Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

27 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

Happy Birthday @Jynnan tonnix!  I had mine yesterday.  It was a good day.  Then Mr. lookeyloo took a nap because he was feeling lightheaded, which was a precursor to his recrudescence after his stroke.  So, now I am anxious.  

I hope that it’s nothing more than an exhaustion headache from the holidays. 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

Happy Birthday @Jynnan tonnix!  I had mine yesterday.  It was a good day.  Then Mr. lookeyloo took a nap because he was feeling lightheaded, which was a precursor to his recrudescence after his stroke.  So, now I am anxious.  

I owe you an E ..but couldn't find your spelling on Google images. 🤔 

Hope your husband is OK ❤

ZomboMeme 02012019180340.jpg

• Love 4

I’ve seen Jeff Dunham in person and Ron White.  Because we’re cultured people, you see.  Dunham is hilarious in person.  We’ve seen several more minor acts - we love comedy.  I want to see Jeanne Robertson before she retires.  She’s a tall refined version of me.

• Love 8

You guys may remember that before the holidays the water delivery person (to my work place) kissed me on the cheek uninvited. I reported it to my manager and I was told he would be moved to another route. I was told to tell higher ups if I saw him again ever  

He came back today, and I just told my direct manager’s boss as I was instructed. Thankfully he did not try to kiss me again or stop and do anything. Goodness. What would motivate you to do something like that?!!

• Love 10
6 hours ago, Happyfatchick said:

I’ve seen Jeff Dunham in person and Ron White.  Because we’re cultured people, you see.  Dunham is hilarious in person.  We’ve seen several more minor acts - we love comedy.  I want to see Jeanne Robertson before she retires.  She’s a tall refined version of me.

OMGosh! I just recently found Jeanne Robertson on YouTube. She's GREAT.

I swear she's married to a Southern version of my husband.

And she's totally G rated for anyone that doesn't like " smutty" comedy. 

(disclaimer, I'll watch just about anything stand-up, I don't care if it's smutty)😂

PS had to give up on Louie CK..just can't with him anymore.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

If this rain doesn't stop I'm going to eat my entire 2 lb. box of See's Candy!  I need some sunshine!!!

I know you're just kidding, but just in case the lack of sunlight really bothers you

(or anyone else in the winter):

I was prescribed a light box just for days(weeks/months) like this.

I was diagnosed with Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) many years ago.

I used to get clinically depressed to the point where I was hospitalized for it a few times.

Haven't been been depressed ever since I started the light therapy.

PS make sure you get a FULL SPECTRUM light box.

When I got my first one eons ago, it was over $600. Now you can get one for under $50.

***This has been a public service announcement from moi. 🤗

Edited by ChiCricket
to clarify
  • Love 18
On 1/2/2019 at 12:48 PM, lookeyloo said:

Happy belated birthday, LOOKEYLOO! 🎂

I hope your husband is feeling much better!

• Love 1

Happy birthday to @Jynnan tonnix and @lookeyloo!!

2 minutes ago, louannems said:

Today is also my first born son's 39th birthday!  I don't believe he has ever had so much as a date!

Happy bday to your son. Next year is the big 4-0. Was there more to the “never had a date” or that was just in your train of thought ?(I may have missed a few small talk posts)

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Happy birthday to @Jynnan tonnix and @lookeyloo!!

Happy bday to your son. Next year is the big 4-0. Was there more to the “never had a date” or that was just in your train of thought ?(I may have missed a few small talk posts)

It was just in my train of thought!  I notice this thread has lots of posters sharing about their grandkids and my son is unlikely to produce any due to lack of marriage and even a girlfriend, ever!  My daughter lives with her boyfriend with no intention of marrying or reproducing and my middle kid is mentally disabled.  So I am unlikely to ever be a grandma!

• Love 6
8 hours ago, Happyfatchick said:

Happyfatchick, I SWEAR I jumped to Google before I realized who wrote the quote above (I enlarge the font on my iPad, so the member’s name doesn’t show up at the side until I check), and I got curious and looked up several Jeanne Robertson youTubes. I absolutely cracked up (one was “never send a man to the grocery store”), and I intend to watch them all. I PROMISE you I was coming back to this forum to excitedly share with you that in my mind you are just like this woman, Jeanne Robertson. Imagine my happy surprise when I found out you were the poster, and I was spot on. Do you give her your stories for her standup? 😉

• Love 5
1 hour ago, ChiCricket said:

I know you're just kidding, but just in case the lack of sunlight really bothers you

(or anyone else in the winter):

I was prescribed a light box just for days(weeks/months) like this.

