Type keyword(s) to search

Holiday TV Movies & (Non-Rankin Bass) Holiday Specials - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I just got done watching a late night airing of Holly's Holiday/A Perfect Christmas (Alternate Title) on UP a bit ago. The online TV guides I use said it was from 2012 and when I looked it up I found out it originally aired on Lifetime. It was really fun and entertaining which I think was due in part to Christmas not being the main focus even though the holiday was mentioned in the movie. I don't see any future airings of it listed but it is available for viewing on Hulu under Holly's Holiday.

Edited by Jaded
  • Love 4

I just happened upon Mr. 365, a 2018 Christmas Passionflix with Chelsea Hobbs as a reality tv producer shooting a piece on Christopher Russell, aka Mr 365, a handsome, muscular single man with a house full of Christmas decorations all year long. It's your basic romance sprinkled with a smidge of californian, sunshiny Christmas, and it's not really better or worse than most other seasonal tv movies, story-wise, but it cracked me up to see how much Passionflix goes for broke on the horniness of its characters (at least compared to most tv movies).

Here, everybody, from the first scene on, acts like a thirsty hormonal teenager, and the relationship is consumed halfway through the movie, only to fall to the usual "last minute obstacle" trope. I don't know if I'd recommand this one (despite likeable leads with nice chemistry, fun diverse supporting characters, and a lighthearted tone), but one thing is sure : after a month and a half of sanitized Hallmark & Lifetime movies, I didn't expect that sex scene.

• Love 1
On 12/24/2018 at 12:21 AM, Jaded said:

I just got done watching a late night airing of Holly's Holiday/A Perfect Christmas (Alternate Title) on UP a bit ago. The online TV guides I use said it was from 2012 and when I looked it up I found out it originally aired on Lifetime. It was really fun and entertaining which I think was due in part to Christmas not being the main focus even though the holiday was mentioned in the movie. I don't see any future airings of it listed but it is available for viewing on Hulu under Holly's Holiday.

I skipped this one when it aired because the actress played a character that really annoyed me on Grimm. Now I can finally look at this objectively and I think I'll check it out, especially after your review (and I see it has the ever yummy Ryan McPartlin from The Flight Before Christmas). Looks like it's also on Tubi Tv as an alternative for folks who don't have the other channels.

• Love 1

I'm bummed Lifetime stopped their marathon because I just stumbled across a gem. I never seen Holiday Wishes with Amber Benson until now and it's absolutely the bonkers kind of tv movie I love during this time. A spoiled girl switches body with a foster girl in a Freaky Friday kind of way. Amber is looking for a sister who may or may not exist. The boyfriend she just broke up with keeps popping up in random places and may or may not have magical powers. I enjoyed it! It was heartwarming in the end because the spoiled girl only acted out because of her mother consuming herself with her job that even the husband felt distant. And the foster girl just wanted a family and ended up with a bunch of brats as her foster brother and sister (whom the spoiled girl gets revenge on after the switch hehe). Unfortunately, I don't think it's airing on Lifetime anymore but I just spotted it on the Tube of You in case anyone wants to give it a looksie.

I kind of wish there was a followup sequel to see where the girls are later and how they're families are fairing. 

• Love 3

Hallmark is going to be airing Christmas movies until January 6th. I wonder if that's because of Epiphany or do they have so many movies that they have no choice?

I keep telling you, at this rate, it's only a matter of time before they're showing Christmas movies year round.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Camille said:

Hallmark is going to be airing Christmas movies until January 6th. I wonder if that's because of Epiphany or do they have so many movies that they have no choice?

I keep telling you, at this rate, it's only a matter of time before they're showing Christmas movies year round.

They changed their schedule for the main Hallmark Channel.  The original schedule had the movies ending on the evening of January 5th and transitioning right into Winterfest movies that same night.   Now the Christmas movies are ending early in the morning on January 2nd, which is more or less their usual end-of-the-season schedule.   Right now, the Hallmark Movies & Mysteries schedule still shows Christmas movies up until very early in the morning on January 7th and then ending, but I would not be shocked if they cut that back as well.

Even if they had stuck to the longer schedule on the Hallmark Channel, it was only one week longer (or slightly less) than usual.

Edited by TVFan17
  • Love 4

I am a sucker for a good Christmas royalty story, but I almost can't watch A Prince for Christmas because of the train scene at the end, where she is getting on the train, in America, and the darn thing is a steam engine.  I get the romance of the rails, but this wasn't a historical romance....

