Type keyword(s) to search

Holiday TV Movies & (Non-Rankin Bass) Holiday Specials - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Since Hallmark Movies & Mysteries is getting an early start with Christmas, I thought "Hey, maybe the movies I like that previously only had morning showtimes will now have an afternoon or evening showtime!"  So I rushed to the HMM site check a couple of them -- The Christmas Ornament is one example -- and... nope.  No luck.  Hallmark added an extra showtime for The Christmas Ornament, but it, too, is a morning showtime!!   All 7 of the scheduled showtimes for The Christmas Ornament are in the morning, and some of them are very early.  Not a single one in the afternoon or evening.

Sigh.

And neither the original Mrs. Miracle movie (with James Van Der Beek and Erin Karpluk) nor Angel of Christmas (with Jonathan Scarfe and Jennifer Finnigan) is scheduled for Hallmark Movies and Mysteries.   They're not scheduled for Hallmark Drama either.  And they're not on that detailed list of the Christmas movies on the Hallmark Movies Now streaming app (which I linked on the previous page). 

HUH?  You mean to tell me that these 2 movies that I like are not on ANY of the 3 linear channels, nor are they on the streaming app?  LOL   That's 4 possible places they could go, and they are just not airing at all?

I give up.  LOL

Since two totally different movies I love -- Angels and Ornaments and Farewell, Mr. Kringle -- are on the Drama channel this year, if I want to see them badly enough, I will pay the $6 for Frndly or whatever it is for the month of November.  Or I will get the free 7-day trial and watch them that way.   There is not much else I am interested in watching on Hallmark Drama, but maybe I'd throw in a viewing of November Christmas and The Santa Suit for kicks.

And then I have to decide if there is anything worthwhile enough for me to get the free trial of Hallmark Movies Now.  Most of what's on HMN is not what I am interested in, or I have seen some of the movies enough times and don't need to see them again.  I'd probably rather save the free trial on HMN for a time when they are premiering something totally new that interests me.

• Love 2

Thank you guys for doing all the heavy lifting. There are way too many channels and movies to keep track. No wonder we are Christmas movie fatigued by December! 

Bummed about the Mrs Miracle movies because I really enjoy them, and looking forward to Freeform airing The Mistletones because I’m due for a rewatch on that one.

• Love 7

For those that were looking for Mrs.  Miracle it may be airing on Hallmark Drama 10/29 @ noon central and then it says at 2 a.m. central that same day.  I know the schedule is messed up because they started a week early.  This is according to Directv guide. 

• Love 2
41 minutes ago, twoods said:

Thank you guys for doing all the heavy lifting. There are way too many channels and movies to keep track. No wonder we are Christmas movie fatigued by December! 

Bummed about the Mrs Miracle movies because I really enjoy them, and looking forward to Freeform airing The Mistletones because I’m due for a rewatch on that one.

Call Me Mrs. Miracle (with Jewel Staite and Eric Johnson) has two early morning showtimes (in November) on the Hallmark Movies & Mysteries channel.  And the inferior Mr. Miracle (with Rob Morrow) has lots of showtimes in October and November  on Hallmark Drama. 

But, for some inexplicable reason, that first Mrs. Miracle movie with James Van Der Beek is not scheduled for any of the 3 channels, nor has it been announced as one of the movies on the Hallmark Movies Now streaming app this season.   So I am completely baffled as to why it is not schedule for any of the 4 places where it could be shown!  lol

I love The Mistle-Tones!  It's so much fun.   Hopefully it will remain on Freeform and not be shuffled off to the Disney+ service in December.

Even if we were only dealing with Hallmark's movies (old and new) alone, it would be a lot to keep track of, as they are split across 4 channels.  But then add in Netflix, ION (which still has to announce its line-up), UP, Freeform, Lifetime, and some of the channels that might only air 1-3 new movies, such as BYU, OWN, TV One, INSP, etc., and it is just overwhelming to keep up with which movies can be found in which places!

Edited by TVFan17
  • Love 3
5 minutes ago, BigDave2019 said:

For those that were looking for Mrs.  Miracle it may be airing on Hallmark Drama 10/29 @ noon central and then it says at 2 a.m. central that same day.  I know the schedule is messed up because they started a week early.  This is according to Directv guide. 

