Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

3 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

OMG Guys I just saw a pair of greenish jade dolphins on live stream from my jade vendor.

If I was not praying for a fictional baby I would be contacting them and getting myself a pair of jade dolphin earrings.

THIS IS SO HARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stay strong!!

Is anyone else having trouble accessing tumblr blogs?

If I can't access tumblr blogs, then I won't be able to read jbuffyangel's episode reviews or austencello's musical analyses. Reluctanly, I may have to omit them from my list.

ETA: Apparently tumblr made changes recently that are now causing my PC firewall to block their pages. However, I don't know enough to tinker around with my PC's security protocols - and I don't wish to jeopardize my own PC's security just for Arrow.

Edited by tv echo
1 hour ago, tv echo said:

Is anyone else having trouble accessing tumblr blogs?

If I can't access tumblr blogs, then I won't be able to read jbuffyangel's episode reviews or austencello's musical analyses. Reluctanly, I may have to omit them from my list.

ETA: Apparently tumblr made changes recently that are now causing my PC firewall to block their pages. However, I don't know enough to tinker around with my PC's security protocols - and I don't wish to jeopardize my own PC's security just for Arrow.

I just reported a bug about not being able to watch the imbedded Instagram videos anymore.  (just get sound and it opens a new window to instagram) It sounds like it maybe not be a Previously problem after all.  

I am able to access tumblr blogs again! 

Thanks to the tip by @Morrigan2575, I discovered that I could unblock websites on my PC, but I had to find out their IP addresses first. So after some Googling, I discovered this handy online tool where you can plug in a website's URL address and get its IP address back:
http://ipinfo.info/html/ip_checker.php

I then went to the firewall section of my PC security program and unblocked the IP address for the tumblr blogs that I am interested in (they all had the same IP address).

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
34 minutes ago, insomniadreams88 said:

Anyone know anything about buying an antenna? Looking into getting a cheap one since I don't have the CW right now due to the Tribune/Spectrum dispute. 

I bought one off of Amazon after I cut the cord and Playstation Vue doesn't have the CW. I think I got the 50 mile range, but I live in Los Angeles so the 25 mile probably would have worked fine. It's like a place mat, and I stuck it to the side of my TV stand. Works great!

1 hour ago, insomniadreams88 said:

Anyone know anything about buying an antenna? Looking into getting a cheap one since I don't have the CW right now due to the Tribune/Spectrum dispute. 

I'm out in the boondocks.  I'd have to slap the expensive one on the roof so I'm stuck with paying satellite if I want stations.  It's really all about how far you are from the stations.  

• Love 1
25 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

Watching "You" right now. Addicted to it! Up to ep 3. 

Dude is so super crazy. Girl he's obsessed with is a hot mess too! This will end in spectacular flames!

One of the many shows and Movies I have on MY LIST.!

On 12/29/2018 at 3:51 PM, tv echo said:

I watched "The Cuckoo's Calling" (3 hours) segment of the C.B. Strike tv drama series on DVD this week. This is a British mystery series based on the books by Robert Galbraith (pseudonym used by J.K. Rowling). I thought it was quite good, so thumbs up! It's very, very different from her Harry Potter books. The story is centered around a British ex-military guy named Cormoran Strike, who now works as a London private investigator. He's got both physical (lost a leg in the war) and psychological issues. He's a tough, rough around the edges kind of guy. The other main character is Robin Ellacott, a blonde woman with a positive attitude who comes to work for him as his office assistant. There's hints of something dark in her past as well. She's very interested in doing detective work and this creates problems with her fiance Matt (yes, she's engaged). So a very interesting, complicated relationship is set up between Strike and Robin, as they work together to solve crimes.

Season 1 of C.B. Strike is based on the first three books about these characters. The author has also published a fourth book in the series, which I assume will eventually be part of Season 2.

I recently started reading the books that this TV series is based on: The Cuckoo's Calling, The Silkworm, A Career in Evil, and Lethal White. I have to say, the writing is really, really good. The books are thick volumes, filled with a lot of details, so it's slow reading. However, the mysteries are intricately developed and the characters are complex and three-dimensional. It's really difficult to believe that the same person who wrote the Harry Potter books wrote these books. The writing style is completely different (aside from being written for adults, as opposed to teens). So I highly recommend these books.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

I've read the first three volumes and I want to watch the series but I don't get the channel. I'm hoping they bring it to streaming or something.

1 hour ago, Mellowyellow said:

Dude is so super crazy. Girl he's obsessed with is a hot mess too! This will end in spectacular flames!