• Love 2

I use Pinterest to save Christmas movie posters/ads for future reference.  I hardly know any of the actors by name, so seeing the leads' names & faces along with the movie title helps me keep them straight.  I also don't pay a lot of attention to whether the movies are Hallmark or non (though I think most are probably Hallmark). 

Favorites:

A Gift Wrapped Christmas (personal shopper for widower with young son)
Nine Lives of Christmas (and I'm not even a cat person!)
November Christmas (town celebrates early for sick girl)
The Heart of Christmas (town celebrates early for sick boy - true story, so almost too sad to watch)
A Season for Miracles (aunt on the run with her niece & nephew)
The Christmas Secret (Tutor Girl saves a life & loses a locket)
A Dream of Christmas (Another alternate-reality setting, but married couple Nikki Deloach & Andrew Walker are so cute)
A Christmas Wish (poor single mom works at a diner.  And Ed Herrmann!)
Christmas with Holly (those uncles!!)

Runners Up:

Naughty or Nice (Peyton finds Santa's list)
The Christmas Note (search for long-lost brother...or not!)
The Christmas Shepherd (Dog!)
Borrowed Hearts (a real oldie)
12 Men of Christmas (don't judge)
Home By Christmas (homeless Linda Hamilton)
A Very Merry Mix-Up (I generally like Alicia Witt & this is one of her best, IMO)

Edited by GeorgiaRai
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, GeorgiaRai said:

I use Pinterest to save Christmas movie posters/ads for future reference.  I hardly know any of the actors by name, so seeing the leads' names & faces along with the movie title helps me keep them straight.  I also don't pay a lot of attention to whether the movies are Hallmark or non (though I think most are probably Hallmark). 

Favorites:

A Gift Wrapped Christmas (personal shopper for widower with young son)
Nine Lives of Christmas (and I'm not even a cat person!)
November Christmas (town celebrates early for sick girl)
The Heart of Christmas (town celebrates early for sick boy - true story, so almost too sad to watch)
A Season for Miracles (aunt on the run with her niece & nephew)
The Christmas Secret (Tutor Girl saves a life & loses a locket)
A Dream of Christmas (Another alternate-reality setting, but married couple Nikki Deloach & Andrew Walker are so cute)
A Christmas Wish (poor single mom works at a diner.  And Ed Herrmann!)
Christmas with Holly (those uncles!!)

Runners Up:

Naughty or Nice (Peyton finds Santa's list)
The Christmas Note (search for long-lost brother...or not!)
The Christmas Shepherd (Dog!)
Borrowed Hearts (a real oldie)
12 Men of Christmas (don't judge)
Home By Christmas (homeless Linda Hamilton)
A Very Merry Mix-Up (I generally like Alicia Witt & this is one of her best, IMO)

Oh, that's a good idea!  It would help to have the visual reminders.  I may have to try that.  Or maybe I'll just download the main image from IMDB or something, so I can easily move them among folders.  The visual cues would be especially helpful as the names become more and more similar over time.  (And a lot of the plots!)

I haven't seen everything on your list, but of the ones I have, these are some of my favorites also:

A Gift Wrapped Christmas (personal shopper for widower with young son)  I love this one too.
Nine Lives of Christmas (and I'm not even a cat person!))  I'm not either... but I may have to become one!
The Christmas Secret (Tutor Girl saves a life & loses a locket) I watched this again the other night and loved it!
Christmas with Holly (those uncles!!)  Yes!!  Such a sweet movie!
Naughty or Nice (Peyton finds Santa's list)  This one started my Christmas movie addiction/obsession.
A Very Merry Mix-Up (I generally like Alicia Witt & this is one of her best, IMO)  I generally don't like Alicia very much, but I love this movie.  It reminds me of While You Were Sleeping.

• Love 2

I watched Christmas Around the Corner (with Alexandra Breckenridge) and Every Day is Christmas (with Toni Braxton).   (In Lifetime's On Demand section.)  I found each one to be very pleasant in its own way -- with some slow parts here and there, as usual.   I mostly enjoyed them.   I'm not sure I would make a point of actively seeking them out and watching them again, but if I caught them while channel surfing I might stop and watch if there was nothing else on.

