Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E09: 11 Chefs Compete, Part 2

• Start Topic

The next challenge involves ingredients determined by a roll of the dice. The winning team earns a trip to Las Vegas, while the remaining chefs unload the truck for the dinner service. Later, a contestant deals with an injury while the teams cater to music legends, including Stewart Copeland and Steven Tyler.

Anyone else wonder if Steve's injury was staged? How convenient that no one was eliminated the prior episode so with 2 eliminations in one episode, they're right on schedule.

If it is real though I hope he comes back next season a la Robert.

I am not buying the little "crush" on Bryant from Sade that they're advertising next week. They did something similar the last season and it was just whoever it was wearing a low cut blouse and having a conversation with the guy.

• Love 2

I'm very glad Gordon got rid of Frank even if he staged the departure as dramatically as possible.  Meh.  I hope Sade goes next. 

That ex rocker guy looked like he needed a keeper - and a little less botox.  He looked positively simian.  He was just gawking around with a vapid look on his face while chewing with his mouth open.  Sad really.

• Love 3

So, Sade was upset that her team didn't take her seriously . Then HER dish turned out to be better than the one selected. Who could have predicted that? Maybe anyone who has ever seen the show before.

It doesn't even seem like GR thinks the dish is better, he's just going to SAY so, in order to stir the pot so we can see the arguing.

• Love 6

I get the biggest kick out of it when a chef thinks Ramsay doesn't do an elimination because Ramsay thinks they're the best chef that ever lived and doesn't want to lose them. My eyes roll so hard it hurts.

Frank writing that letter was strange. Did he think Ramsay was going to read it and eliminate everyone else and declare Frank the winner? Maybe I'm just getting jaded.

I didn't think the red team stood a chance of winning with those ingredients they had. They couldn't come up with anything better than limes and lemons?

They couldn't come up with anything better than limes and lemons?

I was trying to think of 'L' things while they were and all I could come up with was llama and lima beans.  :)

• Love 1

Anyone else wonder if Steve's injury was staged? How convenient that no one was eliminated the prior episode so with 2 eliminations in one episode, they're right on schedule.

They usually have one, or even two episodes per season where Ramsay doesn't eliminate anyone. Besides, I can't think of any logical reason why they'd want to stage Steve's elimination - it's not like he was so good that Ramsay might want to take him out of this season and put him in next season so that he could win it more easily, as he might have done last season had he known Joy's meltdown was going to happen.

Linguine, lardo.

None of these people really made an impression on me, so I don't have any particular reaction to their going home. I'm not even sure I noticed Frank being unusually bad. Mia Tyler looked pretty. It was kind of refreshing to see a woman at chef's table visibly enjoying more than a scant mouthful of her food.

We're not getting rid of Sterling and Sade before the end, are we.

• Love 1

eh, Sade's comment was what everyone was thinking. She added that she hopes that he heals well and quickly. It is a competition and they all want to win. I think the would prefer that someone does not go out due to injury but when someone does, it makes the other contestants happy on some level. Toss in Steve being a total ass toward Sade and you have someone who was happy to see him go because he was an ass and competition.

• Love 9

Good lord Frank is dumber than rocks.

Sterling is only marginally better, but he got lucky he was on the easy "tableside" station.

Lettuce, lobster, langostines, lamb, lamb chops, liver, London broil steak (that one would require creative thinking and we know what the chances of that are), legumes, long grain rice, lox, leeks.... to name a few.

"Lamb" is so painfully obvious, I have to think either they're epicly stupid, or it's because even as dumb as they are they know that two meats on the same plate is a bad idea (same problem with Liver and London Broil, and to a lesser extent with Lobster and Langostines).  Remember, they'd already picked Duck,and you can't really pair ANY other meat with Duck, except maybe (and it's a real stretch) something like Bacon wrapping it.

Leeks had already been picked by the other team.  Long grain rice would have been genius with Duck though, and Lettuce could have worked for Lettuce cups or Lettuce wrappers for an Asian prep.

Wait.  Lemongrass.  That's an obvious one to me with Duck. Also  maybe Lemon Thyme.  Lentils is a little less obvious, but could have worked.  

Actually I wonder if they could have cheated and asked for Duck Liver (saying it as "Liver" but insisting on the Duck version, because it's just as legitimate with that shorthand as Beef Liver).  Because Duck and Duck Liver together could certainly be made to work. Foie gras (livers from force fed Ducks to be extra fatty) is illegal in California, but standard Duck liver is just the liver of the same Duck they're harvesting for the Breast anyway.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1

It may have been convenient, but I think they would have chosen something more dramatic if they were going to stage it.  They had the right props with all the stuff they were hauling from the trucks to the kitchen.  I would have expected Steve to fall or have something drop on him if it was going to be played for drama.  As it worked out, it was a pretty quiet exit.

