Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Cup O' Joe

Dagny

Please remember that the Small Talk thread does not allow for the conversations that violate the Primetimer Politics Rule.

• Start Topic

My children and I have lost their beloved Mr. Kemper; it has been coming for a couple of weeks.  But as anyone who has been through this knows, it is still unexpected.  I am not writing this for people to feel for me; I know everyone does.

I just haven't been able to get any interest in The Twins or politics much lately.  I am so hoping those juices come back!  If not I will heap all my attention on Barney, our cat.  My friends and I are in the "age group" that is not socializing much right now.  But we are going to meet this week on my patio and toast Mr. Kemper.  Cheap champagne and Two Buck Chuck.  That is how we roll.

p.s.  If anyone on this Board is a federal government employee/retiree.  Take my word - dealing with OPM (Office of Personnel Management) is something I would wish only on Meeka and Joe.  

• Sad 1

Kemper I'm so sorry!  

You take care of yourself, our love to your family, and of course we'll be here. Even if you just want to check in to lurk and see what they've been doing w/o torturing yourself by watching the show. 

🧡

• Love 4

I'm so sorry, Kemper.  I must have lucked out way back in the early aughts with the Feds when my dad died, as it wasn't too much trouble.  I wish you all the best in your dealings with them, and in everything going forward.  I hope your friends and Barney are a great comfort to you. 

• Love 5

I think it was on one of the MJ threads that I heard the name Randy Rainbow.  A friend (she is in her 80's) "shared" one of his videos on my Facebook timeline.  I have not laughed so hard in weeks.  Belly laughs...it felt so good.  I shared it with my coffee group (thanks to their kids and grandkids, they all have Facebook) - now one of the our adult children is going to instruct us on setting up a Zoom group.  We can do face-to-face again.  With wine instead of coffee.

Winning.

• Love 7

24 minutes ago, Kemper said:

think it was on one of the MJ threads that I heard the name Randy Rainbow. 

I think I may have mentioned Randy, we were supposed to go see him in May when he was in Indianapolis but COVID 19 had other plans.  Yes he's great, and what a voice. 

Kemper  have you seen Sarah Cooper's videos?  She has a FB page if you're not on Twitter. Equally hilarious. 

• Love 4

I have my own spin on dealing with OPM. I worked for some time at an insurance company contracted by them and we had, of course, strict rules to follow regarding allowable care, procedures, etc. and had to give guidelines to members. Invariably, the members would argue and berate us for not allowing certain things, or they refused to follow the established flow of care that might enable them to receive what they wanted. (Note to all: always read the fine print of any policy!!!) So many had such a sense of entitlement and a (deliberate?) misunderstanding of their policies... very frustrating to us carrying out the Office's  contracted  rules. The real kick in the teeth to us would be when the member would then just hound OPM and we'd be over ruled and then ridiculed. It was not an easy job. They would cave so easily after we would spend so much time on their process. Demoralizing...and we old broads (RNs) weren't snowflakes. Just my 2 cents.

I hope they did come through for you eventually, Kemper.

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

Anybody watch Hamilton on Disney Plus?

We already pay for DirecTV, HBO, Netflix, Amazon Prime, BritBox, and I think Acorn.  I don't want to chase new subscription-based content platforms and download apps and buy a new TV that can support last week's technology.  I'm not a Luddite; at some point I need to try to shape the market so it suits me.
Millennials' acceptance of a ludicrously disparate content delivery industry is not going to drive me to watch TV on my computer.  I'm not adapting and adopting for new platforms, so that new platforms must adapt to me.

• Love 2

DisneyPlus is available thru Amazon Prime, you just click on the app and sign up.  Then you can watch on tv.  

If you want to see Hamilton, it's worth the $6.99. You can cancel anytime.  

• Love 2
23 minutes ago, Landsnark said:

so was it good?  It was worth it?

It was well worth it to me. I'd seen a touring company earlier this year, and I was happy to finally get a chance to see any version of the show. But this filmed version was in a whole different league. The cast is wonderful. The filming gets you up close to the actors in a way you wouldn't get in Front Row Orchestra, but the effect is still of watching a stage play (if that makes sense).

I subscribed to Disney+ through Roku. It's a month-to-month subscription and I'm guessing more than a few subscribers will cancel after they've watched the show a few times.

We watched "Hamilton" on our TV, but, in general, I have no problem watching shows on my computer.  And I'm older than dirt. DH agrees with you, though. He has to watch everything on the TV.

• Love 5

So a caveat first: I am an incredibly sentimental person..

I cried almost thru the whole thing. ( I talked to other people who said the same thing)  I was tearing up at the first song.   It is a work of art, the most amazing thing I've ever seen. 

