Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, CalicoKitty said:

I don't think any of us who post regularly are the problem.  I have noticed a lot of new names posting in the last couple of weeks.  I wonder if this was planned (I know, I read too many mystery novels).  But I did think it was odd to see so may new posters lately.

Huh, I didn’t even notice that. Now I’m even more confused, lol.

• Like 10
2 minutes ago, AstridM said:

Huh, I didn’t even notice that. Now I’m even more confused, lol.

I didn't notice either. I wish a mod would come here and spell out what they want from us.

• Like 6
  • Applause 11
6 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Why was the Jinger topic closed? I don't see anything there that could be considered negative or harmful. 

I'm really confused.

I wonder if it's the topic title that the moderator doesn't like. In which case, can't the mod just change it? Or open a conversation about choosing a different title?

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 3
  • Useful 1
Just now, Jeeves said:

I wonder if it's the topic title that the moderator doesn't like. In which case, can't the mod just change it? Or open a conversation about choosing a different title?

Maybe the new mods don't understand that thread titles were voted on by the group and implemented by the old mods? 

Other than that, I got nothing.

• Like 13

I absolutely don't understand what the problem is with this thread or any other for the Duggars.  If they want change, they will need to explain in clear direct terms what has been written that is offensive to someone.  And who has been offended or hurt any way.

I feel that I cannot express myself fully on this since there are some vague new rules that I don't understand.

I'm not sure what will be left standing when the threads are perfected, but I suspect there won't be anything left for me.

• Like 8
  • Hugs 2
  • Sad 4
  • Applause 2
(edited)

About the Shopping Channels forum - it now says this:

Due to multiple reports of conduct that does not align with our community values of respect, diversity, and inclusivity, this forum will be shut down on 3/1/24.

After a link to the community guidelines, there's this:

If you have feedback on this decision, you may fill out this survey: 

https://forms.gle/6oxNFktEHQeqwvrw5

Edited by Jeeves
  • Mind Blown 7
  • Thanks 1
  • LOL 1
27 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Why was the Jinger topic closed? I don't see anything there that could be considered negative or harmful. 

I'm really confused.

My guess Cade discussions.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2

Something big is going on since the red light--and entire forum shutdown has happened all of a sudden.  I wonder if we will ever really find out what is going on.

• Like 9
  • Sad 1
Just now, CalicoKitty said:

Something big is going on since the red light--and entire forum shutdown has happened all of a sudden.  I wonder if we will ever really find out what is going on.

No we won’t.

• Like 5
  • Sad 4
9 minutes ago, Dehumidifier said:

Earlier today there was discussion of a family that was never on TV and its possible future issues. I believe that was the reason.

Then they need to SAY THAT DIRECTLY. 

• Like 12
  • Applause 6

Anyone here know how to make a small cozy forum? I feel more comfortable having anonymity due to some posers that have slipped in here before.

• Like 7
  • Applause 6

Someone must have been making a lot of complaints to the people in charge, and I find it interesting that this site and the Shopping Channels site are both in trouble.  The entire Shopping Channel site has actually disappeared. This cannot be a coincidence.  Both sites on the same day?  I am curious to find out if any other sites were hit this hard.

• Like 4
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 3

i am saddened by this because this place is truly my guilty pleasure and fun spot. if it goes, i will miss the interaction with ya'll. i dont reall understand reddit although i can try

• Like 12
  • Hugs 4
  • Sad 2
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

Actually, I think the wife was seen on the show.

Who knows if that's even a rule anymore. 🤷🏽‍♀️

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

k, i did it. my name is still in my screenname so you will know me. but i still feel weird over there so may not show up much. i like it here- i at least understand this place a little bit.

• Hugs 2
  • Love 2

So this is at the top of the Michelle and JB topic:

Screenshot2024-03-01at4_50_21PM.thumb.png.4f9a0f9404f19a70ccf5b2b9d6c904c5.png

And same at the top of the Jing and Jeremy topic:

Screenshot2024-03-01at4_52_32PM.thumb.png.679073d6123c8d15c10d23be560c6270.png

But there's no such message on the Josh/Anna topic. 

If "much of the posting within" these topics is a problem? All of those posts were done under moderation! Over the course of those conversations, comments that were offensive and against the rules were reported to the mods, who took appropriate action. Comments were deleted, people were warned. 

I get it about the titles - which the mods can fix if they want to, in a hot minute -  but not about the content.

• Like 7
  • Applause 4
  • Useful 6
24 minutes ago, zoomama said:

i am saddened by this because this place is truly my guilty pleasure and fun spot. if it goes, i will miss the interaction with ya'll. i dont reall understand reddit although i can try

Reddit is ok once you figure it out. You don’t need to join to read anything.

• Like 7
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1

Okay. What do we do? Start our own poll in ST to rename them and then wait for someone to change it for us?

Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Michelle and Jim Bob: The Broken Umbrellas

• Like 6

See, the problem with these rules for this forum, as opposed to, say, the Bridgerton forum, is that I'm honestly not sure how "self-transformation, global citizenship and kindness" can be regularly applied to a thread that's discussing a convicted criminal. 

It's possible that this CAN be done, but speaking for just me, I would need some guidance about how to get there.

• Like 24

Issue 1: I'm concerned that this shift is causing some problems with the paradox of tolerance (where people say that if you are tolerant, you must also be tolerant of intolerance). I can see that if your values align more with the Duggars and Co. that this isn't a fun place to hang out, but do we want it to be? 

Issue 2: I'm not sure what exactly we've done wrong and have no clue how to fix it in a month. Feedback needs to be specific if it's going to achieve the desired goal. If the issue is mostly the thread titles, and for the record, I'm not attached to any of them, how do the members go about changing them to stave off having the forum shut down? 

