Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Cup O' Joe

Dagny

Please remember that the Small Talk thread does not allow for the conversations that violate the Primetimer Politics Rule.

• Start Topic

I actually like the current morning CNN lineup, especially Briana Kellar; but I only tune in for a bit everyday. And Plumbago B, you are so right (😉) about Kasie.  Sadly, with the network pushing The Twins, I don’t see much of anything improving CNN’s chance of catching MSNBC in the early morning timeslot. They are golden at MSNBC.

I did want to comment in Small Talk about Alex Witt. There was a mini kerfluffle quite a few years ago about a financial disagreement she had with a friend. According to gossip, she did not pay a loan back to the friend. I think it was a basic he said/she said but that might color my opinion of her. Based on something I know nothing about; but the hair and peasant blouses more than anything.

My brother watched Bill Maher last night and told me a little about it going off the rails. I liked Russell Brand when he was on MJ - he was All of Us. But haven’t heard much about him for years other than maybe some odd behavior. Whoever wrote the above Twitter comment (a Benny Johnson?) sounds gleeful; at the least. I would think Heilemann could hold his own.

• Like 2
(edited)

I think this Benny Johnson dude was wrong about Russell Brand "murdering" Heilemann and ending his career. The Morning Joe joke was funny, but I actually think Heilemann ate Russell Brand's lunch.  The first thing was him saying "Russell darling," which cracked me up.  All Russell Brand did was shout and not let Heilemann get any words in.  

Edited by Crashcourse
  • Like 7
  • LOL 1

I read an article about the Forbes “50 and 30 Over” lists. The article welcomes recognizing women’s accomplishments. But they state that the lists mostly reinforce what an accomplished life looks like …money, status and power. Of course, there are exceptions on the lists.

I do admire the successes of women from all walks of life. I just hate to see it measured in wealth and influence. It is a bit of a downer. Is Kris Kardashian on it? I thought I saw her picture. Didn’t Meeka interview her awhile back? 

• Like 2
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, Kemper said:

I read an article about the Forbes “50 and 30 Over” lists. The article welcomes recognizing women’s accomplishments. But they state that the lists mostly reinforce what an accomplished life looks like …money, status and power. Of course, there are exceptions on the lists.

I do admire the successes of women from all walks of life. I just hate to see it measured in wealth and influence. It is a bit of a downer. Is Kris Kardashian on it? I thought I saw her picture. Didn’t Meeka interview her awhile back? 

I so agree with this. It pisses me off that her agenda only pushes some tiny strange segment of women that most women can't relate to 

• Love 4

but isn't Russel Brand basically one of those anti-vax conspiracy theorists? 🥴

I wasn't around when he was on MJ so can someone please explain the context. I did see a youtube clip but was none the wiser, what even was that, it was confusing 😂 

personal opinion but our boy High-lemann obvious owns any room he walks into. Maher is a crank, but in a crazy uncle who gives you his leftover weed kinda way.  his show is actually kind of good bc it's so all over the place, intentionally, and I respect that

Edited by neona2

I think I must be getting too old for this show. I don’t really take the hosts seriously; and have grown tired of the same guests and commentators every day. Because all I seem to want to do (sadly) is snark on them - I started watching in the Television Without Pity days. Sarcasm and crass humor were the norm. I do realize that times change. I just can’t change with them - that is on me.

I set my alarm this morning and had a text party with friends while watching the Royal nuptials. Scones, tea and mimosas. We discussed: Camilla’s hair - the Farrah F look with the wings (my teen - at the time - tried so hard sculpting hers). We bandied about the clothes, that Charles is a bit of a Sad, what may transpire in the boudoir. We pitied whoever sat behind Katy Perry and her hat. Fun times.

• LOL 3
(edited)

Of course I don't want to go down the breaking the board rules road so I won't refer to TFG by any other name.

I don't begrudge Joe for taking time off although it does seem like a inordinately amount of time for someone who has his own cable TV show and he can so he does.

He's not the only MSNBC host given this privilege 

Edited by tres bien
  • Like 2

Call me out of touch but I have no idea who you all are referring to with these code names/initials. Why not just use real names? I guess not watching the show except for brief clips keeps me in the dark. I'll stick with CNBC where I know what and who is being talked about!