I was diagnosed with Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) many years ago.

I used to get clinically depressed to the point where I was hospitalized for it a few times.

Haven't been been depressed ever since I started the light therapy.

PS make sure you get a FULL SPECTRUM light box.

When I got my first one eons ago, it was over $600. Now you can get one for under $50 :)

***This has been a public service announcement from moi. 🤗

Yes, you are right.  I have two light boxes I used when I was working and not outside in daylight hours. Usually I am fine even with some gloomy days because I leave the house every day.  And usually we have a break in the rain, here in metro Atlanta, but, long stretches this winter with no sun.  One son lives here, other son lives in WA State, and I don't like going there in the winter, although we do, grandkids, etc.  It is a struggle there.  Summers there are great though. Before I realized what was going on, way back in the day, I was drawn to the lighting departments at Lowe's or Home depot, where I spent my lunch hours.  That was before we heard about SAD.  I have resisted the box of candy.  tomorrow I will spend the day with kindred spirits at the quilt shop where we bring our machines and projects.  Very congenial and a mood booster.

• Love 10
31 minutes ago, louannems said:

Today is also my first born son's 39th birthday!  I don't believe he has ever had so much as a date!

Happy birthday to your son! (my 1st born is going to be 50 this year.)😭

Ditto on the no date ever thing with my nephew. He's 48 years old now, and never had a date of any kind.

He may just be asexual, but I really think it's more that he is extremely shy and very socially awkward.

I got him his first job (at age 28) by begging my pharmacy manager to hire him (they're very glad they did.)  He's been working there for twenty years now. 

What was my point?   Um...no clue. 🙃

Edited by ChiCricket
math is not my thing.
  • Love 8

I looked after posting this morning, and Jeanne Robertson is going to be in Athens (Georgia) in May.  And so is HappyFatChick!!  I just think she is hilarious.  @lookeyloo, wanna come?  I’m hoping to head to north ATL sometime next week.  I either have to get better bras or knee braces.  I’ve got  to get some support on one end or the other.

• Love 9
34 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

My 10ft charge cord died. It’s pretty old but dang it, I have to order another from Amazon. 

No matter how I think I baby them, and how much I paid , my charging cords never last more than a couple of months. I would love to know if anyone knows of a good sturdy brand!

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Love 3
Just now, ChiCricket said:

No matter how I think I baby them, and how much I paid , my charging cords never last more than a couple if months. I would love to know if anyone knows of a good sturdy brand!

Mine either! I feel like I have tried so many brands but none last.

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, ChiCricket said:

No matter how I think I baby them, and how much I paid , my charging cords never last more than a couple of months. I would love to know if anyone knows of a good sturdy brand!

Anker! This one is two years old. Granted it’s my night stand one but Anker lasts. 

• Love 6
5 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Anker! This one is two years old. Granted it’s my night stand one but Anker lasts. 

Well , I just recently bought some Anker brand ones, so now I have hope. (they do seem sturdy.)

But they are ugly gray. I need a stand out color so I can find them..lol

• Love 2
3 hours ago, louannems said:

It was just in my train of thought!  I notice this thread has lots of posters sharing about their grandkids and my son is unlikely to produce any due to lack of marriage and even a girlfriend, ever!  My daughter lives with her boyfriend with no intention of marrying or reproducing and my middle kid is mentally disabled.  So I am unlikely to ever be a grandma!

You never know! I have a friend (also 30) who is a really sweet girl, but has never pursued dating before, such as online or speed dating, and had a huge, all-consuming crush on a gay guy for years. To my knowledge, she has never had a date, or even a first kiss, until about a month ago! She just randomly met this guy who is perfect for her at church! Meanwhile, I've been constantly dating for over a decade, with several serious relationships, and I'm looking at her with my mouth hanging open, like, whaaa--? So it definitely can happen for your son! He could meet the perfect lady tomorrow, and his lack of experience wouldn't matter! Unexpected things definitely happen sometimes. 