Issue 3: In my day job I'm all about inspiring respectful and challenging conversations and good global citizenship, but work also burns me out so that when I come home, I just want to enjoy reading about and snarking on the latest antics of the Rods and co. I can (and want to be) polite and respectful of other posters and conscientious of the fact that these are real people we're talking about, but if we can't be light and silly sometimes, I think I'll need to find somewhere else for internet leisure reading.

Just now, quarks said:

See, the problem with these rules for this forum, as opposed to, say, the Bridgerton forum, is that I'm honestly not sure how "self-transformation, global citizenship and kindness" can be regularly applied to a thread that's discussing a convicted criminal. 

It's possible that this CAN be done, but speaking for just me, I would need some guidance about how to get there.

I'm in the same boat, although I have to say, I'm in the Bridgerton forums more because I want an excuse to think of Anthony in a wet shirt than to pursue self-transformation. 

• Like 14
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1

Oh, and yes, this forum is very definitely one of my guilty pleasures.

But it hasn't been just a guilty pleasure - it's been very helpful for me to read the different viewpoints here. I've learned a lot. 

4 minutes ago, satrunrose said:

I'm in the same boat, although I have to say, I'm in the Bridgerton forums more because I want an excuse to think of Anthony in a wet shirt than to pursue self-transformation. 

I mean if I could transform myself to look anything like Kate/Simone Ashley I would be absolutely delighted. 

• Like 11
  • LOL 3
(edited)

Oh, I agree with that too! The stuff that's been posted in Sweet Fellowship lately has led me to some really interesting pondering about at what point do we become responsible, or considered responsible, for our own choices despite our upbringing. I've also really enjoyed lots of thoughtful conversations (Consent in Bridgerton: discuss) all over this site. 

I guess for me, before it was like coming to a party. Sometimes you make small talk, sometimes you make silly comments, and sometimes you end up in a corner debating whether we exist at all until three in the morning. With this new thing, it seems like more of a symposium or a class and it feels like, well, work, to make sure that everything I contribute adds to the sum of human understanding and virtue. As it stands now (and I admit, my usual response to change is 'nooo! tooo much pressure!') it seems like things are going to be a lot less relaxed and organic now. 

Edited by satrunrose
  • Like 21
  • Useful 1

I guess we supposed to write something like this:

Jill Rod is a wonderful mother. Look her kids are wearing sweaters under their dresses. She is so fashion forward! And a David looks wonderful in his new clothes! 

• Like 2
  • Wink 3
  • LOL 16
2 minutes ago, satrunrose said:

Oh, I agree with that too! The stuff that's been posted in Sweet Fellowship lately has led me to some really interesting pondering about at what point do we become responsible, or considered responsible, for our own choices despite our upbringing. I've also really enjoyed lots of thoughtful conversations (Consent in Bridgerton: discuss) all over this site. 

I guess for me, before it was like coming to a party. Sometimes you make small talk, sometimes you make silly comments, and sometimes you end up in a corner debating whether we exist at all until three in the morning. With this new thing, it seems like more of a symposium or a class and it feels like, well, work, to make sure that everything I contribute adds to the sum of human understanding and virtue. As it stands now (and I admit, my usual response to change is 'nooo! tooo much pressure!') it seems like things are going to be a lot less relaxed and organic now. 

Well said!

I believe that the Primetimer Forums are being declared a snark-free zone. Which IMO is also a fun-free zone. If so, I'm gone.

• Like 13
  • Sad 4
  • Applause 5
  • LOL 2

Found this in Site Business (which feels like it should be part of this traffic light announcement, but whatever):

Not sure it's very helpful in understanding what they want from us (also apparently there's going to be Badging if your a GoodPosterTM?), but it's got more info than anything I'd seen so far.

• Like 4
  • Useful 2

When Primetimer shut down for the week, I wondered if it would even come back up.  I enjoy this site.  When my work computer is slow, I spend a few minutes checking in on a couple of boards. If it disappears, I will miss it.  But it would help to have some sort of clear explanation as to what's going on.

• Like 21

Can someone get the mods and the owner over here to ST? I think we'd all like to have a mature, inclusive conversation about why we're all here, what we enjoy and for this particular show, who the Duggars and Co. are.

I think I want my mommy. 😄🙃😵

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
50 minutes ago, Girl in a Cardigan said:

Not sure it's very helpful in understanding what they want from us (also apparently there's going to be Badging if your a GoodPosterTM?), but it's got more info than anything I'd seen so far.

They better not ever try to stick one of those ugly ass comic sans clip art badges on me......

• Applause 7

I agree with all that have said that the Mods should come into ST and explain things. None of this makes sense. As many have also said, this has NEVER been a a fan forum. We all voted on the topic titles and the previous mods agreed to them.

I didn't see anything wrong in the threads I read in Counting On. I don't really read the Michelle and JimBob one, so not sure what was going on in there. I think we all have reasonable discussions and you all make me laugh daily.

I don't know where to go if this site becomes a fan thread and I will miss all our discussions and the laughs..

• Like 13
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

So the Nellie Olsens get traffic lights and the Mary Ingallses get badges, while the rest of us sit around and wait for threads to get unlocked?

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 16

Interestingly, House Hunters, where people are really hard on the couples on the show, is running just fine with no lights or shutdowns.  I still think some people signed up just to complain, which brought this unwanted and unneeded attention.  There is no way our usual posters would draw this kind of attention.  I could see this happening on the Shopping Channel shows, too.

• Like 9
  • Useful 4
18 minutes ago, Girl in a Cardigan said:

Found this in Site Business (which feels like it should be part of this traffic light announcement, but whatever):

Well, they don't seem to be very transparent if no one knows what went wrong.

• Like 7
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1