• Like 2

What pisses me off about Joe & Mika is they made a big deal about extending the show to 4 hours in the morning and yet from the beginning, almost half the show or more are repeats of segments from 6-8am.  Even when it's not a repeat, most of the time Joe is MIA after 8am.  He also take a ridiculous amount of time off.  He was off 2 weeks earlier this month, at least one day a week for the other 2 weeks in July and now he's into a second week off with Mika heading into August. He also seems to be turning into a talk show host interviewing celebrities. First the Oppenheimer cast 2 weeks ago and then Jamie Lee Curtis last week on tape.  I would suggest having celebrity interviews during the 9am-10 hour, but I guess that Joe doesn't want to hang around that long.  Why are these people getting paid a great deal of money and they are hardly ever there.  God forbid Lemire and Willie took vacation the same week!  Who would they get to host the show?  I would also like to know who to complain to at the network about this.

• Like 3
8 hours ago, jacourt said:

TFG. The previous president. The former guy

Oh, jeeze. I knew Joe and Mika were petty but, really, how can they refer to themselves as "journalists" when they can't even say a last name? Especially of someone they coo-ed at and coddled leading up to his election? Ugh.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, plumbago blues said:

Oh, jeeze. I knew Joe and Mika were petty but, really, how can they refer to themselves as "journalists" when they can't even say a last name? Especially of someone they coo-ed at and coddled leading up to his election? Ugh.

I don't think I've ever heard Joe or Mika refer to Trump as The Former Guy

• Like 2

Haven’t you heard the revisionist history joe is now spouting?  They only had trump on so much because they had given invites to all the candidates and he was the only one who took up on the offer. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, Linda956 said:

What pisses me off about Joe & Mika is they made a big deal about extending the show to 4 hours in the morning and yet from the beginning, almost half the show or more are repeats of segments from 6-8am.  Even when it's not a repeat, most of the time Joe is MIA after 8am.  He also take a ridiculous amount of time off.  He was off 2 weeks earlier this month, at least one day a week for the other 2 weeks in July and now he's into a second week off with Mika heading into August. He also seems to be turning into a talk show host interviewing celebrities. First the Oppenheimer cast 2 weeks ago and then Jamie Lee Curtis last week on tape.  I would suggest having celebrity interviews during the 9am-10 hour, but I guess that Joe doesn't want to hang around that long.  Why are these people getting paid a great deal of money and they are hardly ever there.  God forbid Lemire and Willie took vacation the same week!  Who would they get to host the show?  I would also like to know who to complain to at the network about this.

I think Mika & Joe negotiated extra vacation time for their current contracts. They need time off now because they will be visiting the early primary states in 2024.

Joe will also be covering the GOP debate next month. Mika is working on KYV.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, jacourt said:

Haven’t you heard the revisionist history joe is now spouting?  They only had trump on so much because they had given invites to all the candidates and he was the only one who took up on the offer. 

I happened to be watching that morning! Just once I would like to hear one of the coterie of sycophants burst out laughing at Joe’s revisionist memories.
I also don’t know what person in the news media would refer to either of The Twins as journalists. They are media personalities. Among other things. 🤓

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
9 hours ago, tres bien said:

I don't think I've ever heard Joe or Mika refer to Trump as The Former Guy

Ah, gotcha. I take it it's a board thing then. You guys are right that they aren't really journalists. I guess shills and commentators would better describe their roles. Will they be back this week?

• Like 2

Is this where we were “discussing” the appeal (sexiness wise) of some on-air reporters/analysts? I have to add Jack Smith to the roster; yes, he is not an on-air person. But he is endlessly discussed on-air. Maybe he is only sexy to my coffee-group friends…ages mid-70s to early 80s.. Since one of my “kids” is his age and another approaching 50, I can truthfully say (again) I have cookie sheets older than he is. 

• LOL 2

Here’s a question. Today when I was watching the arraignment coverage I noticed that trumps motorcade appeared to be the same as a presidents. There was even an ambulance. I can’t see George Bush traveling around like that. Is this normal?  Why would trump get so much protection?  

• Love 1

I've been on this site for a very long time. Back when it was TWOP. In 2018 I deleted my account and decided to come back in 2019 with a new SN. 

I honestly don't remember there being so much disdain for Mika and Joe and everything about them until recently. Maybe I'm wrong but I do know we always criticized and made fun of them and all their antics. Me included. But the mood has changed.

