Type keyword(s) to search

Current Plots Discussion: Actually Today's Episode

Message added by scarynikki12

Spoilers are not allowed in this thread. Period. Any posts that include spoilers (and casting information qualifies) will be removed. There are several other threads that allow spoilers so take that discussion to one of them.

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, kitmerlot1213 said:

I liked today's episode.  I liked watching Gabi realize that Raines was criminal but he wasn't a cold-blooded killer. and she called him out on his actions while not being a Dario apologist.  I was proud of her for not cowering in fear.

I'm also rather enjoying the Tripp/Claire/Theo scenes because Theo is handling the entire situation like the petulant little bitch he is.  I really want Claire and Tripp to genuinely fall for each other and Theo can just live with his immaturity.

Yeah. It kind of feels like classic soap- a girl using another guy to make the guy she likes jealous, and possibly falling for him for real.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

It's not Kayla's decision to accept donation money.  That would be up to the hospital board.

How can Steve not understand Kayla's position?

Cause he's an ass who never sees or supports Kayla's position unless there is something in it for him.

And if you knew how much I loved the Steve and Steve and Kayla original recipe (I spent countless hours rewatching their love story on YouTube an d did so more than once), you would understand how feeling this way pains my heart.

• Love 3

Tripp is quite capable of donating the money to the hospital anonymously. Salem has lots of other available charities too. The hospital can probably use some medical equipment so it would go to good use.

Adrienne, Justin wouldn't care about your body and how it looks post-surgery. Surely on some level he can sense that something is not quite right with you.

Nice to see Gabi holding her own with Raines.

Theo, you may have to suck it up that Tripp may be moving in. Although I have no idea how the kids can afford such a nice apartment and their clothing and fun when they don't really have decent paying jobs. College will start soon and they will be busy 'studying'.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Chad is paying Theo quite well.

Didn't Kayla say when the Smurfs were moving in that the parents were paying for the apartment?

• Love 8

Oh Ron - why are you writing this mental health facility as if it was operating in the 19th century? I could almost go along with the idea that a doctor who doesn't even work at the facility would be able to imprison to people purely because the director of the facility was on vacation... almost... because clearly there would have been someone there to replace the director in their absence. But now you have orderlies tazing the patients and arranging for them to receive electroshock therapy even when they have completely different issues? That's not even campy anymore...that's just sloppy.

I definitely think mental health facilities need to be held to a higher standard and that there are horrible of abuses of power and dangerous treatments forced on unwilling patients, but this is such a cartoony representation of how a psychiatric facility operates I don't even know what to say. When Abigail was setting fire to things they didn't send her in for electroshock therapy (pity)! Why would Marlena claiming to be herself and John going under various aliases necessitate them being locked up in straight jackets, much less given electroshock?

It really takes away from any entertainment value I was getting from these scenes to have this kind of farcical logic applied to the situation.

I did enjoy them drawing a parallel between Marlena going back to Roman and Nicole possibly falling in love with Eric again. I think this should have been the jumping-off point for Brady's insane jealousy. It didn't feel earned these last few weeks, but for Hattie to start planting seeds of doubt in his mind just for her own amusement, and based on the fact that she's read a file that would clearly detail how Eric and Nicole were lifelong lovers? That I could believe.

Arianne Zucker didn't do such a great job, I feel, in her scene with Holly and Eric at the hospital. I really needed her to take a moment and deliver a heartfelt apology to Eric for being a jerk. She was way more than a jerk in Greece. Today just kind of came off as though she was distracted by the baby and trying to keep her happy in the scene rather than actually mitigating Nicole's monstrous behavior of the last few months. I like that she forgave Eric and all, but how he could ever forgive her I don't know.

Do you think Arianne believes Nicole's outrage was justified all this time? I would think any actor worth their salt would recognize when their character has become an abusive person and seize the opportunity to try and make amends when a new writer corrects course.

Hattie is really being a bitch isn't she? Getting revenge on Andre I can understand but destroying and toying with so many people's lives doesn't make any sense to me.

Is the Dario stuff finally over now?

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • Love 3
46 minutes ago, DisneyBoy said:

Oh Ron - why are you writing this mental health facility as if it was operating in the 19th century? I could almost go along with the idea that a doctor who doesn't even work at the facility would be able to imprison to people purely because the director of the facility was on vacation... almost... because clearly there would have been someone there to replace the director in their absence. But now you have orderlies tazing the patients and arranging for them to receive electroshock therapy even when they have completely different issues? That's not even campy anymore...that's just sloppy.