It was filmed at the Richard Rodgers theater during two performances in 2016, with the original cast. My sister saw it in Chicago with the touring company, she said watching this was like seeing a different show.  

The story is amazing, the staging is beautiful.  I would recommend watching with closed captions on, so you can see the words to the songs, as it makes it easier to follow the story.   

It's also great to hear the audience react to King George, which is a hoot, and when Washington is introduced.  It's about 2 1/2 hours long. 

Considering people paid over $1,000 for tickets and we get to see it for $7, yes it is worth it.  

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

I would recommend watching with closed captions on, so you can see the words to the songs, as it makes it easier to follow the story.   

Second this.

And, yes, make sure you have a hankie at the ready. I was unprepared, when I first saw the show, at how sad it was.

King George is a hoot. Wonderful performance.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Jordan Baker said:

I was unprepared, when I first saw the show, at how sad it was.

Yes.  I had tears in my eyes during most of it, but a couple places was just full blown ugly crying. 

I have the PBS special on the making of it from a couple years ago and I was watching it again after watching Hamilton, they interview Ron Chernow, various historians, Lin Manuel visits various homes of the Hamiltons, etc.  They interviewed Jimmy Fallon and he said he and his wife saw it in the original run and they looked around after the first couple songs like "is it just us? Is this unbelievable? Are we crazy?" 

Quest Love (the drummer of the Roots) said he saw it like 8 or 9 times, and he would always see something he had missed. 

5 minutes ago, Jordan Baker said:

King George is a hoot. Wonderful performance.

The drool!!  Like it made him seem even crazier. 

• Love 3
(edited)

Kemper, I just saw this and I am so sorry.  I don't usually go on the Small Talk thread. I used to LOVE the comments Mr. Kemper would make as you reported them to us.  Very dry.  Take care, please......

Edited by WhineandCheez
  • Love 5

If I can see it for $7 I will watch it.  I am not willing to sign up for Disney+.  I already pay so much for the content I view.  While I do watch some things on my computer, I find more content now assumes you have a large screen TV or you are sitting close enough to read small items.  For example, when shows display text messages on screen.  My vision is good with my glasses, but I often have to pause and get close to read these. 

I do have friends who have saved money as compared to cable by using all of the various services.  However, for now, that is more effort than I want to put into watching TV.  

FYI I work in tech and have just joined a company that is on the cutting edge of technology, so I am not a luddite.  

I had tickets to see Hamilton in SF.  Unfortunately this was cancelled due to the zombie apocalypse, um, covid-19 shelter in place. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I felt the same way about "great, one more streaming service", but since it was so easy to sign up via Amazon Prime and for $6.99 a month cancel anytime deal. 

Disney also has the entire Marvel library and the Star Wars library, and Pixar and of course Disney movies. So I finally watched Rise of Skywalker (meh). 

• Love 1

I visited my son last week; he has set the tv up in the guestroom with Roku - so I can now watch Acorn and Netflix; plus, he gets the YouTube channel.  Really, I was surprised at how many networks it carries.  And it is something like $30-40 per month; I was shocked at how much I am paying for cable compared to what he is paying.  He has advised I get rid of cable, get the YouTube channel and Hulu.  I would still have Netflix and Acorn.  Plus with YouTube you can get the local news stations.

Here is one neat thing my kids did for me.  I am addicted to the British/Swedish/Belgium, etc. mysteries on Acorn and Netflix.  I started watching The Oldenheim 12 on Acorn - it is a whopper of a mystery (in my opinion).  So my kids both signed up for a free week's trial on Acorn so they could watch it; then we would text back and forth what we thought was going on.  Aliens?  Serial Killer?  Something else?

• Love 6
12 hours ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

I got a special deal at $75 for a decent sea

That is a good deal.  Last December the seats for the Indianapolis tour were around $300-$400 for good seats, I spoke to someone who said it was because the venue they were using had limited seating so they had to charge more to make up for the revenue discrepancy with larger venues.  TBS, I've been in that theater, there isn't a bad seat in the house. 

• Love 2
17 hours ago, Kemper said:

I am addicted to the British/Swedish/Belgium, etc. mysteries on Acorn and Netflix.  

We really liked the Swedish/Danish version of "The Bridge." I also really enjoyed "Borgen," another Danish production. It had a good story and cast, and I learned a ton about how the Danish government works. Highly recommend both. 