Anything is possible, but the original Mrs. Miracle movie (with James Van Der Beek) is not yet showing up with any showtimes on the Hallmark website, and it's not on the Hallmark Drama schedule yet, according to this schedule page linked below.  But, again, anything can happen, as we see!   Hallmark is changing things all the time.

https://www.hallmarkdrama.com/schedule?mode=&day=10&week=0&tz=PST

• Love 1
On 10/18/2019 at 9:42 AM, TVFan17 said:

However, I cannot stand that annoying sister who decides to take matters into her own hands, and tries to cause trouble in the last section of the movie (because she thinks that Autumn Reeser's character is up to no good).  I wanted her brother to be angrier at her and then send her off into the cold, wintry night and not speak to her for a few months.  But... it's a Hallmark movie... and it's Christmas time and all... so she is forgiven and everyone forgets what she did, as they are all hanging out around the big Balsam Hill tree!  lol

Right? I could totally get behind that kind of result. They don't even have to end it like that. They could have her come back or call him after he sends her away and she asks if things could be worked out between them and he could tell her they will have to see after some time. Boom. She gets humbled, he is allowed to be human and show anger, and there is still some chance of redemption on her part and reconciliation between them so it doesn't end too dark.

But yeah, everything must be happy happy quick fix in Hallmarklandia.

Still one of my faves though haha.

• Love 2

Lifetime has added new movies to their It's a Wonderful Lifetime line-up -- bringing their total up to 30 new holiday movies and ONE new holiday special!! 

Two of the titles linked in the article below were already on their website, and one of the other titles (the Ashanti movie) they slipped into an updated list on Twitter a couple of weeks ago -- apparently before they were ready to put it on their actual website -- but they did not explain that they were adding in a new movie. 

They finally, officially, released info about Ashanti's movie -- and I guess this info came out on Friday, but I was so distracted by Hallmark Drama and Hallmark Movies & Mysteries suddenly jumping into full-time Christmas movie mode that day that I did not realize that Lifetime made the announcement about the new movies then too.

In any case, here is the article about Ashanti's movie (A Christmas Winter Song) and the Kelley Jakle/Jake Epstein movie called Mistletoe & Menorahs (which is an acquisition that had 2 previous titles, and was not originally made for Lifetime -- in fact, I had been wondering where it was going to end up, as no network had claimed it yet), as well as two other titles that were already on Lifetime's website.--

https://www.glamour.com/story/lifetime-holiday-movies-ashanti

So between that article linked above and this list on Lifetime's website (which is not fully updated yet) -- https://www.mylifetime.com/christmas-movies/full-schedule -- there are 30 new movies and the Battle of the Christmas Movie Stars special.

And, just in case you missed it, Lifetime had already jumped into airing 6 Christmas movies per day, every day last week, except for Saturday and Sunday.    They even repeated one or two of the movies each morning, in the wee hours, as well.  So they were already devoting 16 hours every day to Christmas, getting their viewers warmed up for the bigger extravaganza that is coming.   

Their sudden switch to daily marathons of Christmas movies last week was, as expected, met with both praise and complaints on Lifetime's Facebook page.  Some people loved all of the Christmas.  Others were mad that they pulled their regular programming because it's not what they expected from Lifetime in mid-October.

If I am not mistaken, I think Lifetime is back to 6 movies per day this week and 2 overnight repeats, until their event officially kicks off on Friday.  But I am not seeing an actual 24/7 schedule after Friday, as they are still breaking from Christmas to show infomercials.   Maybe that will change when they get into November and December?

Lifetime is competing with Hallmark.  Hallmark is competing with Lifetime.   Fun times!   Lots of choices for viewers.   Other channels such as UPtv, Freeform, ION, BYU, OWN and Netflix are offering new movies and/or steady holiday fare, but they are not as involved in this battle for ratings and viewers in the same way Lifetime and Hallmark are.  The other networks are kind of staying on the sidelines, away from the Christmas Movie Wars carnage.  lol

Edited by TVFan17
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1

Holiday movies and specials I want to see that aren't Hallmark or Lifetime movies and have been missing in action the last couple of years:

(1) Christmas Angel starring Bruce Davison and Kari Hawker

(2) Olive, the Other Reindeer

(3) Mr. Magoo's A Christmas Carol

(4) Two oldies but goodies - (a) The Best Christmas Pageant Ever and (b) The House Without a Christmas Tree.  

Realistically, neither of those is going to show up on my tv, but a girl can hope.  After all, it is supposed to be the season of miracles.

• Love 3
31 minutes ago, dalek said:

Holiday movies and specials I want to see that aren't Hallmark or Lifetime movies and have been missing in action the last couple of years:

(1) Christmas Angel starring Bruce Davison and Kari Hawker

(2) Olive, the Other Reindeer

(3) Mr. Magoo's A Christmas Carol

(4) Two oldies but goodies - (a) The Best Christmas Pageant Ever and (b) The House Without a Christmas Tree.  