I binged the show last week. After a slow start it gets really addictive. Penn Badgley is very good at playing psycho. On a side note, I really enjoy him calling out the creepiness of fans trying to romanticize his character. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

I watched You when it was airing earlier this year, and I loved it! Its so creepy and addictive, and I love that now that its on Netflix, everyone is discovering it! I like to imagine its a deliberate shout out to cast Penn Badgley, who was known for playing nice guy Dan in Gossip Girl who was obsessed with the hot blond girl from afar, and was supposedly the nicest guy in New York but was actually pretty creepy a lot of times, as an intentionally creepy guy obsessed with a hot blond girl from afar that thinks he is the nicest guy in New York. 

• Love 2

FYI...

‘Crazy Rich Asians’ Takes Home Best Comedy at 2019 Critics' Choice Awards!
By Zach Seemayer‍ 6:45 PM PST, January 13, 2019
https://www.etonline.com/crazy-rich-asians-takes-home-best-comedy-at-2019-critics-choice-awards-117316

When the film was announced as the winner, the cast could hardly contain its excitement and shock at the surprising win, beating out Deadpool 2, The Death of Stalin, Game Night, Sorry to Bother You and The Favourite (which had won the award for best acting ensemble earlier in the show).

Full Critics Choice Awards winners list:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2019/01/14/critics-choice-awards-2019-winners-list/2566779002/ 

Edited by tv echo
3 hours ago, Chaser said:

Anyone watch The Passage? I really liked the pilot. Zach Morris has never looked better. He and Saniyya Sidney have great chemistry.

Yeah, they had a very believable bond and they set up his backstory in an effective way.  Not sure why THIS little girl has to be the one but I'm willing to stick around and see it through.  

I liked it.  I really loved MPG in "Pitch", so was more willing to try something because of him.  I was pleasantly surprised by Saniyya Sidney - she was great, and as mentioned above had solid chemistry with MPG.  That's enough for me to give it a few more episodes, but they need to tread carefully with the vampire business.  Could go south, quickly.

Vague question to avoid spoilers

Say you have a show that is performing well and the show has an established ship. The Twitter account for the show is ALWAYS promoting that main ship (12 days of Christmas, all sorts of cute things). However as I am watching the show I am seeing signs of a potential triangle or some sort of hurdle for the ship. Like anvils almost.

Would the promotion for the show be selling the ship so much if the show intended to mess up the ship or break them up? Based on the enthusiastic ship promotion can I assume the ship will be safe or do you reckon the writers of the show and the promotion do not need to be in sync and there might just be a really enthusiastic intern who likes the ship?

6 hours ago, Starfish35 said:

Did anyone watch the Roswell reboot tonight?  I’m curious what everyone thought, even though I have no intentions of watching it myself. 😂

I did. It was awful. It definitely does not have the charm of the original. I'm not saying it was emmy worthy or anything but at least the actors brought some charisma to their characters. In this one, they are all so dull. Liz barely had a reaction to finding out about Max. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, Starfish35 said:

Did anyone watch the Roswell reboot tonight?  I’m curious what everyone thought, even though I have no intentions of watching it myself. 😂

I watched - it removed pretty much everything that I felt heightened the stakes the first time around (the diner being full during the day vs empty at night for the gunshot, the aliens being adults who could freely move away vs underage high schoolers, etc. I will keep watching for a bit since pilots can often be overstuffed and rushed trying to establish everything,

• Love 2

I thought "Roswell, New Mexico" was fine, not great though.  I think the actress that plays Liz is quite good, but I still can't stand Nathan Parsons that plays Max.  I hated him on General Hospital, and he looks lost on this show.  I may be struggling because of the switch from high school kids to late 20's adults, but Alex plays old to me.  I liked the guy that plays Michael, we'll see.  I'll watch again next week, but I tend not to get attached to mid-season shows.

• Love 1

Just watched it.  I didn't hate it.  It's cheesy and VERY CW with it's drama and angst already turned up to 11 but I liked the pilot better than I did for Riverdale and I'm still watching that.  At least I wasn't bored.  

I've never seen the original Roswell so not being able to make comparisons probably helps.  I agree that the person that plays Liz is good.  I didn't have problem with the person that plays Max.  The person that plays Isabell(a?) kind of off.  Like she seemed to overact at times, almost to a parody point.  Same thing with the Big Military Dude and the Crazy Podcast guy.  (The aliens are coming to steal jobs!) But I'm curious to see where it goes.  

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 4
11 hours ago, Starfish35 said:

I watched it. Meh. I just felt like I had seen it all before - oh wait, I did. Like, on an alternative Earth. My initial reaction to the new cast (using character names because I don't remember all the actors' names):

Liz - not bad
Max - wooden
Isabel - unlikeable
Michael - unlikeable
Kyle - is this actor on every Julie Plec show?
Maria - prefer Majandra Delfino
Alex - prefer Colin Hanks

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

The pilot wasn't horrible and I don't mind Max & Liz (I wasn't really invested in then in the original), but somethings were disappointing for me.

