Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E08: The Natural Grip, Priority One Canine, Man-PACK, Bottle Breacher

yeswedo
  • Start Topic

Entrepreneurs with military backgrounds have the opportunity to pitch their products. Included: a nonslip-protective glove for CrossFit; an elite canine-training program; a carrying case for men; a bottle opener made from recycled .50 caliber shells.

Bullet Breacher is cool.  It's not for me but I could see it being a huge success.

Man bag... well, I like my take on it better.  It would sell in NYC and SF.  Probably a few other cities.  Maybe he could pitch it to business travelers.

Glove woman was intense.  They didn't look comfy to me with the tape and how it bagged in your palm when your hand wasn't stretched.  but I am so not the target.  Don't blame her for picking Robert.  More $, less percentage.

The k9 trainers will probably get a boost in sales from being on.  I'd have been shocked if it got an investment.

$20,000 for a dog. For a dog. For a dog.

I don't know much about the price of designer dogs, and yes, this dog came with training, but still: $20,000. For. A. Dog.

(Also, how exactly do you use the anti-carjacking dog? Does the dog sit in the car until the carjackers come? That's a lot of wasted time for the dog).

• Love 2

Not sure I would feel too comfortable having an attack dog around kids and family, but then again, I own a really good dog who is the perfect match for me (i.e., she's very low maintenance) but she might not be someone else's cup of tea.  If that couple could come and train her not to beg while I'm eating, that's something I might be interested in.  For a reasonable price, of course.

• Love 1

$20,000 for a dog. For a dog. For a dog.

$20,000 for a dog that will bark at your door when someone rings the doorbell, and sound threatening. That describes 75% of the dogs I know, and they cost anywhere from a few hundred dollars to zilch. I did like Kevin's comment about 'What if the dog is having a bad hair day....".

I am glad that the glove lady went with Robert. And he looked pretty darn good doing those chin ups. I also loved his (I assume) dig at Cubin, calling himself the sporty shark. Though Cubin owns a sports team, I don't see him as particuarily 'sporty'. Robert is by far my favourite Shark, and I miss him so much on Dragons Den.

I did find it odd that two Canadians were at the White House, and the other Sharks were MIA except for Daymond.

• Love 1

Our small town police force paid $30,000 for a dog like that one shown. Their elite training is costly.

When I was watching the glove lady, and her saying that there's nothing else out there like this, my mind went to gymnastics. They have an almost identical thing they wear to protect their hands. It slips over the two middle fingers, and they tie it in place with stuff around their wrist. I think for the first time ever, Kevin was afraid NOT to offer someone a deal. She scared him a little, didn't she? :)

The way Lori lets people down sometimes makes me want to slap her or drag her around by her ponytail.

I'm kidding...Kinda sorta.

Lori just rubs me the wrong way on this show and on QVC too. I like Barbara though and miss her when she's not on. I was thinking maybe the sharks didn't want the liability that might come with getting involved in a dog training business like the one that was featured tonight.

• Love 3

It's Lori's smirky-screwy face when she says, "And for that reason, I'm out," that makes me want to throw something at her through the TV screen. Men don't mean-girl their way out of deals. Just say you're out and don't make a prissy face.

I didn't like the way that dog flew around through the air. I get that he's trained, but that looked really unsafe.

I want one of those man-packs. I can never find bags that are utilitarian enough. Purses are too "purse-y" and messenger bags are too bottom heavy and usually too big.

Hated the wife in the last segment. "I was lonely running the business from home alone while my husband was in active duty." BARF. I'm not sure why the Sharks were falling all over themselves for that bullet bottle opener. It's ultimately Crap That Ends Up in Your Kitchen Junk Drawer, and there's already plenty of that in stores.

$20,000 for a dog that will bark at your door when someone rings the doorbell, and sound threatening. That describes 75% of the dogs I know, and they cost anywhere from a few hundred dollars to zilch.

I said to the TV that you can get that kind of dog for free. Even my two (pound- and coworker-acquired) cats freak out a little at the doorbell. They don't bother getting up, though. Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 4

Our small town police force paid $30,000 for a dog like that one shown. Their elite training is costly.