The only issue with me for Christmas Around the Corner was that I didn't really care about the romance in that one (and this is coming from the person who usually prefers rom coms over serious dramas!!).   I was more invested in everyone getting the bookstore cleaned, organized and repaired, as well as putting some Christmas spirit back into the town.  I didn't feel that the romance or connection between the two leads was developed enough for me to care whether they were together or not, so that made me more interested in the other stories.

There was nothing wrong with Every Day is Christmas.  I enjoy the general Christmas Carol/Scrooge storyline.    I kind of wished there had been more scenes from the past, present and future than what we got, but I suppose that couldn't happen because of time constraints.   There were some funny moments and some touching moments, though, which was nice.   I liked mom & dad.

Most of these made-for-TV Christmas movies (across multiple channels) generally fall into one of four categories for me:

#1)  Movies I love upon first viewing, and I can't wait to watch again.

#2)  Movies I find pleasant and enjoyable, but I don't feel a need to watch again.  Once was enough.

#3)  Movies that I find dull, boring, or that I simply dislike.

#4)   Movies that start out as either category #2 or category #3 above -- but I end up catching them again down the road and find that I actually really like or love them!!!

Now, realistically, it is not likely that most movies will fall into category #1.    The category #1 movies are few and far between, relative to how many new movies are made every year.    It is more likely that the movies will fall into #2, #3 or #4.  

This year, most of the new Christmas movies I have seen (from any network) have been category #2 or category #3 movies.  Some of those may graduate to category #4 in the future, but others will stay at #2 or #3.

Edited by TVFan17
  • Love 6

I finally watched Christmas Pen Pals from Lifetime and loved it. I wish I had watched it sooner. It was kinda weird seeing Michael Gross playing a good guy again after all the bad guy characters he's played over the years since Family Ties. I finally get what all the Niall Matter love is about now. 😊

• Love 5

I figured it'd be fun to do a year end list of fave premieres this past season. I did one in the Hallmark thread for those movies and thought I'd post my overall list here. I'd love to see what's on everyone else's list. 

My Hallmark faves are:

1) Hope For Christmas

2) Memories of Christmas

3) Christmas at Pemberley Manor

4) Christmas Everlasting

5) A Majestic Christmas

Possibly 6) A Midnight Kiss

Maybe 7) A Gingerbread Romance

My overall faves were:

My Christmas Inn

The Christmas Chronicles

The Holiday Calendar

The Princess Switch

The Truth About Christmas

Chandler Family Getaway

Christmas Lost and Found

Poinsettias For Christmas

A Twist of Christmas

Christmas Around the Corner

Every Day is Christmas

I still have a few more Lifetime, Ion and Up ones to watch which I'll probably spread over this month.

• Love 1

I just got done watching a late night airing of Holly's Holiday/A Perfect Christmas (Alternate Title) on UP a bit ago. The online TV guides I use said it was from 2012 and when I looked it up I found out it originally aired on Lifetime. It was really fun and entertaining which I think was due in part to Christmas not being the main focus even though the holiday was mentioned in the movie. I don't see any future airings of it listed but it is available for viewing on Hulu under Holly's Holiday.

and this one gets bonus points for reality because the campaign they're coming up with is for NEXT Christmas season and not the one they''re currently celebrating.  It drives me crazy when these movies show people in December working on holiday campaigns for the current season.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, sacrebleu said:

and this one gets bonus points for reality because the campaign they're coming up with is for NEXT Christmas season and not the one they''re currently celebrating.  It drives me crazy when these movies show people in December working on holiday campaigns for the current season.

That annoys me to no end. And the advertisement is like a week before Christmas. 

6 hours ago, sacrebleu said:

and this one gets bonus points for reality because the campaign they're coming up with is for NEXT Christmas season and not the one they''re currently celebrating.

I always thought the ad was a replacement for the current Christmas ad, which is why they're in such a rush (and no, it doesn't make any sense).  I've trained myself to just ignore it because I enjoy the movie except for that, but that's generally something near, if not at, the top of my tv movie pet peeve list.  And I'm still annoyed they changed the title. 

I finally watched Christmas on Holly Lane (one of UP's movies), thanks to On Demand.   I thought it was very good.  It had a solid script (with a bit of substance and depth), a likable cast, and I loved the friendship at the core of it.    The dialogue was also good. 