I definitely think mental health facilities need to be held to a higher standard and that there are horrible of abuses of power and dangerous treatments forced on unwilling patients, but this is such a cartoony representation of how a psychiatric facility operates I don't even know what to say. When Abigail was setting fire to things they didn't send her in for electroshock therapy (pity)! Why would Marlena claiming to be herself and John going under various aliases necessitate them being locked up in straight jackets, much less given electroshock?

It really takes away from any entertainment value I was getting from these scenes to have this kind of farcical logic applied to the situation.

Ron finds mental illness a laugh riot.  Besides his endless trips back to the well of DID on OLTL, he also had two mental patients assault, disrobe and tie up a nun for laughs.

Har har.......

Sensitivity isn't his strong suit.

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, boes said:

Ron finds mental illness a laugh riot.  Besides his endless trips back to the well of DID on OLTL, he also had two mental patients assault, disrobe and tie up a nun for laughs.

Har har.......

Sensitivity isn't his strong suit.

And let us remember how he dealt with Robin Scorpio on GH when she was in captivity. Ron has issues out the wazoo.

• Love 2

I do think DH is doing an excellent job playing both Marlena and Hattie, especially when Hattie tries to play the soothing doctor.  I massively loved how dismissive she was of both Brady and Eric's questioning her--they're both acting way too entitled to know her personal business.

As much as I hate Raines, I loved his calling Rafe "Rafey"--too funny.  Eli is extremely badass and I wouldn't want him angry at me--DAMN!!

• Love 9
1 hour ago, tribeca said:

How does Eric not notice something is wrong with his mom?

It's Eric.  He shares a brain with Brady.  It's the brain Austin used to have.  These three are lucky they manage to get themselves dressed in the morning.

• Love 11

I watched today's show, the first time in longer than I can remember.  I thought some it wasn't bad and the pace of the show was better.

Much to my surprise I enjoyed DH's Hattie pretending to be Marlena, giving blowhard Brady the bum's rush and shooing Eric out of her office.

And VERY MUCH to my surprise, I didn't mind John at all.  It certainly helps that he's no longer dying his hair. 

I liked Eli and I still do.

I would like to like Eric but I still think he's deadly dull.

And Daniel is STILL being mentioned??

But Brady and Rafe.......those guys have two settings and two settings only, raging asshole or mouthy prick.  There was Brady, bossing around Fake Marlena in her own office and running the show with Nicole because da wimmins are just too dumb to do it on their own.  He always bounces back to being an unpleasant, controlling jerk.

And Rafe, as usual, had to scream at somebody and this time it was Eli.  Waste of oxygen, Rafey Hernandez.   But Hope's got him....couldn't happen to a more deserving woman.

Edited by boes
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, TigerLynx said:

It's Eric.  He shares a brain with Brady.  It's the brain Austin used to have.  These three are lucky they manage to get themselves dressed in the morning.

Hey, now! Add them all together and I bet they would make up...half a human brain! (A whole one is far too generous.)

• Love 6
2 hours ago, TigerLynx said:

You win quote of the day.  Why is it so hard for Days to write complex men in this age range?   I mean as much as we complain about the show the women hands down are written with so much more character and nuance.  Nicole and Chloe are not always greatly written but these two are so many miles ahead of their contemporaries Brady and Eric.

Lucas is probably the best written for this age group and he is mostly sidelined.  I appreciate Ron with bringing him more to the forefront.  So hopes that continues and Bryan Datillo continues to keep getting good work.

Edited by JBC344
  • Love 6

Nicole, choose yourself and your daughter. Give Brady the heave-ho. If he is controlling the show right now, it won't get better. Unless you stand up for yourself and tell him where to go.

Wouldn't electroshock therapy be a bit much for 'Hattie'? Surely someone at the asylum can read her chart and see that it is unnecessary. Guess they'll drag this storyline on a bit more. Til the doctor gets back from vacation. Did enjoy Hattie going through the psych book looking for conditions. Surely Brady and Eric can sense on some level that 'Marlena' does not behave like this - too outspoken and calling out people on their crap. Whatevs.