Edited by Christina87
  • Love 10
41 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

I just bought an Anker so here's hoping!

23 minutes ago, Christina87 said:

You never know! I have a friend (also 30) who is a really sweet girl, but has never pursued dating before, such as online or speed dating, and had a huge, all-consuming crush on a gay guy for years. To my knowledge, she has never had a date, or even a first kiss, until about a month ago! She just randomly met this guy who is perfect for her at church! Meanwhile, I've been constantly dating for over a decade, with several serious relationships, and I'm looking at her with my mouth hanging open, like, whaaa--? So it definitely can happen for your son! He could meet the perfect lady tomorrow, and his lack of experience wouldn't matter! Unexpected things definitely happen sometimes. 

In her defense, many many people do not do online or speed dating. Sometimes people meet other ways.:)

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

I just bought an Anker so here's hoping!

In her defense, many many people do not do online or speed dating. Sometimes people meet other ways.:)

True, but she hasn't done ANYTHING really to lead to dating, like being social with anyone other than girlfriends or going out. She's always really wanted a boyfriend, but literally expected someone to land in her lap. Looks like it happened, though! 

• Love 2

Adding my  29 year old son to the non-dating pool.  But I haven't given up hope yet.  Like @Christina87 said, you never know & it's not like he's 59. 

The long charger cords are one of God's better inventions.  I didn't realize the cords came in a longer length til I was in the hospital & my roommate had one.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, louannems said:

Oh I see. 

Random- are your typical children aware of the Sibling Support Project?? I’m always spreading the word and am always after diversity in our group- every time I find a Sib Brother I am like “join us please!!” I’m a Sib myself and I’m childfree, which my Mom supports, my sister will be 31 shortly and after 28years in the terrible 2s (she’s severally mentally disabled, mental age 18months-2yrs) my Mom says she has no need of a grandchild. Of course there is nothing wrong with wanting grandchildren! (I hope you didn’t think I was suggesting otherwise)

There are always people who’s parents have passed or they don’t have great relationships with to act as grandparent figures for their children. I had some childfree great aunts that were amazing, it does take a village!

https://siblingsupport.org/

1 hour ago, Christina87 said:

Lawd I hope your friend didn’t jump him due to all the years of pent up frustration! Lol I’m sorry I’m being naughty. Glad she is happy. 

Some people arent really interested in romantic relationships (I am included in this demographic). I don’t have the emotional bandwidth for all that, and one of the good things about being a heterosexual woman is you can get your emotional, social and sexual needs met in other ways. Just because your loved one isn’t dating in a traditional sense doesn’t mean they are lonely or won’t reproduce. (Just throwing that out there)

• Love 9
8 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Oh I see. 

Random- are your typical children aware of the Sibling Support Project?? I’m always spreading the word and am always after diversity in our group- every time I find a Sib Brother I am like “join us please!!” I’m a Sib myself and I’m childfree, which my Mom supports, my sister will be 31 shortly and after 28years in the terrible 2s (she’s severally mentally disabled, mental age 18months-2yrs) my Mom says she has no need of a grandchild. Of course there is nothing wrong with wanting grandchildren! (I hope you didn’t think I was suggesting otherwise)

There are always people who’s parents have passed or they don’t have great relationships with to act as grandparent figures for their children. I had some childfree great aunts that were amazing, it does take a village!

Lawd I hope your friend didn’t jump him due to all the years of pent up frustration! Lol I’m sorry I’m being naughty. Glad she is happy. 