I'm rather glad Frank is out. I really got tired of his piling up burnt fish.  I'm not a great chef by any means, but I think I could have figured out how to cook salmon in less time. Sterling may be irritating but at least he can cook when he puts his mind to it.  Roe was solid in her cooking this week.  LaTasha seems to have some management skills. The rest of the team seemed to be fine.  It was just Frank that brought them down....certainly the team will be stronger without him.

The online version didn't have an introduction (that I heard) of Stewart Copeland of The Police though they kept mentioning Steven Tyler. I admit I'm not strong on rock and roll....I didn't have a clue who Stewart Copeland was by looking at him (yes, I would have recognized the name of The Police).  I just thought it was odd that they didn't mention his name (in the version I was watching).  The online version does cut from the show...I didn't see, for example, Sade's dish being announced as being better then LaTasha's after the fact.

When Santos said "Mache" I thought for sure he'd requested Mush.  Yeah, I'm a peasant.

Call me jumpy, but if I rolled first I'd pick a protein no matter what letter I landed on. 

Bryant is one bad service away from shooting up an Arby's.  That guy is mentally unstable and so, so sad.

Edited by Drogo
  • Love 3

I enjoyed the recap................. except for the terrifying picture at the top.  Oiks, what a freak show!  Otherwise, I was actually LOL.

Yeah, I found myself saying "Hey, it's some tattooed girl and her wrinkled old auntie... oh wait.  That's Steven Tyler!"

• Love 4

The online version does cut from the show...I didn't see, for example, Sade's dish being announced as being better then LaTasha's after the fact.

That's because he didn't say that. ;) He said Sade's was better than Bryant's, but didn't say whether it was better or worse than La Tasha's.

They usually have one, or even two episodes per season where Ramsay doesn't eliminate anyone. Besides, I can't think of any logical reason why they'd want to stage Steve's elimination - it's not like he was so good that Ramsay might want to take him out of this season and put him in next season so that he could win it more easily, as he might have done last season had he known Joy's meltdown was going to happen.

Right. Plus, it's not like the show is Live. It was recorded months ago. Producers can construct and adjust the "script"/episodes and then edit them any way they want. If Steve hadn't hurt himself, they're would have probably been a double elimination down the road or one of those extended "to be continued" episodes to get back on track. Last season didn't they have at least 2 of those "to be continued" episodes. I think that's because unexpected things happened during the taping and they had to adjust the content to stay on schedule. 

• Love 1

I'm always confused by Star of David tattoos like Steve's massive underarm ink.  As I understand it, marking the body is forbidden in Judaism. 

I used to think Mia Tyler was really cute in the 90's - back when Liv Tyler actually had a shadow for her to live in - but wow, she's a real bitch.  Blatantly laughing at people having emotional breakdowns over the impending loss of a major life-changing opportunity for themselves and their families... Not cool, Daughter Of Mega Rich Rock Legend. 

There were slavetrading Mayans in "Apocalypto" wearing less ridiculous accessories than Steven Tyler. 

screenshot-med-26.jpg

Edited by Drogo
  • Love 1

Thank God they're finally getting rid of some men again!  These women boots were getting stale.

Steve was one of the Terrible Trio who threw that service to get one of Fernando, Sterling, Bryant, J.R., and Frank out, right?  (Turned out to be J.R. who got tossed.)  If so, I'm not shedding any tears over his exit.  He wasn't that strong of a chef, anyway, and wasn't going to win.

I liked Frank all right, but this week and last week showed how he really had no place in this competition.  How do you screw up something as easy as salad?  And this week, he was just lost the entire time.  He was the one who got everyone called over to Ramsay more than once and out of the kitchen that one time, after all.  And he even seemed to have that very open mind lapse in front of everybody, which was uncomfortable to watch.  Everyone on the red team was excelling but Frank, and I think even Ramsay knew it, hence calling them all back just to eliminate him.  His ouster was a good call, for sure.

With Steve and Frank gone, we're down to a fairly solid F9.  I think Santos and Aaron remain the weakest two, but they're likely being edited enough to reach the black jackets, anyway, which sucks.  I like LaTasha and Jennifer the most of the ones left.  I think they're the strongest of the women, and probably the strongest, period.  If one of them or anyone else on the red team wins, I'll be okay enough with this season.  I think Roe's recovering, so I could be okay with her if she keeps it up.  And Sterling, if he keeps focus, would be fine with me, too.  The only blue team members I'd be fine with winning at this point, though, are Sade and Fernando.  Bryant seems way too unhinged for me, and Santos and Aaron?  No, thank you.

