Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

Guys, I just got back from seeing Hamilton, and it was the best ever. Leslie Odom, Jr. as Burr has a voice like butter, and sang what has been the most beautiful thing I've ever heard in my life. I died, got reborn, and now have the strength to make it through the end of this season of Arrow. Bring it, MG! I can take anything you've got. (Please don't be too terribad.)

I'm so happy that you loved it. I'm seeing it in two weeks, and it's all I can think about.

• Love 1
  • Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going in three months and can't wait. I really need to stop listening to the soundtrack though, so it stays fresh for me.

I'm seeing it two months and I keep thinking I should stop listening too, but I honestly cannot. I talked to Colin Donnell about it at HVFF this weekend. He's seen in twice and said it would blow every expectation away.

• Love 3

If I needed a reminder that you should never read comments on the internet, today I had one. After seeing a trailer for a movie I made the mistake of scrolling the comments to look for the original title of the book it's based upon, and some dick spoiled the ending. :/ And they were even acting righteous about it, because the book has been out there for years, so it was nothing new!

My apologies to those here in the Arrow forum that were accidentally spoiled, I feel your pain.

I remember a friend spoiled the twist in the first Knights of Old Republic game for me (it was a seriously huge twist, and really shocking at that time). I'm not even a big fan of the game, but I'm still pissed off. 

Edited by FurryFury

I have a friend who constanly spoils things. She tells me about the movie she's seen and she presents the entire plot, start to finish. I've stopped trying to get her to stop because I don't think she does it on purpose. Luckily, we don't have similar tastes.

See, weirdly enough, I'm a spoiler-aholic. I need to know everything about the book/game/show/movie I'm looking at so I can focus on other aspects of the plot rather than being too caught up on any surprises thrown at me. It lets me know whether a story is worth getting overwhelmed for or invested in. That way I usually examine execution and technical aspects of what's going on (writing, development, acting) and push aside my emotional reaction so I can get it over with before I actually look at what's going on. It's awful, I know, but I can't stop doing it...I've already hunted down some spoilers for BvS.

• Love 2

I was always spoiler phobic until I started watching Arrow and Supernatural.  I don't even know when I changed my thinking on spoilers either. LOL 

Yet I avoid Twitter when an episode is airing but I seek spoilers and speculate before the episode airs. I guess that's because I figure that spoilers can always be wrong or straight up foilers.

I'm so weird.

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 1

Me too. I'd probably watch it if I had somebody to watch it with, but I'm in another city right now and I can't even watch it in English (I hate dubs). So, I'll have to skip it... not that broken up about it, anyway.

I really have no desire to spend the money to see BvS. I also don't seem to see much excitement for it. It's not like it was for Deadpool or CA: Civil War now. I want Wonder Woman to do well. I'm still not sold on the actress choice. She was completely forgettable in the Fast and Furious movies. Gina Carano made more of an impression on me. It wasn't a good one but I at least remembered she existed in the movie. 

• Love 1

I really have no desire to spend the money to see BvS. I also don't seem to see much excitement for it. It's not like it was for Deadpool or CA: Civil War now. I want Wonder Woman to do well. I'm still not sold on the actress choice. She was completely forgettable in the Fast and Furious movies. Gina Carano made more of an impression on me. It wasn't a good one but I at least remembered she existed in the movie. 

I hope Gal Godot knocks it out of the park. I've been impressed with what we've seen in the sneak peeks so far (the one with her and Bruce Wayne)... And her fight scenes in sneak peeks too have been great.

• Love 1

Wonder Woman is the only upcoming DC movie I have any interest in. It's crazy to me that Patty Jenkins has not made a movie since Monster, so I'm hoping it makes tons of cash and gives her more opportunities to direct in the future.

I'll see it and am kind of looking forward to it but not so much that I'll rush for opening weekend. I'll catch it eventually.

I have a feeling it's not going to be emotionally satisfying. The Supeman worship is weird and not really about him as an individual and I've yet to like a live action Batman so keeping my expectations low. I'm afraid it's just going to be a lot of grey tinted fighting. Yawn.

I hope Gal Godot knocks it out of the park. I've been impressed with what we've seen in the sneak peeks so far (the one with her and Bruce Wayne)... And her fight scenes in sneak peeks too have been great.

I hope she does too. Because I want to see a female led super hero show do well so we can get more. It's just that the only thing I saw Gal Gadot in she was forgettable. I hope DC made the right casting choice. 

• Love 2

I hope she does too. Because I want to see a female led super hero show do well so we can get more. It's just that the only thing I saw Gal Gadot in she was forgettable. I hope DC made the right casting choice. 