Realistically, neither of those is going to show up on my tv, but a girl can hope.  After all, it is supposed to be the season of miracles.

I usually find Christmas Angel w/ Bruce Davison somewhere during the season.  Lifetime tends to show it a couple of times per season, and then it might also be shown on a lesser-known independent channel, or a channel that people never think to look for Christmas movies.   (I always have to check it when I see it pop up in a listing to be sure it's not one of the other movies with the same title.)  Hallmark also has it on their Hallmark Movies Now streaming service as well. 

So don't give up on that one.  It might still materialize somewhere over the next couple of months.

Bruce Davison is in one of Hallmark's new movies this year too -- Christmas at the Plaza.

• Love 1
20 hours ago, MissyPoo said:

Right? I could totally get behind that kind of result. They don't even have to end it like that. They could have her come back or call him after he sends her away and she asks if things could be worked out between them and he could tell her they will have to see after some time. Boom. She gets humbled, he is allowed to be human and show anger, and there is still some chance of redemption on her part and reconciliation between them so it doesn't end too dark.

But yeah, everything must be happy happy quick fix in Hallmarklandia.

Still one of my faves though haha.

I wasn't glued to the screen, so as I recall, at the beginning it was the brother who was gung ho to sue the nurse and the sister was hesitant. So the switch to her being insistent on suing seemed to be an abrupt, unexplained change. I could be wrong.

At the end, I was more concerned that Autumn Reeser was so fucking thin. Her legs looked liked tiny little twigs when she and the kid were walking in the park. It wasn't really noticeable to me during most of the movie, what with her wearing sweaters and all. 

21 hours ago, Ashforth said:

I wasn't glued to the screen, so as I recall, at the beginning it was the brother who was gung ho to sue the nurse and the sister was hesitant. So the switch to her being insistent on suing seemed to be an abrupt, unexplained change. I could be wrong.

At the end, I was more concerned that Autumn Reeser was so fucking thin. Her legs looked liked tiny little twigs when she and the kid were walking in the park. It wasn't really noticeable to me during most of the movie, what with her wearing sweaters and all. 

You're totally right and that's one of the things that kinda irked me the first time I saw it. The switch was definitely weird and out of nowhere. They could have explained that better.

And true I noticed when they were ice skating she was super thin. I think somewhere I read she was around 5' tall so she's probably a tiny little thing in real life!

Edited by MissyPoo
  • Love 1

I wish they'd show the Garfield Halloween special. I didn't know why they don't anymore. It's pretty good.

It annoys me to no end that they start airing Christmas morning movies by late October, but it takes until mid-October before they start showing Halloween movies (both the literal ones and anything else scary). There's enough that they could air 1--2 every night in October, even if not 24/7.

I have an inexplicable soft spot for the lesser Halloween movies--2,4,5--even though the first is my favorite and the best.

Edited by Camille
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, bmoore4026 said:

It's not Halloween without It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown.

Damn right.

My favorite scene is when Snoopy blows the stray leaf onto the pile Charlie has made. And then they get so angry when Linus comes and destroys it!

I wish they'd stop editing it. So many little bits make it so charming and they keep cutting it for stupid commercials.

Edited by Camille
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

Thank you! I didn’t know that it was going to air again.

You are welcome! ABC usually airs the It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown and A Charlie Brown Christmas twice. A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving is aired once on Thanksgiving eve.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

A Season for Miracles was on this afternoon on HMM.  It's my favorite of the Hallmark Christmas movies. The Hallmark Hall of Fame productions sure were different from the current cookie cutter holiday movies.  Of course it had a happily ever after ending (as do most Christmas stories that aren't The Little Match Girl), and it even had an actual angel, but the characters were a lot more flawed and complex. 

• Love 4

Oh snap. They actually did it. They monetized a version of the Hallmark christmas Bingo game.

https://www.hallmark.com/gifts/party-supplies/party-favors/hallmark-movie-bingo-tear-off-game-pad-102-sheets-1HKC1083.html?source=igodigital

Not as fun as the ones online that target the cliches heh. This year, instead of the online bingo games, I'm taking a tally of certain tropes/cliches to see how many will rack up in each of the movies. 