• Love 2

I doubt Mika & Joe will address this issue, but Steve Schmidt wanted to be President Trump's campaign manager in March 2016. He was interviewed by Trump. Trump was upset with Schmidt giving a long interview to Halperin & Heilemann about the 2008 McCain campaign which was used in their Game Change book & movie. Trump was worried that if he was disloyal to McCain he would turn on him. Apparently , Trump thanked Schmidt for his support on Morning Joe before his job interview.

https://nypost.com/2020/07/27/lincoln-project-co-founder-met-with-trump-for-campaign-role/

• Love 3

I follow Steve on twitter and tend to believe his version of the story.

6 minutes ago, nittanycougar said:

I saw that Oakville.  Apparently, Schmidt is in a showdown with the New York Post.  Today, he sent 40 tweets about the NY Post article.  Here is Steve Schmidt on the show in October 2016.  

That really did not age well.

• Love 1
49 minutes ago, xaxat said:

I follow Steve on twitter and tend to believe his version of the story.

That really did not age well.

Me too (on both the following him on Twitter and on believing him).

I couldn't watch the whole video. Too depressing.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, nittanycougar said:

I saw that Oakville.  Apparently, Schmidt is in a showdown with the New York Post.  Today, he sent 40 tweets about the NY Post article.  Here is Steve Schmidt on the show in October 2016.  

I posted my recaps of the show around that date. This clip is dated October 19, 2016 but I posted a comment about Schmidt on October 18th, 2016 on the daily forum. 

• Love 2
On 7/7/2020 at 11:21 AM, plumbago blues said:

I must hang my head in shame and admit I just worked my way through all seasons of Schitt's Creek.

Are you ashamed you just got around to watching it?  I am on my second binge. I absolutely love it.  My best friend's husband IS David.  Ew

And Alexis' lines about her previous life? 

" Oh my God. Ever since David left, you two have been so dramatic. Do I have to remind you of the time that I was taken hostage on David Geffen’s yacht by Somali pirates for a week and nobody answered my texts?”

I'm looking forward to/dreading the "Cabaret" episode again.  When Stevie sings "Maybe This Time".... 

• Love 4

The best show I've discovered during the shutdown is "What We Do in the Shadows." 

I have no interest in vampire stories (I've never read or seen "Interview with the Vampire" or "Twilight" or even "Dracula"), but there was something about the whole four-vampires-living-on-Staten-Island idea that made me laugh even before I'd seen a single episode.

We started watching a few weeks ago and finished season 2 last night. It's going to be a long time until season 3! 

It is one of the funniest shows I've seen in . . . well, maybe ever. The writing is amazing, the set design is beautiful, and the acting is . . . eek, I'm running out of adjectives. There is some gore, but it's mostly comic gore.

Nandor is my favorite, but they're all incredible characters and actors.

I was so happy to see that it was nominated for an Emmy in the Best Comedy category. I'm sure it will lose to "Schitt's Creek" (given the number of nominations that show has), but at least it was nominated.

Highly recommended.

• Love 5
27 minutes ago, Jordan Baker said:

The best show I've discovered during the shutdown is "What We Do in the Shadows." 

I have no interest in vampire stories (I've never read or seen "Interview with the Vampire" or "Twilight" or even "Dracula"), but there was something about the whole four-vampires-living-on-Staten-Island idea that made me laugh even before I'd seen a single episode.

We started watching a few weeks ago and finished season 2 last night. It's going to be a long time until season 3! 

It is one of the funniest shows I've seen in . . . well, maybe ever. The writing is amazing, the set design is beautiful, and the acting is . . . eek, I'm running out of adjectives. There is some gore, but it's mostly comic gore.

Nandor is my favorite, but they're all incredible characters and actors.

I was so happy to see that it was nominated for an Emmy in the Best Comedy category. I'm sure it will lose to "Schitt's Creek" (given the number of nominations that show has), but at least it was nominated.

Highly recommended.

My absolute favorite show, comedy division.  I have watched it since the first episode.  I was excited because I loved the movie, and it exceeded all expectations.  I love Schitt's Creek, but for just laugh out loud funny, fantastic plot premises,  Shadows is the best comedy on tv. 

Nadja is my favorite, because I'm just like her (other than the undead part). The angrier I get the louder I get and I do not care who hears me. Her complete disgust with how idiotic Nandor and Lazlo are.   And her little doll!!  And of course Colin Robinson.   

The episode when Nandor tries to get his US citizenship.  Jackie Daytona.    Nadja and Lazlo singing at the club.  

The Superb Owl party. Last season when they take  Baron Afanas out and he eats pizza.   The Vampire Council. 

I actually work with a couple Energy Vampires.   And TBH I think we watch two of them every morning.   I mean, who hasn't said to themselves "Ugh, Joe's back".  Or "God There goes Mika again"

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
16 minutes ago, Kemper said:

There is a deadly article on Mediaite about Nicole Wallace.  I saw the reporter's name but have no idea who it is

It's Joe DePaolo. I checked his Twitter page, he covers mostly sports.