I'll chalk it up to her role on Fast and Furious as being forgettable because she was merely a background character and someone who wasn't really important to the franchise... :) 

I'm very interested in seeing Batman vs Superman. I'm not seeing it Opening day and a friend of mine and I are planning on seeing it the Monday after but it's not set in stone. I'm pumped to see a Big screen version of Wonder Woman as well. Love Both Batman and Superman but Batman is no 1 in my heart so I'm rooting for him to kick his ass a little bit lol

I think I'm still a bit resentful that instead if getting another Superman movie that could have made up for the lack of characterization in the last one we got Batman AGAIN. It's probably going to be good. I don't think DC can afford for it not to be.

• Love 1

I think I'm still a bit resentful that instead if getting another Superman movie that could have made up for the lack of characterization in the last one we got Batman AGAIN. It's probably going to be good. I don't think DC can afford for it not to be.

I agree. I liked what I saw of Henry Cavill's Clark Kent, but we barely saw him as Superman in Man of Steel. I was looking forward to seeing him develop that in the followup movie, but since he has to share screen and story time with Batman 5.0 I wonder how much we'll get.

I have a few shows on my list that I haven't seen and want to know what I should binge watch first... I'd appreciate all of your input! :D

• Daredevil S1 & 2
  • Supergirl
  • Sense8
  • Mr. Robot
  • Blindspot
  • LoT

LoT is goofy, but fun. I liked it a lot more than I expected, despite some weak spots (Vandal Savage and the Hawks). Blindspot is basically a procedural with a running mystery. Jamie Alexander is good, but the rest of the characters, including the male lead, are boring cliches. Daredevil S1 is very well produced/written/acted. It's pretty dark and gritty and IMO, takes itself very seriously. 

• Love 2

I have a few shows on my list that I haven't seen and want to know what I should binge watch first... I'd appreciate all of your input! :D

• Daredevil S1 & 2
  • Supergirl
  • Sense8
  • Mr. Robot
  • Blindspot
  • LoT

I loved Sense8, it's a slow moving character study with a supernaturalish twist. I enjoyed the scenery as well since they actually shot it in about 7 different countries. All the characters were interesting as well and how they used their unique abilities to help each other. 

Daredevil season 1 was slow, it picks up in the last few episodes. I just finished Season 2 and it was way better than the first season. It's very action packed while also letting the characters breathe. Something Arrow as failed to do. 

LoT is a fun show that doesn't take itself too seriously so I don't either. Also for me the biggest draw was Sara and she's even more awesome than she was on Arrow. Her, Captain Cold and Rip are the best things about the show. 

I gave up on Blindspot because I thought it would be more mystery than a by the numbers procedural that it turned out to be. The procedural part being the least interesting part along with the bland male lead. I gave up on Supergirl for being too cheesy for my liking. They had a chance to go deeper but they seem to want to keep it light and fluffy where everyone is forgiven at the end of episode. 

• Love 2

• Daredevil S1 & 2
  • Supergirl
  • Sense8
  • Mr. Robot
  • Blindspot
  • LoT

Mr. Robot is not like anything I've watched before.  It was mesmerizing.  That one would be good for a binge watch as long as you are in the mood to think.  If you are, I'd start here. 

If you want fun and are willing to not worry to much about logic, I'd go for Legands of Tomorrow.  The first two episodes were entertaining if not great, but it just kept getting better and they are fantastic about mixing and matching who works with who.  Sara is just awesome.  Ray is dorky and not allowed to be too cocky.  I like him.  Even the weaker links are getting better.   I've rewatched every episode. 

Supergirl I enjoy and I think has now really found it's stride.  I think the relationships between Kara, Cat, her sister and Hank at the DAO (secret military blah, blah, blah) are solid and at times even wonderful, but her two co-workers at Work are hit or miss.  

Haven't seen the others. 

I got bored with Blindspot.  The male lead was bad enough that I was giggling in the first episodes as he growled at everyone.  Not showing a lot of nuance at least in the beginning.  So flat and stiff that it makes SA's Arrow S1 performance look like John Barrowman at Comicon.  But I liked the other side characters as well as the female lead. If I didn't have tons of other shows on Monday night I probably would still be watching it.

I gave up on Supergirl for being too cheesy for my liking. They had a chance to go deeper but they seem to want to keep it light and fluffy where everyone is forgiven at the end of episode.

You really should check out the most recent episode.  Probably best of the season. 

• Love 3

• Daredevil S1 & 2
  • Supergirl
  • Sense8
  • Mr. Robot
  • Blindspot
  • LoT

I haven't seen Sense8 or Mr. Robot, but have heard great things about both.

Supergirl isn't perfect, but it has been getting better and better. Melissa Benoist is terrific and the biggest reason it works. Very simliar in tone to The Flash.