I really had no problems with it,  but it is not a movie I would necessarily watch again and again every year.   There are a lot of movies that I think are good, but they don't really put me in a Christmasy mood.   If I want to keep a marathon of Christmas movies on as background sound, I usually gravitate towards the ones that are happier (sans adulterous husbands) and more energetic.   And if I want to get in a merry/jolly/festive state of mind, I don't watch movies that are more serious or dramatic more than maybe once or twice per season, if that.    

So I think that Christmas on Holly Lane (although it definitely had fun, lighthearted moments) is one that I would only watch again if I found myself in a specific mood to watch something with a little more substance -- but not in the middle of a flurry of holiday madness.  But this is just a personal choice for me.     I think that other people would really like Christmas on Holly Lane and be able to watch it at any time!

Edited by TVFan17
  • Love 8
On 1/10/2019 at 7:21 AM, Koalagirl said:

2 hours ago, Jaded said:

I didn't watch that one. That whole situation is awful in regards to that family and the visual message those screenshots convey.

I could only make it through 30 minutes of that movie but I did see that scene. A family photo ending up in the movie is unfortunate but I did not interpret “they’re ugly” as an insult to anything other than Christmas. The lead’s emotional abusive boyfriend was complaining about her wanting to put up any Christmas cards not that specific card. The cards were also referred to as “ruining the aesthetic” and “festive”.

I get that in the movie he was supposed to be talking about the cards and not the people in the picture. What looks bad is that with the two leads being white the crappy boyfriend is saying a card with a picture of a mixed couple with a biracial child is ugly.  Sadly I don't think anyone would have really noticed the people in the picture if they had been white too. These cookie cutter cable Christmas movies were whitewashed for so long that scenes like that stand out. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Jaded said:

I get that in the movie he was supposed to be talking about the cards and not the people in the picture. What looks bad is that with the two leads being white the crappy boyfriend is saying a card with a picture of a mixed couple with a biracial child is ugly.  Sadly I don't think anyone would have really noticed the people in the picture if they had been white too. These cookie cutter cable Christmas movies were whitewashed for so long that scenes like that stand out. 

There's potential irony to this situation if the prop guy was trying to introduce a little diversity when he was simply asked to get family-photo Christmas cards.

I liked that movie (mostly because of the wonderful singing) but the couple is now making a bigger deal about this so everyone will see their picture. They should be suing because Lifetime used their picture without permission, not by supposedly calling them ugly (which they weren’t, it was putting pictures up that the jerk boyfriend thought was ugly). They couldn’t find someone on the crew to borrow one of their old Christmas cards for this 5 second scene? Idiots.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Dani said:

I could only make it through 30 minutes of that movie but I did see that scene. A family photo ending up in the movie is unfortunate but I did not interpret “they’re ugly” as an insult to anything other than Christmas. The lead’s emotional abusive boyfriend was complaining about her wanting to put up any Christmas cards not that specific card. The cards were also referred to as “ruining the aesthetic” and “festive”.

I read a lot of comments from people who watched the movie and said the exact same thing.  But hey, since when does the truth get in the way of greedy people playing the victim/race card and looking for a big, easy payoff?

2 hours ago, twoods said:

I liked that movie (mostly because of the wonderful singing) but the couple is now making a bigger deal about this so everyone will see their picture. They should be suing because Lifetime used their picture without permission, not by supposedly calling them ugly (which they weren’t, it was putting pictures up that the jerk boyfriend thought was ugly). They couldn’t find someone on the crew to borrow one of their old Christmas cards for this 5 second scene? Idiots.

That's so true.  I wonder who gave the set dresser the photo?  It must have been someone who is a friend or family member.

2 hours ago, AnnaRose said:

I wonder who gave the set dresser the photo?  It must have been someone who is a friend or family member.

Should have been created from "stock photos" for which they don't have to worry about copyright (and other) lawsuits.

ETA: Instead, they probably Googled family christmas photos or something.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 3
21 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

There's potential irony to this situation if the prop guy was trying to introduce a little diversity when he was simply asked to get family-photo Christmas cards.

It probably was something like that which caused this whole mess. 

• Love 2

It seems my prediction that Hallmark would one day be airing Christmas movies year round wasn't too far off--a Christmas movie will be airing this weekend and another one aired a few weeks ago. And they're doing something online about voting for your favorite Christmas movie--in the middle of March?

20 hours ago, Camille said:

It seems my prediction that Hallmark would one day be airing Christmas movies year round wasn't too far off--a Christmas movie will be airing this weekend and another one aired a few weeks ago. And they're doing something online about voting for your favorite Christmas movie--in the middle of March?