Also on this auspicious eve of the official beginning of the TV Christmas Onslaught of 2019, I wanted to post a time honored tradition. A revisitation of McSweeney's Christmas for Christmas screenplay draft.

https://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/early-draft-of-hallmark-movie-screenplay-christmas-for-christmas

Also, a couple of updates and notes. I can confirm while Lifetime is airing 24/7 movies, they seem to be still showing their paid programming late at night as well as their required Sunday programming. So that's a bummer. But scrolling forward, I see that they are airing Will You Merry Me?, which is an oldie but a really good and hilarious goodie that's worth checking out. The Christmas Hope is another good one I'm glad they are showing which, if you like your xmas movies on the dramatic but inspirational side, is also worth checking out.

• Love 3

I was looking at the Christmas movie schedules for all 3 Hallmark channels last night.  I'm disappointed that the only movie that specifically deals with Chanukah, Double Holiday, will only be on twice, and in the same week on Tuesday night and Thursday afternoon.  And naturally it's the week I'm home visiting family for Thanksgiving and won't have access to the Hallmark channels.

And since I don't have a dvr, but have an analog VCR that doesn't really talk to my digital cable box (which is hooked up to a 20 year old CRT style tv), I won't be able to record it.

Also hoping I'll get lucky and Nickelodeon will show the Rugrats Hanukkah special.

Edited by dalek
one typo and added movie title
1 hour ago, dalek said:

I was looking at the Christmas movie schedules for all 3 Hallmark channels last night.  I'm disappointed that the only movie that specifically deals with Chanukah, Double Holiday, will only be on twice, and in the same week on Tuesday night and Thursday afternoon.  And naturally it's the week I'm home visiting family for Thanksgiving and won't have access to the Hallmark channels.

There are two new Chanukah movies this year Double Holiday and Holiday Date. With still a month to go before Double Holiday premieres the schedule is probably going to change multiple times. It will probably end up being repeating a lot. 

19 minutes ago, Dani said:

There are two new Chanukah movies this year Double Holiday and Holiday Date.

I hadn't realized there were two.  Will have to look out for Holiday Date.

2 hours ago, Dani said:

There's also at least one on Lifetime Mistletoe and Menorahs about a woman who needs to learn about Chanukah so she approaches a co-worker's friend who needs to decorate his apartment for Christmas.  So a little bit of both and it sounds like it might have potential. 

• Love 4

Who planning to count the number of people of color in these movies? Or better yet, those who are the main character and not the Black Best Friend of the white protagonist?

Which reminds me, BET (I think) is getting into the Christmas craze also. Starting at some point in November, they'll be putting out their own movies.

• Love 2
On 10/24/2019 at 9:33 AM, Camille said:

This SNL skit sums up Hallmark at Christmastime so well it's not funny:

It is always relevant

Although it's been awhile since I've seen one of these movies about Santa's children falling in love.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Camille said:

Who planning to count the number of people of color in these movies? Or better yet, those who are the main character and not the Black Best Friend of the white protagonist?

Which reminds me, BET (I think) is getting into the Christmas craze also. Starting at some point in November, they'll be putting out their own movies.

Someone on Twitter already did it: 

https://twitter.com/SleepyKittyPaw/status/1186682089921564678

OWN is also getting into the Christmas boom as well. Their movies look more promising which I may check out. BET is tentative for me as long as they aren't stereotypical (which would be surprising if they weren't). 

I'm sad there's no Christina Milian xmas movie this year.

Btw, for streamers, Tubi has some Christmas movies up from Ion, UP and some others including A Princess for Christmas. https://tubitv.com/search/christmas & https://tubitv.com/search/holiday

Strangely enough, Hulu is adding more horror titles for November and the only christmas title I see is Holly Hunter's Home for the Holidays which is on Tubi right now.

Meanwhile Netflix is trickling in a few holiday titles over the month: https://ew.com/tv/2019/10/23/everything-coming-to-netflix-november-2019/

I'll have to sift through Prime's catalog to see if they have anything up.

• Love 1

^^Agree. Especially since they've been saying as much on their FB. But on the contrary, even one of the movies they boasted about premiering last year has already been hidden away on the app: https://www.hmnow.com/films/a_majestic_christmas

I checked the website for scheduling and none are listed for the channel.

21 hours ago, dalek said:

If you're looking for old school movies featuring Hanukkah, there's Will You Merry Me? on Lifetime. There would've been Hitched For the Holidays but they yanked that one off the channel and also sent it to HMNow. Which baffles me to this day if Hallmark plans to introduce more Hanukkah themed movies.

• Love 1

I watched both Hallmark preview shows. I like Candace Cameron, and I like Hallmarks. The Mysteries and Movies show did nothing for me. It just didn't click at all.

