly.  Afterwards she took the time to reflect and prepare.
You can tell she's grown up a ton.  She's level headed, well-researched, measured, thoughtful, and gracious.  She's aggressive when it's warranted. 
It seems minor, but she took the right steps to cultivate her look as a professional anchor.  Her outfits, hair, and makeup are perfect.  She looks professional.  She looks like she has gravitas.  It's a visual medium, men need it too.  Cable knits, punchable faces, weird hair prevent men from being taken very seriously.

Heidi P is going to be the next Nicole, I think.  Stephanie could do whatever she'd like.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
6 hours ago, Landsnark said:

It seems minor, but she took the right steps to cultivate her look as a professional anchor.  Her outfits, hair, and makeup are perfect. 

Didn't Mika somehow worm her way into Nicole's styling efforts? IIRC, there was some passive aggressive "advice" given to her  when she was going on the View...does that sound familiar? I remember feeling a little uncomfortable with the interaction. But, to be honest, most interactions involving Mika make me uncomfortable.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

If Mika and Joe spent the better part of three hours everyday sitting in front of their TV watching their show,  the redundancy and BS they try to pull off as journalism, would probably drive them to gallons of wine and pounds of layer cake.

I get it, this isn't  a news show. They aren't journalists  or to be taken seriously in any way. But I take offense when Joe spends the first 20 minutes every morning airing clips of trump and critiquing them and his tweets, then doling out his campaign advice.

This morning I actually got to thinking what a fun show this would have been if MSNBC had turned it over to Joe's original  co anchor  Ron Reagan 🤔

Edited by tres bien
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, tres bien said:

the redundancy and BS they try to pull off as journalism, would probably drive them to gallons of wine and pounds of layer cake.

I take severe offense to this oft-repeated theme.  Yes, they are redundant, they're full of bullshit, and she eats  cake by the fists-full.  So much cake she hasn't had implants, she stores cake in her super-large falling-to-her-waist bras.   What I take offense to is the notion that it's wine they drink.  I'm 100% their lubricant of choice is vodka.

• LOL 4
25 minutes ago, Landsnark said:

I take severe offense to this oft-repeated theme.  Yes, they are redundant, they're full of bullshit, and she eats  cake by the fists-full.  So much cake she hasn't had implants, she stores cake in her super-large falling-to-her-waist bras.   What I take offense to is the notion that it's wine they drink.  I'm 100% their lubricant of choice is vodka.

Yep.  I can see it. Stoly direct from the refrigerator, drinking from the bottle  Patsy and Eddy style.

The reason I used the worn out cake and wine analogy, was because what I wanted to say, I thought was too inappropriate. 

Edited by tres bien
  • LOL 4

This one is new to me and I didn't see it posted here:

March 5, 2020

This therapy is helping me triumph over my 20-year addiction to sleep medicine

The Know Your Value founder and "Morning Joe" co-host says Dialectical Behavior Therapy, which she started about two years ago, has changed her life.

https://www.nbcnews.com/know-your-value/feature/mika-therapy-helping-me-triumph-over-my-20-year-addiction-ncna1151176

This is the night Joey called his ballad "Let's Fall In Love" to Emily Jane Fox's attention. Barf. This was 10 months before the release of the first of his one-a-month-for-4-years EPs that lasted ... 3 months, was it? 

August 24, 2016

JOE SCARBOROUGH HAS A LITTLE SECRET . . .

The renowned television host, and former congressman, is embracing his deep yearning—to be a late-in-life rock star. “I turned 50 and I said, I’m going to die and my kids are never going to see this side of me.”

Mika Brzezinski, Scarborough’s morning show co-host, was perched on the edge of her seat in a booth just offstage, toggling an iPhone, a Chanel shopper, and a drinks menu as she sang along to every word of the song and waved her fists to the beat. She ordered a bottle of wine for the table and texted friends in order to get them to stop by. She was, all at once, an inspiring combination of groupie, hostess, and dutiful colleague. And maybe a little rock star, too, in jeans and black sunglasses resting atop her white-blonde hair.

Scarborough and Brzezinski’s relationship has become a topic of fascination among, largely, the concentric circles of people who appear on their show and those who write about them. In late June, Page Six reported that Brzezinski’s recent divorce might suggest that she and her co-host were going to reveal that they were a couple. 

But that relationship, whatever it is, went undiscussed at Prohibition. (A spokesperson for MSNBC declined to talk about the pair’s relationship. Scarborough said his tweets speak for themselves.)

Decades of songwriting have yielded a collection of about 400 songs, most of which no one has ever heard, because he had been paralyzed by a fear of judgment from ever performing them.

Some of the self-consciousness came through as he rehearsed with the band. Scarborough tapped his Stan Smith sneaker to keep time, like a kid taking music lessons would, and he mostly kept his gaze fixed on his guitar. But he loosened up a few songs in. “Hey, Emily!” he shouted to me from the stage. “Remember when I told you I didn’t write love songs?” He was referring to a point in our conversation, maybe a half hour earlier, when I asked if he had written any such ballads lately. “I’ve written one in the last 40 years and we’re about to play it,” he shouted again.

I asked whom it was about. Scarborough said he couldn’t remember, but said he wrote it about a year ago. At that point Morning Joe Music began rehearsing “Let’s Fall in Love,” a crooning waltz about a man who is convincing a woman to do just that. Scarborough kept his eyes closed for most of the song, his voice approaching the sincerity of a pleading Springsteen serenade.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2016/08/joe-scarborough-morning-joe-music-band

JUNE 20, 2017

Scarborough has apparently “spent the last year holed up in studios recording 50 of his 400 original songs.” He’ll roll out 200 between now and 2020, but says he “might take a quick rest” before putting out the remaining songs.

https://www.thecut.com/2017/06/joe-scarborough-release-debut-ep-new-music-for-the-next-4-years.html

• LOL 2
  • Love 1