I can understand that -- but the small town isn't a private citizen. The fact that they want private citizens to spend an exorbitant amount on something usually financed by entire towns is just crazy to me. You could get a car for what you paid for the dog (and oh, the irony if it was carjacked!)

It's like if people went on Shark Tank and sold recreation centers. Or schools. Or roads.

• Love 2

I'm not sure why the Sharks were falling all over themselves for that bullet bottle opener. It's ultimately Crap That Ends Up in Your Kitchen Junk Drawer, and there's already plenty of that in stores.

I don't think they care where it ends up as long as it strikes enough of a chord so people buy it. I guess given our American love affair with guns they anticipate strong sales.

Add me to those saying "shelter dogs bark at intruders and protect you for free." This was clearly a niche business for the super-rich, not for Joe Average getting carjacked at WalMart. There are probably already a good number of sources out there that responsibly and effectively train attack dogs for that market. I never quite got what set this couple apart from the pack. This seemed like one of those "we're here for publicity, not an investment" presentations.

Lori just rubs me the wrong way on this show and on QVC too.

Men don't mean-girl their way out of deals.

She's the one shark I wouldn't trust. Can she get things done and make products huge in no time? Sure. But I'd never turn my back on her. And her passive aggressive turn-downs are beyond annoying. 

I love how Robert lights up when a dog comes out. He looked really sharp at that WH event. Yes, I crush on Robert! :-)

While I wish he'd worn a tie, he somehow managed to look sharp without one, even standing next to fashion-guy Daymond. Robert's reaction to dogs (and anything playful, for that matter) is wonderful, and yes, I crush on him as well.

I also loved his (I assume) dig at Cubin, calling himself the sporty shark. Though Cubin owns a sports team, I don't see him as particuarily 'sporty'.

I read this the same way, and loved it. I don't think those two care for each other at all.

Edited by designing1
  • Love 5

$20,000 for a dog that will bark at your door when someone rings the doorbell, and sound threatening. That describes 75% of the dogs I know, and they cost anywhere from a few hundred dollars to zilch. 

Yeah, my two big pound dogs do that great.  I like them more now that I know they're "worth" $20k each.  Their spiel didn't make sense.  At one point the wife said something about selling a number of dogs that worked out to them selling a dog every couple days.  Are they going to fully TRAIN a new dog every couple days?  

I'm not anti-gun at all (or anti-beer) but I do find the glorification of ammo a little sickening.  And if you're paying $30 for something you could get for 30 cents and it's not even apparel... Though I guess if you have a $30 bottle opener you consider it home decor and leave it out.

There are probably already a good number of sources out there that responsibly and effectively train attack dogs for that market. I never quite got what set this couple apart from the pack. This seemed like one of those "we're here for publicity, not an investment" presentations.

I don't even understand the publicity aspect. What if the owners are contacted by 100 Scrooge McDuck types who want and can afford an expensive guard dog? How would the they be able to acquire and train that many animals at once? What if the buyers all wanted the $40K dogs, which I assume take longer to go through the program and need lots of individual attention? Hell, I can't see the company filling even 10 "orders" in less than six months. A certain percentage of dogs who start these training programs aren't cut out for it -- what happens to them? Military theme or not, it was ridiculous that this couple made it past initial screening.

• Love 3

I have something LIKE that. You won't ever see it on Shark Tank, though...

oh sure... BRAG about it why don't ya!

I can understand that -- but the small town isn't a private citizen. The fact that they want private citizens to spend an exorbitant amount on something usually financed by entire towns is just crazy to me. You could get a car for what you paid for the dog (and oh, the irony if it was carjacked!)

It's like if people went on Shark Tank and sold recreation centers. Or schools. Or roads.

I don't think that items on Shark Tank need to be for nor affordable by the masses.  The criteria should be --- is it a profitable and scalable business?  There was a guy on a previous season that had a really intricate and expensive home security system.  Not something that everyone could afford but geared to the high end homeowner.  If the margins are good, it doesn't matter if you are selling to the 1%.

Robert reminds me of Kelso (from That 70s Show) when dogs are on.

