Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

10 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I once went for a mammogram and got a cranky tech. I was left with a bruise that lasted for months. Probably closer to a year. When I complained nobody cared. Not my OB-GYN, not my primary care physician and most certainly not the hospital when I complained about the procedure and lasting physical damage. It took years…quite a few years before I was willing to go back for another. It may be routine for them to do them, but it isn’t always easy for us. Would a little kindness hurt? 

I have a heart condition, so I have echocardiograms regularly.  I know they have to press hard to be able to see my heart (and the fact that I have a lot on top doesn't help). One year I yelped in pain because the tech was pressing so hard on my sternum. She yelled at me that she had to press that hard to be able to see.  A couple of days later I realized I had bruises where she had pressed so hard.  At least it confirmed how I was feeling. 

Techs need to realize there are humans attached to the body part they are looking at.  

• Hugs 13

I just saw a new doctor who specializes in long-Covid, though apparently he's also a PCP.  He was so wonderful I actually had tears in my eyes at one point  two points.  The appointment didn't last particularly long, but I felt heard, understood, and respected, and that everything I needed to talk about was listened to, and he seemed to ask all the questions he needed.  At one point I said I didn't like my PCP, who basically said "You might have long Covid, go see someone else."  Dr Lovely then said he might be able to recommend someone before I left.  At the end of the appt he asked what kind of PCP I was looking for and I mentioned someone I thought he might know (community connections) - he didn't, so I said, "Someone like you then (wry laugh), but I understand you're not taking new patients."  He told me he'd fit me in.  More tears.

I sat in the carpark for a while afterwards, just feeling relieved and grateful.  I don't know if anyone here has long Covid, but it's quite a lonely thing - not many people "get" it because it's one of those invisible problems.  It was such a relief to talk to someone who understands and even anticipated some of the issues that can be hard to understand. The first time I teared up was when he gave the perfect analogy, describing it as like a new cell phone, at first it works well and seems to hold a charge forever, but gradually the battery runs down faster and faster and the phone never seems to work at 100% any more.

Thanks for reading.

Edited by Ancaster
  • Hugs 18
  • Love 4

So many folks I know have given up perfume for good. Many workplaces don't allow it and the folks I know pretty much only go out on weekends - if at all, so not many opportunities to wear it.

I was actually shocked a few year back, maybe five or so, when I walked through a department during the Christmas season. I passed through the rather large perfume section and couldn't handle the smells. Something that was so normal growing up, just hit me and I was like, they still allow this?

Nothing against perfume wearers. I wore it back in the day.

• Like 11
1 hour ago, awaken said:

I work with breasts every day and have had patients with bruises on them from rough handling from other healthcare providers. It’s so infuriating and completely unnecessary. 

These stories are just so awful and so wrong.  I'm frankly horrified that this is going on.

• Like 5
  • Sad 2
On 12/4/2023 at 7:50 PM, CalicoKitty said:

I had my radiation mask made this morning.  It was interesting.  The mask does not cover the face at all.  Two people took some very warm, sticky mesh material and formed it around the outside of my face, pulled it tight, and left it to dry.  It has hooks of some kind on the edges which they hook to the neck support on the bed, so you are unable to move your head, but your face is not covered.  It had to dry for several minutes before they could take it off, put my name on it, and store it for my next appointment.  I had a CT scan while it dried.  Then I went to another location and had another MRI.  My radiation will start for real next Tuesday and will continue everyday the rest of the week and Monday the following week.  Not sure what the schedule is for the next MRI or CT, but this office really has things organized.  They just need to give better driving directions and maps. Got a little lost getting to the MRI place today, but made it on time anyway.  I'm so glad I have a driver.  She is always get me there on time.  This is turning out to be quite an adventure.

Your attitude is so amazing @CalicoKitty.  Thank you for sharing your experiences, I hope it might help you a little in getting through the appointments and everything to write things down and also to know a bunch of lovely people, and me (ha), are pulling for you and praying for you in our own little prayer closets.*  I'm glad too you've found your person to drive you to and maybe help you out in other ways?

*  I've never actually watched a Duggar show, but I've always imagined they have a kind of confessional for one with a TV camera instead of a priest?