That being said, at least one of the lead couples was Black

ETA: Maybe two couples. One of the main Hallmark channel movies had a Black guy and a lead who is either light skinned or Hispanic

Edited by Happywatcher
adding more
  • Love 2

Hallmark and Lifetime are really annoying me with their schedule changes. I’m trying to find a list of just the new movies on all the channels but they’re all wrong. 

On 10/19/2019 at 1:30 PM, twoods said:

It’s still not on the schedule yet but the checklist app is showing Mrs. Miracle as one of the movies airing on HMM. 

On 10/24/2019 at 7:59 PM, dalek said:
On 10/24/2019 at 7:39 PM, Dani said:

I hadn't realized there were two.  Will have to look out for Holiday Date.

Just so you know Hallmark’s most recent schedule has moved Double Holiday to December 22nd and Holiday Date was moved to December 14th. 

Edited by Guest

Thank you!

Trying the first Lifetime holiday movie that aired tonight with Megan Hilty and not into it. Her Botox face is so distracting and it’s very low energy. I will give it another try if someone likes it.

• Love 3

Megan Hilty (who I adore) and Marcus Rosner deserved a better movie than what they got.  I like both of them and I think they had a nice vibe but there was no real story or movie there. (I did love the blue denim shirt against Megan's blue eyes.)

On the other hand, Hallmark usually disappoints me but tonight, I really really liked A Merry Christmas Match. The leads had chemistry.  They sparkled.  I especially liked their first exchange at the store. I think I may have even laughed.   The actress who played her friend was really good and I liked the woman who helped her with the pageant.

It was also one of the very rare movies where the right choice was not the small home town but rather it was to go to the city.  Most movies where the leads end up in the city start in the city.  But here, home town was presented as the safe choice but a choice she was making because she was scared of stepping out, taking a leap and pursuing a career and love.  Even the leaping to conclusions/misunderstanding that happened when the other woman (who he was perfectly free to date at that time) appeared, the actress did a good job of selling that the reasons she ran home were more complex than just thinking he was interested in another woman.

I might be watching this one again.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, twoods said:

Trying the first Lifetime holiday movie that aired tonight with Megan Hilty and not into it. Her Botox face is so distracting and it’s very low energy. I will give it another try if someone likes it.

I was disappointed with this one. The storyline was weak, which is no surprise for this genre these days. But the awful, heavy makeup and nasty wig they put on Megan Hilty were the worst characters in the movie. And I mean that literally, they had lives of their own. As it plodded on, I found myself paying more attention to the bad makeup and wig than the story.

The sound in the scenes at the end where she sang at the town's holiday concert was cringeworthy. Why did they do that? It was terrible. Other tv movies manage to produce singing scenes that aren't obviously filtered, manipulated and dubbed.

What a shame, because Hilty is an appealing actress and I thought she was a legitimate singer. Why the hell did they do that to her?

• Love 2

Watching Hope at Christmas-Scottie Thompson's lead character single mom is mad that her ex is taking her daughter cool places for the holiday and thus rejects the love interest of a new, better, man.

Every fourth scene is pimping out books by Nancy Naigle in the background. I fire up her name in google. This chica literally writes about a quarter of all the Hallmarks. I had no idea.

• Love 1

^^^Yup. I love how blatant they were with the pimpage. Like Balsam Hill levels almost.

I broke my list since a couple of watch parties popped up. Watched Merry Christmas Match last night and to be honest, I mainly tuned in to see if Hallmark would go against the grain and let the small town girl move to the city and they did (woo!). Though when she made the choice, the movie just ended which disappointed me because usually they have some sort of ending scene with the leads in their new lives or whatever. But at least it's a step in slight change. I'm glad I tuned in because I wouldn't have seen that glorious pageant scene with the wonderful rendition of "If Santa Was a Football Hero".  Not sure if I'll watch it again but if I see it while surfing and it's on, I may put it on for my background.

Also started watching Christmas Kisses & Mistletoe Kisses though it wasn't on my list. This one was low energy. Jill was great but Hallmark did one of those things where they have two guys, one the ruse and the other the lead. They already spoil themselves with casts lists and posters so I know she was going to end up with the boring billionaire. The ruse doctor seemed more interesting and lively so when they introduced him early set him up and then sidelined him for the billionaire guy, I was pretty much over the movie.

I think I'm 0 for 2 so far this year on the enjoyment scale but scored a 3 on my Xmas Movie Cliche/Trope Tally list.

• Love 1