Raines sounded low-rent when he was talking to Rafe and Eli and Hope. He usually comes off as more articulate. Maybe that's being the 'bad' person.

Gabi is safe, and has a good head on her shoulders. Maybe she should be a cop instead of Rafe.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Sidney said:

Too bad Raines couldn't put a lot of us out of our misery before the keystone cops showed up.

Whoa, Nelly! The actor playing Raines could match Susan Screechforth Hayes at scenery-chewing, pretty much chomp for chomp! I am glad that Gabi didn't just cower and whine. Looks like she got a couple of smacks in.

Yeah, somebody has to tell Ron that ECT isn't used as punishment. And that orderlies in health care aren't armed with tasers

Edited by Sandman
Tasers, for the love of Gawd.
  • Love 6
25 minutes ago, Sandman said:

Whoa, Nelly! The actor playing Raines could match Susan Screechforth Hayes at scenery-chewing, pretty much chomp for chomp! I am glad that Gabi didn't just cower and whine. Looks like she got a couple of smacks in.

Yeah, somebody has to tell Ron that ECT isn't used as punishment. And that orderlies in health care aren't armed with tasers

Word, Ron is living up to his nickname Reron, he is redoing the Samantha/Marlena story all over again with Hattie.  

• Love 1

Okay.  I'm liking the show a lot lately.  An awful lot.  I'm even watching through every storyline.

. . . But I'm getting close to fast-forwarding the asylum scenes.  Not because of John or Marlena.  They're just fine, and I like that they've got their own agency in this story and are being proactive in trying to get themselves out.  I also appreciate Drake and Deidre's acting in the storyline.  No, I'm tempted to fast-forward their scenes because of Evil Black Orderly.  Even despite being a day player, he makes my blood pressure rise every time he comes on.  At first, I just wanted the guy taken to task severely.  Now I just so desperately want the guy beaten down with everything John, Marlena, or both of them have once this storyline ends.  I have never seen anyone in that profession so nasty and cruel in my entire life.  I really hope he goes down hard at the end of this.  The white orderly John took down today doesn't seem so bad, but the black one is a real piece of work.

Which I'll admit is a good testament to the actor.  He's admittedly nailing how nasty he is.

As for the rest of the stories, I'm glad that Gabi is safe and that Raines has finally been busted.  Surprisingly, everyone did a decent to good job in the scenes.

Enjoyed Eric and Nicole's scenes, as well.

Pretty good day.

Edited by Star Aristille
  • Love 5
On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 11:11 PM, annabel said:

You're not the only one. I hate when people in positions like that are portrayed as being so mean and nasty.

On ‎8‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 1:15 AM, DisneyBoy said:

Asylum/mental institution guards are probably not the most stable or kind-hearted, given the demands of the job.

Well, more of that was on display today. . . .

• Sad 1

Today was good.  Very good.

Starting with the Andre/Kate exchange @Silver Raven mentioned above, the show fired on all cylinders.

There was some sweetness with Chad and Abigail, and some with Sonny and Paul.

And James Reynolds and Aaron D. Spears nailed their confrontation as Abe and Raines went at it for the last time.  (But Raines got sentenced already?  Wow.  Twenty to life seems a bit easy just for counterfeiting, unless Gabi's kidnapping and attempting to murder her were factored in.)  Abe and Valerie had some lovely scenes afterwards, and I liked that Valerie initially wanted Abe to take the necklace back due to how it'd been used, as well as her acknowledgement that she should've trusted that Eli had had a plan the whole time.

J.J. and Lani's scene with Raines was also interesting, and it was at least redemptive for Raines that he was remorseful about running down Abigail.  He clearly liked her from her time working at the station.  But I don't blame J.J. for not forgiving him.

The Deveraux family scenes were nicely done.  Theo and Claire's scenes weren't bad, either, and I like that Theo really is getting jealous of Tripp.  And his reunion with Abe was really sweet and touching.

Nice twist at the end with Andre, courtesy of Hattie!  He totally didn't see that coming!

Wow.  Actual love, romance, family, and even a bit of humor being brought back to the show.  Ron still has his share of problems, but when he's on, he is on.

Edited by Star Aristille
  • Love 5

I missed the first bit of the show today, but watched the rest. Last time I watched was Friday when Gabi was listening to the tape and Raines showed up. So I missed a few days. Who came to Gabi's rescue?