I take it as someone who doesn't want anyone who used to be more conservative or a member of Republican Party on MSNBC. 

That ship has sailed Joe.  

I saw the show when Stengel said shit show.  It was pretty funny.    

• Love 3
13 hours ago, oakville said:

There is a reference to this article in the Mediaite article. It's amusing to call MSNBC the goldfish network where no one remember the past positions of the anchors. 

https://www.cjr.org/public_editor/msnbc-public-editor-the-goldfish-network.php

That is actually a really good point re her working for Bush and now lambasting Trump. 

But I'm not quite sure what Bush 41 pardoning Weinberger has to do with Nicolle Wallace.  She wasn't with his Administration. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, teddysmom said:

That is actually a really good point re her working for Bush and now lambasting Trump. 

But I'm not quite sure what Bush 41 pardoning Weinberger has to do with Nicolle Wallace.  She wasn't with his Administration. 

. Wallace didn't work for Bush 41, but she should remember that Bush 41's pardon of Weinberger was very controversial.

• Love 3

I think John Heileman is one of the few guests on MJ that snarks on them without them realizing he is doing it on live tv; it is very subtle.  Love him.

I scan through Mediaite several times a day (they have Joe/Meeka kudos often).  But is it just me or is it kind of tabloid-ish?  In a News kind of way.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, neona said:

Why do they make those poor hurricane reporters stand outside in the wind and rain?? I feel so bad for them

Dramahz!!!!!  I think it's one of the reasons people stop taking the warnings as seriously.  8 years ago I took a trip to New Orleans.  Our first night there was a heavy storm.  We walked to dinner, got drenched, and laughed about it with local folks.  The next morning we turned on the weather channel.  They had a reporter standing near the river holding onto a brick post as if to hold himself up.  They made it look really bad.  One of my friends decided to go to the bakery across the street for coffee and pastries.  She came back and said the place was packed, people were out and about.  We got ourselves together and went out.  At one point we ended up right near the reporter who was still at it.  We came strolling up behind, dressed like tourists (sandals, shorts, tank tops) carrying coffee (or adult beverages).  They suddenly cut away.  

When we got up there the reporter chatted with us and hit on one of my friends, telling us little ladies we weren't safe without him accompanying us.  We declined his offer to help us; of course that help was to be at a bar later that night.  

Hurricane Laura looks really scary.  I would rather see the actual charts and projections with any footage they have.  If it's really bad, there's no need to put a reporter in harm's way.  If a storm is not that bad, it helps no one to make it look worse.  Locals learn to not listen so then, when the storms are bad, they don't leave. 

• Love 3

I still remember two big boo-boos from the reporters.   One was Mike Siedel (Seidel?) doing the lean against the horrible storm he was reporting on, when a couple of men waltzed by having no issues, and their hair wasn't even moving.   Then another time, a reporter (for a cable news network) was reporting on the flooding, sitting in a canoe.   He was talking about how deep the water was, when a person or two walked behind him, and the water wasn't even ankle deep.  

I wish the reporters would wear helmets, and goggles.  One last night got blasted with flying glass, and she's lucky she wasn't seriously injured.   From what people on another forum who were watching it live said, Jim Cantore was going to put on his helmet, the other commentator took over, and then got blasted by the glass.  Fortunately, she wasn't injured.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 3

Fans of Schitt's Creek get ready to die from the cuteness.  I tried to sound as much like Moira as I could: 

Feast your peepers on these fantastically adorable Bebe's!!! How serendipitous if these terrific tots appear on your portico begging for sweets on All Hallow's Eve!

image.png.c038b6337c9681db31c2e04b59a91760.png

• LOL 4
On 9/22/2020 at 12:18 PM, teddysmom said:

Fans of Schitt's Creek get ready to die from the cuteness.  I tried to sound as much like Moira as I could: 

Feast your peepers on these fantastically adorable Bebe's!!! How serendipitous if these terrific tots appear on your portico begging for sweets on All Hallow's Eve!

image.png.c038b6337c9681db31c2e04b59a91760.png

Well done, Moira, er, @teddysmom!  Which wig are you wearing today?  😄

• Love 3
24 minutes ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

Well done, Moira, er, @teddysmom!  Which wig are you wearing today?  😄

Oh, Cotton Candy.   She's always a great precursor to week's end.

Johnny is updating my spreadsheet even as you and I converse.

"No John, Jocelyn is Number 43!!" 

• LOL 2
  • Love 1