Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

I am taking my 76yo husband to a new ear doctor today. Wish me luck on having to argue his wrinkled old cheap butt into getting some real (expensive) hearing aids.

I  have already bought him 2 pair of OTC ones, and they were great while they lasted. He has broken one of one pair by stepping on it, and lost  one of the others at church.

He said he was ready to buy real ones, and asked me to make an appointment  with a new ear doctor and would buy some that the new doctor recommends (he acted like such an ass at his former  doctor that I think he's embarrassed to face him again.)

Today is the day that he either holds true to his word, or I kick him to the curb! (He has the money, btw, but when he opens his wallet, moths fly out because he so seldom does. )🤣

Lego Ninjago Dancing GIF by LEGO

• Like 4
  • Hugs 9
  • Sad 1
  • LOL 4
(edited)

Ugh..they don't do hearing tests at this location..wth..now I have to make another appointment. Phooey. I wish it would have detailed that when I made this appointment online. 😭

Ps at least he can get his earwax cleaned out today 😆 

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Like 4
  • Hugs 6
  • Wink 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
58 minutes ago, ChiCricket said:

Ugh..they don't do hearing tests at this location..wth..now I have to make another appointment. Phooey. I wish it would have detailed that when I made this appointment online. 😭

Ps at least he can get his earwax cleaned out today 😆 

cosco does hearing exams!

• Like 4
  • Useful 2

@ChiCricket he is lucky to have you! Sorry you have to make another appointment.

Happy Mardi Gras to everyone.Mardi Gras GIF We had King Cake AND Paczki at my house this weekend. 😃

Today wouldve been my godmother's 74th birthday. My Mom is sad, and shared some throwback memories on Facebook. I promised her I would take good care of Cosmo and I think I have kept my promise, I seem to have got him on a good course of meds for this arthritis, but I need to order the restock of the medicine sooner, it doesnt come as quickly as the other items from Chewy.   

• Like 6
  • Hugs 9
(edited)
50 minutes ago, zoomama said:

I wonder if we can use our insurance there? 

Ps $35 copay just to clean wax out of an ear he can't hear out of anyway.🙄😁

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Like 3
  • LOL 2

Omg nyc shut down because of a snow storm 5-8 inches tops. In the end barely anything accumulated and IMO everything shut down for NOTHING. Well at least I got a day off! 

I think 3 inches fell if that. I mean wow nyc gotten soft.

• LOL 8
5 minutes ago, ChiCricket said:

I wonder if we can use our insurance there? 

I don't think they take insurance, but the hearing tests are free. We had to schedule an appointment for the test. I passed, but my husband's result was odd, so they recommended he go to another doctor. We ended up cancelling his hearing aids because at that time we thought they might be added to medicare. That didn't happen, so we haven't gotten around to rescheduling. 

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 2
(edited)

😁

13 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

I mean wow nyc gotten soft.

You are starting to sound like an OLD ( like me)

But I really walked ½ a mile to elementary school in the snow....with snow pants under a skirt or dress..brrrrrr.

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Like 7
(edited)

The doctor did tell me that the hearing aids might possibly be partially covered by our insurance. She said this a normal tone of voice, so my husband didn't hear a word of it.😁

The reason I mentioned that he didn't hear that, is because I'm going to tell the doctor to tell him how much they cost without insurance, and then if our insurance does cover any of it, he'll feel like he got a great deal on them. 🤣

And if they're not covered he won't be disappointed.

ps anyone  ever figure out how to remove emojis on these posts? I sometimes go a little nuts with them and want to edit them out later..and I just CAN'T erase them 😭😁

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Like 6

I was just going to post the same thing.  Costco is the highest rated place for hearing aids in Consumer Reports.  I have had several friends go to Costco for exams and hearing aids, and all I have ever heard is how wonderful their service is.

• Like 6
  • Useful 6
1 hour ago, ChiCricket said:

😁

But I really walked ½ a mile to elementary school in the snow....with snow pants under a skirt or dress..brrrrrr.

Me, too.  I was always so happy the first day I didn't have to wear my snow pants.  I could actually skip again.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
(edited)
51 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

I was just going to post the same thing.  Costco is the highest rated place for hearing aids in Consumer Reports.  I have had several friends go to Costco for exams and hearing aids, and all I have ever heard is how wonderful their service is.

I've had excellent experiences at Costco's hearing aid center. My Medicare advantage plan with a major HMO has a benefit for hearing aids. But even with that benefit/discount applied, the cost of hearing aids at Costco was about half what I would have paid my HMO for the devices. That was a few years ago when I got my first hearing aids.