I like LoT more than I thought I would. They do a good job of writing for the whole team, and if you don't let yourself get caught up in all the timey-wimey stuff if can be a lot of fun. I like all of the characters here more than I did on the shows they spun-off of. Sara especially is awesome.

I haven't watched S2 of Daredevil yet, but I really enjoyed S1. Very dark (literally and figuratively), often violent. If you miss good stunts on Arrow, Daredevil will fill that void.

I gave up on Blindspot after a few episodes. I really didn't like the male lead, and overall thought it was a little boring and predictable.

I don't mean to change the subject, but I did have to chime in to say that I just got to "Pusher" in my X-Files binge, and my Mulder and Scully feels are too real. I already know it's going to be a very slow burn, but gosh I love these two. 

Edited by Coop33
  • Love 2

my Mulder and Scully feels are too real. I already know it's going to be a very slow burn, but gosh I love these two.

Me too.  I watched the series and saw the movies and waved anytime any of the characters showed up on any of my other shows but that was about it.  So when they did the reboot, I was walloped by their chemistry all over again. 

• Love 1

I don't mean to change the subject, but I did have to chime in to say that I just got to "Pusher" in my X-Files binge, and my Mulder and Scully feels are too real. I already know it's going to be a very slow burn, but gosh I love these two.

I've already waxed eloquently about my undying adoration for that episode so I just get so happy when other people feel the same way. <3

• Love 2

• Daredevil S1 & 2
  • Supergirl
  • Sense8
  • Mr. Robot
  • Blindspot
  • LoT

I don't really like the lead character of Mr Robot but I've only seen 1 episode. I think the trope of angry, misunderstood, socially maladjusted, male genius just tires me out nowadays. 

I plan on binging Supergirl once I can get my hands on it. 

Daredevil I didn't watch the last episode season 1, even though I forced myself to watch all the rest. 

Blindspot has potential but the 2 leads are hard to connect with and sometime the amnesiac should push her way into situation she doesn't know about. I find her at times so demanding, and I'm unsympathetic.

Hmmm seems I'm really negative about a lot of stuff...so not really much help.

I'm kinda excite to watch BvS, mainly because I got free tickets through work. I'm looking forward to Wonderwoman.

• Love 1

The movie is directed by Zack Snyder, it's going to be bad. All his movies are. His Superman movie was so bad I just switched it off with about ten minutes of that endless fight scene between Zod and Cavill to go. Dull, grey, bland, lifeless. On a par with Michael Bay's worst.

I'm more interested in the Wonder Woman movie, but I'm afraid I don't see any way in which DC/Warner Brothers don't make an unholy mess of it. None of DC's movies look good.

Daredevil S1 & 2

Supergirl

Sense8

Mr. Robot

Blindspot

LoT

Daredevil is tremendous. The first season is great, and so far season 2 is measuring up to be as good. Jon Bernthal is outstanding in his role.

Mr. Robot was really good. A very novel idea for a TV show, and one that worked well.

Legends of Tomorrow is silly, occasionally fun, with so much cheese you'd be able to eat omelettes for a week.

Not watched the others.

You should check out Twelve Monkeys, if you haven't already. That was a lot of fun. And The Expanse, which was better.

• Love 1

I gave up halfway through Man of Steel, it was just so boring and I really think Superman should be fun. I get that it's hard when you're pretty much rehashing what someone has already done multiple times, but that doesn't mean that you can't get an engaging film out of it.

I'll probably see Batman v. Superman, although I'm not excited about it.  The promos all look like just a lot of explosions and property damage. I'm also not a fan of Ben Affleck. I never read the comics and I still can't understand how Batman could ever defeat Superman, unless he used kryptonite - but then anyone could defeat Superman with kryptonite.  Without it, your only defense against Superman is his compassion and reluctance to kill.

I've lost interest in Blindspot.  I agree the male lead (Sullivan Stapleton) is pretty wooden on the show.  FYI, someone told me that Stapleton is much different in Strike Back, a now cancelled U.S./British TV series on Cinemax about two ex-military men who work for a secret black ops government agency, so I watched that series.  Surprise, he shows a lot more personality in Strike Back.

Edited by tv echo

The movie is directed by Zack Snyder, it's going to be bad. All his movies are. His Superman movie was so bad I just switched it off with about ten minutes of that endless fight scene between Zod and Cavill to go. Dull, grey, bland, lifeless. On a par with Michael Bay's worst.

That fight was the most boring fight scene I'd ever seen. They just threw each other through buildings for what felt like half an hour. 

• Love 2

• Daredevil S1 & 2
  • Supergirl
  • Sense8
  • Mr. Robot
  • Blindspot
  • LoT

Daredevil - I didn't like season one much, so I haven't bothered with season two.  Personally I thought Jessica Jones was much better. But I know most people liked it a lot so I'm in the minority with this one.