Some people arent really interested in romantic relationships (I am included in this demographic). I don’t have the emotional bandwidth for all that, and one of the good things about being a heterosexual woman is you can get your emotional, social and sexual needs met in other ways. Just because your loved one isn’t dating in a traditional sense doesn’t mean they are lonely or won’t reproduce. (Just throwing that out there)

Good point! Plus, if someone is alone and really wants a child, they can adopt. I hate when people chirp, "just adopt!" like it is soooo easy, but I definitely want to adopt in ten years or so if a husband and kids don't pan out! For all the non-daters out there, adoption doesn't require dating, and sometimes people don't talk about their future plans until they pan out. They could just announce it one day out of the blue! 😉

• Love 7
Just now, Christina87 said:

Good point! Plus, if someone is alone and really wants a child, they can adopt. I hate when people chirp, "just adopt!" like it is soooo easy, but I definitely want to adopt in ten years or so if a husband and kids don't pan out! For all the non-daters out there, adoption doesn't require dating, and sometimes people don't talk about their future plans until they pan out. They could just announce it one day out of the blue! 😉

Yes- some people are super private about things like that. Adoption is a wonderful way to grow a family- I’m sure however you decide you’ll be a great mom @Christina87  

My friends joke one day I’ll come home married to Jaleel White (Steve Urkel from family matters) cause I’m obsessed with him (and I was 25yrs ago) and you wouldn’t know I was into a guy until I married him cause I’m so quiet. If people ask me I will dish, but it’s just not that important to me. Of course I understand how it could be important to others. 

• Love 5
52 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

I know many people who have successfully online dated, so in the back of my mind, I know it is a perfectly legitimate thing to do. But I also read an unhealthy amount of true crime and have a vivid imagination, so I just assume pretty much everyone is an ax murderer waiting to happen until proven otherwise. So, even though I know it's silly, I just can't even bring myself to consider online dating as an option. 

• Love 9
19 minutes ago, Zella said:

I know many people who have successfully online dated, so in the back of my mind, I know it is a perfectly legitimate thing to do. But I also read an unhealthy amount of true crime and have a vivid imagination, so I just assume pretty much everyone is an ax murderer waiting to happen until proven otherwise. So, even though I know it's silly, I just can't even bring myself to consider online dating as an option. 

I love crime shows too!!! Luckily, I haven't encountered a major creep in online dating...fingers crossed! You do have to be super duper sure to be safe, though, and only meet in public places / give them limited info about yourself for a while. Some guys, though, seriously look like axe murderers in their profiles...more than you'd think! It's like...seriously, dude? You really think a girl's gonna go for this? Seems to be mostly "country" types with long beards, who are in a hunting atmosphere and glaring or scowling at the camera...but really? I have swiped left on guys before whose pictures were literally chilling, and more likely to be seen on the ID channel that online dating. I'd LOVE to know the response rates those guys get. 

• Love 6
56 minutes ago, Zella said:

We have a long running family joke that my SIL is an axe murderer.

It's because my second daughter met him on an airline flight, when she was flying to someplace to go and live with her (then) fiance.

She then called to tell me she was breaking off her engagement to be with this guy.

I yelled, "WHAT?! Are you nuts? What if he's an AXE MURDERER?!??"

(they've been married 15 years now and have three kids) 😂

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Love 11
11 hours ago, Happyfatchick said:

I looked after posting this morning, and Jeanne Robertson is going to be in Athens (Georgia) in May.  And so is HappyFatChick!!  I just think she is hilarious.  @lookeyloo, wanna come?  I’m hoping to head to north ATL sometime next week.  I either have to get better bras or knee braces.  I’ve got  to get some support on one end or the other.

I love Jeanne Robertson.  She was Miss North Carolina years ago and, on the following year when she had to give her crown to the next winner, she gave a speech and said something to the effect of, "If I've been such a great Miss North Carolina, why are you making me quit?"

9 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Oh I see. 

Thanks.  This was interesting.  One of my siblings was extremely physically disabled and lived at home until she finally passed on.  My mother has never been interested in any of her grandchildren.  This is probably why.

• Love 6

@NotFundie most of our group consists of people with conginutive disabilities, although there are a few members who’s siblings are cognitively typical or downright brilliant but have severe physical disabilities. We have interesting discussions about the differences in our experiences. 

Although most Sibs are not childfree (obviously) I do think we have an higher incidence of choosing not to have children than the general population- especially for those of us that care for our siblings on a daily basis; for a host of practical and emotional reasons. 

Sibling Support Project- spread the word!!!

• Love 8
12 hours ago, Happyfatchick said:

Let me know where and when.  I have just two things I can't rearrange.  Rest I can.  Fridays never good for me

• Love 2

When talking about the pitfalls of dating, I'm 38 and would love to date but my job doesn't allow me to use dating apps.  Not that my employer has not me , but I work in a public library and I already have dealt with too many creeps.  If I put my information out there I know of at least one man who would make my life miserable.   