I haven't even bothered to go back to my HMO, just continued with Costco. For hearing tests (free), and then almost three years ago, for new hearing aids. The current pair are rechargeable (vs using those tiny batteries which can be a PITA to deal with, IMO). Last fall I realized that one of the hearing aids wasn't holding a charge. I went back to Costco, thinking they were out of warranty after more than two years. But nope, I was assured they should be holding a charge all day. I lived without them for almost two weeks while they went in for service, but got them back good as new - at no cost to me. I don't have a profound hearing loss but the hearing aids do make a difference and I'm glad to have them. 

@ChiCricket - good luck with the hearing aids, insurance, etc. 

@Scarlett45 - I think you've been 101% faithful in caring for Cosmo, and in otherwise honoring your godmother. ❤️

Edited by Jeeves
  • Like 12
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, zoomama said:

My 60 year-old husband's ENT examined him, told him he needed hearing aids, and recommended he go to Costco to get them. He will pick up his new ones in a couple of weeks after going to Costco yesterday.

• Like 8
  • Useful 4
(edited)
4 hours ago, ChiCricket said:

ps anyone  ever figure out how to remove emojis on these posts? I sometimes go a little nuts with them and want to edit them out later..and I just CAN'T erase them

I backspaced and got rid of them for you.  I'm not sure why you can't by editing your post.

Edited by Ancaster

Is it wrong that even though I've been separated then divorced from my ex for over 15 years, it still bothers me that every Valentine's Day I remember that he never recognized it/me.  And forget about our wedding anniversary.  Even birthdays were hit and miss (and I don't mean getting a present, even an acknowledgement wasn't a given).

• Hugs 11
  • Sad 6
6 minutes ago, Ancaster said:

Is it wrong that even though I've been separated then divorced from my ex for over 15 years, it still bothers me that every Valentine's Day I remember that he never recognized it/me.  And forget about our wedding anniversary.  Even birthdays were hit and miss (and I don't mean getting a present, even an acknowledgement wasn't a given).

He'd be my ex as well. Mr. Kitty is recently retired (early, long story). He has all day tomorrow to buy a card and maybe some chocolate. 

We'll see. 

He's better with birthdays and anniversaries. 

• Like 6
14 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Today wouldve been my godmother's 74th birthday. My Mom is sad, and shared some throwback memories on Facebook. I promised her I would take good care of Cosmo and I think I have kept my promise, I seem to have got him on a good course of meds for this arthritis, but I need to order the restock of the medicine sooner, it doesnt come as quickly as the other items from Chewy.   

You have given Cosmo a good life, the answer is yes you have kept your promise.

We recently had to put ours on arthritis meds too, and get a couple set of stairs (chihuahua). He only takes half a pill a day so a bottle lasts a good while, but may have to look into what it would cost with Chewy. Getting them from my vet right now.

• Like 9
  • Hugs 4
15 hours ago, ChiCricket said:

😁

Snow is mostly gone today. So all that panic was for nothing. 

• Like 4
  • Hugs 2
11 hours ago, Ancaster said:

Sounds like the divorce only enriched your life! He was lucky to be in your presence.

No, you’re not wrong, you’re a human being with feelings like the rest of us. It’s hard when we don’t feel appreciated or recognized by people we love. But it’s a reflection on them not us!

• Like 2
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

Snow is mostly gone today. So all that panic was for nothing. 

We had a lovely snowfall here in CT. It was a good day for snuggling down in front of a nice fire.PXL_20240213_1710388024.thumb.jpg.1bf731991887d80102079242cec06c9b.jpg

• Like 7
  • Love 10

Snowed here (PA) Monday into Tuesday. Lost power Tuesday morning. We’re now in the last loop of restoration. Estimate now is tomorrow afternoon. It had been last night, so we’ll see. We got almost 12”. Streets are good, the grill having propane is a plus. 😁

• Mind Blown 9

Hope all in the east are staying warm.

We have been off to Arizona the last week or so for crazy mrcrazy8s to run the Mesa marathon this past Sunday. He finished within a minute of the time he was aiming for, so he is happy with his results.

But it was very cold and rainy. I cheered him and his friends wearing all out winter snow/rain gear down to the heat pack hand warmers. I did not expect to see people being brought in from the race with hypothermia, but there were loads of them being brought in for care.

Some of our plans were cancelled because too much snow! We did a lot of hiking anyway and it was a great adventure.

• Like 19

It's so nice to see everyone! I missed an entire week of work last week because of bronchitis. Thankfully, I only work 5-6 hours a day because I've been having a 2-3 hour nap after work and then going to bed at 10 pm. Besides the after-work fatigue, I can't shake this cough. It's not the constant phlegmy bronchitis cough, it sounds yucky but I'm not coughing anything up.  