I'm not anti-gun at all (or anti-beer) but I do find the glorification of ammo a little sickening.  And if you're paying $30 for something you could get for 30 cents and it's not even apparel... Though I guess if you have a $30 bottle opener you consider it home decor and leave it out.

Lori was getting at that. But I think it's a different animal. Bullets from a Glock handgun are pedestrian and have negative connotations.  Casings from an Apache-mounted machinegun are so completely out of the ordinary that they seem unrelated.  It's like how a lot of people who never owned a gun still enjoy touring battleships and seeing the armaments.

I am glad that the glove lady went with Robert. And he looked pretty darn good doing those chin ups. I also loved his (I assume) dig at Cubin, calling himself the sporty shark. Though Cubin owns a sports team, I don't see him as particuarily 'sporty'. Robert is by far my favourite Shark, and I miss him so much on Dragons Den.

I saw this a little differently.  To me it was Robert desperate to get himself an identity.  He always has to outbid the other Sharks or miss out, because he doesn't have their (perceived) expertise or connections.  Him saying "I'm the Sporty Shark! Me!" was trying to make himself first-pick the next time a sports deal comes in.

I'm not anti-gun at all (or anti-beer) but I do find the glorification of ammo a little sickening.  And if you're paying $30 for something you could get for 30 cents and it's not even apparel... Though I guess if you have a $30 bottle opener you consider it home decor and leave it out.

I am very uncomfortable with guns and I don't drink, but I did appreciate that Lori raised the point, and that the couple seemed sensitive to it.  I did however find the description of the larger caliber bullet as their "Weapon of Mass Destruction" to be extremely unappealing.  And so too with Daymond's desire to make other products like keychains.

Also, it really got my dander up that both the Cult of Crossfit woman and the bullet couple made sure to give Lori the pink item.  Because girls like pink!

• Love 4

Also, it really got my dander up that both the Cult of Crossfit woman and the bullet couple made sure to give Lori the pink item.  Because girls like pink!

Lori does like pink; it's her thing. Even when Barbara's there, Lori still gets the pink whatever on handouts.

It's Lori's smirky-screwy face when she says, "And for that reason, I'm out," that makes me want to throw something at her through the TV screen. Men don't mean-girl their way out of deals. Just say you're out and don't make a prissy face.

Men may not mean girl their way out of deals, but Mark and Kevin have their own nasty ways of speaking to and rejecting entrepreneurs. IMO, it's a little unfair to single out the "mean-girl" who happens to be the only woman on the panel half the time.

I think Robert was building himself up a little. I don't think most people would call him the sport shark, so he just decided to bestow that on himself. Then again, there's not much competition. This isn't exactly a young, athletic group. I would, however, approve if all of the sharks started comparing themselves to spice girls. 

I love the idea of using a dog as an anti-carjacking method.  It is just so stupid.  I'd rather have my car stolen than have to lug around a dog everywhere I go.

Weather permitting (not too hot) my dog is always in the car. And he'll bark his little head off at anyone who gets too close. Best dog ever, from the pound.

• Love 1

Men may not mean girl their way out of deals, but Mark and Kevin have their own nasty ways of speaking to and rejecting entrepreneurs. IMO, it's a little unfair to single out the "mean-girl" who happens to be the only woman on the panel half the time.

I think the point is that they don't smile when they do it. Kevin will say "Your idea is terrible, you're going to zero, I think you should take your remaining stock and burn it." Mark sometimes looks like he wants to throw his chair at the guy. Lori puts on a fake smile and says "Maybe being poor for the rest of your life is something you're happy with, but for me? I'm out."  

It's not about being mean vs kind.  It's about being real vs fake.  And despite the "mean girls" moniker, I don't think it's a gender thing.  Barbara is very straightforward.  Robert, on the other hand, comes close to doing the same thing at times.

• Love 3

I think Robert was building himself up a little. I don't think most people would call him the sport shark, so he just decided to bestow that on himself. Then again, there's not much competition. This isn't exactly a young, athletic group. I would, however, approve if all of the sharks started comparing themselves to spice girls. 