Edited by Ancaster
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
2 hours ago, awaken said:

I work with breasts every day and have had patients with bruises on them from rough handling from other healthcare providers. It’s so infuriating and completely unnecessary. 

This is the best opening line I've read in a long time.  I've had a pretty shitty week, and for some reason this makes me feel better, so "Thank you" @awaken

• Like 3
  • Hugs 7
10 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

I don’t like wearing perfume at all. Is that weird? 

I'm the same. It seems like I receive scented candles every Christmas, even though I'm not a fan. I stopped wearing perfumes at least 20 years ago. I started to notice my sensitivity to scents in my 40s, when I could hardly stand to be in the detergent aisle at the grocery store. I also found it hard to breathe in the rug section of Ikea. I guess I'm a weirdo, but I'm a weirdo who knows my limitations!

• Like 9
22 minutes ago, BetyBee said:

I'm the same. It seems like I receive scented candles every Christmas, even though I'm not a fan. I stopped wearing perfumes at least 20 years ago. I started to notice my sensitivity to scents in my 40s, when I could hardly stand to be in the detergent aisle at the grocery store. I also found it hard to breathe in the rug section of Ikea. I guess I'm a weirdo, but I'm a weirdo who knows my limitations!

I'm a weirdo too! I can tolerate berry scented candles, but few others. The Bounce dryer sheet box is a killer. We do use scented, which I tolerate fine on my clothes after the dryer, but the box - oh goodness no. Certain perfumes on others bother me greatly, but some not so much. I think its the filler, not necessarily the scents themselves.

But man, if I run into a scent I can't tolerate, my throat/mouth notices before my nose. They start tingling and like pinging, then I feel like I can taste it. Not allergies really, just a super sensitivity.

• Like 7
16 hours ago, Lisa418722 said:

I have a heart condition, so I have echocardiograms regularly.  I know they have to press hard to be able to see my heart (and the fact that I have a lot on top doesn't help). One year I yelped in pain because the tech was pressing so hard on my sternum. She yelled at me that she had to press that hard to be able to see.  A couple of days later I realized I had bruises where she had pressed so hard.  At least it confirmed how I was feeling. 

Techs need to realize there are humans attached to the body part they are looking at.

I have echos on the regular.  They do not have to press hard.  My cardiologist had a tech who always left me bruised (well twice).  He used the lame excuse of he had to press harder.  I complained and the dr fired him.  The new tech doesn't press hard at all.  She says it's about proper positioning and angle not pushing.  My heart is slightly off from where they expect it to be.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 12
  • Useful 2
4 hours ago, BetyBee said:

I am allergic to wheat, and I avoid the bread aisle if at all possible.  I have trouble breathing, and the bread smell is too overwhelming.  If I have to go down that aisle, I hold my breath the whole time. I stopped  wearing perfumes many years ago, too.

• Like 4
  • Hugs 4
  • Sad 1
6 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

The Bounce dryer sheet box is a killer. We do use scented, which I tolerate fine on my clothes after the dryer, but the box - oh goodness no.

For me it's anything Gain scented.  I've had to switch to Tide Free lately due to some skin irritation from the perfumes in detergents.    

• Like 9
2 hours ago, Absolom said:

For me it's anything Gain scented.  I've had to switch to Tide Free lately due to some skin irritation from the perfumes in detergents.    

Gain is the nasty-est smelling stuff!!!!!  we use the Tide free too. my dh bought regular Tide and guess what --HIS clothes get washed in it, not mine!

Edited by zoomama
  • Like 5
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

I, too, am amazed by your positivity @CalicoKitty.  You will be in my thoughts in the coming weeks.

I needed an echo for my POTS diagnosis, and it was one of the most painful procedures I've had done.  Having EDS on top of things didn't help.  It affects all connective tissue in the body, so I deal with chronic pain.  The tech I had was very nice, but she discovered something I'd never been told.  It turns out, one of my ribs on the left side is not in the correct place.  Every time she tried to get a particular image, she got my lung, not my heart.  She was trying to get that one rib to shift enough to get what she needed.  I silently cried the whole appointment.  Thankfully, I shouldn't have to go through the testing again.