• Hugs 20

gosh nysha, feel better! that is no bueno.   ifinally saw the sr and asked about the constant headache that i have had for weeks and he says 'sinus infection. so more antibiotics and pro-biotics for me. pressure is getting better but slowly.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 11
On 2/14/2024 at 12:42 PM, Jynnan tonnix said:

We had a lovely snowfall here in CT. It was a good day for snuggling down in front of a nice fire.PXL_20240213_1710388024.thumb.jpg.1bf731991887d80102079242cec06c9b.jpg

That’s a lovely shot.  I fear NC won’t see any this year. (We had a few flurries a few weeks ago, that I don’t count.) 

• Like 6

It's bright and sunny here. Cold though - high of 28 today. 

Yesterday we went to Costco and I noticed two odd people, whom I immediately felt wary of. They didn't appear to be together. First I noticed a thirtyish man with an angry look on his face. He didn't have a cart and he kept getting in our way. The woman was perhaps late 30's, all bundled up inside the store, also with no cart. Neither one appeared to be buying anything. They made me think of spies, like on the Americans or something. It was so strange! I asked my non-observant husband about them and he had noticed them too! If they were secret shoppers, they weren't good at it, because they didn't appear to be shopping. Honestly, I wondered if they were casing the joint or thinking of opening fire. Why must we live in such a weird timeline? 😟

• Like 3
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Hugs 8
  • Sad 2
On 2/18/2024 at 8:29 AM, BetyBee said:

We went to the shelter and adopted a ginger male. He's 4.5, according to their Vet.That puts his birthday in mid August, so we named him Leo. He's super affectionate and follows me everywhere! A lap cat is a first for me. He's filling the hole Midnight left in our lives. It's so different to have a young cat around the house! He's playful and funny. And he has a much different (kind of small) meow, which sounds funny coming from a 15 lb bruiser!

Congratulations! 

Any pics? 

• Like 3
  • Love 2
On 2/18/2024 at 5:29 AM, BetyBee said:

We went to the shelter and adopted a ginger male. He's 4.5, according to their Vet.That puts his birthday in mid August, so we named him Leo. He's super affectionate and follows me everywhere! A lap cat is a first for me. He's filling the hole Midnight left in our lives. It's so different to have a young cat around the house! He's playful and funny. And he has a much different (kind of small) meow, which sounds funny coming from a 15 lb bruiser!

I have a ginger girl! She's a sweetheart. Congratulations on joining the ginger club. ❤️

• Like 5
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

Both cats are adorable. Leo has the same expression when ever I take a picture of my cat.

Leo looks kind of grumpy in that photo, but he's not at all. I've never had such an affectionate cat before. He's a lap cat who puts his head back when I'm holding him and he looks at me with such a loving and contented look. I guess we needed each other because he's been such a comfort to me since losing my Mom and our sweet, old kitty. @Salacious Kitty - Demelza is a sweetheart! I love ginger cats.

• Like 5
  • Love 15

Such beautiful cats!  I love ginger cats, but I don't have one that is all ginger.  My Freya is a calico with some large ginger patches.  I think ginger cats tend to be sweet natured.  I had one very large ginger boy that was the best natured cat I've ever had.

• Like 3
  • Love 9

I heard from an old "friend" I had happily lost touch with. She called, ostensibly to offer condolences on the loss of my Mom, but blathered on about herself and criticized every mutual acquaintance she could think of, including our dear, childhood friend who passed away in 2019. I was shocked! She also criticized a childhood friend and neighbor, who she knows I'm still very close to. I had forgotten what a mean gossip she always was! I kept trying to get off the phone and finally just said "gotta go" after she "joked" about stocking up on arsenic in case her husband's dementia gets any worse! I could tell she was planning to call me regularly, so I blocked her number. The older I get, the less tolerance I have for energy vampires. 

• Like 3
  • Mind Blown 3
  • Hugs 3
  • Applause 15
(edited)
12 hours ago, BetyBee said:

Leo looks kind of grumpy in that photo, but he's not at all. I've never had such an affectionate cat before. He's a lap cat who puts his head back when I'm holding him and he looks at me with such a loving and contented look. I guess we needed each other because he's been such a comfort to me since losing my Mom and our sweet, old kitty. @Salacious Kitty - Demelza is a sweetheart! I love ginger cats.

I caught Demelza playing with her favorite toy (she sleeps with it). She isn't so cranky looking by nature. She's a lovebug. 🥰

Edited by Salacious Kitty
  • Like 7
  • Love 2
23 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Under Site Business, there are two new messages in Site Guidelines, just an FYI.

Clueless here. Is site business for regular users or moderators? I don't see any such link anywhere.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Iguessnot said:

Clueless here. Is site business for regular users or moderators? I don't see any such link anywhere.

Go to the very top of your page. You should see a green banner that (once you tap on it) takes you to their message.