Kevin would be Scary Spice. Daymond would be Posh Spice. I'd give Baby Spice to Mark, but I doubt he'd take it. And none of them qualify as Ginger Spice.

Yeah, I was a fan. :)

Edited by Ketzel
  • Love 2

I get your point, but also get what (I believe) the original poster was trying to convey: That Lori really does come across as your "Oh gosh I love it I relate I soooo understand your point of view" bestest buddy right before going out. There's a phoniness to it that I don't get from the guys -- or Barbara -- even when they do give compliments before taking themselves out of the running, and it's punctuated with a bit of a smirk. It's why I commented earlier that I wouldn't trust her as a business partner. (Or what Amarsir posted above while I was typing away!)

I would, however, approve if all of the sharks started comparing themselves to spice girls.

Hee! That was my thought as well, though I don't know who'd be Ginger. (...and Ketzel beat me to the Spice Girls comment. Note to self: Learn to type faster!)

Edited by designing1
  • Love 3

I think Lori is one of the nicer Sharks.  Mark is often so arrogant and insulting, his whole face is a mask of disgust.  Kevin pretends to be that way but I feel like with him it's 90% acting.  

I think Robert IS the sportiest Shark, and the most fit.  Those pullups he cranked out are not easy.  I think Mark likes to keep up on the fields of fitness and nutrition, but I suspect it's more from a perspective of weight management with him, not that he's a natural athlete or lover of participating in sports, like I bet Robert is.  

The overpriced Crossfit gloves... I have a pair of lifting gloves I've had for years that work fine.  I think they were under $10.  I think the appeal of that product she made was to look cool.  Kind of like the Beer Breacher.  But targetting Crossfitters is a good plan.  People who spend $129/month to go to a "box" will buy stuff to make them look and seem more athletic.  

I have a cat who alerts whenever anyone (or even an animal) comes into my front yard.  Yes, every afternoon when the mail is delivered, he jumps up with great alarm and runs to the front of the house.  This has been going on for YEARS.  I found him on the street as a kitten, and he's been relatively cheap to keep (no big surgeries - yet).    My deterrent is my machete - most intruders freak at the thought of being hacked to bits by a crazed-looking nekkid old lady.  :-)

Oh, and my personal anti-carjacking (car safety) device is a sharp hatchet sitting between my seat & the console.  Mighty handy.

Those highly trained dogs are wonderful.  Having watched police dogs being trained for many years, I can tell you that the training is on-going.  These dogs need constant practice and reinforcement to retain their skills.  That's the expensive part of the program no one mentioned.

I wasn't overly impressed with any of the ideas brought to the sharks in this episode. 

• Love 1

Surely that dog is trained to do a lot more than bark and look threatening when the doorbell rings? That seems to be what was described at the $20k level; nothing about attacking an assailant (if the dog does more- HORRIBLE example. It sounded like a joke.). To get the dog to offer personal protection looked like it cost a lot more.  As everyone else has said, my $35 shelter dog barks when the doorbell rings. She also "smiles" at new people, which is often interpreted as her barring her teeth in aggression. We really got our money's worth with that one!

If that man bag came in pink or teal, and the strap is adjustable to small sizes, I'd be all over it. That looked like an awesome back pack, and I love how it stayed balanced when not cross body!

Edited by Skittl1321
  • Love 1
Lori does like pink; it's her thing. Even when Barbara's there, Lori still gets the pink whatever on handouts.

I love the color pink, but it still bothers me when they specifically give a pink thing to the woman.  

I've always wondered....do they give the entrepreneurs fact sheets on the Sharks, or do people do their own research.  Because sometimes with food they have really specific favors picked out for each person and I could never tell if it's random or they know who likes what.

This isn't exactly a young, athletic group. I would, however, approve if all of the sharks started comparing themselves to spice girls.

I really, really, wanted someone else to start doing that.

As everyone else has said, my $35 pound dog barks when the doorbell rings.

This has me thinking....someone should make a doorbell that sounds like a dog barking.   Then they can scare people off without even buying a dog.