5 hours ago, Popples said:

One of the Hallmark channels is airing one Christmas movie every Thursday night for the rest of the year. I saw them advertising for it during re-runs of Psych.

Kudos to the marketing/scheduling staff who realized viewers need a little Christmas spirit these days.

On 3/18/2019 at 6:21 PM, shapeshifter said:

Kudos to the marketing/scheduling staff who realized viewers need a little Christmas spirit these days.

Apparently, they will be airing one every Thursday and Friday in preparation for the tenth anniversary of Hallmark's Christmas movie marathon. Additionally, supposedly TPTB are looking to pitch the idea of a year-round Christmas channel and this is part of a test run.

• Useful 2

Is anyone else going to continue an Easter tradition and watch "The Ten Commandments" next Saturday?

I can't believe how long the tradition of airing it every Easter Saturday/Sunday has gone on.

I also can't believe how long it is. One year, I left my house at 7, when it was starting. I went to a friend's baby shower and a movie and not only was it still going on when I got back, the Hebrews hadn't even left Egypt yet!

For a movie called "The Ten Commandments", it takes forever to get to that point.

And despite being about the first PASSOVER, it's aired as an EASTER tradition. Though to be fair, the holidays overlap.

Edited by Camille

Well, it's the annual watching of The Ten Commandments.  Everyone goes on about how bad Anne Baxter is in this, but to me she's just campy.  In fact, quite a bit of this movie is campy.

What I choose to focus on is Nina Foch as Princess Bithiah.  She does an amazing job.

• Love 1
On 4/20/2019 at 9:21 PM, bmoore4026 said:

Well, it's the annual watching of The Ten Commandments.  Everyone goes on about how bad Anne Baxter is in this, but to me she's just campy.  In fact, quite a bit of this movie is campy.

What I choose to focus on is Nina Foch as Princess Bithiah.  She does an amazing job.

So do the special effects. Remarkable even now, but especially in 1956.

• Love 1

UP TV sent me a survey about an upcoming original Christmas movie featuring a runaway bride. Of course she runs away from her wedding only to end up reconnecting with her childhood sweetheart.

They asked me which title I liked best.

Christmas Wedding Runaway

Cold Feet at Christmas

A Christmas Bride

A Heartfelt Christmas

To Merry or Not to Marry

23 minutes ago, In2You said:

UP TV sent me a survey about an upcoming original Christmas movie featuring a runaway bride. Of course she runs away from her wedding only to end up reconnecting with her childhood sweetheart.

They asked me which title I liked best.

Christmas Wedding Runaway

Cold Feet at Christmas

A Christmas Bride

A Heartfelt Christmas

To Merry or Not to Marry

Was there an option for none of the above?

• Love 2
7 hours ago, LexieLily said:

Was there an option for none of the above?

You had to rank them on how likely you are to watch a movie with that title. 

Cold Feet at Christmas was my highest ranked.

• Love 2
(edited)
8 hours ago, In2You said:

You had to rank them on how likely you are to watch a movie with that title. 

Cold Feet at Christmas was my highest ranked.

Same here.  That's the only one that doesn't sound like one I've already watched.

Edited to Add:  To Merry or Not to Marry is the worst title IMO.  I hate that one.  (Closely followed by Heartfelt Christmas which gives no indication what it's about.)

Edited by AnnaRose
typo
  • Love 4
(edited)

Next week, Hallmark and Lifetime will be starting their "Christmas In July" marathon's. In true Christmas Creep style, they're starting a few days (June 28) BEFORE July. 

Hallmark will likely be airing Christmas movies the entire month, as usual. I'm not sure about Lifetime.

I'm surprised that Lifetime is getting into it. They used to just air them for the first week in July, but they quit when Hallmark took it up and did it for the entire month. I guess they want the ratings boost too, and a respite from their usual "women in peril" stories.

I'm surprised their movies aren't more like "Psycho Santa Killer".

Edited by Camille
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1
On 6/16/2019 at 9:36 PM, Camille said:

You probably blacked out due to the oversaturation. 

Hallmark Movies & Mysteries is advertising two weeks.  I think what is throwing me off is that Hallmark is doing two weeks and Hallmark Movies and Mysteries is doing two weeks but those weeks aren't the same two weeks.  They only overlap two days.

• Love 3