It makes me sad that a lot of the fun's been sucked out of the board 

• Like 2
26 minutes ago, tres bien said:

I've been on this site for a very long time. Back when it was TWOP. In 2018 I deleted my account and decided to come back in 2019 with a new SN. 

I honestly don't remember there being so much disdain for Mika and Joe and everything about them until recently. Maybe I'm wrong but I do know we always criticized and made fun of them and all their antics. Me included. But the mood has changed.

It makes me sad that a lot of the fun's been sucked out of the board 

Tres Bien -You are right. I do think that there was a lot more to laugh at/with back then. Maybe the issue is Joe and Mika were not so full of themselves as they are now. Joe has become an almost caricature of a bombastic ex-pol. (He can sometimes be really funny, though) Mika has perfected her role as “scold” and trying to keep Joe from wandering too far off point. But her ego has grown as much as his. She seems only engaged in her KYV project/schtick. That not many working women can identify with in its current form.
And add the political cycles since 2016 and you end up with viewers who have become cynical and more snarky. Those are just my ideas and thoughts. But this board can make me snort laugh at times. So there is that!

• Like 3

Maybe it’s the vitriol and anger that Joe spews everyday. The amount of money they make and the apparent lack of preparation, multiple days off, sense that they are phoning it in. If they could they would, literally. Repetition of talking points and sayings like country lawyer. Interaction with guests is odd.  Mika’s aloofness. These all make viewers angry and feeling disrespected. Thus the posts. 

• Applause 4
  • Love 1

I think the disdain comes from the revisionist history, the constant vacations, and just the all around negativity of the hosts.  I like the show when they aren't around. I can even take Mika over Joe. 

It's been what since 2007 when Mika joined Joe in this unholy alliance. It was all fun and games until 2016.  They are part of the problem with the media and the way that election was covered. 

At least they know what is keeping them on the air and getting them decent ratings. It's not their professionalism, their integrity, or their likeability.  

• Like 1
  • Applause 3
  • Love 2
29 minutes ago, SeanBug said:

It was all fun and games until 2016.

Yep.  And it's gotten severely worse since the documents were found at Mar a Lago.  It's TrumpTV now, and is Joe lecturing us.  Also I think they are less likeable.  They've been married now for a while, and aren't knuckleheads anymore on a shared set.
Trump and their move to FL has gutted the show.  They are becoming the worst versions of themselves, becoming living breathing stereotypes right in front of our eyes.

I want three months in Maine.  :(

• Like 2
  • Applause 5

Guess my point was lost. I've never watched MJ because of Joe or Mika. I started watching MSNBC at 6 am when Imus was on.  And I would watch CNN at that hour too. This time slot morphed into MJ and here we are 

• Like 3

Mr. Kemper and I used to watch Imus. His best quality? He was an equal opportunity offender. Imus described Joe one time as The Guy at Home Depot Who Wears the Apron. Now those were good times. This was before Imus was fired and Joe replaced him.

Edited by Kemper
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • LOL 2

I loved imus. Listened on the radio also. Got so many good book ideas. He was mean and crotchety but still good entertainment. He didn’t yammer on and on. How different would things be if he didn’t screw up. 

• Like 3

I loved him, too. I remember him from the old radio days and watched him over the years on tv...even followed him to Fox Business and then to the RFD channel or whatever the farm and agricultural channel was called. I actually met and interacted with him and his family back 40 yrs ago when I was a young nurse. So kind despite his on-air persona. I was impressed with the work he put into the Imus Ranch for Kids with Cancer. Legendary.

• Like 2

Caught a glimpse of the Brady Bunch squares (Ugh) on my way to CNBC, where I found such a treat! Mike Allen (Axios guy who once was a MJ regular) was in the studio with Becky, Andrew, and Joe Kernan (my tv husband) for a lively 15 minute discussion covering the looming UAW strike, politics, and pleasant back and forth chit chat. Upbeat and "in the moment" conversation. Give and take of relevant info with all participating. Just an FYI: there are enjoyable alternatives out there.

• Like 2
23 hours ago, plumbago blues said:

Wonder how the Russell Brand thing is gonna hit tomorrow...or will they play it safe and stick with baseball and football?

Mika mentioned the story around 7:25 a.m. She didn't provide any editorial comments on the allegations.

• Like 3