Edited by KaveDweller

The picture of the cracked bleeding hands for the weight lifting gloves was a little over the top.  I actually see a lot of weightlifters making fun of people who wear gloves, suggesting they get a weight lifting purse to match.

• Love 1

There ARE doorbells that sound like barking dogs!  And I agree, it's a good idea!

The men I know carry laptops and other gear all over the country and they use laptop style backpacks.  They look more comfortable and back-friendly than the crossbody style bag he was selling.  

The picture of the cracked bleeding hands for the weight lifting gloves was a little over the top.  I actually see a lot of weightlifters making fun of people who wear gloves, suggesting they get a weight lifting purse to match.

Rowers are like that too.  Rowing ripped the crap out of my hands, but you didn't dare wear gloves.

The dog is worth every penny, cooksdelight.    But your town should shell out a little extra for a K-9 bulletproof vest.  Those dogs really do deserve the best, because the work they do is dangerous, and they will never hesitate to carry out their duties.   Besides, every one I've had the pleasure of meeting was sweet, loving, loyal and fiercely intelligent (which is more than I can say for the cops).  ;-)

There ARE doorbells that sound like barking dogs!  And I agree, it's a good idea! 

It is a great idea.   Unless the intruder just breaks in.  My doorbell has been broken for over a decade.  A wireless one I bought as long ago is still unwrapped.   People don't often come to my door, which is nice.

• Love 2

I've always wondered....do they give the entrepreneurs fact sheets on the Sharks, or do people do their own research.  Because sometimes with food they have really specific favors picked out for each person and I could never tell if it's random or they know who likes what.

I have often wondered this too, particularily when it comes to colours as pitchers almost always give pink products to Lori and I think often Babara as well. Personally I hate the colour pink and would be ticked off if I was given a pink sample of a product just because I am female.

Edited by UsernameFatigue
  • Love 1
I've always wondered....do they give the entrepreneurs fact sheets on the Sharks, or do people do their own research.  Because sometimes with food they have really specific favors picked out for each person and I could never tell if it's random or they know who likes what

The bottle opener couple mentioned that they brought gluten-free beer for Mark Cuban, so I would think they know something beforehand.

Lori is indeed the fakiest fake that ever faked. I hate Kevin, so I won't waste words on him. I don't really understand Mark. He is reactionary. He did a guest spot on The League and does dumb commercials and that puzzles me. I'm sure he doesn't need the money. I think that dilutes his "brand".

I feel about equal toward Daymond, Barbara and Robert. They certainly don't strike me as the blowhards the others can be. I don't watch the show to hear for the umpteenth time about Lori's QVC emporium or how Kevin has invested in every single "space" that exists or about the Dallas Mavericks, again. I watch for the unique people that come on who aren't totally self-absorbed, entitled assholes and/or Miracle Mommies who think they will save the world.

• Love 2

The bottle opener couple mentioned that they brought gluten-free beer for Mark Cuban, so I would think they know something beforehand

They've made mention in the past of Mark's avoidance of gluten.  And Daymond is lactose-intolerance, but somehow anyone coming on with a dairy product still gives him a sample.

• Love 1

That dog thing seemed ridiculous to me. We found my Buffy in a parking lot as a puppy. We gave her a pack of Cheetos and next thing you know she's 125 pound monster with her own recliner and a bladder that refused to coordinate to our sleep schedules. She's no longer with us (RIP, sweetie), but she gave us 10 good years of security. And, by "security," I mean she would hear a car, run to the door, bark twice and then go hide in the bathtub. Like, "Warned you, humans. You're on your own now. Peace out."

I've often wondered what we would have gotten had we given her something other than Cheetos. Potato chips, perhaps? Would she have then at least hung around long enough to determine if it was the mailman or an ax murderer?

I guess my point is that for a $1 in a vending machine, we accomplished what they wanted $20K to do.

• Love 4

The dog business seemed like a massive liability risk.  Just wait till the dog attacks someone's child, or whatever.  Aside from the lack of scalability, this was a real problem.

Part of the expensive training is to teach the dog the difference between someone who's posing a threat and others who are harmless. I've never heard of a trained attack/police dog ever harming a child or an innocent person.

• Love 2