• Hugs 17
  • Thanks 1
On 12/4/2023 at 5:08 PM, Ancaster said:

I just saw a new doctor who specializes in long-Covid, though apparently he's also a PCP.  He was so wonderful I actually had tears in my eyes at one point  two points.  The appointment didn't last particularly long, but I felt heard, understood, and respected, and that everything I needed to talk about was listened to, and he seemed to ask all the questions he needed.  At one point I said I didn't like my PCP, who basically said "You might have long Covid, go see someone else."  Dr Lovely then said he might be able to recommend someone before I left.  At the end of the appt he asked what kind of PCP I was looking for and I mentioned someone I thought he might know (community connections) - he didn't, so I said, "Someone like you then (wry laugh), but I understand you're not taking new patients."  He told me he'd fit me in.  More tears.

I sat in the carpark for a while afterwards, just feeling relieved and grateful.  I don't know if anyone here has long Covid, but it's quite a lonely thing - not many people "get" it because it's one of those invisible problems.  It was such a relief to talk to someone who understands and even anticipated some of the issues that can be hard to understand. The first time I teared up was when he gave the perfect analogy, describing it as like a new cell phone, at first it works well and seems to hold a charge forever, but gradually the battery runs down faster and faster and the phone never seems to work at 100% any more.

Thanks for reading.

@Anacaster, I'm so glad you had a positive experience and the doctor agreed to accept you as a patient. My best friend was recently diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and like Long Covid, it's an invisible problem that people just don't seem to understand. Big hugs to you!🤗

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Update on my laundry saga:

The part is still on order (water sensor), should be here in a few days. Today plumbers are coming for an estimate on additional laundry hookup, so we can have two washers in the basement, so when one goes I’m not driving around chicago with bags of laundry, a gallon of vinegar and tide pods. I’ll have to wait until the spring- but this last breakdown has pushed me. 

Although I am so thankful for the generosity of my Northside friends (I am very lucky to have such amazing friends who live close by who are helping me)-gone are the days where we have two cars and an extra FREE body to watch my sister while I run around doing laundry (or her former caregiver’s husband would drive the laundry to the laundry mat during a break down). 

I’ve got ish to do and we can afford it. Thank goodness it’s not snowing! Or a polar vortex ❄️🥶

And I feel so ignorant-
Plumber came,

Reviewed the plumbing,

Confirmed I didn’t want it on another floor-
All I need are two splitters and a 2nd washing machine!!!!!!Season 1 Lol GIF by NBC

Cosmo just went to the vet and holiday spending- but I will buy it after I get back from Morocco (still have to fix the one we have). 

This is good news.

• Like 16
2 hours ago, BetyBee said:

My cousin passed away last night. She was at her son's home, 1st day of hospice care. All of her kids were with her and she was able to talk to them yesterday. She was only diagnosed last week. She was a reporter turned journalism professor, who lived an interesting life. Such a terrible loss for our family, but I'm thankful for a peaceful passing for her. She was very agitated in the hospital. She's got three good, adult kids, who are supporting each other at this difficult time. 😢

May her memory be eternal. 

• Like 1
  • Love 5
11 hours ago, BetyBee said:

My cousin passed away last night. She was at her son's home, 1st day of hospice care. All of her kids were with her and she was able to talk to them yesterday. She was only diagnosed last week. She was a reporter turned journalism professor, who lived an interesting life. Such a terrible loss for our family, but I'm thankful for a peaceful passing for her. She was very agitated in the hospital. She's got three good, adult kids, who are supporting each other at this difficult time. 😢

I'm so sorry for you loss.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

Evening folks!  I was hoping to get some opinions on a dessert recipe.  Mr. Six's office is doing a cookie walk/contest next Friday.  He will not bake, but he did ask if I wanted to make something.  I came across an easy peppermint bark recipe on IG or maybe TT.  It sounded so easy and wouldn't take much prep time.  My question is (finally, HA!) what brand of white chocolate should I get and should I go for milk or dark chocolate?  I don't like peppermint, so this is something I've never made.  I just picked it because it was easy! Oh, one last thing-does anyone have a favorite peppermint oil to use? 