Supergirl - It's fun, but I mostly watch for Cat and Hank. I also don't mind much if I miss an episode.

Sense8 - Loved this show. It was great.

Mr. Robot - Only seen the first three episodes, but I will watch the rest eventually.

Blindspot - Hahahaha...no. Not for me. :)

LOT - It's fun as long as I ignore the time travel nonsense. I usually don't watch it in real time, though. I love Sara on LOT and I was kinda ambivalent about her on Arrow. Captain Cold is my fave because of Wentworth Miller. 

• Love 1

It really depends on your mood, I think.

LOT's silly breezy fun, nothing very emotional so far (except for that one thing), humor, different relationship dynamics.

Daredevil's season 1 is uneven, but s2 is much better so far (I've seen 8 episodes). Worth watching just for Punisher, I'd say - the casting is phenomenal.

Mr Robot is probably the freshest, most original and innovative show I've seen in ages. But it may be a bit hard to watch at times, it has a very different feel to most of the stuff on TV. But definitely worth watching if you want something more cerebral.

Still haven't watched sens8 - it starts kinda slow, but I'll get to it eventually.

• Love 1

Okay, so, Daredevil S2. No spoilers.

I was pretty psyched about Bernthal's casting, bc he's super-intense in every role and I figured he'd kill it. And he did. By far my favorite thing about the season, and I really hope he gets his own series. Didn't care about the whole zombie/vampire teenagers plus ninjas plots AT ALL. I like Stick. I like Foggy, which is maybe controversial? Matt was a bit meh, same with Elektra, although their fight scenes were cool. Don't like Karen. She's a bit of an overcooked noodle, plus sooooooo breathy all the time. She does the quavery voice thing for nearly every sentence, in nearly every scene. Blecch, and zero chemistry with Matt. 

Also, I kind of have no idea what happened. Does the plot matter? Did I miss anything important?

I would really like to know that the dog's okay, but I'm going to assume no news/sightings/doggie yelps was good news. 

Oh, I still like the Night Nurse, and I love Foggy's bitchy ex. I think she's my favorite female character on the show. Except for a guest late in the season I won't spoil.

Edited by AyChihuahua
  • Love 2

I decided to give Daredevil another try. I got stuck on episode 3 last year because I just didn't care what happened next (unlike Jessica Jones which I burned through so fast). I'm now on episode 7. Still don't care tbh. LOL. It's slow going. I hope s2 is better.

Edited by Angel12d
  • Love 2

It really depends on your mood, I think.

LOT's silly breezy fun, nothing very emotional so far (except for that one thing), humor, different relationship dynamics.

Yeah, them somehow managing to pick a fight with Boba Fett was pretty emotional.

I back all the suggestions to watch Supergirl.  I like it, it's lighthearted so you're not hit over the head with hopelessness, the actors can pull off the drama, all the characters are likeable, and that goes especially for Melissa Benoist as Kara.  Seriously, she's just so damn likeable, also she's way too adorable.

• Love 1

Happy Norooz to anybody celebrating the Persian new year!

I was invited to attend my first Norooz party last night by my PhD students from Iran, and it was delightful--dancing, laughter, and food! That was the third cultural new year I've celebrated this year: Western, Chinese, and Persian.

Does anybody here celebrate a non-Western new year? I'm having so much fun learning about the different holidays.

• Love 3

Well we in Russia have two New Years, the standard one (January 1) and the Old New Year (January 14). And there's also Orthodox Christmas in between (January 7). It's pretty much two weeks of non-stop drinking.

But that's probably not quite what you were asking about :)

• Love 4

Happy Norooz to anybody celebrating the Persian new year!

I was invited to attend my first Norooz party last night by my PhD students from Iran, and it was delightful--dancing, laughter, and food! That was the third cultural new year I've celebrated this year: Western, Chinese, and Persian.

Does anybody here celebrate a non-Western new year? I'm having so much fun learning about the different holidays.

Jewish New year ie "Rosh Hashanah" happens usually in Sep (occasionally early Oct), we eat lots of sweet food, we drink a bit, and than pretend no one said anything insulting to anyone (but that just might be my family).

• Love 1

I saw SA post on his FB wall that he's going to start promoting TMNT soon and I just couldn't help but think that TMNT still sounds like the most ridiculous thing ever that I get second hand embarrassment from even thinking about it.

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 1

I saw SA post on his FB wall that he's going to start promoting TMNT soon and I just couldn't help but think that TMNT still sounds like the most ridiculous thing ever that I get second hand embarrassment from even thinking about it.

I wonder if we'll hear much about Arrow from now til the finale? Hopefully he has a con or two planned between now and then.