Edited by Paron Xanthis
  • Love 3

At this point I think the strongest contenders from the red team are La Tasha, Jennifer, and possibly Roe. While Sterling may have actually proven to be a decent cook and all, he's just way too goofy to ever be chosen as the winner. Unless somehow this is just some schtick he's doing and suddenly at black jackets he becomes super serious. 

Strongest contenders on blue team for me are Bryant and Fernando. Aaron and Santos are not as good as they think they are. Sade might be a decent chef but she has a bad attitude. And I'm predicting the meltdown they showed in next week's preview is probably her getting kicked out of the kitchen.

My predictions for black jackets are La Tasha, Jennifer, Roe, Bryant, Fernando, and then between Sterling, Aaron, or maybe Santos if he's still around. I think Sade will be eliminated next week, especially if I'm right about her getting booted from the kitchen.

I was trying to think of 'L' things while they were and all I could come up with was llama and lima beans.  :)

What, you've never had pan-seared llama on a bed of lima beans? : )

Did I miss something - how did Steve hurt his leg? Did it just 'go out' on him? I don't recall him falling or anything while they handled the deliveries. 

• Love 1

That's because he didn't say that. ;) He said Sade's was better than Bryant's, but didn't say whether it was better or worse than La Tasha's.

I guess I never saw him taste it in order to say that.  My bad. Thank you for the clarification. 

I was really disappointed there was no footage of Sterling doing his act while serving people tableside.

I noticed that also and decided that he must have done well or, at least, he did nothing worth including in the show.  I don't think he's as big a fool as he's letting on.

Bryant is reminding me of Corin Nemec in "The Stand". It's like central casting looked for a guy who thinks he's the biggest badass around but is never going to best the cool kids.

Oh my goodness . . . YES. The similarities are striking.

There's something about Aaron's physical appearance that drives me nuts too, but I can't exactly describe what that is.

I've said before that Sterling isn't as crazy as he lets on and this makes me wonder if he's going to be one of the finalists. At the very least, one of the top three.

Is Jennifer the complainer from Philadelphia? Is she the only person who hasn't been yelled at by Gordon? At this point, I'm not remembering much, especially since the show took a hiatus during the WS.

To the best of my memory, La Tasha and Jennifer have only been yelled at once each by Ramsay, and even then their errors were arguably more the fault of the rest of the team screwing up and throwing them off-balance. Right now it's looking like they'll be the finalists... but then we all thought that Joy and Rochelle would be last season's finalists, and look what happened there.

• Love 1

I think Frank must have known his days were numbered, hence writing the brown nose letter to Ramsay.  I even imagine he might have told Ramsay to give him another chance and that he'd "prove himself".  Too bad he messed that up.  Isn't halibut a forgiving fish?  He was probably trying too hard, like the bonehead he is.  I could easily picture him as a "greaser" on "The Lords of Flatbush" or "Grease".  Mr. Snarklepuss said now he can go back to throwing pizzas on Staten Island.  I noticed in one spot on him that he is an "executive chef".  The only restaurant mentioned from his history was the Hilton Garden Inn on Staten Island.

It's strange how we didn't see or find out exactly how Steve hurt his leg.  Usually don't they show those things?  It makes me wonder why, like for insurance reasons, perhaps?

Sterling is clearly more than just a buffoon at this point.  I think if he had really been a loser, his act would have been played up and he would have been made a problem person that annoyed everyone else.  So I'm thinking he might even become a black jacket.

• Love 4

Oh boy, I bet the waffle batter at the do-it-yourself station is lumpy as heck. And he probably mixed up the Fruit Loops with the Cheerios.

You beat me to it. I was going to post something similar about Frank and the breakfast bar at the Hilton Garden Inn in beautiful downtown Bayonne!

Seriously, I can't remember the last time it was so easy to know who was going home. The scene whe he told them to leave and pick two, then called them right back and gave Bowser, I mean Frank, the boot, reminds of the comedy routine where the jury files out to deliberate, and as they are filing out the door, the foreman is leading them directly back through the other door with the preordained verdict.

• Love 1

No, but I think that's the message we were supposed to get -- that Sade's was better than LaTasha's, and that if they'd gone with hers over Bryant's, they'd have won.

• Love 5

You beat me to it. I was going to post something similar about Frank and the breakfast bar at the Hilton Garden Inn in beautiful downtown Bayonne!

Bayonne is in New Jersey, not on Staten Island.  Although, to be fair, I think Frank would be equally comfortable in Bayonne.

Bayonne is in New Jersey, not on Staten Island.  Although, to be fair, I think Frank would be equally comfortable in Bayonne.

I know Bayonne is in NJ, but I couldn't think of an appropiate name for a Garden Inn suitable for Frank in SI.

• Love 1