Thank you so much!!

• Like 2
34 minutes ago, sixlets said:

Evening folks!  I was hoping to get some opinions on a dessert recipe.  Mr. Six's office is doing a cookie walk/contest next Friday.  He will not bake, but he did ask if I wanted to make something.  I came across an easy peppermint bark recipe on IG or maybe TT.  It sounded so easy and wouldn't take much prep time.  My question is (finally, HA!) what brand of white chocolate should I get and should I go for milk or dark chocolate?  I don't like peppermint, so this is something I've never made.  I just picked it because it was easy! Oh, one last thing-does anyone have a favorite peppermint oil to use? 

Thank you so much!!

I like Guittard chocolate for baking and confections so I would use it for both chocolates. And I would choose dark chocolate, if it were me. As for peppermint oil, just make sure to get the real stuff and you'll be fine. Yum!

• Like 5
On 12/5/2023 at 1:36 PM, Dehumidifier said:

If anyone ever needs proof that autocorrect and auto fill are making people borderline illiterate check out this title for a Michaels online craft class tonight:

"Santa Clause Painting with FolkArt® Acrylics"

https://www.michaels.com/class/santa-clause-painting-with-folkart-acrylics-3170535518394797920-183365557178208

I frequently tell myself I should keep track of my favourite autocorrects.

One from earlier today is fun - a sunburst of orgasmic bliss became a sunburst of organic blood.  (I was describing some wall art at the Las Vegas airport.  I'd post it but the file's too big . Found it online - not great quality, but hopefully you get the idea.)

I sent it to her because earlier I'd sent her the other one, which was of the ceiling of an elevator at my hotel that struck me as very vaginal.  I don't know if it's just my mind, or whether the fact that I was in Vegas is relevant.

Enjoy.

image.png.c00dcb5452edf3a75a5a6f8efeb86596.png

-6092062895012374220.jpg

Edited by Ancaster
  • LOL 10

On my way today to a daring 9 day adventure of staying with the 5 grands by myself while their parents go on a cruise.

This is the first extended time with the 15mo old, who really doesn't like people outside those she lives with. We had a short trial stay around Halloween and that is the first time she did not continuously scream herself into exhaustion over mom and dad being away. She stuck like a burr to the 10yr old, who was very sweet and humored her. (I sent that child a gift card for their help and kindness) Not personal to me, she is just one who doesn't like unfamiliar people and she is not quite to the point of remembering any of the grandparents and realizing the fun she could be having.

The older kids and I have a deal that we agree things maybe won't be usual, something will go wrong, but we can figure it out together.  Has worked out for us so far.

• Like 11
  • Love 4
On 12/6/2023 at 12:03 PM, BetyBee said:

I’m so sorry for your loss. May her loved ones be a comfort to each other in this time. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I don't post here, but I do read. Wrt Mammograms, I went to a place once where they had what they called a "soft mammogram". They put two thin pads on each side of the plates, and it made a huge difference in the discomfort level. I hate getting mammograms. Besides the discomfort, I'm always afraid the power is going to go out, or the machine isn't going to release me, the fire alarm goes off or something, and I'm stuck in the machine. Even tho the techs have told me that the machine will automatically release in the case of a power outage. I wish there was some other way to get the results the mammogram does without the discomfort. If the men had to get their balls smashed in a machine like that to check for testicular cancer, you better bet they'd come up with a better idea. 

Edited by Stevie Nicks
  • Like 8
  • Applause 5
18 minutes ago, Stevie Nicks said:

I don't post here, but I do read. Wrt Mammograms, I went to a place once where they had what they called a "soft mammogram". They put two thin pads on each side of the plates, and it made a huge difference in the discomfort level. I hate getting mammograms. Besides the discomfort, I'm always afraid the power is going to go out, or the machine isn't going to release me, the fire alarm goes off or something, and I'm stuck in the machine. Even tho the techs have told me that the machine will automatically release in the case of a power outage. I wish there was some other way to get the results the mammogram does without the discomfort. If the men had to get their balls smashed in a machine like that to check for testicular cancer, you better bet they'd come up with a better idea. 