I was so happy Hope & Rafe weren't lurking around the police station with their smug "we'd never break the law" faces. I never had much of an opinion on Rafe before (I missed years, including his arrival in Salem).  I hate him now. And Hope. And totally despise them together.  Maddening, because I always liked Hope. 

So the teen scene is pretty pathetic.  Just Claire & Theo now, right.  And Claire's parents are in Hong Kong and her maternal grandparents are being held prisoner and her aunt/best friend is gone, and her paternal grandmother/best friend's mother probably doesn't think of her anymore since she was mostly just a "best friend" to Ciara. Course she was hardly ever around for Ciara either.

I must have missed why the board was questioning Andre's mental state, but it was fun seeing Hattie get her revenge.

Today was the first time I saw something between Sonny & Paul. Still not crazy about Freddie Smith's acting, which is funny because I liked him back when Will was still alive. 

Anyway, not a bad show today. At least I didn't feel like turning it off, so I guess that's a good thing.

• Love 4
22 minutes ago, buffynut said:

I missed the first bit of the show today, but watched the rest. Last time I watched was Friday when Gabi was listening to the tape and Raines showed up. So I missed a few days. Who came to Gabi's rescue?

Eli, Rafe, and Hope showed up where Raines took her, and they got into a standoff involving Raines holding Gabi at gunpoint.  Before their arrival, Gabi got many blows of her own in on him, so she had her own agency there.  In the end, Eli managed to shoot Raines just when he thought he'd won, and they were able to apprehend him and save Gabi.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, buffynut said:

I was so happy Hope & Rafe weren't lurking around the police station with their smug "we'd never break the law" faces. I never had much of an opinion on Rafe before (I missed years, including his arrival in Salem).  I hate him now. And Hope. And totally despise them together.  Maddening, because I always liked Hope. 

I have always liked Hope, too. And Rafe kills that for me. Dead as a door nail. And it isn't about BO OR NO ONE! I know Peter Reckell is gone. But is it too much to ask that Hope has a love interest that isn't a giant douche?

• Love 4

Nice twist at the end with Andre, courtesy of Hattie!  He totally didn't see that coming!

Why wouldn't he, though? He made Marlena "murder" people as the Salem Stalker, kidnapped Sami after Will's funeral, tried to blow up Rafe...and then during their one-on-one, clearly saw she had nothing but contempt for him. Why would he think for a second that Marlena would write him a good review after she said he hated women? He didn't even give her a reason to want to help him....no bribe, nada, zippo....

I really wish we had a DiMera Enterprises set because there was no reason to hold a press conference in the Square. A board meeting would have made more sense.

I spent five minutes trying to figure out why Jennifer was there at all and then remembered she's a journalist again. Riiiiight.

I love that Raines got to throw in Hope's face how she blew Stefano away and yet her pals on the force covered it all up. I will remember you for that alone, sir.

I'm finally starting to see Valerie as a viable member of the cast. I think she's feeling more at ease.

Sonny looked better today. I think he dropped some weight suddenly and got a haircut. Would have liked to see him and Paul actually go through the experience of moving in with one another (unpacking boxes, making space in drawers, etc). Their relationship is such a skeletal framework it's hard to care. He gave him a baseball ring? Oh right...he played baseball when they met, which we didn't really see. Awww...?

• Love 6

Claire's telling Abe that he just got "sprung" made me laugh--she is from a cop family after all :)

I really love that once again, no one is Abby's family is that excited that she's marrying Chad.  I mean, Jenn and JJ have to realize that most men would shy away from a woman who once set her ex-boyfriend on fire.  They should be glad that Chad still wants to stick around.

I loved Hattie's double-cross of Andre--couldn't have happened to a nicer psycho.

• Love 6
53 minutes ago, kitmerlot1213 said:

I really love that once again, no one is Abby's family is that excited that she's marrying Chad.  I mean, Jenn and JJ have to realize that most men would shy away from a woman who once set her ex-boyfriend on fire.  They should be glad that Chad still wants to stick around.

They are glad that he wants to stick around.  They're just not pleased at the timing.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, kitmerlot1213 said:

Claire's telling Abe that he just got "sprung" made me laugh--she is from a cop family after all :)

I loved Hattie's double-cross of Andre--couldn't have happened to a nicer psycho.