• Love 6
3 hours ago, NotFundie said:

I love Jeanne Robertson.  She was Miss North Carolina years ago and, on the following year when she had to give her crown to the next winner, she gave a speech and said something to the effect of, "If I've been such a great Miss North Carolina, why are you making me quit?"

Thanks.  This was interesting.  One of my siblings was extremely physically disabled and lived at home until she finally passed on.  My mother has never been interested in any of her grandchildren.  This is probably why.

Speaking of Miss North Carolina, my cousin was in Miss NC in 2004. That was the year that Kellie Pickler was Miss Stanly County! My cousin's pageant and hers were sister pageants, so they made a lot of appearances together, and got to know each other very well. I was also in teen pageants at that time, so Kellie sang at a lot of the ones I was in, and I hung out with her sometimes while my cousin made appearances. She was sweet, but very poised and composed. She won her pageant at seventeen, which is the youngest age you can run, so obviously she was put together. She was just okay at the talent portion; nothing about her singing stood out at all, and she didn't even make the top ten. 

Then, suddenly she was on American Idol, lying through her teeth!!! My mom and I were so mad every week when we would watch! She pretended she had never sung in front of an audience before, and acted like a country bumpkin, who had never heard of thinks like salmon and said, "I'm a mink!" when called a minx. I remember wanting to throw something at the TV when she said, "I've never had a voice lesson. The only thing I know about keys is the keys to my car!" KELLIEEEE!!!! No respectable pageant would let you go to Miss NC without vocal training! This was before YouTube and message boards were super popular, so she got away with it! Then one day they had "best friend" day or something, and she brought her executive director from the pageant. Just very shady! My aunt also saw her at walmart or somewhere the day of her audition, and she was perfectly composed and definitely NOT a country bumpkin who couldn't string a sentence together!

i remember being so shocked every week when she really advanced to the top five or so! I thought she wouldn't be able to keep the act up, but she was this huge fan favorite, and a favorite of Simon's too! It was mind blowing. That was the first time I really learned that you can get very far by being dishonest and misrepresenting who you are!

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

When talking about the pitfalls of dating, I'm 38 and would love to date but my job doesn't allow me to use dating apps.  Not that my employer has not me , but I work in a public library and I already have dealt with too many creeps.  If I put my information out there I know of at least one man who would make my life miserable.   

Honestly, I'd like to add to the pitfalls of dating. I'm younger than you, and while I have a date lined up for next week (my first in over a year, oof) theres nothing very ...enjoyable about it? While my friends are getting engaged (And married! and having children, yikes), I've never really yearned for it. And dating is truly rough. they can be so awkward if theres no chemistry, and yes, creeps are everywhere, which is just disheartening. 

I'd much MUCH rather be alone, honestly!!

• Love 11
38 minutes ago, allonsyalice said:

Honestly, I'd like to add to the pitfalls of dating. I'm younger than you, and while I have a date lined up for next week (my first in over a year, oof) theres nothing very ...enjoyable about it? While my friends are getting engaged (And married! and having children, yikes), I've never really yearned for it. And dating is truly rough. they can be so awkward if theres no chemistry, and yes, creeps are everywhere, which is just disheartening. 

I'd much MUCH rather be alone, honestly!!

I am 61 and have now been 'dating' for more than 45 years, so to speak.  And, I agree with you, much of the time, it is way more work than its worth which is why I haven't gone on an actual date in years.  Good thing I enjoy my alone time.

Marriage was never a priority for me and I was always surprised at friends who were so desperate to meet a guy and get hitched.  My father told me the reason I was an old maid (yes, he used that term) was because there was nothing a man could do for me that I wouldn't do for myself.  I pointed out that there were a couple of things, but, in general, I think my Dad was basically correct.

At one time, I thought I'd have kids even if I never married.  However, as the clock ticked down on my ovaries, I realized my work schedule wasn't conducive to single parenting and, if I felt guilty about leaving my dogs alone so much, it was going to be that much harder with a kid.  I also couldn't see the point of having a baby then having to hire a live-in nanny so I could support us.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 17