I used to think about having to evacuate at the hairdresser when wasI in the middle of getting my hair colored! Now I'm going to think of a power outage every time I get a mammogram, lol! Always room for new fears. That soft mammogram sounds like a nice idea. You are so right, @Stevie Nicks that if the machine was designed for tests on men, it would likely be more comfortable. 

Edited by BetyBee
  • Like 7
8 hours ago, crazy8s said:

On my way today to a daring 9 day adventure of staying with the 5 grands by myself while their parents go on a cruise.

This is the first extended time with the 15mo old, who really doesn't like people outside those she lives with. We had a short trial stay around Halloween and that is the first time she did not continuously scream herself into exhaustion over mom and dad being away. She stuck like a burr to the 10yr old, who was very sweet and humored her. (I sent that child a gift card for their help and kindness) Not personal to me, she is just one who doesn't like unfamiliar people and she is not quite to the point of remembering any of the grandparents and realizing the fun she could be having.

The older kids and I have a deal that we agree things maybe won't be usual, something will go wrong, but we can figure it out together.  Has worked out for us so far.

I know you'll be just fine, and unless you make a habit of dropping them on their heads, I'm sure they'll be fine too, and will be begging for mum and dad to go away soon so Granny/Nan/Maw Maw can come and look after them again.

One suggestion, if I may, if they have a babysitter they're used to, get the number and give yourself a night or two or afternoon or two off.  Or if you have a friend there (sorry, I don't remember the specifics), have them over so they can be adult company and they can laugh with you about all the things that have gone wrong so far!

Get some icecream or your indulgence of choice in too!

If you have a moment, do keep us posted.  I know I for one can't wait to hear about your adventures.

PS:  A few years after my parents babysat my oldest for the first time, they told me she screamed for two hours solid before she'd worn herself out and fell asleep.  I don't think she suffered any long term trauma!  Some "adventures" are best saved for the telling a few years down the line maybe!

Edited by Ancaster
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

My youngest grandchildren are 4 year old twins. While I was staying with them after Thanksgiving, one of the twins asked her Mom, "Why do you always call Grandma "Mom"? My daughter explained that it's because I AM her Mom. Then twin asked, "Were you in Grandma's tummy?" It was super cute. They seem to think that my oldest daughter is my sister. Guess I'm young looking* (to 4 year olds) like Jill Rodrigues! 🤣

*I'm not!

• LOL 18
7 hours ago, BetyBee said:

My youngest grandchildren are 4 year old twins. While I was staying with them after Thanksgiving, one of the twins asked her Mom, "Why do you always call Grandma "Mom"? My daughter explained that it's because I AM her Mom. Then twin asked, "Were you in Grandma's tummy?" It was super cute. They seem to think that my oldest daughter is my sister. Guess I'm young looking* (to 4 year olds) like Jill Rodrigues! 🤣

*I'm not!

I remember my mom turning 30 when I was about 4.  I thought she was just as old as my grandparents, no difference.

• LOL 11

Went to a fun holiday event yesterday.  It was a brunch with the Chardon Polka Band, a local group that spreads the joy of polka all year long.  Some of you may remember photos Jill Rodrigues took a while back of the CPB playing someplace in her neck of the woods.  You really haven't lived until you've heard 'Angels We Have Heard on HIgh' done to a polka beat.  Special guests included Santa and Krampus.  For those of you without eastern European background; Krampus is a beast with horns who goes out with St. Nick on Dec. 5 and punishes the bad kids by hitting them with switches.  He wears animal skins and has cowbells tied to him so everyone knows he is coming. St. Nick leaves fruit, nuts and candy in the shoes/socks of the good kids.

They also tossed in polka classics like Roll out the Barrel, Who stole the Kishka? and Just Because.

Went with 2 of my sisters, 1 BIL and an assortment of friends, about 20 in all.  I am having my knee replaced tomorrow, so I didn't hit the dance floor, but plenty of others did.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=chardon+polka+band+christmas+songs&form=ANNTH1&refig=1377a270822245ab9a771e6911051bbb&pc=EDGEDB

Edited by Notabug
  • Like 21
  • Hugs 1
  • Love 1