I'd shy away from a woman who set her boyfriend/man who set his girlfriend on fire.  And faked her own death. And also keep my distance a bit until I'm satisfied that she/he is dealing with her mental health issues. Maybe Chad just simply feels obligated and feels some guilt - so it's let's get married again. Dating each other, maybe even living together part-time for a while til Abs has her life back and can make such a large decision. She is an adult and there is nothing that her family can do.

Raines really came across as a thug today.

I enjoyed Andre taking Kate down til the rug was pulled from him. Hattie may not be Marlena, but she has the guts to do what Marlena hasn't done.

Sparkle giving Sonny is baseball ring? Maybe if it was a World Series ring. Would he have to give it back if things don't work out? Or sell it?

• Love 5
2 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

I have always liked Hope, too. And Rafe kills that for me. Dead as a door nail. And it isn't about BO OR NO ONE! I know Peter Reckell is gone. But is it too much to ask that Hope has a love interest that isn't a giant douche?

She had one.  The writers trashed him not once, but twice.  And for no good reason at all.

• Love 8
14 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

I'll bet that one of the greatest baseball pitchers in recent years getting married to a man will probably not be covered by the press, right?

Realistically, it should be. Or be covered by Twitter/Facebook/Instagram, etc.

• Love 3

Well, that was fun to watch and it's been ages since I felt that way.  I'm tuning back in.

I'm out of the loop on a lot, but I'll read the boards and catch up.  

I was comparing what Kate Mansi would have done with her scenes against what the new actress is doing and hands down, new one is better.  And seems even more relaxed in the role since I last watched.

Claire seems much less annoying, more like she was when she first came on.  And NO Ciara, how great is that!?!

And color me shocked at how much I've now enjoyed Fake Marlena TWO days in a row!  I honestly didn't think DH had it in her anymore and I'm so glad to see I'm wrong.

And I see Kate is still having the fruit plate for every meal.

• Love 6
9 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

I'll bet that one of the greatest baseball pitchers in recent years getting married to a man will probably not be covered by the press, right?

8 hours ago, Frozendiva said:

Realistically, it should be. Or be covered by Twitter/Facebook/Instagram, etc.

8 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

Or People.

8 hours ago, Frozendiva said:

Paul's publicist/PR team would have to bring it up with the magazine and probably sell it as a 'story'.

ESPN would be ALL over that shit. Definitely all the places you mentioned but especially ESPN. Paul was famous enough and good enough in MLB (according to the writers) for him to use a fake name in the Salem Inn and to run all over Salem in his hoodie/baseball cap disguise...he'd be of note. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, boes said:

I was comparing what Kate Mansi would have done with her scenes against what the new actress is doing and hands down, new one is better.  And seems even more relaxed in the role since I last watched.

Yeah, they've brought a more mature version of Abigail to the role. And she does seem more comfortable and relax than she did a few moths ago. Now that she's not playing all this heavy dramatic stuff, she's doing a pretty good job with the fun, lighthearted material she's playing.

You can tell how much her and Billy like working together.

• Love 3
17 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

Why wouldn't Chad be next to take over DiMera?

I suppose André thinks that he has a better claim to be Stefano's "heir," as the older son? But the question I keep asking myself is "Why am I supposed to care what André thinks or feels or does in the first place?" André feels betrayed, why, exactly, by his "backstabbing wife"? Why should it matter to me? I don't believe that André is either in love with Kate himself, or jealous of her connection to Roman, or anyone else, for that matter. Actually, I don't believe that André feels. Is André supposed to be some sort of anti-hero? 'Cause that's not gonna sell. I barely understand or care why André feels a connection to Abigail, and I certainly don't believe that he cares anything about Chad.

Why is he even on the canvas at all?

• Love 2

So....I am way behind and have 2 weeks of episodes on dvr and there is no more room so I need to delete....are there any episodes this week or last that are worth keeping until I have time to watch?  I haven't had time to read here much either so I don't know what has been going on.  Last episode I saw was when Morgan Fairchild died and they were all still in the hotel room (2 Fridays ago I think).  TIA for your help!

16 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

This reminds me that I wish they had done more with that aspect - famous athlete comes out and deals with the fallout - when Paul was coming out.  I thought that's where it was going and it would have been a fresher, more interesting spin, but then they veered back to the more classic coming out story.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 3