Spoiler

I was so into Maria  & Michael in the original so I was bummed that they seem to be going with Michael/Alex and Maria seems side-lined. Michael seemed really immature.

I agree with @tv echo about the actors, the original show was so bad towards the end that I forgot how much chemistry was in the original cast. 

• Love 1

I never watched the final season - everyone said it was so bad.  I’ve actually been meaning to - it’s on Hulu - but file that with the last four seasons of Smallville that I keep meaning to get around to watching, but somehow never do.  

I actually liked Michael/Maria and Isabel/Alex more than Max/Liz.  Max and Liz were sweet, and the chemistry was definitely there, but I just found the other two pairings to be more interesting.

• Love 2

I missed the original so I come to this Roswell with no previous conceptions.  I liked the actress who plays Liz and I don't mind Nathan Parsons, I think he's improved since his General Hospital days.  i agree with @BkWurm1 that the actress who plays Isobel fluctuates widely, also I didn't get why Max can't have a girlfriend when she obviously has that guy she's living with.

Did Isobel run Liz off in the original? I don't get why.

My expectations were low going in; I found it okay so far but not compelling. But then, I didn't find Arrow compelling till the third episode when a certain tech genius shook the dour Arrow cave up.

10 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

Say you have a show that is performing well and the show has an established ship. The Twitter account for the show is ALWAYS promoting that main ship (12 days of Christmas, all sorts of cute things). However as I am watching the show I am seeing signs of a potential triangle or some sort of hurdle for the ship. Like anvils almost.

Would the promotion for the show be selling the ship so much if the show intended to mess up the ship or break them up? Based on the enthusiastic ship promotion can I assume the ship will be safe or do you reckon the writers of the show and the promotion do not need to be in sync and there might just be a really enthusiastic intern who likes the ship?

If it's season 2, that's when the characters get into outside relationships to stall the main ship. These inevitably end by the 4th, 5th or 6th seasons.

If the promotion is pushing the established ship, trust it. Sometimes one of the stall ships will appeal more than the original one (e.g. Wyatt/Jessica and Lucy/Flynn in Timeless Abby/Carter on ER) but don't trust it, you'll get your  heart broken.

I just rewatched the pilot of the original Roswell and even now it was still better than the remake. The stakes were higher with the diner being crowded and the Sheriff being suspicious, I actually felt like they had a reason to be worried about being discovered. The remake took all that away. Plus 16 year old Max pining after 16 year old Liz is better than a 28 year old still pining over a high school crush.  

• Love 1
14 hours ago, statsgirl said:

If it's season 2, that's when the characters get into outside relationships to stall the main ship. These inevitably end by the 4th, 5th or 6th seasons.

If the promotion is pushing the established ship, trust it. Sometimes one of the stall ships will appeal more than the original one (e.g. Wyatt/Jessica and Lucy/Flynn in Timeless Abby/Carter on ER) but don't trust it, you'll get your  heart broken.

I'm perfectly happy with the main ship. They are very sane and even though S1 tried to introduce a love triangle they still handled the love triangle in the most sensible way (It was kinda weird how sensible everyone was). 

I really hope they don't undo everything good they have been doing but I will trust your comment on trusting the promotion. The promotion is ALL about the main ship.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/chloe773/which-arrowverse-character-are-you-3qf98?utm_source=dynamic&utm_campaign=bfsharetwitter&utm_term=.pmddd6d3D&quiz_result=122177925_364668744#122177925&rid=364668744

I got Barry!!! You're all going to kick me off the forum now 😝

I reckon it's because I chose super speed as my power. I am not particularly bright so I couldn't honestly pick the "My mind is my power" answer which would have skewed it to Felicity! 

Edited by Mellowyellow
  • Love 1

I got Caitlin. I don't know that there's really a key to the result. I picked a supersuit because I don't really like weapons and everything else seemed like kind of a drag. I'd have expected you'd need to pick the ice thing there. Although now that I think about it, it could have been the Polar Bear that decided my fate.

1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

I got Barry the first time, and Ray the second time! I can live with that ;) 

I did love that they had a Least Favorite Villain question. I wanna be able to pick Derp Dragon a million times.

Did anyone pick other than KA?  I didn't even look at the rest, just saw his smug mug and clicked.  It was a reflex with no thought involved. 

• Love 6

It's so hot. So so hot! Above 86 degrees F all week. Since the old doggy has passed away (we kept aircon on for him in his old age) we are now sweltering until 5.00pm so we don't kill the polar bears (yes I know they are doomed anyway but I'd like to think I'm not dooming them faster).

Soooo hot. 1.5 hours to go 😣

• Love 1

I was reading another forum on Roswell, New Mexico and someone brought up Tess from the original.  I had blocked her out of my mind and had such a visceral reaction just to her name.  I didn't realize how traumatized I was by that show.  LOL